Honda Accord vs Tesla model 3

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
shriram

Honda Accord vs Tesla model 3

Post by shriram »

Hi,

We have been a long term Honda users (10+ years) and in the market to replace our current car (Honda Civic). We are currently considering following options,

* Honda Accord EX (MSRP: $31K)
* Honda Sports Hybrid (MSRP: $34K)
* Tesla Model 3 (MSRP: $39K)

Here are some pros and cons that we have thought about,

* While Honda Accord EX has lower upfront cost, we still need to pay for gas (which is expensive in California). We will typically drive the car for about 150 miles a week (rough estimate).
* We won't be able to benefit from federal tax break on Tesla (due to income restriction). So any savings for buying Tesla will come from not having to pay for gas. We won't be able to charge the car at home (as we need electric panel upgrade for ~$8K + no solar at home). But our employers do provide free electric charging stations.
* The cost of auto insurance is expected to be - Honda Accord EX <= Honda Sports Hybrid < Tesla Model 3
* The cost of auto maintenance is expected to be - Honda Accord EX <= Honda Sports Hybrid < Tesla Model 3
* Although we have excellent credit rating, we will likely pay cash for the car. Here are the auto loan rates for reference,
** Honda accord: 3.9% for 36 months
** Tesla Model 3: 6.5% for 36 months
* The trade-in value for the current car is ~ 8K (based on KBB as well as CARMAX quote).
* We plan to hold on to the car for long time (at least 10 years).

What we like about Honda Accord?

* Well known brand (for reliable cars)
* The car tends to not depreciate quickly.

What we don't like about Honda Accord?

* Nothing specific, we have been pretty satisfied with our previous Honda cars.

What we like about Tesla Model 3?

* Electric car (something new to try out)
* Powerful car (nice acceleration)
* Don't have to pay for the gas on regular basis.

What we don't like about Tesla Model 3?

* Higher maintenance/insurance cost.
* Faster depreciation (at least compared with Honda Accord)
* Completely different way to operate the car (e.g. everything is controlled via the touchscreen display)

Here are the questions that we have

* Any thoughts about Accord EX vs Sports Hybrid ? Are there any limitations in the Accord Hybrid model that we should be aware of (and favor EX model instead) ?
* Given the cost difference between Accord Sports Hybrid and Tesla Model 3 is not much, would it make sense to go for a Hybrid car at this point ? Or should we go for electric car at this point ?
* Are there any other electric cars that you would recommend ? Our budget is ~$40K max (just the MSRP).
TimRCM

Re: Honda Accord vs Tesla model 3

Post by TimRCM »

I try to avoid being too much of a Tesla hater, but between Musk and their extremely shoddy quality and resale value there’s just no way I can justify it right now.

We recently purchased a 2024 Toyota Corolla Hybrid SE AWD. Extremely well equipped, 50+ mpg, and $27k out the door before local taxes. I couldn’t be happier with that decision and I’m sure Honda is competitive with it.
holawhatup1

Post by holawhatup1 »

I'd go with a Toyota, Kia or Hyundai. Honda's now are way overpriced compared to these other three
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

Have you test driven both? That can help provide a lot of clarity
buckstar

Post by buckstar »

Do you ever drive long distances?

If so, do you have another vehicle? If not, I would take that into consideration. It's no fun going out of your way to find a charging station and then having to wait while it charges during a road trip.
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

Lots of these Tesla threads popping up. My take is there's no reason to switch if you've been content with the current product. I've been following the technology for many years and it's much better to watch from the sidelines, take test drives, build your Tesla online, watch the prices and interest rates fall, while listening to good and bad reviews from owners. Gas costs a lot but so does electricity, supercharging, or solar panels. I'm currently paying less than $700/year for gas for my 11k miles a year Prius. It's not much. It takes 2 minutes MAX to fill and range is 500 - 600 miles.
I'm tempted to buy a Tesla but having a worry free, cheap to insure, and slow depreciating Toyota (or Honda) is tough to beat.
Light weight baby!
billaster

Post by billaster »

I think EVs are great if you can charge them at home. If you can't, you are giving up one of the most important convenience factors and you will always find yourself concerned about charging.

If you want to be an early adopter for non-home and public charging, recognizing the possible inconvenience, I would recommend finding the cheapest used EV you can find and use that to experiment. If that works out for you, you can move up to a newer EV with confidence.
Eno Deb

Post by Eno Deb »

Writing this as a Tesla owner (since 2018):

- Don't overestimate the savings from not using gas. With the high electricity prices in CA, you won't save much unless you can charge at work for free. But keep in mind that work chargers are usually Level 2 and it takes hours to charge; also check how crowded the charging spots are, given how many Teslas and other EVs drive around in CA.
- I would not recommend an EV if you can't charge at home. It'll become a hassle at some point. But if you can charge at home, it's super convenient. If you have a dryer outlet in/near the garage you may not need a panel upgrade.
- Car insurance for me isn't much more expensive than my previous hybrid car, but of course YMMV.
- Maintenance cost for a Tesla is not high at all unless perhaps if you have an accident. I've been driving mine for close to 6 years now and the only maintenance cost was a new set of tires and a new low-voltage battery for about $100.

And yes, the car is fun to drive. But there are annoying quirks too. The automatic rain wipers never worked reliably (because the "genius" decided they could save $10 for a rain sensor and attempt to do it with the autopilot camera) and operating them manually is a pain because you need to use the screen. The current models also have some really annoying quirks (e.g. they have replaced the stalk for the turn signal with touch buttons on the steering wheel, which is incredibly unergonomic).

All that said, my next car will be an EV again, but not a Tesla. I don't like the way they conduct business; some things (like their "Full Self Driving") are borderline fraud. As you noted the erratic price drops killed the resale value for existing owners. And the less said about Musk the better ...
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

I’ve owned both, and was completely happy with both. The current line up of Honda engines is weak, in my opinion. The V6 is gone. Somehow, Honda has really fallen behind when it comes to engines.

As someone else said, don’t get too excited about fuel savings with the Tesla. The savings are there, but honestly, the break even point is so far out in the future it’s silly.

I like the recommendation about about the Corolla hybrid. In your shoes, I’d throw that in for comparison as well.
TravellingTechOnFire

Post by TravellingTechOnFire »

Do you have regular 110 volt electrical outlets in your house? If you do, you can absolutely charge a Tesla at home without spending a lot of money for a level 2 charger. Just plug it in to a normal electrical outlet, and the car will charge about 40-60 miles/night. If you are only driving about 150 miles/week, you should be able to top off every night and wake up with a "full tank".

IMO, moving to an EV isn't *always* about whether you can get the 10 year TCO *significantly* lower than a similar ICE car......sometimes it's ok to do it because it's a better car and you won't be burning fossil fuel for another decade with a brand new ICE car. It may come out cheaper than an Accord....charging at home during off peak hours, no gas, no oil changes, and likely no routine brake maintenance for the foreseeable future.

Spending $39k on a full EV is likely to come out with a lower TCO than a $33k ICE car, or at least close enough that you might as well go with the better option.

I've owned both Tesla and non-Tesla EV's. With the drastic improvement in build quality in recent years, I wouldn't take a non Tesla EV at this point unless you plan to never take a road trip, ever. The entire Tesla eco-system is just too drastically superior.

Maintenance costs tend to be quite low on most EV's. We've driven a total of about 45,000 miles on two EV's, and the sum total of our maintenance has been 5 gallons of washer fluid. In the process of selling our non-Tesla EV as we need to drive long distance fairly often.
Eno Deb

Post by Eno Deb »

TravellingTechOnFire wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 7:17 pm Do you have regular 110 volt electrical outlets in your house? If you do, you can absolutely charge a Tesla at home without spending a lot of money for a level 2 charger. Just plug it in to a normal electrical outlet, and the car will charge about 40-60 miles/night.
With a regular 120V/15A outlet you can only charge about 3-4 miles per hour. If you come home from a trip with an empty battery it takes forever. What works better for overnight charging is a 240V outlet (e.g. a dryer or welding outlet).
bendix

Post by bendix »

shriram wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 5:51 pm Hi
I had the Accord as a rental car recently. I find it to be an amazing car. Drives exactly the way I like it.

If my wife wasnt set on an SUV, I would much consider it. Have you considered the hybrid?
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

Eno Deb wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 7:38 pm
TravellingTechOnFire wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 7:17 pm Do you have regular 110 volt electrical outlets in your house? If you do, you can absolutely charge a Tesla at home without spending a lot of money for a level 2 charger. Just plug it in to a normal electrical outlet, and the car will charge about 40-60 miles/night.
With a regular 120V/15A outlet you can only charge about 3-4 miles per hour. If you come home from a trip with an empty battery it takes forever. What works better for overnight charging is a 240V outlet (e.g. a dryer or welding outlet).
And when it gets really cold, your charging rate will be way way lower on 110. I’ve had times when it wouldn’t charge at all on 110.
TravellingTechOnFire

If you read the original post, OP said it is $8k to upgrade electrical service for l2 charging. We agree they can charge plenty overnight i.e 40-60 miles on level 1 as I said. In the OP's case, or anyone's for that matter, a road trip isn't an issue. Just charge enough at the last SC stop before getting home. Then top off nightly as I mentioned. Also, they said their employer offers charging which is almost always level 2 and free. So again, a non issue.
Last edited by TravellingTechOnFire on Sun May 12, 2024 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TravellingTechOnFire

Normchad wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 8:03 pm
And when it gets really cold, your charging rate will be way way lower on 110. I’ve had times when it wouldn’t charge at all on 110.
Luckily, since this thread is about the OP and not your specific case, it is not an issue. They can also charge at work, most likely free and level 2.
9Iron

Post by 9Iron »

Not sure if you compared the Accord Sport hybrid with the Accord EX-L hybrid, but there is a difference in fuel economy:

Sport is 46 / 41 / 44
EX-L is 51 / 44 / 48

https://automobiles.honda.com/accord-se ... id-upgrade
Eno Deb

Post by Eno Deb »

TravellingTechOnFire wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 8:14 pmSo we agree they can charge plenty overnight.
No, we don't agree. Charging from a 120V outlet is at best a stopgap. I speak from experience.
DIYtrixie

Post by DIYtrixie »

shriram wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 5:51 pm Hi,

We have been a long term Honda users (10+ years) and in the market to replace our current car (Honda Civic). We are currently considering following options,

* Honda Accord EX (MSRP: $31K)
* Honda Sports Hybrid (MSRP: $34K)
* Tesla Model 3 (MSRP: $39K)
I’ve had a Tesla 3 since 2019. Easily the best car I’ve ever owned. Super fun to drive. I charge at home with a standard 220 V outlet. If you have a 110 V outlet in your garage and the capacity to charge at work for free (without a particularly lengthy commute), you’re golden — this is basically the setup my sibling uses, for their Tesla 3.

I do not understand all the hating on supercharging for long trips. I’m no Musk fan, but the placement of supercharging stations makes it super convenient to combine supercharging with a potty break, leg-stretch, coffee or lunch. Everyone needs to stop occasionally, right? Sheesh: supercharging my Model 3 only takes 20-30 min.
sk2101

Post by sk2101 »

I am probably the odd one, but I have a problem with me not being able to get the tax credit while most people do. That alone would make me not buy the Tesla, even though I have no complaints about the car itself and I am a big Musk fan.
Eno Deb

Post by Eno Deb »

Normchad wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 8:03 pmAnd when it gets really cold, your charging rate will be way way lower on 110. I’ve had times when it wouldn’t charge at all on 110.
Well, that's not a problem in most areas in CA. :wink:

But yes, charging from 120V is a pain. I tried that initially hoping to combine that with charging at work. But it was really inconvenient because the charging was so slow that I often had to go to a supercharger. No fun having to sit around at a supercharger for 20 minutes when you need to get to an urgent appointment, or doing the same when you come home tired from a long trip. Then I found that the chargers at my work were constantly occupied. Quite often there were no spots available when I arrived in the morning, so you have to interrupt work to check for free spots. If you constantly have to worry about charging it just makes things stressful and takes away all spontaneity.

I ended up installing a switchbox for the dryer outlet in my garage, so I can easily switch between dryer and car without wearing out the contacts. Now I can charge more than 20 miles/hour in my garage and don't worry about it at all anymore.

BTW, it's also a financial issue. Super chargers in CA metro areas are "super" expensive during the day now, and the off-peak rates for most electric plans in CA begin at 11pm or midnight, so you don't have all that much time to charge if you have to leave in the morning.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

Eno Deb wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 8:25 pm
TravellingTechOnFire wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 8:14 pmSo we agree they can charge plenty overnight.
No, we don't agree. Charging from a 120V outlet is at best a stopgap. I speak from experience.
I did 120 for about 4 months. It was okay. It worked. I had to charge every day though. (But if I had a daily commute over 60 miles, it would have been slightly problematic).

When I switched to 240, it was an enormous improvement. I only had to charge once a week, and never had to worry about “what if I get home late at night, then have to,leave early in the morning for someplace far away”.

Highly recommend 240. But yes, 120 worked for me just fine. I would never recommend an EV to anybody who couldn’t charge at home.
id0ntkn0wjack

Post by id0ntkn0wjack »

This is not Tesla specific, but I am seriously considering an EV as my next purchase as part of a whole house distributed energy system with the car’s battery serving as backup power in case of electrical outage.

Just another point in favor of an EV that you might not have factored.
I moved 10% of my equities into BLV (Vanguard Long Term Bond ETF) in January 2021. Follow my advice at your own peril.
Northern Flicker

Post by Northern Flicker »

Given the Accord prices, you may want to consider a Camry Hybrid. A regular Accord will use about 50% more gas. You also may want to investigate the reliability of A/C's in recent year Hondas. A/C's are not cheap to repair these days.
RJC

Post by RJC »

The new Tesla Model 3s do not have USS, turn-stalks, gear stalks, etc. unlike previous versions.
BeaverBeliever

Post by BeaverBeliever »

Have had a Model 3 x 3 years. Total maintenance: $72 (tire rotation and wiper fluid)
gotoparks

Post by gotoparks »

I have a Honda Acord LX currently. The car holds up well although I drive about 8k miles a year so it is not a workhorse. My only data point with it is I've had two warranty issues. The first is the air conditioning system failed and there was a warranty issue. For this Honda extended their normal warranty to 10 years. I found out on the internet after being quoted about 2K to fix from an auto shop I use. The second is a safety recall which the parts are not available and I have to wait until I get a second letter from Honda saying I can get fixed. The car runs but I prefer to have fixed right away since they say it is a safety issue.
BHFTW

Post by BHFTW »

With free L2 charging at work in California, I'd definitely own an EV (in fact I do).

Let's do math. The regular gas price near where I live in CA is $5.5/gallon. The OP drives at least 150*52=7800 miles/year (btw: with 150 miles per week, you'd only need to charge once a week at work - there shouldn't be much hassle at all).

Honda Accord EX gets a combined MPG of 33. So the gas cost would be 7800/33*5.5=$1300.
Honda Accord Sport Hybrid gets a combined MPG of 44. So the gas cost would be 7800/44*5.5=$975.

I think Tesla's higher insurance is likely offset by its lower maintenance cost and the gas savings ($975-$1300 a year) will be the net difference.

Since the OP is not a high mileage driver, I would also look into buying a used Tesla from Hertz. They are selling 2023 Model 3's with 40000~50000 miles (a lot of miles for a 1~2 years old car) for around $25000. I bet they have at least 10 years / 78000 miles of useful life left (likely with another $5000-$10000 residual value).
MCST

Post by MCST »

Love my Tesla, and it’s hard going back to an ICE car when I have to drive one. I am sold on EVs. But I wouldn’t get an EV if I couldn’t charge at home.

If you plan on staying in your home (or even selling it) you may want to consider upgrading the panel. It would be beneficial to you so that you could charge an EV, but also a selling point to the next owner.

My office has chargers in the parking garage. Almost always taken by the time I get there. I wouldn’t bank on a spot being available when you need it.
vfinx

Post by vfinx »

shriram wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 5:51 pm We won't be able to benefit from federal tax break on Tesla (due to income restriction).

Are there any other electric cars that you would recommend ? Our budget is ~$40K max (just the MSRP).
The Hyundai Ioniq 5 comes to mind. They are giving a $7.5k factory incentive (even with a cash purchase). The MSRP will technically be over $40k, but you can subtract $7.5k from it (and then negotiate a good chunk more from that I imagine). During a test drive, I thought it was quite good.

That said, I recently rented a Honda Accord (latest generation) and thought it was excellent. It was a base model, and I suspect one of the higher trims would have been even nicer. Honestly, I was surprised how much I enjoyed driving it.
avecmoi

Post by avecmoi »

My family has 3 Teslas (3, Y, and X) thus far. LOVED driving the Model 3 long range dual motor which was my favorite car I have ever driven from probably 20 different make and models between owning and car rentals. We have solar panels and love charging at home. I agree with others, not worth the hassle if you cannot charge at home level 2.

We had a 2014 Accord previously. My wife and I are sad whenever we have to drive any gas car.

People are funny, repeating media talking points instead of actual experience. Try driving both and see what you like. California has the best supercharger network in the nation.

Consider taking Model 3 performance out for a drive. Not a logical choice, but it may put a grin on your face every time you get behind the wheel.
just frank

Post by just frank »

I would wager than in 10 years the resale on the three vehicles would be:

Tesla > Honda Hybrid > Honda.

Just saying.
ShadowRegent

Post by ShadowRegent »

9Iron wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 8:24 pm Not sure if you compared the Accord Sport hybrid with the Accord EX-L hybrid, but there is a difference in fuel economy:

Sport is 46 / 41 / 44
EX-L is 51 / 44 / 48

https://automobiles.honda.com/accord-se ... id-upgrade
The reason for the fuel economy difference is the wheel size difference. We considered an EX but ultimately got an EX-L and are so happy we did. Fuel economy is as advertised (often better). We also read that the naturally aspirated engine in the hybrid tends to be more reliable than the turbo used in the non-hybrid.

As someone who followed Tesla for a while and nearly bought one a while back, I'd personally steer clear right now-- a lot of quality issues and recent turmoil at the company causing warranty and service delays.
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

shriram wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 5:51 pm We won't be able to charge the car at home (as we need electric panel upgrade for ~$8K + no solar at home).
Are you sure about this? I got a bunch of different quotes to upgrade my panel, but decided just to use 110v which has worked fine for me. Takes a little bit to charge up to 80% after a long road trip, but I'm fine with that.
zie

Post by zie »

ThankYouJack wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 7:37 am
shriram wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 5:51 pm We won't be able to charge the car at home (as we need electric panel upgrade for ~$8K + no solar at home).
Are you sure about this? I got a bunch of different quotes to upgrade my panel, but decided just to use 110v which has worked fine for me. Takes a little bit to charge up to 80% after a long road trip, but I'm fine with that.
110V charging works, but like you mentioned, you want a fair bit of downtime between large uses of the vehicle and be in a mild climate(in cold climates it's possible all the 110V electricity is being used up just trying to keep the battery warm, so no charging can occur).

Another option one can do to get faster charging, is a switch, so you can say run your electric dryer OR charge your car, but you can't do both at the same time. You can buy a fancy automatic switch, or you can spend less and have a physical switch. This would let one do Level 2 charging without having to upgrade the panel. Certainly would be cheaper than the ~ $8k panel upgrade, in exchange for some convenience, though with an automatic switch with say the dryer as priority, that would probably eliminate almost all of the inconvenience.
Whether rich or poor, a young woman should know how a bank account works, understand the composition of mortgages and bonds, and know the value of interest and how it accumulates. -Hetty Green
GT99

Post by GT99 »

I've had a Model 3 for over 4 years, and have had Hondas most of the past 30 years (sold the most recent last year). For me, the Tesla would be a no-brainer, but it really depends on priorities. A few points:

-People think of Hondas as more dependable than most cars, but their quality ratings have dropped significantly in recent years. They're pretty average now in most ratings.

-Prior to the Tesla, we had a Leaf for 6 years - we charged at home on 110v outlet for 9 years. It was not an issue. We finally installed an L2 last year when we got a plug-in hybrid as our 2nd vehicle. On 110v, the Model 3 averaged 6 miles per hour charging speed if the battery was really low, then 5 mph up until about 70%, then it would drop to 4 mph.

-Tesla's poor quality reputation generally comes from minor annoyances, like the previously mentioned wiper issue (which is legitimately annoying). I know tons of Tesla owners (they're probably the most common car in my area) and I don't know anyone who's had a significant issue.

-As much as I don't like having almost all the controls on a touch screen, Tesla did a really good job of making it intuitive. My wife drives a 2023 Volvo, and it's really annoying to me as it's far less intuitive, less flexible, and harder to use despite having lots of buttons and knobs, which I otherwise prefer.

-IF you can charge at home or work, don't underestimate the convenience of never having to go to a gas station. But I wouldn't own an EV if I couldn't. Lack of maintenance is also nice - just replaced my tires and that was the 2nd time I had to take the Tesla somewhere for service in 4 years (first time was a recall). Over the first 4 years It's been the lowest maintenance cost vehicle I've ever owned.

-The Tesla is going to be wayyy more fun to drive than the Honda. This is important to me, but obviously isn't a priority for everyone.
farkis

Post by farkis »

shriram wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 5:51 pm
What we don't like about Tesla Model 3?

* Higher maintenance/insurance cost.
* Faster depreciation (at least compared with Honda Accord)
* Completely different way to operate the car (e.g. everything is controlled via the touchscreen display)
We traded in a Honda CR-V for a Tesla Model 3, our insurance actually went down.
We have over 120k miles on our 3. Maintenance was new tires and windshield wipers and windshield wiper fluid. That's it.
Still on the original brakes (regen is fantastic!)

It is a completely different way to operate a car. But it is fantastic! It's an amazing car, and gets better with each software update.

Check out software updates here: https://www.notateslaapp.com/software-updates/
You'll see all the new stuff they keep adding!

This time reminds me of the old computer days when everybody was stuck in DOS and then Windows and the Mac first came out. Both Jobs and Gates were polarizing too, just like Musk. But that's how you get to change the world.
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

zie wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:21 am
110V charging works, but like you mentioned, you want a fair bit of downtime between large uses of the vehicle and be in a mild climate(in cold climates it's possible all the 110V electricity is being used up just trying to keep the battery warm, so no charging can occur).
How cold? It gets down to the teens (or lower) where I am and charging on my 110v works fine. My car is kept in my garage, maybe it wouldn't work as well if I charged outside in the teens.
MH2

Post by MH2 »

Tesla over the Honda, simply because of the 1.5 engine and the CVT.

39K buys a lot of car. If the original poster is willing to look at alternatives to the Accord, such as the Civic, GR Corolla, VW GLI, VW Arteon, or any number of gently used alternatives...
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

GT99 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:26 am -The Tesla is going to be wayyy more fun to drive than the Honda. This is important to me, but obviously isn't a priority for everyone.
For me that's a big factor.

After I test drove a Prius I knew I never wanted one (great practical car, but not for me).

I also rented a Camry not long ago for a month and really disliked it.

After I test drove a Tesla I instantly wanted one.
mpnret

Post by mpnret »

Normchad wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 8:55 pm
I did 120 for about 4 months. It was okay. It worked. I had to charge every day though. (But if I had a daily commute over 60 miles, it would have been slightly problematic).

When I switched to 240, it was an enormous improvement. I only had to charge once a week, and never had to worry about “what if I get home late at night, then have to,leave early in the morning for someplace far away”.

Highly recommend 240. But yes, 120 worked for me just fine. I would never recommend an EV to anybody who couldn’t charge at home.
I realize L1 charging might not work for everyone but when it does it's a great solution. I have a 2021 AWD model 3 with 353 mile range using the charger that came with the car with the 20a plug from Tesla accessories. Here is a screen capture of it charging @8mi/hr on a 120v 20a circuit: That's about normal from discussions on the Tesla forums. As long as your commute is less than 100 miles you can leave the house with a full tank everyday. 200 amp panel is located in garage right next to the car charging port and I could easily add L2 but don't see the need to. Love my model 3 and will be ordering a new one shortly.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

ThankYouJack wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:54 am
How cold? It gets down to the teens (or lower) where I am and charging on my 110v works fine. My car is kept in my garage, maybe it wouldn't work as well if I charged outside in the teens.
I had an attached 2 car garage in the mid atlantic. Generally speaking, my garage never really got below 40 degrees inside, and charging in those conditions worked just fine.

One trick (that I never needed to use at home) but you could consider when it’s bitterly cold and you’re low on charge, is to pull immediately into your garage and start charging after you’ve finished a decent trip. Reason being the cars batteries will already be warm and ready to accept a charge.

Honestly though, once you go 240, there’s no going back. It’s just so nice and convenient. And if you ever have EV visitors who need to top up, they can do that.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

The Model Y is only a few thousand more (it would be actually cheaper than the 3 if you qualified for the federal tax credit), and currently they're offering 0.99% financing for up to 6 years. It's much more spacious and IMO more comfortable than the sedans you're looking at.

If space isn't the big issue and you want to save some money, get a Civic, maybe the hatchback. It's significantly bigger than your current Civic anyway, and probably more fun to drive than the Accord.
vfinx

Post by vfinx »

mpnret wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:37 am
Normchad wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 8:55 pm

I realize L1 charging might not work for everyone but when it does it's a great solution. I have a 2021 AWD model 3 with 353 mile range using the charger that came with the car with the 20a plug from Tesla accessories. Here is a screen capture of it charging @8mi/hr on a 120v 20a circuit: That's about normal from discussions on the Tesla forums. As long as your commute is less than 100 miles you can leave the house with a full tank everyday. 200 amp panel is located in garage right next to the car charging port and I could easily add L2 but don't see the need to. Love my model 3 and will be ordering a new one shortly.
Impressive. On a mi/hr basis, I barely beat that with my 16A / 240V charger. I guess that works as long as it's a dedicated circuit. Any concerns with overheating on the receptacle?
Eno Deb

Post by Eno Deb »

Tesla has a table showing estimated charging speeds for various types of circuits:

https://shop.tesla.com/product/gen-2-nema-adapters

According to this, a normal 120V/15A (NEMA 5-15 plug) gets about 3 miles/hour on a Model 3. That's roughly what I saw when I used 120V initially. A 120V/20A circuit (NEMA 5-20 plug) gets about 4 miles/hour (which makes sense, given the 33% increased amperage). The display in the app isn't always accurate.

I'm now using a 240V/30A dryer plug (NEMA 14-30) and get a little over 20 miles/hour, which again matches Tesla's table.
samsoes

Post by samsoes »

RJC wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 9:15 pm The new Tesla Model 3s do not have USS, turn-stalks, gear stalks, etc. unlike previous versions.
What's a USS?
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)
Eno Deb

Post by Eno Deb »

samsoes wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 10:46 am
RJC wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 9:15 pm The new Tesla Model 3s do not have USS, turn-stalks, gear stalks, etc. unlike previous versions.
What's a USS?
Ultra-sonic distance sensors. They tried replacing them with camera-based detection, but it's far less reliable (especially in the front, where the cars have no down-facing camera).
Coltrane75

Post by Coltrane75 »

Go with either of the Honda's and I agree with all the other posters listing the issues with Tesla.
zie

Post by zie »

ThankYouJack wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:54 am
Unfortunately I don't have any study or anything to point to, so I don't know at what point the temps really play havoc on charging.

I imagine a lot depends on the temp of the batteries when it's first plugged in. If the batteries are already warm enough to charge(say because you were just driving), then it only has to maintain temp, and not heat the batteries up first.

It depends on if it's 15A or 20A 110V, that extra 5A can make a difference.

I'm glad it's worked out well for you!
Whether rich or poor, a young woman should know how a bank account works, understand the composition of mortgages and bonds, and know the value of interest and how it accumulates. -Hetty Green
TravellingTechOnFire

OK, then it seems you aren't basing this on the OP's needs. OP stated he drive 150 miles/week. A Tesla has ~300 miles of range, and he can charge 40-60 miles/night on level 1. So at the low end, he has ~500 miles of range usage available over the course of a 5 day week. How are you figuring that this would *not* work for the OP compared to spending $8k to upgrade his electrical service for L2 charging? I'm trying to focus on the OP's situation, not other peoples or my own.

I agree with you that L2 is preferable and super convenient....it's what I have despite probably never having technically *needed* it. But if I had to spend $8k to upgrade my electrical service, I'd be charing on L1 still.
Eno Deb

Post by Eno Deb »

TravellingTechOnFire wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 5:12 pm
OK, then it seems you aren't basing this on the OP's needs. OP stated he drive 150 miles/week. A Tesla has ~300 miles of range, and he can charge 40-60 miles/night on level 1.
Charging 60 miles on L1 would take about 20 hours. Long night.