Birthday gift for kids at 13

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
grtwallchina75

Birthday gift for kids at 13

Post by grtwallchina75 »

Hello,
My kids, son and daughter are turning 13 next week, what would you give your kid at 13 yr birthday ? What did you get on your 13th ?

They say they dont want anything. Any ideas would be much appreciated. thank you.
Last edited by grtwallchina75 on Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
westpac

Re: Birthday gift for kids at 13

Post by westpac »

Give them money so they can get what they want. You are saving for their trade school or college?

westpac- still on patrol.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

grtwallchina75 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:13 am Hello,
My kids, son and daughter are turning 13 next week, what would you give your kid as 13 yr birthday

They say they dont want anything. Any ideas would be much appreciated. thank you.
We don't know the children so we can't say. I remember my parents bought me some gifts that were really perfect for me (and really only a couple that weren't) when I was that age, but they all involved my interests or activities.

I'm somewhat surprised that they'd say they don't want anything. I wonder if that's common?
3hrs

Post by 3hrs »

Juggling sticks, books (Dangerous Book for Boys, Mini Weapons of Mass Destruction, cookbooks on how to make interesting food plus some ingredients) Lock Picking Sets, Unicycles, Slacklines, gear to be used on family adventures, cash to spend at a used bookstore or secondhand shop, kits to make unusual items such as a functional clock made of paper, annual membership to a museum, pool, etc.
TwstdSista

Post by TwstdSista »

I like experiences - arcades, laser tag, escape rooms, etc. In Boston we also have Boda Borg and Level99 which my kids love.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Experiences, cash, birthday party at home with family, a cake with candles.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I always ask my kids what they want. If they come back with "nothing", I'll try to spark something by picking an interest of theirs and asking if they want anything pertaining to that interest. I am always able to get some idea from this conversation.

If they continued to tell me they can't think of anything, I would be inclined to grant them their wish and just give them a card and go out to eat or something like that to celebrate. That might cause them to put more thought into it the following year.
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

My kids are 14 and 11. We get them what they ask for. Not everything, but what we can afford. I don't know any kids who don't want anything for their birthday. Do some digging. Ask again in a different way. "Would you like XYZ for your bday?" What are your kids in to?

Couple years back I got my son a gaming setup - desk, gamer chair, PS4, for his room. My daughter, she's into arts and crafts stuff, whatever trends are popular like the Stanley cup craze, as well as some clothes, makeup, crochet kit etc.
Light weight baby!
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Cash. At that age they'll either buy clothes, vid games or actually save it.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Their first smartphone and a checking account.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

livesoft wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:42 am Their first smartphone and a checking account.
Fidelity youth account - not sure if they are still offering the put $50 in and they will match it, comes with a debit card.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

Ask your kids what their kids want. Normally that is a pretty easy age, money is always appreciated too.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
alexbogle

Post by alexbogle »

Gift them a bogleheads book.

Then offer them 100 dollars to buy what they want or 200 dollars if they invest it for 10 years.
"Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It’s cheaper!” -- Jack Bogle
sureshoe

Post by sureshoe »

My kids, son and daughter are turning 13 next week, what would you give your kid at 13 yr birthday ? What did you get on your 13th ?

Serious question : "What do they like?" or "What do they spend their time doing?"

If they aren't actively asking for material possessions, then that's great - they've achieved the first stage of having a better life. However, they hopefully have some activities they do beyond going to school and watching youTube/TV/TikTok/etc.

I agree with notes above about "experiences", but I'd start with things they have interest in. We'll take the kids to a random sporting event. For my youngest, he hates that. Instead, he'd rather go to a trampoline park or play.

An investing account is a great gift... if that's the sort of thing they like.

If you describe some basic interests, people here will give you lots of feedback. More than you want :)
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

The only birthday gift I remember besides the silver dollars my grandparents gave me was when I turned 13 and my uncle gave me stock (perhaps just one share?) in what was Martin Marietta Corporation. That started me investing.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

Grt2bOutdoors wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:44 am
livesoft wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:42 am Their first smartphone and a checking account.
Fidelity youth account - not sure if they are still offering the put $50 in and they will match it, comes with a debit card.
+1 Unless it was renewed, I think the bonus expired last month. Still a great idea though!
CaptainT

Post by CaptainT »

Do an activity with each of them individually. They get to pick activity and meal that day.
One on one time. Ideal is something you are both doing for the first time. So a rock climbing gym take an intro class together, go snowboarding together, go to a glassblowing class together, a woodworkingclass, ect. Basically do an experience together. If two parents in picture bothe parents should do an individual activity and meal with each kid.
This creates memories and skills.
phinanciallyfit

Post by phinanciallyfit »

I haven't a clue what I got for my 13th birthday. I can't say that any of my bday gifts were memorable. I never wanted anything either. What I do remember, are the special dinners I had ... Not every year, by some years my parents took me out for dinner any where I wanted. Just me. I remember these years.

Think about what your kids like and plan a special day for each of them. If you have the funds, this could be pretty price, but could also be more moderately priced. Is it dinner and the theater, a cool museum, a national park, an overnight trip to a cool place? Maybe a camping trip. Focus on what they are interested in and not what you think is cool or wish they'd like.

More moderately priced activities: hiking, day at the zoo with a picnic, mini golf, laser tag and food, etc.
phinanciallyfit

Post by phinanciallyfit »

YeahBuddy wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:37 am My kids are 14 and 11. We get them what they ask for. Not everything, but what we can afford. I don't know any kids who don't want anything for their birthday. Do some digging. Ask again in a different way. "Would you like XYZ for your bday?" What are your kids in to?

Couple years back I got my son a gaming setup - desk, gamer chair, PS4, for his room. My daughter, she's into arts and crafts stuff, whatever trends are popular like the Stanley cup craze, as well as some clothes, makeup, crochet kit etc.
I can honestly say that I didn't want much stuff at that age and didn't ask for anything for bdays and Christmas. There was one thing I wanted, but it was beyond feasible for my family (and many families), which I knew. As an adult, my parents told me that I always ended up getting more gifts because they wanted to make sure to get something I'd like and they didn't know what to get me with out my input.

What I remember about theses times is feeling extremely stressed about showing my appreciation for the gifts and being appropriately grateful when I didn't actually want more stuff.

I think people should believe others when they say they don't want anything. Few of us need so much stuff.
oldfatguy

Post by oldfatguy »

My daughter is turning 12, and she doesn't want anything, either. Understandable, since she has everything she needs, hasn't even taken all the Xmas presents out of their packaging yet, and has unused gift cards from prior years.

For birthday gifts, she is asking people to make donations to a local animal shelter, which is what she has done most years.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

I don’t remember much. I expect it might have been a piece of clothing I wanted. Maybe a record album.
Birthdays weren’t big. A home made cake was big deal at my house
WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima »

one Mac Mini and two shares of AAPL.
somewhatentertained

Post by somewhatentertained »

My new teens like activity friend parties. We have done water park, airsoft, bowling/laser tag parties, for example. They always get gift cards from their friends. The celebration of them is the gift.
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

phinanciallyfit wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:55 am
YeahBuddy wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:37 am My kids are 14 and 11. We get them what they ask for. Not everything, but what we can afford. I don't know any kids who don't want anything for their birthday. Do some digging. Ask again in a different way. "Would you like XYZ for your bday?" What are your kids in to?

I can honestly say that I didn't want much stuff at that age and didn't ask for anything for bdays and Christmas. There was one thing I wanted, but it was beyond feasible for my family (and many families), which I knew. As an adult, my parents told me that I always ended up getting more gifts because they wanted to make sure to get something I'd like and they didn't know what to get me with out my input.

What I remember about theses times is feeling extremely stressed about showing my appreciation for the gifts and being appropriately grateful when I didn't actually want more stuff.

I think people should believe others when they say they don't want anything. Few of us need so much stuff.

Believe them, then get them something that they are in to or something they need. Even if they don't want anything, they need clothes, as kids are still growing at this age. Size up. These are some ideas I'm providing OP, who is asking for gift ideas.
Light weight baby!
Elysium

Post by Elysium »

I gave my oldest one some money when he turned 13, and helped open a investment account, he bought Apple stock with it, that money grew quite a lot. The younger one didn't get such good ideas, but I gave same amount of money and again helped open an investment account - that money is sitting in an index fund, it didn't grow so much as the other one, but it's not my call to pick stocks, one had idea and I didn't block, other one had no idea, so I chose the no nothing option.
herennow

Post by herennow »

Perhaps Nike Air Jordans for boy, and Ugg Tasman for girls. Kids LOVE a great pair of shoes. Favorite sports jerseys, sephora gift cards, or tickets to a concert if you are feelin all fancy 😎
Topic Author
grtwallchina75

Post by grtwallchina75 »

3hrs wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:43 am Juggling sticks, books (Dangerous Book for Boys, Mini Weapons of Mass Destruction, cookbooks on how to make interesting food plus some ingredients) Lock Picking Sets, Unicycles, Slacklines, gear to be used on family adventures, cash to spend at a used bookstore or secondhand shop, kits to make unusual items such as a functional clock made of paper, annual membership to a museum, pool, etc.
Both of them love pools but we couldnt find any pool memberships, we dont have a pool at home and we live in north san diego.
Topic Author
grtwallchina75

Post by grtwallchina75 »

Elysium wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:09 pm

I gave my oldest one some money when he turned 13, and helped open a investment account, he bought Apple stock with it, that money grew quite a lot. The younger one didn't get such good ideas, but I gave same amount of money and again helped open an investment account - that money is sitting in an index fund, it didn't grow so much as the other one, but it's not my call to pick stocks, one had idea and I didn't block, other one had no idea, so I chose the no nothing option.
Which investment account did you open ?
I'm banned from Fidelity so sadly I cannot open a youth account, ME doesnt have a youth account.
Alfonsia

Post by Alfonsia »

A 13 yr old that says nothing already has everything. Mine would have been able to give me a mile long list of all the depravations they suffered LOL, as we were frugal. Go with cash.
MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat »

I got a .22 rifle when I was 13, Remington model 572. Still have it. To be fair we lived in a rural area where it was useful.
JoeNJ28

Post by JoeNJ28 »

grtwallchina75 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:05 pm

I'm banned from Fidelity so sadly I cannot open a youth account, ME doesnt have a youth account.
Not to sidebar but how do you get banned from fidelity.
Elysium

Post by Elysium »

grtwallchina75 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:05 pm

UTMA. You can open at any of the major brokerages.
FIRWYW

Post by FIRWYW »

For my 13th- sports equipment.
Kids have varied in their interests- sports equipment, art supplies, experiences. Serious thing my current child wants- new lawn mower so she can start a business like her older sibling did since it was fairly lucrative for that age (about $35-$50/hr). However once she realizes how much work that will be to get the truck she wants at 16, she may change her mind.

Point is- too individual. Don’t buy a present just because someone else likes it.