Large bifold patio doors - Are they stable in the long run

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Bunty

Large bifold patio doors - Are they stable in the long run

Post by Bunty »

We are looking for 16' wide and 8' high bifold patio doors.

I see several dealers of Basikwall in the bay area. But there are hardly any reviews about Basikwall. Just wondering if people have an opinion about it.

Which other manufacturers should we consider?

Are there any issues that you think, we should keep in mind, if we go with bifold doors of this size?

Guidance appreciated.
WhyNotUs

Re: Large bifold patio doors - Are they stable in the long run

Post by WhyNotUs »

Nanawalls seem to be the go to brand where I live. No opinion on how they compare to Basikwall. I only see them shortly after install so I cannot speak to ongoing maintenance. They make a strong impression for homes with big views. We are fairly low on bugs here but I can see that being an issue.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

This topic is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (consumer goods).
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
mjg

Post by mjg »

Take a look at Panoramic Doors as well. We have 12' wide by 8' high doors that were part of our 2019 build (Jan 2020 occupancy). It's a bit different from the bifold in that one door opens (or it can be one door at each end) and then the other doors slide towards the open door where they reach a point where they pivot out to be open against the door that was open. The nice thing about this system is you can slide any of the panels anywhere along the track having one or more smaller openings if that suits your purpose on that given day. Living with these doors for four years, I would easily go with this system again.

https://panoramicdoors.com/aluminum-sliding-doors/

How's the build going? Demo done? All permits approved? On schedule? Lot's of rain this year - hope that's not causing too much problems for you.
PottedPlant

Post by PottedPlant »

We are 13 years in with our 8 x 18 window wall.
A very good experience.
Ours were made in New Zealand and “glassed” in the US.
Mashed or Baked Potatoes?
Alfonsia

Post by Alfonsia »

How do you manage with no screens? I would love something like this but have never lived anywhere that this would be tolerable due to bugs. In my part of the NE the mosquitoes are a nightmare.
mjg

Post by mjg »

Alfonsia wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:55 pm How do you manage with no screens? I would love something like this but have never lived anywhere that this would be tolerable due to bugs. In my part of the NE the mosquitoes are a nightmare.
Panoramic Doors does have an optional screen available for purchase. It will keep out bugs, but would allow a mouse entry. We suspect the one field mouse we caught in our living area after seeing droppings and the setting a trap likely entered when we had the door open with the retractable screen closed - the screen is a flexible fabric that has a means to keep taut (when pulled across the 12' wide opening) but can be pushed out a bit at the bottom.
Wricha

Post by Wricha »

Put in 5 sets of Nanawall folding windows (5 panels each). Extremely well build (hurricane rated) could not be more pleased.
martiansteeler

Post by martiansteeler »

Just a couple pieces of advise from a fellow Bay Area person

If you are on an exposed ridge line, make sure they are rated for the wind load.

Watch your installer like a hawk. Make sure they properly flash the opening and install a door pan.

As someone who is dealing with the fallout of inadequate installation as well watching neighbors go through the same thing, I cannot stress this enough. The folks are Argonaut Window and Door were extremely helpful in helping us diagnose our problems and recommending contractors that could help.

YMMV
Alfonsia

Post by Alfonsia »

mjg wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:59 pm
Alfonsia wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:55 pm How do you manage with no screens? I would love something like this but have never lived anywhere that this would be tolerable due to bugs. In my part of the NE the mosquitoes are a nightmare.
Panoramic Doors does have an optional screen available for purchase. It will keep out bugs, but would allow a mouse entry. We suspect the one field mouse we caught in our living area after seeing droppings and the setting a trap likely entered when we had the door open with the retractable screen closed - the screen is a flexible fabric that has a means to keep taut (when pulled across the 12' wide opening) but can be pushed out a bit at the bottom.
Ah, OK, here bears also enter homes through opened screen sliders, so that's a not for me LOL. Looks so lovely though, especially on lux Australian real estate TV.