Do you use Stop & Shop (or your supermarket's) "digital coupons"?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
PeninsulaPerson

Do you use Stop & Shop (or your supermarket's) "digital coupons"?

Post by PeninsulaPerson »

Not wanting to hijack my own thread about DVD players so posting this here.

Yesterday, I could have saved a few bucks at Stop & Shop (metro Boston supermarket) if I signed up for their digital coupons.

I didn't do it because I didn't think it would save me that much over the course of a year -and- I am working hard to NOT sign up for online things that won't be actively used and managed.

But maybe I'm wrong about that?

Do you use your supermarket's digital coupons (especially Stop & Shop) and do you recommend it? Is it easy?

Thank you!
nicktenny

Re: Do you use Stop & Shop (or your supermarket's) "digital coupons"?

Post by nicktenny »

I regularly use digital coupons and buy what is on sale. I love it and probably save 25% on my groceries over the course of the year (including coupons and normal sales).
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

We regularly use Kroger digital coupons and the app for shopping. I can’t imagine shopping at Kroger without it - too expensive. My wife will clip coupons in advance and print out a list for shopping. Alternatively, if we see something on the shelf with a coupon that hasn’t been clipped, you can just scan the QR code on the shelf price tag and clip that way.

If you regularly use digital coupons, you may also receive “Just for You” types of offers, often something free like a gallon of milk or dozen eggs or $3 off $10 produce purchase, for example.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Good ol' Stop and Rob! I hate that grocery store.

We are signed up for the two grocery stores that we frequent. It does save money and doesn't lead to unwanted junk mail.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
jaqenhghar

Post by jaqenhghar »

Yes, we regularly use digital coupons. Both to get things that we typically use which are on sale and to try new things that we wouldn't buy without the coupon.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Unfortunately, yeah, the savings from downloading supermarket and drugstore apps and signing up for the program are just a wee bit too good to simply ignore.

But so, too, is the amount of attention and engagement you bring to it. My supermarket has a gas discount program, and I can use the points for either grocery discounts or gas, and I just routinely use gas. The supermarket's gas station is on a par with the cheapest gas station, and even though we don't use a lot of gas I still get a 10¢ or 20¢/gallon price reduction.

As for digital coupons, I just scroll down the screen checking off everything as fast as I can without wasting time thinking whether it's an item I'm going to buy. Check 'em all off. Then buy whatever I was going to buy. Then check out and let any discounts surprise me.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
alexbogle

Post by alexbogle »

I do but I just have a script to automatically "clip" them every morning for me. I look at them like once a month in case there is a particularly good deal but otherwise they are just a bonus discount on things I am buying anyway
"Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It’s cheaper!” -- Jack Bogle
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Hardly ever buy anything without a digital coupon at the grocery store.

Very simple.
tashnewbie

Post by tashnewbie »

Use them at Kroger. I feel like they're required to get a lot of things at what in the past would’ve been a sale price that didn’t require a store coupon.
gunny2

Post by gunny2 »

Absolutely; why someone wouldn't I can't imagine. It's easy to do. Why pay more? Also on my receipt there is information about how to go online and fill out a survey of your shopping experience that gets you points towards gas and it adds up. I routinely get 10-20 cents off per gallon and in a few cases got 40.
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

No, not worth my time or effort.
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

livesoft wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:45 pm Good ol' Stop and Rob! I hate that grocery store.

We are signed up for the two grocery stores that we frequent. It does save money and doesn't lead to unwanted junk mail.
I have always referred to them as Stop and Rip, as in rip off.
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

I do (and did before we moved out of the Midwest). Just throwing away money not to do so. I also check each quarter to see which, if any, of my credit cards offer a 5% bonus that period.
Doctor Rhythm

Post by Doctor Rhythm »

We use digital coupons almost every time we shop at our national chain supermarket (it’s the Safeway, Vons, Alberston, etc group). In fact, we will delay purchases if we anticipate that a coupon will be forthcoming based on their usual frequency. I think their algorithm knows what brand of ice cream I like and feeds us a coupon for it every 2-3 weeks.
Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 »

eddot98 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:46 pm
livesoft wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:45 pm Good ol' Stop and Rob! I hate that grocery store.

I have always referred to them as Stop and Rip, as in rip off.
Their prices are the same as ShopRite based on what I see.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I use Stop & Shop digital coupons and have the card for GO rewards. That card is linked with my Shell Rewards card so I get the gas points at Shell and it rounds it to another nickel a gallon off. The card can sometimes be used in the manufactured spending world when they have open gift cards at 5 times the points. I then buy Shell gift cards to get $1.50 off per gallon. I then put gas cans on my trailer hitch rack and make sure I get the max 20 gallons at a total of $1.55 off per gallon.

The Stop & Shop digital coupons are a pain in the butt. Can't activate from my computer. Have to do it on my phone using the app. I'll do it when in the store, usually only for Pepsi or waffles. When you see the "sale" signs on things like Pepsi, it says in 3 point font "digital coupon price". I've seen it rung up at the regular high price and go right to customer service and they give me a refund of the difference. I think they know that they don't make it easy to figure out.

If you don't want gas points, they have the choice of instead grocery points where you can get dollars off of your purchase. If you don't have a Stop & Shop card, the cashier will use the store one because the prices without the card are astronomically high.

If you want low prices where you don't need to jump through hoops, just go to Market Basket. Way cheaper and no hoops. It's where we do most of our grocery shopping especially now with stores all around us (literally) in Ashland, Bellingham, Shrewsbury and Hudson.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Badinvestor

Post by Badinvestor »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:47 pm If you want low prices where you don't need to jump through hoops, just go to Market Basket. Way cheaper and no hoops.
+1.
2behappytoday

Post by 2behappytoday »

Yes I do, at Stop and Shop. It's easy to add them in the app and it seems as though the ones for items I routinely purchase and are on sale often show up at or near the top of the list. I also get weekly offers by email for extra GO Rewards points on several items each week or by spending a certain amount in a single transaction, which stack with coupons.

I echo that knowing the routine for sales on items I want can lead to real savings. The Starbucks coffee we brew at home goes on sale monthly for $6.99 or $7.99 per package vs the regular $10.99 price, which is when I stock up.

I also purchase gift cards for stores/restaurants I would spend money at anyway when there is an offer to earn double, triple, quadruple or more rewards points. I almost always save the max $1.50 per gallon x 20 gallons per fill-up. It takes a bit of attention to be sure the points are used before they expire but to save $25-30 per fill-up is worth it to me. I enjoy the game, love a good deal and am resistant to buying something I wouldn't otherwise purchase just because it's a bargain (almost always :D).

Post by 3000 »

Yes. I like Sparkling Ice water and sometimes they're on sale for $0.99 per bottle and I get a personal coupon offer that lowers the price to $0.79 per bottle because it's something I buy. This is with the grocery store Vons.

Target Circle is another one. I have scanned items I buy when I am at Target with the Target app and had a coupon added or, and this annoys me to no end, I find the item cheaper by a few dollars on Target's website. Which means if I had ordered everything online and used in store pickup I would have gotten the cheaper price to begin with, when I get to the self checkout register I ask for a price match and they always do it. The Target I shop at is a small footprint store which isn't busy all the time so there isn't a long wait to get someone to the self-check to do the match.
LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae »

I do use "digital coupons" at the stores I shop often - especially when the coupons are for products I routinely purchase. This saves me quite a bit of money over the course of a year.

There are a couple of stores I shop once or twice a year - and I do the least amount of work to get a deal (maybe I will use a card with a 5% cash back category that goes with the store, I will try to use some deal/sale available to everyone not just frequent shoppers, I might use some promotion I got in an email or snail mail). I do not go through the full effort to "optimize" my savings. I'm only overpaying a couple of dollars a couple of times a year. I'm not sweating the small stuff.

I just bought a new monitor for my home "office" set up from a brick and mortar store. it was on sale. I did check around to various stores to see what the going price was. I didn't get the frequent shopper deal that would have taken off another $5 of the sale price. I didn't care. The last time I shopped at this store was 2 years ago. I didn't really care about the $5.00 extra I could have saved... I just wanted the monitor and then to get it home ASAP. I'll get lots of years of service out of the monitor. It's not disposable/used up quickly.

A side note: I've noticed the stores I routinely shop are using their "rewards program" OR "digital coupons" to really lower the price of products that skyrocketed due to inflation. Last week I paid $8.99 for 24 cans of a soda I drink all the time only "rewards members" got the $8.99 price with a digital coupon (could purchase up to 4 cases at that sale price in one purchase). The 24 pack cases are usually 19.99 when not on sale... and 17.99 when they are on sale. There were a bunch of other routine purchase items that had similar dramatic savings but ONLY with the digital coupon.

ADDED: The initial setting up an account wasn't hard but took some time. I stay logged in and review the weekly ads and "clip" the digital coupons. Most store rewards programs want the phone number I used when I signed up. Some want phone number and 4 digit pin. Other than the initial "set up an account" part - it's not time consuming to clip and use digital coupons (or other rewards). I see people use their phones (I haven't put the app on my phone) in the store to scan the QR codes which clips the coupon for them ( if they didn't clip the coupons before shopping)
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

Kenkat wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:43 pm We regularly use Kroger digital coupons and the app for shopping. I can’t imagine shopping at Kroger without it - too expensive. My wife will clip coupons in advance and print out a list for shopping. Alternatively, if we see something on the shelf with a coupon that hasn’t been clipped, you can just scan the QR code on the shelf price tag and clip that way.

If you regularly use digital coupons, you may also receive “Just for You” types of offers, often something free like a gallon of milk or dozen eggs or $3 off $10 produce purchase, for example.
It's pretty much the same for us. We also shop at Costco, WalMart and a couple of other specialty stores, but for Kroger we clip the coupons both online and in-store. We think it's worth the trouble but it doesn't change our shopping habits, just the receipt total.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
FactualFran

Post by FactualFran »

I have never used a supermarket digital coupon. I don't carry a required device.
gunny2

Post by gunny2 »

What supermarket requires a "device?" I don't even have the plastic cards anymore; I just punch in my phone #.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

gunny2 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:13 pm What supermarket requires a "device?" I don't even have the plastic cards anymore; I just punch in my phone #.
The device is your cell phone with an app. Yes, it a bit of a pain but like many pains you get used to it after awhile.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

No. I use to shop at Kroger but all the different discounts, digital and some with just a card are annoying. Then there is the problem of the signs not matching the programming and the cashiers are clueless as to what to do. I want to just see the price and hence now go to Walmart. Most of friends do the same, but we are old so perhaps it's a generational thing.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

I don't build my grocery list around digital coupons. But of course, if there's one for something I was going to buy anyway I'll use it.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
JD2775

Post by JD2775 »

Man....I never used coupons in the past but I moved in with my SO about 7 years ago and have been using them ever since.

Safeway app... weekly ads, digital coupons etc. It's actually really easy once you get the hang of it. I do kinda like seeing the amount due go way down at the end of the transaction. Leaves more money for beer!
gunny2

Post by gunny2 »

FrugalInvestor wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:15 pm
gunny2 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:13 pm What supermarket requires a "device?" I don't even have the plastic cards anymore; I just punch in my phone #.
The device is your cell phone with an app. Yes, it a bit of a pain but like many pains you get used to it after awhile.
Huh. I've never seen a grocery store that required your cell phone.
Colorado14

Post by Colorado14 »

Yes, I use Kroger digital coupons. The savings do add up, which is great because I get sticker shock frequently at the grocery store these days.

I think that using grocery coupons is one frugal habit that I will never be able to give up.
gunny2

Post by gunny2 »

Mr. Rumples wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:20 pm No. I use to shop at Kroger but all the different discounts, digital and some with just a card are annoying. Then there is the problem of the signs not matching the programming and the cashiers are clueless as to what to do. I want to just see the price and hence now go to Walmart. Most of friends do the same, but we are old so perhaps it's a generational thing.
I shop at Kroger sometimes; to each their own, but I don't get the annoying part. Again I just punch in my phone # when I check out and that's it. Don't need a card. Never had an issue with wrong prices and I almost always use self checkout because I'm way faster than the cashiers :) I don't use Walmart myself because half the clientele there are creepy/scary looking, but again to each their own.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

FactualFran wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:05 pm I have never used a supermarket digital coupon. I don't carry a required device.
For Kroger at least, you can clip the digital coupons on a PC or other device at home and then just either key in your phone number or scan your shopper’s card at the point of sale.
FactualFran

Post by FactualFran »

Kenkat wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:37 pm For Kroger at least, you can clip the digital coupons on a PC or other device at home and then just either key in your phone number or scan your shopper’s card at the point of sale.
My phone number would mean nothing to the supermarket. I don't have a shopper's card.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

I shop at Freddie's (aka Fred Meyers), which is now owned by Kroger. I think the app is specific to Freddie's. I try to remember to download the digital coupons from the website on my computer when I am home because the app ... sucks. I hate it with a burning passion. But the savings can be significant, so I use them.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Kenkat wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:37 pm For Kroger at least, you can clip the digital coupons on a PC or other device at home and then just either key in your phone number or scan your shopper’s card at the point of sale.
Thank you. I've been clipping my coupons on the iPhone. Never realized you could do it on the website. Website looks a lot easier.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
littlebird

Post by littlebird »

No. But then, I have multiple food intolerances and can only buy certain brands of certain products and the chance of them being on sale is slim. Plus I don’t buy all that much in the regular supermarket and, as an octogenarian, value my time and convenience highly.

But mostly, I’m still irritated at having succumbed to their plan for us all to carry around and insert their tell-tale cards with every purchase, lured by the promise that the cards will replace coupons and will have special offers tailored specifically to our buying habits. Not only have they not replaced coupons, but the coupons have proliferated and now have spawned digital coupons. And the tailored specials? I’ve been required to eat gluten free for 20 years, but every coupon they hand me as I’m checking out has been for a regular wheat cereal or bread.

The only advantage I’ve seen to the cards is that once or twice I’ve been notified that something I bought has been recalled. But I knew it already.
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

Yup. Sometimes there’s free giveaways.
gunny2

Post by gunny2 »

littlebird wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:00 pm But mostly, I’m still irritated at having succumbed to their plan for us all to carry around and insert their tell-tale cards with every purchase
Things must be different out West. No cards required in the East. And while yeah I'd just as soon they give us the best price without all this discount card crap, here at least it's easy to use.
thedaybeforetoday

Post by thedaybeforetoday »

No.
Our stop and shop is terrible. In fact, they seem to come up with fun and interesting ways to be terrible the few, unfortunate times per year I go to that store for a sale item.
Aldi is my preferred, followed by Walmart, but much prefer Aldi. In and out in 15 min for a week's worth of stuff and save a bundle.
"When I was a kid my parents moved a lot, but I always found them." R. Dangerfield
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

eddot98 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:44 pm No, not worth my time or effort.
Same. It seems what we want to eat is never on sale. Healthy food rarely have coupons. (How often do you see coupons on fresh fruit and veggies, or fish?).
Light weight baby!
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

gunny2 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:00 pm
Mr. Rumples wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:20 pm No. I use to shop at Kroger but all the different discounts, digital and some with just a card are annoying. Then there is the problem of the signs not matching the programming and the cashiers are clueless as to what to do. I want to just see the price and hence now go to Walmart. Most of friends do the same, but we are old so perhaps it's a generational thing.
I shop at Kroger sometimes; to each their own, but I don't get the annoying part. Again I just punch in my phone # when I check out and that's it. Don't need a card. Never had an issue with wrong prices and I almost always use self checkout because I'm way faster than the cashiers :) I don't use Walmart myself because half the clientele there are creepy/scary looking, but again to each their own.
Here some displays are very clear, some aren't*: some let you use a card or your alternate number, but many discounts are "digital" and the application is required. The prices are constantly wrong since they don't have the staff to keep up with the price changes. That wasn't a big deal when they would give the item for free if the price didn't match what scanned, but they stopped doing that. One manager flat out said he did not have the staff to keep up with the price changes.

At one point, they let "senior" citizens check out and then go to the customer service center to get the digital discount. I was told I looked old, LOL, seriously, I wasn't offended, I am old, but some folks might not like that. But when I looked at the long line at customer service, I just walked out. Making groceries shouldn't be an ordeal.

*The other thing with Kroger is that in spite of VA law where prices have to be clearly displayed, "card" and "digital" are not clear, they are often on items on the lowest shelf in tiny print that even the store clerks can't read on the lowest shelf without getting on their knees and using their reading glasses. If I got down on my knees to look, I'd need help getting up.

I don't have a lot of time left on this side of the earth, Kroger isn't worth the hassle of my time left.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

Yes, usually, at my local Hannaford, and at Safeway near my mom’s when visiting her. Often get random offers of $5 off or more frequently $1 off each of a bunch of items I was planning to buy anyway. Easy to to pull out my phone before I get out of my car and head into the store to buy.

Clearly quite a bit of price discrimination going on against those who don’t bother to clip, especially at Safeway.

Unconcerned about the privacy issues. Don’t care who knows I buy a lot of very healthy foods!
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

YeahBuddy wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:53 am
Same. It seems what we want to eat is never on sale. Healthy food rarely have coupons. (How often do you see coupons on fresh fruit and veggies, or fish?).
Hannaford often offers me coupons for “any produce item” and/or specific produce items that I buy, carrots, broccoli, avocadoes, etc. Also coupons for plain yogurt or kefir. Also frozen fruit and veggies (without sauces or added sugar or salt) and frozen wildcaught salmon or shellfish. Also natural peanut butter with no additives, canned beans including those without added salt.

Safeway also offers such coupons but less noticeably.

Hannaford really promotes healthful foods, with an in store nutritionist for consultations and cooking classes as well as a Guiding Star labeling system highlighting healthy foods.
FIRWYW

Post by FIRWYW »

Unfortunately, I occasionally do if I don’t have time to go to a different store. Not because I plan to use those coupons. If I go to the store and they have the (now common) ridiculous thing of 7.50 without the coupon or $3 (what basically is the real regular price) with I will clip it. However I have seen that about 50% of the time at Safeway it still does not work. I leave my basket of groceries at the self check out for them to clean up and drive the extra 2 miles to get stuff somewhere else. I feel it is an extremely dishonest way for them to price and charge people extra that don’t watch their prices at check out. Results in me spending hundreds elsewhere each month instead of there.
FIRWYW

Post by FIRWYW »

This is a large part of where I do see it. Real common at Safeway for apples, blueberries (example I gave above is usually blueberries $8 without $3 with), strawberries.
FIRWYW

Post by FIRWYW »

FIRWYW wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:09 am
This is a large part of where I do see it. Real common at Safeway for apples, blueberries (example I gave above is usually blueberries $8 without $3 with), strawberries, eggs
Topic Author
PeninsulaPerson

Post by PeninsulaPerson »

FactualFran wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:03 pm
My phone number would mean nothing to the supermarket. I don't have a shopper's card.

If you don't have a card, do you tell them you "forgot" your card so you get the sale price or do you pay full price?

Thanks to all for the feedback. We are blessed with a Trader Joe's near us so that's where we get most of our groceries. Only go to Stop & Shop for a few items we can't get at TJ's. So maybe the digital coupons won't be worth my time but I do plan to experiment with it. Thanks again!
SnoopisTDI

Post by SnoopisTDI »

I don't use them because I don't want the app. I do have an unregistered discount card, which gets me most sale prices and the gas discount- but no digital coupons.

ETA: If I forget the card, they have one at the register to scan. If it wasn't for the gas discount (it's pretty convenient to fill up there), I would just forego the whole thing and tell them "I forgot my card" every time.
catlady

Post by catlady »

We have 3 stores we frequent for groceries depending on best prices that week. Yesterday we saved $27 at Target on food we were already planning to buy by clicking a few buttons in the app. We regularly save between $5-35 a trip and it only takes a few seconds to clip the coupons. It easily saves us several hundred dollars a year for very little effort. We’ve lowered our monthly grocery spending by over 25% in the last few years by using the store apps for coupons and doing price comparisons between the different stores before getting groceries for the week.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Part of this is generational; for my friends, most forgo the digital things. It's difficult enough to remain independent doing the everyday things let alone adding technology to the mix. The jitterbug flip phone doesn't seem to allow downloading applications. It's as if they simply don't care or are unaware of an entire segment of the population.

In the end, except for rutabagas, I can get what I want at Walmart.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

FactualFran wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:03 pm
So the limiting factor is not, in fact, that you don't carry the "required device" as you originally claimed. It's that you don't have an account with which one might optionally be used.

Which is certainly a choice to be made. Not exactly a frugal one in most cases, but a choice nonetheless. Our last grocery trip would have cost 102% more than it did had I not clipped a few coupons and punched my phone number in at the register.