Standing Desk vs. Standing Desk Riser

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
davebo

Standing Desk vs. Standing Desk Riser

Post by davebo »

Sitting for long periods has been a little hard on my back, so looking at a standing desk option. Have an L-shaped desk that I really like, so I tried buying one of those desk risers that you see on Amazon. The problem is that when lowered, they are about 5 inches off the top of the desk, so I had to raise my chair up and, even then, the monitor seemed way too high. Also the riser is just way too bulky on top of the desk.

Anyone have any recommendations? Or is that something you just need to deal with if you have a riser?

I looked at standing desks that move up by pressing a button, so that is probably the way to go. I'd have to get rid of my existing desk though.
mw1739

Re: Standing Desk vs. Standing Desk Riser

Post by mw1739 »

I've used a riser for the last 3 years or so. While I'm mostly happy with it, I don't like how far back I sit from my computer with it, and as you've found out, it's difficult to get the height correct. I'm getting ready to order a new standing desk, but I also dislike my current desk. Planning to order a Desk Haus standing desk, which seem to be high quality.
Afty

Post by Afty »

When I became full-time WFH a couple years ago, I bought a 72" standing desk with electric adjustment and memory. It's been well worth it. I switch back and forth between standing and sitting several times a day. It was about $450 from a used office furniture store.
Last edited by Afty on Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ktdintex

Post by ktdintex »

I went from a riser to a standing desk, and the latter is a huge improvement in every way except cost. The prices have really come down. The only mistake I made with my standing desk purchase was undersizing the desk area. I ended up buying a new larger top, removing the old one, and installing the new one in its place.
riverant

Post by riverant »

davebo wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:41 pm Sitting for long periods has been a little hard on my back, so looking at a standing desk option. Have an L-shaped desk that I really like, so I tried buying one of those desk risers that you see on Amazon. The problem is that when lowered, they are about 5 inches off the top of the desk, so I had to raise my chair up and, even then, the monitor seemed way too high. Also the riser is just way too bulky on top of the desk.

Anyone have any recommendations? Or is that something you just need to deal with if you have a riser?

I looked at standing desks that move up by pressing a button, so that is probably the way to go. I'd have to get rid of my existing desk though.
I actually have 2 mechanical standing desks at home and another at work. I love them.
coalcracker

Post by coalcracker »

I am a radiologist, and most of us have standing desks for our home workstations. Far and away most popular brand is uplift. I have one and it works great.
makeitcount

Post by makeitcount »

I am in the market for a standing desk as well.
Any other recommended brands or perhaps features to search out?
riverant

Post by riverant »

Realized my first post got cut off. My first desk was a 65” brand name lift desk with dual motors and memory. Think uplift, Jarvis, vertdesk. It’s great but is $900. I just bought a 48” desk off Amazon from a no name, but us brand that seems very comparable on quality. It’s also $400 (550 for a 60”). The key is getting a 3 stage desk with dual motors to get extended range and quiet operation.

I imagine a rising would be a pain to move in and out of position and store when not using. The height issue can be corrected with a gas-spring monitor arm they allows you to change the height of the monitor.

FLEXISPOT Classic 3 Stages Dual Motor Electric Standing Desk 48x30 Inches Whole-Piece Desk Board Height Adjustable Desk Electric Stand Up Desk Sit Stand Desk(Black Frame + Black Desktop) https://a.co/d/0pmI6K3
Swift

Post by Swift »

Most people I have encountered (myself included) who have standing desks end up sitting at them most of the time after the newness wears off, but the biggest advantage is that you can get the height JUST right to be able to sit properly for your own body type (which can also eliminate back pains). So even if you invest in a sit-stand desk for just that reason, still well worth it.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Swift wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:34 pm Most people I have encountered (myself included) who have standing desks end up sitting at them most of the time after the newness wears off, but the biggest advantage is that you can get the height JUST right to be able to sit properly for your own body type (which can also eliminate back pains). So even if you invest in a sit-stand desk for just that reason, still well worth it.
Agree. Within a few months, I never used it to stand, but being able to raise or lower it an inch or two whenever I felt like it was totally worth the cost.

As far as standing desk vs riser, it always seemed to me that the risers are just a temporary bodge to keep from paying the full cost of a standing desk, and that people who need a standing desk should just bite the bullet and get one.
nanciT

Post by nanciT »

My husband bought a Tresanti 47" adjustable desk at Costco and loves it. He's had it for a year now and does change it often during the day depending on what type of meeting he has.
Cobbles&Cols

Post by Cobbles&Cols »

I've used both, and the full standing desk is vastly superior IMO. I'm currently using a Jarvis desk that I've had for about 6 years and it is still going strong.

As others have mentioned, the ability to fine-tune the height adjustment is as valuable as being able to switch from stand to sit. I have several different preset heights for different activities (e.g., for me optimal height for typing/computer work is slightly lower than doing paperwork).

Combining the sit/stand desk with highly adjustable monitor stands and/or swing arms is ideal so that you can really dial in the ergonomics.
montanagirl

Post by montanagirl »

I don't understand what happens to my great 2-monitor PC setup if I switch to standing. Does the whole area rise up?

Are there desks that are as big as a real desk that accommodate everything you had sitting down?

I mean the one guy at work who stood was standing all the time.

Or is everyone on laptops now?
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

montanagirl wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:47 am I don't understand what happens to my great 2-monitor PC setup if I switch to standing. Does the whole area rise up?

Are there desks that are as big as a real desk that accommodate everything you had sitting down?

I mean the one guy at work who stood was standing all the time.

Or is everyone on laptops now?
The monitors move with the desk top. You probably want a monitor arm too.

KlangFool
40% VWENX | 12.5% VFWAX/VTIAX | 11.5% VTSAX | 16% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 40% Wellington 40% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
daheld

Post by daheld »

Bought this on Black Friday as I started a hybrid position earlier this month. Really satisfied thus far.

https://www.amazon.com/Flexispot-EC1W-R ... r=8-5&th=1
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

davebo wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:41 pm Sitting for long periods has been a little hard on my back, so looking at a standing desk option. Have an L-shaped desk that I really like, so I tried buying one of those desk risers that you see on Amazon. The problem is that when lowered, they are about 5 inches off the top of the desk, so I had to raise my chair up and, even then, the monitor seemed way too high. Also the riser is just way too bulky on top of the desk.

I have tried a number of risers, powered and manual, but there was no comparison once getting a quality full size stand up desk.

However, everyone has personal preferences in these things.
j
What I have: Jarvis stand up desk, programmable heights.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GV ... UTF8&psc=1
Last edited by Sandtrap on Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

We have 3 of the standing desks linked below (2 personal, 1 work). I like the simple design and lack of electric controls (just a hand crank). I do not lower the desk, I use a tall chair instead.

Desk: https://www.amazon.com/Stand-Up-Desk-St ... 00M3320JQ/

Chair: https://www.staples.com/Tempur-Pedic-Er ... uct_953735
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca