Summer job ideas for 14 year old

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
n171n

Summer job ideas for 14 year old

Post by n171n »

We are looking to get our son a job for the summer. This goal here is not income, but rather about teaching him the value of money, hard work, hustle and humility. He's 14 and has applied/received his work papers/permit.

Most places he's called around town seem to only hire 16+, or are not hiring only for the summer. Ideally, I'd love for him to join up with a local family owned service company (e.g., landscape, plumbing, construction), but I'm not sure they'd hire him with no training and also, there's the safety and insurance concerns. Any suggestions on the types of jobs that he might be eligible for?
Triple digit golfer

Re: Summer job ideas for 14 year old

Post by Triple digit golfer »

Fast food is a possible option. I worked at McDonald's the summer when I was 15.

Another option, if he knows how yet and can do so safely, is mowing, weeding, and other outside lawn/gardening things for people in the neighborhood. Post in the neighborhood Facebook group if you have one, otherwise word of mouth can do the trick.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Under 16 will have a hard time nowadays. Cash only type jobs like grass cutting, clearing out garages-basements, ask elderly neighbors if they have any odd jobs that they assistance with, etc are the usual starting points.
Scooter17

Post by Scooter17 »

Caddy, teaches a number of great lessons and you make straight cash!
toomanysidehustles

Post by toomanysidehustles »

n171n wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:19 pm Any suggestions on the types of jobs that he might be eligible for?
We own a small bicycle manufacturing business and hire 14 year olds. Taping wheels, setting up tires tubeless, down-building built bikes/ wrapping bikes/putting bikes in boxes, printing shipping labels, shipping bikes/small parts, etc.. $15.00 an hour to start. I started in a bike shop at 15 and never left haha!
Last edited by toomanysidehustles on Wed May 01, 2024 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Paper route
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
billfromct

Post by billfromct »

Why not find a job on a farm or orchard? I believe that many states have a lower entry age to work on a farm vs a retail store.

When I was 14, I worked on a CT tobacco (cigar tobacco) farm & worked there from 8th grade through senior high school.

bill
Johnny Thinwallet

Post by Johnny Thinwallet »

I was a golf caddy in the summer starting when I was 13 and did that for five summers through the summer when I was 17. It was tough work the first year - golf bags can be heavy at age 13, but it was much easier by age 14 when I had gotten bigger/stronger. We were paid in straight cash after each round. A neat perk with that job was free golf during two specific days of the week.

Locally here there's a very large amusement park that hires a few kids age 14-15, though most of their jobs (and the park's preference) has a minimum age of 16. Not sure if that's a possible option near you.
Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

Check with your friends who have kids of similar age in the same area.
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

I caddied, cut a few lawns in the summer and shoveled snow in the winter. Some fast food chains (like Chick Fil-A and MCD) will allow 14 year olds to work 3 hour shifts in our area.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

My son is 14 and he does small tasks for our elderly neighbor. Taking in/out his trash, landscape cleanups, etc.
Light weight baby!
bradinsky

Post by bradinsky »

Buy him a lawnmower. In our neighborhood he could make a small fortune, for a 14 year old. That’s one task that many of our neighbors & myself included don’t really mind paying for.
FrugalProfessor

Post by FrugalProfessor »

In the midwest, two of our kids detassled corn starting at the age of 13: https://youtu.be/MfCNIzoCV08

Character building for sure.

Income comes via W2, so you have the paper trail for Roth contributions starting at age 13.
Last edited by FrugalProfessor on Thu May 02, 2024 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
I blog here: https://www.frugalprofessor.com/
leeks

Post by leeks »

It may be hard to get an "on-the-books" job at 14 so try offering services directly to neighbors: dog walking, pet sitting, babysitting, lawn mowing, tutoring, etc. Make up flyers and business cards to hand out.

If you aren't concerned about income, maybe also look into volunteer opportunities. I think our local libraries have volunteer roles for teens.

In our area lifeguards can start at 15 so he should sign up for the training for that if he would be interested for the next summer.
Xrayman69

Post by Xrayman69 »

Take a cpr class and babysitting is a viable option as well.
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

Babysitting seems like a lot of potential risk/liability considering the very low pay?
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
Xrayman69

Post by Xrayman69 »

finite_difference wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:48 pm Babysitting seems like a lot of potential risk/liability considering the very low pay?
I wouldn’t recommend an infant but a school age kid should be ok 5-10 year old. My kid middle school actually has babysitting classes (after school) and some of the middle school kids babysit grade schoolers. $15-20/ hour for a 14 yo seems reasonable to me but whatever.
Horologium

Post by Horologium »

Another vote for golf caddy.

We lived near a very nice private club and, while we could never afford to belong (even if I played golf), all three of my boys were caddies there for several years.

In addition to great tips, they got to golf for free on a very nice course. Even better, as they developed good reputations, members would request them by name. So, when there were tournaments or member events, they worked those too and made really good money.
Horologium

Post by Horologium »

FrugalProfessor wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:24 pm In the midwest, two of our kids detassled corn starting at the age of 13: https://youtu.be/MfCNIzoCV08

Character building for sure.
Woof. :(

I went to school in DeKalb, IL and some of my friends worked detassling corn one summer. Character building for sure! They absolutely hated it.
AllMostThere

Post by AllMostThere »

This age is difficult to find a company to put on payroll. Probably best to investigate options for helping some neighbors with lawncare or other manual labor. Inquire with his High School as some have a database of jobs for highschoolers. Also, with your assistance, supervision and account ownership, put the word out on local Facebook or NextDoor App for 14-year-old looking for lawn work, etc. There will be many individuals willing to help out. Back in the day when I was 12-14 years old, I would ride my bike all over town going from customer to customer to cut grass and other random odd jobs. I only supplied my labor and would use all their tools/equipment. I was constantly cutting grass and often got new customers from neighbors and friends. At this age, I was always employed and had money in my pocket for my summertime fun. While not hard work, it was often HOT work in the summer. I would try to get most done before noon to avoid the afternoon heat. It truly taught me the value of money and the work to obtain. Caddy at local course may be a good idea also, but in my experience the courses have their caddy training in early spring before snow melts and most positions are already filled. Good luck to your son. :beer
Stop thinking about what money can buy. Start thinking about what your money can earn. - Author JL Collins | Dream as if you’ll live forever. Live as if you’ll die today. - Author James Dean
A440

Post by A440 »

Summer camp CIT. Mow lawns for older neighbors. Dog walking.
I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds my future.
fulltilt

Post by fulltilt »

finite_difference wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:48 pm Babysitting seems like a lot of potential risk/liability considering the very low pay?
Very low pay? Are you sure? Going rate around here is $7-10/hr/kid.
Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens. -- Jigoro Kano
fulltilt

Post by fulltilt »

bradinsky wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:19 pm Buy him a lawnmower. In our neighborhood he could make a small fortune, for a 14 year old. That’s one task that many of our neighbors & myself included don’t really mind paying for.
Totally agree!

It also a business that you can build up over time as you get more customers, you can buy bigger mowers and build it into something more substantial.

Over time, I watched a kid grow his mowing business from having to mow my lawn with MY mower to a full on landscaping business he operated through high school.
Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens. -- Jigoro Kano
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

Virtually anyone I talk to would love to hire a responsible teenager to mow their yard in the summer vs hire professional lawn care services

My bet is if he walked around a neighborhood and offered to mow yards he’d get a nice little clientele list in short order. The big upside is he’d probably make more money than something like fast food and he might like being his own boss
“Anyone may arrange his affairs so that his taxes shall be as low as possible; he is not bound to choose that pattern which best pays the treasury.” | ― Judge Learned Hand
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

Our kids got fast food jobs at 15, so not sure about 14. Chick-fil-a or Culver’s seem like good places for kids to work.
CaptainT

Post by CaptainT »

For a summer job look where there is an increase in work during the summers. Do tickets at a movie theater or some summer attraction. Can he apply to scoop ice cream at the local ice cream place? Basically who needs to be hiring summer only staff locally? Particularly if they need customer service summer only staff.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Park district camp counselor.
oldfatguy

Post by oldfatguy »

I find it interesting how many "lawn mowing" recommendations there are. I haven't seen a kid/teen mowing anyone's lawn (including their own) in decades.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

In VA, a 14 year old must have a work permit. https://virginiarules.org/varules_topic ... mployment/

There are exceptions, but having the form might open doors for folks who are hesitant about hiring someone so young.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
Tundrama

Post by Tundrama »

n171n wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:19 pm We are looking to get our son a job for the summer. This goal here is not income, but rather about teaching him the value of money, hard work, hustle and humility. He's 14 and has applied/received his work papers/permit.

Most places he's called around town seem to only hire 16+, or are not hiring only for the summer. Ideally, I'd love for him to join up with a local family owned service company (e.g., landscape, plumbing, construction), but I'm not sure they'd hire him with no training and also, there's the safety and insurance concerns. Any suggestions on the types of jobs that he might be eligible for?
If ya have no luck, and have the cash, give this a try.

At the age of 12, my son wanted a job. I ended up contacting a horse stable and offered my kid to work free, about 10 hours a week, cleaning stables and assisting where needed. I paid him $5 per hour. Btw, they let him do some riding for free also.

Long story short, it worked out great as he did it for about a year and a half until he found a job at a grocery store who could hire 14 year olds at the time.

I can’t say for sure doing so had any great impact on his work ethics, but he is a working beast at the age of 29. For sure, a little horse poop under the finger nails helps humble a person.
AerialP

Post by AerialP »

billfromct wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 8:10 pm Why not find a job on a farm or orchard? I believe that many states have a lower entry age to work on a farm vs a retail store.

When I was 14, I worked on a CT tobacco (cigar tobacco) farm & worked there from 8th grade through senior high school.

bill
Farmwork was going to be my first suggestion. Even crewing a booth at a Farmer's Market, the larger farms often hire folks to show up at the market to meet the farm truck and then help all day with the unload/set-up, the selling, and then the breakdown/load-out.

Other options which came to mind:
-depending on the grocery chain could bag groceries & corral shopping carts,
-local library entry-level position reshelving books and tidying up,
-local & state parks running daycamps always need staffers/counselors (or paid counselors-in-training).

I personally would steer my child away from working in the restaurant industry - across the entire spectrum of fast food to exclusive membership clubs there is a lot of substance abuse and questionable lifestyle exampling behind the scenes (from a lifetime of anecdotes and some fleeting formative personal experiences).
"An underappreciated investing truth is that you don’t need to make many great decisions to do well over time. You just have to consistently not blow it for long periods of time." M Housel
Onlineid3089

Post by Onlineid3089 »

I worked in hog barns. Primarily vaccinating, but occasionally power washing or doing chores. Other peers that I'm aware of working at that age (about 25 years ago for my class) worked either farm related jobs or construction. Eventually a few people worked at grocery stores, restaurants, etc but I don't recall if any were doing it that early.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

I feel like everyone in this thread needs to post the year they were born.
DarkJimoth

Post by DarkJimoth »

14 year old daughter refs soccer. We live in a bigger city and they always seem to be looking for refs. For the really little kids it pays 16 per game and goes up to 40 for 18 year olds. They can only ref people younger than themselves and she ends up as an assistant ref for kids in the 12 year old range.
She ends up getting 4 games most Saturdays. Gives her some earned spending money without being a huge commitment as they set their availability in an app allowing flexibility.

It might not work for summer as they only have a fall and spring season, but it is something longer term you might want to look into. Good interactions, gives more authority than most low level jobs, and provides decent pay she can keep doing it through high school if she wants. She seems really happy with it.
Gufomel

Post by Gufomel »

barnaclebob wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:57 am I feel like everyone in this thread needs to post the year they were born.
Lol. Yes, I half expected after reading long enough to come across a post “Clean guns. That’s what I did as a kid in the civil war.”
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

Gufomel wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 11:10 am
barnaclebob wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:57 am I feel like everyone in this thread needs to post the year they were born.
Lol. Yes, I half expected after reading long enough to come across a post “Clean guns. That’s what I did as a kid in the civil war.”
I was a chimney sweep until I got too big to fit down the flu of the asbestos factory my pappy worked at.

OP, ref'ing childrens sports has my vote.
bombcar

Post by bombcar »

Tundrama wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:04 am At the age of 12, my son wanted a job. I ended up contacting a horse stable and offered my kid to work free, about 10 hours a week, cleaning stables and assisting where needed. I paid him $5 per hour. Btw, they let him do some riding for free also.
This is a really good option to consider, as volunteer positions for teenagers are often easier to find than paid, and you can "get in the door" that way.

Around here the fast food places are desperate to hire anyone, starting at 14 apparently.

I'd hire someone who offered to mow OR pick up leaves/sticks from our yard at anything reasonable.
greg24

Post by greg24 »

Baseball/softball umpiring, in addition to the soccer ref idea above. There is a dire need for officials, and it is a pretty good job for a 14 year old.
one_speed

Post by one_speed »

Lifeguard?
JPM

Post by JPM »

b 1948, DW 1949. Age 14 I bussed tables at a restaurant-diner combo with a W2 and did baseball umpiring for cash and DW was a Park District camp counselor for boys 8-10. At 13 I did odd jobs for cash at a low-rent golf course.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Our local amusement park hires temporary summer workers staring at age 14, is that an option in your area?
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
Halicar

Post by Halicar »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 7:27 pm Paper route
If this is a serious suggestion it is several decades out-of-date.
illumination

Post by illumination »

My daughter in that age range is getting a job at a country club where she helps with a kid's day camp. They're happy to pay her around $15 an hour, labor is so hard to come by now.

I'd see if nearby country clubs or golf courses need help, lots of roles for a younger person to just do things like carry and clean clubs, day camps, golf cart cleaning, etc.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

one_speed wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 11:22 am Lifeguard?
Need to be 15 years old to take red cross life guard cert classes and no reputable place will hire you without that (or an equivalent if such a thing exists).
CAsage

Post by CAsage »

Counselor in training at local summer camps, or part time child sitting? Most 14 year old boys aren't quite ready for babysitting... but I did hire a high schooler one summer to pick up my youngest from their 9-3 camp and hang out til we got home. Any local parks programs? Summer day camps? Tutoring if he has any exceptional skills to pass on? With younger kids out for summer. more parents need someone.
Salvia Clevelandii "Winifred Gilman" my favorite. YMMV; not a professional advisor.
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

n171n wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:19 pm Any suggestions on the types of jobs that he might be eligible for?
Where in your area have you seen people who looked super young working a job? Those are the jobs.
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
one_speed

Post by one_speed »

barnaclebob wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 12:30 pm
one_speed wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 11:22 am Lifeguard?
Need to be 15 years old to take red cross life guard cert classes and no reputable place will hire you without that (or an equivalent if such a thing exists).
Ah, gotcha thanks. When I grew up in the 1800's was envious of the lifeguards enjoying poolside life while I bagged groceries for the elderly.
BeerTooth

Post by BeerTooth »

my 14-year-old son is a referee for youth soccer games and he loves it. $30/hour plus a good learning experience about responsibility and fair-play.
BeerTooth

Post by BeerTooth »

Halicar wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 12:21 pm
Jack FFR1846 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 7:27 pm Paper route
If this is a serious suggestion it is several decades out-of-date.
maybe the kid can apprentice for the local milkman
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

oldfatguy wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:44 am I find it interesting how many "lawn mowing" recommendations there are. I haven't seen a kid/teen mowing anyone's lawn (including their own) in decades.
Decades? Either hyperbole or you aren’t looking

Just a few years ago my neighbor’s teenage son mowed our yard
“Anyone may arrange his affairs so that his taxes shall be as low as possible; he is not bound to choose that pattern which best pays the treasury.” | ― Judge Learned Hand