Anyone buy a '23 or '24 Lexus RX350h recently?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
FrugalInvestor

Anyone buy a '23 or '24 Lexus RX350h recently?

Post by FrugalInvestor »

We would like to buy a new ('23 or '24) RX330h in the near future. If you've gone through the process with this vehicle lately and could fill me in on what to expect regarding availabily, lead time, pricing and any other pertainent facts I would appreciate it.

We'll be test driving one soon but I like to be as knowledgeable as possible about the market as well as the vehicle when I make my first contact and it's been over 5-years since my last new car purchase.

Also, your (owner) evaluation of the RX350h ('23 or '24) would be very useful.

Thanks in advance.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
dawgs

Re: Anyone buy a '23 or '24 Lexus RX350h recently?

Post by dawgs »

I don't fit your profile, but my father purchased one. Received about a year ago with a year long wait. Loves it. Sorry I can't answer your questions.
hvaclorax

Post by hvaclorax »

I have lusted for a RX350h the last few years. I hope you get some replies.
Topic Author
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

hvaclorax wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:21 pm I have lusted for a RX350h the last few years. I hope you get some replies.
Me too!

I'm guessing that part of the reason for the lack of responses are that supply has been very restricted so not a large number have been sold. I'm reading about Lexus being hit especially hard by chip shortages. Fortunately I'm not in any hurry to buy but still hope to get some responses with first hand experience buying and driving.
ram

Post by ram »

Very happy with my Lexus RX 450 hybrid 2022.
3 mo wait. MSRP + $300.
The dealer got 3 of them, sent me an Email and I told him which one I wanted in 1 hour over Email. Picked up that Saturday from the dealer 2 hrs away.
Ram
hvaclorax

Post by hvaclorax »

ram wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:48 pm Very happy with my Lexus RX 450 hybrid 2022.
3 mo wait. MSRP + $300.
The dealer got 3 of them, sent me an Email and I told him which one I wanted in 1 hour over Email. Picked up that Saturday from the dealer 2 hrs away.
If I might ask, can you elaborate? Or did you just buy it?
Baseballmom94

Post by Baseballmom94 »

Hello, FrugalInvestor,

We actually just bought a 2024 Lexus RX 350h in late October. We started looking in early September and found that the RX hybrid model was impossible to find - even for a test drive. We test drove the regular RX 350 and decided that for a small price difference, we would rather wait to get the hybrid model. Our local dealer required a $1000 refundable deposit to be put on the waitlist - we negotiated that to $500. In the meantime, we called dealers all over Ohio to inquire about availability. There is also a function on the Lexus website where you can "shop" a specific model and put in parameters of distance of dealers so that you can look at inventory in other states. We were very particular about exterior and interior color combination and wanted the Premium level model. Since our current ES350 was in great shape, we weren't in a hurry. With a little persistence, we ended up finding the exact model we wanted being transported to a dealer in Louisville, Kentucky, put a deposit down and when the vehicle arrived we took a 3 hour road trip down to pick it up and had a seamless cash transaction.
As far as pricing, there is no negotiation with these hard to find models and the dealers will add ridiculous stuff like paint or fabric protection - you either take it or they sell the car to someone else. We always, always negotiate several thousand off MSRP so this was a very bitter pill to swallow but car inventory and the buying process has changed dramatically since Covid. If you are not desperate for a new vehicle and can wait until next year, maybe more inventory will be available with people not wanting to take out high interest car loans. Also, I have heard you may be able to negotiate off MSRP on the gas model of the RX350 since there are more available. So far, we absolutely love the car and feel that it's a great combination of luxury, sportiness and practicality without the maintenance costs of Mercedes, BMW and Audi. Any other questions, just ask!
hvaclorax

Post by hvaclorax »

Were there things that you especially liked about the SUV? It seems you are return buyer so maybe you can elaborate?
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

Very short supply. I would wait a year or so.
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
Topic Author
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

Baseballmom94 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:56 pm Any other questions, just ask!
Thank you very much for that very informative reply!
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

I haven't looked for this exact vehicle, but I've been all over the new and used car market for several years now. Searching, it appears this model follows the trend of so many other vehicles. No supply. Wait lists. I'd recommend hopping waitlists for 1 or 2 local dealerships and be patient. When the vehicle arrives, you can test drive and approve or reject the vehicle on site. Best of luck!
Light weight baby!
jpohio

Post by jpohio »

Largest dealership in Cleveland area show 100 23/24 RX 350 and 350h in stock. I didn’t count how many 350h vs 350, but am guessing vast majority are 350. Per website selling at MRSP. I have no idea how accurate the website information is.

We have owned several RX hybrids and loved them. My wife is still mad that I traded in her 2010 hybrid. I do not own either a 23 or 24 RX now but have two friends that do, both 350. They love the design changes from 23, and really like the car.
tm3

Post by tm3 »

FrugalInvestor wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:44 pm We would like to buy a new ('23 or '24) RX330h in the near future. If you've gone through the process with this vehicle lately and could fill me in on what to expect regarding availabily, lead time, pricing and any other pertainent facts I would appreciate it.
About a month ago bought a new RX500h. Originally planned on the RX350 but the acceleration of the RX500h was impressive and, most importantly, it was a good color and it was on the lot. There were maybe 20-25 RX's in stock and a number more in transit per the dealer www site. Dealer made a soft push for ceramic coating, extended warranty, and a couple other things but I only had to say "no" once or twice. I negotiated 3% discount which I thought compared favorably with the 6% and 5% discounts I got in "normal" times.

Looked at a number of other choices in that type of vehicle and the RX easily curb stomped them all except for the BMW X3. The X3 has a sportier feel, I think that the 360 camera is better, and it reportedly is easier to spec out an X3 with the exact options and color one wants. Dealer said that they sell at MSRP. In the end the deciding factor was the Lexus reliability for the win.

The RX is a very, very nice car. I would have never spec'd the Mark Levinson sound system but my, oh, my is it awesome!
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

I lucked into a 2023 RX350h Luxury back in January (10 months ago). Normally I buy the "value" level...which would be a "Premium". But I wanted it and there it was. I've been driving Lexus since the very first ones in the Fall of 1989. This is my favorite one so far, just above a 2009 LX460AWD that I had a while back. I'm getting 35 MPG versus 17 MPG on my most recent 2020RX350...similar size and shape car. Hybrid now bringing twice the MPGs. I took me many months of YouTube videos and bulletin board reading to learn all the new tech in the vehicle. But I am enjoying this car tremendously. Zero warranty issues at all so far. The one negative comment I'll make is that Lexus has a "Digital Key" option ($350) that my car has. Many users have not been able to get it to work at all. It makes your phone a digital key. I did get mine to work, after a month of trying various things with tech support, but it's still buggy and I would not go out of town without a hard remote FOB, for fear of getting stuck. Hopefully Lexus will work this out, but they've been very slow and don't seem to care about getting it right. But the ride is even better than the great ride of my old 2020RX350.

As I said, I kinda lucked into this one as it was being unloaded from the truck as I rode by and surprisingly was not spoken for. I paid full sticker but not more. But that was back in January before more people became tuned in to this and demand rose. I hope you can get what you want; it's worth waiting (a bit, not forever) for. Feel free to Private Message me if you wanna chat more about it. I'm in Pittsburgh and bought it here, but I bought my prior Lexus from a dealer in Cleveland.
hvaclorax

Post by hvaclorax »

FrugalInvestor wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:17 pm
Baseballmom94 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:56 pm Any other questions, just ask!
Thank you very much for that very informative reply!
Baseball Mom,
How does the function justify the added cost? Seems like most of the above threads are about price and negotiation. Not being snarky. The OP question is open ended. I thought would include some information about how the vehicle is superior. I’ve based my lust for a Lexus on added value.
HicksSt

Post by HicksSt »

jpohio wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:13 am Largest dealership in Cleveland area show 100 23/24 RX 350 and 350h in stock. I didn’t count how many 350h vs 350, but am guessing vast majority are 350. Per website selling at MRSP. I have no idea how accurate the website information is.
Our experience has been that most of these websites lump together vehicles that are available for purchase with those where a buyer has put down a deposit but not yet closed.
Baseballmom94

Post by Baseballmom94 »

Hvaclorax,

I attempted to answer the first paragraph of FrugalInvestor's questions.

We would like to buy a new ('23 or '24) RX330h in the near future. If you've gone through the process with this vehicle lately and could fill me in on what to expect regarding availabily, lead time, pricing and any other pertainent facts I would appreciate it.

We'll be test driving one soon but I like to be as knowledgeable as possible about the market as well as the vehicle when I make my first contact and it's been over 5-years since my last new car purchase.

Thanks in advance.

As far as how does the added cost justify the price? It doesn't. We are just in a different type of car market now. We are basically FI with no debt, my husband is turning 60 next year, is a hard-working ER doc and has driven used cars while we put two kids through college, med school and PA school. I felt that he deserved it! He's not a "car guy" but is enjoying his commute in this awesome car to his 12-hour shifts!!
buckeye7983

Post by buckeye7983 »

For those who bought an RX in the last 12 months, did you receive one or two key fobs when you took delivery of the vehicle?
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

buckeye7983 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:53 pm For those who bought an RX in the last 12 months, did you receive one or two key fobs when you took delivery of the vehicle?
I got one at purchase this past January. Just finally got the second one, 10 months later.
hvaclorax

Post by hvaclorax »

Baseballmom94 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:35 pm Hvaclorax,

I attempted to answer the first paragraph of FrugalInvestor's questions.

Thanks in advance.

As far as how does the added cost justify the price? It doesn't. We are just in a different type of car market now. We are basically FI with no debt, my husband is turning 60 next year, is a hard-working ER doc and has driven used cars while we put two kids through college, med school and PA school. I felt that he deserved it! He's not a "car guy" but is enjoying his commute in this awesome car to his 12-hour shifts!!
I don’t own one. I drive a Ford Ranger, two seater. I’ve been aware that the Lexus brand might have better value than a Toyota and still have the Toyota reputation. Perhaps the replies would have something to say about the functionality compared to others. Ice and snow driving, comfortable riding, fit and finish, legroom, gas mileage, is the cabin quieter. You understand.
I didn’t know from your, OP, question that the discussion would focus on negotiating the purchase without addressing the car itself. Answers to the OP question might give a nod toward these things.
The salesperson has something to say about function versus other competitors models. Doesn’t it seem odd for others to answer your question with a discussion about the process and not the goal. I get it.
ram

Post by ram »

hvaclorax wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:55 pm
ram wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:48 pm Very happy with my Lexus RX 450 hybrid 2022.
3 mo wait. MSRP + $300.
If I might ask, can you elaborate? Or did you just buy it?
I have bought it. Am using it for 15 months and am very happy with it.
Ram
Topic Author
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

hvaclorax wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:22 pm I don’t own one. I drive a Ford Ranger, two seater. I’ve been aware that the Lexus brand might have better value than a Toyota and still have the Toyota reputation. Perhaps the replies would have something to say about the functionality compared to others. Ice and snow driving, comfortable riding, fit and finish, legroom, gas mileage, is the cabin quieter. You understand.
I didn’t know from your, OP, question that the discussion would focus on negotiating the purchase without addressing the car itself. Answers to the OP question might give a nod toward these things.
The salesperson has something to say about function versus other competitors models. Doesn’t it seem odd for others to answer your question with a discussion about the process and not the goal. I get it.
I actually led with the question about the purchase price, availability, etc. because I've done extensive research and am relatively certain that this is our first choice. I obviously won't know for sure until I drive one to see if my evaluation agrees with the many reviews I've read (and watched), but I'd like to know what to expect when I walk in to take a test drive because that is the start of the first negotiation. Others will likely take place online.

I do appreciate information about personal experiences with this specific vehicle as well as it could flag things that I may need to take a harder look at before purchasing.

Thanks to all the posters for your feedback so far.
hvaclorax

Post by hvaclorax »

You’re joking? “Buy” without knowledge? Isn’t that like swamp land in Florida?
hvaclorax

Post by hvaclorax »

FrugalInvestor wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:34 pm
hvaclorax wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:22 pm I don’t own one. I drive a Ford Ranger, two seater. I’ve been aware that the Lexus brand might have better value than a Toyota and still have the Toyota reputation. Perhaps the replies would have something to say about the functionality compared to others. Ice and snow driving, comfortable riding, fit and finish, legroom, gas mileage, is the cabin quieter. You understand.
I actually led with the question about the purchase price, availability, etc. because I've done extensive research and am relatively certain that this is our first choice. I obviously won't know for sure until I drive one to see if my evaluation agrees with the many reviews I've read (and watched), but I'd like to know what to expect when I walk in to take a test drive because that is the start of the first negotiation. Others will likely take place online.

I do appreciate information about personal experiences with this specific vehicle as well as it could flag things that I may need to take a harder look at before purchasing.

Value links the cost of the item to the utility of the item purchased. I understand you have had your “buy” questions answered. Just wanted remind you about value.
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

hvaclorax wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:20 am Value links the cost of the item to the utility of the item purchased. I understand you have had your “buy” questions answered. Just wanted remind you about value.
Excellent point. To be honest, spending $60,000+ for an appliance that gets me from A to B the same as the $30,000 (say, Corolla) appliance seems to make no sense. I'm pretty "value oriented" (some say "cheap"). But every penny I spend on a new Lexus every 2-3-4 years has been well enjoyed. It's the one big inconsistency in my value oriented life. Some splurge on travel or fine dining. I like my Lexus.
hvaclorax

Post by hvaclorax »

Leesbro63 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:51 am
hvaclorax wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:20 am Value links the cost of the item to the utility of the item purchased. I understand you have had your “buy” questions answered. Just wanted remind you about value.
Excellent point. To be honest, spending $60,000+ for an appliance that gets me from A to B the same as the $30,000 (say, Corolla) appliance seems to make no sense. I'm pretty "value oriented" (some say "cheap"). But every penny I spend on a new Lexus every 2-3-4 years has been well enjoyed. It's the one big inconsistency in my value oriented life. Some splurge on travel or fine dining. I like my Lexus.
Still, I’m lusting for a Lexus, lately. DW keeps me grounded.
Topic Author
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

hvaclorax wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:20 am

Value links the cost of the item to the utility of the item purchased. I understand you have had your “buy” questions answered. Just wanted remind you about value.
Thank you for that and we are in agreement. I understand value. That understanding is one thing that drew me to the Bogleheads community well over a decade ago.

I've been through more phases of life than I care to admit and in each one my value equation has morphed to some (and sometimes a large) degree as my situation has changed. That equation is influenced by many factors, both internal and external. I'm pleased to report that I've navigated each phase successfully and am confident that my current value equation, and this particular purchase, continues to qualify me as a Boglehead. :sharebeer
Topic Author
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

hvaclorax wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:20 am

Thank you for that and we are in agreement. I understand value. That understanding is one thing that drew me to the Bogleheads community well over a decade ago.

I've been through more phases of life than I care to admit and in each one my value equation has morphed to some (and sometimes a large) degree as my situation has changed. That equation is influenced by many factors, both internal and external. I'm pleased to report that I've navigated each phase successfully and am confident that my current value equation, and this particular purchase, continues to qualify me as a Boglehead.
:sharebeer
Aberjona76

Post by Aberjona76 »

We bought a 2023 RH350H in January of this year, and took delivery end of June. Our experience is similar to others in that we couldn't find one to test drive before purchasing, $1000 down, no negotiating price, and only one key fob at delivery. 5 months later and we still don't have extra key fob. We couldn't pick out exact car options either, but we were adamant about exterior color and seat color. Dealers within geographical areas have "allocations", where the factory builds cars with certain option packages/ exterior colors / interior colors, and they try to match these up with existing orders.
This is my wife's car, and she loves it. We are still learning all the electronics within the vehicle, but couldn't be happier with performance.
We do use 93 octane, and it irks me every time I fill up. I've read that you can use 87 octane from others, but everyone at Lexus says to only use 93.
Good Luck!
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

Aberjona76 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:25 pm We bought a 2023 RH350H in January of this year, and took delivery end of June. Our experience is similar to others in that we couldn't find one to test drive before purchasing, $1000 down, no negotiating price, and only one key fob at delivery. 5 months later and we still don't have extra key fob. We couldn't pick out exact car options either, but we were adamant about exterior color and seat color. Dealers within geographical areas have "allocations", where the factory builds cars with certain option packages/ exterior colors / interior colors, and they try to match these up with existing orders.
This is my wife's car, and she loves it. We are still learning all the electronics within the vehicle, but couldn't be happier with performance.
We do use 93 octane, and it irks me every time I fill up. I've read that you can use 87 octane from others, but everyone at Lexus says to only use 93.
Good Luck!
Who at “Lexus” says that? The dealer? Go to ClubLexus.com. You’ll see that almost none of the RX350h owners uses anything but 87 octane. You are wasting your money. There is also a deep dive two part YouTube video that was very helpful. It didn’t come out until a while after I got my car; I wish it was out at the beginning.
Topic Author
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

Aberjona76 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:25 pm We do use 93 octane, and it irks me every time I fill up. I've read that you can use 87 octane from others, but everyone at Lexus says to only use 93.
The manufacturer is the authoratative source for this kind of information. Dealer employees (especially salespeople) are often misinformed or just lazy about these sorts of details. If you read your owner's manual you'll find this...

 RX350h
91AKI (Research Octane Number 96) or
higher [recommended]
87AKI (Research Octane Number 91) or
higher [minimum]

See online manual here....https://assets.sia.toyota.com/publicati ... 0E213U.pdf

The numbers posted on U.S. gas pumps are AKI, so Lexus recommends 91 octane and requires a minimum of 87 octane.

If 87 is the minimum it is fine to use it, there will be no damage done and you will not compromise your warranty coverage or the health of your car and you will likely never notice any difference. You may compromise fuel economy or power production just a bit.

The fueleconomy.gov site says this....

Will using a higher octane fuel than required improve fuel economy or performance?
It depends. For most vehicles, higher octane fuel may improve performance and gas mileage and reduce carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions by a few percent during severe duty operation, such as towing a trailer or carrying heavy loads, especially in hot weather. However, under normal driving conditions, you may get little to no benefit.

Link to site here.....
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/octane. ... %20benefit.

In other words, the fuel you should use in your car is the minimum required, not the recommended.

Personally I always try to buy the minimum required but make sure it meets Top Tier fuel requirements (which is a whole different discussion). Most major brands are Top Tier including Costco fuel.

P.S. This may be different for the non-hybrid RX350 4-cyl as I believe that is turbocharged. Turbocharged engines often (but not always) require premium fuel (I didn't take the time to look that up since we're talking about the non-turbocharged hybrid).
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

FrugalInvestor wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:38 pm
Aberjona76 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:25 pm We do use 93 octane, and it irks me every time I fill up. I've read that you can use 87 octane from others, but everyone at Lexus says to only use 93.
The manufacturer is the authoratative source for this kind of information. Dealer employees (especially salespeople) are often misinformed or just lazy about these sorts of details. If you read your owner's manual you'll find this...

 RX350h
higher [recommended]
higher [minimum]

See online manual here....https://assets.sia.toyota.com/publicati ... 0E213U.pdf

The numbers posted on U.S. gas pumps are AKI, so Lexus recommends 91 octane and requires a minimum of 87 octane.

If 87 is the minimum it is fine to use it, there will be no damage done and you will not compromise your warranty coverage or the health of your car and you will likely never notice any difference. You may compromise fuel economy or power production just a bit.

Will using a higher octane fuel than required improve fuel economy or performance?
It depends. For most vehicles, higher octane fuel may improve performance and gas mileage and reduce carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions by a few percent during severe duty operation, such as towing a trailer or carrying heavy loads, especially in hot weather. However, under normal driving conditions, you may get little to no benefit.

Link to site here.....

In other words, the fuel you should use in your car is the minimum required, not the recommended.

Personally I always try to buy the minimum required but make sure it meets Top Tier fuel requirements (which is a whole different discussion). Most major brands are Top Tier including Costco fuel.

P.S. This may be different for the non-hybrid RX350 4-cyl as I believe that is turbocharged. Turbocharged engines often (but not always) require premium fuel (I didn't take the time to look that up since we're talking about the non-turbocharged hybrid).
On ClubLexus.com they are reporting no noticeable MPG improvement with 93 octane. For sure you won’t get a 20% MPG increase versus 20% higher cost for 91 (let alone 93) octane.
Topic Author
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

Leesbro63 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:43 pm On ClubLexus.com they are reporting no noticeable MPG improvement with 93 octane. For sure you won’t get a 20% MPG increase versus 20% higher cost for 91 (let alone 93) octane.
That doesn't surprise me at all. I just wanted to reassure Aberjona76 that the information was from authoratative sources and that there would be no negative consequences to using the required fuel vs. the recommended.
Aberjona76

Post by Aberjona76 »

Thanks for the info about ClubLexus.com, I didn't know about this site.
cubs1999

Post by cubs1999 »

Leesbro63 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:43 pm
FrugalInvestor wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:38 pm

 RX350h
higher [recommended]
higher [minimum]

Link to site here.....

On ClubLexus.com they are reporting no noticeable MPG improvement with 93 octane. For sure you won’t get a 20% MPG increase versus 20% higher cost for 91 (let alone 93) octane.
I'm actually surprised that forum has many that are reasonable like that. I just remember what I've gathered from threads in acurazine (an Acura enthusiast site) and miatanet (a Miata forum) which seemed to be the opposite. There vehicles in question were similar where they gained slight mpg and performance from premium but could run on 87 octane.

I did noticed in threads I've read on those istes that some are lucky and only have a 20-30 cent difference somehow between 87 and 93 octane. These people make an argument of "why did you spend x on the car and are saving a dollar or two by not using premium.". I saw that California is like that in prices. Like one Costco has $4.47 for regular and $4.74 for premium on gas buddy right now. I was in Iowa over the summer as was surprised to see Sam's had premium for only 30 cents more.

The Costco by me in IL says $2.98 regular (has gone down 21 cents since I looked at gas buddy last week) and $3.94 for premium. This is the usual spread around here: about 90-100 cents difference regardless of price. To me, that is a significant savings each tank.

I drive an old Acura that has 91 recommended but can run on 87. I just put regular in bc I dont need the extra power I might get as I never floor it. The computer mpg seemed to only get me 1-2 mpg when I'd check it on similar 45 m drive to work when tried 93 vs 87 experiments when I got this car two years ago.
That extra 20-30 miles a tank doesn't seem worth $10-15 at fill up.

I think if I got a new Miata (which is why I'm on that forum) I'd probably still save $ with the regular unless I planned on spirited driving or maybe when the weather was set to be over 100 degrees several days in a row like this last Aug.

I did put the 30 cents more premium in Iowa bc I was so surprised to see the small price difference.
atl2005

Post by atl2005 »

My wife has a 2017 RX350 with almost 100k miles. We are considering trading it next year for another RX350 but we definitely don't like the change from a 6 cyl to 4 cyl engine and the premium fuel requirement.

We are going to look at the 350h since it can run with regular fuel and gets much better gas mileage. However never have owned a hybrid car I don't know much about them or the maintenance on them compared to regular gas vehicles. Also how is the power in that size SUV without the turbo charged engine? Still have plenty of torque for passing or does it feel sluggish compared to the 6 cyl and turbo 4?

She loves her Lexus bought it as a CPO and been a great car but that new body style is something she wants to get within the next year.
sambb

Post by sambb »

Discounts on the gas version are readily available. Did the calulation and it would take many years at my driving to make the hybrid break even compared to gas at the 10k miles per year i drive. (gas RX is discounted, hybrid isnt and has dealer add ons). Not sure it matters financially to get the hybrid. There can be other reasons, but the few thousand difference in cost, if invested would mean a break even point in several years.
Golfer--

Post by Golfer-- »

I purchased a 24 RX last fall. No complaints. It has lots of safety features, drives like a dream. The cruise control slows the vehicle down if getting close to the car head. I purchased the Premium model. The upgraded models did not offer enough for the price difference. Received one key and the second one 6 months later. That being said it does have a lot of "beeps" that some do not like. However they can be adjusted or turned off.
IRpixiedust

Post by IRpixiedust »

I cant speak to the rx350h but my '22 rx450h (6 cyl) had much better acceleration than the same year rx350 (test drove them back to back). Personally the 4 cyl perceived sluggish-ness kept me from buying a rav4 (couldnt find a prime at that point). Both are wildly sluggish compared to my prior X3m40i which I sorely miss. The 450h has 40k miles on it and has had zero issues (other than a miserable infotainment system). I can say the same for my 98 toyota celica with 200k.
Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP »

atl2005 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 7:38 am My wife has a 2017 RX350 with almost 100k miles. We are considering trading it next year for another RX350 but we definitely don't like the change from a 6 cyl to 4 cyl engine and the premium fuel requirement.

We are going to look at the 350h since it can run with regular fuel and gets much better gas mileage. However never have owned a hybrid car I don't know much about them or the maintenance on them compared to regular gas vehicles. Also how is the power in that size SUV without the turbo charged engine? Still have plenty of torque for passing or does it feel sluggish compared to the 6 cyl and turbo 4?

She loves her Lexus bought it as a CPO and been a great car but that new body style is something she wants to get within the next year.
The hybrid has a faster 0-60 and 1/4 mile time than the gas. Probably because the turbo has a lag whereas the electric engine puts down power immediately. I’d imagine that the gas has a better top speed or 60-100 time as that’s where electric cars are weaker at.

The gas mileage of the hybrid is significantly better, see fuel economy.gov. I think it’s 50% better. However, you won’t actually save all that much unless you drive 20k miles a year, even though it can take regular fuel. But, you’ll go to the gas station 50% less as the tank size is the same.

As mentioned, it still looks like the hybrids are hard to get and the gas ones are plentiful on lots.

If you drive 20k miles a year and are able to get one at MSRP without add-ons, I think the hybrid is a good buy. However, if you can get 10k off the gas, go for the gas. Get a hybrid seven years from now.

Oh, and the hybrid comes standard with all wheel drive.

edit
I got curious. Here's the breakdown using today's average gas price.

Code: Select all

Miles 1k	Gas	Hybrid	Difference
10	 1,920.43 	 1,034.00 	 886.43 
20	 3,840.87 	 2,068.00 	 1,772.87 
30	 5,761.30 	 3,102.00 	 2,659.30 
40	 7,681.74 	 4,136.00 	 3,545.74 
50	 9,602.17 	 5,170.00 	 4,432.17 
60	 11,522.61 	 6,204.00 	 5,318.61 
70	 13,443.04 	 7,238.00 	 6,205.04 
80	 15,363.48 	 8,272.00 	 7,091.48 
90	 17,283.91 	 9,306.00 	 7,977.91 
100	 19,204.35 	 10,340.00 	 8,864.35 
110	 21,124.78 	 11,374.00 	 9,750.78 
120	 23,045.22 	 12,408.00 	 10,637.22 
130	 24,965.65 	 13,442.00 	 11,523.65 
140	 26,886.09 	 14,476.00 	 12,410.09 
150	 28,806.52 	 15,510.00 	 13,296.52 
160	 30,726.96 	 16,544.00 	 14,182.96 
170	 32,647.39 	 17,578.00 	 15,069.39 
180	 34,567.83 	 18,612.00 	 15,955.83 
190	 36,488.26 	 19,646.00 	 16,842.26 
200	 38,408.70 	 20,680.00 	 17,728.70 
210	 40,329.13 	 21,714.00 	 18,615.13 
220	 42,249.57 	 22,748.00 	 19,501.57 
230	 44,170.00 	 23,782.00 	 20,388.00 
240	 46,090.43 	 24,816.00 	 21,274.43 
250	 48,010.87 	 25,850.00 	 22,160.87 
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Bought a new RX 350 about 2.5 months ago. Gas model was nicely discounted, hybrid has very limited availability, so bought the gas.

Love the car.

Still don’t have the second key. See my thread on my frustration about not getting that second key;
viewtopic.php?t=427627
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
Old Guy

Post by Old Guy »

I bought a 350h April 2023. Full list price plus add on. It’s a nice car. It’s very red.
atl2005

Post by atl2005 »

Lee_WSP wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 10:47 am
atl2005 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 7:38 am My wife has a 2017 RX350 with almost 100k miles. We are considering trading it next year for another RX350 but we definitely don't like the change from a 6 cyl to 4 cyl engine and the premium fuel requirement.

The hybrid has a faster 0-60 and 1/4 mile time than the gas. Probably because the turbo has a lag whereas the electric engine puts down power immediately. I’d imagine that the gas has a better top speed or 60-100 time as that’s where electric cars are weaker at.

The gas mileage of the hybrid is significantly better, see fuel economy.gov. I think it’s 50% better. However, you won’t actually save all that much unless you drive 20k miles a year, even though it can take regular fuel. But, you’ll go to the gas station 50% less as the tank size is the same.

As mentioned, it still looks like the hybrids are hard to get and the gas ones are plentiful on lots.

If you drive 20k miles a year and are able to get one at MSRP without add-ons, I think the hybrid is a good buy. However, if you can get 10k off the gas, go for the gas. Get a hybrid seven years from now.

Oh, and the hybrid comes standard with all wheel drive.

edit
I got curious. Here's the breakdown using today's average gas price.

Code: Select all

Miles 1k	Gas	Hybrid	Difference
10	 1,920.43 	 1,034.00 	 886.43 
20	 3,840.87 	 2,068.00 	 1,772.87 
30	 5,761.30 	 3,102.00 	 2,659.30 
40	 7,681.74 	 4,136.00 	 3,545.74 
50	 9,602.17 	 5,170.00 	 4,432.17 
60	 11,522.61 	 6,204.00 	 5,318.61 
70	 13,443.04 	 7,238.00 	 6,205.04 
80	 15,363.48 	 8,272.00 	 7,091.48 
90	 17,283.91 	 9,306.00 	 7,977.91 
100	 19,204.35 	 10,340.00 	 8,864.35 
110	 21,124.78 	 11,374.00 	 9,750.78 
120	 23,045.22 	 12,408.00 	 10,637.22 
130	 24,965.65 	 13,442.00 	 11,523.65 
140	 26,886.09 	 14,476.00 	 12,410.09 
150	 28,806.52 	 15,510.00 	 13,296.52 
160	 30,726.96 	 16,544.00 	 14,182.96 
170	 32,647.39 	 17,578.00 	 15,069.39 
180	 34,567.83 	 18,612.00 	 15,955.83 
190	 36,488.26 	 19,646.00 	 16,842.26 
200	 38,408.70 	 20,680.00 	 17,728.70 
210	 40,329.13 	 21,714.00 	 18,615.13 
220	 42,249.57 	 22,748.00 	 19,501.57 
230	 44,170.00 	 23,782.00 	 20,388.00 
240	 46,090.43 	 24,816.00 	 21,274.43 
250	 48,010.87 	 25,850.00 	 22,160.87 
Thanks this is really helpful. I've never had a vehicle that requires premium and always told myself I wouldn't have one but my wife is set on the Lexus. I'm still not sure why they're changing to the turbo 4 cyl but I'm sure cost is an issue. We really only drive her car out of town and probably average 10k miles at most a year now since she works from home. I didn't realize people were negotiating 10k off MSRP for the gas vehicle that's a huge savings.
Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP »

atl2005 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 3:11 pm Thanks this is really helpful. I've never had a vehicle that requires premium and always told myself I wouldn't have one but my wife is set on the Lexus. I'm still not sure why they're changing to the turbo 4 cyl but I'm sure cost is an issue. We really only drive her car out of town and probably average 10k miles at most a year now since she works from home. I didn't realize people were negotiating 10k off MSRP for the gas vehicle that's a huge savings.
I was referring to the total initial cost savings of the vehicles, I think you can get a gas version for 55k, but the hybrid average is 65k or something like that. The gas savings is also slightly larger if you opt for the AWD gas version (1mpg).
sambb

Post by sambb »

can get gas version for several thou less, and a cpo gas version for many thousand less (with 6/100k warranty). Invest the difference and you will likely come ahead of the hybrid if you drive 10k a year. As far as premium gas, very unlikely to matter,but thats a different discussion.
teaman

Post by teaman »

We purchased a 2024 RX 350h a few months ago. My pet peeve with it is the sluggish acceleration, especially when the terrain is hilly. Switching to Sport mode helps a bit. If you are coming from a 6 cylinder model or a sporty car like BMW, I think you will sorely miss the acceleration. Other than that, it is a great car. MPG is 34-35.
atl2005

Post by atl2005 »

teaman wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 3:15 pm We purchased a 2024 RX 350h a few months ago. My pet peeve with it is the sluggish acceleration, especially when the terrain is hilly. Switching to Sport mode helps a bit. If you are coming from a 6 cylinder model or a sporty car like BMW, I think you will sorely miss the acceleration. Other than that, it is a great car. MPG is 34-35.
I'm thinking this will be the main reason we stick with the gas engine. We haven't test drove either model yet but I'm worried the hybrid just wont have the torque or passing power we are used to with our current 6 cyl 2017 RX350. I would love the extra gas mileage and ability to use regular gasoline but not sure it's going to have enough power to justify the hybrid.
Topic Author
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

According to some reviews I've read the RX350 hybrid has better acceleration than the gas model.

Here's a quote....
In the case of the Lexus RX350h, the SUV goes from 0 to 60 mph in 7.4 seconds and completes the quarter mile in 15.7 seconds. That makes it quicker than the regular RX350, which is turbocharged, and shows what a good old-fashioned naturally aspirated engine can do with a little help from front and rear electric motors.
From this review....

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2023 ... st-review/
Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP »

atl2005 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:36 pm
teaman wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 3:15 pm We purchased a 2024 RX 350h a few months ago. My pet peeve with it is the sluggish acceleration, especially when the terrain is hilly. Switching to Sport mode helps a bit. If you are coming from a 6 cylinder model or a sporty car like BMW, I think you will sorely miss the acceleration. Other than that, it is a great car. MPG is 34-35.
I'm thinking this will be the main reason we stick with the gas engine. We haven't test drove either model yet but I'm worried the hybrid just wont have the torque or passing power we are used to with our current 6 cyl 2017 RX350. I would love the extra gas mileage and ability to use regular gasoline but not sure it's going to have enough power to justify the hybrid.
Neither will have the oomph of the six cylinder. The hybrid accelerates faster from 0-60 and the 1/4 mile. Probably faster to 100 too.
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

Brokers on lease hacker are reporting deals of around 10% off MSRP before applicable incentives.