How to evict skunk family living under shed?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
snackdog

How to evict skunk family living under shed?

Post by snackdog »

I have detected (via video) a family of about six skunks living in a hole they dug under my shed. I think they have been there less than a week. Most are smaller and appear to be offspring so perhaps they will move along when grown?

Cute animals but they need to go. I have spread some expensive Skunk deterrent powder around the area but not sure it is working. I will try leaving a light on as well.

Any other suggestions?

Are these animals nocturnal? I don't want to seal up the hole with them in there.
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
livesoft

Re: How to evict skunk family living under shed?

Post by livesoft »

I only see the skunks in our neighborhood in the early mornings before sunrise. OK. also see some of them at the group mail boxes picking up their mail.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Years ago, my neighbor used lights all night and loud music. She left them (as I recall 6 to 8) an escape route and closed it when they left.

Seemed to work, but took some time.

Good luck :happy
02nz

Post by 02nz »

A relative gardens a lot and finds coffee grounds effective in repelling many critters; a quick Google search suggests they're effective against skunks. Call your local Starbucks and ask them to set aside grounds for you to pick up (unless you drink coffee in truly massive quantities).
MindBogler

Post by MindBogler »

Call a pest control company.
Lastrun

Post by Lastrun »

Years ago we had a house in a rural area with a small cabin on it that you could see from the driveway. While we were in the process of selling the house, a family of skunks moved in under the old cabin and would be seen frolicking out in the front.

Realtor called one day after a showing and said lose the skunks.

The family of skunks all died in a mysterious hunting accident.
MindBogler wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:27 am Call a pest control company.

This is the right answer.
Swansea

Post by Swansea »

Soak a t shirt in green ammonia and put it where they hangout.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Pest control company. Then close up whatever openings they’re using to get under there, or it will happen again.
MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat »

Being they're wild animals I'd give the fish, wildlife and parks agency a call. They're pretty responsive in our area.
Agent 99

Post by Agent 99 »

snackdog wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:04 am I have detected (via video) a family of about six skunks living in a hole they dug under my shed. I think they have been there less than a week. Most are smaller and appear to be offspring so perhaps they will move along when grown?

Cute animals but they need to go. I have spread some expensive Skunk deterrent powder around the area but not sure it is working. I will try leaving a light on as well.

Any other suggestions?

Are these animals nocturnal? I don't want to seal up the hole with them in there.
Skunks are protected species in some states. Call an animal removal company.
Topic Author
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

Agent 99 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:58 am
snackdog wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:04 am I have detected (via video) a family of about six skunks living in a hole they dug under my shed. I think they have been there less than a week. Most are smaller and appear to be offspring so perhaps they will move along when grown?

Any other suggestions?

It is legal to shoot or trap them in our state but I would prefer not to deal with the next steps in either case so hoping to encourage them to relocate.
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
steadyosmosis

Post by steadyosmosis »

I bet they will be gone soon on their own, especially if you make it less desirable by leaving a light on at night near there.
Like most nature critters, skunks are seldom a major problem unless they feel threatened.
Early-retired: AA ~60/40: HSA,RIRA,taxable each ~100% equities: ~100% fixed income in tax-deferred (401k, traditional IRA) plus some spillover equities: spend from taxable: re-balance in tax-deferred.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Haven't had the issue, but I've heard tell of people sticking a lot of fresh dryer sheets in critter holes.
"Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." Quentin Crisp 1908-1999
Agent 99

Post by Agent 99 »

A friend had skunks move in under the house in the winter and needed an animal removal company to make sure they were all gone. It took several trips. Since it’s summer and they are nocturnal they are probably there temporarily maybe to raise the little ones. Can you see how many are in there? Or reposition the camera to determine if/when the space is empty? Then run out and seal it up.
FeralCat

Post by FeralCat »

A pest removal company will destroy them. They are also not likely to survive relocation. Why not just let them live there for a while? My neighbor has foxes living under her shed. I always have rabbits living in my bushes. It seems that skunks eat rodents, which is certainly useful.

If you have to get rid of them, then put a camera on the area, and when they are all out from under the shed, block the entrance so that they can't get back in.
ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf »

MindBogler wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:27 am Call a pest control company.
+1

Do not do this yourself as you are just asking to get sprayed.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

snackdog wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:02 am
Agent 99 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:58 am

Any other suggestions?

It is legal to shoot or trap them in our state but I would prefer not to deal with the next steps in either case so hoping to encourage them to relocate.
Even if you trap them yourself, you will want the pest control company to pick up the traps.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

FeralCat wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 12:11 pm A pest removal company will destroy them. They are also not likely to survive relocation. Why not just let them live there for a while? My neighbor has foxes living under her shed. I always have rabbits living in my bushes. It seems that skunks eat rodents, which is certainly useful.

If you have to get rid of them, then put a camera on the area, and when they are all out from under the shed, block the entrance so that they can't get back in.
I’m guessing you’ve never had skunks living under your shed. It’s quite a bit more pungent than foxes or rabbits. My neighbor had a skunk. Her dog got sprayed five times before she figured out it was living under her shed.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

Call a pest removal company. Be careful using your shed until removed especially at night as the skunks can be very territorial. After removal, pour cement into their entrance/exit holes.

The odor in my shed was very pungent for months. I had to put a plug in air freshener in there to help with the smell.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Also, you haven’t lived until your neighbor is standing under your bedroom window at 3 am, cursing, while washing her massively skunk covered dog. Two nights in a row. The smell woke us up, not the cursing.
FeralCat

Post by FeralCat »

I agree if there are dogs or kids, the skunks should be encouraged to move - preferably in the fall once the babies have left the nest. Pest removal will drown them in dunking tanks. Skunks are nocturnal so they are going to stay under the shed when people are around. The solution for dogs out at 3 am (notice this is a nocturnal time), is to not let them out at 3 am. Dogs can also get into fights with foxes and racoons late at night. Or should we just annihilate all wildlife?
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

FeralCat wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:54 pm I agree if there are dogs or kids, the skunks should be encouraged to move - preferably in the fall once the babies have left the nest. Pest removal will drown them in dunking tanks. Skunks are nocturnal so they are going to stay under the shed when people are around. The solution for dogs out at 3 am (notice this is a nocturnal time), is to not let them out at 3 am. Dogs can also get into fights with foxes and racoons late at night. Or should we just annihilate all wildlife?
Or perhaps the OP should just open the doors to the house and let whatever wanders in take up permanent residence?
“Maybe the lesson of the massive failure to forecast inflation is that inflation is just bloody hard to forecast.” | - John cochrane
Artsdoctor

Post by Artsdoctor »

Do NOT call a pest removal company randomly. If you want them gone, I would strongly recommend that you call an agency or a company with experience in removing skunks (not just pests). Whenever you're dealing with skunks, you will have TWO goals, not one: you will want to remove the skunk(s) AND you will want to do it without have them spray. In your particular situation, at least they're not under your house so if they spray, it won't be the end of the world.

They are nocturnal. Your situation is more complex since you're not dealing with one, but with several.

If you decide to go with a company that has experience, I would ask the company how much experience they've had, how they're going to get them out, how they're going to retrieve them, and what they're going to do with them.

If the shed is close to your neighbor's property, you could be a good neighbor and give your neighbor notice since no one is going to want to leave windows opens while you're attempting to capture a skunk family.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Every state is different, but in VA, a wildlife removal company has to be licensed. As an example, here is the link to Virginia's website: https://dwr.virginia.gov/wildlife/nuisance/trappers/
https://dwr.virginia.gov/wildlife/nuisa ... aggression.

Let the company handle disposal. Relocation is generally not an option since it's a way diseases are spread, but they will know.

Where I live, animal control will drop off traps, but I wouldn't even attempt that with a skunk.
"Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." Quentin Crisp 1908-1999
bcc1234

Post by bcc1234 »

try moth balls.

bcc
cubs1999

Post by cubs1999 »

FeralCat wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:54 pm I agree if there are dogs or kids, the skunks should be encouraged to move - preferably in the fall once the babies have left the nest. Pest removal will drown them in dunking tanks. Skunks are nocturnal so they are going to stay under the shed when people are around. The solution for dogs out at 3 am (notice this is a nocturnal time), is to not let them out at 3 am. Dogs can also get into fights with foxes and racoons late at night. Or should we just annihilate all wildlife?
I personally would go with this option. I figure once the kits are grown, leave the lights on etc to deter them from the area and then seal up the holes when they are all out from under the shed. I know I'm weird in that I trapped live mice in my house vs snap trapping them.

While the spray is a worry, I like house this skunk will eat rodents etc. I see skunks in my neighborhood so they must be living somewhere.
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

Our friends had a skunk family take up residence in their chimney. After the pest control company applied male skunk hormones to the area, the mother skunk immediately moved her family out of the chimney. Apparently male skunks can be a threat to baby skunks. In this case, the smell did the trick and immediately solved the problem.

Good luck!
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

How she figured out the skunk was under the shed was because the shed is her workout room, and when she dropped a weight, she discovered that there was a skunk under the shed the hard way. Should she just never use her shed again?

I get that you want to save Bambi or something like that, but this is a skunk in an urban neighborhood where skunks are invasive pests that survive by eating pet food, not an endangered butterfly.
Topic Author
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

I've added a second camera (closer) and a light so we shall see what happens tonight. I like the Ammonia Towel suggestion.
FeralCat

Post by FeralCat »

If skunks are getting access to pet food, the pet food should not be left out. Pet food will attract rats which are an even worse urban scourge.
BenfromToronto

Post by BenfromToronto »

A friend of mine had the same problem: a family of skunks moved under her shed.
She put some laxatives inside foodstuff.
The skunks ate the foodstuff and the laxatives.
Once they got diarrhea and soiled their den, they left.
No spraying, no smell; minimal cost.
Becoming rich slowly is simple --earn, save, invest following a Bogleheads philosophy-- but it is not easy.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

snackdog wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:56 pm I've added a second camera (closer) and a light so we shall see what happens tonight. I like the Ammonia Towel suggestion.
It's now 3 days later. What happened?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
mggray17

Post by mggray17 »

I had this problem also. Built a new deck at ground level. Bottom of deck joists were even with the ground. Groundhogs dug under the deck in the first fall / winter. These are the burrows that skunks like. The skunks moved in the 2nd fall / winter. I tried all of the above methods (except one) for months to no avail. The one that worked was noise. Placed an old boom box on the deck tuned to a local radio station, loud enough to be a nuisance to them, but not the neighbors for about 3 days. The skunks left. I bought some chicken wire to cover the bottom of the outside edges of the deck, brought it out about 2 feet and covered with mulch. No more skunks or ground hogs under the deck. I still see them meandering through the backyard, but they're not living under any part of my home.
Topic Author
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

Night One - I had applied the $50 Skunk Away powder. No effect whatsoever.
Night Two - I left an overhead light on all night. They seemed to enjoy the extra lighting.
Night Three - I lobbed an ammonia-soaked t-shirt into the den opening. Far as I can tell they are using it as a pillow.
Night Four - I put a spare Amazon Echo tuned to Sports Talk all night. Mom was gone hunting moles. Kids stayed in den mostly.

Will keep up the harassment with talk radio, etc. They say it may take several days. Not sure what next escalation would be. The poop stinks to high heaven. I guess in a few weeks the kids will be old enough to hunt on their own and move out.

bertilak

Post by bertilak »

ScubaHogg wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:57 pm
Or perhaps the OP should just open the doors to the house and let whatever wanders in take up permanent residence?
That's how we got our last two cats!
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Onlineid3089

Post by Onlineid3089 »

I say you take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

One time a skunk got into one of my brother's hog barns when the site sat empty for a few weeks. Ate some rat poison and died down inside an empty feeder. Should have seen us jump back when we were going through setting the feeders/waters and getting the barns ready for pigs and noticed it down in there. Obviously we did not know it was dead :shock:
LotsaGray

Post by LotsaGray »

The solution to a 3AM dog spaying is a 1AM case of .22 cal lead poisoning. But skunks and similar varmints are seldom a problem because my dog, often dogs, live outside which tends to keep the varmints away. BTW where do you expect my dog to be at 3AM other than my backyard?
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

FeralCat wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:19 pm If skunks are getting access to pet food, the pet food should not be left out. Pet food will attract rats which are an even worse urban scourge.
I agree with you, but no matter how it’s getting fed, if a skunk or rat takes up residence under my shed, I’m calling pest control.

The only time I was happy having skunks was when the sound of a small animal screaming woke me up in the middle of the night to watch a skunk kill a gopher in my backyard. Gophers are much harder on the garden than skunks are.
toomanysidehustles

Post by toomanysidehustles »

snackdog wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:04 am
Any other suggestions?

Into some Diy? Ghost pepper hot sauce (franks red hot in the gallon size works), 4 tbsp olive oil, Dawn dish soap all mixed together. Rotten buttermilk if you have it as a bonus. Use paint strainers to strain solids from liquids. Spray the crap out of the area in a spray bottle...do this early when there is no wind and wear eye protection and a mask! This also works for deer, rabbits, snakes and even some bugs that like to chew leaves (caterpillars and grasshoppers). You will need to reapply if it rains heavy.
Artsdoctor

Post by Artsdoctor »

How do you define "shed"? Is this an old lean-to with rakes and shovels, or is it a finished mini-ADU? The reason it's important to define is because you'll need to decide how important it is to get your skunks out without at least one spraying. Skunk spray is oily and will get into the wood.

I've heard of trappers using peanut butter and marshmallows to lure a skunk out at night in order to then trap it. I've also heard of tuna fish. But if you're dealing with a family, that's more complicated. This is going to be a tough job for you to do by yourself and I'd really consider having someone with a lot of experience do it.
PottedPlant

Post by PottedPlant »

Court order?
Mashed or Baked Potatoes?
tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 »

Smoke bombs!!!
JayDee37

Post by JayDee37 »

This happened to my parents a few years back. A mama skunk and her litter moved in under their backyard garden shed. Well, my mom is very into all natural remedies and DIY, so she did some research and came across the following solution:

Human urine.

I kid you not, apparently skunks are repelled by human urine (or the urine of any animal they consider to be a predator, but it’s more difficult to get ahold of, say, coyote urine, so…)

So my dad very obligingly watered the entrance to the under-shed den, morning and night, until the mama skunk and her babies vacated the property. Apparently it took four or five days. Then my parents filled up the entrance to the den with rocks.

True story. Let us know if you go this route, and whether it works!
Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? | ~Mary Oliver
vested1

Post by vested1 »

quantAndHold wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:49 am Pest control company. Then close up whatever openings they’re using to get under there, or it will happen again.
+1, and much better than the method my mom used, then again, she was one of a kind. (Advance warning of graphic detail)

We were visiting extended family on their farm in a different state when they happened to mention that a family of skunks had moved in under their henhouse, and had been stealing the eggs. My mom asked if they had a shovel. We all watched in disbelief from the safety of the porch as she took the shovel out to the henhouse and dug them out, killing them with it, one by one as they emerged. In the process she got covered in spray, some of which got in her eyes, which was apparently very painful.

We all piled into the Vista Cruiser with her to take her to the hospital after washing out her eyes offered no relief. I remember what a sight we must have been, 7 of us packed in the car, speeding down the road with our heads hanging out of the windows as far as possible in an attempt to escape the stench. The scene at the hospital was equally memorable. I have many such memories of my mom's exploits.

Actually, skunks are pretty friendly and I would suggest a more humane method of dealing with them, like mothballs, which they hate. We used to have skunks, raccoons, opossums, and occasionally coyotes at night, in the park next to our house on the central coast of California. One evening my wife and I were having a glass of wine on the back deck and saw two skunks walking in the park. I whistled at them and they immediately turned and started running eagerly toward us, apparently thinking we were going to feed them, tails raised in excitement. We retreated inside to their great disappointment.
Yooper

Post by Yooper »

vested1 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:23 am
quantAndHold wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:49 am Pest control company. Then close up whatever openings they’re using to get under there, or it will happen again.
+1, and much better than the method my mom used, then again, she was one of a kind. (Advance warning of graphic detail)

We were visiting extended family on their farm in a different state when they happened to mention that a family of skunks had moved in under their henhouse, and had been stealing the eggs. My mom asked if they had a shovel. We all watched in disbelief from the safety of the porch as she took the shovel out to the henhouse and dug them out, killing them with it, one by one as they emerged. In the process she got covered in spray, some of which got in her eyes, which was apparently very painful.

We all piled into the Vista Cruiser with her to take her to the hospital after washing out her eyes offered no relief. I remember what a sight we must have been, 7 of us packed in the car, speeding down the road with our heads hanging out of the windows as far as possible in an attempt to escape the stench. The scene at the hospital was equally memorable. I have many such memories of my mom's exploits.

Actually, skunks are pretty friendly and I would suggest a more humane method of dealing with them, like mothballs, which they hate. We used to have skunks, raccoons, opossums, and occasionally coyotes at night, in the park next to our house on the central coast of California. One evening my wife and I were having a glass of wine on the back deck and saw two skunks walking in the park. I whistled at them and they immediately turned and started running eagerly toward us, apparently thinking we were going to feed them, tails raised in excitement. We retreated inside to their great disappointment.
Dude! Your mother is my hero. That story (and the other stories you alluded to) is legendary. You really should jot them down for posterity. Your siblings/children would love to read them sometime and fondly recall old times or gain insight on a side of grandma they never really knew.
tunafish

Post by tunafish »

FeralCat wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 12:11 pm A pest removal company will destroy them. They are also not likely to survive relocation. Why not just let them live there for a while? My neighbor has foxes living under her shed. I always have rabbits living in my bushes. It seems that skunks eat rodents, which is certainly useful.

+1. Yes, I don't understand this common reaction, It's a wild animal kill it. How about instead, it's a wild animal doing us no harm, live and let live. Especially since we're responsible for destroying its habitat.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

tunafish wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:27 am

+1. Yes, I don't understand this common reaction, It's a wild animal kill it. How about instead, it's a wild animal doing us no harm, live and let live. Especially since we're responsible for destroying its habitat.
All of these “doing us no harm” comments must from people who’ve never lived up close and personal with a skunk family.
vested1

Post by vested1 »

Yooper wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:33 am

Dude! Your mother is my hero. That story (and the other stories you alluded to) is legendary. You really should jot them down for posterity. Your siblings/children would love to read them sometime and fondly recall old times or gain insight on a side of grandma they never really knew.
I was the youngest of 5. I wrote a short book recounting, in chapter form, 20 or so of our adventures growing up with pictures and illustrations, and presented it to my parents at their 50th wedding anniversary party (they had 72 anniversaries before dying). I went on to write quite a few articles and over 100 short stories, many of which were taken from my childhood. I also wrote my mom's obituary, which was to say the least, non-traditional.
TechExec

Post by TechExec »

Yooper wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:33 am

Me too! What a great story! What a great woman!

:sharebeer
tunafish

Post by tunafish »

quantAndHold wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:45 am
tunafish wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:27 am

All of these “doing us no harm” comments must from people who’ve never lived up close and personal with a skunk family.
I had skunks in my yard. They are beautiful, elegant animals.