Did you experience this buggy battery behavior on Kindle?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
waskiri

Did you experience this buggy battery behavior on Kindle?

Post by waskiri »

Good morning everyone,

After reading this forum's recommendations of the advantages of e-ink devices I managed to get a used 2014 (7gen) Kindle.

By any chance, did you experience battery charge status jumps with no charger plugged in?. I searched the web and tried the usual Recalibrate/Re-start/FirmwareUpdate options with no luck.

I would appreciate any feedback. My last resort would be contacting the seller but I am afraid a refund or replacement is not an option for many reasons. Getting a new one in my country costs 2.5 times the US price.

Some more info:

After my first full charge I loaded some books and read for 30 minutes, battery charge went from 100% to 96% (all good until then). An hour later I checked it and battery charge went up to 97%¡?; 12 hours later it went up again to 100%¡?, this all with no charger/computer plugged in after the first charge. I think battery is calibrated as I fully charged it (it was dead on arrival), during 4,5 hours, the first time I got it.

Yesterday I tried restarting the device, when this did not work I Factory reset with no luck, battery charge reading increased again with no reason.

The device already has the last firmware update (5.12.2) but today I manually performed a "firmware update" using (5.12.2) again. I just tested and, when pressing the button battery charge changed before my eyes from 91% to 92%.

When restarting/"upgrading" firmware/ Resetting device's battery charge "updates" from the 100% to the apparently correct reading (92%,96%), just hours later it increases.

Similar behavior has been happening during two days. I am unable to say if this is a faulty battery issue as two days is a short period.

The device was charged as per instructions provided: 5V 0.5A during 5 hours. Log file shows full battery capacity is at present 640mAh, around 70% of a new device.

Thank you!.
tuningfork

Re: Did you experience this buggy battery behavior on Kindle?

Post by tuningfork »

I can't say I've ever noticed the battery charge indicator jumping around like that, but I also am not obsessed with looking at it. While I'm reading it's not visible, and I rarely pay attention to it unless I notice it's below 20%, or when the Kindle software alerts me that the battery is very low and I need to plug in.

I read 30 to 60 minutes every day and only have to plug it in to charge about once a month. Mine is about 6 or 7 years old and the battery is still holding its charge well. Are you able to read daily for weeks at a time before having to recharge? If so, I wouldn't worry about the charge indicator jumping around a bit, especially if it would be difficult or expensive to replace.
Topic Author
waskiri

Post by waskiri »

Thank you Tuningfork!,

I got the device two and a half days ago so I can not tell if the battery lasts for weeks. I fully recharged it on Wednesday, read for about 1 hour daily. I did not turn on wifi until today and just did it 2 hours ago to "consume" battery and see, as you mention, if the battery jumps around just a bit.

During this 2.5 days battery went from 100% to 92% (wifi turned on just for two hours). I did not plugged in the charger after the first full charge, just quick usb connections to perform the manual firmware update and other one, to sideload, around 20 books (10min).

I appreciate the feedback, I will be able to make an extrapolation with your data. I read for about 2 hours per day.
A quick one: Does your battery performance consider your Kindle's wifi is turned on?.
Last edited by waskiri on Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

I have similar experience as tf -- I keep wifi off unless downloading a book.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink »

I got tired of replacing Kindles and got a Kobo reader.

After my 4th Kindle failed (started by not holding a charge for as long, then died abruptly (14 months after purchase) on my flight to Antarctica - oops, too bad about the books you saved for the long flights - I decided that Amazon had lost a customer.

Good luck with yours.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

NotWhoYouThink wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:50 am I got tired of replacing Kindles and got a Kobo reader.

After my 4th Kindle failed (started by not holding a charge for as long, then died abruptly (14 months after purchase) on my flight to Antarctica - oops, too bad about the books you saved for the long flights - I decided that Amazon had lost a customer.

Good luck with yours.
Interesting. I have both an old Kindle KB that still works fine and a 2010-ish? paperwhite that is my regular model and they have run flawlessly. I felt bad relegating the KB to a drawer - I still top off the charge every few months to keep it useable. I have no idea how old the KB is since it was given to me by a sibling who upgraded to another model.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Topic Author
waskiri

Post by waskiri »

jebmke wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:47 am I have similar experience as tf -- I keep wifi off unless downloading a book.
Thank you jebmke.

I also keep wifi off, just turned it on today to check if battery consumption is normal.
Just now I woke up the device. Battery charge status showed 91% and just a few seconds later it changed to 92%.
I just hope it is not a major battery issue. I was really glad to get it, e-ink is really good.
Topic Author
waskiri

Post by waskiri »

jebmke wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:54 am
NotWhoYouThink wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:50 am I got tired of replacing Kindles and got a Kobo reader.

Good luck with yours.
Interesting. I have both an old Kindle KB that still works fine and a 2010-ish? paperwhite that is my regular model and they have run flawlessly. I felt bad relegating the KB to a drawer - I still top off the charge every few months to keep it useable. I have no idea how old the KB is since it was given to me by a sibling who upgraded to another model.
When looking for options I checked Kobo, but the ones available were more expensive than the equivalent ones in Kindle.

I have been unable to find anyone on the web who experienced this buggy behavior with the battery. As I found many people was really happy with their old Kindles I told myself: "Go fo it!, it is safe".

Murphy's Law.
BradleyB

Post by BradleyB »

I assume that the battery technology is similar to what is in a cell phone. A 10 year old, used cell phone will most likely not have a very good battery.

Use the opportunity to see if you like reading on a tablet. I love it, my wife hates it. Then either toss it or spend the $129 and buy a new one.
ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf »

On any flight, be sure to put the kindle into airplane mode. If you don't, the battery will drain quickly, probably within eight hours.
Topic Author
waskiri

Post by waskiri »

BradleyB wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:30 am I assume that the battery technology is similar to what is in a cell phone. A 10 year old, used cell phone will most likely not have a very good battery.

Use the opportunity to see if you like reading on a tablet. I love it, my wife hates it. Then either toss it or spend the $129 and buy a new one.
Yes, I would be lucky to get a very good battery after 10 years of use.

I have been reading on my tablet, but decided to try an e-ink device after reading recommendations here.

After just a few days I can say that I love to read on my just-bought old Kindle. I can not describe it in technical terms but, it just feels right. It is the same enjoyment I feel when reading a physical book.

After these few-days experience it seems that, when the time comes, I will manage to buy a new one. by now I will enjoy my new-old Kindle.
Last edited by waskiri on Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

waskiri wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:14 am
BradleyB wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:30 am I assume that the battery technology is similar to what is in a cell phone. A 10 year old, used cell phone will most likely not have a very good battery.

Yes, I would be lucky to get a very good battery after 10 years of use.

I have been reading on my tablet, but decided to try an e-ink device after reading recommendations here.

After just a few days I can say that I love to read on my just-bought old Kindle. I can not describe it in technical terms but, it just feels right. It is the same enjoyment I feel when reading a physical book.
my Kindle was bought in 2011 and still going strong.

I find my iPad too heavy most of the time although I do use it for some non-fiction where there are maps, photos etc that are easier to follow on the iPad screen.
Topic Author
waskiri

Post by waskiri »

ralph124cf wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:11 pm On any flight, be sure to put the kindle into airplane mode. If you don't, the battery will drain quickly, probably within eight hours.
Thank you. In my case, as the device did not receive an firmware upgrade since 2019, I prefer to turn off wifi.

After just 5 days it seems that my old Kindle battery decreases 10% daily (No wifi, 1 hour of reading). Well it is a 2014 Kindle, I wish it would last longer, but it is what it is.
Topic Author
waskiri

Post by waskiri »

jebmke wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:16 am my Kindle was bought in 2011 and still going strong.

I find my iPad too heavy most of the time although I do use it for some non-fiction where there are maps, photos etc that are easier to follow on the iPad screen.
Yes, Kindle is really light on the hands and I definitely concur, an Ipad is still necessary in some cases.
If possible, can you tell me how long your 2011 Kindle battery lasts by now?. Just to have a measure to compare the health of the 2014 kindle I got.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

waskiri wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:37 am Yes, Kindle is really light on the hands. I definitely concur, an Ipad is still necessary in some cases.
If possible, can you tell me how long your 2011 Kindle battery lasts by now?. Just to have a measure to compare the health of the 2014 kindle I got.
I really don't keep close track of it but if I use it every day for an hour or so, I'd say I need to top it up about twice a week. I often just plug it into a nearby cord in the morning and then when I go back in to make the bed, it is topped off. I keep WiFi off unless downloading.

If I notice that the batter percentage has dropped below 50% I normally plan to plug it back in as soon as I'm done using.
Topic Author
waskiri

Post by waskiri »

jebmke wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:46 am
waskiri wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:37 am Yes, Kindle is really light on the hands. I definitely concur, an Ipad is still necessary in some cases.
I really don't keep close track of it but if I use it every day for an hour or so, I'd say I need to top it up about twice a week. I often just plug it into a nearby cord in the morning and then when I go back in to make the bed, it is topped off. I keep WiFi off unless downloading.

If I notice that the batter percentage has dropped below 50% I normally plan to plug it back in as soon as I'm done using.
Thank you and happy reading!
bighatnohorse

Post by bighatnohorse »

You are worrying too much.
Most batteries will recover a bit of voltage after a short rest - no surprise there.
Plus, the Kindle's battery indicator probably is not a precision instrument - and a precision instrument is what you would need to obtain an exact
battery capacity measurement.
I consider the battery indicator a rough measurement.

My Kindle is at least ten years old - it was a gift. Over the years I have found that it will occasionally restart itself for no clear reason.
And I've noticed that after an auto restart the pages will turn more quickly.
Of course the wifi, if left ON, will draw more battery power. I leave the wifi off until I need a new book.

And I forgotten to recharge it to a point where it will not start.
Usually, the Kindle will provide a screen warning that the battery needs charging.
I suspect that you have a perfectly good Kindle. Just plug it in once a week, or more often if you read a lot.
And don't worry about it.
KarlJ

Post by KarlJ »

I have not experienced what the OP described, although a few months ago my 4-year-old Kindle PaperWhite went belly up. All indications point to a dead battery. A YouTube video on PaperWhite battery replacement had a nightmare scenario that shows prying off the glued screen with a special tool, unscrewing tiny screws, flipping the motherboard, removing the old battery, installing the new battery, then reversing all the steps including adding new glue. Clearly there is no guarantee that all these steps will result in a working PaperWhite.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

My Nov. 2019 Kindle Oasis seems OK.

I haven't noticed any "jumpy" behavior.

I am not exactly sure when it happened, but a couple of years ago I noticed that the charge light "never" goes out, and that when charged overnight the percentage of charge, which originally had been 100%, now stops at 98% or 97%. I believe battery life is shorter but I haven't tried to assess it. It is as if the battery indicator is now highly nonlinear, and down to 40% it is "normal," but at 40% there is actually much less than 40% and it drops precipitously down to the warning level.

I haven't fussed about it much because battery life currently is more than adequate, and because there's nothing much to do about it anyway.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Topic Author
waskiri

Post by waskiri »

bighatnohorse wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:46 am You are worrying too much.
Most batteries will recover a bit of voltage after a short rest - no surprise there.
Plus, the Kindle's battery indicator probably is not a precision instrument - and a precision instrument is what you would need to obtain an exact
battery capacity measurement.
I consider the battery indicator a rough measurement.

My Kindle is at least ten years old - it was a gift. Over the years I have found that it will occasionally restart itself for no clear reason.
And I've noticed that after an auto restart the pages will turn more quickly.
Of course the wifi, if left ON, will draw more battery power. I leave the wifi off until I need a new book.

And I forgotten to recharge it to a point where it will not start.
Usually, the Kindle will provide a screen warning that the battery needs charging.
I suspect that you have a perfectly good Kindle. Just plug it in once a week, or more often if you read a lot.
And don't worry about it.
After some more days checking, and your comments, I am reaching the same conclusion. :)
Thank you. I really appreciate everyone's feedback
Topic Author
waskiri

Post by waskiri »

nisiprius wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:18 pm My Nov. 2019 Kindle Oasis seems OK.

I haven't noticed any "jumpy" behavior.

I am not exactly sure when it happened, but a couple of years ago I noticed that the charge light "never" goes out, and that when charged overnight the percentage of charge, which originally had been 100%, now stops at 98% or 97%. I believe battery life is shorter but I haven't tried to assess it. It is as if the battery indicator is now highly nonlinear, and down to 40% it is "normal," but at 40% there is actually much less than 40% and it drops precipitously down to the warning level.

I haven't fussed about it much because battery life currently is more than adequate, and because there's nothing much to do about it anyway.
Thank you!.
Following all your comments ,and after finding out overall battery health of my new/old Kindle seems to be adequate, I will just enjoy my reading a forget about any minor glitch.

Just in case. In my case this bumpy battery behavior seems to happen just when battery charge is around 90-100%.
Topic Author
waskiri

Post by waskiri »

KarlJ wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:12 pm I have not experienced what the OP described, although a few months ago my 4-year-old Kindle PaperWhite went belly up. All indications point to a dead battery. A YouTube video on PaperWhite battery replacement had a nightmare scenario that shows prying off the glued screen with a special tool, unscrewing tiny screws, flipping the motherboard, removing the old battery, installing the new battery, then reversing all the steps including adding new glue. Clearly there is no guarantee that all these steps will result in a working PaperWhite.
Thank you. "Went belly up" made me smile!. In very informal spanish we say: "Colgó los tenis".
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

I don't know if it makes any difference but I tend to not keep a lot of books on my Kindle. Every once in a while I delete off books I have read knowing that if they are ones we bought, I can get them out of the cloud. The library ones sometimes linger but I delete these fairly quickly.
Topic Author
waskiri

Post by waskiri »

jebmke wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:42 pm I don't know if it makes any difference but I tend to not keep a lot of books on my Kindle. Every once in a while I delete off books I have read knowing that if they are ones we bought, I can get them out of the cloud. The library ones sometimes linger but I delete these fairly quickly.
I do the same, just a kind of "house keeping".
This time, when testing, I sideloaded 8 pdf files (around 250mb) that I deleted just now. I will check if there is a difference in battery consumption.