Anywhere to buy New Toyotas below MSRP?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Parkinglotracer

Anywhere to buy New Toyotas below MSRP?

Post by Parkinglotracer »

Our local Toyota dealer has Highlander’s, Rav 4’s, Camry’s, and Tacoma’s in stock selling for MSRP. Anyone know of any dealers selling new ones for below the sticker price?

https://www.romanotoyota.com/newspecials.html
Wanderingwheelz

Re: Anywhere to buy New Toyotas below MSRP?

Post by Wanderingwheelz »

Here’s a list of the highest volume dealer groups. It’s no secret a dealer can sell more cars by selling for lower prices than the completion is willing to. I’d start by going to the closest dealer to my home on this list. Three of our 4 cars were bought new from Top25 groups on this list. The 4th was alsofrom a dealer on the list, but further down.

https://s3-prod.autonews.com/2021-12/20 ... Groups.pdf
Being wrong compounds forever.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Wanderingwheelz wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:49 am Here’s a list of the highest volume dealer groups. It’s no secret a dealer can sell more cars by selling for lower prices than the completion is willing to. I’d start by going to the closest dealer to my home on this list. Three of our 4 cars were bought new from Top25 groups on this list. The 4th was alsofrom a dealer on the list, but further down.

What year did you buy Toyotas below MSRP? Has it been after 2020?
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Parkinglotracer wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:28 am Our local Toyota dealer has Highlander’s, Rav 4’s, Camry’s, and Tacoma’s in stock selling for MSRP. Anyone know of any dealers selling new ones for below the sticker price?

Are you just going off this information on their website or have you tried to negotiate a better price?
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

I drive past three different car dealers several times a week. Their lots are pretty empty still. Toyota has a large sign that they will buy my car. It is a 2008 RAV4 with only 130K on it so I figure it has a lot more life in it. I'm not convinced that the dealers will ever go back to large inventories.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy »

Wanderingwheelz wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:49 am Here’s a list of the highest volume dealer groups. It’s no secret a dealer can sell more cars by selling for lower prices than the completion is willing to. I’d start by going to the closest dealer to my home on this list. Three of our 4 cars were bought new from Top25 groups on this list. The 4th was alsofrom a dealer on the list, but further down.

I personally from experience know that dealers from MA in that list quoted me above MSRP at the beginning of the year. That list is also 1.5 years old.
zlandar

Post by zlandar »

"Disclaimer

Photos may not represent actual vehicles. Colors, options, and trim may vary. Advertised prices exclude tax, tags, title, registration fees, and $175 documentation fee. Additional savings may be available."

I don't trust those online prices.

Show me a window sticker with no additional dealer add-ons. Then I'll believe.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Parkinglotracer wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:28 am Our local Toyota dealer has Highlander’s, Rav 4’s, Camry’s, and Tacoma’s in stock selling for MSRP. Anyone know of any dealers selling new ones for below the sticker price?
Finding one of those models below MSRP will be difficult still. My local dealership still has all those models sold before they even reach the dealership. While picking up my new Toyota last week, I was on a waiting list for nine months, the only new unsold Toyota on the entire lot was a base model Corolla.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

jebmke wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:13 am I'm not convinced that the dealers will ever go back to large inventories.
You must not have a Jeep dealer near you. During Covid, my dealer (just down the street from my work and I bought 2 Wranglers from them) had 5 vehicles on their lot in total. Today, they have 254 new vehicles. So many that they're using an overflow lot a mile away. I notice what's in the overflow as our vet is next door to it. If you want an F-150 pickup, our local Ford dealer has 99 of them. This is ONLY F-150's. Plenty of other vehicles there.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:22 am
jebmke wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:13 am I'm not convinced that the dealers will ever go back to large inventories.
You must not have a Jeep dealer near you. During Covid, my dealer (just down the street from my work and I bought 2 Wranglers from them) had 5 vehicles on their lot in total. Today, they have 254 new vehicles. So many that they're using an overflow lot a mile away. I notice what's in the overflow as our vet is next door to it. If you want an F-150 pickup, our local Ford dealer has 99 of them. This is ONLY F-150's. Plenty of other vehicles there.
There is one; it isn't very far away but not on a route I use to get anywhere. It is on the main route through town on the way to the beaches from DC so locals avoid going that way unless there is a specific reason to go somewhere on that stretch of highway.

Toyota and Honda are ~ a mile so easy to see their lot. BMW, Vovo and Mercedes are about an hour away on a good day, 4 hours on a bad day. I did see a lot near Baltimore Harbor (not a dealer, a port lot) that had a couple thousand Mercedes -- not sure if they ever moved them. So I'd guess Mercedes are pretty easy to get.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Wanderingwheelz

TheOscarGuy wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:15 am

I personally from experience know that dealers from MA in that list quoted me above MSRP at the beginning of the year. That list is also 1.5 years old.
I wasn’t suggesting that dealers on the list were selling cars below MSRP 6 months ago in Massachusetts and I’m aware the list is 1.5 years old. I suggested those are good dealers for a person to start, especially if she knows how to negotiate since those are high volume dealers that normally are able to take a small profit, unlike some small dealers who are trying to hold gross on each vehicle the have on the lot.
Wanderingwheelz

stan1 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:09 am

What year did you buy Toyotas below MSRP? Has it been after 2020?
I’ve never owned a Toyota. I bought 4 new 2022 vehicles a year ago.
Topic Author
Parkinglotracer

stan1 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:11 am

Are you just going off this information on their website or have you tried to negotiate a better price?
I am going off their tv and website advertisements. I have not made them an offer.
NightFall

Post by NightFall »

Non-Toyota dealers have inventory where I live. Toyota dealers have empty lots. I tried to buy one recently. Distributor puts on add-ons, dealer puts on add-ons. Dealer refused to sell without a bunch of stuff added on adding 25% to MSRP including one item just called “dealer markup” because they ran out of other stuff to add onto it. They’re selling vehicles before they even get to the distributor.

I ended up driving 50 miles to another Toyota dealer that was willing to take off distributor add-ons and only had $2K of dealer add-ons (that they wouldn’t take off). I tried to get a price for my trade-in. They quoted me $2.5K under KBB value and refused to budge. Carvana is coming to pick up the car for $5K more than they offered tomorrow morning. Overall, a frustrating buying experience. I’d wait a few more years if you can to buy or buy a non-Toyota.
bradinsky

Post by bradinsky »

The end of 2021 I bought a 2022 RX-350 for sticker. I had to wait a month for delivery & I’m very happy with it. Prior to visiting the Lexus dealer, I was across the street at a Toyota dealer trying to purchase a Highlander Limited. The price they were firm on was considerably over sticker & basically a little more than sticker on the Lexus. That’s motivation to visit the Lexus dealer.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

NightFall wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:31 pm Non-Toyota dealers have inventory where I live. Toyota dealers have empty lots. I tried to buy one recently. Distributor puts on add-ons, dealer puts on add-ons. Dealer refused to sell without a bunch of stuff added on adding 25% to MSRP including one item just called “dealer markup” because they ran out of other stuff to add onto it. They’re selling vehicles before they even get to the distributor.

I ended up driving 50 miles to another Toyota dealer that was willing to take off distributor add-ons and only had $2K of dealer add-ons (that they wouldn’t take off). I tried to get a price for my trade-in. They quoted me $2.5K under KBB value and refused to budge. Carvana is coming to pick up the car for $5K more than they offered tomorrow morning. Overall, a frustrating buying experience. I’d wait a few more years if you can to buy or buy a non-Toyota.
Toyota will lose a lot of loyal customers this way.

(Honda my father was on his 3rd when he died; my aunt and her partner on their 4th Toyota -- dealer got her one because in the previous 30 years they had always dealt with Toyota - 9 months later they were gone & dealer would have taken it back at list price).

Given where these manufacturers are on EVs as well, they are on a burning bridge. (I realise there's an implicit assumption in there about future track of EV sales - suffice it to say a European perception may be different (skewed?) than a North American one; rather than trying to debate that assumption let's just acknowledge it).
Topic Author
Parkinglotracer

bradinsky wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:48 pm The end of 2021 I bought a 2022 RX-350 for sticker. I had to wait a month for delivery & I’m very happy with it. Prior to visiting the Lexus dealer, I was across the street at a Toyota dealer trying to purchase a Highlander Limited. The price they were firm on was considerably over sticker & basically a little more than sticker on the Lexus. That’s motivation to visit the Lexus dealer.
We have a 2011 RX350 with 49,000 miles in it and it is a great car. I bet your 2022 is a great car too. Lexus makes a great product. Maybe I should save my Penny’s and look there.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

Parkinglotracer wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:45 am
bradinsky wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:48 pm The end of 2021 I bought a 2022 RX-350 for sticker. I had to wait a month for delivery & I’m very happy with it. Prior to visiting the Lexus dealer, I was across the street at a Toyota dealer trying to purchase a Highlander Limited. The price they were firm on was considerably over sticker & basically a little more than sticker on the Lexus. That’s motivation to visit the Lexus dealer.
We have a 2011 RX350 with 49,000 miles in it and it is a great car. I bet your 2022 is a great car too. Lexus makes a great product. Maybe I should save my Penny’s and look there.
With that low a mileage is it worth replacing at this point? You like the car, and it is still reliable?

I would imagine that the average American car does c 10-12k miles pa? So your car would have done 120k miles if it was an "average" car?
Topic Author
Parkinglotracer

Valuethinker wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:52 am
Parkinglotracer wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:45 am
With that low a mileage is it worth replacing at this point? You like the car, and it is still reliable?

I would imagine that the average American car does c 10-12k miles pa? So your car would have done 120k miles if it was an "average" car?
We will keep it. We have another car my wife would like to replace with an RAV 4 or Highlander and our son is looking at a new Camry.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

NightFall wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:31 pm Non-Toyota dealers have inventory where I live. Toyota dealers have empty lots. I tried to buy one recently. Distributor puts on add-ons, dealer puts on add-ons. Dealer refused to sell without a bunch of stuff added on adding 25% to MSRP including one item just called “dealer markup” because they ran out of other stuff to add onto it. They’re selling vehicles before they even get to the distributor.

Just picked up our new Toyota last week after a nine month wait. The dealership gave me the spec sheet sent to them as it was being loaded on a boat in Japan to head our way. During the boat ride over, the dealer did send me an email with a link of various add on's I could choose from but none were thrust upon me and I simply told them I wasn't interested. When it finally arrived at the dealership over a month later, we stopped in later the same day, paid MSRP and drove off without any dealer add ons though there was a weak attempt to sell us an extended warranty package which I also declined.

Just like any franchised business, no two are run the same way so I would suggest finding another dealership that offers a better experience.
Dechan

Post by Dechan »

About a month ago, I researched the current buying market for the Toyota Sienna. For the Sienna then, MSRP was a good deal in the NY/NJ/CT area.

In the course of my Internet research, I found this discussion on Reddit:

https://old.reddit.com/r/ToyotaSienna/c ... readsheet/

Apparently, Toyota's data on which Toyota and Lexus cars will be delivered soon to what US dealers is publicly and freely available through API. Somebody has developed a spreadsheet to pull and display this data each day . If you go to the first tab of the Google Docs spreadsheet in that Reddit discussion, there are links to other Toyota and Lexus models including all the ones you are interested in.

My suggestion is to use the spreadsheets to locate what Toyotas are being delivered soon to dealers near you. You can't buy a car if the dealer isn't getting a car delivered. The spreadsheet has columns for dealer markup, is presold, etc. that may be helpful for finding a Toyota/Lexus at a fair price in today's market. For example, eliminate any dealers which are listed as charging markups. I would consider the spreadsheet data as a starting point only as I don't know the data (especially pricing and availability data) is completely accurate.

There are also manufacturer-specific and model-specific message boards where potential buyers may be discussing which dealers are selling for what prices. I know of ToyotaNation for the Toyota make and SiennaChat for the Sienna model, but I know there are others out there.

Good luck!
hudson

Post by hudson »

zlandar wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:33 am "Disclaimer

Photos may not represent actual vehicles. Colors, options, and trim may vary. Advertised prices exclude tax, tags, title, registration fees, and $175 documentation fee. Additional savings may be available."

I don't trust those online prices.

Show me a window sticker with no additional dealer add-ons. Then I'll believe.
Good points!
First, I'd determine exactly what I wanted or what I could live with.
Then, I'd visit at least three Toyota dealers and ask for an "out the door" price and for a delivery date.
When that's done, you'll know what you need to know.
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

I believe these are still the U.S. Toyota regions.

REGIONAL OFFICES:

Boston Office (ME, NH, VT, MA, RI)
New York (NY, NJ, CT)
Central Atlantic (PA, VA, WV, MD, DE)
Southeast Region (NC, SC, AL, GA, FL)
Cincinnati Region (MI, OH, KY, TN)
Chicago Region (MN, WI, IL, IN)
Kansas City Region (ND, SD, NE, KS, IA, M0)
Gulf States Region (OK, TX, MS, LA, AR)
Portland Region (AK, WA, OR, ID, MT)
Denver Region (WY, CO, UT, NM, AZ, NV)
San Francisco Region (Northern CA)
LA Region (Southern CA)

What you can get in your region depends on what they feel like offering. Think of them as little kingdoms.

And the customers are the peasants. :happy
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

Dechan wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:53 am About a month ago, I researched the current buying market for the Toyota Sienna. For the Sienna then, MSRP was a good deal in the NY/NJ/CT area.

Apparently, Toyota's data on which Toyota and Lexus cars will be delivered soon to what US dealers is publicly and freely available through API. Somebody has developed a spreadsheet to pull and display this data each day . If you go to the first tab of the Google Docs spreadsheet in that Reddit discussion, there are links to other Toyota and Lexus models including all the ones you are interested in.

My suggestion is to use the spreadsheets to locate what Toyotas are being delivered soon to dealers near you. You can't buy a car if the dealer isn't getting a car delivered. The spreadsheet has columns for dealer markup, is presold, etc. that may be helpful for finding a Toyota/Lexus at a fair price in today's market. For example, eliminate any dealers which are listed as charging markups. I would consider the spreadsheet data as a starting point only as I don't know the data (especially pricing and availability data) is completely accurate.

There are also manufacturer-specific and model-specific message boards where potential buyers may be discussing which dealers are selling for what prices. I know of ToyotaNation for the Toyota make and SiennaChat for the Sienna model, but I know there are others out there.

Good luck!
Great information. That spreadsheet is incredible.
Barsoom

Post by Barsoom »

Do you work for a company that has any employee purchase arrangements with other companies?

My MegaCorp (I'm retired now) had an arrangement with TrueCar. In 2021, I bought an Acura RDX for $40K that was listed for $50K. This was just before the chip shortage stopped new car deliveries.

-B
stockwiz

Post by stockwiz »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:22 am
Jeep and Mitsubishi have too much inventory and their out the door prices for some cars are below MSRP. It's still a demand market for most car models that are in demand. You will not find a Civic, Corolla, F150, Bronco, or Corvette under MSRP. Chargers and base Wrangler and Gladiators are quite negotiable under MSRP for models not in demand due to over-production by Stellantis.
young danny

Post by young danny »

Dechan wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:53 am About a month ago, I researched the current buying market for the Toyota Sienna. For the Sienna then, MSRP was a good deal in the NY/NJ/CT area.

Good luck!
This spreadsheet is the greatest thing ever! I'll still do the create a persona / best out the door price on the vin number, etc routine like I did in 2016 for my camry (really helpful). I'll also compare these prices against AAA and Costco's car buying program affiliated dealerships. It won't take much to find out what's likely gonna work out, and, I'm willing to go 1,000 miles out of the way (I'm in Texas) if the deal is worth it. We have our first kiddo due in mid-September so I'll purchase it in early to mid July.
Bbddl

Post by Bbddl »

Bringing this thread back to life. I am looking for a 2024 Toyota Tundra new, they’re offering 1.99% financing.

We are absolutely debt-free and I do not like the idea of incurring $40-$50,000 in car loan debt but at 1.99% I think I would rather leave other funds in the market.

We live in NY, does it make much sense to pursue a truck purchase out of state or will New York still get their piece of the action (taxes) no matter what?
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Bbddl wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 12:56 pm Bringing this thread back to life. I am looking for a 2024 Toyota Tundra new, they’re offering 1.99% financing.
Make absolutely certain it was built in May 2024 or later. But regardless, you should be able to get a screaming deal on a Tundra right now.
beardsicles

Post by beardsicles »

Valuethinker wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:36 am

Toyota will lose a lot of loyal customers this way.

(Honda my father was on his 3rd when he died; my aunt and her partner on their 4th Toyota -- dealer got her one because in the previous 30 years they had always dealt with Toyota - 9 months later they were gone & dealer would have taken it back at list price).

Given where these manufacturers are on EVs as well, they are on a burning bridge. (I realise there's an implicit assumption in there about future track of EV sales - suffice it to say a European perception may be different (skewed?) than a North American one; rather than trying to debate that assumption let's just acknowledge it).
They're losing an entire generation of Prius owners who bought their first Prius between 2008 and 2015 and are switching to EVs as their Priuses age. The new Prius looks great but it's hard to imagine buying a gas car these days.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

The Toyota/Subaru EV has rebates and as low as 0% financing because nobody wants them. They new Prius is selling really well because it no longer looks like a 1950's space age toy, it has the option of AWD and total power nears 200 now. Other models have incentives up to $1000 plus $500 for military and $500 for new college grad. My local Toyota dealer has 98 cars on the lot. I do see 25 Camrys, so they're probably thinking of discounting the 24's but I have not gone in as I have no desire for any of today's Toyotas unless they do a better re-design of the Supra/Z4.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Bbddl wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 12:56 pm We live in NY, does it make much sense to pursue a truck purchase out of state or will New York still get their piece of the action (taxes) no matter what?
Even if you were able to register the car elsewhere, what makes you think another state/city/whatever where you do register it wouldn't get its piece of the action? And what makes you think that amount would be less that what you'd pay to NY?
Grump99

Post by Grump99 »

lazydavid wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 1:20 pm
Bbddl wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 12:56 pm Bringing this thread back to life. I am looking for a 2024 Toyota Tundra new, they’re offering 1.99% financing.
Make absolutely certain it was built in May 2024 or later. But regardless, you should be able to get a screaming deal on a Tundra right now.
Why May 2024 or later? Was there a mechanical issue? Thanks!
JoeJohnson

Post by JoeJohnson »

Grump99 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 6:57 pm
Recall? https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a6099 ... ne-recall/
Hoosier CPA

Post by Hoosier CPA »

If you do a search on this site about buying a new Toyota, in the last year someone shared a link to a spreadsheet that is update daily with all available new Toyotas and their asking price. You can find those that meet your criteria and sort by discount. We used that to find a new 4Runner in January.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

A car dealership is an absolutely terrible business. It's basically a front for the service department, and the finance department including car warranties. I'm guessing the undercutters have fully given up on making money on the car sale itself.
WonderWander

Post by WonderWander »

Bbddl wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 12:56 pm We live in NY, does it make much sense to pursue a truck purchase out of state or will New York still get their piece of the action (taxes) no matter what?
When I bought a car from a neighboring state last year, the dealer collected and remitted taxes for our state and handled all the registration details. If you are able to pick up the car without taxes in an out of state purchase, you will need to pay taxes when you register your vehicle in your state.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Grump99 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 6:57 pm
They've been having major, MAJOR issues with engine failures due to seized/cooked main bearings. Nearly always #1, but occasionally #4. Toyota will not authorize complete engine replacements under warranty, so the fix is a new short block. Your failed engine is completely dismantled down to its thousand or so components, and then re-assembled on the new short block. If memory serves, the book time for the repair is around 50 hours of labor, so it's down for 2-3 weeks during the repair.

The issue is so bad that many Toyota dealers (and nearly all non-Toyota dealers) are refusing to take Tundras on trade. This is why I said you could likely get a screaming deal right now.

So why May 2024+? In April 2024, the part number for main bearing #1 changed, implying that they may have found and corrected a design or manufacturing issue. Obviously way too early for this to be confirmed, but it's the best guess given the available information.
Ava

Post by Ava »

Can you get 2k under MSRP on a new camry?
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

MSRP (sticker) is a construct (per se, enter synonym).

What matters is the OTD final total price paid after dealer padding, markup options, et al.

The auto industry is highly predatory. Getting customers to focus on what is important to them; monthly payment, MSRP, etc, while the OTD price maybe higher for one dealer vs another, yet a discounted MSRP was quoted.

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
psteinx

Post by psteinx »

Sandtrap wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 8:43 am

What matters is the OTD final total price paid after dealer padding, markup options, et al.

The auto industry is highly predatory. Getting customers to focus on what is important to them; monthly payment, MSRP, etc, while the OTD price maybe higher for one dealer vs another, yet a discounted MSRP was quoted.

Implicit in people talking about getting a car under MSRP is the idea that the OTD (minus any state/local taxes included in that) will be under the manufacturer's MSRP. Yes, the manufacturer can set MSRP as high or low as they like, but most people feel the level of "deal" they get can be measured by how far above/below MSRP they pay (taking into account factors such as certain brands' tendency to discount more, overall market conditions, "hot" models, etc.)
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

psteinx wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 9:24 am

Implicit in people talking about getting a car under MSRP is the idea that the OTD (minus any state/local taxes included in that) will be under the manufacturer's MSRP. Yes, the manufacturer can set MSRP as high or low as they like, but most people feel the level of "deal" they get can be measured by how far above/below MSRP they pay (taking into account factors such as certain brands' tendency to discount more, overall market conditions, "hot" models, etc.)
good points
well said

j
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
snic

Post by snic »

psteinx wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 9:24 am

Most people feel that way precisely because of how predatory the dealerships are. If a MSRP is $X, there's an expectation that most of $X will go to the manufacturer and some much smaller fraction will go to the dealer. But if the dealer sells the car for $X + $2000, the entire $2000 goes to the dealer. Everyone hates dealers and sees absolutely no value in them. So everyone hates paying over MSRP. In this example, if the manufacturer just raised their MSRP by $2k and gave all of it to dealers, customers would be much happier paying the same amount because they don't know how much goes to the dealer.
bsteiner

Post by bsteiner »

whodidntante wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 7:11 pm ...
A car dealership is an absolutely terrible business. It's basically a front for the service department, and the finance department including car warranties. I'm guessing the undercutters have fully given up on making money on the car sale itself.
It was a while ago, but I recall from seeing a dealer's financial statement that they made money on all three (sales, finance and service).
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

bsteiner wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 11:33 am
whodidntante wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 7:11 pm ...
It was a while ago, but I recall from seeing a dealer's financial statement that they made money on all three (sales, finance and service).
I'd love to see the balance sheet and income statement of a median car dealership, broken out by department.
Topic Author
Parkinglotracer

I can remember if this has been mentioned but indexfundfan posted this link to a Facebook page back last Oct that lists toyotas being sold below MSRP

Seems like a good place to start from what I saw looking at it.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/nomarkuptoyota
MnD

Post by MnD »

The current Costco price sheet had significant discounts on numerous Toyota models.
The highest demand models were around 1.5K to 2K under MSRP and things like Tundra's were $3000 below dealer invoice!

Our dealer showed us the whole Costco discount sheet, not just the discount for the make/model we were interested in.
It appeared to have every model of Toyota sold with some discount.
They don't have to do that (show you the whole sheet) but ours did.

The participating Costco dealer will typically be the highest volume, low margin dealer in the area.
You have to go through Costco online to start the process.
70/30 AA for life, Global market cap equity. Rebalance if fixed income <25% or >35%. Weighted ER< .10%. 5% of annual portfolio balance SWR, Proportional (to AA) withdrawals.
mrmass

Post by mrmass »

Ava wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 8:14 am Can you get 2k under MSRP on a new camry?
Not a 2025.

https://www.woburntoyota.com/new-vehicl ... 5B0%5D=New