Most efficient method to protect ground floor windows?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
CrisisAverted

Most efficient method to protect ground floor windows?

Post by CrisisAverted »

For those with single story homes with large windows in the front/back yards, how are all you protecting the windows?

I currently have single pane windows that (at some point in the near to distant, probably distant future) will get replaced with dual pane windows.

However, until that day, I would like to provide some protection for those windows and the home. As someone that's always lived on an upper level where the only realistic point of entry was the front door, I'm not sure how to handle a living room that is entirely accessible by smashing the front yard windows.

Without putting any "jail"-type bars on the windows, how do you harden those windows?

I am thinking some sort of shatter-resistant film or other material that you can adhere to the exterior of the windows. Something similar to what a convenience store might have installed so that it takes significantly more impact strikes before the glass breaks and someone can come inside. Essentially, something like a tempered glass screen protector that you might apply on a phone.

Alternatively, I was thinking of some sort decorative bars that doesn't look like I'm in jail: https://za.pinterest.com/pin/348958671105999791/. But this is still very obvious. This is one less obvious (https://za.pinterest.com/pin/182044009929968018/).

I am open to any other suggestions you may have. I think exterior shutters might be too expensive and may pose an issue if/when I replace my windows down the road. Therefore, I am skipping that option for now.

I assume that some sort of film-type protection would be the cheapest option? Especially because I'd want to re-add the same protection to the dual pane windows when I eventually get them some years from now. For example, I am looking at the 3M Safety & Security Window Film to add to the interior of the window.

I am a little concerned that any film I apply to the single pane windows not act as some sort of insulator/magnifying glass so that it cracks the underlying window. That would be a problem. I have read this can be an issue with very old windows if you apply window tint to it.
livesoft

Re: Most efficient method to protect ground floor windows?

Post by livesoft »

Protecting from what? Hurricanes?

If you are thinking burglary, then maybe you need to be in a better neighborhood where everyone has AR-15s and the perps know it.

But another suggestion: Leave your doors unlocked like we do. When someone can just open the door, they will leave the windows alone. We have no valuables in our home: No drugs, no jewelry, no guns, no expensive electronics, no cash. I don't even know what gets stolen and fenced anymore.
Last edited by livesoft on Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

You can buy stickers if the issue is marauding birds.

Post by 123 »

If you do something to protect the windows potential burglars will just break through the doors or the stucco/siding Many thieves are equipped with the same kind of entry tools used by fire departments.

Dogs indoors or outdoors are among the most respected of deterrents.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
runswithscissors

Post by runswithscissors »

If a burglar wants to get into your home they will. If the neighborhood is so bad you're considering bars on your windows I'd assume adding them will not materially affect anything. But even then they would just enter via another method (entry or other exterior door, sliding doors, etc). The best crime prevention is to live somewhere where being a victim is statistically low.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

runswithscissors wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:56 pm If a burglar wants to get into your home they will.
Absolutely true. If your neighborhood is sketch, best hope is that they go to your neighbors house.

These battery powered hand tools are amazing. It must be a thief’s dream come true. Anybody with a battery powered reciprocating saw could cut a new door in my house in minutes. Since I can’t stop them, I just don’t worry too much about it. Hope they go to my neighbors house….

If I was really worried, personally, I’d get a dog.

Also hope they break into my house while I’m not home….
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

I have four (I think--maybe 5) 3' X 6' windows with little or no treatments on the front of my house. I do have two little yip-yap dogs that will bark at any noise or anything they see that moves. That's it. I've been here for 35 years and not a single issue yet.

Good luck to me if a band of marauders attacks. I am woefully unprepared.

eta: My mother-in-law lives five miles from me. Some slick salesman sold her burglar bars 30 years ago. They worked fine, but she opened the door (that had burglar bars) to a smooth-talking stranger and was brutally assaulted.
Last edited by Doom&Gloom on Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Northern Flicker

Post by Northern Flicker »

There probably are half a dozen much easier ways to get into your house than smashing a picture window.
Topic Author
CrisisAverted

Post by CrisisAverted »

Lol, these replies!

The goal is to deter a break in (by a person).
Not interested in weapons and a dog will need to wait for a year or so until I'm settled in.

I'm on a visible part of the street so I want to make sure I have my piece of mind.
gnujoe2001

Post by gnujoe2001 »

Cheap options for hardened entry on windows is placing a wooden dowel in the track of a side sliding window, or thumb screw track lock for side or vertical sliding windows. There is the film option, but quite pricey.

The front door should still be higher priority for hardening. At minimum putting longer screws into the deadbolt strike plate, better if you want to install door jamb & hinge reinforcement kits. Kicking in the front door is more likely than prying a window open for entry, which is more likely than smashing a window for entry.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

In most neighborhoods (at least neighborhoods I am likely to buy in) burglaries and break-ins are rare. So my thought is to appear to be no more attractive as a target than my neighbors. Relative safety in numbers. And for sure, I lock the doors.

Not going to put bars on the windows, even though that would be highly effective. I suppose that might even send the message "here there be valuables."
random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 »

From what I've read, thieves much prefer to kick in the door. The sound of breaking glass is too distinctive, while a kicked door sounds much less alarming, and isn't as visually obvious after closing the door. So start by reinforcing your doorstrike with long screws.

The window films look attractive. From what I understand, they're applied on the inside, and then caulked into place around the edges. These videos are intriguing:

enthusiastic demo by salesperson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Maph1a2qFf4
unintentional demo by thieves: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXRmvtfK3-4
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

I know someone who fell hard against a window with film on it. The glass broke into big pieces instead of shattering into bits like a regular window would. This meant the person did not suffer any real injuries to speak of.

I imagine the break was quieter too, though I don't think that was uppermost in the person's mind. :D

I'm with the crowd of saying to live in a better neighborhood. Or, dress shabily and make yourself visible to any passerbys casing the joint and they'll think you are poor.
Callisto

Post by Callisto »

In many third world countries, wealthier homeowners will make the exteriors of their homes extremely well lit, with directional lights illuminating all approaches (lawns, driveways). Turns out that thieves don't want to be clearly seen.
JS-Elcano

Post by JS-Elcano »

CrisisAverted wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:14 pm Lol, these replies!

Not interested in weapons and a dog will need to wait for a year or so until I'm settled in.

I'm on a visible part of the street so I want to make sure I have my piece of mind.
If you think that going from single pane to double pane windows will protect your windows from being broken into by burglars you will need to think again. My parents' house was broken into through double pane windows with no problem at all.
Topic Author
CrisisAverted

Post by CrisisAverted »

JS-Elcano wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:26 pm
CrisisAverted wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:14 pm Lol, these replies!

If you think that going from single pane to double pane windows will protect your windows from being broken into by burglars you will need to think again. My parents' house was broken into through double pane windows with no problem at all.
I should clarify--I want dual pane windows for sound isolating properties and heat rejection NOT because I think it will be harder to smash through.

I just don't want to do something (like a fancy enclosure, shutters, etc) that may impact the installation of dual pane windows down the road. This is why I thought window film might be a better and cost-effective alternative.
Topic Author
CrisisAverted

Post by CrisisAverted »

Callisto wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:59 pm In many third world countries, wealthier homeowners will make the exteriors of their homes extremely well lit, with directional lights illuminating all approaches (lawns, driveways). Turns out that thieves don't want to be clearly seen.
I will definitely be adding extra illumination to the windows!
Topic Author
CrisisAverted

Post by CrisisAverted »

random_walker_77 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:24 pm From what I've read, thieves much prefer to kick in the door. The sound of breaking glass is too distinctive, while a kicked door sounds much less alarming, and isn't as visually obvious after closing the door. So start by reinforcing your doorstrike with long screws.

The window films look attractive. From what I understand, they're applied on the inside, and then caulked into place around the edges. These videos are intriguing:

enthusiastic demo by salesperson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Maph1a2qFf4
unintentional demo by thieves: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXRmvtfK3-4
Yes, the first video is basically what I am looking for (although that appears to be an internal and external film). I just want it to be slower for anyone to gain entry that they give up and leave!

Surprised to see that most people want to break into a door instead. I would've thought that'd be harder than a large window that gives access to the home.
FeralCat

Post by FeralCat »

If you're really concerned, why not just get a security alarm system? I have sensors on my windows that will cause the alarm to go off if the window glass is broken/shattered. The security alarm company will call the police if I don't answer the phone and say everything is okay. I've heard from others here with security alarm systems, that police response is quick if the alarm does go off.
Topic Author
CrisisAverted

Post by CrisisAverted »

FeralCat wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:04 pm If you're really concerned, why not just get a security alarm system? I have sensors on my windows that will cause the alarm to go off if the window glass is broken/shattered. The security alarm company will call the police if I don't answer the phone and say everything is okay. I've heard from others here with security alarm systems, that police response is quick if the alarm does go off.
I will definitely be getting an alarm system that does not require a landline. Maybe like simplisafe or something like that
FeralCat

Post by FeralCat »

Ask around for recommendations (maybe NextDoor?). My alarm system was installed by a local guy who is really good.
UM70

Post by UM70 »

I share your concern. Like you, my new place is the first time I'll be living on the ground floor in nearly 50 years.

I'm taking a "deter, detect and delay" approach.
  • Deter someone from even trying to get in with good outside lighting and window decals showing an alarm system is in place
  • Detect anyone actually trying to get in with appropriate placement of window, door and motion detector sensors; I use SimpliSafe and set the alarm delay to zero so it will go off the instant the sensor is activated
  • Delay any confrontation by having plans for a relatively secure place in my home where I can shelter and call the police for help
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

How many times per week is there a break-in on your street? Is it via window or door?
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
windaar

Post by windaar »

If I had these concerns I'd consider the following in order:
1. Move to somewhere where this is not likely
2. Monitored alarm system
3. Mossberg
BTW I'm pretty sure that most home invasions are through a compromised door, not shattering a big window and having to deal with the noise and possibly getting cut on the glass.
Good luck!
Nobody knows nothing.
leeks

Post by leeks »

If you put some kind of bars on any window, make sure they open from the inside with no key or tool or special knowledge needed. Think visiting child and sudden fire and make sure you do not impede fast exit.
wilked

Post by wilked »

You don't need to make your home hard to break into

You just need to make it riskier than your neighbors

Things to do instead of thinking about windows:
-Motion lights
-Add a 'Protected by XXXXX Security' sign to front lawn (you don't actually need a security system)

With those two things 99% of burglars move to a different house
Vinny_in_NJ

Post by Vinny_in_NJ »

The idea is to deter a person from breaking in. You don't need a dog, just the look of having a big dog. For security reasons, get cameras like a Ring or equivalent around your house. Bright lights for at night, cut bushes away from your windows. Even if you live in a "great" neighborhood break ins can and do happen.

About 8 years ago we had someone try and break in to our house. The person took a brick from my property, cut the bathroom window screen but for some reason stopped at that point. We have a dog, my son was home (but oblivious of what was going on) and we found the brick on our deck; what happened that that person stop. We live in a "good" neighborhood with a lot of local police officers who live in it. When we called the police, they told us someone down the street was broken into, couldn't tell you if they stopped at my house and went there or something else took place.

You can't protect everything, my front door has a big glass oval window, I have a big picture window on the front porch, sliders on my deck and 2 other bigish windows easily accessible on the deck. Garage doors can easily be broken into, I don't have a lock between my garage and my house interior, I have insurance, things can get replaced except human life.
Wanderingwheelz

Post by Wanderingwheelz »

CrisisAverted wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:48 pm
Callisto wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:59 pm In many third world countries, wealthier homeowners will make the exteriors of their homes extremely well lit, with directional lights illuminating all approaches (lawns, driveways). Turns out that thieves don't want to be clearly seen.
Jeep Wrangler owners have known something for decades, and that is if you don’t want your top slashed by a thief who wants to take an look around inside: don’t lock the doors. We don’t even keep the owners manual in ours.

The absolute best way to keep thieves from forcing their way into anything is to not use the locks. Simple and free.

Years ago I was friendly with a high end used car dealer and I always found it remarkable that he never locked any of them. His philosophy was the same- best to just let a thief get what he’s after rather than have him get what he’s after, but having first caused hundreds if not thousands of dollars in damage.

My ADT security system has a glass break sensor installed, for what that’s worth. Is it’s activated notification is sent out immediately. I live in very low crime area with hyper-aware retirees at every angle, but we have a very heavily used public rail trail that passes across the full length of the rear of our property, with an ungated stone staircase into the backyard. Thus the desire for a little extra security.
Last edited by Wanderingwheelz on Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Being wrong compounds forever.
Parkinglotracer

Post by Parkinglotracer »

My 2014 Sienna in my driveway encourages burglers to go to your house instead of mine.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

We installed security cameras around the perimeter of our house monitoring ways of ingress. They won’t stop anyone who physically wants in but makes a record of those who did to maybe put an end to their career of lawlessness. I think it also creates a psychological barrier as many thieves don’t want to be on camera and will probably move onto easier targets.
Golfer--

Post by Golfer-- »

We had a burgler break into our house. In 2 seconds the glass in the sliding glass door was shattered. Thankfully no one was home. We watched on our security camera and called the cops. They were not able to arrive on time to apprehend the intruders. This is a nice neighborhood by the way.

We had 3M window shield placed on all the windows and guardian security door placed on all the doors. This will protect us not just from the more common burglers but also from those hoping to do bodily harm.

While expensive it was worth it for piece of mind.
Golfer--

Post by Golfer-- »

We had a burgler break into our house. In 2 seconds the glass in the sliding glass door was shattered. Thankfully no one was home. We watched on our security camera and called the cops. They were not able to arrive on time to apprehend the intruders. This is a nice neighborhood by the way.

We had 3M window shield placed on all the windows and guardian security door placed on all the doors. This will protect us not just from the more common burglers but also from those hoping to do bodily harm.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Your best protection is a good insurance policy that will replace everything that was taken.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae »

If you live in a populated area (and your home isn't surrounded by unoccupied houses) the basic go to security measures might be enough - keep your shrubbery in front of the window from getting over grown. have an exterior light(s) (make them environmentally friendly please).

I live in the land of houses with big ground floor windows... and the biggest problem is for houses on busy streets where a car or other vehicle is likely to hit the house - sometimes it hits the window and actually gets into the house.

You can also install a "rolling shutter" on the outside of your house. It will be a box above the window and you can raise and lower the metal shutter from inside your house. There are a couple of houses with these on my block. I assume someone paranoid or with lots of good stuff to steal lives there. OK, one of the houses is on a corner lot with the house built close to the lot line so the possibility of a car or other vehicle crashing into it is pretty high. I suspect their metal shutters are to protect the bedrooms from disaster.
London

Post by London »

Wanderingwheelz wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:57 am
Jeep Wrangler owners have known something for decades, and that is if you don’t want your top slashed by a thief who wants to take an look around inside: don’t lock the doors. We don’t even keep the owners manual in ours.

The absolute best way to keep thieves from forcing their way into anything is to not use the locks. Simple and free.

Years ago I was friendly with a high end used car dealer and I always found it remarkable that he never locked any of them. His philosophy was the same- best to just let a thief get what he’s after rather than have him get what he’s after, but having first caused hundreds if not thousands of dollars in damage.

My ADT security system has a glass break sensor installed, for what that’s worth. Is it’s activated notification is sent out immediately. I live in very low crime area with hyper-aware retirees at every angle, but we have a very heavily used public rail trail that passes across the full length of the rear of our property, with an ungated stone staircase into the backyard. Thus the desire for a little extra security.
I don’t lock my jeep or my house! I’m insured and I’m not afraid of “bad guys”.
Topic Author
CrisisAverted

Post by CrisisAverted »

Golfer-- wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:45 am We had a burgler break into our house. In 2 seconds the glass in the sliding glass door was shattered. Thankfully no one was home. We watched on our security camera and called the cops. They were not able to arrive on time to apprehend the intruders. This is a nice neighborhood by the way.

Ouch, sorry to hear about your break in. I assume that you put on the 3m window shield AFTER the break in? How much did that run you, approximately?

I completely understand it about being peace of mind. Not to mention that any delay in getting in would be a good deterrent.
Topic Author
CrisisAverted

Post by CrisisAverted »

LittleMaggieMae wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:55 am If you live in a populated area (and your home isn't surrounded by unoccupied houses) the basic go to security measures might be enough - keep your shrubbery in front of the window from getting over grown. have an exterior light(s) (make them environmentally friendly please).

I live in the land of houses with big ground floor windows... and the biggest problem is for houses on busy streets where a car or other vehicle is likely to hit the house - sometimes it hits the window and actually gets into the house.

You can also install a "rolling shutter" on the outside of your house. It will be a box above the window and you can raise and lower the metal shutter from inside your house. There are a couple of houses with these on my block. I assume someone paranoid or with lots of good stuff to steal lives there. OK, one of the houses is on a corner lot with the house built close to the lot line so the possibility of a car or other vehicle crashing into it is pretty high. I suspect their metal shutters are to protect the bedrooms from disaster.
Interesting idea about the rolling exterior shutter. My property is also on a corner and that is a concern of mine too. I would think hopefully a precast fence might be beneficial to stop or at least significantly slow down a car before it makes impact with the house.
Topic Author
CrisisAverted

Post by CrisisAverted »

cheese_breath wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:48 am Your best protection is a good insurance policy that will replace everything that was taken.
This, yes, but I also don't want to physically be in a position where I'm in the house and someone tries to break in!
Paullmas

Post by Paullmas »

Wanderingwheelz wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:57 am

What happens if what they are after are you and your families lives and well-being? Locks are good. Guns are good. Alarms are good. Bars are good. They keep the monsters at bay. Better if they were no monsters, but that would be a fantasy.
Just say no to international.
dbr

Post by dbr »

All over the world isn't the standard thing you see just bars. Maybe shutters are common as well.

Some places the yard itself is walled and gated. Those are sometimes the same communities where people only leave the house under armed guard.

In the United States the question would be where are you living that it would even occur to you that you have a problem? Are there breakins in your neighborhood where people are entering by breaking or cutting window glass? Not living there would be a suggestion. It is true that reachable open windows with screens are a point of entry sometimes.
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

"All over the world isn't the standard thing you see just bars. "

And block walls with a fence along the top to hold the concertina wire.

There's a reason I stopped going to parts of Central America, etc. For instance, parts of downtown San Jose Costa Rica looked like a war zone. Nice people, but many of the homes were bunkers. We used to gather there before taking a charter flight to Quepos to fish.

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

They do make security glass for this purpose which is typically used in commercial applications. If you google the costs, you'll probably want to be sitting down.

There is likely lower hanging fruit to secure your house. High security deadbolts (from a locksmith), cameras, fence, dog, etc. If a sophisticated intruder wants to break in, they'll find a way. Someone with construction skills could cut a door or window from its frame in a few minutes. Most bad guys aren't that hard working or smart.
Golfer--

Post by Golfer-- »

Yes, 3M installed after the break in. This will just slow down the entry. The glass stays intact and does not shatter. Takes a bit to work thru all that and enter the home. But if a person is home they have time for a 911 call. Cost is based on window size. Maybe 500.00 for an average window. The Security Screens I had installed are very hard to get thru. I would not suggest 3M for a sliding glass door necessarily as I believe there are other ways to enter thru that type of door. There are many types of Security Doors, I just happened to connect with a company who installs a top notch Security Door.
Tib

Post by Tib »

My neighborhood is considered one of the safest in the city, but we still experience burglaries. (Even Mayberry had a sheriff.) Breaking through the front door is the most common method. (And a security screen door doesn't seem to add much protection.) I installed security film anyway. Also have a monitored alarm system, but (because of the frequency of false alarms) police here won't respond unless there's an actual sighting of an intruder. On the one occasion when there was an alarm while I was away and couldn't confirm that the alarm was false, the monitoring service took about 45' to get to the house. If there had been signs of a break-in, the police would then have been called. Burglars here are presumed to know that quick response by police to a burglar alarm is unlikely. My solution has been to add internal cameras and a sign noting that I have them. Prospective burglars would know that I'm likely to learn immediately if they break in, and that I'll be able to call 911 immediately to report an actual sighting. For that reason, I think burglars are likely to skip my house.
Golfer--

Post by Golfer-- »

Google - Crimesafe - see if any companies in your area use this product for security
Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel »

Protecting from what? The sun? Get a dog and turn the exterior lights on at night and you'll be fine.

If someone really wants to get in YOUR home, they will.
fizxman

Post by fizxman »

Plant rose bushes or other shrubs in front or put something else that will make it difficult to get to the windows in the first place.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

CrisisAverted wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:14 pm I'm on a visible part of the street so I want to make sure I have my piece of mind.
The fact that you are on a visible part of the street should give you piece of mind. Drive down the street and count how many other houses you could smash a window or kick in a door without being easily seen.

Its even less likely that thieves break in while you are home. First, its a more serious charge but more importantly, they dont want to get into a conflict. The goal of the vast majority of intruders is to quickly steal a few small valuables that they can take to the pawn shop and get their next unit of drugs.
Last edited by barnaclebob on Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
bradinsky

Post by bradinsky »

If you’re that paranoid, please get a good monitored security system with glass break sensors for the larger downstairs windows.
For us, what we have done is buy a nice smaller home in a neighborhood full of big fancy homes. If I’m a burglar I’ll choose the 8500 sq. ft. house 2 doors down. We also have 2 165# puppies that seem to act as a deterrent.