Which inexpensive laser printer?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Which inexpensive laser printer?

Post by ThankYouJack »

I'm looking to get a wireless laser printer for occasional printing and looking to spend $100-$150. I'm leaning towards a basic Brother one. There's a lot of model numbers but I haven't dug deep to find all the differences. Any things to look for or recommendations in general?
JoMoney

Re: Which inexpensive laser printer?

Post by JoMoney »

I don't print much, but I do scan documents with great frequency, and having a scanner with auto-document feeder (that is part of my printer) is great.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
notinuse

Post by notinuse »

My sister just bought a Brother HL-L2395DW monochrome laser all-in-one printer/copier/scanner for $175 about two months ago. She is happy with it so far, but I see the price is up to $220 on Amazon, so it may be outside your budget.

She has only done a small amount of printing and photocopying so far. Replacement toner cartridges are readily available from Amazon and Walmart.

Printing can be done via wifi, wired ethernet, USB, or NFC (near field communication typically used by smartphones). She hasn't tried NFC printing with it.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Yes, make sure to look at toner replacement cost before you purchase.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

I bought the basic brother black and white laser printer 12 years ago. It’s wireless. It just sits on my counter, and whenever I need to print, it prints. I never have to mess with it.

The toner cartridge seems to last forever. Each one lasts several years for us, but we only print occasionally.

Works great printing from our iPhones and iPads.

It’s really just been completely outstanding for us. In hindsight, it was a great purchase.
Bogle7

Brother

Post by Bogle7 »

Selecting a Brother printer is easy.
W in the name means wireless
D means duplex
C means color

I would increase you budget and get color.
You are going to amortize the cost of 5+ years. We have the older model HL-3170CDW. Age 7 years.
Last edited by Bogle7 on Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

I really like the Brother DCP-L2550DW laser multifunction I bought last year - printing and scanning work well, it has wifi, automatic document feeder and duplex printing. $200 everywhere.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

heh; I have a color printer that hasn't been used in 4-5 years. Even the B/W one gets low use.

My color printer is an inkjet and destined for the recycle center in April. If I even need a color print I'll run by Staples and get it there.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Re: Brother

Post by ThankYouJack »

Bogle7 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:13 am Selecting a Brother printer is easy.
D means duplex
C means color

What about the numbers and other letters like "HL-L2325"? I assume the second L is for Laser.

Also, what would you recommend for color?

I have a color all-in-one InkJet that I'll probably keep for scanning and color printing. But I only do that a handful of times a year so didn't want to spend double/triple(?) the cost just for the color option
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

We picked up a $1200 Brother Color commercial laser printer from Craigslist for $150. Prints flawlessly.
02nz

Re: Brother

Post by 02nz »

ThankYouJack wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:28 am
Bogle7 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:13 am Selecting a Brother printer is easy.
D means duplex
C means color

What about the numbers and other letters like "HL-L2325"? I assume the second L is for Laser.

Also, what would you recommend for color?

I have a color all-in-one InkJet that I'll probably keep for scanning and color printing. But I only do that a handful of times a year so didn't want to spend double/triple(?) the cost just for the color option
For occasional color use, I'd just go to Staples. Color lasers add a lot of cost and are also bulkier, and getting an inkjet means you'll use a lot of ink in cleaning cycles.
hudson

Post by hudson »

ThankYouJack wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:40 am I'm looking to get a wireless laser printer for occasional printing and looking to spend $100-$150. I'm leaning towards a basic Brother one. There's a lot of model numbers but I haven't dug deep to find all the differences. Any things to look for or recommendations in general?
walmart: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Brother-HL-L ... lsrc=aw.ds

amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Brother-HL-L2300 ... 32262&th=1

Either would work for me...but not my wife. She's gotta have color. I've had a brother wireless/all in one-color for 7 years. I use non-brother toner cartridges from amazon https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Clearprint+Technologies. When that goes, I'll likely buy a basic brother color with no scanner. I now have scansnap scanner that is more convenient and does more as far as scanning goes.
Last edited by hudson on Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:32 am, edited 5 times in total.
sc9182

Post by sc9182 »

snackdog wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:32 am We picked up a $1200 Brother Color commercial laser printer from Craigslist for $150. Prints flawlessly.
Hey - do you have to setup an Active-Directory account/domain for printing to it, and a security expert to open/configure ports/firewall !? ( I just may know someone good :-)

Wonder what the wattage/amperage needs of this commercial monster !? might trip up fuses in that office-room. May need an electrician to upsize circuits/breaker :-)

We use residential Brother wifi duplex BW multi-function laser picked on either sale (or Amazon warehouse/refurb model) about $170 - about 5 years ago, works like charm - including printing from smart-phones. It’s now got toner replaced with cheaper (quality) after-market one ..
HRG

Post by HRG »

My next printer will be the Epson Ecotank, but not sure on which model. Will probably review Consumer Reports when that time comes. Was very happy with a Brother, but couldn't find a suitable model I wanted for a replacement. My model stopped printing legibly and new cartridges plus cleaning didn't help. Ended up buying an HP Envy from Costco, which prints fine, but you have to remember to print something every 7-14 days, otherwise the print cartridge dries up. Also, HP advised me to do this when I ran into the printing problem. If you're not going to be using a printer for several months, I don't know of a way to preserve the cartridge from drying up.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

HRG wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:51 am My next printer will be the Epson Ecotank, but not sure on which model. Will probably review Consumer Reports when that time comes. Was very happy with a Brother, but couldn't find a suitable model I wanted for a replacement. My model stopped printing legibly and new cartridges plus cleaning didn't help. Ended up buying an HP Envy from Costco, which prints fine, but you have to remember to print something every 7-14 days, otherwise the print cartridge dries up. Also, HP advised me to do this when I ran into the printing problem. If you're not going to be using a printer for several months, I don't know of a way to preserve the cartridge from drying up.
For our TaxAide sites, I have the site leaders pull the toner and put it in a zip-loc bag; that seems to work well. Our printers generally go dormant from May-January; I've never had to replace a toner except when it is empty. We use Brother exclusively now but this procedure worked for HP printers as well.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
HRG

Post by HRG »

jebmke wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:55 am
HRG wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:51 am My next printer will be the Epson Ecotank, but not sure on which model. Will probably review Consumer Reports when that time comes. Was very happy with a Brother, but couldn't find a suitable model I wanted for a replacement. My model stopped printing legibly and new cartridges plus cleaning didn't help. Ended up buying an HP Envy from Costco, which prints fine, but you have to remember to print something every 7-14 days, otherwise the print cartridge dries up. Also, HP advised me to do this when I ran into the printing problem. If you're not going to be using a printer for several months, I don't know of a way to preserve the cartridge from drying up.
For our TaxAide sites, I have the site leaders pull the toner and put it in a zip-loc bag; that seems to work well. Our printers generally go dormant from May-January; I've never had to replace a toner except when it is empty. We use Brother exclusively now but this procedure worked for HP printers as well.
This is good to know. Thanks!
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

Cheapest one: wireless, airprint (remote/web), and duplex (multisided) printing is useful. Most everything else is fluff.
bwalling

Post by bwalling »

ThankYouJack wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:40 am I'm looking to get a wireless laser printer for occasional printing and looking to spend $100-$150. I'm leaning towards a basic Brother one. There's a lot of model numbers but I haven't dug deep to find all the differences. Any things to look for or recommendations in general?
One thing that happens a lot with products like these is that they vary the model number slightly for each retailer to prevent price matching during sales. They do this with TVs and other things as well.
bdesilusa

Post by bdesilusa »

+1 for brother's printer. I got L2750DWB 3+ years ago, no issues at all. Auto feeder for copy, scan makes it even more useful.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

I am a big fan of Brother printers, too. Not that I can make any claims based on personal experience that they are better than similar models from Canon or Epson or HP, but the two printers I have had over the course of the last 15 years have been reliable and robust.

I recently replaced my trusty MFC-7440N with a similar model, MFC-L2750DW. The only reason I had to buy a new printer was that the MFC-7440N was so old that there were no drivers available when I bought my new MacBook Pro M1 recently. I will find a new home for the 7440N.

Like others I find that I use scanning more than printing. And when I print, 99% of the time black/white is sufficient, so I didn’t upgrade to a color printer at much higher capital and operating expense. There are several places nearby where I can print a color page if the need arises (incl. my local library). I did that once in 2022.
GeMoney

Post by GeMoney »

I bought a refurbished Brother DCPL2550DW 2 years ago for $129 which I recommend. Purchased it directly from Brother and it was like new. It fits my needs for low usage (got tired of inkjet cartridges/heads drying out). The only thing I don't like about it is the on/off button which is a soft push in type that I sometimes have to really push in with extra effort. Inexpensive third-party toner cartridges are available. Brother is currently selling it refurbished for $160 https://www.brother-usa.com/products/rdcpl2550dw
Polar_Ice

Post by Polar_Ice »

Another vote for Brothers, I had a few Canon printers before and cartridges were expensive and would dry up when not using it.

I have had this Brother one 6-7 years now and the cartridges are reasonable and can find aftermarket ones that work well too. I don't print much, sometimes on a few times a year and never have issues with cartridges as I forgot the last time I changed it. If you only need B&W, then look at this or maybe a new model.

Brother HL-L2300D Monochrome Laser Printer with Duplex Printing

Probably go for at-least this one now with wireless connectivity.

Brother HLL2305W Compact Mono Laser Single Function Printer with Wireless and Mobile Device Printing
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

OK, it's a color printer, but my Brother HL-3170CDW has been consistent and reliable for so long I can't tell you the exact number of years. Nice, reliable paper feed and the duplex printing actually works. I do most of my printing duplex to save paper.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

Yet another vote for Brother, I have a HL-L2360DW it has worked flawlessly for many many years. I use a small canon inkjet for color photo printing and scanning when needed.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

If monochrome is sufficient for your needs, look at the Brother RHL-L2305W wireless monochrome laser. Refurbished direct from Brother, same one (1) year warranty as brand new, starter cartridge yields about seven hundred (700) pages.

$90.24 after coupon code SAVECART, ships free.

https://www.brother-usa.com/products/rhll2305w
telemark

Post by telemark »

jebmke wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:21 am My color printer is an inkjet and destined for the recycle center in April.
That's what happened to all of my ink jet printers, but they were hand-me-downs from my parents anyway.

Now that I look, I see that my HL-2270DW is wireless (it says so, right on the top), but I've always found it simpler just to use ethernet. Not all models support that, if it matters to the O.P.
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

telemark wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:25 pmNow that I look, I see that my HL-2270DW is wireless (it says so, right on the top), but I've always found it simpler just to use ethernet.
If you want to print from your iPhone or iPad, then you need wireless.
sunsetting101

Post by sunsetting101 »

This got me looking for a wireless printer. I have an old Canon ImageCLASS and happy with that brand. I don't know how the current/new ones are but on their website, there's an $80 deal on a LBP6030w.

https://www.usa.canon.com/shop/printers ... nology=638
JPH

Post by JPH »

After reading the above, I went out an bought a Brother MFC-L2690DW. $170 at WalMart. Easy to setup; although I only use a USB connection. Working great so far.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt
beyou

Post by beyou »

sunsetting101 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:34 pm This got me looking for a wireless printer. I have an old Canon ImageCLASS and happy with that brand. I don't know how the current/new ones are but on their website, there's an $80 deal on a LBP6030w.

https://www.usa.canon.com/shop/printers ... nology=638
I had Canon ImageClass too. Overall it lasted a long time and had great features. But printing mechanism broke once, had to lug this heavy beast in, and wait 1-2 weeks for repair. Years later it was suddenly unreachable on my network. I am a retired IT guy, tried everything but decided was time to replace it. After quick search went to Xerox wireless multifunction. Works nice and wasn’t too expensive.
telemark

Post by telemark »

Bogle7 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:15 pm
telemark wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:25 pmNow that I look, I see that my HL-2270DW is wireless (it says so, right on the top), but I've always found it simpler just to use ethernet.
Not necessarily. Your iPad doesn't connect to your printer, it connects to your wireless router; how the data gets from there to the printer is another story. But you do need a printer that supports Apple's newer AirPrint protocol, as my 2270DW does not, so that's something else to check for. (Anything you can buy now is probably fine).

And having a wireless printer is convenient if you want to put it somewhere not easily reachable with a cable.

Edit to add: sorry, I went to make a small edit and mangled things. It should be fixed now.
Last edited by telemark on Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

telemark wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:50 pm
Bogle7 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:15 pm Not necessarily. Your iPad doesn't connect to your printer, it connects to your wireless router; how the data gets
from there to the printer is another story. But you do need a printer that supports Apple's newer AirPrint
protocol, as my 2270DW does not, so that's something else to check for.
Not necessarily. Your iPad doesn't connect to your printer, it connects to your wireless router; how the data gets from there to the printer is another story. But you do need a printer that supports Apple's newer AirPrint protocol, as my 2270DW does not, so that's something else to check for.

And having a wireless printer is convenient if you want to put it somewhere not easily reachable with a cable.
Right. I print from my iPad to a Brother 5470dw all the time. It is wired to my router.
helloeveryone

Post by helloeveryone »

We have the brother 2750 B&W and it’s great. Bought at Costco a few years ago.
Currently looks like Costco has this version - https://www.costco.com/brother-mfc-l271 ... 94977.html

It’s been a great printer. (Upgraded from old Color Inkjet). We don’t miss color, or the cost of color ink cartridges.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

telemark wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:50 pm
Bogle7 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:15 pm
Not necessarily. Your iPad doesn't connect to your printer, it connects to your wireless router; how the data gets from there to the printer is another story. But you do need a printer that supports Apple's newer AirPrint protocol, as my 2270DW does not, so that's something else to check for. (Anything you can buy now is probably fine).

Or a Raspberry Pi.

My previous printer (Brother MFC-7440N) had USB and Ethernet support. With the help of a cheap Raspberry Pi you can enable printing from iOS and Android devices. Lots of guides on the web; google “AirPrint raspberry pi” for details.

I already had a Pi on my network for various other services, so it was a neat little project that made my wife very happy.
arsenal_fan

Post by arsenal_fan »

Bought this from BBY 2 years ago for $150. No complaints with printing. I wish I could scan multiple documents in one go by feeding it somewhere. That is an occasional hassle when I have to scan each side.

Brother - HL-L2390DW Wireless Black-and-White All-In-One Laser Printer - Gray

The toner costs $80 to replace if you print a ton but it prints like 2500 pages from what I remember.
Brother - TN760 High-Yield Toner Cartridge - Black
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

I have an older Brother with a USB interface. It's been cheap to operate. I always look up toner costs before I buy a rig.
Bogle7

Toner cost

Post by Bogle7 »

whodidntante wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:59 pm. I always look up toner costs before I buy a rig.
I don’t. We print 500-ish pages a year. It is just not significant.

I prefer to save my money and mental energy for the roof leak that we have, but haven’t found the source.
enad

Post by enad »

I like the Brother multi function laser printers. Am currently using a DCP-L2540DW that still has plenty of life in it and when it's gone there is a DCP-L2550DW brand new in a box. The 2540 is now 7.5 years old and am using it on a daily basis.
What Goes Up Must come down -- David Clayton-Thomas (1968), BST
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

I’d get the cheapest Brother MFC that has three things: BrScript, document feed for scanning, and touch screen. The first maximizes your compatibility. The second one is great for scanning lots of docs. The last one greatly improved ease of use.
freakyfriday

Post by freakyfriday »

The cost of a printer will be dominated by the cost of parts. They typically sell the printer itself at a loss.

Ideally you'd know that you can get third party toner cartridges, drum units etc.

In my case (Brother HL-2135W) I can simply pour new toner into the cartridge to refill it costing next to nothing. The drum unit needs replacing due to spotting and streaking but since I only print for personal use I haven't bothered. You will also learn how to reset the page print count to ensure it keeps working.

These are simply processes and worth learning. The biggest risk is if you spill toner you'll struggle to ever get rid of it!
obgraham

Post by obgraham »

In the early days of personal laser printers, the HP Laserjets were the king of the castle. I paid $2,000 for a laser jet III !
Then HP turned out a lot of rubbish and unreliable machines, thus giving rise to competitors like Brother, etc.
I went through these phases.
Now I'm back with an HP M118, bought for $120, likely the best monochrome printer I have had. My previous Brother, Epson, and Dell, have all gone to the printer graveyard.
Last edited by obgraham on Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hightechburrito

Post by hightechburrito »

I bought a Brother HL-L2340DW off Amazon back in 2014 for just over $150 including tax. We print a fair amount, but not tons, and the toner cartridges have lasted 5, 4, and 2 years (the two years is when I started working from home), and have run between $50-60. Absolutely no complaints other than the occasional issue with wireless printing, but I believe that's due to my home network (multiple access points, automatic firmware downloads to the access points seems to mess things up).

That same printer is now $360, but I think it's just an older model or something. The 2300D is $120, and the 2350DW is $150. The only obvious difference is the 'W' model having wireless printing. Wireless printing is very convenient since you can print directly from your phone in most cases. If you really don't want to spend the extra you may be able to get the same functionality by having the printer plugged into a computer and sharing the printer that way. You would have to keep that computer connected to the printer and keep the computer on though.

I'd recommend spending the extra $30 and getting the wireless printing option. That way you can stick the printer in a closet or anywhere else out of the way and it doesn't need to take up space on your desk.
Raycpact

Post by Raycpact »

I buy printers for my office and personally.

For my office, I look at the price of the printers as merely a down payment on future cartridge's and drums. I calculate the expected per page cost by estimating the life of the printer and the potential cost of cartridges. I say potential because over the years the price will change based on competition and demand.

For home use, I just care about the cost of the printer and its ease of use attaching varies devices.

Also keep in mind that the printers may contain a hard drive with personal identifying information when disposing.
Murr

Post by Murr »

I bought this one in the fall from Sams Club. Works great, only issue is when I turn the power on it takes about 5 mins before it connects to my desktop. Not sure why the delay but that's the only flaw

https://www.samsclub.com/p/brother-mono ... _product_1
Rudedog

Post by Rudedog »

Just bought an HP 4001 laserjet a couple months ago. I had been using a Dell laserjet, but it kept jamming all the time. HP laserjet works OK so far.
mrsoto

Post by mrsoto »

Been using a Brother 2270DW black & white Laser for many years. Extremely dependable. I would never get another brand nor would I go back to an inkjet.