Is Speed Queen still the "King" of washing machines?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Bob Sacamano

Is Speed Queen still the "King" of washing machines?

Post by Bob Sacamano »

ours just broke completely. need a new one. not really thrilled to spend $1300 bucks but also don't want to spend $800 on some junk.
arcticpineapplecorp.

Re: Is Speed Queen still the "King" of washing machines?

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

they're the ones i see at the laundromats, so assume they're the best/longest lasting/most durable.

but i haven't had problems with other washing machines for home use, so I personally wouldn't spend more than i had to. I don't think one for $800 should be junk. What brands are you seeing?

Where I live there's a scratch and dent place. Items are new, just got scratch or dent moving from the truck. Nothing wrong with them at all, still come with the same warranty. And they're less money too as a result of not being able to be sold full price with a scratch or dent. Win win. not sure if you have something like that where you are.
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
upekkha

Post by upekkha »

Bob Sacamano wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:26 pm ours just broke completely. need a new one. not really thrilled to spend $1300 bucks but also don't want to spend $800 on some junk.
I'm a Maytag man - tried, true and reliable - worth the price in my opinion!
"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan." - Carl Von Clausewitz
inverter

Post by inverter »

I think of Miele as being the highest quality, followed by maybe LG.

But that said, I value efficiency along with reliability.

Also, don’t you mean queen? :)
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

Many years ago some would observe that taxis were mostly Checkers and indestructible. Reasoning that would be a great car to own.

My view is that Speed Queen is like a Checker. Overbuilt; (at least until recently) indestructible; clunky; and inefficient.

I haven't bought a washing machine for a couple of decades. If I do need one again, I will get a moderately basic model from the ordinary brands.

Right now I have a Maytag a decade or so old. It did have a problem a year ago, easily fixed with a part bought on line.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

upekkha wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:32 pm
Bob Sacamano wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:26 pm ours just broke completely. need a new one. not really thrilled to spend $1300 bucks but also don't want to spend $800 on some junk.
If you believe CR from like 3 years ago, Maytag isn't what it used to be. Unfortunately it is almost impossible to get a good feel for quality and durability. It is one thing to know that Maytag you bought in 1995 was a workhorse. It is another to make a guess in the 2023 model is still up there standardwise. Personally I have been happy with my LG. But at 5 years in I can't really comment on durability for another decade and it would still only be one data point.
cubs1999

Post by cubs1999 »

My speed queen washer from 2008 is still going strong. I bought a Whirlpool slightly scratched model from the Sears outlet appliance store that I think is now out of business. I bought it in 2018 and it's still going

In past threads, I saw there was a 2 year period or something where Speed Queen changed the design and there were a lot of complaints about its washing ability but apparently it was fixed.

Other threads I've read here seem to suggest Speed Queen is still reliable but a lot of machines (even more expensive ones) are more prone to breaking nowadays compared to decades ago. This unfortunately seems to be a trend among all appliances asked about (refrigerators and dishwasher thread come to mind for me).
bendix

Post by bendix »

randomguy wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:46 pm
If you believe CR from like 3 years ago, Maytag isn't what it used to be. Unfortunately it is almost impossible to get a good feel for quality and durability. It is one thing to know that Maytag you bought in 1995 was a workhorse. It is another to make a guess in the 2023 model is still up there standardwise. Personally I have been happy with my LG. But at 5 years in I can't really comment on durability for another decade and it would still only be one data point.
I do have a lot of reservations against what CR recommends nowadays.
jrmillions

Post by jrmillions »

There are appliance repair people on YouTube that give recommendations. I would check them out.
Lock

Post by Lock »

bendix wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:54 pm
Why?
Taylor Larimore

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Bendix wrote:
Bendix:

I have used Consumer Reports for many years and we have found their recommendations to be as reliable as any.

What is the reason for your "reservations"?

Thank you and best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: “Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It's cheaper!”.
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
anoop

Post by anoop »

ClassII

Post by ClassII »

I never saw the appeal of Speed Queens. Yes they're used in laundromats but I don't think that necessarily makes them better. Maybe easier to repair but the heavy duty'ness is more likely to cost you in wasted electricity and water than any sort of longevity of the machine. It's like thinking driving a heady duty truck to work would somehow mean it'll last longer than a Honda Civic. Perhaps it'll stand up better if it ran near 24/7 like a laundromat machine but parts wear out due to age just as much as cycles. In home use a heavy duty washing machine could even wear out faster simply because it's not designed to sit for days on end without running.
Firemenot

Post by Firemenot »

I have a newer pair of Electrolux that the local repairman knows quite well. He says Speedqueen are the way to go. He has at his house. Says they’re the Toyota of washers and dryers. According to him, they also avoid putting in all the complexity that just breaks and is mostly marketing anyhow.

Made in the US in Wisconsin. And with long warranty.

My next pair will be Speed Queen.

Also, Electrolux are about the worst for reliability according to him.
Bikes4life

Post by Bikes4life »

Speed queen washer and dryer here.
Same for a majority of my ofher family members.
At least for us, we have had good luck over the years.

Can't say the same about the other brands based on frustrated relatives and friends experience.
HyperBoggle

Post by HyperBoggle »

Father sold appliances for 30 years - he advised against speed queen, went with LG 4.5 cu. ft. Front Load Washer withTurboWash 360 and 7.4 cu. ft. ELECTRICDryer with TurboSteam and Built-InIntelligence. Buy through Costco, $1500-$1600 delivered and installed after tax + warranty.
DavidW

Post by DavidW »

I have used Miele since the mid 90s. I just "retired" that machine but have upgraded to new miele over the years as I find them on Craigslist... I moved the older machine to the garage to wash items for garage, car and pets stuff.

My mom has the Speed Queen model. I believe Speed Queen has a longer than normal warranty and it is easy to service. You can't go wrong with either.
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

I have a 14 year old Speed Queen with moderate use, no issues. Wash is done in 30 minutes with clothes clean, I can open the lid during the wash cycle and add stuff, it doesn't make a bunch of beeps or play stupid musical tunes, life is bliss.
Tamal

Post by Tamal »

We purchased a speedqueen top-loader 2 years ago, and really like it. It autofills the tub (if you choose), and gets the clothes clean. Lots of wash options. We are able to wash queen-size comforter no problem. It's easy for us to load/unload.

Previously we owned a GE and Electrolux front-loaders. The newer front-loaders were just too huge for our small washroom, and I wanted something reliable, so we tried the Speedqueen. So far, so good.
PottedPlant

Post by PottedPlant »

We bought a Miele washer because Speed Queen was making junk when we needed to replace our dead LG.
Really like the Miele TwinDos system. Vary convenient. Have no idea about detergent costs and don’t care as it less than a $5000 Rolex.
For any washer, I would focus on:
Warranty
Maximum RPM spin speed
Mashed or Baked Potatoes?
cjcerny

Post by cjcerny »

LG makes a very capable washer. Don’t need to spend more than $850 or so on one.
LambertStrether

Post by LambertStrether »

Review of Speed Queen:
https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/revi ... en-review/

Upshot: it’s good, but not conclusively the best pick

I don’t always agree with NYT’s Wirecutter, but they do a decent job explaining their methods and criteria.
IowaFarmBoy

Post by IowaFarmBoy »

We've had a Speed Queen for about 7 years. No issues other than we've had the fill mixing valve replaced twice. We have really mineral heavy water here that will plug up the shutoffs under the sink after enough time. The first time the valve was not shutting off completely and was dripping into the tub, the second time the flow was restricted so it took a long time to fill. I just did the second replacement yesterday and it literally took about 15 minutes and the part is about $35. Overall, we are happy with it. We previously had a basic Maytag top loader that lasted about 20 years with only replacing the big reed switch that controls all the settings. The tub was starting to rust but the mechanicals were fine. I'm not sure that Maytag makes a basic top loader like that any more. It was probably $450 in 1996.

By contrast, a friend just replaced a 4 year old Frigidaire top loader that was failing due to mounts going bad that made it shake and it was too expensive to repair.

FWIW, that's my sample of three machines.
Red Zebra

Post by Red Zebra »

I have been researching washers/dryers for my own family, including reviewing Consumer Reports, Wirecutter, and multiple appliance repair/review videos on YouTube. Every time that I begin to consider Speed Queen a viable choice, I run into something like this batch of Better Business Bureau complaints: https://www.bbb.org/us/wi/ripon/profile ... complaints
Speed Queen experiences appear to be all over the map. The Speed Queen replies to the various complaints do not inspire me to
spend hard earned money on these machines.
We will keep looking and stick with our Maytag machines for now. In contrast, my Mom's 20+ year old, plain jane Kenmore and GE washer/dryer just keep going and going.
Rex66

Post by Rex66 »

It’s impossible to stick with a brand. Every brand changes their models often enough that the reviews aren’t necessarily what you would be purchasing today. If it is a review of a model just out then there really isn’t enough data/time to know reliability. Personally prefer our speed queen to the other models we have purchased. I definitely prefer top loaders in general.
Angel of Empire

Post by Angel of Empire »

bendix wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:54 pm I do have a lot of reservations against what CR recommends nowadays.
Same here. For a very long time, CR was the gold standard IMO. Not anymore.

As far as Speed Queen goes, I'd like to own the machines they have in the Laundromats for home use. Is this even possible?
A440

Post by A440 »

We purchased a TC5 two years ago. The only issue is water on the floor if we fill it too high with clothes and choose deep fill, but it is a user error. Other than than, no problems.
I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds my future.
IowaFarmBoy

Post by IowaFarmBoy »

Angel of Empire wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:18 am As far as Speed Queen goes, I'd like to own the machines they have in the Laundromats for home use. Is this even possible?
Our 7 year old machine is labeled as "commercial" but we bought it from a large local appliance store. I've since realized there is another Speed Queen dealer in town that sells to the laundromat market. Next time, I would probably check with them, too. You might check for a dealer that sells to laundromats. Just make sure they don't sell you a coin attachment.... :)
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

A repairman for my local appliance store (has been in business since 1950’s) highly recommends Speed Queen for a combination of warranty, quality and reliability. Granted they are expensive but quality and workmanship do account for something.

It is also no secret that appliances lasted much longer in the good old analog days.

I have owned Whirlpool washers for many years and I consider Whirlpool a good value.
wrendan

Post by wrendan »

I had Samsung originally which lasted about 4 years. Local repair guys hate them and it kept breaking. On their recommendation I replaced with Speedqueen sinc3 they are repairable. I don’t need bells and whistles - just something that works and can be fixed when it breaks.
newbh933

Post by newbh933 »

We've taken a slightly different approach over the past 15 years or so. We've bought used machines from repair businesses that also sell units. So basically, they repair/refurbish broken machines and resell. They warranty them for a short period and will of course come out and repair any problems. They tend to stick with a limited number of brands so know the machines well. If not worth fixing, they swap out with another repaired unit for a reasonable price. Cost 1/3 to 1/2 of a new unit. Have done this at two different living locations with two different businesses. This has worked well for us.
Nobody knows nothing... and I know even less!
ncbill

Post by ncbill »

Has Speed queen increased the capacity of its models to match the newer, HE washers?

When back in 2010 we replaced an old-style Whirlpool washer (with central agitator) with a LG top-loader with impeller plate (no central agitator) we were pleasantly surprised with its much higher capacity which meant we only had to wash ONE load of sheets/towels/whites/colors instead of TWO each week.
talzara

Post by talzara »

upekkha wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:32 pm I'm a Maytag man - tried, true and reliable - worth the price in my opinion!
randomguy wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:46 pm If you believe CR from like 3 years ago, Maytag isn't what it used to be. Unfortunately it is almost impossible to get a good feel for quality and durability. It is one thing to know that Maytag you bought in 1995 was a workhorse. It is another to make a guess in the 2023 model is still up there standardwise. Personally I have been happy with my LG. But at 5 years in I can't really comment on durability for another decade and it would still only be one data point.
Maytag washing machines are just rebranded Whirlpools. If you can figure out which Whirlpool is the same model, you can usually buy it for a lower price.

Maytag Commercial washing machines are more durable, and they're designed to be easier to repair.
bombcar

Post by bombcar »

ncbill wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:38 pm Has Speed queen increased the capacity of its models to match the newer, HE washers?

When back in 2010 we replaced an old-style Whirlpool washer (with central agitator) with a LG top-loader with impeller plate (no central agitator) we were pleasantly surprised with its much higher capacity which meant we only had to wash ONE load of sheets/towels/whites/colors instead of TWO each week.
Speed Queen is just Alliance Laundry and they make some absolutely huge machines that you have to bolt to concrete to use.

https://alliancelaundry.com/
London

Post by London »

SQ capacity is smaller than other brands. That took it off my list. If you have a smaller family it may work.
bombcar

Post by bombcar »

London wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 7:45 am SQ capacity is smaller than other brands. That took it off my list. If you have a smaller family it may work.
https://alliancelaundrysystems.widen.ne ... t100_en-us

Hey, it's 100 lbs of laundry and it says Speed Queen on it! :sharebeer

ignore that it weighs more than some cars and needs a dedicated 60 amp breaker and puts out 200 Gs.
Munir

Post by Munir »

LG LG, LG.
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

Happy SQ TC5 family here. aka Product Code: TC5003WN

I know nothing about the line of TR machines, but heard many professional suggestions to avoid them.

Love the TC5's 30-minute full load wash cycle and the clean clothes. We also have the matching dryer.
Note: We have a well so the cost to pump the water into the house is minimal. We have a septic tank so there's no sewer bill based on the amount of water we use.

I sold my house in 2020 after I got married in 2018. The neighbor who bought it for a rental kept the 1986 Kenmore HD washer and gas dryer and the tenant is still using them. I miss Sears. In all the years I owned that set the only repair was belt tensioner on the dryer. It only squeaked during the winter when it was really cold. I replaced the belt while I had it apart.
hand

Post by hand »

Team Speed Queen here if you're planning to use for the next decade plus:

1) Machines are designed with a 10,000+ load lifecycle
2) Machines are well built and easy to service should anything go wrong
3) Consumer Reports has historically done buyers a disservice by ranking washers on their default cycle's capabilities against heavy soil and their efficiency and ignoring normal cycle time and cleaning ability on max cycle. While this is lovely to quantify, it does not match the typical use in my household and I suspect many others which prioritizes speed to clean worn, but unsoiled clothes on the "normal" cycle and only occasionally press the extra buttons to clean heavy duty soil (which the machine does with aplomb).

Note: if you live in an area with water shortages, it is worth making sure efficiency meets your expectations.

Feel kind of silly being a fanboy for a laundry set, but it is so rare to find a consumer good where value engineering hasn't removed all quality, it is hard not to want to encourage.
abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz »

HyperBoggle wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:27 pm Father sold appliances for 30 years - he advised against speed queen, went with LG 4.5 cu. ft. Front Load Washer withTurboWash 360 and 7.4 cu. ft. ELECTRICDryer with TurboSteam and Built-InIntelligence. Buy through Costco, $1500-$1600 delivered and installed after tax + warranty.
I bought a set recently. Really beautiful machines. Beware, though, if you have to pump the water high. My drain is about 80 inches up, and the LG could not handle it. The service tech said it was a very common problem. I don't know if the problem is LG-specific or front loaders in general. I had to return them, Costco was great about it.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

Tamal wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:14 pm We purchased a speedqueen top-loader 2 years ago, and really like it. It autofills the tub (if you choose), and gets the clothes clean. Lots of wash options. We are able to wash queen-size comforter no problem. It's easy for us to load/unload.

Previously we owned a GE and Electrolux front-loaders. The newer front-loaders were just too huge for our small washroom, and I wanted something reliable, so we tried the Speedqueen. So far, so good.
Which model of Speed Queen did you purchase?
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
typical.investor

Post by typical.investor »

inverter wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:36 pm I think of Miele as being the highest quality, followed by maybe LG.

LG? Mine started on fire and the spouse assumed the smoke coming from underneath the machine was a fire from the apartment in the floor below so called it in. Three trucks came and since we lived across the street from a (off duty) fire station, they rolled in too. Six trucks…

It’s funny you say that …

We were incredulous … “you mean to say that smoke was from our washer”????
LaramieWind

Post by LaramieWind »

Lock wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:07 pm
bendix wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:54 pm
Why?
CR lost me when the Honda Pilot/Isuzu Rodeo reviews. They gave the Pilot high ratings and the Rodeo low ratings, despite the fact they were the same vehicles with different badging.
one_speed

Post by one_speed »

LG has served us well. 5 years so far. Has been gentle on utility usage, and gentle on clothing. Lots of settings and each seem to do what they say they'll do.
FellsGuy

Post by FellsGuy »

ClassII wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:22 pm I never saw the appeal of Speed Queens. Yes they're used in laundromats but I don't think that necessarily makes them better. Maybe easier to repair but the heavy duty'ness is more likely to cost you in wasted electricity and water than any sort of longevity of the machine. It's like thinking driving a heady duty truck to work would somehow mean it'll last longer than a Honda Civic. Perhaps it'll stand up better if it ran near 24/7 like a laundromat machine but parts wear out due to age just as much as cycles. In home use a heavy duty washing machine could even wear out faster simply because it's not designed to sit for days on end without running.
Picking up on the above post I really like my new LG I really hate the “efficiency” part if speed queen uses more energy and water I’m in! The new machines using euro standards make it difficult to get clothes clean and to rinse out the super concentrated HE detergents. I had an old Miele that used lots of water and made clothes very clean with one rise now I use 2-3 rinses.
“Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six , result happiness. | Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery”
mggray17

Post by mggray17 »

I'm another happy Speed Queen customer. The thing is you need to stick with the TC5 model and not the TR models.
There were problems with the TR models. As others noted the TC5 model is the "Classic" model and has been great for me.
Tamal

Post by Tamal »

FrugalInvestor wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:30 pm
Tamal wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:14 pm We purchased a speedqueen top-loader 2 years ago, and really like it. It autofills the tub (if you choose), and gets the clothes clean. Lots of wash options. We are able to wash queen-size comforter no problem. It's easy for us to load/unload.

Which model of Speed Queen did you purchase?
AWNE9RSN116TW01 otherwise known as TR7003WN
TheDDC

Post by TheDDC »

London wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 7:45 am SQ capacity is smaller than other brands. That took it off my list. If you have a smaller family it may work.
I would second this, sort of. At our old house I had purchased Maytag Bravos appliances from Costco in 2010 era. They worked flawlessly and seemed to come in higher capacity models.

At my new house we have Speed Queen and they also have worked very well, but don't seem as large. Both brands have always had a tremendous reputation in my circle. Our local appliance store carries top brands that you wouldn't find at a big box retailer and Speed Queen is one of them. I believe you can get higher capacity models.

-TheDDC
Rules to wealth building: 75-80% VTSAX piled high and deep, 20-25% VTIAX, 0% given away to banks.
KneePartsPro

Post by KneePartsPro »

inverter wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:36 pm I think of Miele as being the highest quality, followed by maybe LG.

Good catch! 😂
Go Cy

Post by Go Cy »

I see alot of people recommending LG. We have an LG washer that works well, the dryer usually works well if you turn off the eco dry mode. But, realize that LG and Samsung are essentially disposable appliances. It can be nearly impossible to find replacement parts. Happened to our LG oven, main board partially failed(oven was mostly functional, some features and digital display did not work). Part was on back order for 6 months before component was discontinued by LG. Had to replace the 4 year old oven. The appliance salesman said this is a common occurence with those brands.