Battery Powered Lawn Equipment? Recs???

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
arthurdawg

Battery Powered Lawn Equipment? Recs???

Post by arthurdawg »

Has anyone used the latest generation of battery powered equipment? In particular i'm looking at blowers, weed eaters, and a hedge trimmer. I've finally sold out and have a yard service (more time with kids) but need to blow after storms, occasionally trim out of the way areas, etc. I have a gas weedeater (a pain to keep up when used infrequently) and electric blower and hedge trimmer... thinking about something a little more portable for light use every 3-4 weeks.
TSM / SCV / FTSE Big World / FTSE Small World / REIT / TBM / Int Term Tax Exempt
mas

Post by mas »

I have a craftsman battery powered weed eater. Its not the "latest generation" - about 7 yrs old now. When I used it regularly, I found that it was just barely acceptable on my small yard.
Dagwood

Post by Dagwood »

If you have any serious work to do, battery powered or electric equipment is inferior to gasoline powered equipment. People like electric tools because they tend to be cheaper, and they are concerned about the environment, but using them for any sort of major work is a serious waste of time.

Go to an equipment store, not a big box, and look for two brands, and two brands only -- Stihl and Echo. Both are CARB certified and if you don't drop them out of a moving car on the highway either will be the last tool of that type that you ever buy.

HTH, and good luck.
englishgirl

Post by englishgirl »

I have a Black & Decker battery powered weed eater that I bought this summer. It is one from the series that have interchangeable batteries between all the tools (I forget the name - one source or something). It is adequate for me. The charge doesn't last very long - maybe 20 minutes at most. That is enough for my arms, as the thing is quite heavy, and I only do light jobs with it, but depending on the size of your yard it may not be enough to complete whatever job you need to do. It comes with two batteries, so you could charge both, and then swap it out to complete the job, but each one needs charging for 6-9 hours so you have to plan ahead a bit.

I'm fairly happy with it, in that I don't like gas powered tools and it frees me from using a long cord. But it certainly isn't the be-all and end-all of tools.
Sarah
Topic Author
arthurdawg

Post by arthurdawg »

These would be for light use only... mainly just to free me from cords and keeping up a gas powered trimmer. The wife would also use them from time to time.
TSM / SCV / FTSE Big World / FTSE Small World / REIT / TBM / Int Term Tax Exempt
AnimalCrackers

Post by AnimalCrackers »

I have owned many corded electric string trimmers.

This year, I did some homework and bought a cordless for $90, and I've been very impressed and happy with it.

Check the 100 or more reviews on Amazon.com for: American Gardener YS24 YardStick 10-Inch 24-Volt Cordless String Trimmer.
"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." -- philosopher Mike Tyson
Eric White

Black & Decker set

Post by Eric White »

I've owned the Black & Decker set now for almost 4 years. It came with three batteries and a wall charger for all three. It includes a blower, string trimmer, and hedge clipper.

Works awesome. Very reasonable price if you buy it as a set instead of separately. I bought mine through Amazon, although I'm not sure if the newer sets come with three batteries & the triple charger:
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-CCC3 ... pd_cp_hi_1

I did replace the three batteries after three years of real serious use. At $35 each, it was a little over $100. So, I figure $33/year for batteries isn't a bad tradeoff for the convenience and time savings of no maintenance, reduced noise, and reduced pollution.

I liked the outdoor set so much, I invested in a bunch of other compatible Black & Decker tools (drill, hammer drill, saw, sawz-all, sander, etc.). Since they're all compatible, I didn't have to invest in additional batteries. I leveraged the three from the outdoor set with one from the drill. It's great because you basically have unlimited run time with minimal dedicated investment.

Highly recommended. Good for your wallet, time, and environment. No brainer!

Cheers,
Eric
SteveB3005

Post by SteveB3005 »

I believe gasoline powered equipment will keep up your property value better.

That ear piercing whing-whing-whing of a good 2 cycle stirs the competitive juices of the neighbors far better than electric. I've noticed when I'm out there with mine other neighbors are drawn outside and get with the program in their own yards.

I do have one neighbor who is little slower to react so I start on that side of the yard first while the engine is still cool to give him a little extra blue smoke and that seems to do the trick.
AnimalCrackers

Post by AnimalCrackers »

SteveB3005 wrote:I believe gasoline powered equipment will keep up your property value better.
The opposite may be the case if the property's value depends on the amount of smog surrounding it, say for example the brown cloud in the Denver Basin.
"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." -- philosopher Mike Tyson
redbeard

Post by redbeard »

I use a 4 cycle trimmer I bought at lowes and like it a great deal. It is quieter, cleaner, and less hassle than a 2 cycle. I have a number of attachments that I run off the same power head: edger, blower, pole saw, and hedge trimmer. It sure beats having 5 different small engines to accomplish the same thing.

If I were to go electric I'd look for a setup like Eric White mentioned. Interchangeability is a really nice benefit in my mind.
Boglenaut

Re: Battery Powered Lawn Equipment? Recs???

Post by Boglenaut »

arthurdawg wrote:Has anyone used the latest generation of battery powered equipment? In particular i'm looking at blowers, weed eaters, and a hedge trimmer. \
My battery weed eater works fine after 3 seasons. No cord or messy gas. But I don't use it as often as I should.
Offshore

Post by Offshore »

Okay, a bit off topic but really cool!

I've been looking at mowers and found a line that runs on LP gas! Very eco-friendly. Uses the same LP tank that a gas grills use. :wink:
Topic Author
arthurdawg

Post by arthurdawg »

Offshore wrote:Okay, a bit off topic but really cool!

I've been looking at mowers and found a line that runs on LP gas! Very eco-friendly. Uses the same LP tank that a gas grills use. :wink:
Mowing the grass has always been one of my favorite activities... you can look back and see how much better it looks after finishing. With little ones running around and a very busy job, it just made sense to have someone mow the yard for us... I plan to start back when my son is old enough to help out, I feel strongly that all men should be able to mow!
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

I bought the black and decker high end weed eater last summer. The thing is VERY powerful, 36 volt battery, almost as much power as a gas powered. The run time is not great, but it is adequate for my yard. It is fairly heavy. I have already noticed a decrease in the run time from when I bought it, so I imagine I will have to get another battery for it in a year or two. It is the best one that I have used in the battery operated field so I do highly recommend it.
The "as seen on tv" Worx has gotten some fairly good reviews, but no personal knowledge of it.
Mike
AnimalCrackers

Post by AnimalCrackers »

arthurdawg wrote:Mowing the grass has always been one of my favorite activities...
In that case, you may also be interested in another forum: http://lawnsmarts.com/

It may be the "Bogleheads" of lawncare.
Topic Author
arthurdawg

Post by arthurdawg »

thanks for the rec, crackers! i've had a hard time finding good lawn care info on the net...!
gtaylor

Post by gtaylor »

mhalley wrote:...
The "as seen on tv" Worx has gotten some fairly good reviews, but no personal knowledge of it.
Mike
I've got one, which I recently found and bought from Amazon. I would give it good marks so far:

My newish model has a lithium ion battery, as opposed to NiMH or NiCd, so it is supposed to last longer in terms of runtime and overall lifetime than some of the other battery trimmers. Runtime seems pretty good, it ought to be fine for routine trimming around most suburban properties; certainly I've never run it down on my 2 acres of weeds. Power is enough for grass and weeds around the edges, but not enough to clear large areas of weeds and brush or anything like that.

The actual trimmer itself has a high proportion of plastic in the design, but it's not obviously more plastic than competing units. The thing is very light compared to my gas trimmer, and only slightly heavier than my ancient corded electric trimmer. The sideways edging mode works OK, but the device is not powerful enough to dig a grove in dirt, only to trim an existing one.

FWIW, I bought it when my gas trimmer stopped starting. It's cheaper to buy a new gas trimmer than get the old one fixed, so I figured I'd try something marginally less mechanical and see if it would last any longer. So far I'm happy, but ask again in three years.
Topic Author
arthurdawg

Post by arthurdawg »

i have a medium duty trimmer (2 cycle, gas/oil) and it has the usual problem of not starting well when i need it... despite additives, draining it out, etc...
tonythered

Post by tonythered »

Conveniently, look at today's woot sale item:
http://www.woot.com/
Neuton CE 6 Battery-Powered Lawn Mower
$349.99 + $5 shipping
paulsiu

Post by paulsiu »

I did some research on this not too long ago. I wanted to get a cordless electric mower because I didn't want to deal with messy oil and gas. Previous to that, I owned and used a gas power mower over 20 years ago.

Cordless mower seletction are somewhat limited. The Neutron looked promising, but I decided to get a Black and decker cordless because the reviews indicated that it would work even on tall grass where the Neutron may get jammed.

Compare to the gas mower, this thing is heavy. Despite the weight, I was able to mow the lawn in about 45 min (I have roughly 1/4 - 1/3 acre) with a slight incline, but mostly flat. 20 years ago, I mowed my mom's lawn, which had a 50 degree hill all around. Let's just say if I had that sort of lawn, I would not get this mower.

Runtime is about 45 min. If you have a lawn bigger than say 1/4 acre, I would consider getting something else unless you plan to cut in two separate days. In addition, you want to cut often, taller grass will use up more power, and shorten your runtime.

Yes, the mower is heavy and didn't maneuver as well around the trees as a lighter gas mower, but it's tolerable. However, my in-law didn't like it at all and use their gas mower instead when they were housesitting. This maybe because they are used to the lighter mower and because they are all very tall. If you're 6' 2" or more, I think the mower would be somewhat uncomfortable.

Paul