Microsoft Office 2021 for Home

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
jt21150

Microsoft Office 2021 for Home

Post by jt21150 »

I have an old Dell Optiplex 3080 Micro desktop that I never opened and am in the process of setting up for home office use. I need to get Microsoft Office, and I know that I can either purchase a one-time license for Office or go with the more expensive licensing fee option for Office 365. If I go with the one-time purchase, I noticed that there are sites out there where you can purchase the one-time license relatively inexpensively, but I don't know how trustworthy these sites are. One website in particular I see a lot is TechSpot - see link below.

https://store.techspot.com/sales/micros ... -license-5

Has anyone had experience with this site and purchasing Office?
dcabler

Re: Microsoft Office 2021 for Home

Post by dcabler »

jt21150 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:54 am I have an old Dell Optiplex 3080 Micro desktop that I never opened and am in the process of setting up for home office use. I need to get Microsoft Office, and I know that I can either purchase a one-time license for Office or go with the more expensive licensing fee option for Office 365. If I go with the one-time purchase, I noticed that there are sites out there where you can purchase the one-time license relatively inexpensively, but I don't know how trustworthy these sites are. One website in particular I see a lot is TechSpot - see link below.

There have been other threads started on this forum regarding using some of these alternative sites to purchase MS products. There have been some questions about the full legality of such licenses and that has resulted in the threads being locked. This is likely for the thread that you just started as well.

Cheers
JordanIB

Post by JordanIB »

Doesn't answer your specific questions, but if you have access to any of those employee perks/discounts sites, I've seen the lifetime license for Office 2021 at similar prices. Mine currently has it for $49.95.
Topic Author
jt21150

Post by jt21150 »

dcabler wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:05 am
jt21150 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:54 am I have an old Dell Optiplex 3080 Micro desktop that I never opened and am in the process of setting up for home office use. I need to get Microsoft Office, and I know that I can either purchase a one-time license for Office or go with the more expensive licensing fee option for Office 365. If I go with the one-time purchase, I noticed that there are sites out there where you can purchase the one-time license relatively inexpensively, but I don't know how trustworthy these sites are. One website in particular I see a lot is TechSpot - see link below.

There have been other threads started on this forum regarding using some of these alternative sites to purchase MS products. There have been some questions about the full legality of such licenses and that has resulted in the threads being locked. This is likely for the thread that you just started as well.

Cheers
It wasn't my intention to cause some legal uproar, just to get some general advice. If the advice is that it might be illegal to purchase such products, then so be it. All advice is helpful.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Best case scenario is these are legitimate but grey market licenses. OEM keys that are only supposed to be bundled with a new PC.

More likely is that they are volume keys being used illegitimately or fraudulent keys generated by a tool like SCDGen.
diy60

Post by diy60 »

I purchased MS Office Home & Student from Costco for somewhere around $75 on a Black Friday deal. Costco and Amazon routinely have this version on sale, though the sale prices seem to hover around $100.
Uniballer

Post by Uniballer »

If you really want Office, so be it. But I just use LibreOffice on everything (Windows, Mac, Linux, BSD).
MGBMartin

Post by MGBMartin »

IIRC Microsoft still sells a one time one PC perpetual license for MS Office 2021 Professional but at over $400.
These $30-40 licenses you see for sale are almost certainly keys from Volume License or MSDN products and may be in violation of Microsoft’s user agreements.
I’m sure many folks have purchased cheap licenses for Office and have not had any problems and will continue to do so.
Just putting it out there.
Bad spellers of the world untie | Autocorrect is my worst enema
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

MGBMartin wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:54 am IIRC Microsoft still sells a one time one PC perpetual license for MS Office 2021 Professional but at over $400.
It's not cheap, for sure, but not quite that expensive. The Home and Business version is more like $250 and the stripped-down Home and Student version is roughly $150.

Everyone's needs are of course different, but Microsoft 365 Family has been really useful for our two-home (snowbird), four-computer situation. DW and I have desktop PCs at both location and our files stay in sync. We always have the latest and greatest versions of Excel, Word, Outlook, etc. The terabtye of cloud storage we get with OneDrive has been great too. We have a discounted price through DW's employer - it renewed at about $70 last April. I will have to check the renewal price coming up, but again, for us it has been a great value. I had been very reluctant to abandon the perpetual model myself, but we have happily been on 365 for a couple of years now.
CorradoJr

Post by CorradoJr »

Following this thread as I am looking for a 1-time purchase option as well.

Just checked Costco and they have Home & Student 2021 for $150, plus a $25 Costco gift card, which helps with the sting a bit.
Amazon is currently at $150 (no sale).
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Cheers
Here's a 2022 thread that I locked: Microsoft Office 2021 Lifetime License (Windows & Mac Digital Download) $30 and note that it was due to a website comment suggesting the terms of service would be violated.

However, further searching of the OP's link and google came up with this: Buy Microsoft Office Professional for Windows for $45 right now, from ZDnet - a reputable website. The article suggests this is a legal approach.

Let's continue the discussion on this basis. Just be careful and purchase your license from a reputable site.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
hoofaman

Post by hoofaman »

Have you tried using Google Docs/Sheets? I find those to be better and easier to use, especially if you ever need to share documents with others. And the price is right (free)

Last time I used MS Office products was 20 years ago I think
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

jt21150 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:18 am

Cheers
It wasn't my intention to cause some legal uproar, just to get some general advice. If the advice is that it might be illegal to purchase such products, then so be it. All advice is helpful.
I recently bought a MS product from a reseller at a lower price than from MS itself after reading several articles from seemingly respectable sources that the source and license was legal for my application, although the price was very low. Realistically IANAL and even if I was there would be a limited amount of time I'd invest in researching the license and the reseller etc. The license key worked so I haven't given it a lot of further thought.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

hoofaman wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:15 am Have you tried using Google Docs/Sheets? I find those to be better and easier to use, especially if you ever need to share documents with others. And the price is right (free)

And Microsoft has a competitor, Office.com. It's a free, web-based version of Office. Functionality is more limited than regular Office, but the interface is basically identical and it probably does everything a home user would need.
mrmass

Post by mrmass »

OP, what part of Office do you really need? Many are looking for Excel-and its Power Query function. If you just tinker with Excel, Word then anything else mentioned works.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

hoofaman wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:15 am Have you tried using Google Docs/Sheets? I find those to be better and easier to use, especially if you ever need to share documents with others. And the price is right (free)

Don't several of the tools commonly used by Bogleheads like VeriPlan and (until later this year) Pralana require actual Microsoft Excel? Some tools might not state that they require it, but - worse - might not give correct results with a freeware replacement. So I'm not sure how practical not having Excel is for many people.
p1db

Post by p1db »

If you want something that runs offline, try LibreOffice which runs on almost any computer, is fully compatible with Microsoft Office products, and is free.

https://www.libreoffice.org/
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

LadyGeek wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:02 am

Cheers
Here's a 2022 thread that I locked: Microsoft Office 2021 Lifetime License (Windows & Mac Digital Download) $30 and note that it was due to a website comment suggesting the terms of service would be violated.

However, further searching of the OP's link and google came up with this: Buy Microsoft Office Professional for Windows for $45 right now, from ZDnet - a reputable website. The article suggests this is a legal approach.

Let's continue the discussion on this basis. Just be careful and purchase your license from a reputable site.
Agree - in this case, we also need to keep in mind that ZDnet is not the seller - StackSocial is.
illumination

Post by illumination »

Another vote for Libre Office that's free, I think 99% of people can get by fine with it.

But I've purchased several copies of Office on stacksocial.com, I learned about it here on Bogleheads. I think I paid $30 recently for a version of 2019 Office. The download comes directly from Microsoft and the license has my name.

The link LadyGeek provided says StackSocial is an authorized Microsoft partner. I think people are being overly paranoid to "not" buy this way, at least when it comes to StackSocial. Microsoft has the resources to drag a company like this into court if they thought it was illegal.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

p1db wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:29 am If you want something that runs offline, try LibreOffice which runs on almost any computer, is fully compatible with Microsoft Office products, and is free.

https://www.libreoffice.org/
Even discounting the issues with Excel, Word documents will often not render identically in LibreOffice. I've used MS Office alternatives for many years and appreciate them being available, but it's misleading to say "fully compatible."
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

CardinalRule wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:36 am

Cheers

Agree - in this case, we also need to keep in mind that ZDnet is not the seller - StackSocial is.
Having purchased products through StackSocial I believe they typically aren't actually the seller either, although that's not to say the purchase isn't legal. Also with Office particularly you have to take notice of the Office version (release year); sometimes an older version is offered and that might or might not work for your purposes. It's not always obvious what the current version is since for example the release years for Windows and Mac vary; unless you're familiar with the MS's release schedules it's not as obvious as when buying a product like Windows 11.
Sampan

Post by Sampan »

One thing to keep in mind when buying the standalone versions of Office is the date when Microsoft will stop supporting -- providing updates, including security updates -- for the software.

For Office 2021, according to Wikipedia: "Support for retail versions of Office 2021 will end on October 13, 2026; unlike older versions of Office, there is no extended support period."

I currently own Office 2019 and I'm keenly aware that support for this one ends on October 14, 2025. I'd considered buying Office 2021 but it makes no sense when I'd only get one more year of support. Later this year Office 2024 is supposed to come out. I'll have to see if that's affordable or I would just take the plunge and subscribe to Office 365.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Sampan wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:52 am One thing to keep in mind when buying the standalone versions of Office is the date when Microsoft will stop supporting -- providing updates, including security updates -- for the software.

For Office 2021, according to Wikipedia: "Support for retail versions of Office 2021 will end on October 13, 2026; unlike older versions of Office, there is no extended support period."

I currently own Office 2019 and I'm keenly aware that support for this one ends on October 14, 2025. I'd considered buying Office 2021 but it makes no sense when I'd only get one more year of support. Later this year Office 2024 is supposed to come out. I'll have to see if that's affordable or I would just take the plunge and subscribe to Office 365.
That's an excellent point. It seems like I was still getting updates for Office 2013(?) as recently as last year, but going forward there can be different policies that might be aligned with the move to subscription models.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

tibbitts wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:17 pm
That's an excellent point. It seems like I was still getting updates for Office 2013(?) as recently as last year, but going forward there can be different policies that might be aligned with the move to subscription models.
I'm using MS Office 2013. The updates ended last April.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

I use Google sheets and docs. However, some people are going to want to work with you in specific Office apps. Check with your work to see if you are eligible for 365 discounts. I checked yesterday, and I can get a discount. This is an another alternative.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

neilpilot wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:29 pm
tibbitts wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:17 pm
I'm using MS Office 2013. The updates ended last April.
Glad I'm not crazy about still getting updates last year. The computer it's on is Windows 10 only so that will fall off before too long as well. But the computer is slow enough that it's only marginally useful at this point so that's okay. It's been a good computer though so no complaints.
newbh933

Post by newbh933 »

illumination wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:37 am Another vote for Libre Office that's free, I think 99% of people can get by fine with it.

But I've purchased several copies of Office on stacksocial.com, I learned about it here on Bogleheads. I think I paid $30 recently for a version of 2019 Office. The download comes directly from Microsoft and the license has my name.

The link LadyGeek provided says StackSocial is an authorized Microsoft partner. I think people are being overly paranoid to "not" buy this way, at least when it comes to StackSocial. Microsoft has the resources to drag a company like this into court if they thought it was illegal.
LadyGeek wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:02 am However, further searching of the OP's link and google came up with this: Buy Microsoft Office Professional for Windows for $45 right now, from ZDnet - a reputable website. The article suggests this is a legal approach.
I'll add that there are certainly other 100% legitimate ways to purchase Microsoft Office at similar low prices, but many are tied to employment (one way or another). I bought 2 copies of Office 2021 last year for around $40 each and then early this year 1 more Office 2021 and 2 Office 2019 (for $20 each). Just got another ad this morning from our work discount deal place advertising yet again for very similar prices (plus Mac versions for somewhat different prices). These (ultimately) end up getting keys directly from Microsoft (IIRC).
Nobody knows nothing... and I know even less!
AgentOrange

Post by AgentOrange »

I'd like to use LibreOffice, because all I really need are the Word and Excel equivalents.
BUT, I have been using Outlook for the past fifteen years, so what email program would you guys recommend to get my email from Comcast?
I also would like to keep all my old emails, as there's lots of legal/financial comms. there.
:happy
MGBMartin

Post by MGBMartin »

AgentOrange wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:44 pm I'd like to use LibreOffice, because all I really need are the Word and Excel equivalents.
BUT, I have been using Outlook for the past fifteen years, so what email program would you guys recommend to get my email from Comcast?
I also would like to keep all my old emails, as there's lots of legal/financial comms. there.
I believe Microsoft still offers a free version of Outlook.
Bad spellers of the world untie | Autocorrect is my worst enema
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

MGBMartin wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:49 pm
AgentOrange wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:44 pm I'd like to use LibreOffice, because all I really need are the Word and Excel equivalents.
I believe Microsoft still offers a free version of Outlook.
Correct.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2225109 ... k-app.html
bombcar

Post by bombcar »

As a note, and depending on how many machines you have, the silly subscription may actually be a better deal, especially if you want to always be on the latest version.

$70 a year, can go on five machines. Can even get an email and domain for a bit more.

It’s not a terrible deal.
mjg

Post by mjg »

I’ve bought multiple Office 2021 and Windows 11 licenses in the past two years from Gamers-Outlet.net and all licenses have always activated with Microsoft successfully.
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

The $30 deal for Office 2021 was also being promoted on pcworld.com when I looked today.

https://www.pcworld.com/deals
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

tibbitts wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:27 am Don't several of the tools commonly used by Bogleheads like VeriPlan and (until later this year) Pralana require actual Microsoft Excel? Some tools might not state that they require it, but - worse - might not give correct results with a freeware replacement. So I'm not sure how practical not having Excel is for many people.
Yes. Pralana was suggested to me. I'm a LibreOffice user for decades. Previously StarOffice. Used it on OS/2, way back.

Unfortunately, Pralana requires actual Excel. I really wish that wasn't the case. I have a big problem with software subscriptions and will simply not rent Office365. I have stopped updating many programs that eliminated perpetual licenses, even though I would usually upgrade them every other year.

Office 2021 with perpetual license, I would consider. I hope Pralana and others will not depend on features specific to Office365 in the future.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

CardinalRule wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:16 pm The $30 deal for Office 2021 was also being promoted on pcworld.com when I looked today.

Looks like that deal is for Office 2019, not 2021.
Thesaints

Post by Thesaints »

Paid about $30 for lifetime license.
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

madbrain wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:59 pm
CardinalRule wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:16 pm The $30 deal for Office 2021 was also being promoted on pcworld.com when I looked today.

Looks like that deal is for Office 2019, not 2021.
Looks like you are right - my mistake. Thanks.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

bombcar wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:46 pm As a note, and depending on how many machines you have, the silly subscription may actually be a better deal, especially if you want to always be on the latest version.

$70 a year, can go on five machines. Can even get an email and domain for a bit more.

It’s not a terrible deal.
The family plan is an even better deal. $100 (or $70 with a corporate discount) for six users, each of which can have office installed on 5 computers at a time and unlimited mobile devices, plus a 1TB OneDrive per user.

For the 5 users in my family (myself included), this works out to $14/year. Or $6 less than folks are paying (one time) for an ancient version of office that stopped getting security patches last year.
Juice3

Post by Juice3 »

I do not think another VERY important benefit of M365 has been mentioned.

Offsite backup. This has value and includes ease of converting to a new / multiple laptop in future.
NewishBog

Post by NewishBog »

Keep in mind that "lifetime" appears to refer to the particular computer's lifetime, not the user's lifetime.
IMPORTANT: This licensing type will be connected with your actual device, NOT your Microsoft account.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

lazydavid wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:25 am Or $6 less than folks are paying (one time) for an ancient version of office that stopped getting security patches last year.
Office 2021 is still getting updates, until 2026.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/lifec ... ffice-2021
LookinAround

Post by LookinAround »

You can get a copy of Office Pro 2021 from Groupon. I bought a copy a few months ago. It downloaded from the MS website. I've seen the price bounce around. At the moment, 3/15/2024, it's $21 for a Windows PC license
02nz

Post by 02nz »

NewishBog wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:29 am Keep in mind that "lifetime" appears to refer to the particular computer's lifetime, not the user's lifetime.
IMPORTANT: This licensing type will be connected with your actual device, NOT your Microsoft account.
If you replace the computer on which Office is installed, you can de-activate and re-activate on the new device. You don't have to get a new license.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

madbrain wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:21 pm
lazydavid wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:25 am Or $6 less than folks are paying (one time) for an ancient version of office that stopped getting security patches last year.
Office 2021 is still getting updates, until 2026.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/lifec ... ffice-2021
But the version that people are reporting getting for $20 is office 2019. Which ended support in October. As noted above, you can also get this unsupported version for $30. But the cheapest I've seen anyone report getting 2021 is $45. And 3 years at $14/user/year takes you a year longer (to 2027), for $3 less. :)
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

lazydavid wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm But the version that people are reporting getting for $20 is office 2019. Which ended support in October. As noted above, you can also get this unsupported version for $30. But the cheapest I've seen anyone report getting 2021 is $45. And 3 years at $14/user/year takes you a year longer (to 2027), for $3 less. :)
True, the deal in the OP is for $45 for Office 2021.

My need is only to use Pralana Gold on one computer. Even when Office 2021 stops getting security updates, it will still function.

I don't value the 1TB cloud storage as that is too small, and ISP upload speed is too low for cloud backup to make sense. If it was 100TB and I had a 10Gbps upload speed, I would reconsider.

I don't think the subscription makes sense for me at least. Subscription prices will go up over time with inflation. Corporate discounts will vary. In the long-term you end up paying more. They wouldn't push subscription models if that wasn't the case.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

madbrain wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:46 pm I don't think the subscription makes sense for me at least. Subscription prices will go up over time with inflation. Corporate discounts will vary. In the long-term you end up paying more. They wouldn't push subscription models if that wasn't the case.
It may indeed not make sense for you. But the bolded part has absolutely not proven to be true. When O365 launched in 2013, it was $100 for one user, with 5 installs. That is $133 in today's money. But today the retail price of a one-user subscription is $70, and for $100 (or $70 with a corporate discount) you get 6 users. So it has gotten dramatically cheaper in real dollars over the intervening 11 years, not more expensive.

Corporate discounts also do not vary. They are fixed at 30%, regardless of what company you get it through. And you only have to validate once, so the discount is permanent, even if you change employers.
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

Not for everyone, of course, but I am pretty sure that relatively few users need or want 100 terabytes of storage. The family plan gives us 1 terabyte per user, not in total. That’s a lot of storage.
woody245

Post by woody245 »

The basic Microsoft office online is good for word documents (resumes) and very basic excel spreadsheets without complicated formulas. Onenote and Outlook are free on windows and Mac. But office online is bad for powerpoint. Macs and or free iCloud accounts come with free equivalents (numbers, pages, keynote). Slightly better than office online but not as good as the full blown office offline/subscription. Macs get many years of support, at least 7. Since I only used excel, it was easy to convert my spreadsheets to numbers and have access on my Mac and iPhone. And I use Onenote for free.

I'd only buy the full blown office if I needed powerpoint and for pro features of excel.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

I too use Outlook. That is, Outlook the desktop app, not Outlook the email server. Yes, it's confusing.

Before I switched to Outlook, I used Thunderbird.

I forget why I switched!
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

lazydavid wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm
... is office 2019. Which ended support in October.
Support doesn't end until October 2025.

In any case - for those that want to stick with MS go with O365. Otherwise go with google or another free option mentioned.
I don't get the standalone install need folks feel they need for MS. It won't be supported for ever and MS is really going to focus on subscriptions like everyone else.