Anyone replaced an iPhone battery?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ncook303

Anyone replaced an iPhone battery?

Post by ncook303 »

Does anyone know if you take your iphone to an apple store for battery replacement, do you have to leave the phone for an extended period (days, or more), or if you have an appt, will they do it while you wait?
woody245

Re: Anyone replaced an iPhone battery?

Post by woody245 »

It can go either way, it depends how busy they are, and almost every time I've had a battery replacement, it took days not a few hours. Sometimes they would give you a loaner phone, sometimes they wouldn't. This is something I'd actually recommend going through an authorized provider or 3rd party service as they are faster.

On the other hand, if you have a spare phone you can use for a few days, I'd do that and go with an Apple Store battery replacement.
mnsportsgeek

Post by mnsportsgeek »

Whenever I have it done they tell me to walk around the mall for an hour and come back. This is at an Apple Store.

An Authorized service provider listed on apple.com is gonna be slower. For example, Best Buy or Microcenter.

Absolutely do not go through a 3rd party mom and pop shop for something as basic as a battery replacement. The cost is similar and you'll be sure to get an authentic battery through Apple.
Last edited by mnsportsgeek on Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

OP,

Are they doing it for free? If not, it is cheaper and better to get a Iphone chase with battery.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
mnsportsgeek

Post by mnsportsgeek »

KlangFool wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:18 pm OP,

Are they doing it for free? If not, it is cheaper and better to get a Iphone chase with battery.

KlangFool
OP might not want to turn their phone into a brick that is a pain to carry around.
Afty

Post by Afty »

I had the battery in my wife’s iPhone SE 2020 replaced recently. It took about an hour. Protip: Best Buy is an authorized Apple service provider and can replace iPhone batteries as well as the Apple Store.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Yes, I did it myself with an iPhone 5 battery replacement kit from iFixIt.
Freefun

Post by Freefun »

I have done this several times at the Apple store. They took 1-2 hours each time.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

mnsportsgeek wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:19 pm
KlangFool wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:18 pm OP,

KlangFool
OP might not want to turn their phone into a brick that is a pain to carry around.
Or, it is not a brick even with the battery phone case.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

The last time I did it, they sent me a refurbished phone in the mail, and I returned my dead phone back in the same mailer. It was a couple of years ago. Maybe they still do that.
Doctor Rhythm

Post by Doctor Rhythm »

Collectively, my family has replaced an iPhone battery maybe 8 times. Getting the appointment is the tricky part, in terms of open slots and the store having the battery in stock. Once you drop it off, it only takes an hour or two. Drop off the phone in the mall, do some shopping or eat, and come back.
student

Post by student »

Doctor Rhythm wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:10 pm Once you drop it off, it only takes an hour or two. Drop off the phone in the mall, do some shopping or eat, and come back.
I had a similar experience.
jackholloway

Post by jackholloway »

I have done this twice. $80 to get another year or two out of a phone, because someone in the family liked the shape and form factor. It's worth it if you really like the phone and case, or don't want to spend the cash for a top-of-the-line phone just yet.
gutterman

Post by gutterman »

I don't have an Apple Store nearby so I used their mail it in option. They mailed me a box and I shipped it. It was back to me in 4 days. I always keep my old phone as a spare when I get a new one so it wasn't a big deal.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

Take it to Batteries Plus.

Tim
9Iron

Post by 9Iron »

Yes, I have done it a few times.

Perhaps I’m a bit on the paranoid side .. before handing my phone over, I do the following:

1) Back up to icloud
2) Sign out of icloud account
3) Remove sim card
4) Reset Phone
5) Go through set up process, so that it is functional, but no longer has any personal data.
6) After servicing, reset and restore from icloud.
IowaFarmBoy

Post by IowaFarmBoy »

I had one done at Best Buy a few years ago. As I recall, I had to leave it for an hour or so. Best Buy was Apple authorized and I had it replaced under the plan Apple had for discounted replacements.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

ncook303 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:10 pm Does anyone know if you take your iphone to an apple store for battery replacement, do you have to leave the phone for an extended period (days, or more), or if you have an appt, will they do it while you wait?
Like others, I made an appointment and it took a couple hours. Since our Apple place is in a large mall, I just walked around while waiting.

But I think the most important thing that I didn't see said in the prior comments is that replacing the battery is not the making your phone as new again. The original batteries lasted for 2 to 3 years before it got to the point of needing multiple charges to get through the day. The replacement battery barely got me another year before being in the same place. Apple is constantly changing their operating system and how it interacts with the battery. I had an apple discount at the time so it was probably worth it but if I had to pay full price to replace the battery, I would definitely consider my long term plan with the phone and consider replacing it with a new one.
Erwin007

Post by Erwin007 »

You couldn’t pay me enough to replace a battery at the Apple Store. Just go to a third party place that does iPhone repairs. There are several near me. I was able to make an appointment online for the exact service I needed. They had me specify which phone I had. When I showed up they were ready for me and were done in about 30 minutes.

I had previously tried to schedule this through the Apple Store. The first time we just showed up. They told us that they didn’t have the batteries in stock so we had to make an appointment. I called to schedule the appointment and told them exactly what I needed. They said “no problem.” I showed up for my appointment only to be told that they did not in fact have any batteries for my phone and I would need to make an appointment. The Apple Store is about 30+ minutes from my house. Needless to say I have not been back.
Doctor Rhythm

Post by Doctor Rhythm »

9Iron wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:43 am Yes, I have done it a few times.

Perhaps I’m a bit on the paranoid side .. before handing my phone over, I do the following:

1) Back up to icloud
3) Remove sim card
4) Reset Phone
5) Go through set up process, so that it is functional, but no longer has any personal data.
You don’t actually need to give Apple Store your passcode or hand over an unlocked phone. If I recall, you need to change some settings only.

Oddly, I was asked to provide access to an unlocked phone the very first time I changed a battery, but not in any subsequent swaps. I just said that my work prohibits me from granting access to my phone (which is true in my case). They didn’t have a problem with it.
indexfund56

Post by indexfund56 »

Replaced my iPhone battery recently at the Apple store. They told me to come back in about 90 mins and it was ready when I returned. Easy, no hassle process.
twh

Post by twh »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:27 pm Yes, I did it myself with an iPhone 5 battery replacement kit from iFixIt.
iPhone 5 was easy. Since the iPhone 7, they all have adhesive holding the thing together to keep it water tight. Plus, if you have a model with a Home button, that cable is extra fragile and can easily get messed up and you cannot just buy a spare part, it has to be paired with your phone by some special tools at Apple.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

I didn't know that (or not in that level of detail). Thanks! But I agree the iPhone 5 was easy if you can follow basic directions, except actually removing the original battery, (which was affixed with some pretty strong adhesive or adhesive tape on the inside).
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

I’ve done it twice, both of them were 1st gen SE iPhones. The first time I tried to do it at Best Buy but they turned me away as they didn’t have any batteries for such an old phone! So I took it to the nearest Apple Store. They had the batteries and it only took an hour.

They told me it had gone through 950 charge cycles! I’d had the phone for 5-1/2 years. And it was badly in need of a replacement.

For the second phone I didn’t bother with Best Buy (and never will again). I took it straight to the Apple Store and again it took about an hour. Had lunch and walked around the mall a bit and it was done.

But you missed getting it before the price increase which took effect on March 1st. For my phones it went from $50 to $70, but I got in under the wire!
hudson

Post by hudson »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:27 pm Yes, I did it myself with an iPhone 5 battery replacement kit from iFixIt.
I looked at buying the kit from iFixit and replacing it myself on an iPhone 8.
Once I saw the video, I decided to do something else.
I'm OK with laptops and computers, but the iPhone battery replacement was very technical with many steps. The parts were tiny. I could do it if pressed (I did related work full time for 14 years); if I did it, it might not be waterproof any more. I'd rather mail it in to Apple and let somebody do it that did it full time.
Last edited by hudson on Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
MarkBarb

Post by MarkBarb »

I just want to point out how pathetic it is that we went from easily swappable batteries on phones to systems that require days for battery replacement. It's pathetic and I think it is deliberately designed to discourage repairs.
twh

Post by twh »

MarkBarb wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:21 pm I just want to point out how pathetic it is that we went from easily swappable batteries on phones to systems that require days for battery replacement. It's pathetic and I think it is deliberately designed to discourage repairs.
This is true to an extent. Swappable means higher cost and less capacity and larger overall device. For me, I'd accept those for the ability to easy swap in a new battery.

In case you are not aware, there is a large movement for the ability to repair things -- known as Right to Repair. A number of states are passing various laws governing this. Apple only recently started selling repair parts to non-authorized repair shops.
yolointopants

Post by yolointopants »

9Iron wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:43 am Yes, I have done it a few times.

1) Back up to icloud
3) Remove sim card
4) Reset Phone
Older post, but I went through this recently.

First, backed up using iTunes so it was a local backup. I don't use iCloud beyond the free storage.

Turned off wallet.

Went to BestBuy. They insisted I give them my apple ID password and also my iPhone PIN. That seemed shady as hell. I asked why. They said they needed it. That didn't seem legit at all. I refused. They declined repair.

Went to Apple Store. Was not asked at any point for my iPhone PIN, but did have to log into AppleID using their computer. Put phone in airplane mode, handed phone to dude. Phone was powered down in front of me. They did not thus have access to phone contents at any point. Battery replaced 45 minute later. Phone was powered up, but password had to be entered.

Cost was 2x at Apple Store, but process was far less shady than at BestBuy.

Changed AppleID password upon returning home in rare even of some questionable key logger on store computer.
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

ncook303 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:10 pm Does anyone know if you take your iphone to an apple store for battery replacement, do you have to leave the phone for an extended period (days, or more), or if you have an appt, will they do it while you wait?
It only takes them a few minutes. The long part is waiting in line. I would recommend making an appointment online.
hudson

Post by hudson »

gutterman wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:55 am I don't have an Apple Store nearby so I used their mail it in option. They mailed me a box and I shipped it. It was back to me in 4 days. I always keep my old phone as a spare when I get a new one so it wasn't a big deal.
Similar story...
Apple Store is way too much trouble and at least an hour away.
I keep an old iPhone as a backup.
I use AppleCare+ for faster service.
A month or so back, I cracked the front glass and requested a repair. (The battery was showing a little age.)
It was $106. I think I got a replacement in a day. I shipped my damaged one back. There was a $1000 plus or minus hold on my credit card until they got it.
My replacement phone came with a brand new battery. Two birds, one stone.
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

I replaced the phone on my Apple 6 phone because it was a free replacement. They got it done in a few hours, I dropped it off, took my daughter to dinner and it was done shortly thereafter.

Moving forward I prefer to replace my phone once the battery life is unacceptable, however I do shop for the best deal. Currently have two leased iphone 13s on my unlimited plan and my bill was $83. I pay with a CC that provides insurance.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

I had it done a while back. You make an appointment and they replace it in a few hours, This was for an iPhone 8 days so it was more like 50 to 80 dollars. Recent iPhone battery are way more expensive.

You can also go to a ifixit type place. They might replace it with a cheaper third party version. They appear to work as well as the apple battery but battery health status might display an error. Battery change also take a few hours.
vfinx

Post by vfinx »

In terms of preparation, I believe you just need to disable “Find My” on the device, and that requires entering your Apple ID credentials. But you could do this yourself, before stepping into the store. There is a security measure tied to “Find My” that prevents someone from being able to alter the device without your knowledge. You can also remove your cards from Apple wallet to be extra safe, but I didn’t bother doing that last time. But if you use home key or car key, it might be good to disable those.
bradinsky

Post by bradinsky »

Last summer my iPhone 8 Plus battery was not holding a charge. It was the original battery & I was the second owner. I contacted Apple & they actually referred me to Best Buy. They told me that BB is authorized to repair Apple phones. I made an appointment & when I dropped it off they said it would take 1 1/2 - 2 hours. I left it & returned a couple of hours later. The did a nice job & I believe the cost was $69 + tax. It was worth it for me. Since then, I have given the phone to my DW, who is an infrequent cell phone user & I now have a iPhone 15, my first new phone in about 9 years.
FIRWYW

Post by FIRWYW »

Lots of iPhones in the family. One replaced at the Apple Store under warranty. Others outside of warranty at batteries+. All took about an hour.
Valjean

Post by Valjean »

I’ve replaced the batteries on iPhones 3 times using kits from ifixit. The last one took me about an hour and a half but slow and steady is the key. Ifixit now makes a special suction tool that makes it easier to separate the parts of the phone.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

MarkBarb wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:21 pm I just want to point out how pathetic it is that we went from easily swappable batteries on phones to systems that require days for battery replacement. It's pathetic and I think it is deliberately designed to discourage repairs.
In my experience, the smartphone generation with swappablw batteries had worse battery life, necessitating carrying spares. They aged and became performance-deprecated so had the same effective lifespan as newer phones, anyway.

This makes repairability advantage not a real thing. Nobody was swapping out memory chips and headphone ports on their phones, anyway.
hudson

Post by hudson »

Valjean wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:07 pm I’ve replaced the batteries on iPhones 3 times using kits from ifixit. The last one took me about an hour and a half but slow and steady is the key. I fixit now makes a special suction tool that makes it easier to separate the parts of the phone.
I vote that do-it-yourself iPad and iPhone repairs are for only the advanced tech person.
These devices are not designed for simple repairs.
I tried to disassemble an old dead iPad that I was going to discard.
It was a nightmare. It wasn't like repairing a laptop that comes apart with screws. It was glued with a serious adhesive. I finally got it apart with big screwdrivers and pliers. The case and screen were destroyed in the process.
The battery made up most of the space inside. I drilled through what I thought was the "hard drive" and it's ready to go to recycling.

Bottom line: Battery replacement on an iPhone is not for the do-it-yourselfer.
Valjean is a one-percenter tech person!
swengineer

Post by swengineer »

I had an iPhone 7 battery replaced at the Apple store at the end of 2018 when the $29 battery replacement settlement deal was expiring at the end of 2018. They broke the screen during the battery replacement and replaced it with a new screen, no extra charge, but did take 30 minutes longer than originally planned.
beachtech

Post by beachtech »

+1 agree

As a compromise (if any lawmakers are reading this!) I’d be okay if a battery swap only required a precision screwdriver or two.

It’s the strong adhesives that really make it a pain and a slow/delicate/destructive process with current devices. I’ve no doubt that some way of keeping the battery from moving around is necessary, and that adhesives were an inexpensive solution for the manufacturer. But there are other solutions that would work just fine too and enable DIY battery swaps to be much faster and less risky.

This would be better environmentally too, for battery and end-of-life device recycling.

For the original topic: I’ve done it once at Apple Store and was fairly quick, maybe 60-90 mins, went for a walk around the mall. I’ve done the DIY battery replacement kits several times for myself and family members, who were okay with the risk of potentially needing to buy a new phone if things went south. It’s always worked out well, inexpensively adding a year or two to a device’s lifespan, but I was cursing the adhesive strips every time.
nulka

Post by nulka »

Companies made phones with easily replaceable batteries, which got outsold by the smaller and lighter phones without easily replaceable batteries. People also complain that phones are too large, but when companies listen to consumer complaints and sell smaller phones, the sales numbers are poor.

I wish Apple would make new iPhone Minis with replaceable batteries, but there's no conspiracy that's stopping them from doing it. Small phones don't sell well, so they stopped making high-end small phones, and phones that take space on weight on making the battery replaceable sell worse, so they don't sell those either.
Carl53

Post by Carl53 »

Wife took her Iphone 13 into Apple to replace battery. Got it back several days later. Now the battery drains much faster than before. Junk.
Claudia Whitten

Post by Claudia Whitten »

Had my iPhone 8 Plus battery replaced 3 times, at the Apple store. Went in and 1 hour later had a device with a new battery. Worked great each time. Highly recommend replacing the battery at Apple store at least once. Extends the life of the phone.

One tip: If the battery "health" is 80 percent or higher, they will try to tell you they won't replace the battery. Insist on it. You're the customer.
Carl53

Post by Carl53 »

Carl53 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:07 am Wife took her Iphone 13 MacBook Pro into Apple to replace battery. Got it back several days later. Now the battery drains faster than before. Junk.
Polar_Ice

Post by Polar_Ice »

I have done many battery replacements over the years on iphones of mine and kids. Most of the batteries are not good quality and likely will not last. I would recommend getting it done by Apple if it is a newer model otherwise find a local repair shops with good rating that will give a warranty or some guarantee. It is quick to do but if you are not careful can easily damage cables or the display.

You want to use a quality battery that had been certified with CE/RoSH markings.

Also don't leave your phone plugged in overnight. Best to unplug it when it is charged or keep it charged between 25-85% only if you want it to last longer or have more charge cycles.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

Polar_Ice wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:46 am
You want to use a quality battery that had been certified with CE/RoSH markings.
not a foolproof signal of reliability because generic products from china (really shenzen) will stamp those logos unauthorized.
Polar_Ice

Post by Polar_Ice »

hunoraut wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:58 am
Polar_Ice wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:46 am
not a foolproof signal of reliability because generic products from china (really shenzen) will stamp those logos unauthorized.

That is very true unfortunately. So other batteries from Apple I don't know of a brand since most are from China that you can trust.
Valjean

Post by Valjean »

hudson wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:26 am
Valjean wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:07 pm I’ve replaced the batteries on iPhones 3 times using kits from ifixit. The last one took me about an hour and a half but slow and steady is the key. I fixit now makes a special suction tool that makes it easier to separate the parts of the phone.
I vote that do-it-yourself iPad and iPhone repairs are for only the advanced tech person.
These devices are not designed for simple repairs.
I tried to disassemble an old dead iPad that I was going to discard.
It was a nightmare. It wasn't like repairing a laptop that comes apart with screws. It was glued with a serious adhesive. I finally got it apart with big screwdrivers and pliers. The case and screen were destroyed in the process.
The battery made up most of the space inside. I drilled through what I thought was the "hard drive" and it's ready to go to recycling.

Bottom line: Battery replacement on an iPhone is not for the do-it-yourselfer.
Valjean is a one-percenter tech person!
I looked into replacing an iPad screen. From what I could tell, iPads are constructed completely differently from iPhones and the cost of the replacement screen is a much
Higher percentage of the cost of a new device. Better just to replace it. I also took apart a dead iPad. Nightmare.

But for the iPhones, I really had no experience other than that I know how to find things on YouTube and I’m cynical enough to believe it can’t really be that hard.