What is your favorite book?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
protagonist

What is your favorite book?

Post by protagonist »

[Moved into a new thread from: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI --admin LadyGeek]

I just read a book that I am not going to recommend because it wasn't great, and you probably wouldn't think of buying it anyway.

I read it because I ran out of ideas of what to read.

So I'm asking a favor:

Please tell me what is your favorite, or one of your favorite, books....NOT necessarily what you are "currently reading".

(Preferably not an investing book. I read enough of those after the 2008 crash. I had my fill and haven't felt like reading any more, since wise investing is simple and the few good ones just say essentially the same things anyway).

I like science, history, really good sci-fi, good literature, adventure, off-beat stuff or anything of any subject that will knock my socks off.

People say The Power Broker is truly great, but at age 71 I don't know if I have enough time left on earth to want to dedicate myself to a 1200 page book. I have taken a renewed interest in TV for that reason.

I need inspiration.

(and please....no "Self-help" books.....)
Last edited by protagonist on Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StartedAt22

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by StartedAt22 »

protagonist wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:09 pm I just read a book that I am not going to recommend because it wasn't great, and you probably wouldn't think of buying it anyway.

So I'm asking a favor:

Please tell me what is your favorite, or one of your favorite, books....NOT necessarily what you are "currently reading".

(Preferably not an investing book. I read enough of those after the 2008 crash. I had my fill and haven't felt like reading any more, since wise investing is simple and the few good ones just say essentially the same things anyway).

I like science, history, really good sci-fi, good literature, adventure, off-beat stuff or anything of any subject that will knock my socks off.

People say The Power Broker is truly great, but at age 71 I don't know if I have enough time left on earth to want to dedicate myself to a 1200 page book. I have taken a renewed interest in TV for that reason.

I need inspiration.
If you haven't read it yet, check out Feed by MT Anderson. One of the more impactful texts I read in my formative years. Increasingly applicable in the contemporary age.
A task begun is nearly half complete | Enough is as good as a feast | Risk: Ensure your goals can be met even under worst case scenario and be realistic.
Topic Author
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

StartedAt22 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:12 pm
protagonist wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:09 pm I just read a book that I am not going to recommend because it wasn't great, and you probably wouldn't think of buying it anyway.

So I'm asking a favor:

People say The Power Broker is truly great, but at age 71 I don't know if I have enough time left on earth to want to dedicate myself to a 1200 page book, like I might have done in my 20s. I have taken a renewed interest in TV for that reason.

I need inspiration.
If you haven't read it yet, check out Feed by MT Anderson. One of the more impactful texts I read in my formative years. Increasingly applicable in the contemporary age.
Interesting! I do like that turn of the century cyberpunk stuff. It's a possibility. I appreciate it. Thanks!
(The one thing that puts me off is the 3.6/5 rating on Goodreads. I know those ratings are mostly BS, but hardly anything gets less than a 4 on any site these days.....)
StartedAt22

Post by StartedAt22 »

protagonist wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:14 pm

So I'm asking a favor:

People say The Power Broker is truly great, but at age 71 I don't know if I have enough time left on earth to want to dedicate myself to a 1200 page book, like I might have done in my 20s. I have taken a renewed interest in TV for that reason.

I need inspiration.
Interesting! I do like that turn of the century cyberpunk stuff. It's a possibility. I appreciate it. Thanks!
(The one thing that puts me off is the 3.6/5 rating on Goodreads. I know those ratings are mostly BS, but hardly anything gets less than a 4 on any site these days.....)
That's totally fair - and maybe I am looking back with rose-tinted glasses. Nonetheless, if you do decide to read, I hope you enjoy it!
A task begun is nearly half complete | Enough is as good as a feast | Risk: Ensure your goals can be met even under worst case scenario and be realistic.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

So I'm asking a favor:

I need inspiration.

Underground Railroad is great. Project Hail Mary is also really good. A Gentleman in Moscow is well done. All of the Enola Holmes books are fun romps. Tomorrow, Tomorrow, and Tomorrow is a good read. A House by the Cerulean Sea is good.

For classics, I really like the unedited version of Three Musketeers. Early translations cut out content. So you’ll have to pay up for this one.

What are you looking for fiction wise?
Last edited by rockstar on Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

So I'm asking a favor:

I need inspiration.

I am age 78, and enjoyed these books.

The Shetland series of novels, mysteries set in the Shetland Islands, written by Ann Cleeves.

The Vera series of novels, mysteries set in Northumberland, England, also by Ann Cleeves.

Both have been made into TV series, available for streaming on Britbox.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

So I'm asking a favor:

Please tell me what is your favorite, or one of your favorite, books....NOT necessarily what you are "currently reading"....

People say The Power Broker is truly great, but at age 71 I don't know if I have enough time left on earth to want to dedicate myself to a 1200 page book....
I'm reading The Power Broker and finding it readable and interesting. What's holding me up is not that it's 1200 pages, but that it's 1200 pages of fairly fine print and not available in eBook format. I like it enough to have bought it, rather than borrowing and re-borrowing from the library. But another problem is that it is physically too heavy to read comfortably in bed. Honest truth: I have spent $40 on single-vision prescription reading glasses with a +3 reading strength just to make it easier to read this book.

1200 pages is not all that bad. I mean The Fund, which I just read, is 335 pages. The Lord of the Rings is just about 1200 pages total. And The Power Broker is even broken into Parts I through VII. Think of it as seven books in one omnibus volume. I tend to pinball back and forth between several books at once, and I can't guarantee I'll live another year but I expect to, and I expect to finish The Power Broker.

Unless it gets boring. I have felt for several decades that I am under no compulsion to finish a book if it's boring. I do allow time to "get into" them, and frankly in most biographies I skip ahead to early adulthood. When I re-read The Lord of the Rings I generally skip over the fifth half-book--the epic battles.

If I bog down and quit I'll mention it in this thread.

This stuff is pretty darned personal, but if you don't know the Dick Francis racing mysteries, I've yet to read one that I haven't enjoyed. Yeah, the earlier ones are a little better than the later ones. They are quite indescribable. Many or most of them are set in the world of English steeplechase racing. What is curious about them is that unlike almost every other mystery or thriller, the protagonist is typically really afraid of getting beaten up (but of course goes ahead anyway). Anyway when I want to read something surefire, Dick Francis is what I go to. They are pretty short and you will know pretty quickly if you like them. They are page-turners... but they don't do the cheap trick of so many modern entertainment novels of intertwining two storylines and ending every chapter with a cliffhanger.
Last edited by nisiprius on Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

nisiprius wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:39 pm

So I'm asking a favor:

Please tell me what is your favorite, or one of your favorite, books....NOT necessarily what you are "currently reading"....

People say The Power Broker is truly great, but at age 71 I don't know if I have enough time left on earth to want to dedicate myself to a 1200 page book....
I'm reading The Power Broker and finding it readable and interesting. What's holding me up is not that it's 1200 pages, but that it's 1200 pages of fairly fine print and not available in eBook format. I like it enough to have bought it, rather than borrowing and re-borrowing from the library. But another problem is that it is physically too heavy to read comfortably in bed. Honest truth: I have spent $40 to get single-vision prescription reading glasses with a +3 reading strength...

1200 pages is not all that bad. I mean The Fund, which I just read, is 335 pages. The Lord of the Rings is just about 1200 pages total. I tend to pinball back and forth between several books at once. I can't guarantee I'll live another year but I expect to, and I expect to finish The Power Broker. Unless it gets boring. I have felt for several decades that I am under no compulsion to finish a book if it's boring. I do allow time to "get into" them, and frankly in most biographies I skip ahead to early adulthood. When I re-read The Lord of the Rings I generally skip over the fifth half-book--the epic battles.

This stuff is pretty darned personal, but if you don't know the Dick Francis racing mysteries, I've yet to read one that I haven't enjoyed. Yeah, the earlier ones are a little better than the later ones. They are quite indescribable. Many or most of them are set in the world of English steeplechase racing. What is curious about them is that unlike almost every other mystery or thriller, the protagonist is typically really afraid of getting beaten up (but of course goes ahead anyway). Anyway when I want to read something surefire, Dick Francis is what I go to. They are pretty short and you will know pretty quickly if you like them. They are page-turners... but they don't do the cheap trick of so many modern entertainment novels of intertwining two storylines and ending every chapter with a cliffhanger.
1200 pages isn’t a lot. If you read 30 pages a day, that’s 900 in a month. That’s two books easy. My significant other reads 150 books a year while working 4 ten hour days. I read 3-4 books a month, where each is about 400ish pages each. And I’ll read for about a little over an hour before going to bed.

The more you read the faster someone will finish. Of course, some books read much faster than others. I can finish a Blake Crouch book in a day or two.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

protagonist wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:09 pm
So I'm asking a favor:

There are so many and whatever I recommend will be in some kind of limited pigeonhole in a vast universe, giving undue importance to any recommendation. Any way, here are three off the top of my head, mostly selected to be mutually unalike!

Between Silk and Cyanide: A Codemaker's War, 1941-1945 by Leo Marks
Soon recognized as a cryptographer of genius, Marks became head of communications at Britain's WWII Special Operations Executive (SOE), where he revolutionized the code making techniques of the British and trained some of the most famous agents dropped into German-occupied Europe.

The Great Game (1990) by Peter Hopkirk
"The Great Game" is a term for the strategic rivalry and conflict among the British, French and Russian empires (and others) for supremacy in Central Asia, peaking during the 19th century but starting much earlier and still going on even today. The term was popularized (although not invented) by Rudyard Kipling.

Much of "The Great Game" has to do with overland access to India for trade, conquest, or plunder. The book describes the large-scale geopolitical issues and the personal activities of both major and minor characters, from Napoleon to lone adventurers. The "boots on the ground" had to deal with life-threatening extremes -- high mountains and massive deserts "infested with murderous tribes" and the Mongol Hoards out to conquer, kill (and sometimes eat!) almost anyone.

These activities inspired many a 19th century adventure story, prime examples being Rudyard Kipling's novel Kim (read it!) and his short story The Man Who Would Be King. The latter was made into an excellent 1975 movie with Sean Connery and Michael Caine, directed by the great John Huston.

I can't recommend the book highly enough, both for the adventure of it and for putting the whole Central Asia situation -- even of today -- into perspective.

The Princess Bride (1973, 1998, 2003) by William Goldman
Both the book and the movie are favorites of mine. If you have a few teens (boy or girl) you want to keep out of your hair for a while on a rainy day, pop in the DVD and the next hour and a half are yours! Unless you yourself get hooked in the first 10 minutes as I do every time. Goldman really knows how to tell a story. See Marathon Man, No Way to Treat a Lady, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Hot Rock, The Great Waldo Pepper, Maverick, Heat.

Any of the P. G. Woodhouse books. The Jeeves and Wooster books are the place to start.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

protagonist wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:09 pm I like science, history, really good sci-fi, good literature, adventure, off-beat stuff or anything of any subject that will knock my socks off.
For science fiction I recommend the thread devoted the subject:

viewtopic.php?t=146455
JD2775

Re: What is your favorite book?

Post by JD2775 »

My favorite sub-300 page book: City of Thieves - David Benioff.

History, adventure, friendship, humor and heartbreak all rolled into one. Fantastic book and a quick read. Don't let the Benioff/Game of Thrones thing throw you off. He can definitely write well IMO.
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay (by Michael Chabon).

Pulitzer Prize for fiction; a well-written book that spans several decades. You'll enjoy it!
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche
Jeepergeo

Post by Jeepergeo »

Everett Ruess - A Vagabond for Beauty, by W.L. Rusho.

The book is a collection of letters and stories written by Everett Ruess, a young man that accomplished more in his short life than most folks will accomplish in a normal modern lifetime.

His mother was an art professor and his father was head of a prison. Everett was a wander, a dreamer, and ultimately a southwest legend.
Last edited by Jeepergeo on Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
spencer99

Post by spencer99 »

protagonist wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:09 pm [Moved into a new thread from: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI --admin LadyGeek]

So I'm asking a favor:

(Preferably not an investing book.
Earlier this year I read Dolnick's "The Writing of the Gods," a fascinating account of the deciphering of hieroglyphic writing. So much more than the Rosetta Stone. Equal parts, history, quest, competition, manic compulsion. Wonderful read.
FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet »

I really enjoyed the book, Shogun by James Clavell. If you start today, you can finish it in time for the new mini series coming at the end of the month.
FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet »

JD2775 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:21 pm My favorite sub-300 page book: City of Thieves - David Benioff.

History, adventure, friendship, humor and heartbreak all rolled into one. Fantastic book and a quick read. Don't let the Benioff/Game of Thrones thing throw you off. He can definitely write well IMO.
Loved that book, too. If you like Benioff, try reading The Three Body Problem. Benioff is turning it into a tv series.
FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet »

So I'm asking a favor:

I need inspiration.
Ooh, Mt Anderson wrote Octavian Nothing. Loved that book. First time I really digested that the British freed the slaves in 1776. Really makes you think.
gamboolman

Post by gamboolman »

There can't be only one :D Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
foghorn300

Post by foghorn300 »

I am a big fan of the two following authors and their franchise characters:
    The Mitch Rapp series by Vince Flynn.
      The John Rain series by Barry Eisler.

I make it a point to stay on top of new releases for each. Just finished the latest Mitch Rapp (Code Red). If you decide to start either series, do not just pick a book at random. While each book can stand on its own, starting at the beginning of each series will help you follow the lead character.
      Dufus

Post by Dufus »

Remarkably Bright Creatures
      Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

A somewhat cattywampus list of current favorites:

HIstory: The Last King of America: The Misunderstood Reign of George III by Roberts*
      Philosophy: The Structure of Scientific Revolutions Kuhn (can even see where this is applicable to investing)
      Scifi: Old Man's War Scalzi
      Architecture: The Chesapeake House: Architectural Investigation by Colonial Williamsburg

I dare say that Americans should read this book to understand and reassess George III.
      "History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
      doobiedoo

Post by doobiedoo »

protagonist wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:09 pm Please tell me what is your favorite, or one of your favorite, books....NOT necessarily what you are "currently reading".
      (Preferably not an investing book.)

"Fourth Wing" by Rebecca Yarros has been on the best seller lists for 10 months. It checks your criteria.

"Fourth Wing" is a fantasy book. Some may even classify it as a romance novel in a fantasy world.
      But this is definitely going to be a series. A cross between Harry Potter and Game of Thrones.

Book review from https://darksideoftheword.com/blog/2023 ... cca-yarros:
      "Okay… so what makes Fourth Wing so amazing?
      I’m going to start with the simple fact that there are sarcastic dragons in it.
      Enough said. Enjoy your book.

I’m lying. There’s a whole lot more. Like I couldn’t put the book down and binged it in three days.

At the beginning, I wasn’t believing the hype. Whatever made this book special was missing.
      Yes, the protagonist has a disability.
      Yes, we are introduced to the hot antagonist that’s going to ruin everything.
      Yes, the story immediately sets the stakes.
      Let’s not forget about the death-defying walk across the beam just to get into the riders’ academy. But it was obvious from the page count that Violet was going to survive. Which is the case for the entire story. Violet is always going to make it because how else is there going to be five books?

Yes. You read that right. This series is set to have five books. You won't catch me complaining.

I’m not here for the story.
      I’m not here for the stakes.
      I’m here for the freaking dragons.
      I beg of you, if you’re on the fence hold out until the dragons are introduced. They are the glue that sticks everything together. They’re the true GOATS.

Maybe you’re thinking this story is like all the rest, but it’s not. Yarrows put her own shiny twist to the idea of a dragon rider, especially with the inclusion of Violet’s disability — not something regularly put in the spotlight. The big gruff monsters are the teddy bears and the dialogue will make you wish the book was never-ending."

Book 2 of the Empyrean series is called "Iron Flame" and is now available. It is also on the best seller lists.
      https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BV9 ... ype=ebooks

Iron Flame starts slower than Fourth Wing but finished better.
      You should read the books in order. 3 more books to go in the series.
      https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/61431922 4.65 stars
      Last edited by doobiedoo on Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
      Virginia106

Post by Virginia106 »

You mentioned history; I read “The Boys in the Boat” years ago and I see it is coming out now as a movie. I am planning to re-read.
      exodusing

Post by exodusing »

protagonist wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:09 pmPeople say The Power Broker is truly great, but at age 71 I don't know if I have enough time left on earth to want to dedicate myself to a 1200 page book.
      Well worth reading. Caro's Lyndon Johnson biographies are also great (and are available in ebook form if you prefer).
      surfinagin

Post by surfinagin »

+1 Rockstar's recommendation of A Gentleman in Moscow.
      I'm not "well read", but did read that recently after enjoying author Amor Towles' The Lincoln Highway, then went on to read his Rules of Civility.
      All 3 were great -wish I could find more similar books/authors!
      OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

The first books that came to mind while reading the Op's post:

1) Touching the Void by Joe Simpson. Non-fiction. A harrowing, amazing, first-person account of survival while mountaineering in the Andes. I've read this book multiple times, and will probably read it again.

2) Over the Edge of the World by Laurence Bergreen. Non-fiction. A great book about the life of Ferdinand Magellan and the horrors he and his crew experienced circumnavigating the world. Meets the criteria of history and adventure.

Favorite is difficult, but the following are a few of the hundreds - maybe thousands - I've read that really stood out for me: (They might not meet the Op's criteria.)

All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque. Fiction.

The Rabbit series of novels by John Updike. Fiction.

Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. Fiction.

The World According to Garp by John Irving. Fiction.

The Bonfire of the Vanities by Tom Wolfe. Fiction.
      tm3

Post by tm3 »

Point of Impact, Stephen Hunter
      JPM

Post by JPM »

West from Appomattox by Heather Cox Richardson, development of the US after the Civil war.

Annals of the Former World, John McPhee; A geological tour of the USA along the route of I80 from coast to coast with a local geologist as guide and interviewee at each segment of the US along the way. Very interesting pop geology.

The Caro series on Lyndon Johnson is fabulous. It's on every shelf in DC but few have read it. It's on audio and you can get it on your phone on Audible. Learn a lot about how US government worked back in the day. Power Broker is fine, more NYC-centric if that's your thing.

The Prize, Daniel Yergin. If you are a nonfiction reader you probably have read it.

WW2 stuff; With the Old Breed by EB Sledge is unmatched for drama and puts you right there. Goodbye Darkness by Wm Manchester better written. More to come,
      rockstar

Post by rockstar »

OpenMinded1 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:27 am The first books that came to mind while reading the Op's post:

1) Touching the Void by Joe Simpson. Non-fiction. A harrowing, amazing, first-person account of survival while mountaineering in the Andes. I've read this book multiple times, and will probably read it again.

2) Over the Edge of the World by Laurence Bergreen. Non-fiction. A great book about the life of Ferdinand Magellan and the horrors he and his crew experienced circumnavigating the world. Meets the criteria of history and adventure.

Favorite is difficult, but the following are a few of the hundreds - maybe thousands - I've read that really stood out for me: (They might not meet the Op's criteria.)

All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque. Fiction.

The Rabbit series of novels by John Updike. Fiction.

Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. Fiction.

The World According to Garp by John Irving. Fiction.

The Bonfire of the Vanities by Tom Wolfe. Fiction.
      Read All Quiet on the Western Front last year. That book was super depressing but really good.

I like Cormac’s stuff.
      JPM

Post by JPM »

Had to interrupt my post on this thread for my Medicare Wellness + visit.

WW2 from the German side; "Tigers in the Mud" by Otto Carius. He was the highest scoring German tank ace to survive the war. I don't know of an American or British tanker who provided a similar memoir. Or even a Russian tanker which could be interesting. Would have been scary stuff going up against tigers and 88s in a Sherman or even a T34. I know of no Japanese war memoir of a surviving front line soldier. Guy Sajer's "The Forgotten Soldier" is an excellent (fictionalized?) Franco-German account of infantry combat on the Russo-German front.

"The Sorrow of War" by Bao Ninh is a dramatic memoir from a North Vietnamese infantryman emphasizing how scary it was for them to be going up against our guys over there.

From the midcentury Studs Terkel's everyman interviews in books like "Coming of Age", "Working", etc depict mostly midcentury midwesterners and their takes on the events of their day. May not age well, but a creative approach to making the historical record.

Going back to the American Civil War, "Sherman" by BH Liddell-Hart is a great read, beautifully written. Grant's autobiography is also excellent if you haven't read it. The Bruce Catton series "Mr LIncoln's Army", "Glory Road", and "A Stillness at Appomattox" was published around the CW centennial as I recall. Its three volumes are a quick overview of the travails and triumphs of the Army of the Potomac. The war in the west was covered well in Shelby Foote's civil war series but he sympathizes with the South more than the above. "Team of Rivals" about Lincoln's cabinet from Doris Goodwin a good read as well. From the Southern perspective, Douglas Southall Freeman's RE Lee was published earlier. Freeman was editor of the Richmond Dispatch while writing it and had access to immense stores of material and enough legmen to chase it down. Again a very literary treatment of its subject but at four volumes maybe a bit much. There is a one-volume abridgment more digestible but with less detail about life in the antebellum South and the antebellum army. Not on audio as far as I know.
      backpacker61

Post by backpacker61 »

The Army of the Potomac - trilogy by Bruce Catton

Albion's Seed - David Hackett Fischer - explores how American cultures came to be from four antecedent British regional subcultures
      “Now shall I walk or shall I ride? | 'Ride,' Pleasure said; | 'Walk,' Joy replied.” | | ― W.H. Davies
      climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

We should place an over/under on how many posts it takes for someone to say "The Bible".

The only fiction book in my permanent collection is The Little Prince. I first read it at age 7 and like to re-read it every few years.
      ekid

Post by ekid »

backpacker61 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:41 am The Army of the Potomac - trilogy by Bruce Catton

Albion's Seed - David Hackett Fischer - explores how American cultures came to be from four antecedent British regional subcultures
      Despite desultory searching for a decade I've not been able to find "Albion's Seed". (In a public library)
      rockstar

Post by rockstar »

If you like spy books, I recommend John LeCarre. Start with the Spy Who Came in From the Cold. It’s nice and short and will give you a good idea if you like the genre before committing to his longer books.
      Topic Author
      protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Wow, thanks everybody!!! Lots to choose from!!!
      backpacker61

Post by backpacker61 »

Also, if you like travel books, a fine one is

Blue Highways - by William Least Heat Moon
      “Now shall I walk or shall I ride? | 'Ride,' Pleasure said; | 'Walk,' Joy replied.” | | ― W.H. Davies
      Topic Author
      protagonist

Post by protagonist »

nisiprius wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:39 pm
      ]I'm reading The Power Broker and finding it readable and interesting. What's holding me up is not that it's 1200 pages, but that it's 1200 pages of fairly fine print and not available in eBook format. I
      I could get over the 1200 page hurdle , Nisi, BUT....

1200 pgs. of fine print and no available Kindle version ....that sounds like a Sisyphean feat. I'm so past enjoying holding a ten pound book while wearing reading glasses.......

It reminds me of when I decided to read all the James Joyce books, in order of difficulty, when I was in my youth. I really enjoyed the Dubliners and, if my memory serves me well, I sort of liked Portrait of the Artist as well.
      But about halfway through Ulysses, I asked myself two questions:
      1. Though it will take a fair amount of time and effort, could I finish the book and understand it? My conclusion was yes.
      2. Are there better and/or more pleasurable things I could be doing with my time? My conclusion was also yes.
      Thus I ended my exploration of Joyce halfway through Ulysses, and never made it to Finnegan's Wake.
      Prudence

Post by Prudence »

The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara
      An Army at Dawn by Rick Atkinson
      CWhea1775

Post by CWhea1775 »

Patrick O'Brian's nautical series starting with "Master and Commander"
      ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

rockstar wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:04 pm If you like spy books, I recommend John LeCarre. Start with the Spy Who Came in From the Cold. It’s nice and short and will give you a good idea if you like the genre before committing to his longer books.

This is also a very good movie!

with Richard Burton, Claire Bloom, Oskar Werner...

RM
      This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
      rockstar

Post by rockstar »

ResearchMed wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:17 pm
      rockstar wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:04 pm If you like spy books, I recommend John LeCarre. Start with the Spy Who Came in From the Cold. It’s nice and short and will give you a good idea if you like the genre before committing to his longer books.

This is also a very good movie!

with Richard Burton, Claire Bloom, Oskar Werner...

RM
      It’s available on Kanopy with a library card.
      michaelingp

Post by michaelingp »

The best book I've read recently is Michael Lewis' "Going Infinite: The Rise and Fall of a New Tycoon". This is a highly readable, rollicking view into one of the strangest characters in money-making scams. Don't expect to learn much about cybercoin technology, SBF didn't know much either!

My favorite book of all time is still, "A Fine Balance" by Rohinton Mistry. This sprawling novel set in India between independence and "The Emergency" examines the "fine line" between hope and despair, a line that I look for in all the great novels I read. Many of my friends disagree with me on this recommendation, finding the novel depressing and bleak, so be warned. However, every once in a while, in the book and in life, a crack opens in the heavens and justice streams through.
      mfswatz9

Post by mfswatz9 »

I have enjoyed all of Louise Penny's books. If you read them, I would suggest reading them in order.
      bagle

Post by bagle »

Some good choices here.

For me:

King Lear, William Shakespeare

Runner Up: Stalingrad, Antony Beevor
      Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

I'm just finishing this one now and would recommend. It is really eye opening.

From the write up in Wikipedia...

Ishmael is a 1992 philosophical novel by Daniel Quinn. The novel examines the hidden cultural biases driving modern civilization and explores themes of ethics, sustainability, and global catastrophe. Largely framed as a Socratic conversation between two characters, Ishmael aims to expose that several widely accepted assumptions of modern society, such as human supremacy, are actually cultural myths that produce catastrophic consequences for humankind and the environment. The novel was awarded the $500,000 Turner Tomorrow Fellowship Award in 1991, a year before its formal publication. The first-time award is for the best work of fiction set in the near future with the theme of insuring the survival and prosperity of life on the planet. More than 2,500 manuscripts were submitted from 58 countries.
      spencer99

Post by spencer99 »

CWhea1775 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:04 pm Patrick O'Brian's nautical series starting with "Master and Commander"
      Way, WAY up on the list of most enjoyable fiction series I've read.
      id0ntkn0wjack

Post by id0ntkn0wjack »

Between the World and Me by Ta-Anisie Coates.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/254 ... rld-and-me

So incredibly well written
      I moved 10% of my equities into BLV (Vanguard Long Term Bond ETF) in January 2021. Follow my advice at your own peril.
      Badinvestor

Post by Badinvestor »

A favorite history book: Henry Hodges, Technology in the Ancient World. Relatedly Carlo Cipolla's Industrial Revolution, particularly the chapter by Samuel Lilley.
      jayars35

Post by jayars35 »

I narrowed it down to two. I've reread both several times.

The Histories by Herodotus.

Recollections and Letters of General Robert E. Lee
      Coach
      MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb »

Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman
      Life After Life by Kate Atkinson
      11/22/63 by Stephen King
      Influence by Robert Cialdini
      The Liberation Trilogy by Rick Atkinson
      The Pacific War Trilogy by Ian Toll