New iPhone (upgrade from XR to 13 or maybe 14) anything I am overlooking?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Calico

New iPhone (upgrade from XR to 13 or maybe 14) anything I am overlooking?

Post by Calico »

I am looking to get a new iPhone to replace my four, maybe five-year-old iPhone XR. I wrote out why, but it really doesn't matter why so I deleted all that boring information from this post. haha. I am replacing it for a variety of reasons. I've decided that for certain.

The newest iPhone, the 15, is not on my radar, I want to get the older ones at a lower price. And let's face it, everything is an upgrade for me now. They don't even sell the XR anymore.

I compared the 13 and 14 and they don't seem remarkably different except that 13 is $100 less than the 14. As far as storage goes, my current phone has 128GB and I am currently using 59GB (I also have cloud storage where I save photos... I take a lot of photos). The 128GB is $100 less than the next step up, 256GB.

I am leaning towards the iPhone 13 with 128 GB of storage. It's the least expensive option and I think it meets all my needs and I would get that camera I like before my trip.

But before I make this purchase, is there any reason any of you more tech savvy Bogleheads would recommend the 14 over the 13? Is there something I am missing when I compare them? And is there any reason to get the next step up in storage? If it helps, I would say except the fact that I take so many photos that my daughter dubbed me the "mamarazzi," I am an average user (I don't take videos, download whole movies or TV shows to watch, play intensive games on my phone, etc). The photos I do take, I save elsewhere and I delete the rejects. I just take a lot of shots so I get a good one.

Thanks!
boogiehead

Re: New iPhone (upgrade from XR to 13 or maybe 14) anything I am overlooking?

Post by boogiehead »

I did the same upgrade last year (XR) and ended up choosing iphone 13 for a few reasons: iphone 14 no longer has a sim slot (only) e-sim and this could be a problem in some countries where they still use sim cards if you wanted to get a sim card in that country, iphone 13 utilizes lighting charging cable vs iphone 14 uses usb-c (I have an older ipad 8 which uses lighting cable so I only need to bring one cable during the trips, lastly iphone 13 was $100 cheaper too at that time.

In terms of memory I think it may worth it for you to get the 256gb since you like photography so you don't have to constantly erase pictures after a few trips.
Topic Author
Calico

Post by Calico »

boogiehead wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:25 pm I did the same upgrade last year (XR) and ended up choosing iphone 13 for a few reasons: iphone 14 no longer has a sim slot (only) e-sim and this could be a problem in some countries where they still use sim cards if you wanted to get a sim card in that country, iphone 13 utilizes lighting charging cable vs iphone 14 uses usb-c (I have an older ipad 8 which uses lighting cable so I only need to bring one cable during the trips, lastly iphone 13 was $100 cheaper too at that time.

In terms of memory I think it may worth it for you to get the 256gb since you like photography so you don't have to constantly erase pictures after a few trips.
Thanks! That's good to know about the charging cables. It might seem trivial, but my daughter and I using the same ones will make life easier when she forgets to bring home her charger... again. haha. And it will be easier if we are on a road trip and want to switch out phones. I also travel overseas for vacations and I may need that sim slot. Good information!

I should clarify, I don't "have" to delete photos. I just do. I am the type of person who might take (I kid you not) 50 pictures of my toddler niece running towards me at different angles and such so I can pick out the best/cutest shot. I save that best shot and delete the 49 other similar (but not as good) other shots. I just like to keep things uncluttered like that. My phone storage says 5.98 GB is currently being used by photos.
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

I agree that there is not much difference between the 13 & 14. I bought a 13 because it was a better value. I upgraded from a SE and the face id is a game changer, much better than touch id.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Calico wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:11 pm And is there any reason to get the next step up in storage?
When you migrate, all the old iOS updates in the backup section of your cloud storage will get purged and your storage use will drop. Actually, you can purge them with your current phone and free up quite a bit of storage. But if you are upgrading phones it will happen automatically I think.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
Topic Author
Calico

Post by Calico »

jebmke wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:47 pm
Calico wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:11 pm And is there any reason to get the next step up in storage?
When you migrate, all the old iOS updates in the backup section of your cloud storage will get purged and your storage use will drop. Actually, you can purge them with your current phone and free up quite a bit of storage. But if you are upgrading phones it will happen automatically I think.
That's good to know. So my new phone should have less than 59gb taken up. Actually, I can free up 5.47gb right now by removing all the saved attachments from messenger that are over a year old. I don't even care about those attachments. I download and save anything in messages worth saving.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

boogiehead wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:25 pm iphone 13 utilizes lighting charging cable vs iphone 14 uses usb-c
The iPhone 14 uses Lightning. The change to USB-C came with iPhone 15.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Calico wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:31 pm
boogiehead wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:25 pm I did the same upgrade last year (XR) and ended up choosing iphone 13 for a few reasons: iphone 14 no longer has a sim slot (only) e-sim and this could be a problem in some countries where they still use sim cards if you wanted to get a sim card in that country, iphone 13 utilizes lighting charging cable vs iphone 14 uses usb-c (I have an older ipad 8 which uses lighting cable so I only need to bring one cable during the trips, lastly iphone 13 was $100 cheaper too at that time.

Thanks! That's good to know about the charging cables. It might seem trivial, but my daughter and I using the same ones will make life easier when she forgets to bring home her charger... again. haha. And it will be easier if we are on a road trip and want to switch out phones. I also travel overseas for vacations and I may need that sim slot. Good information!
Actually, only the iPhone 15 uses USB-C. 14 is Lightning. I find that USB-C it's much easier - pretty much everything else is already USB-C, and Apple will have largely gotten rid of Lightning by the end of this year.

As for eSIM vs physical - I find eSIM significantly easier for international traveling. US Mobile (among many other providers) sell eSIM plans for international use. I get one before I travel, it's loaded in the phone and ready to use. No standing in line at cell phone shops upon arrival, no figuring out their plans, no looking for a paper clip to eject the SIM tray ...

I would go with either the 13 for lowest price for 15 for USB-C. The 14 actually has most of the same internals as the 13, unless you go for the Pro.
Last edited by 02nz on Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sambb

Post by sambb »

15 for USB C. iphone is the best device out there in the last century. Wouldnt hesitate to spend on it.
Badinvestor

Post by Badinvestor »

I have read that photographers like the 13 pro and pro max over the plain 13. An example of a gushing review, accompanied by a sample gallery:

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/09060 ... 21?slide=5

https://www.dpreview.com/samples/749465 ... preview-tv

Also there's this pro versus non-pro comparison for the 15:

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/86156 ... amera-test
midoxidil

Post by midoxidil »

Replacing the wife's13 with 15 Max Pro. She likes to take pictures.

We are not in a position where we need to nickel and dime and settle for older model technology.

Unlike cars that depreciate soon as you drive them off lot, technology (laptops, computers, i phones, etc) become obsolete rapidly as technology advances. I usually recommend to buy the latest technology that you can afford.

We have not had any luck with old style i phones. You are aware these are refurbished and not new. My experience has been that these do not last long, needing to be replaced sooner and costing more in long run.
er999

Post by er999 »

I also have an iPhone X. When I upgrade it will be to a 14 or newer since satellite sos started with the iPhone 14. This is a cool, although extremely unlikely to use, feature, that could potentially save you in an emergency. See this article:

https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... te-feature
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Calico wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:11 pm I compared the 13 and 14 and they don't seem remarkably different except that 13 is $100 less than the 14.
Have you checked with your cell plan provider? My youngest daughter just got a 13 for "free" from our provider. It is locked into a two year contract but we weren't planning on changing anyway.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

midoxidil wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:54 pm Replacing the wife's13 with 15 Max Pro. She likes to take pictures.

We are not in a position where we need to nickel and dime and settle for older model technology.

Unlike cars that depreciate soon as you drive them off lot, technology (laptops, computers, i phones, etc) become obsolete rapidly as technology advances. I usually recommend to buy the latest technology that you can afford.

We have not had any luck with old style i phones. You are aware these are refurbished and not new. My experience has been that these do not last long, needing to be replaced sooner and costing more in long run.
Or the cost per year might be lower. I have a 12 mini I’ve had for quite a while and it shows no sign of slowness. The battery health indicates 94%. If true, perhaps mine will run a few years longer until they finally bring the mini back.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

lthenderson wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:50 am
Calico wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:11 pm I compared the 13 and 14 and they don't seem remarkably different except that 13 is $100 less than the 14.
Have you checked with your cell plan provider? My youngest daughter just got a 13 for "free" from our provider. It is locked into a two year contract but we weren't planning on changing anyway.
I think my sister just swapped her 8 for a free 13 plus a watch for switching carriers.
Topic Author
Calico

Post by Calico »

Thanks everyone. You've given me a lot to think about. The only question I still have in my head is 128gb vs 256gb. There must be a thousands of articles and questions about that on the web already (I've looked). It's probably just something I have to decide for myself.

While boogiehead did make a great suggestion, I think it was based on me not being clear (cleaning out photos is more about me wanting to be organized than lack of space). If anything, I don't think I need the 2TB of space I have on the iCloud now. I only have 42gb of photos there. Right now, everything uploads to the iCloud. Still it can't hurt to have extra storage... except that if I am not using it because everything uploads to iCloud, I am basically throwing away $100. I still need the iCloud storage anyway since I use it for computer files too (and that eats up 150gb). The extra memory question is the difference between $480 and $580 (they are offering me $120 for my trade in).

Speaking of new, for the life of me, I can't find anywhere on the Apple website where it says what they are selling is refurbished so I think there might be a misunderstanding (maybe I wasn't clear again). I am fairly sure this is a new phone. It's sold in the same area of their website as the 15s and 14s and if I go though the tree of purchasing, at the end it says, "new iPhone." I did a google search and found where Apple does sell refurbished iPhones, but they only sell the older models there, not their current ones.

By the way, I did look though my carrier as people suggested... thank you! I think I will pass. While it's $0 per month for the phone, if I cancel my plan the cost they are charging me is up to $729 for the phone and I would have to upgrade my plan with them too and lock in that new contract for three years. I don't want to be so restricted and think I rather flat out own my phone. But it's a great suggestion too!
folkher0

Post by folkher0 »

i got a brand new 13 128 gb from walmart a few months ago for like $279. It was locked to verizon for 2 months, now its unlocked and I'm using it on an MVNO. I was on an SE first gen for a while, then an XR. The 13 is much snappier. My wife has the 15 pro. It cost something like $1000.

At this point in the cycle, the difference between the two phones is not worth the difference in money. The 13 does 95% of what the 15 pro does. It was cheap so i don't need apple care.

Up to you what you're priorities are, obviously.
Topic Author
Calico

Post by Calico »

folkher0 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:49 am i got a brand new 13 128 gb from walmart a few months ago for like $279. It was locked to verizon for 2 months, now its unlocked and I'm using it on an MVNO. I was on an SE first gen for a while, then an XR. The 13 is much snappier. My wife has the 15 pro. It cost something like $1000.

At this point in the cycle, the difference between the two phones is not worth the difference in money. The 13 does 95% of what the 15 pro does. It was cheap so i don't need apple care.

What a great price! That's $200 less than what I can get the 13 for. I am not a phone super user, I just like to take a lot of pictures when I am on vacation or at family events. And I was happy with the XR until recently (when the phone and camera started having issues).

While I appreciate the feedback from other posters regarding the 15, it's really not on my radar right now. It's nearly twice the price of the 13. I never buy the newest tech, never have. I came close with the XR since it was newer when I got it, but it was also the budget iPhone back when I got it. Maybe in 3 or 4 years I will consider a 15 or whatever else is out. It was always 13 vs 14 for me. For the record, I decided to go with the 13. The only tempting feature about the 14 is that satellite SOS but I live in the "Megalopolis" area of the East Coast of the US where there is pretty much always cell phone coverage, everywhere. And I have an emergency SOS in my car too. Like the poster who pointed it out said, it's a cool feature, but very unlikely for me to use.
boogiehead

Post by boogiehead »

02nz wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:31 pm
boogiehead wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:25 pm iphone 13 utilizes lighting charging cable vs iphone 14 uses usb-c
The iPhone 14 uses Lightning. The change to USB-C came with iPhone 15.
Oops thanks for pointing that out I got them confused.
TheRoundHeadedKid

Post by TheRoundHeadedKid »

I only upgrade when the phone no longer works or no longer gets security updates. Saves a lot of money.
All 86 Vanguard ETFs equally invested.
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

my iPhone 13 works pretty good…satisfied…I am “considering” upgrading to a 15plus.
Topic Author
Calico

Post by Calico »

TheRoundHeadedKid wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:32 pm I only upgrade when the phone no longer works or no longer gets security updates. Saves a lot of money.
I’m not quite to that stage with my current phone, but it’s close. My phone has been very flaky and sometimes is completely unresponsive. My daughter’s old XR phone was in a similar situation, was acting the same, and it ended up needing to be replaced because it wasn’t worth the estimated repair cost (or this mother’s worry that her phone might stop working when she’s away at college). I got her a 13 a year ago. I figure between my phone acting like hers did before it had to be replaced and me really wanting a better camera before I go on a trip to Iceland in two months; it’s time to get a new phone.
zie

Post by zie »

Calico wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:37 pm
TheRoundHeadedKid wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:32 pm I only upgrade when the phone no longer works or no longer gets security updates. Saves a lot of money.
I’m not quite to that stage with my current phone, but it’s close. My phone has been very flaky and sometimes is completely unresponsive. My daughter’s old XR phone was in a similar situation, was acting the same, and it ended up needing to be replaced because it wasn’t worth the estimated repair cost (or this mother’s worry that her phone might stop working when she’s away at college). I got her a 13 a year ago. I figure between my phone acting like hers did before it had to be replaced and me really wanting a better camera before I go on a trip to Iceland in two months; it’s time to get a new phone.
I'm the same way, My iPhone XR still works fine, so far. It seems totally reasonable if you are having problems with your phone to replace it. It will stop receiving security updates next year anyway.

I'd recommend the bigger number, so 14, vs the 13. Just because it will let you last longer with a replacement next time around, and you get a bit better camera every model year.

Personally, I'm hoping to last until the iPhone 16 comes out, but if not, I'll buy the 15. I want the USB-C, because everything else of mine is already upgraded to that connector. Pro tip: If you use TOTP software (Microsoft Authenticator or Google Authenticator) be sure to back those up and make sure they move over to the new phone also, they generally don't move over automatically via the backup and restore system of the phone.

Have fun with your new phone!
Whether rich or poor, a young woman should know how a bank account works, understand the composition of mortgages and bonds, and know the value of interest and how it accumulates. -Hetty Green
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

er999 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:27 am I also have an iPhone X. When I upgrade it will be to a 14 or newer since satellite sos started with the iPhone 14. This is a cool, although extremely unlikely to use, feature, that could potentially save you in an emergency. See this article:
DW and I both went from the XR to the 14 last year. The satellite feature was really important for us as we have been doing more hiking and outdoor activities (and road trips) in areas of spotty coverage. Maybe we will never have to use it, but it is comforting to know we have it.
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

02nz wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:35 pm As for eSIM vs physical - I find eSIM significantly easier for international traveling. US Mobile (among many other providers) sell eSIM plans for international use. I get one before I travel, it's loaded in the phone and ready to use. No standing in line at cell phone shops upon arrival, no figuring out their plans, no looking for a paper clip to eject the SIM tray ...
I second this. There are so many reasonably priced options for international eSIMs that I haven't found it to be an issue at all. That plus wifi calling have really simplified the whole process.
tashnewbie

Post by tashnewbie »

I would go with 14 because it will receive security updates longer than 13 and the price difference is very nominal.
Point

Post by Point »

If you're really geeking out over cameras, go with the latest and greatest camera features.

Otherwise, speed is better overall with the latest phones, my iPhone XS Max still works well (I replaced battery more than once), but my wife's 14 runs circles around it doing updates and anything intensive.

Lastly, the satellite feature is really important on the recent iPhones if you'll be off grid on your drives, hikes, etc. You won't need it till you need it....
02nz

Post by 02nz »

tashnewbie wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:05 am I would go with 14 because it will receive security updates longer than 13 and the price difference is very nominal.
I wouldn't bet on that - the iPhone 14 (non-Pro) has the same processor as iPhone 13 (first time Apple kept the old processor for a new iPhone generation, I believe), although it does have more RAM.
TravellingTechOnFire

Post by TravellingTechOnFire »

Agree. I have my wife's hand me down iPhone 11...I didn't know what # it was until I checked, since it works like new and I don't care. I expect it to last and work perfectly fine for many more years. If/when the battery doesn't perform well, I'll spend $69 to replace and get more years from it.

In the case of the OP, it seems they are having issues with their older phone. There is indeed a valid need to occasionally upgrade. But going from an iPhone 13 to a 15 just to have the latest expensive shiny gadget that works about the same seems rather wasteful, and with little to no benefit compared to the expense.
TravellingTechOnFire

folkher0 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:49 am i got a brand new 13 128 gb from walmart a few months ago for like $279. It was locked to verizon for 2 months, now its unlocked and I'm using it on an MVNO. I was on an SE first gen for a while, then an XR. The 13 is much snappier. My wife has the 15 pro. It cost something like $1000.

You have hit the sweet spot for value!! :sharebeer Buying a phone in this way, for a couple, easily saves ~$10,000 over 10 years. That's not insignificant. Combine that with a low cost cell plan and that easily turns into a $20k+ savings vs the average "buy new every 2 years from a major carrier" plan.

Maybe I will become so wealthy some day that spending an extra $20k for nearly the same thing won't matter, but its hard for me to imagine I'll ever become that wasteful/careless with money.
TravellingTechOnFire

Calico wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:37 pm
Definitely seems to be time to upgrade. I wouldn't sweat it..you seem to be intent on going the high value route i.e. fairly new iPhone13 at low cost. I wouldn't rule out shopping for a decent entry level camera. Image quality and zoom will be drastically superior to your cell phone if you are that interested in photography. Recently got my wife a sub $500 camera and it takes surprisingly fantastic pictures that are in a different league from her iPhone. Zoom is really nice.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Go new. Used phones. I would just go to a 15. A new 14 is $100 less. Maybe a difference maker.

At some point in the journey, just go new. Life short. Then you die.
sureshoe

Post by sureshoe »

Calico wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:45 am Thanks everyone. You've given me a lot to think about. The only question I still have in my head is 128gb vs 256gb. There must be a thousands of articles and questions about that on the web already (I've looked). It's probably just something I have to decide for myself.
Here's the only guidance I'll give as you think about a checklist for making your decision: 128GB is a TON of space that you really have no reason to use. It just comes down to whether you want to manage stuff. My phone, with absolutely 0 house cleaning is at 140GB. Just looking, I have 11GB of messages (some probably 7+ years old). Somehow Facebook is taking up 10GB. Audible takes up 6GB. Podcasts (I haven't listened to in 2+ years) take up 6GB. Spotify takes up 4GB because I download everything for offline. I then have about 100GB of apps that I don't use.

Photos is only 2.5GB because I use the "optimize phone storage" option. I have thousands upon thousands over a 7+ year period.

Having said that, I have 256GB just because. No other, better reason than I don't ever want to worry about the limit.
Topic Author
Calico

Post by Calico »

I figured I should update so this thread can go to bed (so to speak).

I went to the Apple store. I ended up getting the 13 with 128 gb. It is a brand new phone (it's not refurbished or anything like that). It's the phone equivalent of buying the 2023 car off the lot when the 2025s just came out. It has a one-year warranty and will be serviced with updates until at least 2028. Considering my phones last me 4-5 years, that's just about right for the next upgrade. It cost me $480. And if I really feel like I made a mistake, the current trade in value of the new phone is $320. But I am happy with it. It's nice to have Apple Car play again. It's nice to be able to answer the phone again because the screen recognizes swipes all the time. And I even have more memory once I transferred the data (I am down to 45gb used out of 128gb).

I know that this thread didn't change my mind, but you all did provide great information and a lot to think about and I am grateful for it. I learned a lot from the thread. And I was very tempted by the 14 (mainly for that SOS feature that posters here mentioned). But I decided not to get that phone just for that feature. I have to be outside (it doesn't work indoors or even inside a car for the most part). There can't be anything overhead like trees or over-crops blocking the sky: Nothing can block the signal. And I have to have the wherewithal to point it at a satellite. The idea that I might be in a car crash off the road in an area without cell service and not be too injured so that I can use it all seems very situational.

I decided I needed to make a choice: go big and get the 15 or go value and get the 13. The 15 looks nice, but I opted for value. Maybe I will consider the 15 in a few years, when the 16 or whatever is out and the 15 is discounted.

As for cameras, The 13 camera is really, really good for what I want it for. I am impressed! The pictures are so much better than on my old phone that I can see it clearly with the naked eye. But I kind of knew that from seeing my daughter's pictures anyway. That said, I might borrow my daughter's digital SLR for Iceland too based on advice from this thread. I am sure she will lend it to me since she didn't even bring it to college with her (it was more of a high school hobby for her). It's a nice Canon.

Thank you again everyone!