Relocate from MA to Irving TX after retirement

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
goru1

Relocate from MA to Irving TX after retirement

Post by goru1 »

Does it make sense to relocate from MA to Irving TX after retirement? Some factors are cost of living index, no snow, etc.

Edit:
Thanks for all the feedback. Irving TX is not for me after retirement. I have many years before retirement. I have just started thinking about this topic. I have not done any detailed planning. A long time ago I knew 1 person there, so I started from there. I got some basic information from city-data.com. I have never been there. Some very initial factors were cost of living index, no snow, diversity etc. I have not looked at any other place yet.
Last edited by goru1 on Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
prd1982

Re: Relocate from MA to Irving TX after retirement

Post by prd1982 »

I’d prefer the snow in MA to the ice in Irving.
mrmass

Post by mrmass »

goru1 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:28 am Does it make sense to relocate from MA to Irving TX after retirement? Some factors are cost of living index and no snow.
Not much to go on. What part of MA? Cost of living index makes a difference. Are you talking Boston, or Holyoke?
billfromct

Post by billfromct »

And no state income tax (Mass income tax is 5%) and no state estate tax (Mass estate tax if assets are over $2M, recently raised from $1M).

Of course there is no Mass state estate tax if assets are left to your spouse.

bill
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

goru1 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:28 am Does it make sense to relocate from MA to Irving TX after retirement? Some factors are cost of living index and no snow.
Well, we didn’t get much snow this year in MA either. I personally wouldn’t move from MA, but that’s what makes horse races.

Fwiw, we pay a lot to live here and our heirs will also, but money isn’t everything.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
marielake

Post by marielake »

Interesting article from NBC today. Two states with greatest influx of people are Florida and Texas. While the article focused on FLA, TX may have similar issues. Recent transplants to Florida, left the State because of threats of hurricanes, high cost of living, insurance rates, politics, traffic. Those seeking a no tax state found service lacking.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/econom ... rcna142316

I'd also add, I moved from Boston area to NC to escape the snow. Once I moved here, found it to be too hot. I actually miss the snow.
wellboy99

Post by wellboy99 »

TX levies high property tax. No income tax in TX, but after retirement, your income will be lower. May not be worth it. Have to do the math.

No snow all right. >100 summer days are no fun either.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Have you spent time in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area to any extent? I've spent weeks at a time when working for that company east of the high 5 and every time I've been there, I've asked myself why anyone would ever want to live there. Sales tax is sorta the same at 6.25% just like in MA but in MA, towns can only add 0.75% to round up to 7% where Texas can add 2%, rounding up to 8.25%.

The area has REAL thunder storms. I've seen them when down there and have never seen anything even close in Mass including the several hurricanes I've been in. And you MUST have a garage because the hail they get down there will turn your car into a golf ball dimpled thing.

The DFW area had 55 days over 100 degrees and this is not Phoenix type (it's a dry heat) kinda thing. It's a humid, stay inside thing.

I don't know for sure if this is always the case but from co-workers houses I went to, basements are unknown. There's something about the soil and home building that you have to water the foundation or something bad happens. Not sure the details.

Property tax in my Mass town is $14.61 and of course we have prop 2 1/2 so it can't go way up without a town vote on a specific thing. Irving is $24.2 per thousand. I do expect that home prices are cheaper in Texas, but don't know.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
mhc

Post by mhc »

DFW will be very different.

Will you enjoy living there?

How much time have you spent there?

I would not worry about the ice since you will be retired. You can just stay home. It happens so infrequently I wouldn't even consider it.

If you prefer living in Irving, then do it.
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
Topic Author
goru1

Post by goru1 »

None
david99

Post by david99 »

You should spend some time there during the summer and see how you like it.
Topic Author
goru1

Post by goru1 »

The cost-of-living index is 40% less than the current city.
MidwestSoutheast

Post by MidwestSoutheast »

The COL in the DFW area has gone up dramatically over the last few years. I’ve lived in both MA and TX (DFW specifically) and it has become extremely crowded, traffic, heavy residential development. All the comments about heat and PPT area also on the mark. I would actually prefer to not live in either MA or TX but if you’re feeling like TX is right for you, I would strongly encourage a city other than Irving and to rent for a year before buying a house.
j.click

Post by j.click »

My mother lived in the D-FW metroplex until her death. My takes: traffic, traffic, traffic. Run the AC from April to October. Little natural beauty. Endless urban sprawl. However, I found Denton to be a lovely town/city and personally would center my search there.
coretiree

Post by coretiree »

Lived in the DFW metro area for better part of 30 yrs. Moved about 6 years ago. As with many states, politics there are somewhat polarizing and insurance rates have been creeping up significantly. The heat in Texas, in general, is simply overbearing. It's one thing to have high temps during the day and another to have the same temps at 10 PM. We enjoy visiting from time to time but don't regret moving away.
Badinvestor

Post by Badinvestor »

I have considered a similar move. What deters me is the heat in summer and the practical difficulty of living once I can no longer drive (a feature also of Massachusetts outside the 128 belt). Definitely, however, the cost of housing will be less. If your SS, any pensions, and financial asset savings leave you feeling house-poor in Massachusetts, then it might make sense to move. Note that that is a change in asset allocation towards financial assets at a time when US financial assets are crazy overvalued.

A further possible consideration: electricity will become scarce and probably rationed if governments in the US continue with their plans to force shutdown of fossil fuel plants. Texas has wind energy, Massachusetts imports a ton of Canadian hydro, but nonetheless frequent blackouts can be expected, again supposing that the governments' bark is followed by bite. A blackout in a Texas summer will be hellish. You may be able to mitigate this with solar panels and a battery, though (and a gasoline generator if allowed).
mhc

Post by mhc »

goru1 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:19 pm
None
I grew up there and go back a few times a year to visit my family. I'll be there next week for the eclipse.

I like the weather there. I like all the activities that are available there. I prefer the culture there. I would gladly live there again. The traffic is not that bad where and when I drive around DFW.

There is not really much for nature in that part of Texas. There are lakes and some natural areas, but it is pretty urban.

I would recommend spending a couple of weeks mid-summer there and see what you think.

Irving is centrally located, so you could hit all the major things to do pretty easily.
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
anagram

Post by anagram »

marielake wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:45 am Interesting article from NBC today. Two states with greatest influx of people are Florida and Texas. While the article focused on FLA, TX may have similar issues. Recent transplants to Florida, left the State because of threats of hurricanes, high cost of living, insurance rates, politics, traffic. Those seeking a no tax state found service lacking.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/econom ... rcna142316

I'd also add, I moved from Boston area to NC to escape the snow. Once I moved here, found it to be too hot. I actually miss the snow.
I don't want to say something that is against the forum rules but this is a very slanted article. You could write the same article about CA, for example, and just "invert" the various negative aspect.

Living in any state has its pro and cons and it is all about what you make of it yourself.
srouen

Post by srouen »

I grew up in the DFW metroplex. I wouldn't move back, primarily because of the heat. It is oppressive and unrelenting. But North Texas has its pluses. It's a huge urban area, albeit sprawling, so you have access to every amenity, food of all kinds, arts and culture, sporting events, etc. You just have to drive a lot. Everything is there, just all spread out.

Folks have mentioned that there's no "natural beauty," and it's definitely not a lush green hiker's paradise, but it's good if you enjoy spending time on lakes and there are quite a few nice parks.

That said, Irving itself is pretty charmless. You might want to check out downtown Fort Worth, which has a number of museums, concert halls, walkable areas with good restaurants and cute little homes, or Denton, which is a college town.
AZAttorney11

Post by AZAttorney11 »

There are a few reasons I wouldn't move to DFW - the summer heat and humidity are no joke. Phoenix summers are awful, but they are worse in DFW given the oppressive humidity. Traffic in DFW is terrible (I hope you like toll roads) and much of Texas is ugly. That said, the people are friendly, the beer is cold, and the BBQ is good.

Irving is wholly unremarkable (whoever said it is soulless above nailed it) and I can't fathom why it would be a retirement destination for anyone. Don't underestimate DFW winters, either. It gets downright cold, well below freezing, and ice on the highways and roads is a very real thing, but you rarely get enough snow to make things "pretty." It's the cold and wet winter without the skiing or mountains to enjoy.

That said, I'd take DFW over any part of MA. This is such a personal choice that I'm not sure feedback from strangers is going to be helpful. Some people love Texas, some people think it's hell. I'm sure others say the same thing about Phoenix. Different strokes for different folks and all of that.
hmw

Post by hmw »

I moved from MA to TX for work.

If you are retired, presumably you will have a lot of free time during the day. It is very hard to be outside in the summer in DFW due to the heat. I think DFW is pretty humid. Not as humid as Houston but it's pretty bad.
kramer

Post by kramer »

I think you need to be much more specific about what you are looking for in a retirement location and maybe ask specific questions that emerge out of your research that are not easily answered with Google searches.

I personally would not consider either of these places suitable for my retirement, but everyone has their own criteria.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I'm curious what part of Massachusetts the OP is in. Although a small state (certainly compared with Texas), there are vast differences in cost, culture, nature, and pace. If you're within 128, things are pretty packed with very high housing costs. The pace is typically fast. There certainly is green but you're not going to taking an hour walk in the woods without seeing any houses or roads (what I consider getting into nature). Of course the museums, sports and entertainment is very close and the T can get you there. Lower cost, slower pace, much more nature is pretty easy, staying in New England. The Berkshires are far less expensive. You're close enough to Tanglewood if you're into that and just over the Connecticut border is Lime Rock if you're into car racing and of course places like Stockbridge and heading into Connecticut have lots of tourist geared stuff and restaurants. Snowmobiling and skiing in the winter. Similar in New Hampshire with different entertainment but even getting between Nashua and Manchester, you can drive down or take a bus into Boston for that stuff. If the winter is a real problem, then I got nothing here for you.

But you really need at least a week to start down in DFW and I'd plan for August. When in for training one August on one of my first trips, I took a walk at lunchtime around the Forest Lane facility. Half way around, I was making sure I could still dial 911 as I didn't know if I'd actually make it back to a door I could get in.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Topic Author
goru1

Post by goru1 »

what you are looking for in a retirement location
I still have many years before retirement. Some factors are cost of living index, no snow, etc.
marielake

Post by marielake »

What other criteria have you considering besides no snow and COL--medical care, public transportation, overall-all weather, airport access, schools, recreation, cultural and job opportunities, traffic.....?

What other areas have you researched?
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

goru1 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:28 am Does it make sense to relocate from MA to Irving TX after retirement? Some factors are cost of living index, no snow, etc.
It may not.

- North TX had 55 straight over 100-degree days with no rain last year and it seems to get hotter year after years.

- TX has no income tax so people pay more in property and sales taxes. This is generally not good for retirees who can't really take advantage of the no-income taxes.

- North TX is flat and is 6 hours away from the coast and, twelve hours from a mountain on which one can ski.

- The Dallas Cowboys just suck.

- But there are also pros.

TravelforFun
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Of all the possible places to live in Texas, why Irving?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
AlaskaTeach

Post by AlaskaTeach »

I moved from the DFW area in 2018 to Alaska, and both states have weather issues, no doubt. Right now it is -2 degrees, in April! So I stay inside, very similar to living in north Texas in the summer, I would stay inside during the summer.

The best summer ever was the summer of 2019, was in southwest Alaska, in a small village, and the high temp every day was 65!

If you can deal with the oppressive heat from May through the end of September and possibly some during October, you will be fine. November through end of April is very nice.

I definitely do not recommend buying a house in Texas unless you do incredible amounts of research to discover the cost of a new roof, which will happen once about every 7-9 years, and the cost of homeowner's insurance, as well as property taxes.
JohnSlackIV

Post by JohnSlackIV »

goru1 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:28 am Does it make sense to relocate from MA to Irving TX after retirement? Some factors are cost of living index, no snow, etc.
Relocating is a means of achieving a goal, not a goal itself.

So what is your goal? What are you trying to accomplish?

You mentioned cost of living and no snow. So you want to live somewhere that's cheaper than MA and has better weather. Is there anything else you are trying to accomplish?

Also, why Irving Texas? There are many places cheaper than MA and don't have snow that aren't Irving. Are you open to other places?

You haven't given us a lot to go on....
furiouschads

Post by furiouschads »

I grew up in Austin. I would not recommend moving to Dallas to anyone.

Alpine or Wimberly might be nice. Maybe not if you want to be close to top notch health services.

I've been inside the DC beltway for 30+ years. When I go back to Austin to visit family, after about a week I realize that i am doing a lot of driving. If mass transit has been part of your life in Mass, you might not like being in the car for every last little thing. What happens when you have to give up your license?

Regarding taxes: wherever we are, somehow we have to pay about the same for police, fire, schools, and roads. I've come to see "no income tax" as a gimmick. Quality of life and of services is important enough to me to pay a little more in taxes. If it is more, all taxes considered. Probably not much more.
Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly. --Charles Addams. #613 in 2022 BH prediction contest. #42 in 2023. Not that I am keeping track.
Topic Author
goru1

Post by goru1 »

What are you trying to accomplish?
I have many years before retirement. I have just started thinking about this topic. I have not done any detailed planning. Some initial factors are cost of living index, no snow, etc.
Topic Author
goru1

Post by goru1 »

why Irving?
Diversity
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

goru1 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:24 pm
why Irving?
Diversity
I have not lived in Irving but worked there frequently over the course of many years. How did you select Irving from among all the possible places you could relocate to? How did you determine the "diversity" of Irving vs. ... everywhere else (and not just in TX)? You're single and have no family anywhere, so that's not a factor?
truenorth418

Post by truenorth418 »

TravelforFun wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:23 pm
It may not.

- North TX had 55 straight over 100-degree days with no rain last year and it seems to get hotter year after years.

- TX has no income tax so people pay more in property and sales taxes. This is generally not good for retirees who can't really take advantage of the no-income taxes.

- North TX is flat and is 6 hours away from the coast and, twelve hours from a mountain on which one can ski.

- The Dallas Cowboys just suck.

- But there are also pros.

TravelforFun
For a frequent traveler, Irving is a superb choice. DfW centrally located with more direct flights than most any other. And there’s also Love Field nearby.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

Badinvestor wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:19 pm I have considered a similar move. What deters me is the heat in summer and the practical difficulty of living once I can no longer drive (a feature also of Massachusetts outside the 128 belt). Definitely, however, the cost of housing will be less. If your SS, any pensions, and financial asset savings leave you feeling house-poor in Massachusetts, then it might make sense to move. Note that that is a change in asset allocation towards financial assets at a time when US financial assets are crazy overvalued.

A further possible consideration: electricity will become scarce and probably rationed if governments in the US continue with their plans to force shutdown of fossil fuel plants. Texas has wind energy, Massachusetts imports a ton of Canadian hydro, but nonetheless frequent blackouts can be expected, again supposing that the governments' bark is followed by bite. A blackout in a Texas summer will be hellish. You may be able to mitigate this with solar panels and a battery, though (and a gasoline generator if allowed).
You are really reaching there. There's no evidence for what you suggest.

Texas (ERCOT) has the problem of limited interconnections (parts of Texas are actually on SW power pool and one other?). So that reduces system robustness. Texas problems with power interruption have not been about too many renewables but rather about failures in gas-fired power stations. Because Texas does not have a Capacity Market, however, one where suppliers "bid in" to provide generation margin (basically generation sitting idle except when in a certain number of hours a year when demand is high and other sources of supply are low), there is a greater possibility of blackouts. Most other US ISOs have a Capacity Market.

The good news is Texas has relatively high power costs, and that has attracted a lot of investment - in renewables, clearly.
Texas is also installing grid batteries and solar PV at blinding rates of deployment. This will provide protection for intra-day power deficiencies. Inter-day is of course more difficult - one reason you want to have lots of High Voltage Transmission interconnection.

Massachusetts. Well there are issues with Natural Gas supply. And with opposition in Vermont to new High Voltage lines from Hydro Quebec. Blackouts due to supply shortages? It seems a long way from that.

The rising level of renewables needs to be managed. The fragmented nature of the US electricity system (in parts) and the slowness to build High Voltage transmission lines (a combination of NIMBY and skilful political opposition by incumbent utilities) are real issues.

But that's a long way from being conclusive evidence that major US states are facing blackouts due to electricity shortages.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

goru1 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:34 pm The cost-of-living index is 40% less than the current city.
That might, or might not, mean your cost of living is similarly lowered.

Much of COL is housing, and if you already own your property, then the variable element is relatively small - property taxes, insurance + utilities.

Property taxes are high in Texas. Everyone says that.

Utilities you will spend less on heating, but far far more on cooling. It may net out to 0.

The weather in Texas would destroy me. That and the driving everywhere. It's a "spatially expansive" society. People drive (by caricature) a lot of very big pickup trucks. Sort of King of the Hill stereotypes (I found that to be a slightly loving satire of Texas). OTOH people in New England are less "warm and friendly" -- again, trading wildly in stereotypes. Houston and DFW do have some first-rate culture (music, art).

North Carolina or southern Virginia would seem to me to be compromise states. Others here have suggested Tennessee and made some good arguments as to why that is better. Basically a milder winter. Tough summer. But not as tough as Texas or further south. Hurricanes, but not usually too bad ones (if you don't live right on the coast).
wellboy99

Post by wellboy99 »

Lived in both. I'd say global warming has definitely alleviated the winter pain in MA, but exacerbated the summer pain in TX.
friar1610

Post by friar1610 »

My Navy career gave me the chance to experience a lot of the country. Never lived in Texas but had a couple of jobs that had me visiting West Texas a fair amount. Also lived for a few years each in Tidewater, VA and the Florida Panhandle and multiple times in the DC area. Learned from those tours that I didn’t want to settle down in a climate that is overly hot and humid in the summer. (I loved the summers during my tour in Maine!) So we opted, first, for Vermont (8 years) and now have been in MA for 11. Winters can be a bit long and COL is a bit high, but IMO you get what you pay for. Realize YMMMV.
Friar1610 | 50-ish/50-ish - a satisficer, not a maximizer
invest4

Post by invest4 »

OP gets some good feedback from those who are living in TX. Of course, as OP has now shared that there are still many years ahead before such a move would be made, some of the information will have a limited shelf-life.

In particular, and as some have noted is how Texas will continue change with particular attention to:

* Cost of living - yes, no income tax is a great headline, but not surprising that revenue is generated elsewhere in the form of property taxes, etc. as highlighted by others who are living it.

* Climate change - extreme heat, floods, etc. and how that continues to unfold and its impact on where you would like to live…whether Texas or elsewhere.

More generally, I would also encourage OP to not only look at those areas which have already been discovered and are in demand with the rising costs that come with it, but also consider those potential areas which may be the next one.

Best wishes.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:04 pm Have you spent time in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area to any extent? I've spent weeks at a time when working for that company east of the high 5 and every time I've been there, I've asked myself why anyone would ever want to live there. Sales tax is sorta the same at 6.25% just like in MA but in MA, towns can only add 0.75% to round up to 7% where Texas can add 2%, rounding up to 8.25%.

The area has REAL thunder storms. I've seen them when down there and have never seen anything even close in Mass including the several hurricanes I've been in. And you MUST have a garage because the hail they get down there will turn your car into a golf ball dimpled thing.

The DFW area had 55 days over 100 degrees and this is not Phoenix type (it's a dry heat) kinda thing. It's a humid, stay inside thing.

I don't know for sure if this is always the case but from co-workers houses I went to, basements are unknown. There's something about the soil and home building that you have to water the foundation or something bad happens. Not sure the details.

Property tax in my Mass town is $14.61 and of course we have prop 2 1/2 so it can't go way up without a town vote on a specific thing. Irving is $24.2 per thousand. I do expect that home prices are cheaper in Texas, but don't know.
This. I can’t imagine moving from MA to TX.
Last edited by Dottie57 on Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bobby206

Post by Bobby206 »

You had me at no snow! :)

I have a good friend that lives in the Houston suburbs - The Woodlands. It's awesome out there... and yes, I have been there in the summer. It's hot and humid...but if you are retired you aren't wearing a suit and tie so big deal. You can deal with it. Obviously Austin and the Hill Country is super popular as well. Another old friend lives in New Braunfels and absolutely loves it there. Both my Texas friends have been there 10+ years and both love it, fwiw.
sc9182

Post by sc9182 »

While working go to place where your career thrives the best, along with decent settings for family (entertainment, schools, and such) also to thrive (ie., not-suffer) -- and possibly can achieve good savings rate.

Upon retirement: world is your oyster. You decide where you would love to be (and/or close with your family/extended-family)

Specifically about Irving/DFW area Vs. MA -- to add to what others have already mentioned above:
Besides, electricity/power, and politics -- do consider personal-choices: excessive amendment rights, women's/family's rights (or the lack of) and such
Post retirement, however: very-high property-taxes, high sales-taxes, and (lack of) ACA-participation -- if early-retirement a consideration., lack of social safety-net/services offered may also come into play.
Longer golf season possible (not necessarily longer hours each day; In summer, playing beyond 11 AM becomes tough!!)
funxional

Post by funxional »

You said that you just started thinking about it. Put a list together of things that you like and dislike about your current location.

Put together a list of places that have similar pros and cons that you might be able to live with.

Find a way to take a couple weeks vacation to each, ideally in the worst time. Don't go to Dallas in April, go there in August, for example. Figure out what places you do and do not like.

Keep in mind how important community and family is as we age. How will you adapt moving to a new location where you don't know anyone?

If you do know people there all the more reason to visit and get the pro/con list directly from them.
sasquatch12

Post by sasquatch12 »

Yes property taxes here in Texas are very high. In Houston I have a friend that has a valuation of $600,000 for her house and she pays nearly $20,000 a year in property taxes. This is in a new development which always have higher taxes but still very high. My Dad's house in Arizona was valued at almost $1,000,000 and he paid around $3,000 for his property taxes.

Looking at Irving the property tax rate is $2.4183 per $100 dollars of value, so the same $600,000 house would be nearly $15,000 a year in property taxes before any exemptions.

Also like everyone says the heat in the summer basically from late April and sometimes into October is very hard to deal with. The humidity makes it suffocating to even be outside high 90's to 100's during the day and still in the mid 80's or higher at night so there is no relief for those 7 months. November to early April is not too bad, it can get cold but usually it stays in the 40 's to 50's most of the cold days with some below freezing, but not very many usually. We have had winters where it stayed in the 70's at least but was still very humid so it felt even hotter but nothing like summers.

The DFW area does get Ice storms in the winter and some power lines can go down and you could be without power for a few days at a time so some kind of backup power would be nice. As far as nature in Texas, overall it is not a pretty state. I know some people like the hill country but to me I don't find it very nice looking compared to many other states.

Also make sure to stay a week in August to see if you can stand the heat and humidity. I have been here over 20 years and still am not used to it.
thedaybeforetoday

Post by thedaybeforetoday »

goru1 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:24 pm
why Irving?
Diversity
Many places in the world that offer diversity and a lower cost of living than Mass.
Other criteria you may have?
"When I was a kid my parents moved a lot, but I always found them." R. Dangerfield
JohnSlackIV

Post by JohnSlackIV »

goru1 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:54 pm
What are you trying to accomplish?
I have many years before retirement. I have just started thinking about this topic. I have not done any detailed planning. Some initial factors are cost of living index, no snow, etc.
Summers are obscenely hot and last a third of the year. Do you like that?
Topic Author
goru1

Post by goru1 »

Thanks for all the feedback. For now, Irving TX is not for me after retirement.
FinancetoMD

Post by FinancetoMD »

prd1982 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:33 am I’d prefer the snow in MA to the ice in Irving.
Ice in Irving a couple of times a year is nothing. This year maybe 1 day. Winters in Texas are great. 7 years here in Texas, before that 8 years in midwest and 25 years in Utah. I’d go Las Colinas instead of Irving though. Right next door but a little nicer.
PeninsulaPerson

Post by PeninsulaPerson »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:42 am
Well, we didn’t get much snow this year in MA either. I personally wouldn’t move from MA, but that’s what makes horse races.

Fwiw, we pay a lot to live here and our heirs will also, but money isn’t everything.

Sometimes I wonder how Yogi Berra might describe MA in one of his Yogisms. Like everyone complains about it and it's so crowded.

People live in MA because it's worth it.

(It's funny when folks move away to "save on taxes" or because of the weather. Then they complain about the taxes or the weather in their new place!)

Not sure why snow in Metro Boston would bother the OP - it's not like this is Buffalo. Obviously if he's in there Berkshires, that's different. Sure, some days it snows. The snow gets cleaned up and life goes on. It's infinitely better than when I was a kid. People really don't go out in bad storms anymore - policies are much more sane. Schools are closed before there is even one little flake of snow. That seems extreme sometimes but I'm mostly glad for these new developments.

Everyplace has its pluses and its hassles. According to a recent WSJ story, living in a van is a hassle. Why is that a surprise anyway?
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

PeninsulaPerson wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:54 am People live in MA because it's worth it.

(It's funny when folks move away to "save on taxes" or because of the weather. Then they complain about the taxes or the weather in their new place!)
Recently, our NH-based estate attorney mentioned that our heirs would benefit considerably if we lived in NH. I mentioned this to our CPA, and he recounted the story of doing an analysis for another client a few years ago. It turned out that for that particular client, after the various zigs and zags, net net there wasn’t much difference in total tax cost, although the money was flowing out of different pockets.

In our case, our heirs paying 16% tax on whatever is left in our estates won’t be free, and I love them with all my heart, but they’re well taken care of and will be fine.

IF we found a perfect place in NH (a tall order, we are very comfortable where we are), we’d consider moving, but not for the cost of living, although perhaps for the cost of dying :D
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.