What types of volunteering do you enjoy?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
A440

What types of volunteering do you enjoy?

Post by A440 »

I did a search for this, but did not find a post.
Especially for those in retirement/semi-retirement, could you post what volunteer opportunities you enjoy?
I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds my future.
Dmslax45

Re: What types of volunteering do you enjoy?

Post by Dmslax45 »

Not retired, but I coach and am on the board of my town’s youth lacrosse program. I grew up going through it so nice to give back. I’d imagine I’ll stay somewhat involved even after my kids go through it (if the parents don’t completely ruin it for me by then)
cs412a

Post by cs412a »

OP, you will have better luck with your search if you use the Google search in the top right corner.

For example, I found this thread, among others:

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewt ... p?t=373354

I volunteer at the local legal aid office, voter services of the League of Women Voters, and the Master Naturalist program run by the state university.
Dave5280

Post by Dave5280 »

Habitat for Humanity - working on building houses.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

cs412a wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:59 am OP, you will have better luck with your search if you use the Google search in the top right corner.

For example, I found this thread, among others:

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewt ... p?t=373354

I volunteer at the local legal aid office, voter services of the League of Women Voters, and the Master Naturalist program run by the state university.
You can also use native Google syntax to refine your search - in a Google search window:

volunteer site:bogleheads.org after:2021-12-31
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

Built 4 houses with Habitat for Humanity as a team lead before Covid shut our local HFH branch down, as it turns out permanently. each house took 7-8 months to build with mostly a small team -4-6 individuals.

It was a great experience, learned a lot, met some great folks. I recommend finding and volunteering for a local HFH build if there is a build going on near you, even one day a week is useful and fulfilling. No experience in building or the trades is necessary, there's always a job you can do one site, - we got all kinds - medical folks, lawyers, engineers, retail workers, accountants - etc.

Call the local HFH office or the ReStore they can direct you to local build supervisor or coordinator.
bluegill

Post by bluegill »

Master Gardener with many volunteer opportunities.
Amateur boxing official and coach.
Oil change ministry with church.
AARP tax preparation.
HFH
Audio-visual support for LearningQuest
Presenter for LearningQuest
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

This is a good site.

https://www.volunteermatch.org/
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 12 years 😀
Mysterious

Post by Mysterious »

We foster animals with the animal shelter.

The shelter pays all food and vet expenses. If you need to go out of town, the shelter takes the animals back.

The main goal in fostering the animals is to let them gain weight, recover, and have them get used to a home environment. We keep the animals about 9-12 weeks at a time.

It gives us an animal to cuddle and love but also still allows us our freedoms when needed.
montanagirl

Post by montanagirl »

I do tax prep for AARP Tax Aide. I also work part time at H&R Block and I can't say one is "better" than the other but AARP has better training on obscure state tax issues.

I suspect a lot of us are just trying to stay mentally alert but I'm afraid my eyes will fail before my mind does. Getting really hard to focus on those brokerage statements! :confused
happysteward

Post by happysteward »

Can’t do the physical stuff too much anymore but absolutely love teaching ESL to immigrants and refugees….much need
"How much money is enough?", John Rockefeller responded, "...just a little bit more."
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

Serve on the board of 2 retiree associations, volunteer work at church.
GeMoney

Post by GeMoney »

Food Pantry/Bank
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

happysteward wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:29 am Can’t do the physical stuff too much anymore but absolutely love teaching ESL to immigrants and refugees….much need
I currently spend about four hours a week, not counting prep time, doing this.

Volunteer ESOL (or "ESL" or "EFL" or "ELL"*) is a teacher's dream because the students are always motivated. (However there are often scheduling difficulties and last-minute cancellations, because students are often working long hours and get asked for overtime, and they often have kids and no babysitter...)

*Some academic-politics thing about the terminology. English for Speakers of Other Languages. English as a Second Language. English as a Foreign Language. English Language Learners.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
praxis

Post by praxis »

After college, I enlisted in the Peace Corps. Great experience in Guatemala. I learned Spanish and trained in agriculture, mostly with sheep. As of this year, there are PC volunteers in 47 countries. No upper age limit.

While my sons were in Scouts, I was an Asst. Boy Scout Troop Leader. They both attained their Eagle rank. I still believe Scouts teaches good skills.

I have been a non-medical hospice volunteer for over 20 years spending time in the homes of patients and their families. I originally took the training to get more familiar with the inevitable and it has helped me deal with personal loss in my family.

I've been our state's coordinator for Reel Recovery for 10 years. This organization hosts 3 day retreats for men dealing with cancer, teaching them about fly fishing and pairing them with experienced casters. We raise the money for their room and board and their "fishing buddies" are volunteers. The men share their cancer experiences with each other. Last year, there were 34 Reel Recovery retreats world-wide and served 314 men.

Recently, I have been a volunteer at our local soup kitchen. We serve breakfast, lunch and dinner for up to 300 people. No questions asked. I cook, prep, serve, clean up and wash dishes.

Most towns have offices that help direct volunteers to local organizations. If you think you might enjoy volunteering, maybe scan the lists on line.
Last edited by praxis on Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lws

Post by lws »

Teaching STEM subjects to K-12 students.
mjg

Post by mjg »

I just started with the VITA tax assistance program this year.
JediMisty

Post by JediMisty »

Upon retiring, I moved to the greater Atlanta metro area to volunteer at the Georgia Aquarium. Great airport nearby to help scratch my travel itch.
dlm2827

Post by dlm2827 »

Please consider joining a local service organization such as Kiwanis, Lions, Optimists, Rotary, or Sertoma. I am a member of Lions International, and Lions is the largest service organization in the world. We have a presence in over 200 countries and approximately 1.4 million members. Most people who have heard of Lions International know us for collecting used eyeglasses which are refurbished and then go to other countries to provide vision assistance for those in need. Our motto is "We Serve", and we have 8 global initiatives through which we carry out that motto: childhood cancer, diabetes, disaster relief, environment, humanitarian issues, hunger, vision, and youth. Each is a growing need throughout local communities, states, our nation, and the world.
Hebell

Post by Hebell »

Precinct captain - enjoyed it immensely. Lots of work. Appeals to anyone who's a statistician, because if you've got a sufficiently large population, you can run a variety of campaigns, and determine how your team's efforts changed the vote, or base of registered voters.

Condominium president for many years - had a lot of social benefits, but conducting building restoration projects was very draining. Because I am a retired engineer, it began to feel a bit like slave labor. Unlike other condo presidents, I never had trouble running meetings, getting things done with the board, or providing full transparency. It is tough when you know that your fiduciary responsibilities are going to induce hardship on people, because of previous boards failure to fund reserves.

Active member of interfaith organizations - attending City council meetings advocating for certain types of housing, changes to energy infrastructure, transport options etc. This is good for making new friends

Meetup groups - I run a bike club or a walking club, and a coffee club, wherever I live. I cross post on Facebook to reach more people. Now that I have more money, getting a bike club insurance policy now is on my to-do list.
hammockhiker

Post by hammockhiker »

A440 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:41 am I did a search for this, but did not find a post.
Especially for those in retirement/semi-retirement, could you post what volunteer opportunities you enjoy?
We (wife and I) have been 4-H volunteers for various things, including shotgun, BB gun and archery teams. In our rural area 4-H offers a huge variety of classes and teams and thus needs a large assortment of volunteer help. Other than that, I'm a member of several trail organizations including the Benton MacKaye Trail Association, the Foothills Trail Association and the Bartram Trail Association. All need volunteers from time to time for trail maintenance, and all offer group hikes and other events for fun.
Moderation in all things, including moderation.
fleetwdl

Post by fleetwdl »

Hospice, mostly serving veterans.
pahkcah

Post by pahkcah »

Along with others who have already responded, AARP Tax-Aide. It's now turned into a year-round activity for me.
Jeepergeo

Post by Jeepergeo »

I volunteer with the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, primarily to run or assist at fundraisers to help further the RMEFs mission of conservation and open access to elk habitat.

I also help cook dinner at our local Elks Lodge twice a month. We feed anywhere from 20 to 200...the 200 dinners was for a recent fundraiser and luckily we had 5 volunteers in the kitchen. We've done 120 dinners with just 3 volunteers and routinely do 40 dinners with just two of us. Each dinner requires 8-10 hours to prep, cook, serve, and clean up.

I'm also a volunteer on the board of trustees of two constitutional rights organizations.

Several months of the year the volunteer time merges and feels like full time work, so I'm careful about taking on anything new.
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

Following. Types of activities I think I’d enjoy are local, perhaps something at the local hospital?
“At some point you are trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend.“ | “How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?“
backpacker61

Post by backpacker61 »

I'm outdoor-oriented, so I like volunteering opportunities that revolve around that.

Trail work, state park or national park volunteering opportunities, trail foundations, etc.
“Now shall I walk or shall I ride? | 'Ride,' Pleasure said; | 'Walk,' Joy replied.” | | ― W.H. Davies
stan1

Post by stan1 »

pahkcah wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:58 am Along with others who have already responded, AARP Tax-Aide. It's now turned into a year-round activity for me.
This might interest me, how many hours per year do you volunteer? In person or online? Are the people you work with polite and thankful in general?
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

I used to volunteer as part of a wintertime search and rescue group until I eventually tired of the internal politics. I imagine, though, that politics rears its head in many volunteering activities. I'd be interested in hearing about volunteering activities which people have enjoyed and that have been politically light.
Last edited by halfnine on Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
GmanJeff

Post by GmanJeff »

I volunteer with my State Bar, and as a singer/guitarist at a local retirement community. If you join any civc, franternal. charitable, or public service organization, e.g., Freemasons, Rotary, Volunteer FD, animal shelter, etc. you'll have literally endless opportunities to support organizational activities in a wide variety of ways. Sometimes volunteers receive non-cash benefits in return for their time, as is the case with those who volunteer as Starters at my local area public golf courses - they get some amount (limited by taxation considerations) of free golf in return for their service.
Chv396

Post by Chv396 »

We volunteer part time at our local animal shelter, our church and the local food bank. We also help out a family who has a daughter who is mentally disabled.
“Stay the Course” - My Portfolio (BND, VT, VXUS), Spouse’s Portfolio (VEA, VGSH, VOO, VOT)
Serendipity

Post by Serendipity »

VITA tax prep and local food pantry.
bad1bill

Post by bad1bill »

Retired 2 years ago at 70+.

I volunteer at a local bike shop that provides bikes for underprivileged kids. I help repair donated bikes that are sold to fund new bikes, put together donated "fleet" bikes for PE classrooms, and tear down junk bikes for scrap (they will accept ANY donated bike), etc. It fulfills my desire to help others, learn about bike repair and do something mechanical which I enjoy.

I also volunteer at a local organization that provides hot meals for seniors (hand out and clean up). I'm in the process of getting certified by this organization to help seniors deal with technology since computers are another hobby and I saw first-hand how my wife's aunt struggled with phones, computers etc. before she passed away.

Seniors are taken advantage of by the financial services industry as well and are also left behind in the technology arena; these are intertwined increasingly. Makes me mad.....
student

Post by student »

mjg wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:17 pm I just started with the VITA tax assistance program this year.
pahkcah wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:58 am Along with others who have already responded, AARP Tax-Aide. It's now turned into a year-round activity for me.
Do they provide some sort of liability insurance? This is something that I maybe interested in doing.
CloseEnough

Post by CloseEnough »

happysteward wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:29 am Can’t do the physical stuff too much anymore but absolutely love teaching ESL to immigrants and refugees….much need
Is this teaching ESL a full time job, or part time? Wondering how many hours a week you do it (or can do it, if you don't want to work a lot of hours). And could you do it for a three month stretch, and then take three months off? Thanks for your thoughts and the volunteer work you do.
mjg

Post by mjg »

student wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:26 pm
mjg wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:17 pm I just started with the VITA tax assistance program this year.
Do they provide some sort of liability insurance? This is something that I maybe interested in doing.
From the VITA FAQ's:

Am I liable for the tax returns I prepare?
The Volunteer Protection Act of 1997 protects volunteers from liability for negligent acts they perform within the
scope of their responsibilities in the organization for which they volunteer. The Act excludes conduct that is
willful or criminal, grossly negligent, or reckless, or that constitutes a conscious, vagrant indifference to the
rights or safety of the individual potentially harmed by the volunteer. Basically, if volunteers are performing
their responsibilities under the Volunteer Standards of Conduct, they are protected.

Also, the taxpayer signs a form that (paraphrasing here) states the tax forms have been prepared based on the information provided by the taxpayer and that the taxpayer is stating the information is correct and the taxpayer is responsible for any incorrect information.

Finally, there is a "scope" document that governs what tax situations the volunteers can prepare which keeps the complexity of returns to a pretty straight forward situation where there is little "gray" / "subject to interpretation" type areas.
student

Post by student »

mjg wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:16 pm
From the VITA FAQ's:

The Volunteer Protection Act of 1997 protects volunteers from liability for negligent acts they perform within the
scope of their responsibilities in the organization for which they volunteer. The Act excludes conduct that is
willful or criminal, grossly negligent, or reckless, or that constitutes a conscious, vagrant indifference to the
rights or safety of the individual potentially harmed by the volunteer. Basically, if volunteers are performing
their responsibilities under the Volunteer Standards of Conduct, they are protected.

Also, the taxpayer signs a form that (paraphrasing here) states the tax forms have been prepared based on the information provided by the taxpayer and that the taxpayer is stating the information is correct and the taxpayer is responsible for any incorrect information.

Finally, there is a "scope" document that governs what tax situations the volunteers can prepare which keeps the complexity of returns to a pretty straight forward situation where there is little "gray" / "subject to interpretation" type areas.
Thanks for the info.
stoaX

Post by stoaX »

I volunteer as the secretary of a home owners association committee. The meetings and paperwork are just enough to remind me of my old job and why I am so happy to be retired.

I also help maintain a disc golf course.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

student wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:31 pm
mjg wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:16 pm
From the VITA FAQ's:

Thanks for the info.
I have been active with Vita/Taxaide since 2008. It is very rewarding, mentally challenging and I enjoy the other volunteers with whom I work. Most of them come from non financial backgrounds with no prior tax experience.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
cs412a

Post by cs412a »

fleetwdl wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:29 am Hospice, mostly serving veterans.
Can you say a little more about this?
Shackleton

Post by Shackleton »

I have volunteered for two different organizations that provide outdoor sports programs to the disabled (skiing, xc skiing, mountain biking, paddle boarding, water skiing, kayaking, horseback riding). Both were great experiences and I only stopped because we moved away.
“Superhuman effort isn't worth a damn unless it achieves results.” ~Ernest Shackleton
happysteward

Post by happysteward »

CloseEnough wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:31 pm
Is this teaching ESL a full time job, or part time? Wondering how many hours a week you do it (or can do it, if you don't want to work a lot of hours). And could you do it for a three month stretch, and then take three months off? Thanks for your thoughts and the volunteer work you do.
I was an engineer for my 40 year career so upon my retirement I wanted to do some let’s say brushing up on my English (grammar especially) since I hadn’t taken any for years and years. I found a certification (30 hour) on line and have done some other training. I teach a pretty low level, Level 1, mostly vocabulary and three or four basic tenses. Not too bad, the training helped me mostly to think about what putting a lesson plan together for low level English speakers looked like. It also encouraged me to go slow , allow them to make mistakes and practice, practice, practice….

It takes a bit more work than I expected to be honest, I spend 3 hours per week planning my 2 hour lesson. I only teach one lesson per week for basically the September to May school year ( personally I think a commitment for longer than three months would be best, depends on the program). We take students thru a 5 year program as they are willing, most take enough to “survive” maybe up to level 3 and then move on to their busy working and family lives. It’s difficult for them. I could do more as the need in Philly is huge, I could do less (assist rather than teach) as we are always looking for TAs to support the teachers in the class (no lesson planning here), I started as a TA as I think about it, to get the ball rolling for me. It’s volunteer, no pay.

I do a little tutoring as the opportunities arise. This is also volunteer.

The program I am involved with is well run and established which IMO is very helpful especially for a newbie

I love it, thanks for asking….
"How much money is enough?", John Rockefeller responded, "...just a little bit more."
biscuits

Post by biscuits »

Interesting and inspiring thread!

For several years, ending with Covid restrictions, I volunteered one day a week in a museum, assisting with making their photographic collections available online. I loved it.

I have tutored Syrian refugees in ESL. That was very rewarding.

Currently I am involved in GOTV (get out the vote) efforts in various campaigns through the Hopium Chronicles platform. It's very satisfying: I request a batch of addresses selected by the campaign, and write and mail the postcards within 3 days, following a provided script. Supposedly, postcards to infrequent voters can help nudge them to vote. Texting and phone banking options are also available, but I prefer writing the cards. I used to do a lot of in-person voter registration, but these days, I prefer to work from home. Sent 30 postcards to the NY 3 Special Election for tomorrow. It feels good to be involved, even in this small way.
PugetSoundguy

Post by PugetSoundguy »

Little League umpire (and groundskeeper). Contrary to the horror stories you sometimes hear, the kids, coaches, and spectators around here have been great. I do my best, but if a I blow a call, everyone seems to take it in stride. It's also very entertaining to overhear the conversation between the catcher and batter.
pahkcah

Post by pahkcah »

stan1 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:54 am
This might interest me, how many hours per year do you volunteer? In person or online? Are the people you work with polite and thankful in general?
There are approximately 3,500 Tax-Aide sites in the U.S. Operation of each of these sites is assigned to a coordinator who manages the site schedule. The site coordinators work with volunteers assigned to their site to set up the number of volunteer hours. The days per week that a site is open varies. Some sites may only be open one day per week, some may be open multiple days. At our site, we provide support on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays during tax season. All I ask is that volunteers let me know which days they can be available. We allow volunteers to schedule ½ days, which are 3 hours in length (9:00 A.M. to Noon or Noon to 3:00 P.M.). Some of our volunteers work one day a week, some work multiple days per week, and some volunteers only work ½ a day per week. We’re located in the northern U.S. We have multiple volunteers who spend a month or more in Florida or elsewhere during tax season. I just schedule tax return appointments to account for when volunteers are available. Now, that’s at our site. At other sites the site coordinator may prefer that a volunteer be available at least one day per week. Outside of hours volunteers work during tax season, please be aware that every year we are required to complete IRS and Tax-Aide certification requirements based on the role(s) we perform.

Speaking of roles, there are multiple roles that our volunteers can perform. We have people who greet taxpayers, organize their paperwork, and explain the overall process. I performed in this role, called Client Facilitator, my first-year volunteering. It's a great way to meet people from throughout the local community. Volunteers who perform in the Tax Counselor role prepare and file returns, while trying to identify any deductions and/or credits that taxpayers might be eligible for. We also have roles for volunteers who provide technology support, administrative support, and provide mentoring and/or training for new volunteers. Administrative tasks include functions like scheduling appointments. I provided a link below that lists the various roles.

As for how we prepare tax returns, each site can choose from a variety of models. The majority of sites use an in-person model where taxes (Federal and state) are prepared while the taxpayer remains onsite. The taxpayers are provided a copy of their returns, and we electronically file the returns for them. There are cases where submission of a paper return is required. In those cases, we provide an extra copy for taxpayers to mail, and pre-addressed envelopes. Another popular model is “drop off” where tax documents are left at a Tax-Aide site by taxpayers and their returns are prepared remotely. Taxpayers return to pick up their completed returns and their tax documents. There are other models that include scanning taxpayer documents and generating the returns remotely; having the taxpayers upload tax documents, and then generating their returns remotely; online coaching, where the taxpayer prepares their own return and receives online support from a volunteer; and self-preparation, where the taxpayer prepares their own return using a software made available through a Tax-Aide website. At our site, we only use the in-person model.

We are provided space at our local community senior center. Although we mainly support elderly low to moderate income taxpayers, we prepare tax returns for anyone. I have prepared returns for taxpayers from 16 to 104 (one of the first persons to be issued a Social Security number). In general, the people we support are polite and very appreciative of the service we provide. Should a taxpayer become angry, or say something inappropriate to one of our volunteers, it’s the site coordinator’s (that's me) role to deal with the situation. I’ve been volunteering for 5 years. The only anger I’ve experienced are taxpayers who don’t agree with having to pay taxes in the first place. The overall experience can be personally very rewarding, and humbling.

Roles - https://www.aarp.org/volunteer/programs/tax-aide/
Site Locator - https://www.aarp.org/money/taxes/aarp_t ... locations/

Sorry for the long response. Please feel free to send me a private message if you have any further questions. I’d recommend you contact the coordinator at the site nearest your home (link above) and get her/his feedback on any questions you may have. If any Tax-Aide volunteers feel I've misstated anything or have anything to add, please respond.
guyfromct

Post by guyfromct »

Wannaretireearly wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:52 am Following. Types of activities I think I’d enjoy are local, perhaps something at the local hospital?
I volunteer at the hospital, it’s a large academic medical center. I help bring direct admits to admissions, help check visitors in and help bring people up to the rooms they’re visiting and help bring visitors who need assistance (wheelchairs) to where they need to go. It’s immensely rewarding, I highly recommend it, also you get in a lot of steps. There are also clerical volunteering opportunities.
TexasPE

Post by TexasPE »

VITA/ TAXAide volunteer through April - 8 hrs/ week
ABET STEM auditor for colleges and universities July-November ~8 hrs. per week +3 day site visit
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABET
Literacy volunteer through city library (Adult literacy at local minimum security prison, GED tutoring (Algebra and Geometry))
Gavel Club (Toastmasters for institutions) - 8 hrs/ month at local prisons
https://www.toastmasters.org/membership ... avel-clubs
Church-usher/ teach second grade bible study
Misc opportunities
https://www.setrpc.org/rsvp/
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

guyfromct wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:37 pm
Wannaretireearly wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:52 am Following. Types of activities I think I’d enjoy are local, perhaps something at the local hospital?
I volunteer at the hospital, it’s a large academic medical center. I help bring direct admits to admissions, help check visitors in and help bring people up to the rooms they’re visiting and help bring visitors who need assistance (wheelchairs) to where they need to go. It’s immensely rewarding, I highly recommend it, also you get in a lot of steps. There are also clerical volunteering opportunities.
Fantastic. Thanks for sharing your experience!
“At some point you are trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend.“ | “How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?“
Topic Author
A440

Post by A440 »

I just checked with my local Habitat for Humanity for opportunities. I plan to help out at a local build.
I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds my future.
racy

Post by racy »

* Walking dogs at Humane Society on my own schedule
* Our county Food Pantry several times a week
* Habitat for Humanity occasionally
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

Decades from retirement, but I have a few volunteering ideas. I have personally enjoyed coaching my kids Little League baseball teams and flag football teams for the past 7 years! Some of the kids still remember me years later and call me coach! There's a great need for umps or refs in all sports, if you're willing and able. I do not enjoy the politics of it, being on the board, none of that. I do what I can, and what I enjoy.

My daughter is a Girl Scout we do the following:
- put together lunch bags for local homeless shelter
- food pantry collections
- make cards for nursing homes and caroling around Christmas
- place flags at veterans grave sites
- collections for animal shelters
- make baby blankets for low income expecting parents
- make care packages for troops overseas
Light weight baby!