Canon MX870 series Printer "offline" error message

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
rjbraun

Canon MX870 series Printer "offline" error message

Post by rjbraun »

I am trying to print a short document but keep getting a message that the printer is "offline", even though it is "on" and seems to be "ready". I have tried turning the printer off and on multiple times, in addition to restarting my laptop.

The printer has worked fine in the past, even if I may have had to go through the exercise described above on occasion. I don't print very often, but it is nice to be able to print from home every now and then.

Any tips on what I may need to do to get the printer working again?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.
jebmke

Re: Canon MX870 series Printer "offline" error message

Post by jebmke »

I have the same printer. I use it once or twice a year. A couple of times over the years I have had to delete the printer from my system and reinstall with the original software. I have a low threshold for time investment in diagnosing things that can often be fixed by nuking the existing installation and starting over. Printer issues is one of those areas.

If the printer is not installed with a fixed IP address, this type of glitch often occurs but usually clears when both the printer and the source device are restarted. So that may not be the issue. That said, if you reinstall, consider setting it up with a fixed IP address that is outside the DHCP range of your router if you are comfortable making this kind of tweak. Otherwise, just reinstall using the wizard.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Years ago, I used to have connectivity issues with my printer which connected via wifi. I eventually bought a USB cable and connected it directly to my computer and haven't had any issues since.
kelangov

Post by kelangov »

A reboot of PC helped me solve that error.
Tom_T

Post by Tom_T »

My Canon printer also does this every so often. What works for me is to disconnect the USB cable from the back of the printer, and then reconnect it.
Topic Author
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

OP here. Thank you all for the helpful tips. Sounds like I will need to either reinstall the software or consider buying a USB cable and connecting my laptop to the printer. The USB cable might be the best long-term fix, though I am hesitant to take this route as my laptop is pretty old. My desktop is relatively new, but then it doesn't seem portable enough to use the USB cable each time to print.

In the meantime, I will go to the library (again) for this small print job. Sigh.

Note to my original post: I meant to say that I unplugged / replugged the printer numerous times to no avail (not just turned it off/on).
samiratinitech

Post by samiratinitech »

If your desktop is running Windows, then you may want to check if the Spooler service is running. If it isn’t, then start the service. If it is running, then restart the service.

The Services UI is accessed via the Task Manager. Launch Task Manager and click Services. Search for “Spooler” in the search bar in the Services UI. Right Mouse Button the Spooler service, Start or Restart depending on the state of this service.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

If you have more than one wifi network at home, you might also check to see if both devices are on the same network.
PeninsulaPerson

Post by PeninsulaPerson »

Kenkat wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 1:11 pm
If you have more than one wifi network at home, you might also check to see if both devices are on the same network.

+1

Definitely +1.
Topic Author
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

samiratinitech wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 1:00 pm If your desktop is running Windows, then you may want to check if the Spooler service is running. If it isn’t, then start the service. If it is running, then restart the service.

The Services UI is accessed via the Task Manager. Launch Task Manager and click Services. Search for “Spooler” in the search bar in the Services UI. Right Mouse Button the Spooler service, Start or Restart depending on the state of this service.
Thanks, but my laptop and desktop are both Apple / Macs.

Also, only one wifi network, in response to others' comments.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

I have the same printer and debating whether to simply junk it. I have a B/W laser -- which I don't use much. I can't recall the last time I used the MX870. It collects dust and uses a lot of table space.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Topic Author
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

jebmke wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:58 pm I have the same printer and debating whether to simply junk it. I have a B/W laser -- which I don't use much. I can't recall the last time I used the MX870. It collects dust and uses a lot of table space.
Hmm. It is (was?) a nice printer. It was good (convenient) for copying and scanning, in addition to printing. But, yeah, this last go-around (or two) was kind of a bummer, as I spent a good amount of time "tinkering" and in the end just had to go to the library to handle my printing needs.

I guess I am still hoping I can get it to work. If nothing else, I still have some ink cartridges I would like to use up.

Do new printers take up less space? I would kind of feel reluctant to have no home printer. That said, I can certainly use the space for something else. Though I also feel like once I "give up" the space it will be a pain to reclaim (I joke a bit, but that seems to be the way things work out . .)

Eta: my MX870 resides in a closed cabinet, so at least it's not visible. Still, no question it's precious real estate in my home.