Help me evaluate these cities for a promotion opportunity

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
mathwhiz

Help me evaluate these cities for a promotion opportunity

Post by mathwhiz » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:11 pm

A promotion opportunity has come up within my company. I'd have to give my top 3 preferences and they would do what they could to get me my top choice but that of course couldn't be guaranteed. It would involve me moving from Florida to one of these 8 cities.

Lakewood, CO
Phoenix, AZ
Sacramento, CA
Raleigh, NC
Las Vegas, NV
Columbia, SC
Nashville, TN
Austin, TX

Any comments and/or personal experiences on any of these cities would be appreciated.

Climate wise I don't think I could handle Colorado. I like warm weather.

California is a high-tax state that seems to be in crisis. I think the last place I want to go is Sacramento.

I'm at least somewhat open to the other 6. The added benefit of moving to Texas, Nevada, and Tennessee would be the lack of a state income tax like Florida.

plarmigan

Post by plarmigan » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:19 pm

I have lived in Dallas my entire life & would move to Austin in a heartbeat. Probably my favorite city in TX. Can't beat the cost of living there.

Opponent Process

Post by Opponent Process » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:30 pm

for me:

1. Lakewood, CO
2. Nashville, TN
3. Austin, TX

I've already lived in Nashville and Austin, so I'd prefer the novelty of the Denver area. but Austin and Nashville are great. Actually I don't think there are any bad cities on that list except for Sacramento.
30/30/20/20 | US/International/Bonds/TIPS | Average Age=37

bmb

Post by bmb » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:35 pm

I would probably check out Lakewood, since it's near Denver, so we probably won't agree. (Maybe use me as a counter-indicator, since I also dislike Florida.)
I do agree, Austin is the only nice city in Texas. Relatively low cost of living, attractive and lots to do.
If you like hot, try Phoenix. I hate it, too crowded and hot. Like Florida without the ocean.
Las Vegas is intriguing, haven't been there in a long time, but I would probably avoid it. Lots of cheap real estate there now, though.
The others, I wouldn't even consider, except possibly Raleigh.

rockies47

Post by rockies47 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:38 pm

My top 3:

Lakewood, CO
Raleigh, NC
Columbia, SC

Being born and raised in Denver, I'm a little prejudiced. Hard to pass on Colorado.
Last edited by rockies47 on Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave

Frobie

Post by Frobie » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:38 pm

Everyone I know who has lived in Austin loved it.

I was in Columbia, SC for a couple of years. I liked it a lot. College town/state capital, reasonable size, 2 hours from the beach or the mountains. A very livable place IMO.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:44 pm

Tennessee is a great place, but I'm a little biased. The winter lasts from sometime in December to sometime in March and doesn't spend much time below freezing. Sometimes that's too much for me, but its a lot better than some of the places I've lived.

You don't say whether you're married, have kids, or what your interests are, but I don't think you can go with Nashville either way.

PM me if there's anything in particular you want to know about Tennessee or Nashville.

rwwoods

Post by rwwoods » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:54 pm

I have lived in Raleigh and Austin. Both are great towns. Both are state capitols with a major university which creates a diverse population. College basketball in king in Raleigh as is football in Austin. However, I preferred living in Austin due to its younger spirit, music and festivals, parks and lakes, and - well, there is just something about Texas. As they say, "Texas is a state of mind."
"I'm not so much concerned about the return on my money as the return of my money" - Will Rogers

Taz

Post by Taz » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:55 pm

Pretty diverse as far as character of cities & states go it would be tough to zero in on the pros/cons without boundaries (like kids & their ages; interests, & such).

Raleigh - My folks live just east & I grew up about an hour away. Great options for watching college sports; good colleges in town & nearby; lot's of stuff to do; good entertainment venues (all the big names usually go there); great BBQ; beaches 2.5 to the east; mountains to the west; traffic is increasing; taxes are growing year; too many da*n Yankees (according to my mom).

When I retired from the Navy, I thought Nashville would be a great place to live for the family if my wife got a job there. Four seasons. Slower pace than Raleigh.

Austin - kinda trendy if you like that sorta thing. If seems to be on many of the top xx lists.
The destination matters.

redbeard

Re: Help me evaluate these cities for a promotion opportunit

Post by redbeard » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:35 pm

mathwhiz wrote:Climate wise I don't think I could handle Colorado. I like warm weather.
As far as cold goes, Colorado isn't as bad as you might think. Still, coming from Florida it would be a huge change. I lived there for 13 years and have been in Dallas now for about 7. The biggest difference I noticed climate wise is how much shorter the cold season is in Dallas. Especially in the mountains, spring lasts forever. There were areas we fished that didn't open for "spring" fishing until July or later. In Denver and the front range it isn't as bad, but you still would need to get used to a much longer winter. If you are into boating for example, be prepared to keep your boat out of the water for roughly half the year.

The other thing I would point out about Denver (which is what Lakewood really is) is that if you don't like the city or the mountains there really isn't much different within driving distance. As much as I like the area, it always feels very small to me when I go back. Almost like a city/state sealed in a bottle. While Denver is a big (ish) city with major sports teams and a major airport, etc, there isn't another city of similar stature within a day's drive in any direction. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it does lead to less movement of people, fashions, etc in and out of the city than you typically find in a city that size.

jeh

Post by jeh » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:01 pm

I am Carolina born and bred so obviously I have bias. I think NC has a lot to offer, Raleigh in particular, 2 hrs to mountains, 2 hours to coast and a good airport. You didn't say what your "needs" are but I think Raleigh could be good for both "family" and "single" life. However, a choice like Las Vegas? - maybe not. There are plenty of small towns right outside of Raleigh that could fit many "styles" i.e. small town, trendy town, up and coming, etc.

If I ever "ran away from home" (NC) I have considered both Colorado and Texas as they seem to fit my personality - from what I've read. All the personality/town tests tell me I should move to Texas - I think it was on like Forbes or Money mag about matching your values to their ranked towns.

Good luck!

BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:17 pm

1. Austin
2. Austin
3. Austin
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 12-time loser

3CT_Paddler

Post by 3CT_Paddler » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:34 pm

1. Nashville, TN
2. Austin, TX
3. Cootlumbia, SC - It is called the armpit of the South for good reason. The nice thing about it though is lower cost of living, some decent schools (not great), and you are two hours from Charleston or the mountains (Greenville/Clemson).

TheEternalVortex

Post by TheEternalVortex » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:39 pm

1. Sacramento
2. Las Vegas
3. Phoenix/Austin

mathwhiz

Post by mathwhiz » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:47 pm

I'm young and single and very adaptable other than maybe climate. I'm looking at it as a new adventure.

I like warm weather and lots of outdoor activities, swimming, hiking, etc. This would primarily be a job for my career progression. I stay there for a few years and then move on to the next opportunity.

My initial reactions were Austin and Raleigh seemed the most interesting to me. But I'm trying to keep an open mind as it's a big decision.

Levett

Post by Levett » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:32 pm

This sixty-seven year old guy was in Austin a couple of weeks ago with my youngest son who lives in Houston. I believe it was our third visit.

I think it's a hip throwback kinda place that I would seriously consider even at my age. There's just everything to do and the cost of living is incredibly reasonable.

I felt like I'd gone back to the sixties when we finished the last night here. http://local.yahoo.com/info-19397366-shady-grove-austin All the help were wearing t-shirts that said it all: Keep Austin Weird.

How could you possibly go wrong in Austin? :lol: Bob U.
There are some things that count that can't be counted, and some things that can be counted that don't count.

R-Man

Post by R-Man » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:34 pm

I've lived in Sac, Nashville, and Austin. Sac is too expensive for my taste. Both Nashville and Austin are my vote with S.C. third. Vegas has trouble right now with the lack of tourist and too much housing.
Wag More, Bark Less.

diasurfer

Post by diasurfer » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:02 pm

If Austin was on the ocean I would have never left the place.

Chuck T

Post by Chuck T » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:17 pm

1 Lakewood, Co
2 Columbia, SC
3 Raleigh, NC

stan1

Post by stan1 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:29 pm

I'd agree with Sacramento being the least desirable of the lot, and the rest being reasonably good choices so you can experience a part of America that is new to you. I wouldn't go into it with the idea that you'll only be there for a few years -- things have a way of happening when you are young and single.

If you want to speculate in single family residential real estate, Las Vegas, Phoenix, and Sacramento should all have some houses selling for close to 50% off their peak.

Having lived in CA all of my life, I'd go with:
1) Austin
2) Nashville
(and am considering these two for retirement -- taxes)

I like living in small close-knit neighborhoods rather than suburban sprawl, so I like older cities and college towns. I haven't been to Columbia, SC.

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:59 pm

Phoenix would be the least desirable place for me.
Gordon

Ziggy75

Post by Ziggy75 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:25 am

I would say no to Phoenix...too hot.
No to any place in California...high cost of living and high taxes.
No to Las Vegas...Too touristy

Colorado is a toss up.

The other cities would be great.

I would probably pick the city that is closest to your extended family and close friends.

WheatThin

Post by WheatThin » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:58 am

Phoenix is hellishly hot. Your lips are chapped in about 10 minutes. I've never been to Austin myself but anyone I've ever heard mention it seems to do so in a positive light. If I ever get disillusioned with my job (getting there), Austin will be among the first places I look.

rwwoods

Post by rwwoods » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:38 am

Some anecdotal stories.

IBM is in Raleigh and Austin. I heard from the employees that IBM has the hardest time getting people to move from either city to another IBM site.

Back in the 80s when Texas was in a recession, it was said that Austin had more PHDs waiting tables than any other city because they didn't want to move.
"I'm not so much concerned about the return on my money as the return of my money" - Will Rogers

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:40 am

My vote ;) is:
#1 - Austin
#2 - Raleigh
#3 - Nashville

Try to get #1, though. Good luck,
Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

chaz

Post by chaz » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:24 am

Real estate in Las Vegas is at bargain prices, and no state income tax.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

mathwhiz

Post by mathwhiz » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:24 pm

My vote Wink is:
#1 - Austin
#2 - Raleigh
#3 - Nashville
I'm still evaluating but I actually think that is my order of preference right now. I've also heard nothing but good things from my friends/relatives about Austin and Texas like Florida has no state income tax.

I think Phoenix is out because of the desert climate. I like trees and greenery and there's nothing like a nice thunderstorm during the summer afternoons to cool things off. I prefer sauna to oven in my heat.

Vegas is intriguing. But I think it's one of those it's a nice place to visit but not to live kind of cities. It also has the same desert climate problem that Phoenix has. And I'm not crazy about the idea of living in a gambling city. Too many social ills and tourists.

MWCA

Post by MWCA » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:39 pm

Sacramento is expensive. However, you are close to Lake Tahoe and the coast/wine country if that is your thing.

Im leaving at retirement. :)

topper1296

Post by topper1296 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:42 pm

1. Nashville, TN
2. Austin, TX

I have lived in Nashville for about 10 years now and the climate is pretty moderate year round with affordable housing, no state income tax, and some of the best hospitals in the nation. I think one of the best things about Nashville is that is still has a bit of a small town feel while having the stuff to do of a city (SEC college sports-Vandy, NFL-Titans, and NHL-Predators if you like sports). It also has plenty of live music (there is more here than just country), the symphony, musicals/plays, and a lot to offer for outdoor activities.

I have also visited Austin a few times and it is a great city, but summers there are very hot.

GeekedOut

Post by GeekedOut » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:46 pm

The few times I've been in Texas (Houston and Dallas) they've confirmed every negative stereotype I have about the place. Sacramento sucks, but the only place comparable on your list is Colorado. And I wasn't impressed with Colorado Springs.

Opponent Process

Post by Opponent Process » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:55 pm

GeekedOut wrote:The few times I've been in Texas (Houston and Dallas) they've confirmed every negative stereotype I have about the place.
Austin is unlike the rest of Texas. Some would say it's pretty much the opposite.
30/30/20/20 | US/International/Bonds/TIPS | Average Age=37

celia

Post by celia » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:11 am

Sounds like you probably have a good income and we could sure use folks like you in California. Did you know our weather is the BEST!

SteveB3005

Post by SteveB3005 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:54 am

I'm going to throw in a couple of plugs here for Lakewood/Denver.

It can get cold in the winter yes, but there are even warm days in Dec/Jan, I've golfed in short sleeves on New Years Day. Eight months of the year we have some of the best weather anywhere in America.

I grew up in Pittsburgh, lived in San Jose,Dallas, and Birmingham and I have to say this is the most socially tolerant place of all of them. I think in part because it has grown so fast in the last 30 years it is still forming it's identity and in part because it retains that western spirit of, "Live and Let Live".

My distant second choice would be Austin, Texas.

dphmd

Post by dphmd » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:09 am

1. Raleigh
2. Austin
3. Nashville

I moved to the Triangle 3 years ago and love it here, so I have to recommend Raleigh. The weather is great and the people are fantastic with a very progressive attitude. The city itself has your choice of downtown living or quiet neighborhood. Three hours east is the beach, and three hours west is the mountains with pretty much any choice of outdoor activities. Also, with three major universities within 20 minutes of each other, the opportunities for cultural events abound.

North Carolina has done a relatively good job of diversifying its economy over the past 30 years, so we've weathered the recession quite well compared to many places.