"What did you do today that was a good value" ... recently or fondly remembered

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
PeninsulaPerson

"What did you do today that was a good value" ... recently or fondly remembered

Post by PeninsulaPerson »

TravellingTechOnFire wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 6:27 pm
Frugal things can certainly be worth it and a good value, but not all things that are worth it are necessarily frugal. As on open forum, especially one that focuses on finances, I think its ok if people suggest that things are not frugal if they indeed are not. Maybe a "What did you do today that was a good value" thread would be appropriate? If people are so offended by someone suggesting that eating out constantly and buying sodas is not frugal, perhaps seeing things from a different perspective can be helpful.

Credit to TravellingTechOnFire for the really thought-provoking idea!

I did this about 3 weeks ago, not today. But it was an excellent value.

My husband and I were meeting friends in Boston in a place where I was not 100% sure of the parking options (even after a Google search and a phone call to the supposedly-nearest garage).

I didn't want to get stuck parking and having to walk 30 minutes to get where we were going. Plus I do most of the driving and I was sort of dreading knowing the whole day that Boston's really-bad-again afternoon rush hour traffic would be awaiting me.

I considered taking an Uber but that felt like too much of a "luxury" when I could drive our own car. But my husband thought it would be a great idea to Uber, so we did! $30-ish into the city. $45-ish coming home (surge pricing).

It was so nice to have someone else doing the driving, in our hometown! Oddly, it's not something we would ever have called a cab for but Ubering seemed more, like, sure, let's do it. I felt like I was on vacation - looking out the Uber window and noticing so many things I never see when I (rightfully) have my eyes on the road when I'm behind the wheel.

Plus we had more fun with our friends - we met in one place, took a ferry to another, had lunch in the city and then walked around relaxed, without having to even think about needing to get back to where the car was. It felt so great to be car-free in a place where all my life I have usually been worrying one way or another about the car!

It was a $75 very well spent. I would do it again and would highly recommend it!

Eager to hear what other BH-ers find genuine cross-useful value in!
Last edited by PeninsulaPerson on Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
runner3081

Re: "What did you do today that was a good value" ...

Post by runner3081 »

Took a free (well, funded by taxpayer dollars) 6-mile hike through the desert, as we do every Sunday morning.

Reading free books, magazines and WSJ/NYT newspapers (funded by taxpayer dollars)
TravellingTechOnFire

Post by TravellingTechOnFire »

Every day, we have at least 4 home brewed coffees. We make them with an espresso machine. Wife makes herself a cappuccino and I have ~3 coffees. The coffees I brew are actually Americanos, which is a shot of espresso with hot water added until similar strength to a coffee, just more delicious with crema and lots of flavor. We use fresh, locally roasted beans which are quite expensive compared to a big bag of beans from Costco or a big can of Maxwell House.

We are coming up on the two year mark for owning our espresso machine, so about $1/day there, plus probably $0.50/coffee due to the cost of beans.

I didn't put this in the Frugal thread, as I feel like drip coffee with higher value beans/grounds would be more appropriate and drastically cheaper in that context.

However, what we spend compared to what these high quality coffee drinks would cost from a coffee shop each day and the amount we enjoy our coffee, we consider it an excellent value.

In fact, on my way now to brew my last cup of the day. :D
Charles Joseph

Post by Charles Joseph »

TravellingTechOnFire wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 1:26 pm I didn't put this in the Frugal thread, as I feel like drip coffee with higher value beans/grounds would be more appropriate and drastically cheaper in that context.
Well, it's much more frugal than, say, Starbucks, that's for sure. So I vote for you being frugal today, too! :happy
Retired June 2023, age 59
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

TravellingTechOnFire wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 1:26 pm Every day, we have at least 4 home brewed coffees. We make them with an espresso machine. Wife makes herself a cappuccino and I have ~3 coffees. The coffees I brew are actually Americanos, which is a shot of espresso with hot water added until similar strength to a coffee, just more delicious with crema and lots of flavor. We use fresh, locally roasted beans which are quite expensive compared to a big bag of beans from Costco or a big can of Maxwell House.

We are coming up on the two year mark for owning our espresso machine, so about $1/day there, plus probably $0.50/coffee due to the cost of beans.

I didn't put this in the Frugal thread, as I feel like drip coffee with higher value beans/grounds would be more appropriate and drastically cheaper in that context.

However, what we spend compared to what these high quality coffee drinks would cost from a coffee shop each day and the amount we enjoy our coffee, we consider it an excellent value.

In fact, on my way now to brew my last cup of the day. :D
Compared to going out for coffee, the payback period for our espresso machine, grinder, and excellent beans is about six months, so it’s definitely both frugal and excellent value. We’ve been enjoying multiple espressos (lattes, mostly) per day at home for nearly 30 years. We’re on our fourth machine in that time, and we spend an average of $100/year on maintenance for the machine we currently have.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

I spent the day playing basketball. About $200/year for league fees, and a pair of $100 shoes each year, to do something both healthy and fun 3-4x per week.
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

We went to dinner at an Italian restaurant that we frequent and DW got an appetizer size of Cacio e Pepe with house made spinach spaghetti. She said that it was delicious, I agreed, and it was just the right amount - and it was half the price of an entree size of pasta.
Topic Author
PeninsulaPerson

eddot98 wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 10:17 pm
We went to dinner at an Italian restaurant that we frequent and DW got an appetizer size of Cacio e Pepe with house made spinach spaghetti. She said that it was delicious, I agreed, and it was just the right amount - and it was half the price of an entree size of pasta.

Love it when restaurants offer that option! It seems like a lot of Italian restaurants do that.

One other one for me - this past April, I saw planted planters at one of the local garden shops. They were beautiful, came in nice containers ... and they were $49.99 each.

That felt super-expensive and I thought how I could buy the plants and do two planters up myself. But I took a chance and bought the made-up ones.

They have been going strong and beautiful since I brought them home and they still look good today. As every gardener has lived, sometimes plants just up & die. But these ones turned out to be excellent value for the money. (Plus I will still have the handsome planters and I've taken pictures to try to re-create the look with new plants next spring.)
DarthSage

Post by DarthSage »

I did a stock-up run to Aldi's and got lots of frozen/pantry items (with a little fresh thrown in). Then I used 2 rebate cards from my kids' contact lenses. I paid $25 OOP for my %135 order, and have more than enough to feed my "Gang of 5" for the week.
Ivygirl

Post by Ivygirl »

Ordered a packet of 50 African Violet seeds to raise myself for $13.44. (An individual plant at the nursery is $6.95.) This way I can be surprised by a range of unexpected colors and have the fun of growing them too.

Tax, shipping, and fuel charge was $7.49 of the cost :annoyed but still a bargain.
like2read

Post by like2read »

Made a dinner recipe from our favorite Italian cookbook, which we bought for $1.99 about 30 years ago from the clearance rack located in the front door of vestibule of Borders Books.
Wanderingwheelz

Post by Wanderingwheelz »

Not sure Bogleheads understand the spirit of this post.

I think the gist is to offer up a splurge but also have it be a good trade off for other aspects of your life you value highly. (Non-monetary)

Recently I upgraded all of my socks to Darn Tough, boxers to Saxx, and t-shirts to Patagonia Cool Daily- both long and short sleeves. All bought a good sale prices, of course. I’ve always had several of each but I went all-in since, why not. $18 socks, $30 boxers and $50 t-shirts really are worth it to me for the extra comfort they bring.
Being wrong compounds forever.
FeralCat

Post by FeralCat »

It has been really difficult post-pandemic to find large quantities of fresh basil to make pesto. Most stores now only sell 3 oz packets of basil for around $4.50. I frequently buy produce from the Korean market across the street, so I asked them if I could buy bulk basil. Tonight I picked up a box of 2 pounds of super fresh basil for $20! They sold it to me at this price because I was told I am such a good customer.
mainiac

Post by mainiac »

+1 for Darn Tough socks!

We both wore our Darn Tough socks today while hiking at a free land trust on the beautiful Maine coast!
We brought our own sandwiches from home and had a picnic on the rocks.

Last weekend, I went to the local apple orchard and picked up apples from the ground (aka "drops"). $7 for a bag that is larger than a half bushel bag. The cost of a half bushel bag of apples picked from the tree is $28. I'll get a winter's worth of applesauce and apple baked goods for $21.
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

quantAndHold wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 7:26 pm We’re on our fourth machine in that time, and we spend an average of $100/year on maintenance for the machine we currently have.
I know nothing about these machines. But is that what you pay people to repair these machines? Or, is that buying some form of spare parts that you yourself replace?
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Today Appointment Endocrinologist

Last week : Appointment Rheumatologist

Week before last: Appointment Mayo spine center

Investing where it counts

j🤓
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Sandtrap wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:27 pm Today Appointment Endocrinologist

j🤓
I took advantage of my amazing work benefits to get my nagging shoulder checked out Friday. Appointment was free and MRI was $100...the torn labrum, torn supraspinatus, and bursitis EVERYWHERE will cost a lot more to fix. Have an appointment with an orthopedist tomorrow. Then doing Grand Canyon rim-to-rim Friday; my wife may be carrying both of our packs.
Ependytis

Post by Ependytis »

We are staying at a friends house on the big island in Hawaii. We bought them a $200 gift certificate to one of the fancy restaurants that they would never go on their own. Yeah it doesn’t make sense to me either, they own multiple houses and they don’t treat themselves to a fancy dinner once in a while.
PottedPlant

Post by PottedPlant »

Worked out at the gym (24 hour Fitness).
Free. Thanks to Silver Sneakers.
Mashed or Baked Potatoes?
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Returned a roll of wrapping paper I didn't use for a refund.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
JaeJones

Post by JaeJones »

DW and I prepared a 2 gal. and 5 gal. crock of fermented (Salt and cabbage) sauerkraut. 4 cabbages total of 48 lbs. $3 each this year, last year was $2.50, and prior year $2.00. Inflation!! She is more German than I but we both really like the taste of this compared to the kind sealed with vinegar in jars found at the store. Good price at $12, better VALUE due to satisfaction of the effort/reward! Plus good for health!
gator15

Post by gator15 »

Lululemon half-zips. They aren’t a frugal purchase for me but I get alot of value out of them. I bought four of them recently as my older versions have begun to show some age. I wear these shirts everywhere all seasons of the year. Though they are pricey, they are worth it to me as I’ve tried several other brands and nothing comes to close to the fit of these shirts.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

stoptothink wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:33 pm
Sandtrap wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:27 pm Today Appointment Endocrinologist

j🤓
I took advantage of my amazing work benefits to get my nagging shoulder checked out Friday. Appointment was free and MRI was $100...the torn labrum, torn supraspinatus, and bursitis EVERYWHERE will cost a lot more to fix. Have an appointment with an orthopedist tomorrow. Then doing Grand Canyon rim-to-rim Friday; my wife may be carrying both of our packs.
Outstanding!
Health
Fitness
Changing lifestyle adaptations...sometimes whether powered by Gel or Lithium, Hybrid or Electric, et al. (aka: gizmos)
Etc.
Doing whatever it takes and spending whatever it takes to sustain a rewarding lifestyle through life is money well spent, and a great value no matter the high numbers if that is what is needed.

j
DarthSage

Post by DarthSage »

FeralCat wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:38 pm It has been really difficult post-pandemic to find large quantities of fresh basil to make pesto. Most stores now only sell 3 oz packets of basil for around $4.50. I frequently buy produce from the Korean market across the street, so I asked them if I could buy bulk basil. Tonight I picked up a box of 2 pounds of super fresh basil for $20! They sold it to me at this price because I was told I am such a good customer.
So jealous of your "score"!

Basil is really easy to grow--believe me, if I can do it...

I have some I bought as plants and some I grew from seed, out on the back deck. I made pesto last week and froze it in dollops. I might make more this week--I love me some fresh pesto!
Topic Author
PeninsulaPerson

Wanderingwheelz wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:31 pm

I think the gist is to offer up a splurge but also have it be a good trade off for other aspects of your life you value highly. (Non-monetary)

Well put!

It could go in a lot of different directions.

"Splurge" gets close but I think I more meant something that cost $$$ that some might/could say wasn't "worth it" but it turned out to be (very happily) much more than worth it and - ultimately - a good value for you.

Sort of the opposite of "frugality" which could be more about actively trying to save $$$.

It could be a $1 whatzit used regularly over 30 years - if at that time the $1 mattered to the person and they were concerned they were wasting their money but it turned out to be the opposite of a waste of money.

It could be your "expensive" socks that bring you comfort - a sure thing, in your case.

Or a speculative flyer that worked out, like my pre-potted planters.

Ultimately something you considered and could have walked away from but ended up delighted you spent the money on.
Being pleased with yourself and the world. Like your hopefulness for the purchase was well-placed and the stars aligned too!
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

PeninsulaPerson wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:00 am

Well put!

"Splurge" gets close but I think I more meant something that cost $$$ that some might/could say wasn't "worth it" but it turned out to be (very happily) much more than worth it and - ultimately - a good value for you.

Sort of the opposite of "frugality" which could be more about actively trying to save $$$.

It could be a $1 whatzit used regularly over 30 years - if at that time the $1 mattered to the person and they were concerned they were wasting their money but it turned out to be the opposite of a waste of money.

It could be your "expensive" socks that bring you comfort - a sure thing, in your case.

Ultimately something you considered and could have walked away from but ended up delighted you spent the money on.
Being pleased with yourself and the world. Like your hopefulness for the purchase was well-placed and the stars aligned too!
Excellent expansion of the theme of this topic! Thanks!
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

PeninsulaPerson wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:00 am

Well put!

to op:
great clarification
perhaps add it to your original lst post for better input from others?
edit, add, using the pencil icon.

j
Topic Author
PeninsulaPerson

Sandtrap wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:21 am
to op:
great clarification
perhaps add it to your original lst post for better input from others?
edit, add, using the pencil icon.

j

Good idea!

At this point, adding it to the original might complicate things. I am thinking about that. I did change the header, so hopefully that helps.

Perhaps if folks read along this far and see the post that suggested a clarification, that's the best way for them to see the development?

Not sure. Am waiting and seeing.

It is a pleasure to hear about the things others got value from that I might incorporate into my life!
Those long-sleeved t-shirts sound good (with winter coming!) and I am going to see if they make them for women.
And my husband loves pesto - I never thought of getting basil that way!
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

PeninsulaPerson wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:59 am

Love it when restaurants offer that option! It seems like a lot of Italian restaurants do that.

They will often do this if you simply ask. We have one local restaurant that specifically lists "half-entre" as an option. It comes with normal sides. At several others we have asked and they provided the same even tho not on the menu.

We don't eat out much since we returned to the US but I always judge a place by their flexibility. I always ask about things like salt and cream -- if they can't adjust a recipe to reduce or omit, I won't return.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
AnnetteLouisan

Re: "What did you do today that was a good value" ... recently or fondly remembered

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

I bought a high quality, exceedingly appropriate interview suit and designer shoes in my 30s with the help of a friend. The suit was over $600, the most I had ever spent. I believe the shoes were $225 (Ferragamo, those ones with the dare I say prissy little bow).

Only a penguin would have looked more law firm appropriate. That was the style at the time. The $600 seemed like a crazy waste to me at the time!

I received a number of extremely good law firm job offers wearing that and even was offered a spot with a U.S. firm overseas. Of course it wasn’t only the outfit, but I am certain it helped. As a result, I was in the top 2 percent of US incomes for about ten years.

Later I made another concession by buying another pair of appropriate work shoes of a different brand. Figured, I’d use them. I used them for years. Very helpful. It’s good to have a bit of a Superman uniform when you need to look the part.

Ps, I’m glad the penguin look is no longer mandatory at top firms.
roamingzebra

Re: "What did you do today that was a good value" ... recently or fondly remembered

Post by roamingzebra »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:43 am I bought a high quality, exceedingly appropriate interview suit and designer shoes in my 30s with the help of a friend. The suit was over $600, the most I had ever spent. I believe the shoes were $225 (Ferragamo, those ones with the dare I say prissy little bow).

Only a penguin would have looked more law firm appropriate. That was the style at the time. The $600 seemed like a crazy waste to me at the time!

I received a number of extremely good law firm job offers wearing that and even was offered a spot with a U.S. firm overseas. Of course it wasn’t only the outfit, but I am certain it helped. As a result, I was in the top 2 percent of US incomes for about ten years.
I think I saw you on an episode of "Suits". :mrgreen:
Topic Author
PeninsulaPerson

jebmke wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:43 am
PeninsulaPerson wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:59 am

They will often do this if you simply ask. We have one local restaurant that specifically lists "half-entre" as an option. It comes with normal sides. At several others we have asked and they provided the same even tho not on the menu.

That's really good to know - that it's okay to ask. I would not have thought of that but I will try it. Saves money and gee, but portions can be so huge. I am happy to take stuff home but I would also be happy sometimes to just go out, have a nice meal and stroll away!

Plus now in this VHCOL area, a simple plate of pasta can be $25. (I shudder to think what my immigrant 1920s Italian-Americans grandparents would have thought!)

Thanks for the tip!
Last edited by PeninsulaPerson on Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
PeninsulaPerson

Recently I upgraded all of my socks to Darn Tough, boxers to Saxx, and t-shirts to Patagonia Cool Daily- both long and short sleeves ...

I had a few minutes at lunch so I checked out Patagonia.

They do have those Cool Daily t-shirts for women.

And they also have something that I have never seen on a mainstream clothing web site before - they call it Worn Wear and they say, "Worn Wear allows you to trade in and buy used Patagonia® gear."

I looked around a bit and they seem to have good stuff at very good prices.

So thank you for mentioning your upgrade and here's hoping it helps other people get good stuff from Patagonia at "Worn Wear" prices!
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

vnatale wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:20 pm
quantAndHold wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 7:26 pm We’re on our fourth machine in that time, and we spend an average of $100/year on maintenance for the machine we currently have.
I know nothing about these machines. But is that what you pay people to repair these machines? Or, is that buying some form of spare parts that you yourself replace?
It’s a $1000 espresso machine that was new back when G.W. Bush was president. That’s taking it to the shop for repairs. The parts are probably 1/3 of the cost. Espresso machines generate high pressure, and there are several gaskets and o-rings that need to be replaced every year or two. Plenty of people DIY it, but we’re not those people.
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

quantAndHold wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:34 pm
It’s a $1000 espresso machine that was new back when G.W. Bush was president. That’s taking it to the shop for repairs. The parts are probably 1/3 of the cost. Espresso machines generate high pressure, and there are several gaskets and o-rings that need to be replaced every year or two. Plenty of people DIY it, but we’re not those people.
It's a whole world that I am NOT at all acquainted with.

What type of shop does those repairs? I cannot even guess.

Finally, for how long is it not available to you and what do you do during that time to replace it?
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

Had an excellent dinner with family at home - there are so many great recipes out there - more variety at home than available at restaurants.

And a heck of a lot cheaper!

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

vnatale wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:20 pm

Finally, for how long is it not available to you and what do you do during that time to replace it?
We take it to an espresso repair shop. Most espresso repair shops mostly cater to professionals, but will handle some brands of home machines. The shop will have it for a week or two. We just make regular coffee while it’s in the shop.
Topic Author
PeninsulaPerson

Random Musings wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:49 pm
Had an excellent dinner with family at home - there are so many great recipes out there - more variety at home than available at restaurants.

And a heck of a lot cheaper!

RM

Agreed!

And sometimes it is nice to get out. In our lives, that's when we get an ocean view. Unfortunately my kitchen is landlocked ... :). Even a soft-serve by the ocean is special to me. A good cocktail and some good pea soup while the ocean is raging outside feels priceless. You have me thinking that most of the time when we eat out, it's mostly for the view!
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Yesterday was a frugal day. My vehicle, 22 years old, started like a charm and took me to the gym which is $10 a month. I then made groceries at Walmart - less expensive and cleaner than Kroger. When changing into my dressier cloths for the day, I put on my long sleeve shirt. One of four I got a Penny's over 20 years ago, they wear like iron. The pants are fairly new, another JC Penny bargain. When I told a friend I was going to have them "taken in" and told her the price, she did it for me for free.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
PinotGris

Post by PinotGris »

PeninsulaPerson wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 11:02 am
TravellingTechOnFire wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 6:27 pm
Frugal things can certainly be worth it and a good value, but not all things that are worth it are necessarily frugal. As on open forum, especially one that focuses on finances, I think its ok if people suggest that things are not frugal if they indeed are not. Maybe a "What did you do today that was a good value" thread would be appropriate? If people are so offended by someone suggesting that eating out constantly and buying sodas is not frugal, perhaps seeing things from a different perspective can be helpful.

Credit to TravellingTechOnFire for the really thought-provoking idea!

I did this about 3 weeks ago, not today. But it was an excellent value.

My husband and I were meeting friends in Boston in a place where I was not 100% sure of the parking options (even after a Google search and a phone call to the supposedly-nearest garage).

I didn't want to get stuck parking and having to walk 30 minutes to get where we were going. Plus I do most of the driving and I was sort of dreading knowing the whole day that Boston's really-bad-again afternoon rush hour traffic would be awaiting me.

I considered taking an Uber but that felt like too much of a "luxury" when I could drive our own car. But my husband thought it would be a great idea to Uber, so we did! $30-ish into the city. $45-ish coming home (surge pricing).

It was so nice to have someone else doing the driving, in our hometown! Oddly, it's not something we would ever have called a cab for but Ubering seemed more, like, sure, let's do it. I felt like I was on vacation - looking out the Uber window and noticing so many things I never see when I (rightfully) have my eyes on the road when I'm behind the wheel.

Plus we had more fun with our friends - we met in one place, took a ferry to another, had lunch in the city and then walked around relaxed, without having to even think about needing to get back to where the car was. It felt so great to be car-free in a place where all my life I have usually been worrying one way or another about the car!

It was a $75 very well spent. I would do it again and would highly recommend it!

Eager to hear what other BH-ers find genuine cross-useful value in!
This!
When we travel the most stressful aspect for us is getting to and from Logan airport. We now order a car to pick us up at home and at the airport to bring us home. It has given us much relief and well worth the cost, it has just become part of travel expense.
I also book garage spot when we go see a show in Boston which I hesitated to do before. Works great.
TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy »

Wanderingwheelz wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:31 pm Not sure Bogleheads understand the spirit of this post.

Recently I upgraded all of my socks to Darn Tough, boxers to Saxx, and t-shirts to Patagonia Cool Daily- both long and short sleeves. All bought a good sale prices, of course. I’ve always had several of each but I went all-in since, why not. $18 socks, $30 boxers and $50 t-shirts really are worth it to me for the extra comfort they bring.
I did the same a few years ago (not boxers though), the socks are by far the best bang for buck to me. bought them full price, and "factory seconds" which don't carry same warranty but so far have held up, from TJ Maxx/sierra. cool daily are nice but I am unsure how long they will survive, and if they get bad how will patagonia "repair" them. But in summer they are so comfortable!
Wanderingwheelz

Post by Wanderingwheelz »

TheOscarGuy wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:39 am
Wanderingwheelz wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:31 pm Not sure Bogleheads understand the spirit of this post.

I did the same a few years ago (not boxers though), the socks are by far the best bang for buck to me. bought them full price, and "factory seconds" which don't carry same warranty but so far have held up, from TJ Maxx/sierra. cool daily are nice but I am unsure how long they will survive, and if they get bad how will patagonia "repair" them. But in summer they are so comfortable!
A tip on buying Darn Tough. Save for them on Facebook and in short order you’ll begin getting advertisements for them. Eventually, you should receive an ad from Socksaddict.com. They’ll run a good sale from time to time, and at least in my case Facebook offered an additional 20% off if I ordered them straight from the Facebook ad. That brought the price on brand new ones to below the Marshall’s/TJ Maxx price even if you were lucky enough to find seconds in the precise style you prefer. I think I bought 8 pair with the price ending up nearly half off of factory first socks in my two preferred styles.

I wouldn’t worry too much about having Patagonia repair the t-shirts since their Iron Clad Guarantee is the best in the business. If you have something go wrong they’ll do whatever it takes to make it right. Over the last 30 years I’ve sent at least a half dozen items back and every time they refunded me or repaired what needed to be ant no charge, even if it was my fault. Once maybe 20 years ago they sewed an entire new arm of a jacket on for me because the fabric melted when I was seeking on my car engine. Once I called Arcteryx with a warranty issue and they told me tough luck and I replied wow your warranty sucks compared to Patagonia and they were quick to make an exception for me. Lol
Being wrong compounds forever.
Topic Author
PeninsulaPerson

PinotGris wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:33 am
I also book garage spot when we go see a show in Boston which I hesitated to do before. Works great.

Sounds great!

How do you do that - book a garage in Boston?
TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy »

Wanderingwheelz wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:22 am
TheOscarGuy wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:39 am

A tip on buying Darn Tough. Save for them on Facebook and in short order you’ll begin getting advertisements for them. Eventually, you should receive an ad from Socksaddict.com. They’ll run a good sale from time to time, and at least in my case Facebook offered an additional 20% off if I ordered them straight from the Facebook ad. That brought the price on brand new ones to below the Marshall’s/TJ Maxx price even if you were lucky enough to find seconds in the precise style you prefer. I think I bought 8 pair with the price ending up nearly half off of factory first socks in my two preferred styles.

I wouldn’t worry too much about having Patagonia repair the t-shirts since their Iron Clad Guarantee is the best in the business. If you have something go wrong they’ll do whatever it takes to make it right. Over the last 30 years I’ve sent at least a half dozen items back and every time they refunded me or repaired what needed to be ant no charge, even if it was my fault. Once maybe 20 years ago they sewed an entire new arm of a jacket on for me because the fabric melted when I was seeking on my car engine. Once I called Arcteryx with a warranty issue and they told me tough luck and I replied wow your warranty sucks compared to Patagonia and they were quick to make an exception for me. Lol
I have so much stuff from Arcteryx! I know what you mean, I have also heard that about their warranty. But I love Atom LT so much and even if I have to buy new, after what I have is unusable, I probably will.
Thanks for the pointers on darn tough -- I used gobros who sometimes have discounts.
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

quantAndHold wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:05 pm

We take it to an espresso repair shop. Most espresso repair shops mostly cater to professionals, but will handle some brands of home machines. The shop will have it for a week or two. We just make regular coffee while it’s in the shop.
Again. All news to me.

I just went here: https://www.espressooutlet.net/espresso ... companies/.

They have 10 locations in Massachusetts, all about 2 hours from me.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

vnatale wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:33 pm
quantAndHold wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:05 pm

Again. All news to me.

I just went here: https://www.espressooutlet.net/espresso ... companies/.

They have 10 locations in Massachusetts, all about 2 hours from me.
The guy we go to is on that list.
PinotGris

Post by PinotGris »

PeninsulaPerson wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:10 am

Sounds great!

There are several services, like this:
https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=DC ... x6BAgJEAE
Spot Hero is and there are several like this. Find a garage near the event, and you reserve a space. You get a email confirmation with a code you can scan. That will let you in. Very simple and easy.
Topic Author
PeninsulaPerson

PinotGris wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:53 pm
PeninsulaPerson wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:10 am

Sounds great!

There are several services, like this:
https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=DC ... x6BAgJEAE
Spot Hero is and there are several like this. Find a garage near the event, and you reserve a space. You get a email confirmation with a code you can scan. That will let you in. Very simple and easy.

Thank you for the tip!
Very much!

On and by the way - I realized that on that day when we took an Uber, parking in Boston would have been at least $30 for 5-ish hours. So the Uber was sort of "only" $45.

Best deal $$$-wise would have been the T but it has gotten unreliable and it wasn't a day when I wanted to deal with that.
nonnie

Post by nonnie »

Balega Hidden Comfort Performance No Show Athletic Running Socks. $16 a pair, bought four pair. Not only are they comfortable, I love the colors. I need another four pair and hope by posting here I will allow myself to order them!

I am on my third espresso machine in the past 25 years or so, a Breville Barista touch. I love lattes, DH is 100% Americano (I don't understand the concept but then I don't have to drink them.) Still using Peet's coffee, trying to convince myself to explore other, higher priced beans. I actually stopped in at a Peets store the other day and was disappointed in the latte, mine is better!

Moving to a CCRC almost 4 years ago. No one here would think it is a good value dollar-wise but remember that old Visa commercial "priceless." We really love the place but knowing this is our last move with the security of aging in place (only a few exceptions; we wouldn't even have to move for hospice) and the joy of having so many things taken care of really is priceless. Despite the cost, I can still afford $16 socks!
CletusCaddy

Post by CletusCaddy »

I drove my brand new $50k electric BMW to work instead of paying $11 round trip for the train. Felt very satisfied with myself that I had considered all-in costs of both options and took the cheaper one.