Dipping my toes in EV? Tesla 3/Y Questions!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Lynx310650

Dipping my toes in EV? Tesla 3/Y Questions!

Post by Lynx310650 »

We definitely don't need a new car, we have 2 that work just well and we like. But I am a bit of a gearhead and I've been wanting to try out an EV for the last couple of years. With the limited time 7500 tax credit available on Tesla 3/Y, I am wondering if now is the time to try it out. A couple of questions for those that may own either of these cars or other EVs:

(1) 3 vs Y : I am leaning towards getting the cheapest Model 3 possible. We don't really want to sell our two current (and paid off) cars (Acura MDX and RDX) as they probably have lots of life left and I like V6 engines and those are getting harder to find as time goes on. It IS silly since we could almost get by with just 1 car but contemplating getting a 3rd. But I want to try out an EV, so it seems like the Model 3 is the way to go, right? We do prefer SUVs, but doesn't seem like any reason to add a 3rd with the Y. I also figure if I really love EV driving I could later just sell the Model 3 and RDX and at that point get into a Model Y or E-Tron or whatever. But if anyone can provide a compelling reason I should consider the Y now (safety with the larger car?), I'm open to it. I won't have to sell any car to afford either, so either would be a 3rd vehicle.

(2) Telsa vs the rest : I feel like a Tesla (esp a Model 3) is the no-brainer pick for someone like me who wants their first EV. The recent price drop + fed tax credit makes it quite affordable, and the Supercharger network seems much more extensive than others. Also tons more of them out there than any other EV (I have relatives that own Teslas) so seems easier to get advanced word on any issues, parts, etc... But if anyone disagrees and things there are others I should look at, let me know. I"m particularly interested in Audi and Hyundai's offerings, but I think those don't qualify for the fed tax credit?

(3) Living with an EV in an apartment : We are apartment dwellers. Concerned about charging. That being said there are quite a bit of EVs (mostly Teslas) in our complex. Our common garage has a bunch of wall outlets and I see owners plug their cars in there overnight, though there aren't any dedicated Tesla wall chargers and we are not allowed to install them. Caveat is LL hasn't stopped anyone from charging their cars, but I guess they could in the future? As of now it's "free" charging, albeit slow. But we don't drive everyday of the week, so I could feasibly leave the car plugged in for 24+ hours, although not sure if that's good for the battery. I also live within a mile of Superchargers and also an Electrify America station. But still, any difficulties owning EV in an apartment?
j9j

Re: Dipping my toes in EV? Tesla 3/Y Questions!

Post by j9j »

Since you already have two suvs, I like your plan on the cheapest 3. I believe is 9k less than the model y. If you like driving, it’s pretty quick sporty car.
harikaried

Post by harikaried »

Lynx310650 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:17 pmI am leaning towards getting the cheapest Model 3 possible… We do prefer SUVs
If after buying you find yourself wanting to drive the 3 over the MDX/RDX, would you be okay with driving the sedan daily and potentially selling a gas car sooner to avoid unnecessary ongoing costs like maintenance, insurance, registration, etc.

A couple key differences of the cheapest Model 3 is that it's rated for 272 miles range and only has the rear motor but can still do 0-60 in 5.8s. All of Tesla's other current offerings have at least 2 motors with 300+ mile range and use different battery chemistry, so I believe this is the most efficient vehicle according to the EPA with 132 combined city/highway MPGe.

So depending on your expected usage of the EV, it might be sufficient to plug in to a regular wall outlet like others in your complex. Because this model is so energy efficient, it gets about 6 miles of range for each hour charged, so if you drive less than 60 miles each day, a 10-hour overnight recharge would cover that usage. Teslas have a recommended daily max charge setting, so you can leave it plugged in, and it'll know to stop charging by itself. (And I think this particular vehicle has LFP batteries that are good to charge up to 100% daily.)
Topic Author
Lynx310650

Post by Lynx310650 »

harikaried wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:47 pm
Lynx310650 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:17 pmI am leaning towards getting the cheapest Model 3 possible… We do prefer SUVs
If after buying you find yourself wanting to drive the 3 over the MDX/RDX, would you be okay with driving the sedan daily and potentially selling a gas car sooner to avoid unnecessary ongoing costs like maintenance, insurance, registration, etc.

A couple key differences of the cheapest Model 3 is that it's rated for 272 miles range and only has the rear motor but can still do 0-60 in 5.8s. All of Tesla's other current offerings have at least 2 motors with 300+ mile range and use different battery chemistry, so I believe this is the most efficient vehicle according to the EPA with 132 combined city/highway MPGe.

So depending on your expected usage of the EV, it might be sufficient to plug in to a regular wall outlet like others in your complex. Because this model is so energy efficient, it gets about 6 miles of range for each hour charged, so if you drive less than 60 miles each day, a 10-hour overnight recharge would cover that usage. Teslas have a recommended daily max charge setting, so you can leave it plugged in, and it'll know to stop charging by itself. (And I think this particular vehicle has LFP batteries that are good to charge up to 100% daily.)
I probably will keep the 2 SUVs even if I do like driving the 3. If I find I am really enjoying the EV experience then I may end up selling the 3 and the RDX for a Model Y or some other EV SUV.
SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor »

Lynx310650 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:17 pm (2) Telsa vs the rest : I feel like a Tesla (esp a Model 3) is the no-brainer pick for someone like me who wants their first EV. The recent price drop + fed tax credit makes it quite affordable, and the Supercharger network seems much more extensive than others. Also tons more of them out there than any other EV (I have relatives that own Teslas) so seems easier to get advanced word on any issues, parts, etc... But if anyone disagrees and things there are others I should look at, let me know. I"m particularly interested in Audi and Hyundai's offerings, but I think those don't qualify for the fed tax credit?
See this for the cars that qualify

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/ ... 3-or-after

There is one Audi that qualifies. No Hyundai/Kia yet.

Personally, I'm thinking of a Mustang Mach-E or the Chevy Bolt EUV. Both are SUVs, but the Bolt EV model is a regular EV.
Topic Author
Lynx310650

Post by Lynx310650 »

SlowMovingInvestor wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:56 pm
Lynx310650 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:17 pm (2) Telsa vs the rest : I feel like a Tesla (esp a Model 3) is the no-brainer pick for someone like me who wants their first EV. The recent price drop + fed tax credit makes it quite affordable, and the Supercharger network seems much more extensive than others. Also tons more of them out there than any other EV (I have relatives that own Teslas) so seems easier to get advanced word on any issues, parts, etc... But if anyone disagrees and things there are others I should look at, let me know. I"m particularly interested in Audi and Hyundai's offerings, but I think those don't qualify for the fed tax credit?
See this for the cars that qualify

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/ ... 3-or-after

There is one Audi that qualifies. No Hyundai/Kia yet.

Personally, I'm thinking of a Mustang Mach-E or the Chevy Bolt EUV. Both are SUVs, but the Bolt EV model is a regular EV.
Thanks, this is helpful. Should not have shown my wife this, now she wants the BMW 330e. Seems like after tax credit it will be slightly more expensive than a Model 3. It's a PHEV though, and I wanted to go full EV.
cmr79

Post by cmr79 »

OP, have you driven the Model 3 and/or Y? My wife and I both thought we would like Tesla vehicles a lot more than we did once we had actually driven them (inability to adjust strong regen braking, lack of physical buttons for certain features, rear visibility, adjustability of driver seating position, and the need to look at the center panel for speed for example). Most of these things weren't deal breakers by themselves and may not be issues for you; we knew about almost all in advance, but there were a number of other EVs that we ended up preferring.

Access to the supercharger network is, in my opinion, the only thing that would make a Tesla a no-brainer over other EVs for someone who plans to road trip with their EV frequently. If that isn't your plan, you should definitely consider other vehicles.
scodemayor

Post by scodemayor »

cmr79 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:16 pm OP, have you driven the Model 3 and/or Y? My wife and I both thought we would like Tesla vehicles a lot more than we did once we had actually driven them (inability to adjust strong regen braking, lack of physical buttons for certain features, rear visibility, adjustability of driver seating position, and the need to look at the center panel for speed for example). Most of these things weren't deal breakers by themselves and may not be issues for you; we knew about almost all in advance, but there were a number of other EVs that we ended up preferring.

Access to the supercharger network is, in my opinion, the only thing that would make a Tesla a no-brainer over other EVs for someone who plans to road trip with their EV frequently. If that isn't your plan, you should definitely consider other vehicles.
i'm currently dipping my toes into EV research, mind sharing which ones you ended up preferring? my parents have a model 3 and i've had similar complaints to you when i drive theirs
Topic Author
Lynx310650

Post by Lynx310650 »

cmr79 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:16 pm OP, have you driven the Model 3 and/or Y? My wife and I both thought we would like Tesla vehicles a lot more than we did once we had actually driven them (inability to adjust strong regen braking, lack of physical buttons for certain features, rear visibility, adjustability of driver seating position, and the need to look at the center panel for speed for example). Most of these things weren't deal breakers by themselves and may not be issues for you; we knew about almost all in advance, but there were a number of other EVs that we ended up preferring.

No, still need to test drive. But I admit those things may not be deal breakers because it's the "EV" part that I want to try out. So I'm just trying to get into an EV with low acquisition costs and the least thinking involved, at least initially. Hence the Model 3, esp after the recent price drop and tax credits.

My understanding is a Tesla can also be charged at any network (like EA) with an adapter, but other EVs can't charge at Superchargers. So a Tesla also seems like a good way to just try out all kinds of chargers.

A Polestar or Hyundai was also interesting (also due to the lowish costs), but neither qualify for the tax credits unfortunately.
cchrissyy

Post by cchrissyy »

the choice may be obvious when you get in the cars.

my neighbors wanted the Y but ended up with the 3 because they had trouble physically stepping up to the Y's seats.

whereas, when i sat in both cars, i disliked how low the 3 felt, and also it wasn't roomy enough for my tall family members, so i got the Y.

we both really like our cars.
60-20-20 us-intl-bond
Pdxnative

Post by Pdxnative »

I don’t think Tesla is a no-brainer at all. I prefer other EVs for various reasons, not least of which Teslas are very uncomfortable for me.

I’d check out Polestar, VW ID.4, Mach-e, E-tron and a few others before deciding.

Re: supercharger network, I wouldn’t inflate the importance as a differentiator. I see a lot of Teslas at EA stations these days. And keep in mind Tesla is likely to open their network to others very soon (there is financial incentive to do so, including to capture federal infrastructure funding).

Apartment living is less convenient than a garage but you’ll probably be fine. Chances are high that you could charge at work, grocery store, etc. There are more level 2 chargers around than most realize. Check out the PlugShare app to see many of those. And yes, you might use DC fast charging more than most (many of the EVs come with some free EA charging—ID.4 gets 3 years free).
cmr79

Post by cmr79 »

scodemayor wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:19 pm

i'm currently dipping my toes into EV research, mind sharing which ones you ended up preferring? my parents have a model 3 and i've had similar complaints to you when i drive theirs
We were specifically looking for an SUV...we ended up ranking the Model Y last of all of the vehicles we test drove, which were the Bolt EUV, Q4 E-tron, Ioniq 5, and EQB. We ended up ordering an EQB 300 (still awaiting delivery).

I might have gone with the Bolt, honestly, but wife wanted something more luxurious. The Bolt was by far the best value. The EQB's interior was definitely nicer than the Q4 E-tron, which was definitely nicer than the Model Y.
rob

Post by rob »

Lynx310650 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:17 pm...Our common garage has a bunch of wall outlets and I see owners plug their cars in there overnight, though there aren't any dedicated Tesla wall chargers and we are not allowed to install them. Caveat is LL hasn't stopped anyone from charging their cars, but I guess they could in the future? As of now it's "free" charging, albeit slow.....
This would be a deal breaker for me... I have no clue why the LL would want to foot everyone's driving costs, so shocked that it even exists. If that changed tomorrow (as a LL I would never have shared outlets anyway) - what would you do?

You also need to drive one... I've meet few "drivers" that like those cheap tesla's but there are lots of people who do. You could not pay me enough to drive a model-3 all the time... well, you could but bring a big number ;-) I'm not sure how to read your interest with two workable vehicles... If it's the car thing then get a better model. If it's just playing with a new appliance, get a new game console but otherwise swap out one of the existing cars unless you have more than two drivers.

I have not driven one yet so speculation!! --> but would look seriously at Polestar since it's essentially a Volvo who know how to build cars with better quality. Sounds like your not a road worrier, so range & charging networks are WAY overblown as an issue IMO - when did you last drive 250+ miles in a single trip?
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
harikaried

Post by harikaried »

Lynx310650 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:25 pmI'm just trying to get into an EV with low acquisition costs and the least thinking involved
I suppose if there's potential for needing to buy a car/SUV twice, Tesla's online ordering and delivery process was very easy for both our 3 and Y. Some people dread the whole dealership process, so that might be a plus or minus for you.
meanween

Post by meanween »

Lynx310650 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:17 pm (3) Living with an EV in an apartment : We are apartment dwellers. Concerned about charging. That being said there are quite a bit of EVs (mostly Teslas) in our complex. Our common garage has a bunch of wall outlets and I see owners plug their cars in there overnight, though there aren't any dedicated Tesla wall chargers and we are not allowed to install them. Caveat is LL hasn't stopped anyone from charging their cars, but I guess they could in the future? As of now it's "free" charging, albeit slow. But we don't drive everyday of the week, so I could feasibly leave the car plugged in for 24+ hours, although not sure if that's good for the battery. I also live within a mile of Superchargers and also an Electrify America station. But still, any difficulties owning EV in an apartment?
With regard to slow charging, at least with a Tesla it's fine to leave them plugged in. Charging from a standard 110V outlet a base Model 3 will probably get close to 3 miles of range per hour of charge and a dual motor 3 or Y likely 2 miles of range per hour. If left overnight you can easily get say 20-30 miles of range. My only concern would be theft of the charger ( or "mobile connector" in Tesla speak) which costs a few hundred dollars if it had to be repurchased. But it doesn't sound like that's a problem since there are already people doing it.

I had a 2019 Model 3 for a few years and only ended up selling it because resale rates were high and the COVID-19 pandemic moved me to a 100% work from home employee. However if I were to commute again I would definitely buy another one. The base "Auto Pilot" (basically cruise control with lane keeping) was fantastic in traffic and doesn't cost any extra. The torque and responsiveness from an EV is hard to match as well and I found even the base Model 3 fun to drive.
SpaghettiLegs

Post by SpaghettiLegs »

It’s been discussed in other threads but I wouldn’t own an EV if my only home charging option was a 120v outlet. The calculus may change if you’re using backup ICE vehicles but you’ll find on a cold day you’ll blow through an entire night’s charge just driving around the neighborhood and you’ll find yourself not driving the EV just because you want it to charge more.
Afty

Post by Afty »

I think you can get by with just 120v charging unless you’re driving a lot each day. A previous poster in this thread did the math so I won’t repeat it. I would be a bit worried that the landlord will disallow use of those outlets at some point though.

I have a 2019 Model 3 and am very happy with it. I have no issues with the center display, regen rate, etc. Regen in particular is something you very quickly get used to, and then ICE cars feel odd because they don’t slow down when you let off the accelerator. It feels similar to engine braking in a manual transmission ICE car. We will probably replace my wife's Sorento with a Model Y in the next year or two.
Fat Tails

Post by Fat Tails »

We absolutely love our Model 3 AWD Long Range. However, if you are tall you might feel cramped.

Some rental car companies (Hertz?)rent both Model Ys and Model 3s. You might check on this in your local area and drive one for a week if possible.

You can probably get by with 120 vac charging, with a full charge at the nearby supercharger once every couple of weeks or so depending on your daily driving distance.

Cheers
“Doing well with money has little to do with how smart you are and a lot to do with how you behave.” - Morgan Housel
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

Lynx310650 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:17 pm

(3) Living with an EV in an apartment : We are apartment dwellers. Concerned about charging. That being said there are quite a bit of EVs (mostly Teslas) in our complex. Our common garage has a bunch of wall outlets and I see owners plug their cars in there overnight, though there aren't any dedicated Tesla wall chargers and we are not allowed to install them. Caveat is LL hasn't stopped anyone from charging their cars, but I guess they could in the future? As of now it's "free" charging, albeit slow. But we don't drive everyday of the week, so I could feasibly leave the car plugged in for 24+ hours, although not sure if that's good for the battery. I also live within a mile of Superchargers and also an Electrify America station. But still, any difficulties owning EV in an apartment?
AFAIK battery life is not about how fast or slow you charge. It's about cycles (number of charge-discharge cycles) and not overcharging (I think 80% is the optimal? But it might be 90%). So you would simply have to unplug the car once it got to that level. Or it might be possible to stop it charging remotely?

I must admit I don't see your case for an EV. You are not a heavy mileage user of a car? You already have 2 paid off cars?

I think it would be unfortunate to rush to use the tax credit. I would expect that EV prices (net to the consumer) will increase when it ceases to apply. But not by the full $7500, ie manufacturers will cut list prices.

For me the Quality Assurance problems with Tesla would be something of a showstopper. As well as the antics of the CEO (it is forbidden to discuss any further here - I just note that would be a factor for me). I think it is impressive what they have done to try to break the traditional car buying model of "negotiating" with a dealer who makes price "concessions". That's an anachronism, born in the early years of the car industry when car manufacturers didn't have the financial strength.

Due to various supply constraints eg lithium for batteries, and high demand*, it's not clear that EV prices will fall by much, if any, over the next 3 years. However the model ranges continue to increase as major manufacturers make the investment in new models. And performance, particularly range, continues to improve incrementally. There will be more charging stations (also: more demand).

Even in the current environment while Teslas have the cool factor, I would look at VW ID range (I don't think the ID3 is sold in America?), Hyundai and Kia. I don't know about Polestar & some other brands (eg Mercedes, BMW).

* c 25% of European and Chinese sales are EVs or PHEVs.
bagle

Post by bagle »

Lynx310650 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:17 pm
(2) Telsa vs the rest : I feel like a Tesla (esp a Model 3) is the no-brainer pick for someone like me who wants their first EV. The recent price drop + fed tax credit makes it quite affordable, and the Supercharger network seems much more extensive than others. Also tons more of them out there than any other EV (I have relatives that own Teslas) so seems easier to get advanced word on any issues, parts, etc... But if anyone disagrees and things there are others I should look at, let me know. I"m particularly interested in Audi and Hyundai's offerings, but I think those don't qualify for the fed tax credit?
Model 3 owner here. I'm very happy overall, and I think my benchmark is fairly high (previously owned BMW 3 Series and Mercedes).

I think Tesla is still the EV leader, as it´s constantly innovating (especially in software) and exclusively focused on EVs. But the gap has narrowed, so I'd encourage you to test drive both the Tesla and Audi. Some don't like the single screen, centered display, but I adjusted to it quickly. Some don´t like the firm suspension; other brands may be softer if that´s your preference. Audi generally has higher quality interior finishing, while Tesla is more minimalist and less luxurious.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

1a. 3 vs Y, the 3 subjectively looks better and should be more dynamic due to lighter weight and lower center of gravity. Y would have more resale demand, and is obviously more practical due to trunk. It also has more headroom in rear.

1b. Dont get the absolute cheapest (standard range). The AWD long range is best value. AWD better even if you might not need it all the time. Again better resale. And larger battery will have longer longevity due to fewer cycling.

2. Personal opinion, with current prices, there is no competition. The supercharging network and daily interactive usability (due to software) is heads above everything else. At prior prices, I think the Hyundai-Kia, Volvo, and Ford products could be compelling based on different preferences.

3. If its not your only car, 120V wall charging absolutely fine. Yes you can leave it always plugged in. Software prevents car from sitting at maximum state of charge (which is bad for all lithium batteries in all devices).
bwalling

Post by bwalling »

hunoraut wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:07 am3. If its not your only car, 120V wall charging absolutely fine. Yes you can leave it always plugged in. Software prevents car from sitting at maximum state of charge (which is bad for all lithium batteries in all devices).
Strong disagree on this. It's painfully slow, and it winds up offsetting a huge EV benefit - not having to go buy gas (or go to a public charger). If you happen to get the Tesla down to near zero from some combination of trips, you're looking at 100 hours (4 days) to charge it back up vs 4 hours.
hoofaman

Post by hoofaman »

Without your own garage and dedicated charger owning an EV seems like it would be a headache
SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor »

hoofaman wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:45 am Without your own garage and dedicated charger owning an EV seems like it would be a headache
i remember reading that around 70% (could be off on the %ages) of EV returnees/sellers did so because they had no dedicated charger.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

Go rent one for a week and see if you get it out of your system... Or if you can't ever go back to gas.
TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy »

Lynx310650 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:17 pm We definitely don't need a new car, we have 2 that work just well and we like. But I am a bit of a gearhead and I've been wanting to try out an EV for the last couple of years. With the limited time 7500 tax credit available on Tesla 3/Y, I am wondering if now is the time to try it out. A couple of questions for those that may own either of these cars or other EVs:

(1) 3 vs Y : I am leaning towards getting the cheapest Model 3 possible. We don't really want to sell our two current (and paid off) cars (Acura MDX and RDX) as they probably have lots of life left and I like V6 engines and those are getting harder to find as time goes on. It IS silly since we could almost get by with just 1 car but contemplating getting a 3rd. But I want to try out an EV, so it seems like the Model 3 is the way to go, right? We do prefer SUVs, but doesn't seem like any reason to add a 3rd with the Y. I also figure if I really love EV driving I could later just sell the Model 3 and RDX and at that point get into a Model Y or E-Tron or whatever. But if anyone can provide a compelling reason I should consider the Y now (safety with the larger car?), I'm open to it. I won't have to sell any car to afford either, so either would be a 3rd vehicle.

when we tried it model 3 second row legroom was not very good. We really like second row leg room. Added practicality of trunk space (we have a dog) meant model Y worked for us.
At this point tesla is very cheap and I would have a hard time justifying anything else that is similarly equipped/capable.
You can not work on Tesla. You mentioned you are a gearhead, just thought I should let you know :D
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

TheOscarGuy wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:23 am
Lynx310650 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:17 pm We definitely don't need a new car, we have 2 that work just well and we like. But I am a bit of a gearhead and I've been wanting to try out an EV for the last couple of years. With the limited time 7500 tax credit available on Tesla 3/Y, I am wondering if now is the time to try it out. A couple of questions for those that may own either of these cars or other EVs:

when we tried it model 3 second row legroom was not very good. We really like second row leg room. Added practicality of trunk space (we have a dog) meant model Y worked for us.
At this point tesla is very cheap and I would have a hard time justifying anything else that is similarly equipped/capable.
You can not work on Tesla. You mentioned you are a gearhead, just thought I should let you know :D
"You can not work on Tesla. You mentioned you are a gearhead, just thought I should let you know"
Interesting - you cannot do tire rotations, brake jobs or anything similar?
cyclist

Post by cyclist »

I had my heart set on a Model Y until DW and I did our test drives. We disliked the stiff ride of the Y and loved the Model 3 Long Range, which works really well for us.

Hopefully you’ll find additional charging options beyond the current (no pun intended) situation in your building. I’ll wager that as EVs proliferate in your building there will be pressure to add some number of level 2 (240v) chargers, perhaps for a fee.

Supercharging is typically more expensive than other options, but it’s incredibly quick and efficient.

I’d have no worries at all about the vehicle, but I’d look carefully to see if there is a flexible set of charging options that works for the way you live your life.

There’s a good chance that you’ll prefer driving your Tesla, and that you’ll need to remember to drive your ICE car every once in a while.

Cyclist
TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy »

smitcat wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:28 am
TheOscarGuy wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:23 am

"You can not work on Tesla. You mentioned you are a gearhead, just thought I should let you know"
:D sure you can.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

bwalling wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:38 am
hunoraut wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:07 am3. If its not your only car, 120V wall charging absolutely fine. Yes you can leave it always plugged in. Software prevents car from sitting at maximum state of charge (which is bad for all lithium batteries in all devices).
Strong disagree on this. It's painfully slow, and it winds up offsetting a huge EV benefit - not having to go buy gas (or go to a public charger). If you happen to get the Tesla down to near zero from some combination of trips, you're looking at 100 hours (4 days) to charge it back up vs 4 hours.
1. 75kwh/1.9kw (120v*16a) = 40 hours = less than 2 days

2. OP has 2 other full-sized, modern, luxury vehicles that he does not plan to get rid of.
notinuse

Post by notinuse »

Lynx310650, I just read the first paragraph of your post to my wife and she asked me if I wrote it. :happy
I just test drove a Model 3 Performance last Tuesday, and I thought it was a lot of fun to drive. I think it might take a while to get used to the lack of physical controls.
If you have a service center nearby, I'd seriously consider buying one. I'm a two hour drive from the nearest Tesla service center, I know they have mobile service that can deal with some maintenance and repair issues.
Old Guy

Post by Old Guy »

I have a 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E, premium, rear wheel drive, extended range. It looks a lot better than the Tesla and comes without the current political baggage. I am aware that Henry Ford was a notorious antisemite. I charge at home with a dumb Grizzle charger. Tesla does over the air upgrades much better than Ford. An EV is essentially a computer on wheels and Tesla is much more experienced than Ford in this area. Secondly, there is less concern with range anxiety because of the large number of Tesla charging stations available for road trips.

I would not buy the Mach-E again because I find that over 90% of my driving is local. I have been considering the Lexus plug in.
MBB_Boy

Post by MBB_Boy »

SpaghettiLegs wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:25 pm It’s been discussed in other threads but I wouldn’t own an EV if my only home charging option was a 120v outlet. The calculus may change if you’re using backup ICE vehicles but you’ll find on a cold day you’ll blow through an entire night’s charge just driving around the neighborhood and you’ll find yourself not driving the EV just because you want it to charge more.
Yeah, but there are hundreds of miles stored in the battery as reserve. Blowing through a nights charge doesn't matter.
MBB_Boy

Post by MBB_Boy »

hunoraut wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:38 am

2. OP has 2 other full-sized, modern, luxury vehicles that he does not plan to get rid of.
3. Go to supercharger for 15 minutes
bwalling

Post by bwalling »

hunoraut wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:38 am

I plug my Model 3 into a regular outlet, and it adds 3 miles per hour. Just going by real world results. Sure, the math says one thing, but I've never seen that thing happen.

It's also rare for a Supercharger to run as fast as Tesla says it will. And, when it does, it only does so for a little while, then starts to slow down as the batter charges.
knowledge

Post by knowledge »

Having a Tesla as a 3rd car in your situation sounds frivolous. I'm not sure why you want to carry a 3rd car. Note that insurance for Teslas are higher than other similar vehicles. I would sell one of your existing cars, especially if living in an apartment. Do you not have to pay for parking?

If you're dead set on this path, then I would suggest embracing silliness and getting a performance version. I would say that 90% of the fun of an EV is the instant torque. Getting supercar acceleration numbers out of a $60k vehicle is maximizing the silliness.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

cyclist wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:29 am I had my heart set on a Model Y until DW and I did our test drives. We disliked the stiff ride of the Y and loved the Model 3 Long Range, which works really well for us.
I felt the same about the Model Y, but I've read that they have softened the suspension considerably. Apparently we were not the only ones who felt that way. I have not yet test driven the newer version.

Glad you're enjoying your Model 3.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

Old Guy wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:45 am I have a 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E, premium, rear wheel drive, extended range. It looks a lot better than the Tesla and comes without the current political baggage. I am aware that Henry Ford was a notorious antisemite.
Henry Ford is not CEO of Ford, nor has he been since 1947. So I think you are pretty much in the clear there. I am not aware of similar allegations being made against the current executive management of Ford (I would have no idea who they are, without looking them up).

There is a large Mercedes Benz (Daimler) dealership in one of London's most Jewish areas (Golders Green - Temple Fortune). And you will also find plenty of VWs and Audis thereabouts (and Porsche)*. So I think it's fair to say that things can be in the past?

One doesn't have to have a political view, so much as a worry that someone who is so obviously distracted is a very loose cannon indeed.

* My aunt had a boyfriend, Royal Air Force, who had been tortured as a POW of the Japanese. So she drove VWs but not Japanese cars. But her last couple of cars that she drove in her late 70s & her 80s (ie in the first decades of the 21st century) were Japanese. So it is possible to forgive.
mpnret

Post by mpnret »

Why?? Just did tire rotation on my model 3. Very easy. Same procedure as my Subaru. Model 3 is even smart enough to realize where the tires are mounted after rotation for TPMS to function properly. Brake job procedure is similar to other cars I have owned. Although I may never have to do brakes due to regenerative braking. With one pedal driving we rarely have to touch the brake pedal.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

mpnret wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:21 am
Why?? Just did tire rotation on my model 3. Very easy. Same procedure as my Subaru. Model 3 is even smart enough to realize where the tires are mounted after rotation for TPMS to function properly. Brake job procedure is similar to other cars I have owned. Although I may never have to do brakes due to regenerative braking. With one pedal driving we rarely have to touch the brake pedal.
My mechanic estimated at my rate of brake pad wear, I'd probably get at least 200k miles before needing to worry about it. I like one pedal driving. I turned not using the brake pedal into a game.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:51 am I felt the same about the Model Y, but I've read that they have softened the suspension considerably. Apparently we were not the only ones who felt that way. I have not yet test driven the newer version.
Spring rate probably needed to be stiffer to accomodate the +400lb.

Also the Y ride on 19/20/21” vs 3 on 18/19/20” wheels.

Some as-tested combinations could have exaggerated the differences
MarkBarb

Post by MarkBarb »

Adding a third car with all of its depreciation, insurance, and storage costs seems like a huge cost for the benefit of trying out an EV. I'd rent one on Turo for a week instead. If you love it, replace one of your cars with it.
mpnret

Post by mpnret »

You are in a very good position to get a model 3/Y. Biggest problem you are going to have neither one of you is going to want to be stuck driving the ICE car. However it is hard to realize all the advantages and ease of use during a short test drive.
We were in a similar position a few years ago and ended up getting rid of one of our ICE cars for a model 3. The remaining one mostly sits in the garage. We picked the model 3 over the Y because it was a bit sportier, a better ride, and a better price. Model 3 also has decent cargo space when you consider the frunk.I also liked that I could get the 3 with 18" wheels where the Y forced me into larger wheels which also would mean a rougher ride. The 18" wheels come with wheel covers but pop them off and you will find wheels that are arguably nicer than the optional wheels.
You also have an ideal charging situation for the driving habits you mentioned. Every night you pull into your garage and plug into your free 120v outlet and leave in the next morning with a full tank assuming daily use up to 100 miles. If you drive more or go on a trip superchargers are all over the place. It's like someone topping off the tank on your ICE car for free every night and never having to go to the gas station.
My Tesla Model 3 charges at 8 miles/hour on a standard 120v 20a outlet in my garage using the charger that came with the car. That allows me to drive 100 miles per day ( which I rarely do) and leave the house with a full tank every day. Car has 350 mile range which is quite a buffer for my driving habits.
Here is a screen capture of my model 3 charging @8mi/hr on a 120v 20a circuit:
rob

Post by rob »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:26 am I like one pedal driving. I turned not using the brake pedal into a game.
I find that funny... because my recent cars have 3 pedals.... so I seem to be regressing :-)
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

I guess I'm going to be the contrarian here. First, this below is a great idea and I'd highly recommend starting here:
Fat Tails wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:17 pm Some rental car companies (Hertz?)rent both Model Ys and Model 3s. You might check on this in your local area and drive one for a week if possible.

You can probably get by with 120 vac charging, with a full charge at the nearby supercharger once every couple of weeks or so depending on your daily driving distance.
However, if you are adamant about purchasing the cheapest Model 3, then I'd suggest looking at the used market. Model 3s have been around for about 5 years now and you can get much cheaper than new, particularly now that Covid highs have come down and Tesla lowered the new price, putting pressure on the used market. I say this b/c it seems from your replies that if you fall in love with the Tesla, you would sell it and get a Y or another EV SUV. So why spend more on a temporary car?

Personally, given you like SUVs, I would rent first, then just buy the Y if you decide to proceed. Renting is much cheaper (even if from Turo) than buying a RWD Model 3 for a few months. Also, I agree with others than charging would be my biggest pause, but Fat Tails suggestion of 120v and the occasional Supercharger makes sense, particularly given you have two other vehicles.

Btw, if it matters, we have a 2013 Model S, 2018 Model 3, and soon a 2023 Model Y. Previously a Toyota/Lexus family and have loved our vehicles and never want to go back to gas. I blame Hertz on a recent trip in December for the 2023 Model Y, as they had a Y sitting in the "full size" section of the lot and their app happily let me sign it out for my trip. Put 1,200 miles on that thing and came back with the itch.
harikaried

Post by harikaried »

BrandonBogle wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:12 pmI blame Hertz on a recent trip in December for the 2023 Model Y, as they had a Y sitting in the "full size" section of the lot and their app happily let me sign it out for my trip. Put 1,200 miles on that thing and came back with the itch.
If OP wanted to optimize the cost and effort of trying out a Tesla, seems like a trip that would have needed a car rental is a great way to experience most of how it would be like. Main thing missing is most likely the trip is not close to the apartment, so that specific point of getting a free "fill up" every night is probably not as comparable, but at least Hertz rental seems to include the Mobile Connector kit with J1772 adapter. Depending on the type of trip, there might be more miles driven with more focus on Supercharging.
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

harikaried wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:25 pm
BrandonBogle wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:12 pmI blame Hertz on a recent trip in December for the 2023 Model Y, as they had a Y sitting in the "full size" section of the lot and their app happily let me sign it out for my trip. Put 1,200 miles on that thing and came back with the itch.
If OP wanted to optimize the cost and effort of trying out a Tesla, seems like a trip that would have needed a car rental is a great way to experience most of how it would be like. Main thing missing is most likely the trip is not close to the apartment, so that specific point of getting a free "fill up" every night is probably not as comparable, but at least Hertz rental seems to include the Mobile Connector kit with J1772 adapter. Depending on the type of trip, there might be more miles driven with more focus on Supercharging.
True, but I would argue that the Op has a decent amount of first-hand exposure to local charging from his neighbors. Now perhaps everyone keeps to their business, but maybe he or his wife can strike up a convo with one of those owners on how they feel charging has been for them.
GT99

Post by GT99 »

SpaghettiLegs wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:25 pm It’s been discussed in other threads but I wouldn’t own an EV if my only home charging option was a 120v outlet. The calculus may change if you’re using backup ICE vehicles but you’ll find on a cold day you’ll blow through an entire night’s charge just driving around the neighborhood and you’ll find yourself not driving the EV just because you want it to charge more.
As someone who has driven EVs for 9 years with just 120V charging at home, I would strongly disagree with both of you for many use cases. Certainly, there are use cases where it would be problematic. With our Model 3, we almost never charge away from home, and we don't charge every day. Depending on how low the battery is (it charges faster the more drained it is), we typically get ~50-55 miles for 10 hours of charge overnight. We typically drive 200-250 miles per week (~12k miles per year). You're probably at 15k+ before you need an L2 charger at home or charging at work or someplace you else you are regularly.
harikaried

Post by harikaried »

GT99 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:44 pmWith our Model 3, we almost never charge away from home, and we don't charge every day
Just making sure, you've had multiple EVs but only one at a time? We charged our Model 3 on a regular 120V outlet just fine for years and only switched to 240V when we got an outlet installed for "free" and that the car came with the 14-50 adapter anyway. It was beneficial that we got it installed as now also with a Model Y, we can charge the less driven vehicle just once a week. The alternative with just a 120V probably would have still worked with alternating which vehicle gets the overnight charge as we don't usually drive more than 30 miles on each vehicle each day anyway.
cchrissyy

Post by cchrissyy »

I have level 2 charging at home but my everyday driving would be completely fine on the 120v, and i lived like that a few months before having the electrician come out.

the only time i feel particularly happy about my decision to install fast charging is when i am arriving home after a long trip, such as visiting family out of town, and i am happy to know the next morning my battery will be full again.

the difference is something like 1 hour of charging being 30 miles vs 3 miles of range.

either way, i was not plugging in daily.
60-20-20 us-intl-bond