Supermarket pizza - any good ones? Any great ones?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
PeninsulaPerson

Supermarket pizza - any good ones? Any great ones?

Post by PeninsulaPerson »

(Here on Super Sunday and dreaming of pizza, I did a search for this but did not see anything on this particular point.)

Our favorite, beloved, amazing hearth pizza place has closed. Essentially a victim of Covid - the office workers never came back to the office ... :(.

There is plenty of pizza in Metro Boston, so we're looking for a new favorite place.

In the meantime, I was at Stop & Shop yesterday and - by chance - went by the frozen pizza aisle. There were so many choices! I was astonished.

Do you know if any of the supermarket pizzas are any good - or even great?

(We did have a Newman's Own pizza at a friend's about two years ago and that was particularly cardboard-like.)

I could also buy pizza dough from a local bakery and make pizza myself but I have not had the best luck with that as my stove is just not as capable as a pizza oven.

Any recommendations most appreciated!
tainted-meat

Re: Supermarket pizza - any good ones? Any great ones?

Post by tainted-meat »

The Wal-Mart Marketside pizzas that are refrigerated (not frozen) are solid. Crust is just right - not too thick or thin. I like the Supreme ones.

$10.50 for an extra large Supreme and I don't feel all salted out afterwards.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I worked in a pizza place and we would sell uncooked pizzas in our pans to customers. They would cook at home and bring the pans back.

Of course, it is helpful if you have a pizza stone to toast the bottom of the crust after baking.
Last edited by livesoft on Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Not for today but if you have a grill, they work well for pizza. I haven't done a pizza in the oven in many years. Always on the grill. We make our own dough but a pre-made dough should work also.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Topic Author
PeninsulaPerson

Hmmm, hmmm - good to hear. Thanks, folks!
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

I've tried a few frozen pizzas that others rave about, and found them all to be bad.

One option is to go to the grocery store and buy all the ingredients you need, and make your own pizza. I recommend a pizza stone or cooking directly on the oven rack. You can also use an outdoor grill. Costco sells decent pizza crusts, but most grocery stores do, too. And some sell a decent take and bake that is fresh, not frozen. You can also make your own pizza crust, but that is likely too much work.
Marylander1

Post by Marylander1 »

If available in your area Pinsa are much better than most pizza restaurants. https://www.pinsa.love/
jaqenhghar

Post by jaqenhghar »

I recently tried Red Barron's supreme and meat trio pizzas. Was very pleasantly surprised. Stuck in the air fryer for a few minutes and it was quite tasty!
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

Home Run Inn. Walmart and Publix both sell them.
Doctor Rhythm

Post by Doctor Rhythm »

We add fresh ingredients to the frozen pizza (I think it’s the Safeway Signature Select brand).
Topic Author
PeninsulaPerson

jaqenhghar wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:50 am
I recently tried Red Barron's supreme and meat trio pizzas. Was very pleasantly surprised.

I saw the Red Barron's pizzas yesterday and almost took a chance on buying one to try it out! They looked good!

(My husband suggested I ask the BHers first - from what I have told him of people's responses here, he has come to the conclusion that you folks know everything ... :).)

Alas, we do not have a grill. Or an air-fryer. Tho' pizza might be a good reason to get an air-fryer. For us right now, it's just the stove and the microwave to heat things up.

Am definitely looking for "very pleasantly surprised" pizzas. It would be so easy to have one in the freezer to make for dinner on an otherwise busy night.
Topic Author
PeninsulaPerson

whodidntante wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:49 am
You can also make your own pizza crust, but that is likely too much work.

I have just not had that much luck with things like that. A friend assures me I could make my own pasta and ravioli. I know my limitations and homemade pasta is at the top of that list ... :oops:. Sad to say, it usually becomes an ingredients-wasted inedible mess. Probably making my own pizza dough would be in that category - I am not good with yeast!
Last edited by PeninsulaPerson on Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

The very best prepackaged pizza, refrigerated or frozen, can be way better than nothing, but it's not close to being as good as any neighborhood pizza shop's pizza.

I tried an experiment a couple of days ago and it came out really well.

I went to a supermarket and bought: a) frozen pizza dough (supermarket's own brand); b) a jar of prepared pizza sauce (Rao's homemade); c) a jar of mozzarella "pearls;" d) a refrigerated package of pepperoni slices; e) a refrigerated package of Italian sausages. Followed the dough directions, put the other ingredients on top of the dough, and... I couldn't believe it: it turned into a pizza.

No, it was not the same as a pizzeria pizza. Among other things I haven't figured out how to stretch the dough and it was a little more like "French bread pizza." But it was definitely better than frozen or prepackaged. And not much work to prepare.

Was that "a supermarket pizza?"

I don't want to think about the total price of the ingredients, but of course the big catch with cooking things at home is that you can't get the right amount of any ingredient so you end up with a lot of leftovers to use creatively. Half the pepperoni was left over, and 4 of the 5 sausages.

I'm going to try it again soon.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Everyone has different tastes but to me, the key to a decent cook on pizza is heat. Oven's don't get there so even a store bought pizza is going to be weak sauce IMO but maybe the best you can do given the circumstances.

I don't know if an air fryer gets hot enough - I'd have to ask spouse as she is the master of the AF.

I try to make sure the grill is 600F or more before I put that crust down or it just comes out eating like baked bread, not crisp. Our oven won't get that high.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
rob

Post by rob »

jebmke wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:48 am Not for today but if you have a grill, they work well for pizza. I haven't done a pizza in the oven in many years. Always on the grill. We make our own dough but a pre-made dough should work also.
I know no help to OP but this is the answer.... Tried this some years ago just for a joke (didn't know it was real) and it worked incredibly well. We do it all the time in summer now.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
Topic Author
PeninsulaPerson

nisiprius wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:00 pm
I tried an experiment a couple of days ago and it came out really well.

I went to a supermarket and bought: a) frozen pizza dough (supermarket's own brand); b) a jar of prepared pizza sauce (Rao's homemade); c) a jar of mozzarella "pearls;" d) a refrigerated package of pepperoni slices; e) a refrigerated package of Italian sausages. Followed the dough directions, put the other ingredients on top of the dough, and... I couldn't believe it: it turned into a pizza.

No, it was not the same as a pizzeria pizza. Among other things I haven't figured out how to stretch the dough and it was a little more like "French bread pizza." But it was definitely better than frozen or prepackaged. And not much work to prepare.

Was that "a supermarket pizza?"

I don't want to think about the total price of the ingredients, but of course the big catch with cooking things at home is that you can't get the right amount of any ingredient so you end up with a lot of leftovers to use creatively. Half the pepperoni was left over, and 4 of the 5 sausages.

I'm going to try it again soon.

You hit every point exactly!

I tried that a few times and the dough was just too thick. Alas!

I saw the Rao's sauce recently and I do like Rao's stuff a lot, so I was thinking of trying that. But my husband just doesn't like the super-thick dough pizzas.

What you made was certainly different (and - sounds like - better!) than a frozen pizza, for sure.

Speaking of freezing, you can probably freeze the pepperoni and sausage for your next try. Bon appetit!

Of course, I had to get the pizza jones today when getting one at a good place is just short of impossible! Miss our old favorite very much!
nodding

Post by nodding »

I tried a lot of frozen pizzas in 2020 during the peak covid lockdown times. The one I liked the best was Red Baron's Brick Oven Cheese-Trio. The brick oven part of it wasn't so special. In fact, I don't really remember the final cooked pizza being any different from any other frozen pizza. But they put this seasoning on the pizza that I really liked. I'm seeing now after looking up this pizza again that it's parsley.

Kind of funny, I guess I could've just put parsley on a cheaper frozen pizza to get the same effect. Not sure why I never thought of that until now...
rk6

Post by rk6 »

We have tried quite a few and we find that the Freschetta and the Motor City Pizza brands are the best tasting to us. The Motor City Pizza we have only been able to find at Walmart.
mhadden1

Post by mhadden1 »

PeninsulaPerson wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:00 pm
whodidntante wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:49 am
You can also make your own pizza crust, but that is likely too much work.

I have just not had that much luck with things like that. A friend assures me I could make my own pasta and ravioli. I know my limitations and homemade pasta is at the top of that list ... :oops:. Sad to say, it usually becomes an ingredients-wasted inedible mess. Probably making my own pizza dough would be in that category - I am not good with yeast!
For many years DW has made pizza dough, with yeast, in our bread machine. It's not no work, but not hard. It does take a couple of hours but it's the machine doing the work. We are perfectly happy with the results using the cheapest AP flour. We have tried some different pizza flours to get a bit more artisanal which are also good. DS gave me an outdoor pizza oven for Father's Day, gas/wood fired, which I use on nice days and is great for a Neapolitan take with just crust/sauce/cheese/fresh basil.
Retired 12/31/2015
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

I like DeGiorno and Freschetta. Both available in your supermarket freezer.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
nabakovfan1

Post by nabakovfan1 »

California Pizza Kitchen pizza
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

They are not quite up to a freshly baked pizza, but close enough and good in my opinion:

Freschetta Brick Oven Pizza - Pepperoni or Three Meat varieties (the square one, the round ones are a step down in my opinion)

Red Baron Classic Crust Supreme
bradinsky

Post by bradinsky »

cheese_breath wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:32 pm I like DeGiorno and Freschetta. Both available in your supermarket freezer.
+1
Spring garden

Post by Spring garden »

We strongly prefer the grocery store refrigerated as compared to frozen pizzas. Specifically we like the Aldi Supreme which we then put fresh cut tomatoes on.
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

PeninsulaPerson wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:56 am I saw the Red Barron's pizzas yesterday and almost took a chance on buying one to try it out! They looked good!
They're decent, and it's handy to have pizza in the freezer. I just grabbed 4 for $15 total (or something ridiculously low like that) the other day.

I'll still pay $35 for our fave specialty pizza from the local place. It's amazingly delicious, and the sheer amount of toppings they load it with I have never seen anywhere else do ever.
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

Target’s Good and Gather brand thin crust pizza isn’t bad. I think that it is one of the better frozen options out there. They have a few varieties. We usually get a BBQ chicken one and a multi-meat one.

That said, for the price that some frozen pizzas are now going for (including the Target ones if they aren’t on sale), I prefer to just pay a few dollars more and get a freshly made one. Seems like a better value to me.
Most experiences are better imagined.
MishkaWorries

Post by MishkaWorries »

We're not pizza buffs so we always keep a few frozen pizzas in the freezer for a quick dinner.

We like Screaming Sicilian since they are pretty generous with the toppings. If you have Kroger, try their Private Selection brand pizzas. We like the goat cheese, mushroom and truffle oil and eggplant pizzas. Their pepperoni and jalapeno is good too.
We plan. G-d laughs.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Signature Select from Safeway/Albertsons/etc., to us, is the winner.
safari

Post by safari »

We tried many frozen pizza brands, but keep going back to Amy's. It has the best crust for our taste.
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

Many people rave about the Detroit-style Motor City pizza at Costco. About 20 grams of fat per slice! We didn't like it much but you might.

BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Try "take and bake" pizza, where the pizza is made but not baked, you bake it in your own oven at home. It's definitely a lot better than frozen and not significantly more work. You can find this in grocery stores, there's even a chain that specializes this whose name I forget.
mnsportsgeek

Post by mnsportsgeek »

If I want frozen pizza, I just go to Little Caesars. Same price and better.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

MishkaWorries wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:04 pm We're not pizza buffs so we always keep a few frozen pizzas in the freezer for a quick dinner.

We like Screaming Sicilian since they are pretty generous with the toppings. If you have Kroger, try their Private Selection brand pizzas. We like the goat cheese, mushroom and truffle oil and eggplant pizzas. Their pepperoni and jalapeno is good too.
My niece's husband is a chef. He claims that most truffle oil has never been in the same room with a real truffle. Apparently there are a few real truffle oils but very expensive.
mjg

Post by mjg »

climber2020 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:51 am Home Run Inn. Walmart and Publix both sell them.
+1 Home Run Inn pizza is very good for a frozen pizza. We like the pepperoni or the pepperoni + sausage or the meat lovers versions. At their website you can find out where it's carried local to you.

The previously mentioned Motor City Pizza from Costco is also good.
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

02nz wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:36 pm Try "take and bake" pizza, where the pizza is made but not baked, you bake it in your own oven at home. It's definitely a lot better than frozen and not significantly more work. You can find this in grocery stores, there's even a chain that specializes this whose name I forget.
Papa Murphy’s, perhaps?
Most experiences are better imagined.
SurferLife

Post by SurferLife »

We buy the Freshsetta gluten free pepperoni pizzas and then put our own toppings on them. It’s not great, but very good. As for gluten free frozen pizza, I would say it’s the best available. I think you can really improve any grocery store frozen pizza by adding your own toppings.
SurferLife

Post by SurferLife »

jebmke wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:48 am Not for today but if you have a grill, they work well for pizza. I haven't done a pizza in the oven in many years. Always on the grill. We make our own dough but a pre-made dough should work also.
Do you use a pizza stone or do you just put it directly on the rack?
dmon

Post by dmon »

jaqenhghar wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:50 am I recently tried Red Barron's supreme and meat trio pizzas. Was very pleasantly surprised.
I second the recommendation for Red Barron, especially the Classic Crust which recently won Consumer Reports Editor's Choice award for best frozen pizza. And it is pretty inexpensive too.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

SurferLife wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:14 pm
Do you use a pizza stone or do you just put it directly on the rack?
I use a stainless still grill pan (has holes) but I'm considering getting a flat cast iron pan that I can use for this or other things. The cast iron will hold the heat well and residue can simply be burned off.

I think a decent crust with adequate gluten could go right on the grates but I've never tried it.

It took a little experimentation, and a couple of malformed poor performances on my part to get the timing down but it isn't that tricky - with a hot grill, it goes fast with a very thin crust which is our preference.
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

What is the thing I've several times seen ads for on TV that costs about $120 and is supposed to make "perfect" pizza?
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Topic Author
PeninsulaPerson

livesoft wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:47 am
I worked in a pizza place and we would sell uncooked pizzas in our pans to customers. They would cook at home and bring the pans back.

Of course, it is helpful if you have a pizza stone to toast the bottom of the crust after baking.

I will ask around about that.

Don't have a pizza stone but would be happy to buy one.

Thank you!
Topic Author
PeninsulaPerson

Marylander1 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:50 am
If available in your area Pinsa are much better than most pizza restaurants. https://www.pinsa.love/

Those look amazing!

And they are apparently in a store a few towns over!

Thank you!
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

I really love the Trader Joe's pizzas.

My current favorite is Tarte D'Alsace, a french style flat bread with crème fraiche, ham, caramelized onions & Swiss-style gruyere cheese. I add artichoke hearts and fold it in half to eat it.

In the past, I babied a sourdough starter and made an absolutely delicious sourdough pizza crust for a home-baked pizza.
Topic Author
PeninsulaPerson

rob wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:04 pm
I know no help to OP but this is the answer.... Tried this some years ago just for a joke (didn't know it was real) and it worked incredibly well. We do it all the time in summer now.

I have often heard from people who have grills that grilled pizza is great!

Lucky you!
Topic Author
PeninsulaPerson

nodding wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:13 pm
I tried a lot of frozen pizzas in 2020 during the peak covid lockdown times. The one I liked the best was Red Baron's Brick Oven Cheese-Trio.

Another vote for Red Barron.

I will see - the photos on their boxes were excellent! Very evocative & delicious-looking!

Thank you!
rich126

Post by rich126 »

People have a lot of different ideas about great pizza. For me it is crust, sauce and then cheese. Some sauces are sweet, some spicy.

At times we make our own pizza and while we can't shape it like pizza places do, it often comes out well.

I've found reheating pizza in an air fryer works best for me.

Of the "name" store pizzas I preferred DiGiorno. I think it was the sauce. Red Baron wasn't my thing.

Right now we have a small pizza place we can walk to and has pretty good pizza.

A pizza stone certainly helps. Sometimes it is best to precook the crust before adding the toppings.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
Topic Author
PeninsulaPerson

Beensabu wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:44 pm
I'll still pay $35 for our fave specialty pizza from the local place. It's amazingly delicious, and the sheer amount of toppings they load it with I have never seen anywhere else do ever.

So would we! We just have to find a new local place. There is A LOT of pizza around here - and sad to say - a lot is very mediocre. The place we used to go was, like, Pizza Heaven. Just that excellent! Their crust on its own was so good! And their oven was a hulking work of art.

Great pizza is worth every dollar ... and every calorie too!
(Mediocre pizza - not so much!)
Topic Author
PeninsulaPerson

snackdog wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:31 pm
Many people rave about the Detroit-style Motor City pizza at Costco. About 20 grams of fat per slice! We didn't like it much but you might.

That one is new to me. I am usually not a fan of Detroit-style pizza but I'll give it a try if I can get it easily at Costco.

Thank you!
Topic Author
PeninsulaPerson

SurferLife wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:10 pm
I think you can really improve any grocery store frozen pizza by adding your own toppings.

That is a good idea - thank you and the others who also suggested adding one's own toppings.
Topic Author
PeninsulaPerson

dmon wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:15 pm
jaqenhghar wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:50 am I recently tried Red Barron's supreme and meat trio pizzas. Was very pleasantly surprised.
I second the recommendation for Red Barron, especially the Classic Crust which recently won Consumer Reports Editor's Choice award for best frozen pizza. And it is pretty inexpensive too.

Gotta' try Red Barron first, I think!