Apple Watch Questions

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
grtwallchina75

Apple Watch Questions

Post by grtwallchina75 »

Hi All,

I'm planning to buy an Apple watch today from Costco. My main goal is to track sleep stages which the phone cant track precisely. I'm going through rough times with sleep and I do use a CPAP machine for my sleep apneia. Costco is offering some discounts until this weekend.

Which module should I buy ?

Watch SE2 - $200 at costco

Watch 9th Gen - 329 at costco

9th gen is 129 $ more but all i need to do is sleep stage monitor and steps/walking monitor. Any reason to buy 9th gen ? Is the 9th gen Oxygen and ECG even helpful ?

I'd appreciate some insights from the iWatch Apple users

thanks again,
Rex66

Re: Apple Watch Questions

Post by Rex66 »

I haven’t looked into this too deeply but I’m not sure why you don’t value the oxygen sat for your intended use
mrb09

Post by mrb09 »

grtwallchina75 wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:07 pm Hi All,

I'm planning to buy an Apple watch today from Costco. My main goal is to track sleep stages which the phone cant track precisely. I'm going through rough times with sleep and I do use a CPAP machine for my sleep apneia. Costco is offering some discounts until this weekend.

9th gen is 129 $ more but all i need to do is sleep stage monitor and steps/walking monitor. Any reason to buy 9th gen ? Is the 9th gen Oxygen and ECG even helpful ?

thanks again,
I went from an original SE to a 9th Generation, and both the display and speed (especially for Siri) was a significant improvement. The 9th gen also has a fast charge mode, which might be useful if you don't slow charge at night (since you'll be wearing the watch).

My wife had a health emergency last year, and her 8th gen watch had a ECG history which the physician checked as part of the care, that's not available on the SE.
yatesd

Post by yatesd »

I think you will benefit from either one if you own an iPhone.

Only one word of caution. There are rumors that in less than a year there will be a version targeting this requirement.

https://www.macrumors.com/2023/12/17/ap ... -features/
Topic Author
grtwallchina75

Post by grtwallchina75 »

yatesd wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:52 pm I think you will benefit from either one if you own an iPhone.

Only one word of caution. There are rumors that in less than a year there will be a version targeting this requirement.

https://www.macrumors.com/2023/12/17/ap ... -features/
Thank you for this caution, i was not aware of this, i am hoping when model series 10 comes out, i might trade in at Costco with lower gen models. But i am sure, it will be expensive.
anonenigma

Post by anonenigma »

I have the 8, but one useful feature for older users is fall detection. I don't think that the SE has that.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

anonenigma wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 3:34 pm I have the 8, but one useful feature for older users is fall detection. I don't think that the SE has that.
The SE 2 does have fall detection. It doesn’t have the ECG or O2 sensors that the 9 has.

I have an 8 and my wife has the SE 2. The ECG sensor has been useful a couple of times when I had to go to the emergency room (but I already had known health problems). The O2 sensor doesn’t work as well as the cheap one i got on Amazon. Wife and I both play sports, and we had to turn the fall detection off, because it would go off in the middle of the game. In normal usage, it works fine, though.

Anyway, OP, if the SE 2 has the features you want, it’s probably the one to get, especially if you’re going to upgrade in a year.
AllMostThere

Post by AllMostThere »

I was a longtime user of an older Series 2 version of the Apple Watch. Really liked it and it gave really good feedback on activity levels. Something to consider is that the Apple Watch requires "daily" charging, so not sure how this will fit in with your intended sleep time monitoring. I would charge at night. In my quest to get out of the Apple ecosystem (too expensive IMHO), I went to a Garmin tracking watch as it only requires monthly charging. IMHO, the Garmin display is dim and hard to read (nearly impossible at night in bed) and the amount of activity feedback is nowhere a good as the Apple Watch. I may be looking for another alternative in the future. Apple Watch is probably superior, but the daily charging and expensive Apple Ecosystem (I'm still rocking an iPhone 7) is a huge consideration.
It is not about how much you make; it is about how much you keep and how well you invest it. - Author Unknown | Dream as if you’ll live forever. Live as if you’ll die today. - Author James Dean
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

grtwallchina75 wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:07 pm My main goal is to track sleep stages which the phone cant track precisely. I'm going through rough times with sleep and I do use a CPAP machine for my sleep apneia.
My understanding is that the Apple Watch (and really any of these fitness watches) are basically guessing at your sleep stages. They are not that accurate because you can only glean so much data from the sensors on a small watch that reads data from your wrist. In addition, the "data" from different watches can vary widely.

If you are having sleep issues, and want real data, consider a true sleep study. That will give you the most accurate information.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

AllMostThere wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:09 pm Something to consider is that the Apple Watch requires "daily" charging, so not sure how this will fit in with your intended sleep time monitoring. I would charge at night.
This is true, it needs to be charged every day or two, but if you charge every day, charging only takes about 45 minutes. When I was wearing my watch to bed, I would stick it on the charger when I got up, and it would be ready by the time I finished eating breakfast and was getting dressed.
Alfonsia

Post by Alfonsia »

Sleep and Spo2 on these devices are not to be considered reliable date, what makes you think a smart watch tells you anything actionable?
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Get the latest version because eventually older versions are not supported. Also, all the health applications on latest versions can help you in ways that you may not fully appreciate it, until you do.
mrb09

Post by mrb09 »

quantAndHold wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:05 pm
AllMostThere wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:09 pm Something to consider is that the Apple Watch requires "daily" charging, so not sure how this will fit in with your intended sleep time monitoring. I would charge at night.
This is true, it needs to be charged every day or two, but if you charge every day, charging only takes about 45 minutes. When I was wearing my watch to bed, I would stick it on the charger when I got up, and it would be ready by the time I finished eating breakfast and was getting dressed.
Note that the 9th gen can use a “fast” charge from an appropriate USB-C connection, but the SE can’t. Apple has two wireless chargers, the one with the USB-A connection will charge all watches at the slower rate, the one with the USB-C connection will charge old watches at the slower rate, and newer watches at the fast rate.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

thanks again,
I would get the 9th gen. I would also get the one with phone capability. To use have it for emergency (walking without a phone). The majoe cell carriers let you add it for $10 a month.
OnlyBugs

Post by OnlyBugs »

Oura has better sleep tracking and better battery life.
It may be better suited to the purpose.
https://ouraring.com/oura-experience
https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/revi ... p-tracker/
Last edited by OnlyBugs on Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zie

Post by zie »

Dottie57 wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:08 pm

thanks again,
I would get the 9th gen. I would also get the one with phone capability. To use have it for emergency (walking without a phone). The majoe cell carriers let you add it for $10 a month.
Just to add a bit of detail, you don't need a cell plan for the watch to make 911 calls over cellular(though you do need the cellular watch version obviously). It just takes a bit longer, since it has to search for a carrier to take the 911 call. For $10/mo it's probably not worth the hassle of not just paying so it can make calls quickly, and gives you the ability to call other people besides 911, in case it's only a minor emergency that doesn't require ambulances and what not.

With the GPS model, it can still initiate a call to 911, but it needs your iPhone nearby to do that, since it's the phone that ends up making the call.

If you plan on upgrading in a year for the newer model, the SE is probably the right choice. If you are going to keep it a while, then the 9 is probably the right choice. If you want a long battery life, the Apple Watch Ultra can give you a few days, it just depends on how often you use it, but some people manage to go a full weekend for instance.

Have fun with your new watch OP.
Whether rich or poor, a young woman should know how a bank account works, understand the composition of mortgages and bonds, and know the value of interest and how it accumulates. -Hetty Green
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

thanks again,
The iwatch has tremendous utility with or without standalone cell phone capability.

Pulse and ox sat monitoring are very helpful particularly for those with potential sleep/breathing issues.

The ECG function could save your life.

Is those features worth extra $129 over maybe 4-5 years of ownership? - up to you.
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

The EKG function is very accurate. My mom has Afib and her watch can identify when she is in Afib as well as when things settle down. She really likes this feature.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
TheDogFather

Post by TheDogFather »

Ask your doctor if they think the watch will give you any useful data. And based on what the watch tells you on sleep stages for example, what do you think will be actionable.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

zie wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:18 pm

thanks again,
Just to add a bit of detail, you don't need a cell plan for the watch to make 911 calls over cellular(though you do need the cellular watch version obviously). It just takes a bit longer, since it has to search for a carrier to take the 911 call. For $10/mo it's probably not worth the hassle of not just paying so it can make calls quickly, and gives you the ability to call other people besides 911, in case it's only a minor emergency that doesn't require ambulances and what not.

With the GPS model, it can still initiate a call to 911, but it needs your iPhone nearby to do that, since it's the phone that ends up making the call.

If you plan on upgrading in a year for the newer model, the SE is probably the right choice. If you are going to keep it a while, then the 9 is probably the right choice. If you want a long battery life, the Apple Watch Ultra can give you a few days, it just depends on how often you use it, but some people manage to go a full weekend for instance.

I had a real emergency this year. I was lucky that i finally got access to my iPad and got hold of family to help get me get emergency help. If I had been wearing an apple watch with cell capability I would have been so much better off.
zie

Post by zie »

Dottie57 wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:48 pm
zie wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:18 pm

thanks again,

I had a real emergency this year. I was lucky that i finally got access to my iPad and got hold of family to help get me get emergency help. If I had been wearing an apple watch with cell capability I would have been so much better off.
Real emergencies are always scary. I'm glad it all worked out! I agree the Apple Watch would have made calling 911 a lot easier for you. They are pretty amazing devices and nobody else really even competes with them right now. They are the most popular watch by a wide margin, not even smart watch, just any watch.
Whether rich or poor, a young woman should know how a bank account works, understand the composition of mortgages and bonds, and know the value of interest and how it accumulates. -Hetty Green
Topic Author
grtwallchina75

Post by grtwallchina75 »

NYCaviator wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:40 pm
grtwallchina75 wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:07 pm My main goal is to track sleep stages which the phone cant track precisely. I'm going through rough times with sleep and I do use a CPAP machine for my sleep apneia.
My understanding is that the Apple Watch (and really any of these fitness watches) are basically guessing at your sleep stages. They are not that accurate because you can only glean so much data from the sensors on a small watch that reads data from your wrist. In addition, the "data" from different watches can vary widely.

If you are having sleep issues, and want real data, consider a true sleep study. That will give you the most accurate information.
Thanks, I have home sleep study completed and diag with sleep apnea and recently did a in-hospital sleep study as well, i do use CPAP machine but it doesnt show the sleep stages just apneas, i am hoping my apple watch will give some insights of sleep stages, tonight is going to be my first night, i will post an update tomorrow, thanks again for your reply,
Topic Author
grtwallchina75

Post by grtwallchina75 »

OP here

I bought today the Apple watch SE and now i regret that why i didnot buy the Gen 9 with O2 and ecg.

My goal is to check sleep patterns and i will post tomorrow, good night all.
kenai

Post by kenai »

grtwallchina75 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:14 am OP here

I bought today the Apple watch SE and now i regret that why i didnot buy the Gen 9 with O2 and ecg.

You should be able to return it and get the model that you want.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

grtwallchina75 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:14 am OP here

If you bought ar Costco, you can return it and get what you want.
mnsportsgeek

Post by mnsportsgeek »

thanks again,
90% of customers will be just fine with the SE. If you value the additional sensors and always on display then pay up for the 9th gen.
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

If you want the Series 9, buy it now since it may not be sold for a while after 12/25 because of a patent dispute.

https://techcrunch.com/2023/12/18/apple ... t-dispute/
Circe

Post by Circe »

WSJ headline:
Apple to Halt Watch Sales as It Prepares to Comply With U.S. Import Ban
The ban stems from a federal trade ruling over a blood-oxygen sensor on some versions of the device.
Lou Sevens

Post by Lou Sevens »

I was able to make a profit off of some baseball playoff tickets for games I couldn't attend and used it for the Apple Ultra (includes cellular. )
I wouldn't argue it is priced high but the battery life is superior and it has the cellular built in which for me is worth it when I have to move to a different area of my office building and don't always take a phone.
My prior watch was a SE and I enjoyed it so much amazon let me exchange it at the time for the 6.
If you are going to buy a 9 with cellular at that point although significant, the margin between that and the Ultra isn't as huge.
Doctor Rhythm

Post by Doctor Rhythm »

This is drifting into medical advice if you’re asking about the effectiveness of an Apple Watch in monitoring your health problem. What has the pulmonolist/sleep medicine provider recommended?
drumrush

Post by drumrush »

I was in a similar position recently and decided to go with a FitBit solely for the battery life.

I generally prefer everything else about the Apple Watch, but its battery life makes it really difficult to track both steps and sleep, as it needs to charge for 1-2 hours per day. I'm sure most days I could fit that in, but I didn't want to miss out on data during periods where I'm not following a routine. Garmin is an option, too and Apple will be more expensive than either.

Something to consider.
Topic Author
grtwallchina75

Post by grtwallchina75 »

Everyone

I'm liking my Apple watch SE 2

However, I'm planning to go to costco today to return this and get a Gen 9 for additional 139 dollar

Does the oxygen tracking works in the night too ?

I'm not sure of EKG vs real doctor's office EKG we get.

thanks everyone. it really helped my decision.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

grtwallchina75 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:35 pm Everyone

I'm liking my Apple watch SE 2

However, I'm planning to go to costco today to return this and get a Gen 9 for additional 139 dollar

Does the oxygen tracking works in the night too ?

I'm not sure of EKG vs real doctor's office EKG we get.

thanks everyone. it really helped my decision.
Move fast, Apple has removed the 9s from sale in their stores due to patent infringement claims related to the blood oxygen sensor. I expect the 9s will disappear soon from other retailers as they sell out or Apple requests other retailers stop selling them.

https://9to5mac.com/2023/12/18/apple-ha ... a-2-sales/
tev9876

Post by tev9876 »

Watches are not accurate for figuring out sleep stages. The only way to do that is with an in-lab sleep study where they wire you up and monitor brain activity in addition to heart rate and breathing. At home sleep studies guess based on your breathing pattern and heart rate. Best a watch can know is your heart rate and how much you are moving around. O2 measurement is also not that accurate and can vary significantly based on how tight the watch is to your wrist.

I started on CPAP about 10 months ago. I already had a Samsung watch and it would measure drops down to around 80% prior to going on CPAP. That was also confirmed by a home sleep study. After I started CPAP the drops appeared less frequently, but there was no way to know if it was a bad reading or actual low O2 levels.

Eventually I started to obsess with the numbers and would check my watch if I happened to wake up, which just made me more awake. I finally realized the watch was making my sleep worse, in addition to getting used to a mask strapped to my face, and stopped wearing it at night.

Your CPAP machine can probably tell you much more than a watch will. If you have a Resmed or Philips machine with a SD card slot you can analyze your sleep breath by breath. There is a free open source software called OSCAR that will copy the data from the SD card to a laptop and show you every breath you took. It shows apnea events, leak rates, flow rates and tons of other data. I, like many, was written a prescription for an auto-pap where the machine senses when you stop breathing and increases the pressure to counter them. I found the default pressure range of 4-20 started way too low and I would struggle to breathe in. Upping the lower limit to 10 took care of that. I also found if it ramped up over 15 it would cause mask leaks that would wake me up. My range is now set at 10-14 and other than getting tangled in the hose on occasions I tend to forget I even have it on. That range keeps my events under one per hour. I don't even pay attention to the Resmed phone app that gives me a sleep score since how I feel on a day to day basis is the most important measurement.

Since medical advice is not allowed here you can check out apneaboard or the reddit sleep apnea sub if you want to learn how to tweak your CPAP for better sleep. Those will also point you to information on OSCAR.
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

op

I use Resmed CPAP Airsense 11 and their software app links up with Iphone Health app and copies the data from CPAP sleep to awake times daily.

I am not using an Apple watch for these sleep records.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

retire2022 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:49 pm op

I use Resmed CPAP Airsense 11 and their software app links up with Iphone Health app and copies the data from CPAP sleep to awake times daily.

I am not using an Apple watch for these sleep records.
Hi retire2022 -

An interesting technology for sure. I was not aware that this existed.

Hope you are well.
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Topic Author
grtwallchina75

Post by grtwallchina75 »

I tried to link Resmed CPAP 11 but I dont see my cpap in iPhone - unsure why. i allowed all data access in my iphone.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

I haven't tried to use the watch for anything sleep related. While it is definitely a luxury expense, I've slowly grown to become more dependent on the watch for exercise. My wife has had one for 6+ years and used it often just to find her iphone but she also liked the motivational aspect of the watch getting her to do her "steps" and exercise challenges with family members.

Since we've gotten a bit settled in our new house and have a gym set up, I've been using it to track my walks and my exercise. Besides tracking the steps/calories burned, I like seeing how my heart rate fluctuates. I haven't gotten around to spending the money but I'd really like to get a blood pressure device so that it logs into Apple's health app. Right now I'm usually too lazy to write down the BP readings and/or lose my scratch paper.

I'm not sure how accurate any of it is, but I figure it gives you a rough idea of how things are going. In my case if I see my heart rate getting to certain levels I back off a bit of the exercise and let things settle down before moving on. A BP monitor in the watch would be great IMO.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

grtwallchina75 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:20 pm I tried to link Resmed CPAP 11 but I dont see my cpap in iPhone - unsure why. i allowed all data access in my iphone.
While using Resmed app, "myair" downloaded from apple app store, you then need to enable the Bluetooth pairing.

see instructions

https://cpapmyway.com/blog/connect-airs ... connection.
Claudia Whitten

Post by Claudia Whitten »

Did you buy it an do you use it?

Friend of mine bought it and found it bombarded her with completely stupid, useless information and notifications that were not distinguishable by sound. And oh, yeah: as soon as you get it, you realize all the extra money you can spend on this app and that watch band. She felt trapped by the stupid thing and returned it before 2 weeks was up. To me, it looks like true freedom is not wearing a watch at all, much less one made by Apple designed to sell you more stuff.

I watched the whole experience. The watch looks like a solution looking for a problem--many problems, actually, and none of them exist.

To think that we were all born and that many of us lived multiple decades without knowing our heart rates! How did we survive?

Apple watch = waste of money and, more importantly, sanity. That thing would surely make my blood pressure rise with the knowledge that I had been sucked in by Apple's marketing machine. At least I could track the heart rate, though!

:annoyed
cs412a

Post by cs412a »

Claudia Whitten wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:52 am Did you buy it an do you use it?

Friend of mine bought it and found it bombarded her with completely stupid, useless information and notifications that were not distinguishable by sound. And oh, yeah: as soon as you get it, you realize all the extra money you can spend on this app and that watch band. She felt trapped by the stupid thing and returned it before 2 weeks was up. To me, it looks like true freedom is not wearing a watch at all, much less one made by Apple designed to sell you more stuff.

I watched the whole experience. The watch looks like a solution looking for a problem--many problems, actually, and none of them exist.

To think that we were all born and that many of us lived multiple decades without knowing our heart rates! How did we survive?

Apple watch = waste of money and, more importantly, sanity. That thing would surely make my blood pressure rise with the knowledge that I had been sucked in by Apple's marketing machine. At least I could track the heart rate, though!

I have a smart watch (not an Apple watch which requires an iPhone) but have none of the problems you mentioned because I set my watch to only include the functions I want. I like being able to track my steps and will check my heart rate while exercising. I don’t want my health information on the internet, so I don’t log into the Fitbit app.

As an older person who lives alone, the function most important to me is fall detection and notification of emergency services.

Chacun à son goût.
lvswts

Post by lvswts »

Claudia Whitten wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:52 am Did you buy it an do you use it?

Clearly you and your friend are not good candidates for a Apple watch. I however love mine. I suspect you occasionally check your investments to see how you are progressing towards your goal. I'm sure many people use an Apple watch (or any fitness tracker for that matter) to check on their progression towards fitness goals. I also notice what a great motivator it is for my wife to keep moving. You can certainly customize the notifications and interaction of the watch if you want to take the time to do it. I had a first generation one that failed after several years. I tried to save some money with a cheap fitness tracker but after 6 months I went back to the Apple watch. We are an iPhone family and the integration is awesome. I realize in your opinion "Apple watch = waste of money" however for me "Apple watch = great value". I find it to be a great tool.