Gift ideas for retiring male doctor? (PCP)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
WillRetire

Gift ideas for retiring male doctor? (PCP)

Post by WillRetire »

He's around 65, a great primary care physician. I do not know him socially, but know that he loves dogs and sailing. I expect he will receive loads of gifts from his hundreds/thousands of patients.

Any ideas?

Amazon has a lot of mugs & tumblers with the sentiment:
A truly great doctor is hard to find, difficult to part with, and impossible to forget
A perfect sentiment for how I feel about him. But maybe a lot of his other patients will buy those too and he'll end up with 100 of them!

Another thought: A card with a handwritten note expressing my gratitude.

Appreciate new and thoughtful ideas. Thanks in advance.
stan1

Re: Gift ideas for retiring male doctor? (PCP)

Post by stan1 »

WillRetire wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:22 am Another thought: A card with a handwritten note expressing my gratitude.
I think this alone is sufficient, and more than he will get from most patients. Adding in a bottle of wine or scotch is safe unless you know he does not drink. If you or spouse is a woodworker or baker those are some easy skills to apply to a gift in a situation like this.
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

I’d go with
No one needs another mug or small gift but sincere appreciation well expressed would mean far more.

Cheers
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Silk McCue wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:30 am I’d go with
No one needs another mug or small gift but sincere appreciation well expressed would mean far more.

Cheers
+1
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
camden

Post by camden »

Another vote for the card and note. Tell him why you are sending it, and what he has done to deserve your appreciation. To be thanked for your efforts is worth its weight in gold. No matter how many cards he receives, yours will always be unique, and he may not receive nearly as many as you might think.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

WillRetire wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:22 am Appreciate new and thoughtful ideas.
My physician spouse isn't retired but we get lots of gifts every year. Most are re-gifted or donated as we have everything we need already. Even the food gifts are often taken to other social occasions we are invited too.

Like others, a nice card/letter expressing your sincere gratitude is probably the most appreciated and sure to bring a smile to the retired physician's face. Though even the card will be tossed in the trash later that evening.
Topic Author
WillRetire

Post by WillRetire »

camden wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:37 pm Another vote for the card and note. Tell him why you are sending it, and what he has done to deserve your appreciation. To be thanked for your efforts is worth its weight in gold. No matter how many cards he receives, yours will always be unique, and he may not receive nearly as many as you might think.
This is very helpful. Thanks very much.
LilyanaCantrell

Post by LilyanaCantrell »

A heartfelt handwritten note is always special, to be fair, so you can't go wrong with that. Considering his interest in sailing, you could look for a high-quality nautical compass or a detailed map of a region he enjoys sailing - they're not very expensive to get but might take a bit of looking around for.
Also, and I really think this works for certain types of people (like most of my coworkers and myself), but I've been gifting mini-block figurines to friends lately, which I've found in a shop for unique couple gifts https://giftedstories.com/collections/c ... ini-blocks . They're basically figurines OF these people, which is a really cool thing to receive, especially for professionals like doctors.
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

LilyanaCantrell wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 2:23 am Also, and I really think this works for certain types of people (like most of my coworkers and myself), but I've been gifting mini-block figurines to friends lately, which I've found in a shop for unique couple gifts https://giftedstories.com/collections/c ... ini-blocks . They're basically figurines OF these people, which is a really cool thing to receive, especially for professionals like doctors.
Another vote for a personal note.

While those figures are cute, I would never get them for someone I didn't know well.
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

The special gift I've given to a number of close friends who have retired is a ukulele.

It's different, it's as affordable as you'd like. One way to purchase is to go to a local music store and ask for advice.
Another is to go to Amazon and browse.

Here's one I've given: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073Q ... UTF8&psc=1

Here's another:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088G ... UTF8&psc=1
(Both are under $80)

The ukulele is affordable, accessible, fun, and the average person can be up and playing in a relatively short time.

One further note: My experience is that most physicians have a tough transition to a non-working life. Music can be an endless source of joy and learning.
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche
Horologium

Post by Horologium »

WillRetire wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:22 am
I think a card is a great idea, with maybe a bottle of wine or a gift card.
KneePartsPro

Post by KneePartsPro »

WillRetire wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:22 am

A card with a handwritten note expressing my gratitude.

^ This. And instead of expressing general gratitude give an example of how they contributed to the quality of your life that they would otherwise have no idea of.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Jazztonight wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 11:46 am The special gift I've given to a number of close friends who have retired is a ukulele.

It's different, it's as affordable as you'd like. One way to purchase is to go to a local music store and ask for advice.
Another is to go to Amazon and browse.

Here's one I've given: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073Q ... UTF8&psc=1

Here's another:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088G ... UTF8&psc=1
(Both are under $80)

The ukulele is affordable, accessible, fun, and the average person can be up and playing in a relatively short time.

One further note: My experience is that most physicians have a tough transition to a non-working life. Music can be an endless source of joy and learning.
Great idea.

As a "Hawaiian" with a formerly large ukulele collection, I've gifted a number of them over the years, from mid to mid/pricey. The "Kala" brand on Amazon is an excellent value for reliable quality workmanship, and sound. Also "koa" brand.
Higher in price, "Cordoba".

Have then strumming away and singing "Tiny Bubbles" and "Aloha Oe" in no time. :D :D
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Topic Author
WillRetire

Post by WillRetire »

Thanks everyone. I gave him a card w/a personal handwritten note inside expressing my gratitude for the care he gave me. Plus a gift basket (modest size). He seemed touched by the attention and gave me a hug(!)

Thank you very much for the wonderful suggestions in this thread!