Furniture - It's glued, right?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
sureshoe

Furniture - It's glued, right?

Post by sureshoe »

So I am replacing the furniture in the bedroom and got rid of the old stuff.

Now, feeling like a colossal grade idiot because the door to the room is a 90 degree angle and the new dresser can't make the turn. It's a $1500 dresser and I have nowhere to put it other than that room (and a bunch of other furniture in there that I am not interested in having mismatched). Returning isn't an option since they require the box it was shipped in and charge 25% and shipping.

It just didn't occur to me to check that turn since the old furniture went out relatively easy. Unfortunately, this new one is about 6 inches bigger and it just seems to be physically impossible. Going to try a little tilting and jamming today, but guessing it's hopeless.

I started looking at the various screws and joints, even trying to unscrew the back to see if dissassembly might be possible. I guessed/assumed they glue this stuff, but wasn't sure. It's glued right, and dissassembly is hopeless? I know you can't tell over an internet post for sure - but I'm looking for an indicator of yeah "most stuff above pricepoint is glued". I don't see breaking it all apart and taking out most of the visibile screwes, and nothing budged, so considering that confirmation, but throwing a last ditch salvo here.

And lastly, short of selling on ebay/etc. any other ideas to salvage some of the spend.
samsoes

Re: Furniture - It's glued, right?

Post by samsoes »

This is a bit messy, but how about removing the doorframe and/or drywall to give the extra couple of inches needed? Nothing that a trim carpenter can't patch up afterwards.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Pass through or hoist it through a window, if wide enough? With help of course, it's done everyday.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

sureshoe wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:00 am ... Going to try a little tilting and jamming today, but guessing it's hopeless...
If you haven't already done it and it's not too heavy, tilt the end going in first up to the ceiling as you enter the room.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

Sometimes taking the door off the hinges is enough. Try tipping it onto side or end so it is taller rather than longer. Sitting it on cardboard or small rug can make it easier to slide instead of carry. Are there feet which will screw off and take off all the hardware? Of course, sometimes things are bigger than the hole and the only solution is to make the hole bigger.
mrc

Post by mrc »

You're gonna need a bigger house!

Sorry. Take the door off its hinges, and get some help. It will fit, but solving that puzzle before you run out of gas moving the piece in three space without dinging it makes the problem 10x harder.
By the time you know enough to choose a good financial adviser, you don't need one. | bogleheads.org is my advisor: The ER is 0.0% and the advice always solid.
Watty

Post by Watty »

I would assume that you have tried tilting it up on end before your take it down the hallway. If it is not longer than the door is tall it may fit that way.

We have had to do that with some furniture to get it into a bedroom.
bradinsky

Post by bradinsky »

What are the dresser dimensions
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Watty wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:16 am I would assume that you have tried tilting it up on end before your take it down the hallway. If it is not longer than the door is tall it may fit that way.

This. My dresser was just a bit shorter than the doorway. I had to take the mirror off. All of the dresser drawers came out. Then tipped on its side.. i think a truck of some sort was used. The wall for the closet was 3 feet away from the door and block about 1/4 to 1/3 of the straight path to the room. Very tight fit, but nothing had to be taken apart.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Even antique furniture is often glued. Those were hide or fish glue often and were reversible. Modern glues are a different matter.

I'd take out a drawer, or look underneath and see if the manufacturer's name can be located and ask them.

https://www.buildingconservation.com/ar ... esives.htm
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
Teague

Post by Teague »

Very probably glued. As my old woodshop teacher taught us, the purpose of wood screws and fasteners is to hold the pieces in alignment until the glue dries.
Semper Augustus
whomever

Post by whomever »

Lot's of good suggestions. If there are visible screws, taking them out and applying judicious force will tell. If there is trim and so on it might come off easier.

In the just-before-you-give-it-away-for-free heroics department, an oscillating tool can make really thin, like 1/32 inch kerf cuts. That might let you get some protruding piece off. Then you get to figure out how to get it back together.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

Watty wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:16 am I would assume that you have tried tilting it up on end before your take it down the hallway. If it is not longer than the door is tall it may fit that way.

Even if it is longer than the door height, you can still put it through the door potentially by starting out horizontal and ending up on end inside the room.
SurferLife

Post by SurferLife »

Is removing the doors and drawers and then passing it through a window not possible? If it's a sliding window, sometimes you can remove both panes to double the opening.
9Iron

Post by 9Iron »

We had a Ninety degree turn into the bedroom. We removed all of the draws and stood the dresser upright onto a furniture dolly. Then rolled it towards the door and turned it and slowly went through the door while tilting the bottom up and lowering the top down. It took 3 people, but it went in.
mjg

Post by mjg »

Unless it's longer on the diagonal where you can't get it tipped up on the end, it will fit. Easiest if it's a tile or wood floor - tilt it up outside the room on a blanket and then you can slide it on the floor. Once you have it on it's side outside the door, you can pull it out from the bottom to get it in the door if it's taller than the door (I have 8' doors and 10' ceilings). If it's carpet, you probably need a furniture dolly to help move it / position it to outside the door.

And you'll likely need some help to do this - but remove all drawers to make it lighter to maneuver.
Topic Author
sureshoe

Post by sureshoe »

I really appreciate all the ideas. I am hopeful, some tilting twisting will get it through the door. We have thought about the window, and he would possibly disassembling the framing. That might actually be cheaper than selling the furniture at a deep loss.

There are two other large pieces we have to get in that are going to require some work. For example, the footboard is probably going to have to come in through a window too as I think about it. This particular dresser is 66 x 59 x 19, so it’s not going through a window. I went ahead and just pulled the trigger on hiring a moving company. It’s $170 an hour, so I’m hoping they can get it all done under $300. This thing is just so much heavier than I expected in my wife really can’t help with any of the tilting, and I don’t have moving blankets, so I’m not interested in putting holes in the wall that I have to fix.

I’m 99.9% sure it’s glued, so disassembly is not happening.

I’ll let you know how it turns out :-)
bradinsky

Post by bradinsky »

sureshoe wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:24 pm I really appreciate all the ideas. I am hopeful, some tilting twisting will get it through the door. We have thought about the window, and he would possibly disassembling the framing. That might actually be cheaper than selling the furniture at a deep loss.

There are two other large pieces we have to get in that are going to require some work. For example, the footboard is probably going to have to come in through a window too as I think about it. This particular dresser is 66 x 59 x 19, so it’s not going through a window. I went ahead and just pulled the trigger on hiring a moving company. It’s $170 an hour, so I’m hoping they can get it all done under $300. This thing is just so much heavier than I expected in my wife really can’t help with any of the tilting, and I don’t have moving blankets, so I’m not interested in putting holes in the wall that I have to fix.

I’m 99.9% sure it’s glued, so disassembly is not happening.

I’ll let you know how it turns out :-)
At typical doorway is 32” wide x 80”high. With the drawers removed, it should easily go through standing on end.
random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 »

It sounded like the issue wasn't so much the doorway as the 90 degree turn after going through the doorway. Perhaps the hallway after the door is less than 59" wide and the piece can't quite make the turn?
btenny

Post by btenny »

Is the dresser longer that 6 foot? Or deeper than 30 inches? I bet you can get the dresser into the room if you stand it on the end and slide it into the room. Put the end on a small piece of carpet to slide it and move it.
BabyRN

Post by BabyRN »

Checking in to see if you got it through the door. :happy Have total empathy since the doors in our house are narrow and you can't get into the house without some unpleasant stairs. Every new appliance is a challenge! It is amazing how movers can twist and turn to get pieces in.Good luck!
bradinsky

Post by bradinsky »

random_walker_77 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:09 pm It sounded like the issue wasn't so much the doorway as the 90 degree turn after going through the doorway. Perhaps the hallway after the door is less than 59" wide and the piece can't quite make the turn?
It’s 19” wide
Accubuilder

Post by Accubuilder »

I would cut a piece of cardboard 19x59 ( or add an inch to both sides to be safe), lay it down on the floor and see if it can be moved/slide through the doorway as it lays flat on the floor. If it goes in, then you can place it on its end on piece of carpet or furniture dolly. If it is tight, maybe removing door will help. Doing this will tell you if it’s doable, before you do the heavy lifting.
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

Just put it in the living room. It'll be curio shelving, easy access storage space, and a conversation piece. It's fine.
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

I've made a fair number of beds, dressers and cabinets over the years and the only screws I used were to fasten door hinges, drawer knobs/pulls and bed "ledgers" (which hold and support whatever the mattress/box spring sits on). Drawer rail systems use them as well. Sounds like the your piece is approx 5 ft wide, 5 ft high and 19" deep? Is it possible to draw a rough sketch showing the room dimensions and as well as the adjoining doorways, hallways, passageways, etc, and post it here?
Topic Author
sureshoe

Post by sureshoe »

pshonore wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:30 am I've made a fair number of beds, dressers and cabinets over the years and the only screws I used were to fasten door hinges, drawer knobs/pulls and bed "ledgers" (which hold and support whatever the mattress/box spring sits on). Drawer rail systems use them as well. Sounds like the your piece is approx 5 ft wide, 5 ft high and 19" deep? Is it possible to draw a rough sketch showing the room dimensions and as well as the adjoining doorways, hallways, passageways, etc, and post it here?
Well, the movers couldn't get it in. I was not shocked. Only option now is to sell it or come up with something very creative... and I'm not sure what that is other than disassembly.

For anyone seeking a puzzle - here's the actual setup and mostly "to scale" drawing.
AllMostThere

Post by AllMostThere »

Pivot, pivot, pivot, PIVOT!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njgfomF51fg
It is not about how much you make; it is about how much you keep and how well you invest it. - Author Unknown | Dream as if you’ll live forever. Live as if you’ll die today. - Author James Dean
Point

Post by Point »

The remove the door, doorframe, and drywall idea isn’t necessarily bad— it may be the first step in making the room better walker and wheelchair accessible.
mjg

Post by mjg »

sureshoe wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:31 pm
pshonore wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:30 am I've made a fair number of beds, dressers and cabinets over the years and the only screws I used were to fasten door hinges, drawer knobs/pulls and bed "ledgers" (which hold and support whatever the mattress/box spring sits on). Drawer rail systems use them as well. Sounds like the your piece is approx 5 ft wide, 5 ft high and 19" deep? Is it possible to draw a rough sketch showing the room dimensions and as well as the adjoining doorways, hallways, passageways, etc, and post it here?
Well, the movers couldn't get it in. I was not shocked. Only option now is to sell it or come up with something very creative... and I'm not sure what that is other than disassembly.

For anyone seeking a puzzle - here's the actual setup and mostly "to scale" drawing.
I think you need better movers. From your drawing, it looks as if the dresser is about 60" wide, and you said earlier it is 19" deep. This needs to be tipped up on a side - ie so it's about 60" high.

It now can be positioned outside the door, and should be able to slid while it's standing tall on its side through the door. The door is likely 80" tall, and allowing for the wood stop at the top, probably 79" clear.

Are you sure standing it tall on a side it will not fit?
mjg

Post by mjg »

mjg wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:29 pm

I think you need better movers. From your drawing, it looks as if the dresser is about 60" wide, and you said earlier it is 19" deep. This needs to be tipped up on a side - ie so it's about 60" high.

It now can be positioned outside the door, and should be able to slid while it's standing tall on its side through the door. The door is likely 80" tall, and allowing for the wood stop at the top, probably 79" clear.

In fact, it really shouldn't need to be slid in. If it's 30" tall and 60" wide, it should be able to be tipped right outside the door as the max height as it's tipped will be a be a max height of 67" as it tips. Then simply twist it so it's orientated correctly, and untip it from the hallway into the room.

Provided they tried to move it in without tipping it on end, you need to call to speak to a manager at the movers - they should come back and get it in for no additional charge (and if the billed you more than the minimum charge they stated before starting, you should ask for that to be refunded.
Last edited by mjg on Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AgentOrange

Post by AgentOrange »

Seems you could stand the dresser on its end, either on a dolly, or slide it on carpet into the room. NO carpet? set it on a couple of blankets and pull the blankets while also pushing it to get it in the room.
You haven't given the dimensions of the dresser, at least with respect to which is length, width, depth.

My dad decided to add a door to the basement room, in order to help keep it warmer there in the winter. So he did a great job of casing the opening, and putting in the door. It looked and worked great.
When my dad died, and I had to get my parents house ready to sell, I was moving things out. When I went to remove the couch they had downstairs out of the house, it would not fit through the door! My dad, who normally thought of everything, had forgotten to think of that. Or maybe he knew he would never have to deal with it, so didn't care.
Despite my turning the couch every which way, there was no way it was going through the doorway. It was going into the garbage anyway, so I ended up cutting the couch in half with a sawsall. Problem solved! It's not only you who does these kinds of things! :happy
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

mjg wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:39 pm
mjg wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:29 pm

In fact, it really shouldn't need to be slid in. If it's 30" tall and 60" wide, it should be able to be tipped right outside the door as the max height as it's tipped will be a be a max height of 67" as it tips. Then simply twist it so it's orientated correctly, and untip it from the hallway into the room.

Provided they tried to move it in without tipping it on end, you need to call to speak to a manager at the movers - they should come back and get it in for no additional charge (and if the billed you more than the minimum charge they stated before starting, you should ask for that to be refunded.
He said 59" high - not 30". So tipping on end only chages the length by 7 inches.
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

Does the dresser have legs? If not, I don’t see why it can’t go in on its side and shimmed/scooted around the corners.

Alternatively, what is above the dresser’s intended location? Curious if you could cut a hole in the ceiling/floor and drop it in place that way. I kid, but only a little.
Most experiences are better imagined.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Random Poster wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:39 pm I don’t see why it can’t go in on its side and shimmed/scooted around the corners.
Because the height is nearly the same as the length so turning it on its side changes little
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

Set this thing so the 66" part is from floor to ceiling.
Then you have a 59" x 19" rectangle to get through there. Grab some cardboard and make a 59" x 19" rectangle, put it on the ground and start working it though that corner.
What is the thin rectangle at the far upper right of the drawing? Is that the door to the room? If so, pop up the hinge pins and then you can easily remove the door. That will give you another few inches.
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

SmileyFace wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:04 pm
Random Poster wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:39 pm I don’t see why it can’t go in on its side and shimmed/scooted around the corners.
Because the height is nearly the same as the length so turning it on its side changes little
59" vs 66" makes a BIG difference...
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Random Poster wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:39 pm Does the dresser have legs? If not, I don’t see why it can’t go in on its side and shimmed/scooted around the corners.

Alternatively, what is above the dresser’s intended location? Curious if you could cut a hole in the ceiling/floor and drop it in place that way. I kid, but only a little.
This.
bubbly

Post by bubbly »

Chop it in half. Slide through door. Glue back together :D
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

sureshoe wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:00 am So I am replacing the furniture in the bedroom and got rid of the old stuff.

Now, feeling like a colossal grade idiot because the door to the room is a 90 degree angle and the new dresser can't make the turn. It's a $1500 dresser and I have nowhere to put it other than that room (and a bunch of other furniture in there that I am not interested in having mismatched). Returning isn't an option since they require the box it was shipped in and charge 25% and shipping.

It just didn't occur to me to check that turn since the old furniture went out relatively easy. Unfortunately, this new one is about 6 inches bigger and it just seems to be physically impossible. Going to try a little tilting and jamming today, but guessing it's hopeless.

I started looking at the various screws and joints, even trying to unscrew the back to see if dissassembly might be possible. I guessed/assumed they glue this stuff, but wasn't sure. It's glued right, and dissassembly is hopeless? I know you can't tell over an internet post for sure - but I'm looking for an indicator of yeah "most stuff above pricepoint is glued". I don't see breaking it all apart and taking out most of the visibile screwes, and nothing budged, so considering that confirmation, but throwing a last ditch salvo here.

And lastly, short of selling on ebay/etc. any other ideas to salvage some of the spend.
Can’t you return the dresser?
bradinsky

Post by bradinsky »

Please don’t keep us in suspense. What did you end up doing?
mjg

Post by mjg »

Please post a picture of the “dresser” or provide width, height, and depth.
billaster

Post by billaster »

I'm assuming these movers are professionals. They do this stuff all day, every day, unlike all of the keyboard commandos here. They seen it all. I'm sure they tried all combinations of orientation. If they say it won't go, I'd believe them.
Sho

Post by Sho »

billaster wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:44 pm I'm assuming these movers are professionals. They do this stuff all day, every day, unlike all of the keyboard commandos here. They seen it all. I'm sure they tried all combinations of orientation. If they say it won't go, I'd believe them.
I like the term “ keyboard commandos “
Alfonsia

Post by Alfonsia »

billaster wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:44 pm I'm assuming these movers are professionals.
Moving employees are not really like that IME. Not the muscle. But at $170 an hour I want to know how much OP paid for the consult?
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Saving$ wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:08 pm
59" vs 66" makes a BIG difference...
Not when I look at OPs diagram (and it is a far cry from the 30" someone assumed).
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Someone else mentioned that the OP post some pictures of the dresser. Agree and show the dimensions of it using a tape measure. Also provide pictures of the opening(s) with all dimensions too.

It may clear up some of the issues.
marcus213

Post by marcus213 »

I had this very same issue a few months back. My wife found a really awesome restored "gentleman's dresser" for our guest room for $750 from a local furniture restorer, really just a brother and sister operation. They brought it over and the brother and I risked our lower backs getting it up our stairs (this thing was a real beast even with all of the drawers out, and its height made it particularly awkward to grip and maneuver), and once reaching the top I realized it was not going to be able to make 1) an S-turn of two 90-degree corners, nor 2) an almost identical 90-degree turn into the guest bedroom as the OP illustrated here in the diagram.

I suggested we just leave it at the top of the stairs for now so I could pay the guy and let him be on his way, and we'd figure out the maneuvering and handle it with friends or a neighbor later on. Ultimately we determined that it simply would not make the turns, at least not without ridiculous acrobatics, risk of damage to the walls and our backs, and then we might never get that thing back out of the guest bedroom again. So, we had to punt: hat in hand, we called up the brother and sister, explained our predicament and offered to sell it back to them less $100 just to make it an easy decision, and they ultimately insisted on just plain buying it back for the same price (!). A few weeks later they came back, the brother and I risked our backs again getting it back down the stairs and into his van, and we wrote them a glowing review on their website and have recommended them to others since. I was prepared to eat a lot more of the price if we'd had to sell it to someone else or if they wouldn't have taken it back; I considered it a lesson learned and just wanted it out of the house!

Here's one idea that might be useful to the OP and which helped us make the 'go' / 'no-go' call: I took some cardboard boxes that we had in the garage that were waiting recycling, cut them down to big flat pieces, then constructed the dimensions of the dresser to scale. That way I had a light and handle-able sort of outer frame that I could play with while testing out the S-turn and turn into the bedroom. We've actually used empty cardboard boxes in this way quite a bit since moving into our house as it's a great way to get a proper feel for how big something is going to be in a room, what does an 8'x5'x1.5' book case really feel like when it's in the room, seeing what a large painting on the wall would really feel like, etc. Anyway, mocking up the shape and size of the dresser might work in this case before you make a decision.
Topic Author
sureshoe

Post by sureshoe »

This is the problem.

In the above sketch, it's 59" x 19" lying on its side (66" H)
On its legs, it's 66" x 19" (59" H)
This is the puzzle.

Added the dresser to the sketch if anyone wants to stew more.

I'm playing around with angles this morning, but I'm 99% sure it's impossible without something being disassembled - there just isn't anything to disassemble and the windows are at best a 55" clearance. If I tilt it on one end, it gets longer, not shorter. Not sure why I thought the movers might have a bright idea, but I figured it was worth a shot.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

I was going to ask how tall the ceiling and doorway are - and also tell you to make sure you considered moving it at angles where no side/bottom/back was parallel with the floor (e.g. sometimes furniture will fit tilted at an angle)- but I don't think it much matters given the fact you only have one dimension that is shorter. I don't think you will make it. It's a very large piece (my parents had something similar but it was made to be disassembled into an upper portion and lower portion - probably made like that for the very reason/problem you have).

Also - suggest you update your original post (at the top) with the dimensions and issue with "Tipping it on it's end" otherwise you will continue to get replies saying "Why don't you just tip it on it's end".
Last edited by SmileyFace on Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel »

I'd be surprised if you can't fit it through the opening if you take all the drawers out and tip the dresser up on its end. Also, may have to take the door off, but its simple to just pop out the pins in the hinges.