Michael Jackson has died

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Big Al

Michael Jackson has died

Post by Big Al » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:40 pm

King of pop is dead

Tall Grass

Re: Michael Jackson has died

Post by Tall Grass » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:55 pm

Totally inappropriate post deleted...
Last edited by Tall Grass on Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A wise man should have money in his head, but not in his heart." - Jonathan Swift

atomiclightbulb

Post by atomiclightbulb » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm

CNN is citing news of Jackson's death from AP and LA Times, but they haven't confirmed the reports yet.

I'm not willing to call it either way, in light of a famous newspaper that read: "Dewey Defeats Truman".

I have always felt bad for Michael Jackson. He seems to be a man who had everything: great talent, fame, and fortune, and yet had nothing at the same time. I can't recall any time in recent memory when he ever seemed at home or at peace with himself.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:05 pm

It's confirmed. Multiple reports: Michael Jackson dies at 50

Amazing timing. This also confirmed: Farrah Fawcett, sex symbol and actress, dies (I didn't recognize Tall Grass's post in context).

If things happen in threes, then we still have a few hours left in the day...
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

nonroom

Post by nonroom » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:10 pm

If things happen in threes, then we still have a few hours left in the day...

I assumed Ed McMahon passing earlier this week was the 3rd.
You cannot control the actions of others. You can only control your reactions to their actions.

mark500

Post by mark500 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:10 pm

Now he is free of his demons.

atomiclightbulb

Post by atomiclightbulb » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:17 pm

Every news outlet is saying he's dead of a heart attack.

Despite the controversies he was entangled in over the years, he was a great and influential performer. I hope he was able to to make some sort of peace with himself before he died.

Tall Grass

Post by Tall Grass » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:25 pm

atomiclightbulb wrote:Every news outlet is saying he's dead of a heart attack.

Despite the controversies he was entangled in over the years, he was a great and influential performer. I hope he was able to to make some sort of peace with himself before he died.
Ditto, I am glad that One without bias, and who truely knows his heart, will be his final judge...
"A wise man should have money in his head, but not in his heart." - Jonathan Swift

Index Fan

Post by Index Fan » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:43 pm

Michael Jackson was the Howard Hughes of the entertainment world. A talented and complex person. I'm sorry he seemed to have a harder time towards the end of his life with many issues.

In a way he reminds me of Elvis, too.

The price of international fame, fortune and the adulation of millions can be a steep one.
"Optimum est pati quod emendare non possis." | -Seneca

kpanghmc

Post by kpanghmc » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:39 pm

I, for one, will miss him. I think it's a bit ironic how the media tore him apart for the past 15 years, but now seem to have nothing but nice things to say about him. It's a shame that such a talented musician, who obviously had some mental issues stemming from his terrible upbringing, was taken down by a series of tabloid lies and half-truths. A week ago most people probably thought of him as some sort of child-molesting alien. Here's hoping that his death will cause people to re-evaluate that position.
Kevin

Flashes1

Post by Flashes1 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:01 pm

May the devil have his way with MJ like the same way he had his way with his little boy friends.

woof755

Post by woof755 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:22 pm

Flashes1 wrote:May the devil have his way with MJ like the same way he had his way with his little boy friends.
If he's that bad a guy (and he just might be) and the devil is that bad a guy, then shouldn't they be getting along famously right about now?
"By singing in harmony from the same page of the same investing hymnal, the Diehards drown out market noise." | | --Jason Zweig, quoted in The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing

DocHolliday

Post by DocHolliday » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:26 pm

I do not wish anyone death but I will not miss Michael or his music. The media will go for ratings and pay tribute to the child molester. Maybe the media is even worse than Michael.

Tall Grass

Post by Tall Grass » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:28 pm

Flashes1 wrote:May the devil have his way with MJ like the same way he had his way with his little boy friends.
I say again, I am glad that One without bias, and who truely knows his heart, will be his final judge...

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:29 pm

Michael Jackson
incredibly talented, creative, successful.

Michael Jackson
tragic, haunted, denied sincere human contact.

His death is shocking, but in it he once more pushed aside conventions and went on his final moonwalk.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

GG

Post by GG » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:37 pm

Since this board entertained a moronic post about the best athlete of all time with the OP claiming it was a horseshoe player, a modest amount of respect for the greatest music icon of all time is due.

Funny how years change opinion, eh? Take Elvis, take Monroe, etc...

GG

Post by GG » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:40 pm

DocHolliday wrote:I do not wish anyone death but I will not miss Michael or his music. The media will go for ratings and pay tribute to the child molester. Maybe the media is even worse than Michael.
Is your avatar cobain? Are you kidding me?

The honor to Jackson has nothing to do with the controversy of recent yrs and everything to do with the first 4 fuking decades of ground breaking music history. Jackson had more talent in his dime-sized nose than a coward who put a gun to his head had in his whole body.

tj218

Post by tj218 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:06 pm

To be honest, prior to today I forgot that Michael Jackson was alive.

CaptMidnight

Post by CaptMidnight » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:17 pm

Should someone put a stake through his heart, just to be on the safe side?
The history of thought and culture is ... a changing pattern of great liberating ideas that inevitably turn in suffocating straightjackets... | --Isaiah Berlin

Grandma

Post by Grandma » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:32 pm

[quote="tj218"]To be honest, prior to today I forgot that Michael Jackson was alive.[/quote]

Exactly. And, he was a pedophile. The 24/7 news coverge is ridiculous. Certainly more important than what has been occuring in Iran.

simplesimon

Post by simplesimon » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:59 pm

If something changed in Iran, I'm sure you'd hear about it.

mlebuf

Post by mlebuf » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:17 am

Michael Jackson was an incredibly talented performer who seemed very troubled as well. You may remember the old saying, "You can never be too rich or too thin." He sure disproved that one. May he rest in peace and may regular TV programming resume very soon. The news networks are covering his death as if it were a presidential assassination.
Best wishes, | Michael | | Invest your time actively and your money passively.

Grandma

Post by Grandma » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:25 am

Simple: Really? I wish I had your confidence, and I hope you're right. I imagine those in Iran trying to be heard hope so too.

But instead I fear days of causation discussion between heart attack and his drug abuse. Also doctors being sued.

Just tabloid stuff masquerading as news and taking up space. I guess it sells.

Best.

kpanghmc

Post by kpanghmc » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:38 am

To those who insist he was a pedophile and a child molester, have you actually read anything about the trials, or more importantly, the sketchy people who took him to court? He was an easy target, and was taken advantage of. You might want to consider that he was never found guilty in either case, but his reputation was ruined forever. The first boy who accused him admitted as much, saying that he had nothing to lose and everything to gain by the case. The second case was just ridiculous as the family had a long history of similar get-rich-quick attempts in court. You may want to consider that he has been found innocent of all pedophile charges by the courts before you go passing judgment and wishing him eternal damnation.
Kevin

Grandma

Post by Grandma » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:50 am

Actually, he wasn't 'found innocent'.
Not being convicted is not the same thing.
Settling civil suits does not mean one wasn't liable.
You are entitled to your opinion and can believe as you wish.
I believe he was a very talented person, and I believe he was guilty of the things I stated. Fortunately, I'm not his judge.
(I just want the television coverage to end.)

Best wishes to you.

mudfud

Post by mudfud » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:55 am

Joel Achenback at the Washington Post:
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/achenb ... ckson.html

"What a sad moment. Michael Jackson may not have been perfect, but he was part of the soundtrack of our lives the last 40 years. At his best, he was the best.

---snip----

He lived to be 50 years old. But maybe he was always really 10. He never seemed to know how to live life as an adult. For now, we'll put all that aside, and think of him at the height of his power -- singing and dancing so well he seemed to defy the laws of physics. I'm pretty sure there's never been anyone else like him."

An incredible talent.
"Are you sure you have tested an a priori hypothesis?" | | Image

Imperabo

Post by Imperabo » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:42 am

Grandma, Michael Jackson may have been the most famous person in the world. It's pointless to compain about the attention given to his untimely death, or try to pass it off as a ratings grab.

tolerable2323

Post by tolerable2323 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:46 am

There are many intelligent people in this forum and everyone has there right in there opinion however, how many of you guys personally know Michael Jackson? or the plaintiffs in those law suits? were did you guys get most or all of your information about Michael?

The only person who is unbiased and knows the truth is the man up stairs.

have respect for the dead regardless of your opinion towards him.

Joel

raveon

Post by raveon » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:50 am

Michael Jackson may have been the most famous person in the world.
Ask a street kid in the slums of Bangkok if {s}he knows who Frank Sinatra/ Elvis Presley/Beatles were, they'll say Who?

Ask them about Michael Jackson, they'll try a cheap (unsuccessful) imitation the moonwalk!

Don't know if he was the most famous but a lot of people (including I) around the world danced when we heard his music!

Winthorpe

Post by Winthorpe » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:10 am

I am sad to hear of the passing of Michael Jackson. He had many problems and never had a normal life from a young age. I've never been convinced of any of the allegations against him. It seemed at the time that there were some pretty shady people behind them.

Anyway, one thing is for sure. His talent was unbelievable.

tj218

Mourning

Post by tj218 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:17 am

Should we be flying the flags at half-staff today? Maybe have a national day of mourning? Maybe the Catholic Church will make him a saint instead of waiting 5 years.

Seriously, we can talk about Michael Jackson, but not politically relevant investment issues on this "Investment Forum". The Climate Change bill being debated in Congress if far more relevant than this mindless drivel.

Mr Bear

Post by Mr Bear » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:22 am

It's amazing, the things people will forgive and forget if you can sing and dance.

Bounca

Post by Bounca » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:50 am

daddypoker23 wrote:There are many intelligent people in this forum and everyone has there right in there opinion however, how many of you guys personally know Michael Jackson? or the plaintiffs in those law suits? were did you guys get most or all of your information about Michael?

The only person who is unbiased and knows the truth is the man up stairs.

have respect for the dead regardless of your opinion towards him.

Joel
I agree, I'm pretty disappointed in the posts. I have a feeling the vast majority here couldn't name five MJ songs. Go out and buy Thriller and educate yourselves.

DocHolliday

Post by DocHolliday » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:13 am

This country and this country's media becomes more disappointing by the minute. Jackson's death is news but the media has blown it way out of proportion. Has Jackson done anything in the last 10 or 15 years? He was a talented entertainer but he was also mentally ill. The last thing I remember him doing was buying babies and then dangling one over a balcony as if it were a toy.

Jackson meant nothing to society except for a few minutes of entertainment in 1980 something. A month from now, this whole discussion will seem silly.

DocHolliday

Post by DocHolliday » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:18 am

The best song by Michael Jackson was "Eat It" by Weird Al. That was good stuff.

ciscovp

Post by ciscovp » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:55 am

DocHolliday wrote: A month from now, this whole discussion will seem silly.
You are right. In a month, your posts will seem silly.

Index Fan

Re: Mourning

Post by Index Fan » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:18 am

Seriously, we can talk about Michael Jackson, but not politically relevant investment issues on this "Investment Forum". The Climate Change bill being debated in Congress if far more relevant than this mindless drivel.
I hear you :) But that's the rules. I've petitioned for change in this area but it hasn't worked.
"Optimum est pati quod emendare non possis." | -Seneca

Grandma

Post by Grandma » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:20 am

Imperabo: Good 'mourning'. You're right. This whole thread is 'pointless'.

I'll be tuning it out, and turning off any media dwelling on this circus.

And by the way, my WSJ indicates this morning that Mousavi did issue a statement yesterday---too bad it wasn't reported on any news channel yesterday. A little balance would be good.

Priorities, priorities. I rest.

Best.

Levett

Post by Levett » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:33 am

mlebuf wrote:Michael Jackson was an incredibly talented performer who seemed very troubled as well. You may remember the old saying, "You can never be too rich or too thin." He sure disproved that one. May he rest in peace and may regular TV programming resume very soon. The news networks are covering his death as if it were a presidential assassination.
I couldn't agree more.

However, I was living in London when Elvis Presley died and the Brits did the same thing.

I guess we live in a celebrity culture. Bob U.
There are some things that count that can't be counted, and some things that can be counted that don't count.

DocHolliday

Post by DocHolliday » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:47 am

ciscovp wrote:
Nobody is going to remember this topic or my posts. The media will have steered the sheep onto the next topic. Enjoy your Thriller album today. A month from now it will be forgotten again.

Harold

Post by Harold » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:59 am

bob u. wrote:
mlebuf wrote:Michael Jackson was an incredibly talented performer who seemed very troubled as well. You may remember the old saying, "You can never be too rich or too thin." He sure disproved that one. May he rest in peace and may regular TV programming resume very soon. The news networks are covering his death as if it were a presidential assassination.
I couldn't agree more.

However, I was living in London when Elvis Presley died and the Brits did the same thing.

I guess we live in a celebrity culture. Bob U.
We do live in a celebrity culture, but that's not necessarily the reason for the reaction people are having.

The man was of massive cultural importance. We may not be fully engaged in the culture he was so influential in bringing about, but it is our current world (and it is global). And for that reason alone, he matters -- a lot.

Thinking about assassinations, I'm sure there have been plenty where the cultural events of the time were more important. Who really remembers what Garfield did as president? But the year he was shot, Renoir created Luncheon of the Boating Party, which we should all remember and appreciate.

bmb

Post by bmb » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:08 am

"Massive cultural influence".
You mean like Lady Di? Does anybody remember that?
The guy was a popular entertainer and talented dancer. His permament imprint on culture or anything else is minimal, except to give the mass media salacious items to report on, teenage hysteria to the contrary.

Harold

Post by Harold » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:15 am

bmb wrote:"Massive cultural influence".
The guy was a popular entertainer and talented dancer. His permament imprint on culture or anything else is minimal, except to give the mass media salacious items to report on, teenage hysteria to the contrary.
Actually, I was thinking of Lady Diana as an example of the "celebrity culture", with little lasting underlying importance.

If you guys don't see Michael Jackson's importance in global culture, I'm not really sure what I can say.

DiscoBunny1979

Post by DiscoBunny1979 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:29 am

DocHolliday wrote:
ciscovp wrote:
Nobody is going to remember this topic or my posts. The media will have steered the sheep onto the next topic. Enjoy your Thriller album today. A month from now it will be forgotten again.
-----------

Well, a DiscoBunny certainly has to chime in on such a topic.

Thriller album won't be forgotten. It's played almost very Holloween at parties and events.

But to be honest about his career . . . his 'moves' and his music is kind of dated - but it does give us a good perspective on a man that used his talent to tackle issues like world hunger/poverty (We Are the World), race (Black or White), and other social concerns that we could only hope that music made today will be able to capture our attention for as long and make us dance.

I do have a problem with folks that suggest that because someone is acquitted of a crime, or pays someone a large sum of money to avoid a trial, isn't "innocent". They fail to also say that he isn't "guilty" either. The boy that was Michael Jackson had a problem . . . and that was he never had a childhood growing up. His constant work with the Jackson five, which lead to his success as an adult gave him the ability to 'buy' a lifestyle in which he could entertain his childhood longings that he never had. That doesn't make him a child mollester. It makes him someone that truely believed that slumber parties with kids are OK. It makes him a person with bad judgement as an adult. And of course, one can get sued over those bad judgements and be accused of anything. Who wouldn't pay to make that go 'away' if one could? Wouldn't you?

To make this topic relevant to investing . . . I'd have to say that the music of Elvis or the Beatles probably have more monetary value in terms of the original LP releases or long-term compensation for an estate.

beardsworth

Post by beardsworth » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:31 am

This is an article, written at the time of his trial, which IMO gives an interesting general view of this troubled person's life.

http://www.thenation.com/doc/20050509/williams/print

Marc

chaz

Post by chaz » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:35 am

Grandma wrote:
tj218 wrote:To be honest, prior to today I forgot that Michael Jackson was alive.

Exactly. And, he was a pedophile. The 24/7 news coverge is ridiculous. Certainly more important than what has been occuring in Iran.
I agree. His singing and dancing were great when he was young, and then things went downhill.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

modal

Post by modal » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:52 am

When will the sightings begin?
DocHolliday wrote:The media will go for ratings and pay tribute to the child molester.
"Man in the Closet"

I wonder if he just went underground to avoid more accusations and his debt obligations.

Anyways, I listened to a lot of his music in the 80s, watched and played the video games (Genesis and Arcade) for Moonwalker, and owned the pre-clean History album.

Levett

Post by Levett » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:22 am

Harold used the term "massive cultural importance."

Bmb changed Harold's term to "massive cultural influence" and then referenced (not necessarly positively) the Princess of Wales.

Our investment universe will neither stand nor fall on this hopefully pleasant exchange ( :D ), but I would have agreed with Harold had he used Bmbs term, "influence." I don't see how I could possible argue against Mr. Jackson's global influence, nor that of Elvis Presley either.

On the other hand, I'm of the view that the Princess of Wales had considerable (not "massive") cultural importance and influence because of her wonderful charitable work with groups of people viewed as "untouchables" by many throughout the world.

Starting in the mid- to late 1980s, the Princess of Wales became increasingly known for her support of numerous charities. This stemmed naturally from her role as Princess of Wales—she was expected to visit hospitals and other state agencies in the 20th century model of royal patronage. Diana, however, developed an interest in serious illnesses and health-related matters outside the purview of traditional royal involvement, including AIDS and leprosy. In addition, the Princess patronised charities and organisations working with the homeless, youth, drug addicts and the elderly.
Diana was most famously, in the last year of her life, the most visible supporter of the International Campaign to Ban Landmines, a campaign that went on to win the Nobel Peace Prize in 1997 after her death, which many believed was a posthumus tribute to the Princess.[18]

Quote taken from Wiki. Bob U.
There are some things that count that can't be counted, and some things that can be counted that don't count.

swyck

Post by swyck » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:57 am

ciscovp wrote:
They seem silly now.

saurabhec

Post by saurabhec » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:26 am

Harold wrote:
bmb wrote:"Massive cultural influence".
Actually, I was thinking of Lady Diana as an example of the "celebrity culture", with little lasting underlying importance.

If you guys don't see Michael Jackson's importance in global culture, I'm not really sure what I can say.
As someone who grew up outside the US in India, I can tell you that Michael Jackson is probably the most famous American who has ever lived as far as the world outside the US is concerned. I doubt that the name recognition he has globally has ever been reached by any artist ever in history. He was simply a genius, and transformed music and popular culture across the globe. I am shocked at the petty comments by his critics, especially in the wake of a tragic early death. There was something about his music, videos, and dancing that spoke to people all over the world at a very elemental level. His art had that "X factor" in a way that no artist living or dead has had in terms of global appeal.