What Car Should I Buy If Money Were No Object?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Cruise

What Car Should I Buy If Money Were No Object?

Post by Cruise »

This topic is actionable to me. What kind of car should I buy? Money really isn't an issue.

Here are the variables I am looking at:

1. Road conditions in the urban environment where I live are not the best. So, even if I wanted a low-slung 911 turbo, I'm not getting it because the ride will feel terrible. Same for other vehicles that only come in 21-inch wheels. Not prudent with potholes a common sight.

2. Not attracting too much attention. Yes, I'd like to drive a nice-looking car, but no way am I tooling around in a Rolls or Bentley. Way too attention-grabbing. Just not my style.

3. High quality, great looks, and high performance are important.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Last edited by Cruise on Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheTimeLord

Re: What Car Would You Buy If Money Were No Object?

Post by TheTimeLord »

BMW X5 M60i
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
eucalyptus

Re: What Car Should I Buy If Money Were No Object?

Post by eucalyptus »

So many choices. How about a Cayenne Turbo? You can spec it without the "turbo" insignia if you think that lowers the profile. Cayennes and Macans are common in most major cities. Not sure any SUV is "great looking," though.
texascrane

Post by texascrane »

I bought a Rivian R1T. Super car acceleration with 15 inches of ground clearance and 43 inches of water fording. For my needs, I can’t think of a better vehicle at any price.
cranberrycrash

Post by cranberrycrash »

texascrane wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:27 pm I bought a Rivian R1T. Super car acceleration with 15 inches of ground clearance and 43 inches of water fording. For my needs, I can’t think of a better vehicle at any price.
For an urban environment?
02nz

Post by 02nz »

How about a Genesis GV70 Electrified? Fast, very quiet and smooth, looks great inside and out. It also doesn't scream EV as its looks are just about identical to the ICE version.

If you wanted an ICE vehicle, I'd say Porsche Macan, but it's similar money to the GV70 Electrified, a LOT slower, and - this being a German car - get ready to pay up for options!
cchrissyy

Post by cchrissyy »

hm
so you want performance, yet a comfortable ride over rough roads, and nothing rare enough to stand out.
i think you want a bmw. maybe lexus has something, i am not as familiar with them.
60-20-20 us-intl-bond
hotajax

Post by hotajax »

Audi A6. Acquisition cost is one thing. Maintenance is quite another.
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

Lexus RX350 has everything you need.
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
$=WxTxI

Post by $=WxTxI »

Cruise wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:04 pm This topic is actionable to me. What kind of car should I buy? Money really isn't an issue.

1. Road conditions in the urban environment where I live are not the best. So, even if I wanted a low-slung 911 turbo, I'm not getting it because the ride will feel terrible. Same for other vehicles that only come in 21-inch wheels. Not prudent with potholes a common sight.

2. Not attracting too much attention. Yes, I'd like to drive a nice-looking car, but no way am I tooling around in a Rolls or Bentley. Way too attention-grabbing. Just not my style.

LX600
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

If the car must be new, I’d just go to the local Lexus dealership and pick something from their offerings.
Most experiences are better imagined.
texascrane

Post by texascrane »

cranberrycrash wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:34 pm
texascrane wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:27 pm I bought a Rivian R1T. Super car acceleration with 15 inches of ground clearance and 43 inches of water fording. For my needs, I can’t think of a better vehicle at any price.
For an urban environment?
Yes. As far as trucks go, it’s mid-sized. It has excellent suspension (effectively borrowed from McLaren) that will perform extremely well on potholed roads. It’s faster from stoplight to stoplight than almost anything else on the road. It’s got plenty of cargo space. You also have a truck bed for hauling larger items like TVs home from the store. And it looks cool.
gator15

Post by gator15 »

I’d get a Wrangler 392 or a Ram TRX. For SUVs, I would get a Porsche Cayenne Turbo or the Macan as someone mentioned earlier. I’m not sure if this car meets your criteria, but I would get a Nissan GTR.
PTCGeorge

Post by PTCGeorge »

Porsche Macan S (you can do badge-delete and get a conservative color like Dolomite Silver or Volcano Grey if you want to go unnoticed. 20 inch wheels with high enough profile tires. Drives well on so so roads. Upgrade to an air suspension.

If you want something slightly bigger, the new Cayenne S Coupe will make a great daily driver. Lots of option choices to make it specials for you without too much bling. Again, "spring" for an air suspension.

Spend some time here and build your dream car: https://www.porsche.com/usa/modelstart/all/
Harmanic

Post by Harmanic »

A long time ago, I would have said a Land Rover, but now they all look like Ford Explorers.
The question isn't at what age I want to retire, it's at what income. | - George Foreman
Chv396

Post by Chv396 »

Toyota Highlander.
“Stay the Course” - My Portfolio (BND, VOO, VT, VXUS) Spouse’s Portfolio (VEA, VGSH, VOO)
TheDogFather

Post by TheDogFather »

hotajax wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:52 pm Audi A6.
Almost correct. 🤪

Audi S5 Sportback. Described as ‘the perfect compromise.’
FellsGuy

Post by FellsGuy »

“Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six , result happiness. | Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery”
Millennial

Post by Millennial »

For me, given your goals, the answer would absolutely a Volvo v90.
radiowave

Post by radiowave »

Chv396 wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:08 pm Toyota Highlander.
Honda Pilot?
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Cruise wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:04 pm This topic is actionable to me. What kind of car should I buy? Money really isn't an issue.

Toyota Land Cruiser
4wd

j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
02nz

Post by 02nz »

snackdog wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:01 pm Lexus RX350 has everything you need.
Other than even the slightest hint of driving excitement.
Watty

Post by Watty »

Cruise wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:04 pm ..the urban environment where I live...
You might want to add being easy to park to your list of requirements if you live in an urban area.

Different brands call it different names but the birds eye view camera where it gives you a overhead view of the area around the car would be something I would want.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

Lucid Air?
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

A car that you want. Not a car that random people pick out for you.
Time is the ultimate currency.
BUBear29

Post by BUBear29 »

Lexus LX
There is no dignity quite so impressive, and no one independence quite so important, as living within your means.
vfinx

Post by vfinx »

Cayenne Turbo GT. Its base form is common enough that people will think you’re just a poser trying to look rich. No one will know you’re a boglehead.
FireSekr

Post by FireSekr »

Porsche Panamera Sport Turismo
Porsche Taycan
Mercedes s580
Mercedes e450
Genesis g80
Range Rover Sport
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

PTCGeorge wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:56 pm Porsche Macan S (you can do badge-delete and get a conservative color like Dolomite Silver or Volcano Grey if you want to go unnoticed. 20 inch wheels with high enough profile tires. Drives well on so so roads. Upgrade to an air suspension.

If you want something slightly bigger, the new Cayenne S Coupe will make a great daily driver. Lots of option choices to make it specials for you without too much bling. Again, "spring" for an air suspension.

Spend some time here and build your dream car: https://www.porsche.com/usa/modelstart/all/
You are delusional if you think debadging matters. Most people don't care about those letters. You have a Porsche. They don't care if it is the 80k model or the 120k. Your Porsche might not stand out if everyone around you has a Lambo but in a world of CRVs it will stand out a ton. Same thing with all those BMWs and Lexuses. You need to find out where the line is for you.
kenai

Post by kenai »

Sandtrap wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:44 pm

Toyota Land Cruiser
4wd

j🌺
My vote would be the Land Cruiser as well. Plus they're coming out with a new version soon.
TacoLover

Post by TacoLover »

Aston.

Looks great but dignified and understated. Most people won’t know what it is whereas they’ll think you’re rich if you drive a Porsche. Plus I want one but I can’t pull the trigger on it bec I feel guilty spending that much mo eye on one so you can tell me how great it is and I can live vicariously through you. Maintenance is supposed to be not terrible.

I’m also intermittently looking at Lexus lc but I drive an IS and it’s not at all exciting to drive and I read that the lc while fast is not an athletic car.
runswithscissors

Post by runswithscissors »

Rivian R1S. The SUV, not the truck.
tphp99

Post by tphp99 »

Cruise wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:04 pm

Run flats are no good (think BMWs), better with big tires (think 4WD trucks)
Depends where you are, South Beach / Miami or any farm town USA?
Too vague: Anything from a Ferrari 250 GTO to a Ford F250 FX4 will fit those descriptions

Since you mentioned 911 and that money is not a problem, I'd ask Rob Dickinson (Singer Vehicle Design) to make you a 911 Dakar edition, patina it like it's a rust bucket.

Or get yourself one of these, have MAACO paint it some ugly dull color and drive the hell out of it.

Seriously, what's your budget? Sounds like it's going to be a real fun car to fit those description.

LawEgr1

Post by LawEgr1 »

Lexus IS500 F Sport

Power
Reliability
Last of the true NA V8s available
Lexus ride quality
Looks part of a typical Lexus lineup so it should meet your looks criteria

Only item of note is that it's rwd
Carguy85

Post by Carguy85 »

392 wrangler or maybe TRX ram. A ford raptor is a bit on the wide side where parking and a car wash could be a big issue. Anyhow, a big concern of yours was bad roads/potholes…anything with a low profile tire is a big no no for this. I think many that have responded must be from the west coast. 😃
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

If “money no object” extends to not mattering if the manufacturer goes out of business, I’d get a high end Lucid.

I’d give strong consideration to Rivian SUV or pickup.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Dontsell1

Post by Dontsell1 »

Lease a new Range Rover every 3 years.
Chardo

Post by Chardo »

What does high performance mean to you?
LongMoney

Post by LongMoney »

Not sure what class of auto you're looking into.
car meaning: sedan? coupe? sport? truck? SUV? wagon? formula-1?

I've taken a liking to the new 4x4 6-speed manual trans jeep gladiator. Purchase options can be outfit for tow-load capacity like a typical truck or offroad like a wrangler. Price starts around 40k base. Nothing too flashy, but it's so much fun to drive. It gives you passenger space, convertible doors/roof, and a bed to haul stuff around with. I'm in the northeast, so I have the same concerns regarding potholes that you do. Whenever you're out with friends/family, they will want you to drive....especially the kids. It gives you tremendous flexibility with respectable gas mileage and it suits a range of conditions.

just remember to shake-n-bake :D
"A man's worth is no greater than his ambitions."
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

Harmanic wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:07 pm A long time ago, I would have said a Land Rover, but now they all look like Ford Explorers.
You mean a Ford Explorer now looks like a Land Rover, don't you? ;-).

Sad to say for a British-built car, but they have one of the worst reliability records of any make. They depreciate quite fast.

Ineos has relaunched the baseline Land Rover (the African safari, farm in the Scottish Highlands-type) as the Grenadier.

https://ineosgrenadier.com/en/gb/

They are very popular - to the point of a nearly-new one selling for more than a new one (due to the waiting list).

They may not be available in the USA. Built in France.
Chv396

Post by Chv396 »

We previously owned a Honda Pilot, very reliable SUV.

radiowave wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:41 pm
Chv396 wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:08 pm Toyota Highlander.
Honda Pilot?
“Stay the Course” - My Portfolio (BND, VOO, VT, VXUS) Spouse’s Portfolio (VEA, VGSH, VOO)
Harri88

Post by Harri88 »

How about 1000HP Hennessey Dodge Charger Hellcat H1000 Redeye when 800HP isnt enough. :twisted:
Firemenot

Post by Firemenot »

Classic Ferrari. Just as much a piece of industrial art as a car.
stlrick

Post by stlrick »

Audi SQ5
Mercedes AMG GLE63 Coupe
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

I see a lot of people driving Range Rovers in those environments.
Rex66

Post by Rex66 »

I personally buy the Acura mdx
It’s sort of the cheapest of the luxury suvs and is more of a highway /city suv then off road. It just runs without the issues and that matters a lot to me. I personally don’t find any of the other luxury suvs more enjoyable but people do claim differently. I can also more frequently get a new one if desired bc of the cost savings with less guilt.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

Lexus LS500 with the caveat that I am not a fan of the luxury SUV class of vehicles. (LS is a sedan)
AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess »

What is the objective? 2 and 3 read like objectives, but a bit vague, and somewhat counter to each other.
I don't carry a signature because people are easily offended.
bombcar

Post by bombcar »

You've not described the use cases or given examples of vehicles, so I am going to assume you need to get the Rezvani Vengeance. It sticks out a bit, but at $300k who cares?

For more realistic options, you may seriously want to consider a high-end minivan, at maximum trim they're very nice and capable vehicles, and the Kia Carnival doesn't even really look like one.
Silverado

Post by Silverado »

I’d get a perfectly restored pickup from the mid 80s. Ford Ranger or a Toyota. Manual transmission, manual windows, standard cab, tape deck. If money was really no object I would buy two.