best tips for shaving

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
MrWasabi65

best tips for shaving

Post by MrWasabi65 »

I'd like to upgrade from a razor and shaving cream - to an electric razor and anything that might work better at less irritation, closer shave?

Please recommend an electric razor that gives you a close shave - as well, any cream, oil, or gel that works best for a close shave and minimal irritation? tips? hassles with cleaning an electric shaver? etc. thanks
bradinsky

Re: best tips for shaving

Post by bradinsky »

MrWasabi65 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:17 am I'd like to upgrade from a razor and shaving cream - to an electric razor and anything that might work better at less irritation, closer shave?

Please recommend an electric razor that gives you a close shave - as well, any cream, oil, or gel that works best for a close shave and minimal irritation? tips? hassles with cleaning an electric shaver? etc. thanks
Braun
conservativeinvestor

Post by conservativeinvestor »

I’ve never had much luck with electric razors, gave up on them a long time ago. Tried a few and they just couldn’t compare to a razor.

Currently using Harry’s razor and blades. I recently tried a few different ones from Gillette and Harry’s are cheaper and last longer.

Also recently found Gillette labs quick rinse foam and it’s the best shaving cream I’ve found yet. It’s kind of pricey though at about $8 a can.
https://gillette.com/en-us/products/gil ... y-gillette
uaeebs86

Post by uaeebs86 »

MrWasabi65 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:17 am I'd like to upgrade from a razor and shaving cream - to an electric razor and anything that might work better at less irritation, closer shave?

There is no electric that gives a closer shave than a blade.

They are all about being quicker and less irritating. You have to decide if that's good enough for you.

I like the close shave of a razor. I'm lucky I only have to shave every other day due to a slow growing and light beard so it works for me. If I used an electric I would probably have to shave every day.
"Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out." ― John Wooden
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

I switched to double edge safety razor (DE) shaving and quality shaving soap. Will never go back to anything else.
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Not sure that is an upgrade. Convenience, yes... actual shave quality? Nope.

I would go to a safety razer, but I have no patience and would end up with blood everywhere :)
kojima

Post by kojima »

I've tried everything including a straight razor but I always go back to your regular 5 blade Gilette razor. It's quick and simple - I don't even use shaving cream but just soap in the shower and it works well. No irritation.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

I have used an electric shaver for years. Less hassle and irritatation (at least for me) although probably not as close of a shave (but I care not about that).
No hassle cleaning - I use a water proof Panasonic - I rinse it once a week - takes 20 seconds (there is a special mode that causes it to vibrate more rigorously for 20 seconds) and change the foil and blade once a year.
Others like Braun or Norelco. I have a battery powered Braun shaver that runs on AA batteries that I travel with (small/compact).
No hassles I can think of.
windaar

Post by windaar »

If you've been using canned shaving foam or gel that is the problem. Get a quality tube of shaving cream like Proraso and a good shaving brush and you'll be amazed at the difference.
Nobody knows nothing.
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

BogleMelon wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:52 am I switched to double edge safety razor (DE) shaving and quality shaving soap. Will never go back to anything else.
+1 on the above.

I have a Gillette DE adjustable razor; a Gillette Super Speed DE razor; a Merkur DE razor (really good); a Schick Hydro 5-blade razor; a Gillette Fusion razor; a Gillette Mach 3 razor.
I like to switch around, but I think the best, smoothest shave I get is the Schick Hydro 5 blade razor for sensitive skin.
I also really like the flexible top head for shaving side burns and under the nose.
When I use my DE razors, I use Astra blades….not as aggressive as Feathers.
Mostly use Proraso Shave cream in tube with a brush.
Sometimes use Barbasol; pretty good for <$2.00/can; sometimes use Aveeno Gel.

I have a Braun electric for quick touch up stuff, but not as primary shaving…just not close.

You have to experiment to find what is best for you.
Also check out Badger & Blade and Sharpologist websites.
Last edited by bondsr4me on Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Buy a quality electric. I have a higher end Panasonic. I never use it wet. Water and metal don't mix over time. I tap it out and use a small brush to clean.

Shave 2 times daily. Morning and before bed.

It takes me about 1-2 minutes if you don't get behind. I don't skip a day. Skipping days and heavy growth makes using the electric harder.

I have a Panasonic OneBlade for trimming around my neck and sometimes get pesky hairs just under the chin. And around sideburns.

It may take your skin a bit to toughen up from the electric.

Stay ahead and you'll have no issues.
Last edited by bloom2708 on Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
tonyclifton

Post by tonyclifton »

BogleMelon wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:52 am I switched to double edge safety razor (DE) shaving and quality shaving soap. Will never go back to anything else.
Same! And I experimented with a sampler pack of various DE razors before settling on Bic.

A local soap shop makes great shaving soap “pucks.”

Much less packaging waste and better shave than what I was using before “Mach 3” plus gel. My sink seems to get clogged less too :)
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Stop shaving. Huge time saver. Trim now and then with Wahl hair clipper. Takes under 30 seconds every other week. Add up those 5 minutes a day over your lifetime. Huge time waster. I let my beard become unshaven when I turned about 20. Saved all that time over the years. Calculated savings for me: 1,395 hours. Is there anything you'd like to do that can be done in under 1,395 hours?

(5 minutes a day X 365 days a year X 46 years for me divided by 60 to convert to hours)
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
user5027

Post by user5027 »

Years ago I tried an electric razor and didn't like it.

I use barbasol and amazon solimo blades.
bad1bill

Post by bad1bill »

No question that a blade provides a closer shave but I'd rather have the convenience of electric. Very personal choice. When running late, I could shave in the car on the way to work....

Your choices are foil or rotary electric. Having tried both, I prefer rotary; I believe the consensus is rotary is better for more coarse hair. I've found that rotarys last longer before replacement of the heads. Again, personal choice.
1955Chevy

Shave in passes

Post by 1955Chevy »

If a blade causes irritation, learn to shave in passes. This is huge, guys. Shave in four "passes," lathering up between each pass:

1) With the grain
2) Across the grain one way
3) Across the grain the other way
4) Against the grain.

You'll be smooth as a baby with no irritation. I wet-shave with a safety razor, but even in my Gillette days, I learned from Mantic55 that if I only shave down, I won't get a close enough shave, and if I shave against the grain, I'll get a closer shave but with lots of irritation. Four passes takes a bit more time, but it's worth it. Treat shaving (especially wet shaving) like a relaxing ritual, not some boring chore to speed through (with nicks).

People love electric for today's rushed convenience, but when you have time, at least make a couple passes to save your skin.
"Investment success accrues not so much to the brilliant as to the disciplined." | Bernstein
AznSaver

Post by AznSaver »

It might be helpful to know what type of razor and shaving cream you are using for comparison.

I currently used a Merkur safety razor w/Feather Blades and for cream I use a badger brush along Taylor of Old bond Street Shaving Soap.
Very close shave with zero irritation even thou I have sensitive skin and have to shave quite frequently. Most of my setup can be bought at an Art of Shaving Store and or Amazon and after the initial cost of the razor and brush it's probably the most economic way to shave.

There is a slight learning curve and you will have a few nicks your first few times getting used to it. You want to make sure you are shaving wet and do multiple passes by gliding the razor, i.e. not pushing it down, over the skin for the closest shaves

Electric tends to be more convenient and quicker however It would almost never be a closer shave and for me it was definitely more irritating for my skin. Shaving creams that are aerosol provide too much cream and can "clog" the blades causing the shave to not be close and hand applied creams won't lather effectively. A brush makes a huge difference in preparing the hair follicles. You can take it set further by using shaving oil along with shaving cream/soap to get even smoother and closer shave if desired.
jayjayc

Post by jayjayc »

Best thing for me to reduce irritation is to shower and apply conditioner to your facial hair. Then shave right after the shower. The shower and conditioner softens your facial hair. I don't always do this but when I do, the difference is massive.
mrmass

Post by mrmass »

jayjayc wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:52 pm Best thing for me to reduce irritation is to shower and apply conditioner to your facial hair. Then shave right after the shower. The shower and conditioner softens your facial hair. I don't always do this but when I do, the difference is massive.
I do similar. I shave while in the shower and use hair conditioner. I also have a lot to shave, I shave from the neck up :shock:
t2cycling

Post by t2cycling »

I used a rechargeable Norelco rotary razor for many years and was generally happy with it. Reasonably close shave, no irritation, easy to clean and quiet. When it finally wore out I purchased a replacement Norelco at Costco. Definitely not the same experience with this model. It seemed under powered and did not provide the same quality of shave. It also had an interchangeable sideburn trimmer vs a popup on my older model, much less convenient when wanting to do a quick touch up.
I currently have a Braun S9 Sport and am very underwhelmed with this model. Poor shave quality, awkward to hold and noisy.
I will soon purchase a new Norelco but it will definitely be the top of the line model.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

t2cycling wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:34 pm I used a rechargeable Norelco rotary razor for many years and was generally happy with it. Reasonably close shave, no irritation, easy to clean and quiet. When it finally wore out I purchased a replacement Norelco at Costco. Definitely not the same experience with this model. It seemed under powered and did not provide the same quality of shave. It also had an interchangeable sideburn trimmer vs a popup on my older model, much less convenient when wanting to do a quick touch up.
I currently have a Braun S9 Sport and am very underwhelmed with this model. Poor shave quality, awkward to hold and noisy.
I will soon purchase a new Norelco but it will definitely be the top of the line model.
I've heard others say Norelco has gone down hill so not sure if it's the model you bought or the brand in general.

Here is what I use - best shaver I've ever owned (although there were some other threads on this exact topic whereby folks didn't like my Panasonic so experiences vary):
https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Electr ... B00JWP8F3I
user5027

Post by user5027 »

Another tip is to start with a clean face. I always wash my face with soap and water and then rinse well before using the barbasol shaving cream.
Gecko10x

Post by Gecko10x »

I've been using a Supply Pro single edge for about the last year and have been quite happy with it overall. It has and adjustment that allows you to dial in how close you want your shave, which I found quite helpful. I use Gillette blades off Amazon.
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

I've never had an electric razor that shaves as close as a razor. I use Gillette Sensor2 Plus Disposable Razor (52 Pack) which is $29.29 with subscribe & save on Amazon. I splash water on, use Gillette sensitive foam, and get a good shave every time.
Light weight baby!
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Best shave: Merkur plus feather blades.
snic

Post by snic »

Apply Aquaphore after shaving. You will feel MUCH less skin irritation. Part of it is due to your skin drying out. Aquaphore is the best moisturizer there is. It also seems to soothe minor scrapes and cuts. You don't need much.

The only caveat is that if you're young and still breaking out in pimples, it might make that worse. Clogs your pores or some such nonsense. If you've already survived into the post-pimple stage of life, it'll make shaving much more enjoyable.
Raycpact

Post by Raycpact »

Besides using a good razor and good shaving cream, shave right after you shower.
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

First I have to say nothing shaves closer (or faster once you get the hang of it) than an ordinary single or double edge safety blade. Second, moisturizing skin lotion with warm water is all you need; shaving cream is a gimmick.

And while we’re on the subject of grooming, another useless and even harmful gimmick is shampoo. It’s much more expedient and healthy to skip the suds and just use the conditioner.
Last edited by tetractys on Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pointyhairedboss

Post by pointyhairedboss »

I find it less irritating if I first trim with a beard trimmer at its lowest setting and then use an electric razor.
LotsaGray

Post by LotsaGray »

If you are looking for and upgrade and your criterion is closeness, then an electric will be a down grade. I am a LONG time electric shaver user, both rotating heads like Norelco and screens like Remington IIRC. Neither gets as close as a simple twin blade disposable. And there are baldes that do better than those. Heck even old fashioned safety razor is a ;closer shave than electric (but I would not recommend those). When I need/want a good and close shave I either get a twin or better blade or more often go get a nice multiple hot towel shave done.

Now if you are looking for convenience and ease, the electrice wins hands down there. Been a long time since I owned one but the best I ever had that I recall was a Braun. Currently I own and use a Norelco. Last a long time, replacement heads easy to find and install, charge lasts long enough for a two week plus trip. But neither compares to a good blade for closeness.
windaar

Post by windaar »

Raycpact wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:07 pmBesides using a good razor and good shaving cream, shave right after you shower.
I don't disagree but better, get a fogless mirror and shave during your shower. For me, totally easier and closer than shaving at the sink. Not sure if it is the steam or the ready water. It is just better!
Nobody knows nothing.
anoop

Post by anoop »

tonyclifton wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:34 am
Same! And I experimented with a sampler pack of various DE razors before settling on Bic.

A local soap shop makes great shaving soap “pucks.”

Much less packaging waste and better shave than what I was using before “Mach 3” plus gel. My sink seems to get clogged less too :)
Same here and recently settled on Bic Chrome blades.

I get skin irritation even from clippers and foil razors that the barber uses so I requested a straight razor cleanup and now there’s no irritation.
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

I started shaving with various blade razors and stayed with them for decades. Last one was a Gillette Fusion, best of the bunch, close shaves. The downside of all the blade razors for me was the inevitable skin irritation.

A couple decades ago I tried a Norelco rotary head. Worse skin irritation for me than the blade razors. Stopped using the Norelco after a year or so and returned to blade razor.

About 6 or 7 years ago I decided to try a Braun Series 7. Success!!!!!! No more skin irritation and the shave was close enough, but not as close as a blade as others have said. I have a rather heavy beard. My routine is to shave in the morning before washing my face or showering. I do not regularly use any type of shave cream or pre-shave lubricant although I have tried them - I saw no benefit and sometimes the shaving cream allowed a bit closer shave that would give me mild skin irritation. I shower immediately after shaving. Sometimes I will use Mennen Skin Bracer after shave lotion but mostly I use nothing after showering. I clean the razor daily by removing the head, brushing out the beard "dust" then putting a squirt of liquid hand soap into the head, replacing the head on the razor and running the razor for a minute or so under very hot water. I dry the razor body and head with a towel and then set aside to air dry any remaining moisture until the next morning. Works for me, but as others have said, it's a personal choice for what works best for you.
langelgjm

Post by langelgjm »

Count me as another for DE safety razor with shaving soap. I have a simple Merkur and prefer Personna blades but can use Astra, etc. My face doesn't like Feather blades.

I haven't used an electric shaver since high school. Used Mach 3 for years but switched to DE over a year ago and will never go back.

One minor annoyance is that since you can't bring razor blades on planes, you need to find them at your destination, but they're one of the few personal care products you'll probably be able to get almost anywhere in the world.
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." - John Bogle | "If I am what I have and if what I have is lost, who then am I?" - Erich Fromm
anoop

Post by anoop »

langelgjm wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:06 am Count me as another for DE safety razor with shaving soap. I have a simple Merkur and prefer Personna blades but can use Astra, etc. My face doesn't like Feather blades.

I haven't used an electric shaver since high school. Used Mach 3 for years but switched to DE over a year ago and will never go back.

One minor annoyance is that since you can't bring razor blades on planes, you need to find them at your destination, but they're one of the few personal care products you'll probably be able to get almost anywhere in the world.
Only if not checking luggage. When in that situation, I used to carry a single blade cartridge — the Gillette Guard — for that.
dcabler

Post by dcabler »

I used an electric for decades, starting in high school, but the shave was never as close as I liked. But with a blade I always got irritation and bumps. What finally worked for me was to use a low foam cream from "King of Shaves". At the time it was imported from the UK, but since then it was ultimately acquired by one of the big guys in the US. So some of the formulation options have changed, but the closest one to what I used back in the day is this one (with aloe and tea tree oil)
https://www.amazon.com/King-Shaves-Alph ... 9hdGY&th=1

Over a decade ago I stopped and grew a beard. It's just trading one type of maintenance for another. :D

Cheers.
cheesepep

Post by cheesepep »

I use an electric razor -- a cheap one -- $35 at Walmart and it does wonders for my face. Doesn't cut me at all. But it also doesn't shave very closely. I follow it up using a 3-4 blade razor only on certain areas of my face. But doing so may result in 1-2 cuts to my skin where blood will be drawn.

But compared to using the bladed razor exclusively, I have a lot less cuts on my face thanks to the electric razor.
BenMcCool

Post by BenMcCool »

I hate the noise of electric shavers, but I almost bought one until I found Nivea Sensitive Shave Gel on Amazon. I had used several shave creams and gels, and even a pre-shave, but they all felt like the razor was scraping my face. The Nivea is amazing - no scrapes and no pre-shave needed. I also tried several razors, but I eventually just settled on Gillette Fusion blades bought on sale at Costco.
tuningfork

Post by tuningfork »

I use Harry's razor cartridges and a shaving cream on my face, and a Braun series 7 electric for my head. That gives me the Jeff Bezos look, though without the finances and yacht to go with it. 8-)

I tried the Braun on my face a few times and didn't like it, and I don't want to try the razor on the back of my head where I can't see what I'm doing.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

Another option for electric shavers are products like lectric shave. Cremo is a good cheap shave cream. Harry's is also good. Before I grew my beard I enjoyed experiment ing with different shave products. Ifyou are startng out with de shaving, a product by leaf shave called the twig is great. It has a built in angle , so is a little more forgiving for the new de shaver.
zeep

Post by zeep »

Agree that an electric shaver will almost give a less close shave and be more irritating than a manual razor.

The Gillette Mach3 is often rated as providing a better shave than the 5-blade systems. https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/revi ... nual-razor

I've always chuckled at the Fusion. Maybe some people have a tougher beard than I do, but "fusion" seems a bit more than I need to shave my face :) .

While I buy the less expensive Mach3 blades, I've become fond of quality shave creams like Proraso or the ridiculously expensive Jack Black Beard Lube, which gives me a great close shave. [Would love to hear good alternatives that are similar).
psteinx

Post by psteinx »

Looking to up my shaving game a bit:

Shaving is a trade-off between various factors - time to prep, time to shave, closeness of shave, irritation of shave, cuts (sometimes), and cost of shaving.

I'm fortunate that I'm virtually never irritated by shaving, in various ways I've tried. But closeness & time *are* significant factors for me - I can look swarthy if I don't get a close/decent shave (and sometimes even if I do).

Longtime main method is shower shaving, BUT, it seems to take a long time of standing in the shower before my beard is soft enough to shave well. I guess I could throw some conditioner on - not sure if it speeds things up much. I use cheap disposable 2-blade razors, in part so I don't feel guilty switching them out often. Am open to re-trying fancy multi-blade Gilettes or whatever, but am skeptical based on my usage a long time ago. One issue with shower shaving is that my shower schedule is irregular, and not always in synch with when I want to be freshly shaved.

Plan B is an old Braun screen electric, shaving dry (no shower, cream, etc.) It's passable, but not a smooth shave. I could buy more/different electrics to try them out, but am a little skeptical that any are significantly better. Not sure how often one should replace the blade-mechanism inside this thing, but I don't do it often, at all - not sure you can easily buy the replacements at Wal-Mart/Target anyways.

Thoughts/recommendations?
BenMcCool

Post by BenMcCool »

I used Barbasol, Gillette shaving gel, and Shave Secret shaving oil. All of them produced irritation. I finally found Nivea Men Sensitive Shaving Gel., It works so well that I threw my shaving oil away. The Nivea and Gillette Pro-Glide blades from Costco give me a near perfect shave with no irritation.
Second Round

Post by Second Round »

I went double-edged safety razor for a couple years plus. First year - amazing, felt I would never go back. [BTW, far fewer nicks, and only minor ones, too]

After a year I reordered my favorite blades from the variety I tried in the first year. They performed very poorly - lots of pulling, either right away or much sooner than during the prior year. I lost confidence in the manufacturers and returned to twin blade pivoting disposables with a comfort strip. They work well overall, far better than the 2nd year DE experience. Not as good as 1st year DE experience. But that now seems elusive.

Would love to go back to DE but have trust issues with the industry. Maybe if I had stuck to Feathers (which actually weren't part of my re-order, they were just OK first year). IDK.
backpacker61

Post by backpacker61 »

I use an electric Norelco. It's not as close as a manual razor but is quick.

I like the ones that are not cordless, so that there is no battery that will cease accepting a charge over time.
“Now shall I walk or shall I ride? | 'Ride,' Pleasure said; | 'Walk,' Joy replied.” | | ― W.H. Davies
psteinx

Post by psteinx »

Second Round wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:18 pm I went double-edged safety razor for a couple years plus. First year - amazing, felt I would never go back. [BTW, far fewer nicks, and only minor ones, too]
A few years ago I picked up the gear for this from a shaving store in a mall (safety razor, brush, etc.) Takes a while to lather, and I was nicking myself a fair amount (which I rarely do with my older methods). Didn't stick with the safety razor method for long...
billc23

Post by billc23 »

The gel makes a big difference. I use:
ELEMIS Skin Soothe Shave Gel.

The same company sells an excellent exfoliator that I use 2 to 3 times a week:
ELEMIS Skin Buff, Deep Cleansing Exfoliator

I have been happier with Schick hydro 5 blades than all the others I have tried.

Using an exfoliator smooths the skin for a great shave.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

bradinsky wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:20 am

Braun
For electric I too recommend Braun. I have a series 9.

For blade shaving I recommend Schick Hydro 5. I came to this because of my like for Cremo shampoo and shave cream. So I ordered the Cremo razor. I did NOT like the razor but I really liked the blades -- a dilemma! A little research told me the blades were the same as a Schick Hydro so I got me one of those, and it was true. I much prefer the Schick razor itself over the Cremo so now I have the best of both -- Schick razor with Schick blades.

I generally shave in the shower with the Schick razor and blades. Sometimes, if I need a quick shave, I go with the Braun. It shaves almost (but not quite) as well as the Schick setup.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

A Braun electric shaver and Cremo shave cream are the best combination I've found after years. (And I use a beard trimmer for getting difficult spots.)
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

zeep wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:40 pm Agree that an electric shaver will almost give a less close shave and be more irritating than a manual razor.

The Gillette Mach3 is often rated as providing a better shave than the 5-blade systems. https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/revi ... nual-razor
I agree with both you and Wirecutter.
I have tried 4 and 5 blade models. Too many blades=too much space=inability to get at tough areas like right under your nose. You pay more for blades and get less performance.
I went back to the Mach 3 and find it optimal. There is a version of the Mach 3 that optionally vibrates with a button (I forget its name) and that is my favorite....adds some of the advantage of an electric without the disadvantages. (it runs on an AAA battery so I guess it is "optionally electric").
I never found a dedicated electric that I liked.