Dishwasher - repair or buy new?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
goshenBogle

Dishwasher - repair or buy new?

Post by goshenBogle »

Our 12 year old Whirlpool dishwasher has a leak. Repair cost probably greater than $300 so thinking of buying a new dishwasher. We are looking at models from Bosch, Whirlpool, KitchenAid, Lg. But when reading reviews online, we are dismayed at what appears to be many people whose units had problems in the first few months such as: water leaks, dishes did not dry, dishes not clean, puddles on floor from the vents, did not work out of the box, etc.

A problem with looking at user reviews - the "many people" in the above paragraph - is that we do not know what percentage of new dishwashers have problems. All we see are the negative reviews which could be a very small percentage. Just don't know.

Comments on finding a quality dishwasher?
Or do you think repairing a 12 year old unit is the way to go?
Retired and loving it!!!!
jabberwockOG

Re: Dishwasher - repair or buy new?

Post by jabberwockOG »

A 12 year old dishwasher generally isn't worth repairing.

We bought and installed a new kitchenaide higher end dishwasher last Spring. It's been working flawlessly.

It has 3 racks that are actually usable (including the top rack) and as such it holds significantly more than another dishwasher we have ever had. Recommended.

Be careful who you have install your dishwasher - offers of free or low cost installation by the delivery truck guys are usually a bad plan - they are minimally skilled. A dishwasher install takes some skill and experience so that it works correctly, and is plumbed and wired to code, and looks right - plumb, level and square mounted in the cabinet face. Get a pro to do it right or you may end up with a rushed hack job.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/KitchenAid-44- ... 1001880876
Last edited by jabberwockOG on Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Time for a new one. Do a search in this section for dishwasher, there are many posts about which dishwasher to buy. There's really no reason to rehash what has already been suggested.

Spoiler alert, Bosch is the answer! ;)
Last edited by bob60014 on Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

Here's the most recent info from Yale appliance on dishwasher repair rates for the brands they sell and service:

https://blog.yaleappliance.com/most-rel ... ishwashers
aas

Post by aas »

I would not repair a 12 year old dishwasher unless the part needed is inexpensive and I can install it my self. I have a 4-5 year old Whirlpool dishwasher that so far has been good. I made sure I used flexible water hose not copper to connect to water valve to avoid leaks when moving dishwasher around for maintenance.
Horologium

Post by Horologium »

I like to read reviews, but take them with a grain of salt. By that I mean that a dissatisfied buyer is much more likely to vent his frustration to friends, family, and on the internet than a satisfied buyer.
runswithscissors

Post by runswithscissors »

From what I've read, heavy use modern dishwashers are expected to last 8-10 years. And light use 11-13 years. Consumer reports pegs a average lifespan at 10 years. Things don't last as long as they used to.
illumination

Post by illumination »

Buy a new one, easy answer.

I just had a repair person come to look at my washing machine, I violated my own rule of either you fix it yourself or buy a new one. I basically was charged $175 for them to tell me to buy a new washer. He said if he could get a hold of the part, it would be around $400 (I looked myself and that was an extreme mark up)I made a call to the appliance owner (since they quoted me half that to just give an assessment) and had them knock it down his $175 service call, but my experience is appliance repair places are just slimey in general and modern appliances are disposable. The owner literally said he gives a low estimate to get his guy in the door because otherwise nobody would use them.

I think the big exception is you have a high dollar appliance like a SubZero refrigerator and a new one cost like $14k, it's better to have it repaired, but after 10 years with most appliances, time to move on.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

a DW leak is usually major surgery, so woudl not even spend the ~$75 for repair person to give a diagnosis. Time to replace.
Jeepguy

Post by Jeepguy »

Like others are saying, skip repair and buy a new one. I would pass on extended warranty, in my experience most issues with appliances occur within the first year in which case you are covered by the manufacturers standard warranty.
MGBMartin

Post by MGBMartin »

I wouldn’t recommend fixing a dishwasher that old but have you diagnosed where the leak is coming from?
My last dishwasher started leaking and I was convinced it was from the main motor gasket until I pulled it out and removed the base cover then discovered the drain hose had split right where it connected to the main motor unit. That made sense as the hose had previously split on the opposite end; crappy hoses.
Bad spellers of the world untie | Autocorrect is my worst enema
Watty

Post by Watty »

Replace it. At 12 years old the rubber parts and hoses are getting old and even if you could fix this leak yourself there is a risk that it could leak and cause tens of thousands of dollars in water damage.
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

aas wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:55 am I would not repair a 12 year old dishwasher unless the part needed is inexpensive and I can install it my self.
This is pretty much my approach to most older appliance repairs. If there is an easily identified cause for failure and it is easy/relatively cheap for me to do the repair myself, I do it. If I have to call an appliance repair place then I'll likely just replace the unit unless it is fairly new/expensive.

Post by 123 »

When our dishwasher started to leak after 6 years I looked at some Youtube videos. I saw the the most likely source of a leak was something called a "diverter seal" and the Youtube video showed how easy it was to replace. Our dishwasher was a KitchenAid but the part was for KitchenAid and Whirlpool models so they undoubtedly use many, if not most, of the same parts. I got the part from Amazon in a couple of days for $10, installed it, and the dishwasher has been leak-free for a year so far.

At 12 years of age you'd be justified in getting a replacement. But when I experienced how easy it was to replace the diverter seal I was very aggravated with myself for not trying to fix on our predecessor dishwasher that likely had the same problem (same brand). Instead I had just went out and spend $900 on a replacement dishwasher and added 50 pounds of old dishwasher to landfill.

Of course, the leak in your machine might not be connected with the diverter seal.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

My recommendation is to buy a new, low cost, unsophisticated unit. The main thing you'll notice is that it's louder than a fancy unit, but I've never found dishwasher noise to be a major source of stress. I might spring for a fancy floor model if the discount is enough.

Quite a few dishwashers will be DOA or defective. This is true across brands and tiers. We aren't dealing with mission critical industrial equipment here.
bradinsky

Post by bradinsky »

Buy a Bosch. You will be very happy with their performance. I’ve installed them in our last two homes & highly recommend them. Our dishes & cookware always come out sparkling clean.
TheHiker

Post by TheHiker »

Depending on where it leaked, the repair may be as simple as DIY replacing the rubber gasket.
Modern dishwasher are energy and water efficient so they tend to no not clean/dry as well.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I used to design appliances for a living. Most, especially older models, are actually very simple machines and don't have a lot that can go wrong with them. Modern ones have a lot more sensors with a lot more options, and sensors tend to not have high life expectancies so that is why people tend to look as modern appliances not lasting as long as their older cousins. The forces that be however, want to sell more machines, and that usually means designing new machine to have more options to set us apart from competitors, which means more sensors and thus a making the lifecycles shorter all the time.

Having torn apart hundreds if not thousands of non-working machines, probably 95% of them can be returned to service with simple, cheap fixes. But this assumes that labor is not counted. For someone to call in a service rep to diagnose and replace said cheap part, the cost is often a significant chunk of the price of a new machine. Does this mean you should replace versus fix?

Like with automobiles, I take a more nuanced approach. Until the leak, was the dishwasher still meeting your expectations? Has it had a lot of issues in the past? This is an important question because if it has been reliable for all 12 years and there isn't obvious signs of future problems occurring, then even spending half the cost of a new one might be the better financial move if you can expect another decade of use out of it because it will have half the depreciation of a new one on a per annual basis.

From my perspective, people tire of the looks of their old dishwasher and just want a shiny new one full of menu options that 99% of the general public never use. That greatly influences decisions and beliefs that putting half the cost of a new machine into repairs is a losing proposition when it might not be the majority of the time. It is however a personal decision and I don't begrudge you or anyone who wants to junk a easily repairable machine and buy a new replacement. After all, the masses who have gone this route have bought me an early and very nice retirement.
Last edited by lthenderson on Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
psteinx

Post by psteinx »

I would not spend $300 repairing a 12 y.o. standard grade (Whirlpool) dishwasher. Buy a new one.
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

Google your model and symptoms (where the leak is, how much), and see if there is some easy DIY repair likely to fix. That's what I would do first.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Nephew had a new dishwasher from Lowe's. They would not install it since it was subfloor and not the kitchen floor. He did it himself, but perhaps ask that question. $300 is perhaps a minimal cost. I had repair to the refrigerator. $100 to come out to diagnose, $100+ for the part and install labour and another $100 trip charge for the install.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

TheHiker wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:34 pm Depending on where it leaked, the repair may be as simple as DIY replacing the rubber gasket.
Modern dishwasher are energy and water efficient so they tend to no not clean/dry as well.
Or even just cleaning the gasket faces.
Northern Flicker

Post by Northern Flicker »

Dishwashers have about a 12 year expected life. The $300 repair won't buy you continued usage commensurate with the cost, given the remaining expected life. A DIY repair is worth a look.

We recently had a water pump die on a Kitchenaid d/w at 13 years, but had to do a few simple DIY repairs to get to that point (such as new rack rollers and various plastic parts on the rack). The reliability rankings I've seen were:

1. Miele
2. Bosch
3. Kitchenaid
Last edited by Northern Flicker on Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

I bought a nice GE dishwasher 6 months ago and it working well with no problems. It is so quiet we cannot hear it running.
musicmom

Post by musicmom »

We replaced a supposedly top of the line 8yr old KitchenAid DW in our previous home with a Bosch. Mid range model, extremely quiet, glasses came out unbelievably clean.

Since then, installed another Bosch in our present home. Same excellent performance, 4 yrs in. Love the 3 drawers.

Son is enjoying his Bosch too.

No connection to Bosch appliances.☺️
michaelingp

Post by michaelingp »

goshenBogle wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:43 am Our 12 year old Whirlpool dishwasher has a leak. Repair cost probably greater than $300 so thinking of buying a new dishwasher. We are looking at models from Bosch, Whirlpool, KitchenAid, Lg. But when reading reviews online, we are dismayed at what appears to be many people whose units had problems in the first few months such as: water leaks, dishes did not dry, dishes not clean, puddles on floor from the vents, did not work out of the box, etc.
The only thing I would mention is that new dishwashers have really long wash cycles, at least a couple of hours, and according to the web, sometimes as long as 4 hours. Supposedly that's because they use so little water, but really, that's a long time if you're washing dishes after a party or something. I can't comment on repair vs new since I personally love doing appliance repairs. My GE dishwasher is 24 years old which actually kind of surprises even me.
Parkinglotracer

Post by Parkinglotracer »

It might be the drain hose … slide machine out and run it … see where it’s leaking … if it looks like a simple fix - do it .. you tube may help. If it looks complicated buy a Bosch … we have two they work great.

Www.ajmadison.com and www.abt.com are great places to shop.
Marylander1

Post by Marylander1 »

tetractys wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:57 pm
TheHiker wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:34 pm Depending on where it leaked, the repair may be as simple as DIY replacing the rubber gasket.
Or even just cleaning the gasket faces.
Yeah we've had that happen! Try cleaning the gasket all the way around. If something is blocking it, it might be a simple 5-minute do-it-yourself repair.

Our old Bosch water pump died during the height of the pandemic and with none available the sales guy convinced us to buy a Maytag. So far it's been reliable, and the racks have more height which is great. But the rack layout feels like a major throwback: all our dishes had fit nicely in the Bosch with little wasted space. In the Maytag our same dishes take up a LOT more room, so it holds a lot less.

Want our Maytag for free? We'll replace it with a Bosch now that they're available again.
Paullmas

Post by Paullmas »

Do you believe the quality of the build of your current unit is better or worse than a newer model?
As posted above, if it was working fine, is a simple model, why not attempt a fix.

I believe most newer appliances are built shoddy and irreparable. A copyrighted touch screen vs simply electro mechanically switches.

Story. Gas dryer went awry. A new control unit costs money. The sensor for water costs money. Setting a timer and just pressing "on" costs nothing. So a lot of choices are no longer available, but clothes still dry.
Paullmas

Post by Paullmas »

Do you believe the quality of the build of your current unit is better or worse than a newer model?
As posted above, if it was working fine, is a simple model, why not attempt a fix.

I believe most newer appliances are built shoddy and irreparable. A copyrighted touch screen vs simply electro mechanically switches.

Story. Gas dryer went awry. A new control unit costs money. The sensor for water costs money. Setting a timer and just pressing "on" costs nothing. So a lot of choices are no longer available, but clothes still dry.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

IMO, skipping a repair without determining what the repair is, is foolish. It could be a tiny leak needing a new clamp, or new hose. We have such a throwaway society.

Our washing machine was bought in 1999, so it was 24 years old when it developed a leak at the very end of the year. Did some research, discovered the pump that empties the tub was leaking. Part was $13.68 on Amazon. Also found the bleach dispenser cup was cracked, it was $10.59. So for $24.27 I now have a working washing machine. While we had it apart, cleaned some flaking rust off the underside of the cabinet, and painted it, so it wouldn't drop rust into the wash.

Our nearly 19 year old OTC microwave smoked, literally, in early December. Research told me likely a circuit board that costs more than a new microwave. Bought, and installed, a new microwave.

It is fairly easy to find the problem, and then determine if it is worth fixing.

Many of the new appliances are designed to use less energy, and a dishwasher can run for 3 hours...
Last edited by RickBoglehead on Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
Sunshine21

Post by Sunshine21 »

Personally I wouldn’t repair a 12 year old DW unless I could DIY
The new units are so much quieter, in 2021 bought a Kitchenaide stainless steel Printshield w top control panel. When first installed, the plumber and I couldn’t believe it was running , it was that silent. Have been very happy with it , inside 3 racks fits everything, zero problems with it, dishes are spotless.
MBB_Boy

Post by MBB_Boy »

Lol. Exact same happened to us 2 weeks ago, except ours was 7 years old. Whirlpool had a lawsuit for the cause of the leak (diverter seal, which you can not simply buy anymore after they discontinued).

We were quoted $360 for repair (have to buy full motor assembly), so now we have a Bosch 500 series. Big upgrade over what we had
deikel

Post by deikel »

Just be careful what new dishwasher you buy. With the introduction of energy efficiency and water savings, the 'new' generation of dishwashers have more complicated design and hence they fail more then they used to

I have personally gone through 3 or 4 dishwashers in the last couple of years, from expensive to cheap with no rhyme or reason to me. I just accepted the fact that I would have to exchange every two years, I made the power and water connection super easy, I have a dolly and I can pull out the unit and replace with the new one in 20 min tops....and then something funny happened:

My current Bosch works like a charm ever since I found this one (I had a Bosch before that failed just like the rest, so its not just the brand). This one also has a 30 min program that works really really well - we use nothing else anymore....its like we found a system that actually works like the old ones and are intentionally not using the rubbish programs to sanitize, safe water or energy.

You can try reviews, you can try consumer reports, my feel is that its just a crap shoot.

Don't bother with repair, its 1/3-1/2 of a new one and yours is 12 years old. Don't bother with extended warranties, the time you wait for them to show up or repair or replace is maddening - just go with a replace on fail - its a lot less stressful and the local appliance guy (or Home Depot/Lowes) deliver within 48h and take the old one away.
Everything you read in this post is my personal opinion. If you disagree with this disclaimer, please un-read the text immediately and destroy any copy or remembrance of it.
snic

Post by snic »

goshenBogle wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:43 am Our 12 year old Whirlpool dishwasher has a leak. Repair cost probably greater than $300
If it cleans dishes well, fix it yourself and save the $300. It could be something as trivial as a new door gasket, which is $50-$100 - and if you have two hands and one hour, you can do it yourself. Do some research and get your hands dirty. And when you've done it, you will feel an incomparable sense of satisfaction and accomplishment even if you can easily afford a new dishwasher.
wilked

Post by wilked »

It should only cost you an hour or two at most to pull the unit out and run a cycle while you watch it. Start there and report back
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Big Dog wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:23 am a DW leak is usually major surgery, so woudl not even spend the ~$75 for repair person to give a diagnosis. Time to replace.
Not my admittedly limited experience. Have repaired 3 dishwashers over the years, including 2 leaks. One leak was at a solenoid that was easy to replace and maybe $25. That was the expensive repair. The other was tightening a hose clamp that had lossened over the years.
Frugal Al

Post by Frugal Al »

Regarding “free” installation, I purchased a KitchenAid dw from Best Buy with a free install promo—normally I’d just do it myself. After about 3 years there was a preemptive leak repair program initiated under warranty because of corrosion to the brass heating element mounting surfaces. As it turns out, the installer (whom I tipped generously) used uncommon SECURITY screws to attach the unit to the cabinetry. Two different repairmen were unable to do the repair and I’ve been unable to identify the proper security bit. Lesson learned—beware “free” install deals.
Jeepergeo

Post by Jeepergeo »

Your current DW has reached its useful life. If you fix it, be prepared to fix it again when something else wears out. Repeat as needed with increasing frequency.

We replaced our DW with a KitchenAid and have had no issues with it in the two years of use. It is very quiet and can only be heard if standing in the kitchen and listening carefully from a foot or two away. It performs much better than the Whirlpool it replaced, particularly in terms of sound and drying, and it cleans well. The cycles last longer on the KitchenAid compared to the replaced Whirlpool, but that is not an issue for us.
zlandar

Post by zlandar »

At 12 years and $300 not worth fixing.

I have a Bosch from Lowe’s. The first unit was a broken dud. Lowe sent out a replacement identical model and it has worked fine for 7 years. Only issue is the plastic handle cracked. Ordered a replacement handle from Bosch and fixed it myself.
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

deikel wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:40 am
My current Bosch works like a charm ever since I found this one (I had a Bosch before that failed just like the rest, so its not just the brand). This one also has a 30 min program that works really really well - we use nothing else anymore....its like we found a system that actually works like the old ones and are intentionally not using the rubbish programs to sanitize, safe water or energy.
We have a Bosch which has a "quick" 60 min program. I'll run that the next time to see if there is anything noticably different - my guess will be the dishes won't be as dry. We shall see.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

zlandar wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:55 am At 12 years and $300 not worth fixing.

I have a Bosch from Lowe’s. The first unit was a broken dud. Lowe sent out a replacement identical model and it has worked fine for 7 years. Only issue is the plastic handle cracked. Ordered a replacement handle from Bosch and fixed it myself.
+1 We have a 13yr old GE dishwasher that just kicked the bucket. We previously made a simple repair that cost us ~$25 and an hour of Youtube, but this seems like a more serious issue. With repair close to half the cost of replacing it with a new unit (we have a quote to replace ours with a similar unit for ~$700 all in), doesn't seem worth it. This seems to be about the normal lifecycle of current units.
illumination

Post by illumination »

RickBoglehead wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:56 am IMO, skipping a repair without determining what the repair is, is foolish. It could be a tiny leak needing a new clamp, or new hose. We have such a throwaway society.
I would agree, but not everyone is a DIY'er. I think the issue is, paying someone to tell you what's wrong is unfortunately not free. I would probably pull the dishwasher out and see what's going on. Very well could be a $10 hose, but most people I know don't feel comfortable with that work of pulling a dishwasher out. Dishwashers in my experience are the appliance that seem to have the shortest life anyway, maybe I have just had bad luck. If you got 12 years and it's a relatively inexpensive dishwasher like Whirlpool, I wouldn't even bother to pay someone to troubleshoot it.

Labor is expensive, appliances are mostly disposable junk now and I have never had a "good" appliance repair tech.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

illumination wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:56 am
RickBoglehead wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:56 am IMO, skipping a repair without determining what the repair is, is foolish. It could be a tiny leak needing a new clamp, or new hose. We have such a throwaway society.
I would agree, but not everyone is a DIY'er. I think the issue is, paying someone to tell you what's wrong is unfortunately not free. I would probably pull the dishwasher out and see what's going on. Very well could be a $10 hose, but most people I know don't feel comfortable with that work of pulling a dishwasher out. Dishwashers in my experience are the appliance that seem to have the shortest life anyway, maybe I have just had bad luck. If you got 12 years and it's a relatively inexpensive dishwasher like Whirlpool, I wouldn't even bother to pay someone to troubleshoot it.

Labor is expensive, appliances are mostly disposable junk now and I have never had a "good" appliance repair tech.
Totally agree, but too many can't be bothered to investigate (they don't know they can't fix it until they investigate) due to our throwaway mindset.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
beernutz

Post by beernutz »

I just repaired our 5 1/2 year old Whirlpool dishwasher by replacing the control board. The dishwasher had stopped responding to any control panel touches and web searching revealed that the control boards on these dishwashers commonly stop working.

Luckily Amazon had the control board I needed in stock and it was $50 less than a local appliance repair shop wanted for the part not to mention theirs wasn't in stock and was subject to a 25% restocking fee if returned.

Control board and control panel replacements are in my wheelhouse however a leaking dishwasher would almost certainly be a replacement situation.

A similar situation occurred with our LG refrigerator as a few years ago it stopped cooling but I was able to fix it with a new thermostat from Amazon. However later when water started collecting and freezing in the bottom freezer then eventually would spill out onto the kitchen floor it took a repair person who specialized in LG appliances to do the repair for about $150. If the repair had not taken we'd have replaced the fridge even though it was less than 10 years old.
AA: 30/55/15 - equities/positive return-zero volatility/bonds
illumination

Post by illumination »

beernutz wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:20 pm I just repaired our 5 1/2 year old Whirlpool dishwasher by replacing the control board. The dishwasher had stopped responding to any control panel touches and web searching revealed that the control boards on these dishwashers commonly stop working.
I've replaced several dishwasher control boards. What is the deal with that? I would honestly think that is the last part to go out. Is it just the environment its placed in? It seems to be the #1 repair for modern appliances.

I heard in the 2000's, there was supposedly some industrial espionage with China that resulted in widespread manufacturing of capacitors being defective. Not sure if this just took out a lot of appliance control boards and it just took some time?
beernutz

Post by beernutz »

illumination wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:28 pm
beernutz wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:20 pm I just repaired our 5 1/2 year old Whirlpool dishwasher by replacing the control board. The dishwasher had stopped responding to any control panel touches and web searching revealed that the control boards on these dishwashers commonly stop working.
I've replaced several dishwasher control boards. What is the deal with that? I would honestly think that is the last part to go out. Is it just the environment its placed in? It seems to be the #1 repair for modern appliances.

I heard in the 2000's, there was supposedly some industrial espionage with China that resulted in widespread manufacturing of capacitors being defective. Not sure if this just took out a lot of appliance control boards and it just took some time?
The damp/wet environment along with inadequate water sealing was speculated as the main culprit on the repair forums I read. However when I took off the door plate to get at the control board for the first time everything in the door seemed to be dry.

This was my first dishwasher control board replacement thankfully. Our previous Bosch lasted over 10 years and when it stopped responding I didn't even attempt to fix it I just ordered a new one that was on sale from Lowes.
AA: 30/55/15 - equities/positive return-zero volatility/bonds
wilked

Post by wilked »

beernutz wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:20 pm
Control board and control panel replacements are in my wheelhouse however a leaking dishwasher would almost certainly be a replacement situation.
As noted above though it could be as simple as turning a screw on an hose clamp connecting a drain hose.

If you visually looked and saw a leak coming from a pump casing - ok, maybe time to replace. But to declare replacement the only option without looking to see what's dripping, that seems extreme
gatorking

Post by gatorking »

I managed to repair a 12 year old leaking dishwasher by replacing the water inlet valve - $20 for replacement part and $10 for a new stainless braided hose. Took about 2 hrs to replace.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B3C ... UTF8&psc=1
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

Random Musings wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:17 am
deikel wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:40 am
We have a Bosch which has a "quick" 60 min program. I'll run that the next time to see if there is anything noticably different - my guess will be the dishes won't be as dry. We shall see.

RM
Those shorter cycles generally use more water and energy than the regular cycle. That said, they are super convenient when time is short.