2016 Subaru Forester Replacement Key Fob - Not Dealer?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
557880yvi

2016 Subaru Forester Replacement Key Fob - Not Dealer?

Post by 557880yvi »

We need a back-up key fob for our 2016 Subaru Forester. Has anyone reliably purchased and programmed (or purchased from a locksmith who programmed) a replacement? There are keys for purchase on sites like Amazon but the ratings are terrible. Our dealer wants nearly $500. There are places like www.key.me.com but it is a kiosk (what do you do if it doesn't work?) or https://www.carandtruckremotes.com and https://www.keylessentryremotefob.com/

Has anyone had good or bad luck with these or other sites/locations? There are some local locksmiths that claim to do this but the pricing is around $300. We did this a few years back and got a Honda key replacement at a mall but that vendor is no longer there (and used a Youtube video to reprogram, it worked fine but different car and much older than the 2016 Forester)

Thanks for any recommendations! (BTW saw a 2020 post about this but 4 yrs later and a newer model Subaru, there may be significant differences in the key fob or technology)
illumination

Re: 2016 Subaru Forester Replacement Key Fob - Not Dealer?

Post by illumination »

I have done a similar dance when I needed a key for my Lexus. What I found was the best way to do it if you want to save some money is find dealerships that sell factory parts online. Buy the right key online, and then take the sealed factory key to the dealership and have them program it. (make sure though they will do this, some won't) It's still expensive, but it's like $300 for everything instead of $500. Dealerships have huge markups on parts when you buy retail. It should be the cost of a key, plus 1 hour of labor to program.

Years ago, I also found a locksmith vendor on Ebay that had high reviews and was able to cut a factory key by the VIN and then the transponder part I took to a local locksmith that finished programmed it for like $100. I had a few made, so it was dramatically less expensive. It worked, but it's more running around than I care to do.

There's just no real "cheap" way to get additional car keys if you have a newer car.

I highly recommend getting an Apple AirTag fob for all your car keys.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

I believe I recently saw an advertisement that ACE hardware was starting to offer this service. They are reputable and easy to find. Maybe that is worth a look.
bad1bill

Post by bad1bill »

I did this for my Toyota Highlander and Subaru Forester (vintage 2007 and 2010) but I can't remember the service. I think might have ended up ordering them off eBay. Lots of YouTube videos. Pretty easy project and cheap...they were both cars with separate fob and key...Google is your friend
Topic Author
557880yvi

Post by 557880yvi »

retiredjg wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:05 am I believe I recently saw an advertisement that ACE hardware was starting to offer this service. They are reputable and easy to find. Maybe that is worth a look.
There's an ACE Hardware in the next town, I will call them, thanks!
Topic Author
557880yvi

Post by 557880yvi »

illumination wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:58 am
There's just no real "cheap" way to get additional car keys if you have a newer car.

I highly recommend getting an Apple AirTag fob for all your car keys.
Brilliant, wish we had thought of that sooner!
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

Is the Key Fob an actual key, or just a transmitter (i.e. push to start)? If the former, I've seen kiosks at Home Depot that claim they can make new keys with the chip inside, but I'm skeptical. If the latter, I'd assume you're out of luck. Safest bet would be to shop around at various dealers and see who will give you the best price. $500 sounds about right.
JimmyJoeMeeker

Post by JimmyJoeMeeker »

Locksmith who also happens to have an Ace Hardware store. Advertised they do key fobs. $195 including tax for a 5-button.

Appears that

1) you need the compatible key fob (for the Make/Model/Year). They had to order mine, not OEM, took 3 days.

2) then they have a computer that plugs into the car and a tablet device to do the process. For my car, they "added a key" so my first beat up fob also still works.
ScooterBob

Post by ScooterBob »

I had an old school keyfob "rebuilt" at a local locksmith last year. The lady re-soldered the innards, replaced the rubber button pad, and reprogrammed it to work with the car. $21.00 plus tax. The joys of owning an older (geriatric) car....

Bob
ItzaHoot

Post by ItzaHoot »

I used Ace Hardware. They can order the fob for you if not in stock and will progam it.
boricha

Post by boricha »

I ordered a new key fob/remote from carandtruckremotes.com and brought to a local locksmith who programmed it and cut the key. IIRC: OEM fob $68, programming remote $100, and cutting key $10. Dealer price would have been considerably more. This was for a different Japanese make of similar age.

I likely saved a couple hundred dollars going this route. Would readily buy from carandtruckremotes.com again, but would probably stick to OEM (not aftermarket) to ensure compatibility.
ReadyOne

Post by ReadyOne »

Did this with Kia and Nissan

Kia - no problem

Nissan - ugh

Find the place who will program it ahead of time and ask them what is possible. They may not be transparent as they make the most by selling the key and service.