Window Unit A/C Compressor won't shut off. AGAIN.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
neurosphere

Window Unit A/C Compressor won't shut off. AGAIN.

Post by neurosphere »

I'm a renter with two A/C through-the-wall units. About 10 years ago, both units failed within a year and were replaced. Last week, the second unit failed (10 years old). The problems were similar each time.

Here's what's happening. The compressor is always on/running unless the unit is unplugged. So when the power is on and the A/C setting is operating, it's always blowing cold air. If we switch to the heat setting, fan setting, or even turn the unit OFF, the compressor still runs. It's only when we unplug the unit that the compressor stops (of course).

We are loath to call the landlord again about this same issue. I can't think of anything we are DOING to cause this.

From my reading, it sounds as if a relay-type switch could be stuck?

Wondering if by any chance anyone has any experience/advice regarding an easy DIY solution. It's an 8000 BTU Arctic King unit manufactured in 2013. Model MWW-08ERN1-BI4

Our lease is up in a couple of months and we don't yet know the new rent. I'd rather not ask for another new $500 or whatever A/C unit. That said, we've otherwise been stellar renters. :D
If you have to ask "Is a Target Date fund right for me?", the answer is "Yes" (even in taxable accounts).
gotoparks

Re: Window Unit A/C Compressor won't shut off. AGAIN.

Post by gotoparks »

I once rented a house for a couple of years. The heat pump was causing the electric bills to be real high. I asked the owner what a normal bill was supposed to be. I told her what mine were and she called the owner of the company who installed the heat pump. She told me it was fairly new. It required lots of work to fix probably under warranty. If it were me I would bring it to the landlords attention.
talzara

Post by talzara »

neurosphere wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:50 am From my reading, it sounds as if a relay-type switch could be stuck?

Wondering if by any chance anyone has any experience/advice regarding an easy DIY solution. It's an 8000 BTU Arctic King unit manufactured in 2013. Model MWW-08ERN1-BI4
Relays on consumer appliances are usually soldered to the circuit board. They are not designed to be serviced.

The manufacturer-approved repair is to replace the entire circuit board. However, it'll be difficult to find a circuit board for a 2013 through-the-wall air conditioner.

I have replaced relays on appliance circuit boards, but that kind of DIY repair can only be done if you know how to solder. It is not an "easy DIY solution."
Topic Author
neurosphere

Post by neurosphere »

talzara wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:12 pm
neurosphere wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:50 am From my reading, it sounds as if a relay-type switch could be stuck?

Relays on consumer appliances are usually soldered to the circuit board. They are not designed to be serviced.

The manufacturer-approved repair is to replace the entire circuit board. However, it'll be difficult to find a circuit board for a 2013 through-the-wall air conditioner.

I have replaced relays on appliance circuit boards, but that kind of DIY repair can only be done if you know how to solder. It is not an "easy DIY solution."
Hi talzara. I do have a soldering gun, and my undergrad degree is in electrical engineering. :D BUT I suspect the time and effort I might take to figure out exactly what to do (assuming I can even find a replacement circuit board) is not worth it. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience.

I'm tempted to simply buy a new A/C unit and not tell the landlord. On the other hand, we've been here 10 years and the entire total cost of repairs/replacements during that time have been about $2000. So **I** think we are a "good deal" and maybe the landlords won't care so much about another $500 expense. Hmm.

Btw, talraza, I've have been meaning to write a new post related to MeF files, with which it seems you are the most familiar poster here on BH! I'm curious to know exactly what data gets transmitted when I e-file a 1040 form. E.g. if I get a 1099 and enter it into the software (taxact in this case)....what if the EIN is accurate but the address is not correct. For example, for the same EIN Vanguard changed the address that appears on the form. Does the IRS receive the address I input in my software? Or simply the EIN? Anyway, a discussion for another post I think. :D
If you have to ask "Is a Target Date fund right for me?", the answer is "Yes" (even in taxable accounts).
Makefile

Post by Makefile »

neurosphere wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:51 pm Btw, talraza, I've have been meaning to write a new post related to MeF files, with which it seems you are the most familiar poster here on BH! I'm curious to know exactly what data gets transmitted when I e-file a 1040 form. E.g. if I get a 1099 and enter it into the software (taxact in this case)....what if the EIN is accurate but the address is not correct. For example, for the same EIN Vanguard changed the address that appears on the form. Does the IRS receive the address I input in my software? Or simply the EIN? Anyway, a discussion for another post I think. :D
Are you talking about a 1099-R? I don't believe any other kinds of 1099s get transmitted.
4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee »

neurosphere wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:50 am I'm a renter with two A/C through-the-wall units. About 10 years ago, both units failed within a year and were replaced. Last week, the second unit failed (10 years old). The problems were similar each time.

Here's what's happening. The compressor is always on/running unless the unit is unplugged. So when the power is on and the A/C setting is operating, it's always blowing cold air. If we switch to the heat setting, fan setting, or even turn the unit OFF, the compressor still runs. It's only when we unplug the unit that the compressor stops (of course).

We are loath to call the landlord again about this same issue. I can't think of anything we are DOING to cause this.

Our lease is up in a couple of months and we don't yet know the new rent. I'd rather not ask for another new $500 or whatever A/C unit. That said, we've otherwise been stellar renters. :D

This reads as a problem to have the landlord handle.
Pale Blue Dot
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

4nursebee wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:12 am
neurosphere wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:50 am I'm a renter with two A/C through-the-wall units. About 10 years ago, both units failed within a year and were replaced. Last week, the second unit failed (10 years old). The problems were similar each time.

This reads as a problem to have the landlord handle.
When we owned rental property, the lease specifically required our permission for the tenant to initiate repairs. So going it alone would have voided the lease.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Makefile wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:00 am
neurosphere wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:51 pm Btw, talraza, I've have been meaning to write a new post related to MeF files, with which it seems you are the most familiar poster here on BH! I'm curious to know exactly what data gets transmitted when I e-file a 1040 form. E.g. if I get a 1099 and enter it into the software (taxact in this case)....what if the EIN is accurate but the address is not correct. For example, for the same EIN Vanguard changed the address that appears on the form. Does the IRS receive the address I input in my software? Or simply the EIN? Anyway, a discussion for another post I think. :D
Are you talking about a 1099-R? I don't believe any other kinds of 1099s get transmitted.
I’ve done hundreds of returns over the years and never enter EIN or address for Divs and Ints. Rs, Misc, NEC and some other minor ones I do.

In fact, for our personal Divs I don’t even put in the institution name. I use:

JEBMKE Brok
Joint Brok
Mrs JEB Brok
etc.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

8,000 BTU Thru-The-Wall ; SKU: MWW-08ERN1-BI4 ; Product Overview. This Arctic King air conditioner has a SEER rating of 9.4, and comes loaded with an eco friendly ...
$377.00 · ‎ In stock

https://starairkontrol.com/product/8000 ... 8ern1-bi4/

It could be an easy fix if the landlord has a guy, but a new unit is cheap.

Ten years on tiny window/TTWall AC is a lifetime. I don't know if Arctic King is low high or medium quality.
Topic Author
neurosphere

Post by neurosphere »

Thanks for all the A/C insights everyone! I think we'll just let the landlord know the A/C is busted and they'll replace it. We're on great terms with the landlord. They own one unit in a condo they rent to us. They are in their 80s and live across the street, we meet for dinner twice a year, we occasionally spend the day with them at their vacation house, etc. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some easy/obvious solution.
ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf »

As a landlord, I would have considered 10 years on an AC to be normal wear and tear.
Topic Author
neurosphere

Post by neurosphere »

ralph124cf wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:30 pm As a landlord, I would have considered 10 years on an AC to be normal wear and tear.
I guess it's strange that this is the THIRD unit to fail within 10 years. We moved in 11 years ago, two units in the apartment.

The bedroom unit failed a year after moving it. I don't know how old it was but the landlord's had only bought the place 2 years before we moved it. It was replaced. The replacement has now failed. The living room unit failed 6 years after moving in.

With each of the previous two failures, our landlord asked "are you using it correctly?" "Did you read the instructions?" "Are you cleaning the filters?" "Are you SURE you are cleaning the filters?!?" :D
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

jebmke wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:30 am
Makefile wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:00 am
I’ve done hundreds of returns over the years and never enter EIN or address for Divs and Ints. Rs, Misc, NEC and some other minor ones I do.

In fact, for our personal Divs I don’t even put in the institution name. I use:

JEBMKE Brok
Joint Brok
Mrs JEB Brok
etc.
The new thread is here: What data gets transmitted to the IRS when I e-file (Modernized e-File "MeF")

Please continue the 1099 discussion in that thread.

(Thanks to the member who reported the post and explained what's wrong.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
talzara

Post by talzara »

neurosphere wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:51 pm Hi talzara. I do have a soldering gun, and my undergrad degree is in electrical engineering. :D BUT I suspect the time and effort I might take to figure out exactly what to do (assuming I can even find a replacement circuit board) is not worth it. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience.
If you have a degree in electrical engineering, then it's possible to replace the relays. Midea circuit boards are clearly laid out, and the relays are easy to find. You may not be able to buy the same relay since it's probably from a Chinese electronics company that doesn't have a US distributor, but you don't need the same relay. You just need another relay with the same specs.

The hard part is making sure that the relays are actually causing the problem. You also have to do it without a schematic or a wiring diagram.
neurosphere wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:51 pm I'm tempted to simply buy a new A/C unit and not tell the landlord. On the other hand, we've been here 10 years and the entire total cost of repairs/replacements during that time have been about $2000. So **I** think we are a "good deal" and maybe the landlords won't care so much about another $500 expense. Hmm.
$2,000 in 10 years is only $200 a year. That is a very reasonable cost for maintaining a rental unit.
talzara

Post by talzara »

neurosphere wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:50 pm I guess it's strange that this is the THIRD unit to fail within 10 years. We moved in 11 years ago, two units in the apartment.

The bedroom unit failed a year after moving it. I don't know how old it was but the landlord's had only bought the place 2 years before we moved it. It was replaced. The replacement has now failed. The living room unit failed 6 years after moving in.

With each of the previous two failures, our landlord asked "are you using it correctly?" "Did you read the instructions?" "Are you cleaning the filters?" "Are you SURE you are cleaning the filters?!?" :D
I would install a receptacle with surge suppression. $20 is cheap insurance for a $400 air conditioner.
talzara

Post by talzara »

andypanda wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:21 am Ten years on tiny window/TTWall AC is a lifetime. I don't know if Arctic King is low high or medium quality.
Arctic King is a white label, like most brands of window, through-the-wall, and portable air conditioners.

MWW-08ERN1-BI4 is a Midea model number. Midea makes a lot of white label products.