Windows 7 OS upgrade $49 limited time

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
djw

Windows 7 OS upgrade $49 limited time

Post by djw » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:57 am

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/ptech/06/2 ... index.html

"From Friday through July 11, consumers in the U.S. will be able to buy an upgrade copy of Windows 7 Home premium for $49 or Windows 7 Professional for $99. That offer is good for both XP and Windows Vista PCs, regardless of whether someone has been trying out the pre-release version of the operating system."

"The offer, however, is limited in both duration and by the number of copies Microsoft is willing to sell, although Microsoft would not specify that figure. The upgrade will be available at Amazon, Best Buy, Microsoft's own store, Office Depot, OfficeMax, Costco, Staples, Wal-Mart and several other retailers. "That truly is a price that we have never even come close to in terms of an operating system release," corporate vice president Brad Brooks said."

Amazon is not offering this yet; probably will have it tomorrow.

Here's a link to the Microsoft web page re: this offer:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... os=nonwin7

Always check system requirement before even thinking about an OS upgrade:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... quirements

Next, on your PC, Click Start, Right-click on My Computer, and choose Properties to see if your PC meets the minimums.

If you're currently using Windows XP, they say you'll need to do a "clean install" which means you'll need to know what you're doing and take steps to safeguard your existing address book, email, documents, photos, and other data files before doing the upgrade.

Windows 7 has been receiving excellent reviews, MUCH better than Vista, so I was sorely tempted to enter my pre-order.

I contemplated this for a few minutes and decided NOT to buy it. My PC is 5 years old and would need more RAM to meet requirements. I expect to buy a new PC sometime in the next few years and will get Windows 7 pre-installed at no extra charge when I do.

If my PC was 2 years old, I'd probably buy the upgrade, then wait a year or two before installing it. I always wait until Microsoft releases the first major bug fixes (SP1, aka service pack 1) before moving to a new OS.

I've also been thinking of buying a laptop to complement my desktop PC, but I think I'll wait until SP1 has been released a year or two from now.

While I was at the Microsoft site I also noticed a sweet deal: Office 2007 Ultimate for only $59.95, but you need to have a college or school email address to qualify. See this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/education/arey ... UDXBX41SMH

stratton

Post by stratton » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:06 am

Depends on the old system.

I have a Dell Workstation 530 from Nov 2001 with 2x1.7 Ghz P4, 1 GB ram and 2x15,000 rpm SCSI drives that would run it just fine. I have no plans on upgrading it since its a backup system that hasn't been turned on in several months...

Paul

tj218

Post by tj218 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:49 am

I wonder if this is a response to open-source OSs (Ubuntu) eating (albiet small) market share since the Vista release.

I have two pc's on XP, and three running Ubuntu (don't ask why I have all these computers). All my old computers some of which are rarely used are all Ubuntu since it isn't the resource hog. My work has shifted to all open source in an effort to save money) and provided us with a new Ubuntu laptop.

I still won't run Ubuntu on my primary home computers, but for just surfing the web it is more than fine. Open Office still has some kinks to be worked out of it to match MS Office (2003, I hated the 2007 version) IMO. Currently I would need to go in and re-edit most of my presentations to make them Open Office friendly.

Wish there was good use besides dust trap for all the old computers...

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:27 pm

If you have a vista computer you should switch to 7. It is much faster and much easier to use. Im loving it so far.

soaring

Post by soaring » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:53 pm

Will Windows 7 operate older hardware that XP operates? Unlike Vista problems with this issue.
Desiderata

ramink

Re: Windows 7 OS upgrade $49 limited time

Post by ramink » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:48 pm

djw wrote:http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/ptech/06/2 ... index.html

Windows 7 has been receiving excellent reviews, MUCH better than Vista, so I was sorely tempted to enter my pre-order.

I contemplated this for a few minutes and decided NOT to buy it. My PC is 5 years old and would need more RAM to meet requirements. I expect to buy a new PC sometime in the next few years and will get Windows 7 pre-installed at no extra charge when I do.

If my PC was 2 years old, I'd probably buy the upgrade, then wait a year or two before installing it. I always wait until Microsoft releases the first major bug fixes (SP1, aka service pack 1) before moving to a new OS.

I've also been thinking of buying a laptop to complement my desktop PC, but I think I'll wait until SP1 has been released a year or two from now.
FWIW - I tried the Windows 7 Release candidate on a 7 year old 2.4 Ghz Pentium with 1 GB RAM and was very impressed. It was very much usable.

It definitely makes sense to get it free with a new PC/laptop though

LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:22 am

If you have a Microcenter near you, they are offering the upgrade for $39.99 for the next 3 days. No mail orders - you must go into a store.
http://microcenter.com/storefronts/micr ... order.html

soaring

Post by soaring » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:06 am

If you plan to buy a new computer anyway then free Windows 7 upgrade is available from HP / Dell and probably others too as of today, friday for all MS operating systems except Vista basic.
Desiderata

MWCA

Post by MWCA » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:08 am

I pre-ordered on Amazon last night after seeing this. Not going to be buying a computer anytime soon. Thanks for the heads up btw.

Tabs

Post by Tabs » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:19 am

Thanks for the heads up!

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:36 am

I always wait until Microsoft releases the first major bug fixes (SP1, aka service pack 1) before moving to a new OS.
This has been my practice as well. I have an old desktop that still runs XP quite nicely - no problems so I don't see a need to change this one. My laptop is less than 6 months old. Running Vista SP1 now -- this one is a tougher call. I might be tempted to take the plunge with this. However I use this laptop for my work with the Tax-Aide organization and their infrastructure will likely not support W7 for quite a while -- they barely know what to do with Vista.

Can you "upgrade" in a separate partition and dual boot?
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

mithrandir

Post by mithrandir » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:54 am

Tough decision.

My PC will be exactly 3 years old when Windows 7 is released this October. A 3 yr old PC is middle-aged. I have the RAM (3GB) and CPU power (Core 2 Duo 1.86GHz) but it may end up being easier just to buy a new PC. I don't know. $49 for Home Premium is a great price since that is available to XP owners not just Vista owners.

soaring

Post by soaring » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:36 am

mithrandir wrote:$49 for Home Premium is a great price since that is available to XP owners not just Vista owners.
XP owners upgrading to Windows 7 should verify what software/hardware will work with Windows 7. Most likely just like Vista anything purchased before 2003 and much that was purchased after 2003 will not work with Windows 7 including mice, keyboard, external hard drives, software, etc. You must check with every manufacture of everything you own to verify if it will work with Windows 7. And of course at this early stage few know.

Microsoft hasn't released compatibility info yet
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compat ... windows-7/

Thats why today I'm ordering a puter with Vista Ultimate bonus loaded with XP professional. That way I have choices but don't have to replace my software / hardware for years. Also this purchase will get a free upgrade to Windows 7 disc that I can later use if / when needed.

XP will be supported my MS until August 2014.
Desiderata

rec7

Post by rec7 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:21 am

I need advice from you guys. I have a duo 2.2 G with 3 G ram, should I upgrade? Will I save money in the long run? Right now I am running Vista.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:35 am

The OS doesn't speed things up, it's the applications (for the most part). Unless you're doing video editing or anything that needs "horsepower", I'd stick with what you have now. You should be able to run "generic" internet, word processing, and email applications OK.

A new OS means everyone is going to have to update their applications. I'd wait about a year for everything to settle out.

Ubuntu / Win XP is just fine for me. Core 2 duo 3.3 GHz, 3 GB RAM, high-end video card. My apps need horsepower.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

stevewolfe

Post by stevewolfe » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:49 am

Yea, with the improvements made to Ubuntu over the last few years it's hard to get excited about this deal from MS - although I would say if you are still on Windows it's a good deal to consider. We just moved our last PC off Windows to Ubuntu last week. I've been using linux since 1996, but my wife finally decided she wanted to switch instead of dual booting when I assembled her most recent PC. She hasn't missed it and we're not going back.

soaring

Post by soaring » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:35 am

rec7 wrote:I need advice from you guys. I have a duo 2.2 G with 3 G ram, should I upgrade? Will I save money in the long run? Right now I am running Vista.
If you are already using Vista without issue and all your apps / software / hardware etc works then there is little reason to upgrade IMO.

When upgrading you subject yourself to potential issues. I believe in "when it aint broke don't fix it" when it comes to computers.
Desiderata

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:50 am

soaring wrote:
rec7 wrote:I need advice from you guys. I have a duo 2.2 G with 3 G ram, should I upgrade? Will I save money in the long run? Right now I am running Vista.
If you are already using Vista without issue and all your apps / software / hardware etc works then there is little reason to upgrade IMO.

When upgrading you subject yourself to potential issues. I believe in "when it aint broke don't fix it" when it comes to computers.
Amen, soaring. I'm sticking with XP as long as I can. I extended the warranty on my laptop for another three years so I can continue to use XP, and if I get a Netbook, it too will have XP.

It ain't broke, so I'm not fixing it!
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

Karl

Post by Karl » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:12 pm

I've had the worst luck in buying computers. I bought a Dell right after the switch to Windows ME, which seems to be deemed to worst thing on earth till Microsoft managed to top that disaster with Vista. Vista came out the same week my Dell finally died and I bought a new computer from a local computer shop. I had the option of either going with Vista or XP. Well, being only days old, the reviews on how much Vista totally sucks had yet to pour in. I figured that since XP was getting dated (at that point in Feb 2007 it had been 5 years since the intro of a new OS, the longest Microsoft had ever gone without bringing out a new one) so I figured Vista made sense. I was wrong.

rec7

Post by rec7 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:14 pm

Thanks guys everything is running fine.