iPhone 13 Charger - Which generic brand on Amazon is best?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
teelainen

iPhone 13 Charger - Which generic brand on Amazon is best?

Post by teelainen »

We are tired of paying high prices for original Apple accessories.

We need an iPhone 13 charger. Does anyone know a good generic brand on Amazon that you would recommend? We are looking for something that doesn't damage the battery.
onourway

Re: iPhone 13 Charger - Which generic brand on Amazon is best?

Post by onourway »

The Apple 20w USB-C adapter is only $18 and compact and a known reliable design that is able to charge an iPhone at its maximum allowable rate. I would just buy one of those unless you are looking for some other feature as well (more compact, multiple ports, more powerful to charge other devices as well, etc.) If it's simply to charge a phone and nothing else, it's already inexpensive enough that I wouldn't bother looking at anything else.
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

Generic chargers run the risk of damaging your device. This is one area where it may be worth paying extra for the name brand product.

I have an iPhone 14 Pro and charge it with the tiny 5 watt charger that came with my iPhone 5S back in 2013. The charger has never had any issues so I keep using it.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

For all things charger related, go with Anker. Off brand chargers are not going to damage your device but some of them may not charge as fast as claimed or work as reliably as they should.

Anker is probably the closest thing to a name brand in this space and is at least a known good name.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

dukeblue219 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:04 pm For all things charger related, go with Anker. Off brand chargers are not going to damage your device but some of them may not charge as fast as claimed or work as reliably as they should.

Anker is probably the closest thing to a name brand in this space and is at least a known good name.
Anker has always worked well for me too. I think they also hard a wireless Qi charger for about $13 when got mine.
teamDE

Post by teamDE »

Agreed, Anker is the way.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

climber2020 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:02 pm Generic chargers run the risk of damaging your device. This is one area where it may be worth paying extra for the name brand product.
Maybe, but I doubt it. Most use the same chipsets to do all the proper handshaking. That is if you call Anker, RAV, et al. "generic." I consider them name-brand.

A 5W charger will take about 4 times longer to charge a phone that accepts 20W for part of its charging cycle (when phone battery is 0% to ~75% "full").
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

Anker does have really good customer service. I've bought some USB cords from them, and the 2 times that I've gotten a dud they sent me a replacement one for free.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

dukeblue219 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:04 pm For all things charger related, go with Anker. Off brand chargers are not going to damage your device but some of them may not charge as fast as claimed or work as reliably as they should.

I have multiple Anker devices and never have had one go bad. I'm sold on their quality.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Topic Author
teelainen

Post by teelainen »

onourway wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:59 pm The Apple 20w USB-C adapter is only $18 and compact and a known reliable design that is able to charge an iPhone at its maximum allowable rate. I would just buy one of those unless you are looking for some other feature as well (more compact, multiple ports, more powerful to charge other devices as well, etc.) If it's simply to charge a phone and nothing else, it's already inexpensive enough that I wouldn't bother looking at anything else.
Is $18 for the charger + cable? Or just the charger only? Do you have a link?
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I have never had an apple charger or cable go bad. I have had many generics that have gone bad and never at a great moment. So now I just stick with the apple recommended chargers and cables if needed.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

teelainen wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:37 pm
onourway wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:59 pm The Apple 20w USB-C adapter is only $18 and compact and a known reliable design that is able to charge an iPhone at its maximum allowable rate. I would just buy one of those unless you are looking for some other feature as well (more compact, multiple ports, more powerful to charge other devices as well, etc.) If it's simply to charge a phone and nothing else, it's already inexpensive enough that I wouldn't bother looking at anything else.
https://www.amazon.com/Apple-20W-USB-C- ... B08L5M9BTJ
Topic Author
teelainen

Post by teelainen »

lthenderson wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:39 pm
lthenderson, do you have a link to the cable for this? I can't seem to find it.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

teelainen wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:46 pm
lthenderson wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:39 pm
lthenderson, do you have a link to the cable for this? I can't seem to find it.
https://www.amazon.com/Apple-MM0A3AM-A- ... W3CGUEWHNG
fogalog

Post by fogalog »

1. As others have said, if you don't want to purchase from Apple for any reason, try Anker. Excellent products and service.
2. Wirecutter if you want to research more.

Good luck!
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

I have learned the hard way to just buck up and buy the new Apple charger cord and wall adapter from Apple itself.

Every generic eventually stops working. Some sooner than later. They also charge slower.

Do I like it? No. $19 for the cable and $19+ for the USB-C wall adapter. Argh.
ZinCO

Post by ZinCO »

I carry only Anker chargers in my travel bag for both USB-A and USB-C. Their newer GaN-based chargers are much better than the original Apple ones in my opinion, and much smaller (look for the models with folding plugs also).

Used extensively with both 110v and 220v (with the proper plug adapters of course).
Doctor Rhythm

Post by Doctor Rhythm »

I agree that Anker has a strong reputation in the non-OEM charger/cable world. Their prices have gone up accordingly.

Personally, I’m not averse to buying from a random alphabet-soup named brand to save a few bucks.
Last edited by Doctor Rhythm on Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
calmaniac

Post by calmaniac »

Anker peripherals are Apple MFi certified. Would not use anything that was not.

See https://community.anker.com/t/what-is-a ... tion/56996
≈64yo. AA 75/25: 30% TSM, 19% value (VFVA/AVUV), 18% Int'l LC, 8% emerging, 25% GFund/VBTLX. Fed pensions now ≈60% of expenses. Taking SS @age 70--> pension+SS ≈100% of expenses. What me worry?
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

I use Anker. Then when I travel I take it with me. Less connections for USB C is a bit frustrating.
async

Post by async »

If you're not getting Anker, then original Apple 20W adapter and cable happen to be on sale at Woot today:

https://electronics.woot.com/offers/app ... m-bundle-7
cjking

Post by cjking »

Doctor Rhythm wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:39 pm Personally, I’m not averse to buying from a random alphabet-soup named brand to save a few bucks.
I have bought a generic charger off (but not from) Amazon, for my Android phone, that (a) didn't work and (b) got so hot I was seriously concerned the case would melt and it would catch fire. At the time there were news stories of no-name chargers catching fire.

I would now only buy a charger from someone with something to lose if it burnt my home down. On Amazon I'd automatically rule out third-party sellers, unless they had their own brand to protect. As it happened, after I got a refund on the no-name, I found I could buy a charger in my local supermarket for less than I could on Amazon.

Post by 8301 »

climber2020 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:02 pm Generic chargers run the risk of damaging your device. This is one area where it may be worth paying extra for the name brand product.

I have an iPhone 14 Pro and charge it with the tiny 5 watt charger that came with my iPhone 5S back in 2013. The charger has never had any issues so I keep using it.
The charging controller circuit should be built in as a part of a PCM on a phone rather on the charger. The problem with a generic charger is usually under-capacity and reliability, not over-charging.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

bloom2708 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:03 pm I have learned the hard way to just buck up and buy the new Apple charger cord and wall adapter from Apple itself.

Every generic eventually stops working. Some sooner than later. They also charge slower.

Do I like it? No. $19 for the cable and $19+ for the USB-C wall adapter. Argh.
Not clear if you're counting Anker as a "generic," but their chargers are definitely reliable and generally both smaller (esp. the GaN ones), charge a lot faster (e.g., the Nano ones that go up to 65W in a charger about the same size as Apple's 20W), and/or have more features (e.g., multiple ports).

As for cables, Apple's are perfect only if handled with care. Braided cables from other manufacturers like Anker hold up much better to normal use.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Another vote for Anker
idc

Post by idc »

Consider a magsafe generic wireless charger.

One of the reliability problems you will inevitably face with wired charging is damage to the physical connector. Nothing to do with the electronics, the frequent plugging and unplugging might eventually mechanically wear out the connector. Wireless charging is not only inexpensive, but also very convenient. Most everybody uses the same electronics, just buy one on Amazon that has good reviews and is <$20.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

cjking wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:24 pm
Doctor Rhythm wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:39 pm Personally, I’m not averse to buying from a random alphabet-soup named brand to save a few bucks.
I have bought a generic charger off (but not from) Amazon, for my Android phone, that (a) didn't work and (b) got so hot I was seriously concerned the case would melt and it would catch fire. At the time there were news stories of no-name chargers catching fire.

I would now only buy a charger from someone with something to lose if it burnt my home down. On Amazon I'd automatically rule out third-party sellers, unless they had their own brand to protect. As it happened, after I got a refund on the no-name, I found I could buy a charger in my local supermarket for less than I could on Amazon
I have a hard time believing a cheap grocery store charger is going to be more robust and have a more trustworthy manufacturer than one of the well known brands on Amazon...
Topic Author
teelainen

Post by teelainen »

teamDE wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:08 pm Agreed, Anker is the way.
For an iPhone 13, should we use Anker PD or Anker PIQ 3.0 ?

Why? What is the difference?
cbox

Post by cbox »

Anker is the consensus pick, so I suspected I'd see that mentioned a lot, and I did. But I have iPhone charges from Anker and a plethora of other, no-name companies, and they all work splendidly. Not a whit of quality difference between them and Anker. There *is* a price difference, though, as Anker is clearly banking on its consensus reputation.
cbox

Post by cbox »

Doctor Rhythm wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:39 pm I agree that Anker has a strong reputation in the non-OEM charger/cable world. Their prices have gone up accordingly.

Personally, I’m not averse to buying from a random alphabet-soup named brand to save a few bucks.
Agree.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

teelainen wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:44 am

For an iPhone 13 you really don't need a very high powered charger. A 20-30w cube will be fine (PIQ 3 is the "lesser" standard of the two).

USB PD is more relevant for a laptop or large USB-C tablet
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

idc wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:28 pm Consider a magsafe generic wireless charger.

One of the reliability problems you will inevitably face with wired charging is damage to the physical connector. Nothing to do with the electronics, the frequent plugging and unplugging might eventually mechanically wear out the connector. Wireless charging is not only inexpensive, but also very convenient. Most everybody uses the same electronics, just buy one on Amazon that has good reviews and is <$20.
This used to be an issue in the Mini USB days, since those connectors were never designed for charging and only rated for something like 400 insertion cycles, and the wear components were inside the port.

But--much as I hate proprietary connectors--the blade-style lightning connector that Apple uses on the iPhone is incredibly robust. It will withstand tens of thousands of insertion cycles.

Not saying one shouldn't choose a magnetic charging adapter for convenience reasons. But there's no reason to use one out of a durability concern.
sureshoe

Post by sureshoe »

idc wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:28 pm Consider a magsafe generic wireless charger.

Got one for Christmas as well as a phone holder for car. Really like it.

And as noted here, the plugging/unplugging is what damages cables. There is always just a tiny little electric hop that damages the connectors over time. Better cables last longer, but physics eventually kicks in. I like the wireless so far.
sureshoe

Post by sureshoe »

If you're looking to save money though, Anker isn't cheaper :)

I buy the junk for my wife and kids. I have an Anker for me.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

sureshoe wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:54 am

And as noted here, the plugging/unplugging is what damages cables. There is always just a tiny little electric hop that damages the connectors over time. Better cables last longer, but physics eventually kicks in. I like the wireless so far.
I've never had an iPhone charging connector fail. I don't charge my iPhone wirelessly because it's quite a bit slower and produces more heat - the latter will definitely cause the battery to wear more quickly.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

dukeblue219 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:38 am

For an iPhone 13 you really don't need a very high powered charger. A 20-30w cube will be fine (PIQ 3 is the "lesser" standard of the two).

Power IQ 3 is not "the lesser standard of the two," it isn't even an standard but rather Anker's marketing term for their compatibility with a range of standards, incl. USB-C PD, Qualcomm Quick Charge, and others. But yes, a 20-30W USB-C PD charger is what you need for the iPhone 13.
BrownEyedGirl_27

Post by BrownEyedGirl_27 »

:?:
Agreed, it’s a fast charger that does the job. If you live near an Apple Store you can likely get store pickup today. Not worth ruining your new phone with an off-brand charger.
"Your mind has a mind of its own. At the very moment when you are most convinced of your own rationality, you may be feeling rather than thinking your way toward a decision.” | Jason Zweig
onourway

Post by onourway »

02nz wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:00 am I've never had an iPhone charging connector fail. I don't charge my iPhone wirelessly because it's quite a bit slower and produces more heat - the latter will definitely cause the battery to wear more quickly.
FWIW, my iPhone 11 Pro has been on a wireless charger 8-20 hours a day for over 3 years and my battery health is at 94%
02nz

Post by 02nz »

onourway wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:33 am
02nz wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:00 am I've never had an iPhone charging connector fail. I don't charge my iPhone wirelessly because it's quite a bit slower and produces more heat - the latter will definitely cause the battery to wear more quickly.
FWIW, my iPhone 11 Pro has been on a wireless charger 8-20 hours a day for over 3 years and my battery health is at 94%
Great, but I still find wireless less convenient. I find that battery life on the latest generations (13/14) is quite long, and wired charging is fast. That means most days I'm fine just plugging in for 30 minutes or so in the morning while I have breakfast - that's more than enough to get me through the day and is more convenient than leaving it on the charger for an hour (which makes it hard to use the phone).
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

02nz wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:05 am
dukeblue219 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:38 am

Power IQ 3 is not "the lesser standard of the two," it isn't even an standard but rather Anker's marketing term for their compatibility with a range of standards, incl. USB-C PD, Qualcomm Quick Charge, and others. But yes, a 20-30W USB-C PD charger is what you need for the iPhone 13.
You're absolutely right. I did not realize PIQ3 included USB-PD as a supported standard. I may have been conflating it a bit with the QC 3.0.
onourway

Post by onourway »

02nz wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:46 am
Great, but I still find wireless less convenient. I find that battery life on the latest generations (13/14) is quite long, and wired charging is fast. That means most days I'm fine just plugging in for 30 minutes or so in the morning while I have breakfast - that's more than enough to get me through the day and is more convenient than leaving it on the charger for an hour (which makes it hard to use the phone).
It depends on your use case. For me, the place the phone sits - whether at my desk, in the car, or at home, is on a wireless charger. Charging time is immaterial because it is always charged. I never have to think about it.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

onourway wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:49 am
02nz wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:46 am
It depends on your use case. For me, the place the phone sits - whether at my desk, in the car, or at home, is on a wireless charger. Charging time is immaterial because it is always charged. I never have to think about it.
Sure, everyone is different. I for one don't want to buy 3 different wireless charging pads (and the power adapters, which often don't come with the pads).
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I do not want a little wall charger that only does one kind of device. I want something that charges all my lithium ion devices: phones, headlamps, GPS, bike lights, watches, fans, powers, bricks, whatever. I also want it lightweight. Modern chargers like the little Anker 511 (aka Powerport Nano III) have the chipsets to do very safe charging with a number of protocols. They are generally limited to about 20W output which is perfect for small devices, but not for something like a laptop. The devices I listed limit the input charging power with their own internal chipsets to between about 2 to 20 W. One only needs to buy one cable: USB-C to USB-C and then use small adapters that have been vetted to work to go from USB-C to microUSB, lightning, watches. I prefer this mostly because I go backpacking with these devices and do not want to lug around heavy things that add no value or charging-time reduction.

I realize the above is probably TMI for someone who wants to charge one single iPhone 13 and will buy multiple unnecessary chargers and cables for other devices.
cbox

Post by cbox »

I read today that the EU will require Apple to use the USB-C standard instead of Lightning beginning in 2024, which will likely mean that next year's (this year's...September) phones will have USB-C.

That's gonna mean a lot of Lightning cables being thrown away, right?
02nz

Post by 02nz »

cbox wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:37 am I read today that the EU will require Apple to use the USB-C standard instead of Lightning beginning in 2024, which will likely mean that next year's (this year's...September) phones will have USB-C.

That's gonna mean a lot of Lightning cables being thrown away, right?
They don't last forever anyway, and even if I switch right away to a USB-C iPhone, I'll still use the Lightning cable for my AirPods.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

How does anyone not have a drawer full of cables and chargers by now?
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

I generally feel that the Anker brand in terms of reliability and support. They are not the cheapest, but are generally cheaper than Apple. I have several of their chargers. None of failed so far. Two of the Ravpower I purchased over the years have failed.

Try to get something with UL or CSA certification to avoid getting things that are too cheaply built. Whatever you get make sure it has a USB-C port and power delivery support (PD)
idc

Post by idc »

02nz wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:00 am

I've never had an iPhone charging connector fail. I don't charge my iPhone wirelessly because it's quite a bit slower and produces more heat - the latter will definitely cause the battery to wear more quickly.
Faster charging will produce a lot more heat in the battery than wireless charging :)

I use MagSafe in my cars as I use Waze for traffic wherever I go. Not only super convenient when getting in/out of the car, I rarely, if ever plug for charging. I also own an iPad and MacBook. All I need is a USB-C to lightning cable, no separate charger for iPhone. Super convenient for travel.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

idc wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:17 am
02nz wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:00 am

Faster charging will produce a lot more heat in the battery than wireless charging :)
Not true at least for the iPhone, which doesn't offer the crazy fast wired charging speeds of some Android phones. Wireless charging is much less efficient and therefore produces quite a bit of excess heat. Even the slow 7.5W Anker Qi chargers I've tried with my iPhone produced significantly more heat than 20W wired charging.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

quantAndHold wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:42 am How does anyone not have a drawer full of cables and chargers by now?
I do have such a box, but my old chargers vary in the power they can deliver from 0.5 W, 1 W, 2W, 5W, 10W. While the 0.5 W one will charge my phone in about 12 hours, I'd rather charge my phone in about 60 minutes with a 20W charger.

Two comments about cables:
(1) Longer and thinner cables have more resistance than shorter cables with heavier (thicker) gauge copper wire. This is not much of a problem with a 0.5W charger, but with a 20W or higher charger the resistance in the cable will create heat in the cable and the plugs on each end up the cable. I have used a USB load tester to measure that some of my old cables convert 20% of the power to heat. That means with a poor cable instead of charging in 1 hour it would take 1.25 hours to charge with a better cable.

(2) Back in the old days many cables only provided 2 conductors even if the plugs had 4 or more conductors. These cables cannot transfer data nor do the handshaking required with the modern chipsets. They could work to charge many devices still, but only in the lowest minimal power non-handshaking mode.

I've tested all my cables and chargers with a USB multimeter and a USB load tester. There are big differences between the old things and the new things.