If you could wake up anywhere tomorrow morning, where would it be?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Poor Rod

Re: If you could wake up anywhere tomorrow morning, where would it be?

Post by Poor Rod »

Damocles wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:48 pm I'd wake up on a small ship off the Croatian coast, sailing out of Dubrovnik en route to Split. We've done Split to Dubrovnik and I'd go back and do the whole thing again in a heartbeat, but maybe in reverse. Stop in early afternoon off the gorgeous Croatian coast for a swim while the crew makes lunch, enjoy amazing white wine on the deck as the ship continues on. Overnight in a different and beautiful small port city. Evening meals out in town, sleep on the boat in port, then sail in the morning to the next destination. End in Split and visit Diocletian's Palace and enjoy more fresh seafood!
I agree, as I did this just a month ago and wish I never left. The swimming was great, and I recall thinking to myself "You know, this is here all of the time, why aren't I?"

It was amazing just how affordable these seven day small ship (about 36 passengers) trips can be. The best part is spending the evenings in town. Larger cruises arrive early, leave by late afternoon, and people miss the best time to be in these towns.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Cottage on an island off Coast of Maine. On a cove so you can easily watch the tide. The weather is changeable which keeps it interesting. Fish and lobster readily available. Books , radio and a small portable loom available..
jaqenhghar

Post by jaqenhghar »

Dottie57 wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 2:48 pm Cottage on an island off Coast of Maine. On a cove so you can easily watch the tide. The weather is changeable which keeps it interesting. Fish and lobster readily available. Books , radio and a small portable loom available..
This sounds wonderful! Do you have a particular recommendation for a cottage or island?
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

jaqenhghar wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:20 pm
Dottie57 wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 2:48 pm Cottage on an island off Coast of Maine. On a cove so you can easily watch the tide. The weather is changeable which keeps it interesting. Fish and lobster readily available. Books , radio and a small portable loom available..
This sounds wonderful! Do you have a particular recommendation for a cottage or island?
Unfortunately no. I was able to go on a friend’s trip and other’s did the renting of Cottage.

Suggest you start with with Maine tourism and google various terms to see what pops up. Maybe even the AirBnB.
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

Poor Rod wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 2:37 pm
Damocles wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:48 pm I'd wake up on a small ship off the Croatian coast, sailing out of Dubrovnik en route to Split. We've done Split to Dubrovnik and I'd go back and do the whole thing again in a heartbeat, but maybe in reverse. Stop in early afternoon off the gorgeous Croatian coast for a swim while the crew makes lunch, enjoy amazing white wine on the deck as the ship continues on. Overnight in a different and beautiful small port city. Evening meals out in town, sleep on the boat in port, then sail in the morning to the next destination. End in Split and visit Diocletian's Palace and enjoy more fresh seafood!
I agree, as I did this just a month ago and wish I never left. The swimming was great, and I recall thinking to myself "You know, this is here all of the time, why aren't I?"

It was amazing just how affordable these seven day small ship (about 36 passengers) trips can be. The best part is spending the evenings in town. Larger cruises arrive early, leave by late afternoon, and people miss the best time to be in these towns.
Exactly. The experience to cost ratio is amazing. We plan to go back there.

A close second for us on the experience to cost ratio would be our self-drive safari in Namibia. We used https://www.acacianamibia.com/ but there are several companies that do this.

Black Rhinos, Honey Badgers, and tracking prides of Lions across the Etosha Pan... When you wake up and there's an elephant drinking water out of your two-person pool, you know you are not in Kansas anymore. Grab some Appletisers and Biltong when driving your 4x4 between amazing safari lodges. Heel Lekker!
Poor Rod

Post by Poor Rod »

Oh man, Namibia is on my list. That looks like fun, thanks for sharing.
blackwhisker

Post by blackwhisker »

anoop wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:46 pm In an alternate universe where my health was perfect. :)

I would talk about places I’ve visited and like but they probably aren’t anything like when I visited.

When I visited the outer banks in NC back in the mid 90’s it was paradise, very natural and you could spot wild horses. Based on what I heard from a friend, it is nothing like that now having been overdeveloped. Likewise Vancouver was one of the cleanest cities in the world when I first visited it in 1996. Many years later (late 2000’s IIRC) I was shocked to see junkies shooting up in the streets.

So travel holds no appeal for me. To quote the Eagles — Call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye.
Anoop, your comment really resonates with me. Thank you. I wish you the best of health.
The area I live in used to be very nice 20 years ago. I wish I could wake up tomorrow and just go there. Back then, we didn't need AC in the summer, the air was clean, drivers yielded to pedestrians. Back then, we had our local Borders bookstore and Barnes and Nobles, local hobby shops, toysrus, and mom-and-pop toys stores, etc.
backofbeyond

Post by backofbeyond »

Snorkeling the Great Barrier Reef off of Port Douglas Australia. Best day of my life was doing that...plan on going back in April 2025.
The question isn't at what age I want to retire, it is at what income. - George Foreman
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

Pienza, Italy
Vanguard/Fidelity | 76% US Stock | 16% Int'l Stock | 8% Cash
the_wiki

Post by the_wiki »

backofbeyond wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:32 pm Snorkeling the Great Barrier Reef off of Port Douglas Australia. Best day of my life was doing that...plan on going back in April 2025.
Sounds fun, but not sure I’d want to *wake up* in the ocean! :shock:
bradinsky

Post by bradinsky »

Sounds wonderful!
hudson

Post by hudson »

An off the grid cabin in the winter with a supply of wood, coffee, and beer.
Add rain.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

hudson wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:49 pm An off the grid cabin in the winter with a supply of wood, coffee, and beer.
Add rain.
I like a bit of electricity. But no radio and TV is just fine.
WhitePuma

Post by WhitePuma »

Stuck on a life raft in the middle of the Pacific ocean with 1990s Denise Richards and some pizza.

Post by 123 »

Easy Street
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Circe

Post by Circe »

bob60014 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:23 pm Zihuatanejo, Mexico. ;) ;)
I laughed when I saw this. It sure looked pretty. Have you actually been there?

I've only been to Cancun and Cozumel in Mexico to dive back in the '80's.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

I just moved (last month) back westward. Except for college I've only lived in 2 states, 2,000 miles apart, but I've moved back and forth 7 times although one was on a per diem basis.

When I was younger moving wasn't a big deal. It was painful/stressful but didn't bother me much emotionally. Now that this might be my final move and I may not return to my home state, except on visits, I find it much more emotionally and stressful. My only remaining family lives back east and aren't getting any younger. My wife's family is all westward but while they are family, I don't really know them or have spent much time with any of them so it seems awkward to me.

My friends from my previous moves westward have mostly all move on or we just stopped talking. Basically I know 2 people here and one lives a good 75-90 minutes away. My wife is quite happy returning but I'm not although I'm not sure whether staying east was going to be good long term. And starting over somewhere else seems intimidating when you are retired.

Ideally if I could wake up anywhere tomorrow, it would be at least 20 years ago or more and redo parts of my life to appreciate things more. I also wouldn't mind waking up somewhere in western Europe such as Germany (Bavaria), northern Italy or maybe Austria. I actually love snow and a snowstorm is my happiest time of the year, which I'll miss living out west.

Enjoy life, it goes by way too quickly.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
Tdubs

Post by Tdubs »

DesertDiva wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:11 pm Amalfi Coast
+1
Raycpact

Post by Raycpact »

Next to my wife,
mrmass

Post by mrmass »

WhitePuma wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:09 pm Stuck on a life raft in the middle of the Pacific ocean with 1990s Denise Richards and some pizza.
And leave Neve Campbell behind?
moneywise3

Post by moneywise3 »

max12377 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:40 am Well, this is probably cheating but I would wake up in the bed/house I grew up in. Parents would still be living, life would be as complicated as which baseball cards I would want to trade, and the neighborhood kids would be at the door ready to play football in the street.
Exactly my idea. Mom's lap would be a bonus.
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

in a world without mental or physical illness.
newbh933

Post by newbh933 »

max12377 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:40 am Well, this is probably cheating but I would wake up in the bed/house I grew up in. Parents would still be living, life would be as complicated as which baseball cards I would want to trade, and the neighborhood kids would be at the door ready to play football in the street.
Willoughby! Next stop, Willoughby...
Nobody knows nothing... and I know even less!
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

newbh933 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:43 pm
Willoughby! Next stop, Willoughby...
I’d like to be playing “kick the can” with the other rest home folks :D
I never knew what true happiness was until I got married, and then it was too late. — Dick Biondi
WhitePuma

Post by WhitePuma »

mrmass wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:20 am
WhitePuma wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:09 pm Stuck on a life raft in the middle of the Pacific ocean with 1990s Denise Richards and some pizza.
And leave Neve Campbell behind?
Yea, too trailer trashy, not very Bogleheady. But Denise is from Blue Bay! 😊
sunsetting101

Post by sunsetting101 »

Interlaken, Switzerland.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

backofbeyond wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:32 pm Snorkeling the Great Barrier Reef off of Port Douglas Australia. Best day of my life was doing that...plan on going back in April 2025.
i just got back though my boat departed from Cairns. I also drank beer on the boat. Feel free to setup a Bogleheads trip for 2025. We just need someone to video it for free. LOL.
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

Raycpact wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:16 am Next to my wife,
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Aruba, Jamaica, ooh, I wanna take ya
Bermuda, Bahama, come on pretty mama
Key Largo, Montego

Actually, back at my lake condo, with the jet ski up on a lift down at the dock 30 feet away.

Too bad I sold it.
"The best tools available to us are shovels, not scalpels. Don't get carried away." - vanBogle59
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

whodidntante wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:16 pm
i just got back though my boat departed from Cairns. I also drank beer on the boat. Feel free to setup a Bogleheads trip for 2025. We just need someone to video it for free. LOL.
I have already booked a cruise to the Great Barrier Reef in April 2025 (My first time though)

Maybe we should wear some kind of special hat to recognize a fellow Boglehead in case we run into each other? :)
"The best tools available to us are shovels, not scalpels. Don't get carried away." - vanBogle59
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

I just did this too (July 2023)... It was seriously a great trip. My wife planned it all, I wasn't that interested.

But Croatia was absolutely amazing... Loved hanging by the Riva promenade/boardwalk by the ocean in Split... Such great food/people watching.

But the breeze on the boat (36 people so same kind of boat) on the top deck was absolute perfection.
SevenBridgesRoad

Post by SevenBridgesRoad »

Cruising the San Juan Islands in our Selene 38' with my wife/co-skipper after safely crossing the Strait of Juan de fuca, ready for six nights out.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

I’d like to wake up an instant before some random bad decision or intemperate remark born of frustration, and self-correct.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Markus003

Post by Markus003 »

PottedPlant wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:53 pm Bologna, Italia.
Totally agree. Was there last fall, and want to return often.
wallygator

Post by wallygator »

the crack of Dawn....
vested1

Post by vested1 »

PoppyA wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:43 pm By the shores of Gitchee Gumee,
By the shining Big-Sea-Water,
Stood the wigwam of Nokomis
Daughter of the Moon, Nokomis.
Dark behind it rose the forest,
Rose the black and gloomy pine trees,
Rose the firs with cones upon them;
Bright before it beat the water,
Beat the clear and sunny water,
Beat the shining Big-Sea-Water.

AKA on the Shore of Lake Superior
Or AKA The Song of Hiawatha by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow written in 1855

My mom used to recite the entire poem to us from memory, which was quite impressive. I will say that I wouldn't want to wake up anywhere that she chose to recite it, as they were normally places any sane person would want to avoid, like 1am with the lights off in a 14' aluminum boat with 7 people in it on a nearly unnavigable slough, waiting for a bullfrog to croak so it could be gigged and placed in the gunny sack with many others, to be eaten for dinner that night while camping.

Picture an old Hamms beer commercial, only moonless, with the possibility of death looming at any moment. Just another day that we considered "normal".

https://www.hwlongfellow.org/poems_poem.php?pid=283

Our family would not have been a fan of PETA. Thanks for the memories your post brought back.

I'd chose the big island.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Designairohio wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:46 pm I’m looking for vacation ideas,
but anything deeper or more personal might also be interesting
Likely, some esoteric celestial plane, to some "heaven", to others, "some version of the Hindu parable about the blind men and the elephant" to describe such things; where health and quality of life is not a concern, where we can fly like Eagles and run free like Cheetah's, where Lake Wobegon is but a memory.

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

vested1 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:20 am
PoppyA wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:43 pm By the shores of Gitchee Gumee,
By the shining Big-Sea-Water,
Stood the wigwam of Nokomis
Daughter of the Moon, Nokomis.
Dark behind it rose the forest,
Rose the black and gloomy pine trees,
Rose the firs with cones upon them;
Bright before it beat the water,
Beat the clear and sunny water,
Beat the shining Big-Sea-Water.

AKA on the Shore of Lake Superior
Or AKA The Song of Hiawatha by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow written in 1855

My mom used to recite the entire poem to us from memory, which was quite impressive. I will say that I wouldn't want to wake up anywhere that she chose to recite it, as they were normally places any sane person would want to avoid, like 1am with the lights off in a 14' aluminum boat with 7 people in it on a nearly unnavigable slough, waiting for a bullfrog to croak so it could be gigged and placed in the gunny sack with many others, to be eaten for dinner that night while camping.

Picture an old Hamms beer commercial, only moonless, with the possibility of death looming at any moment. Just another day that we considered "normal".

https://www.hwlongfellow.org/poems_poem.php?pid=283

Our family would not have been a fan of PETA. Thanks for the memories your post brought back.

I'd chose the big island.
The small town of Kamuela on the Big Island, of Hawaii, surrounded by rolling green pastures that fade in the distance, and the view of the towering Mauna Kea summit slowly appears as the fog lifts above the land every morning.

j
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k »

HomerJ wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:58 pm

I just did this too (July 2023)... It was seriously a great trip. My wife planned it all, I wasn't that interested.

But Croatia was absolutely amazing... Loved hanging by the Riva promenade/boardwalk by the ocean in Split... Such great food/people watching.

But the breeze on the boat (36 people so same kind of boat) on the top deck was absolute perfection.
Which travel/cruise line did you book with?
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Sandi_k wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:56 am
HomerJ wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:58 pm

Which travel/cruise line did you book with?
Katarina Line in Split. I'd recommend it to anyone.