Vanguard “We’re experiencing technical difficulties”

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Vivbet

Vanguard “We’re experiencing technical difficulties”

Post by Vivbet »

“…We apologize for the temporary inconvenience…”

Hello everyone, is anyone else getting this error message when attempting to login to their Vanguard account, or am I just lucky?
goodenyou
Location: Skating to Where the Puck is Going to Be..or on the golf course

Re: Vanguard “We’re experiencing technical difficulties”

Post by goodenyou »

You must be lucky. No problems here.
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" | “At 50, everyone has the face he deserves”
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

Vivbet wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:56 pm “…We apologize for the temporary inconvenience…”

Hello everyone, is anyone else getting this error message when attempting to login to their Vanguard account, or am I just lucky?
Logged right in.
Vanguard/Fidelity | 76% US Stock | 16% Int'l Stock | 8% Cash
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Just lucky. I was just in there to push a donation to VG Charitable.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

I didn't have any problems. I was able to log in and see my account.

However, it did seem to me that perhaps the sequence of redirects from vanguard.com had changed a bit, although I'm not sure how. Or maybe not. As always, be sure you are really starting from just-plain-Vanguard-dot-com and nowhere else... clear caches... clear cookies... etc.

I am 99% convinced that Vanguard has multiple servers that are in a cluster, or whatever, and that different people are getting connected to difference servers and that one can be down when others are up...
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan »

nisiprius wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:00 pm
I am 99% convinced that Vanguard has multiple servers that are in a cluster, or whatever, and that different people are getting connected to difference servers and that one can be down when others are up...
I'm sure you're right.
That would be 100% appropriate for a company like Vanguard, to set up their servers like that, to handle load and provide uptime in case of a server or network component failure.
Last edited by Steelersfan on Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EHEngineer

Post by EHEngineer »

Vivbet wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:56 pm “…We apologize for the temporary inconvenience…”

I get this message on my browser that has been "locked down." I have another browser with fewer restrictions and can log in just fine. The message appears after clicking the "log in" button on this webpage, before it shows the fields to enter my credentials.
https://investor.vanguard.com/home
It's probably caused by blocking all 3rd party cookies, but I haven't tested it.
Or, you can ... decline to let me, a stranger on the Internet, egg you on to an exercise in time-wasting, and you could say "I'm probably OK and I don't care about it that much." -Nisiprius
Topic Author
Vivbet

Post by Vivbet »

EHEngineer wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:17 pm

I get this message on my browser that has been "locked down." I have another browser with fewer restrictions and can log in just fine. The message appears after clicking the "log in" button on this webpage, before it shows the fields to enter my credentials.
https://investor.vanguard.com/home
It's probably caused by blocking all 3rd party cookies, but I haven't tested it.
I get the message at slightly different points depending on which device / browser combo I’m using.

The problem started when I was in the process of setting up an IRA. The rep started the application, but I was unable to see it when I logged in, so I completed the application with him online. Everything was fine until I hit “submit” and nothing happened. He suggested I log back in, and from that point forward I’ve been unable to log in at all. So, if no one else is having trouble, it appears this was not a coincidence.
Wiggums

Post by Wiggums »

I logged in without any issues
"I started with nothing and I still have most of it left."
Artsdoctor

Post by Artsdoctor »

No problems on my end but sometimes the log in process can be glitchy on their end. Try using this:

ownyourfuture.vanguard.com/home/login
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (website).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
ncook303

Post by ncook303 »

I run into similar problems with Fidelity now and then, but if I use a different browser, it resolves the issue.
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

No problems at all today. I made several transactions.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Just logged in, no issues, everything looked the same as I saw this morning, other than the total is higher than earlier.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
gotoparks

Post by gotoparks »

No problem at about 5:45 pm when I logged on.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Yes, I got that message earlier today.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
WhitePuma

Post by WhitePuma »

Since Vanguard’s antics have pushed me away to a much better brokerage, at this point their message might as well say “sorry for the convenience.”
Topic Author
Vivbet

Post by Vivbet »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:55 pm Just logged in, no issues, everything looked the same as I saw this morning, other than the total is higher than earlier.

Broken Man 1999
Love that.
Topic Author
Vivbet

Post by Vivbet »

Mel Lindauer wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:26 pm Yes, I got that message earlier today.
So I called them back to ask if they were blocking us and they admitted they were having “some issues” with their website and things “should be” fixed by tomorrow.
anagram

Post by anagram »

nisiprius wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:00 pm I didn't have any problems. I was able to log in and see my account.

However, it did seem to me that perhaps the sequence of redirects from vanguard.com had changed a bit, although I'm not sure how. Or maybe not. As always, be sure you are really starting from just-plain-Vanguard-dot-com and nowhere else... clear caches... clear cookies... etc.

Of course they do. They do or should have load balancers that distribute client requests to multiple servers. This ensures high availability and reliability by sending requests only to servers that are online. Furthermore they do or should have authentication servers, application servers etc at the back end. So requests should never get sent to a server that is down and experiencing problems. Yet we have evidence that this does happen so I have to wonder how Vanguard has architected its systems.
Ret2018

Post by Ret2018 »

Yes. I can log-in but am unable to download any data from Vanguard. Instead I get the "sorry for the inconvenience" message. Called and was told to log out and log back in. Nada, had to start a ticket. Still can't download today. (During that same call was told that reinvesting dividends can't create a wash sale. :shock: )

Yesterday could not access a distribution form. Would just get a spinning red circle. Was able to access it early this am.

When I called a second time yesterday got a recording that said "8 to 18 minute" wait. Over an hour later finally got to a live pereson. :twisted:

I think both reps and the servers are getting overwhelmed by end of year transactions. And I think they've got a pretty green bunch of reps. Last week I had to tell one that "yes, you can set i401k dividends to go to the money market settlement fund" and then had to explain how to do it. :oops:
Last edited by Ret2018 on Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
prd1982

Post by prd1982 »

Ret2018 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:36 am During that same call was told that dividends can't create a wash sale. :shock:
Why are you shocked by this? I didn’t think dividends can cause a wash sale. I do know that reinvesting dividends can cause a wash sale.
JoeNJ28

Post by JoeNJ28 »

Ret2018 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:36 am Yes. I can log-in but am unable to download any data from Vanguard. Instead I get the "sorry for the inconvenience" message. Called and was told to log out and log back in. Nada, had to start a ticket. Still can't download today. (During that same call was told that dividends can't create a wash sale. :shock: )

Yesterday could not access a distribution form. Would just get a spinning red circle. Was able to access it early this am.

When I called a second time yesterday got a recording that said "8 to 18 minute" wait. Over an hour later finally got to a live pereson. :twisted:

I think both reps and the servers are getting overwhelmed by end of year transactions. And I think they've got a pretty green bunch of reps. Last week I had to tell one that "yes, you can set i401k dividends to go to the money market settlement fund" and then had to explain how to do it. :oops:
Low costs wont let you maintain the most knowledgeable workers with good pay compared to others Vanguard is a stepping stone in the industry due to their low pay due to being a low cost provider. You get in get experience then leave for more money somewhere else
Topic Author
Vivbet

Post by Vivbet »

I can’t believe they haven’t fixed this yet - I still can’t login.
Ret2018

Post by Ret2018 »

prd1982 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:30 am
Ret2018 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:36 am During that same call was told that dividends can't create a wash sale. :shock:
Why are you shocked by this? I didn’t think dividends can cause a wash sale. I do know that reinvesting dividends can cause a wash sale.
I mis-wrote. I was told reinvesting dividends can't create a wash sale. I'll correct my post.
sport

Post by sport »

billaster

Post by billaster »

Ret2018 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:46 am
prd1982 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:30 am
I mis-wrote. I was told reinvesting dividends can't create a wash sale. I'll correct my post.
Perhaps this is a miscommunication. You can only have a wash sale if you sold something for a loss.
Ret2018

Post by Ret2018 »

In the context of the conversation, that is exactly what we were talking about.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The wiki has some background info. See: Wash sale (30 day limit)
To avoid the 30-day limit,[note 4] do not reinvest dividends or capital gains in your taxable funds. Otherwise, the reinvestment will cause a wash sale (for at least the shares bought with the reinvestment) if you sell the fund at a loss within 30 days of the distribution; this will affect a sale for eight months of the year if the fund pays dividends quarterly, and at all times if the fund pays dividends monthly.
If anyone has additional questions, please start a new thread to discuss.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
Vivbet

Post by Vivbet »

Just wanted to update everyone that the problem has now been fixed - I can login again!

Thanks for your support - I appreciate it.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

"We're techiculty differiencing expericals."
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
TamiBog

Post by TamiBog »

Vivbet wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:35 pm Just wanted to update everyone that the problem has now been fixed - I can login again!

Good for you, but I STILL can't login. Started the same day as yours. Can't login with of 5 different PC browsers or 4 Android browsers (most freshly installed).

Even Vanguard's OWN app doesn't work!

Same result most of the time: "We’re experiencing technical difficulties". A random name and password gets the same result, so it's not that it just doesn't like mine. Even tried via VPN and Tor to come from another location, but VG seems to detect and reject those outright. Don't know what else to try.

Called them yesterday and started a repair ticket, but was later told they have no idea when they might get to it. (= Don't hold your breath?)

Did they tell you what was wrong or how they fixed it?

My only other option is move to another firm, (by phone call, bet that will be "fun").
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

TamiBog wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:42 pm
Vivbet wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:35 pm Just wanted to update everyone that the problem has now been fixed - I can login again!

Good for you, but I STILL can't login. Started the same day as yours. Can't login with of 5 different PC browsers or 4 Android browsers (most freshly installed).

Even Vanguard's OWN app doesn't work!

Same result most of the time: "We’re experiencing technical difficulties". A random name and password gets the same result, so it's not that it just doesn't like mine. Even tried via VPN and Tor to come from another location, but VG seems to detect and reject those outright. Don't know what else to try.

Called them yesterday and started a repair ticket, but was later told they have no idea when they might get to it. (= Don't hold your breath?)

Did they tell you what was wrong or how they fixed it?

My only other option is move to another firm, (by phone call, bet that will be "fun").
Normally, I think the action to move is initiated through the new broker. So it might be able to be done online (or at least started) or in person (say, at a Fidelity office).
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

TamiBog wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:42 pm My only other option is move to another firm, (by phone call, bet that will be "fun").
If you have urgent transactions, do them by phone.
TamiBog

Post by TamiBog »

Just to follow up: Had stopped trying after 5 days, but Vanguard called me today and had me try again.

Fixed!

They don't know what was wrong but, "developers are working on stuff all the time", so somehow it got fixed.

Interesting to note - They did NOT want me to try via the Vanguard app because they "have far more problems with it than with browsers".
anagram

Post by anagram »

rkhusky wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:59 pm
TamiBog wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:42 pm My only other option is move to another firm, (by phone call, bet that will be "fun").
Well you might have to wait 2 hours on the phone to do the transaction.
Warren

Post by Warren »

Yes, I experienced the same problem three times this month, without any noticeable pattern; I logged in without any problem minutes after the unsuccessful attempts. However, another recent event left me puzzled: I attempted to send an inquiry to Vanguard from my account and received a message "Due to the increased volume, this message cannot be sent at this time". Well, dealing with different institutions and merchants, sometimes we get a message about the the "high volume", etc., suggesting not to expect any response too soon. However, this is the first time I was advised that I cannot SEND a message to Vanguard.
anagram

Post by anagram »

Warren wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:34 pm Yes, I experienced the same problem three times this month, without any noticeable pattern; I logged in without any problem minutes after the unsuccessful attempts. However, another recent event left me puzzled: I attempted to send an inquiry to Vanguard from my account and received a message "Due to the increased volume, this message cannot be sent at this time". Well, dealing with different institutions and merchants, sometimes we get a message about the the "high volume", etc., suggesting not to expect any response too soon. However, this is the first time I was advised that I cannot SEND a message to Vanguard.
It's easy to understand. The TRS80 computer that is processing secure messages is overwhelmed. :mrgreen:
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

anagram wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:03 pm
rkhusky wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:59 pm
Well you might have to wait 2 hours on the phone to do the transaction.
You might but others are reporting short wait times.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I removed a contentious interchange. The discussion was derailed.
mikemaggs

Unable to log into Vanguard: “We’re Experiencing Technical Difficulties”

Post by mikemaggs »

[Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

Since Tuesday, January 23, I have been unable to log into my Vanguard account. When I click log in, I am met with an error screen that says “We’re experiencing technical difficulties.” I talked on the phone with them for an hour just to have them submit a ticket for me. The person on the phone had no idea why I was having this issue. I have changed my password, used multiple devices and browsers, cleared cache and cookies, and used incognito windows. I am wondering if anyone has ever had this issue, and if so, how did you resolve it?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Welcome! I moved your post into an ongoing discussion.
tibbitts

Re: Unable to log into Vanguard: “We’re Experiencing Technical Difficulties”

Post by tibbitts »

mikemaggs wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:39 am [Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

Since Tuesday, January 23, I have been unable to log into my Vanguard account. When I click log in, I am met with an error screen that says “We’re experiencing technical difficulties.” I talked on the phone with them for an hour just to have them submit a ticket for me. The person on the phone had no idea why I was having this issue. I have changed my password, used multiple devices and browsers, cleared cache and cookies, and used incognito windows. I am wondering if anyone has ever had this issue, and if so, how did you resolve it?
That would be very concerning. Occasional brief outages are okay but I've never had a week-long unavailability of my account, and I access it almost every day.
macaroon

Re: Unable to log into Vanguard: “We’re Experiencing Technical Difficulties”

Post by macaroon »

mikemaggs wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:39 am [Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

I am having the exact same issue. I called support but had the same result as mikemaggs. They had no idea what was causing the problem. Their only suggestion was to access Vanguard on my phone or Ipad through the browser, not the app.

I'm using Chrome and if I keep loading the login page, I can get in about once in 20 tries. I have better results in Firefox but not every time -- I can get in about 50% of the time. Edge gives me the same "technical difficulties" screen. When Chrome does let me log in, it goes directly to my Dashboard page but that page doesn't load at all. This issue just appeared out of the blue. I haven't changed anything on my PC and Vanguard always loaded quickly in the past.

I would welcome any other suggestions or theories :?
mikemaggs

Post by mikemaggs »

It seems to have righted itself today. I have no idea what would have caused 8 days (!!!) of being unable to access my account. But all is good for now...
macaroon

Post by macaroon »

It worked for me, too, mikemaggs! Crossing my fingers that it sticks!
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

No issues logging in today.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

mikemaggs wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:38 am It seems to have righted itself today. I have no idea what would have caused 8 days (!!!) of being unable to access my account. But all is good for now...
There was a cartoon in the New Yorker years ago with a car on the highway passing a sign that said "traffic mysteriously clears two miles ahead."
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

jebmke wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:48 pm
mikemaggs wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:38 am It seems to have righted itself today. I have no idea what would have caused 8 days (!!!) of being unable to access my account. But all is good for now...
There was a cartoon in the New Yorker years ago with a car on the highway passing a sign that said "traffic mysteriously clears two miles ahead."
That would add to the long list of New Yorker cartoons that I'd have no idea what they meant.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
macaroon

Post by macaroon »

I'm getting the "technical difficulties" screen again today, after having it work all day yesterday. :oops: