Where are the best areas to stay in Phuket (location wise)?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
fortfun

Where are the best areas to stay in Phuket (location wise)?

Post by fortfun »

Just staying 5 days and then off to Japan. Would like to see the famous rock formations and visit some of the best beaches.
Thanks,
FortFun
d0gerz

Re: Where are the best areas to stay in Phuket (location wise)?

Post by d0gerz »

Patong Beach is a fun place to stay. Plenty to do, see, eat, shop, etc. We also took a day tour to the Phi Phi Islands on a really choppy speedboat, which was fun for me but not for the people that got seasick. Great time overall, one of my favorite vacations ever.
Cecelio

Post by Cecelio »

Patong is centrally located, has lots of hotels and resorts (so good price competition), local transport is always available, has lots of food choices, and day trip options are plentiful. But the beach walk and main strip can be intense and less family friendly. Lots of other beaches with less sales people, but also less of everything else. The southern tip seemed the most laid back, but also the farthest from the airport.

I stayed in a Novotel in Patong and thought it was a good value. On the north end of the bay, away from some noise (there are multiple Novotels, even in Patong). Amazing Indian/Thai breakfast buffet included. Think I paid $1000 for the week. They loved that I was American and gave me an upgraded room (big room, big balcony facing the ocean). I think they assume Americans will tip and others will not. Must have been an off season.

I rented a car. Traffic flows, but it can take lanes away without warning. I had a couple bumps because other traffic did not let me merge. It's a pretty big island. 5 days is a good amount to explore it. Not sure how easy it is to get around without a car, though.

Some people stay in phiphi overnight or the whole time. Very bohemian, but gorgeous. Plenty of places to stay and restaurants. Day tripping there is easy. Lots of options.
ocean

Post by ocean »

Totally agree...with patong. Been many times. The only suggestions is do NOT drive. Book your first night anywhere, then explore for a place to stay for the rest of the trip. EVERYTHING is negotiable. First time there i booked the full stay at what turned out to be a dump. Moved the second night and american express would not refund money as credit card issues are not the same in Thailand.
MH2

Post by MH2 »

fortfun wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:03 pm Just staying 5 days and then off to Japan. Would like to see the famous rock formations and visit some of the best beaches.
Thanks,
FortFun
Overpay for a room at one of the nicer hotels or resorts. Agoda, a Thai/European booking site, is a good source for reviews.

The worse a restaurant looks, the better the food will be (this only applies to Thai cuisine).

Consider going to Koh Samui or Koh Chang instead of Phuket.