Elderly family member still has AOL email

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
WillyMcG

Elderly family member still has AOL email

Post by WillyMcG »

I have an elderly family member still using an AOL account. I can’t get a straight answer as to whether they are still paying for access to it and they may not even know. Is AOL still charging folks to use email? I’d have to think the AOL of old as an online community is all but gone?
cheese_breath

Re: Elderly family member still has AOL email

Post by cheese_breath »

My daughter and SIL still use AOL, and I think it's free. He's very financially aware, and I can't imagine him keeping it if it wasn't.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

I have access to my mom’s long-time AOL email account. I paid the bills so I know her account was free.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Does it come with the unmistakable AOL sounds?

https://youtu.be/QUj_KHbJDlI?si=CpEGievHhJPrS61y
Geologist

Post by Geologist »

You can establish a new AOL email address now and it is free.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

My brother still uses his - mainly as a spam bait. I use an old Yahoo address for the same purpose.

We are both over 70 so I guess we could be called "elderly" -- not sure what the cutoff is exactly.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
samsoes

Post by samsoes »

jebmke wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:37 am My brother still uses his - mainly as a spam bait. I use an old Yahoo address for the same purpose.

We are both over 70 so I guess we could be called "elderly" -- not sure what the cutoff is exactly.
You're there. I'm 60 and am there also.
(That's Connecticut's age for membership in the elderly protected class!)
Last edited by samsoes on Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)
dcabler

Post by dcabler »

Former boss still has an AOL email address.

But who am I to talk, my own email domain is hotmail....

Cheers.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

dcabler wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:46 am Former boss still has an AOL email address.

Cheers.
quite a few people still use Verizon email addresses and I thought VZ offloaded this domain years ago.
PeninsulaPerson

Post by PeninsulaPerson »

WillyMcG wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:06 am
I have an elderly family member still using an AOL account. I can’t get a straight answer as to whether they are still paying for access to it and they may not even know. Is AOL still charging folks to use email? I’d have to think the AOL of old as an online community is all but gone?

Has your family member asked for your help?

Is that why you're looking for a "straight answer"? If not, why do you care?

Do they seem to have cognitive issues ... or just don't want you in their business? Could be either and the details matter.

Maybe they are accustomed to AOL and don't want to learn a new email system .... or lose old emails. Maybe AOL is just easier. (I hate Gmail's interface. I have an account there but only as a backup. Don't use AOL myself but I do use a similar email service. Can't see why anyone else would care at all what email someone else uses. But maybe that's a benefit of being older - doing what works for oneself?)

How old is your relative? Adjectives like "elderly" are ambiguous. Is this person 60, or 95? Not that it makes a big difference in this specific situation but specificity will help get you more useful responses.
Last edited by PeninsulaPerson on Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
PeninsulaPerson

jebmke wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:37 am

( As an aside ... Increasingly it's best to refer to people by their number age.

Some 90-year-olds are the same as they ever were .... and some 30-year-olds think anyone over 60 is "elderly" ... :beer. )
prd1982

Post by prd1982 »

Can’t we refer to these as “heritage” accounts? I have an SNET one with no plans to give it up. CT a folks will recognize this name.
WillRetire

Post by WillRetire »

OP: Do check if they are still paying. Hopefully not, but I think AOL does still have a fee-based service, app or no app.

AOL's browser-based mail service has been around for 15-20 years, a fact which some users from the 1990s (and many who never even had AOL!) do not know.

The spam is horrendous. I suspect this could be because AOL leaves the email address in cookies or somewhere for other web sites to view.

Unrelated trivia, AOL is now part of the same company as Yahoo, IIRC

ETA: Bashing AOL users is a ton of fun! But remember, karma is a witch! I mean, who even uses email any more?! Text, text, text!
Last edited by WillRetire on Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

PeninsulaPerson wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:58 am

( As an aside ... Increasingly it's best to refer to people by their number age.

Some 90-year-olds are the same as they ever were .... and some 30-year-olds think anyone over 60 is "elderly" ... :beer. )
I never ask people how old they are so that makes it difficult.

I live in a rural area. There are a lot of folks who are in their 50s (I know because I do their tax returns at TaxAide) who look 10-20 years older because of the wear and tear of rural life as well as lifestyle choices they made.
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

"quite a few people still use Verizon email addresses and I thought VZ offloaded this domain years ago."

I'm one of them. Even though I have moved to a location with no Fios service, I still have my verizon.net mail. We were given a chance to keep our email years ago when they quit the email business and dumped us on AOL and I believe there was a short window to opt in.

From 2/2023

https://positek.net/verizon-aol-email-a ... 20services.

"Your Verizon email account was merged into AOL several years back, and subsequently all moved/sold off to Yahoo in 2021. So Yahoo now runs the Verizon.net, aol.com and yahoo.com email services, as well as other domain names. You can find a complete list of domains that Yahoo controls here.

Oh, and AOL stopped charging for email years ago, but left any paying customers in the dark. Some are still paying, even though they get nothing extra for that. Nobody should be paying AOL a dime for email services."
PeninsulaPerson

jebmke wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:02 am
PeninsulaPerson wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:58 am

I never ask people how old they are so that makes it difficult.

I live in a rural area. There are a lot of folks who are in their 50s (I know because I do their tax returns at TaxAide) who look 10-20 years older because of the wear and tear of rural life as well as lifestyle choices they made.

I just meant that - for example - you say you're in your 70s and you caught the word "elderly" in the OP's post.

If age or medical issues are germane to the OP's question, better to provide that information instead of using an ambiguous adjective that could also cover the fact that the OP doesn't use AOL themselves. People seem to use all kinds of email services. If it works for them, good. But maybe the OP's relative has an issue. That would be different.
Rebels38

Post by Rebels38 »

I had a grandfather who was in his mid 90s and still living at home independently. When my dad needed to move him into an assisted living center he went through all his financial stuff and it was all pretty orderly for his age but he had noticed he was still faithfully paying his AOL statement. Problem was he had stopped using or even owning a computer two or three years prior.

Might be worth making sure.
88Mike

Post by 88Mike »

I still have an AOL account and just use it for scambait type stuff and sign-ups like for this site. It's free and works as needed.
Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 »

I have two AOL addresses and both are free. It's web base now, just like Yahoo mail because it is Yahoo mail.
It is by the goodness of God that in our country we have those three unspeakably precious things: freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, and the prudence never to practice either of them. --M. Twain
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

www.theverge.com/2021/5/3/22416854/aol- ... el-verizon

5/2021

"Verizon has sold its AOL and Yahoo properties to Apollo Global Management in a deal said to be worth $5 billion, about half of the nearly $9 billion Verizon originally paid for the pair. Verizon will maintain a 10 percent stake in the company, now known as Yahoo and led by CEO Guru Gowrappan. The deal, which includes Verizon’s ad tech business, was heavily rumored over the last week and is still subject to closing conditions. Once complete, it’ll bring an end to Verizon’s troubled experiment with media production and advertising.

Apollo is a private equity firm that owns the Venetian resort in Las Vegas and crafts retailer Michaels. Apollo co-founder Leon Black recently stepped down as Chairman, soon after it was revealed that he paid more than $150 million to Jeffrey Epstein. Yes, that Jeffrey Epstein."
Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 »

Which reminds me, I have Cox internet and they're offloading their email to Yahoo in the next few months.
It is by the goodness of God that in our country we have those three unspeakably precious things: freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, and the prudence never to practice either of them. --M. Twain
Lou Sevens

Post by Lou Sevens »

I have used it for ~ 30 years .
I year or two ago I had someone help me with my resume and they said not to use a aol address, but I thought that was a bit overboard, great resume writer though.
Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi »

Now I am curious. Would my old AOL email still be active, and wonder how to access it??
cadzan

Post by cadzan »

To prevent the AOL account deactivated due to inactivity, you need to log in to your AOL email account every few months.

Does AOL Mail delete inactive accounts?

What Happens to AOL Mail After 180 Inactive Days. If you don't log in for an additional 90 days (a total of 180 days), your account is deleted. You might not be able to reclaim the email address. In addition, your emails, photos, and other email attachments are deleted.
clip651

Post by clip651 »

Lou Sevens wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:07 pm I have used it for ~ 30 years .
I year or two ago I had someone help me with my resume and they said not to use a aol address, but I thought that was a bit overboard, great resume writer though.
Depends on who's hiring. One of my supervisors uses an AOL email address. But I sure don't work for a FAANG company!
snic

Post by snic »

Now, if it were a @prodigy.net email address, I'd be really impressed.
beyou

Post by beyou »

dcabler wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:46 am Former boss still has an AOL email address.

Cheers.
Sam here, and I like the microsoft web mail client much more than gmail. One of the few things Microsoft does better ;-)
popoki

Post by popoki »

I've had an AOL email account since floppy disk days. Very rarely do I get spam. Maybe it makes me look old, but that's OK because I am.

I haven't paid AOL anything since I dropped their dial-up service around 1998.
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

prd1982 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:00 am Can’t we refer to these as “heritage” accounts? I have an SNET one with no plans to give it up. CT a folks will recognize this name.
And I have an SBCGLOBAL on which succeeded SNET if I recall correctly.