What Size TV for Master Bedroom?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Ron Ronnerson

What Size TV for Master Bedroom?

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

I’m looking into purchasing a tv for a master bedroom. It would be mounted on the wall and viewed from about 12 feet away. Our eyes aren’t as strong as they once were. What size would you recommend?
JoeRetire

Re: What Size TV for Master Bedroom?

Post by JoeRetire »

I recommend not having a television in the bedroom at all.

But, in general, go to the store and stand 12 feet away from the televisions. Buy the smallest one that feels comfortable to your eyes.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Watching TV before bed isn't going to help your sleep quality. But to answer your questions: for this distance, probably 55 to 65 inches.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Ron Ronnerson wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:19 pm I’m looking into purchasing a tv for a master bedroom. It would be mounted on the wall and viewed from about 12 feet away. Our eyes aren’t as strong as they once were. What size would you recommend?
I feel your pain with the eyes not being as strong. I have a 40 inch television int he bedroom. This replaced a prior 32 inch years ago.

In the future, I may increase this a little more. 40 inch is a great size through for reading the letters.

Best.
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Topic Author
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

02nz wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:27 pm Watching TV before bed isn't going to help your sleep quality. But to answer your questions: for this distance, probably 55 to 65 inches.
Fair point. Luckily, we're good sleepers and watching tv before bed hasn't been a big issue for us in the past. Thanks for providing a recommended range; that's helpful.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Ron Ronnerson wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:36 pm
02nz wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:27 pm Watching TV before bed isn't going to help your sleep quality. But to answer your questions: for this distance, probably 55 to 65 inches.
Fair point. Luckily, we're good sleepers and watching tv before bed hasn't been a big issue for us in the past. Thanks for providing a recommended range; that's helpful.
BTW if you want to splurge a little, get OLED. A 55-inch can be had for $900. Much better picture quality, and the main drawback of OLED (less bright than LCDs) isn't an issue in the bedroom.
Topic Author
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

02nz wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:48 pm
BTW if you want to splurge a little, get OLED. A 55-inch can be had for $900. Much better picture quality, and the main drawback of OLED (less bright than LCDs) isn't an issue in the bedroom.
Thanks again! That's also good to know.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Ron Ronnerson wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:49 pm
Or you could get a 65" for <$400 - wife and I agree that OLED isn't worth it to us. I'm with others, that TV in the bedroom is a bad idea, but if you are going to do it, 55" is pretty small from 12'. In fact, recommendations for TV size from 12' are generally 70+ https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-si ... lationship. Sitting distance in our living room is ~8' and I sort of regret not going bigger than 65' when we got a new TV recently.
Topic Author
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

stoptothink wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:57 pm
Or you could get a 65" for <$400 - wife and I agree that OLED isn't worth it to us. I'm with others, that TV in the bedroom is a bad idea, but if you are going to do it, 55" is pretty small from 12'. In fact, recommendations for TV size from 12' are generally 70+ https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-si ... lationship. Sitting distance in our living room is ~8' and I sort of regret not going bigger than 65' when we got a new TV recently.
Thanks. This is helpful. On the one hand, I like the idea of getting a bigger tv as it makes for better viewing and, as I said earlier, our eyes aren't as strong as they once were (and likely will only get worse). On the other hand, though, this would be for a bedroom and I don't know if it's going to look good to have a huge tv in there.

I'm not sure about OLED. I'd have to take a closer look to see if I can tell much of a difference. I have a 13 year old LCD tv in another room that is just fine for me in terms of picture quality. I was hoping to spend under $500 but would be willing to go a little higher if there is a big enough difference in quality. I don't want to exceed $1k in any case.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Ron Ronnerson wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:14 pm
stoptothink wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:57 pm

Thanks. This is helpful. On the one hand, I like the idea of getting a bigger tv as it makes for better viewing and, as I said earlier, our eyes aren't as strong as they once were (and likely will only get worse). On the other hand, though, this would be for a bedroom and I don't know if it's going to look good to have a huge tv in there.

I'm not sure about OLED. I'd have to take a closer look to see if I can tell much of a difference. I have a 13 year old LCD tv in another room that is just fine for me in terms of picture quality. I was hoping to spend under $500 but would be willing to go a little higher if there is a big enough difference in quality. I don't want to exceed $1k in any case.
We're younger, both with better than 20/20 vision and it doesn't make much difference to us. My parents, my brother, and my in-laws all have 65"+ OLEDs and we've watched countless hours of movies and sports on them, never once have we thought ours isn't good enough. We just can't justify the cost differential (our 65" TCL was $348, same size OLED is $1300+). But, based on past TV threads here, seems like we are outliers.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

I wouldn't go smaller than 55", but 65" would probably be much better.

We moved a 55" into our MBR a couple of years ago, but we rarely watch from the bed which would be ~14'. We do watch quite a lot from a loveseat which is 6-7' away. I don't know how we tolerated the 42" TV we had there previously :D
four7s

Post by four7s »

DW and I are in our 70s and recently purchased a 55in for the bedroom wall about 10 feet away. Very pleased. Chose 55 over a 65. No regrets. BTW, I wouldn’t overpay or go fancy. Any name brand Sony, Samsung, et al will be great viewing as they are all very good. Happy viewing
Topic Author
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

Thanks, everyone. I'm seeing recommendations for 55"-65" so am thinking of going right down the middle.

What are the thoughts on something like this 60" Samsung tv for $380?
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-60 ... Id=6517113

I know it's not an OLED but I'm thinking I don't really need the top of the line and the price is reasonable.
Dregob

Post by Dregob »

Ron Ronnerson wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:19 pm I’m looking into purchasing a tv for a master bedroom. It would be mounted on the wall and viewed from about 12 feet away. Our eyes aren’t as strong as they once were. What size would you recommend?
None. Read a book, sleep or....something else.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

IMHO, TVs are meant to be big. 12 feet is a large distance, so you need a bigun. 60 inches is actually small for that distance. THX recommend multiplying the distance times
THX recommends dividing your screen size by 0.835 to find the maximum distance from which you can comfortably watch that TV. Or, because you're probably looking at how far your couch will be from your TV first, take that number and multiply it by 0.835. So, if your couch is five feet away from your TV (60 inches), a 50-inch TV is the minimum size to consider. If it's seven feet away, pick at least a 70-inch model (75 inches is the more common screen size).
https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-cho ... creen-size
Since it is in the bedroom and far away, oled would be overkill. I think you can go cheap, so a 75 inch could be <$500
Last edited by mhalley on Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:59 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Krm45

Post by Krm45 »

In true Bogglehead fashion, I still have my 19" Quazar (circa 1990) in our bedroom. I don't watch it much, but it's still working.
Ping Pong

Post by Ping Pong »

If you’re only going to watch when it’s dark, you could use a projector. When not in use, you’ll just have a wall to look at.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

Last edited by tennisplyr on Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 12 years 😀
vested1

Post by vested1 »

Dregob wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:50 pm
You can do both. I read extensively during the day and like to watch TV in bed using wireless bluetooth headphones linked to a firestick on our TV, which is a 77" LG OLED mounted on the wall about 13' from my eyeballs. My wife likes to read and isn't disturbed by the TV because she can't hear it. When either of us gets tired we turn off her bedside lamp and the TV, which works for us.

To each his/her own. In my opinion, bigger is better, but your mileage may vary. The LR has a wall mounted 83" LG OLED at about the same viewing distance as the master, equipped with bluetooth headphones when needed.
Dregob

Post by Dregob »

vested1 wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:33 pm
You can do both. I read extensively during the day and like to watch TV in bed using wireless bluetooth headphones linked to a firestick on our TV, which is a 77" LG OLED mounted on the wall about 13' from my eyeballs. My wife likes to read and isn't disturbed by the TV because she can't hear it. When either of us gets tired we turn off her bedside lamp and the TV, which works for us.

To each his/her own. In my opinion, bigger is better, but your mileage may vary. The LR has a wall mounted 83" LG OLED at about the same viewing distance as the master, equipped with bluetooth headphones when needed.
Why not mount it on the ceiling?
TwstdSista

Post by TwstdSista »

We're at about the same distance for our tv which is either a 32" or a 36" - whichever size it is, it's way too small. We have a 46" in the living room which may eventually get moved to the bedroom.
Always passive

Post by Always passive »

I have never had a TV in the bedroom. But if you want one, watching TV should be at the very very end of the list.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

Personally I can't imagine not having a tv in a bedroom. I'd go w/o one anywhere in the house first. To me nothing more relaxing after a long day at work than changing clothes, lying down in bed and watching a movie or a show. Even more so when one is sick, or right now when I'm isolating my wife in the bedroom due to catching covid and somehow I don't have it.

We have a 42" tv in the bedroom and it works well for us. Really depends on how far away you are. Personally I don't want anything too big where I feel like I have to move my head back and forth. My last house we could have used a larger tv since the bedroom was large. My living rooms tend to be smaller and the tv is often on the short side of the rectangular room so the 50" is plenty since I'm within 9 feet.

For some people, they prefer as large tv as possible.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Like most things it depends on your circumstances and usage requirements.

I have found TV Size to Distance Calculator and Science - RTINGS.com helpful for guidance on the choice(s).
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
enad

Post by enad »

The Wall Street Journal had this seating distance:

40 inch: 5 feet, 3 inches
50 inch: 6 feet, 5 inches
60 inch: 7 feet, 8 inches
70 inch: 9 feet, 2 inches

I suppose if you are going to put a TV in the bedroom, get the biggest one you can fit on a dresser or wall. As your eyes age you'll thank yourself for getting the biggest one instead of getting a bigger later.
What Goes Up Must come down -- David Clayton-Thomas (1968), BST
sureshoe

Post by sureshoe »

Anywhere from 40 inches to 70 will be fine. In a bedroom, anything much over 50 inches would have a tacky aesthetic in my opinion.
vested1

Post by vested1 »

sureshoe wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:00 am Anywhere from 40 inches to 70 will be fine. In a bedroom, anything much over 50 inches would have a tacky aesthetic in my opinion.
I'm confused. The question was about the size of a TV in the master bedroom and you said up to 70 inches would be fine, but then said it would be tacky if the TV were over 50 inches in the bedroom.

I don't entertain guests very often in my master bedroom, so don't concern myself too much with the appearance of tackiness, but if I did, I would have to reconsider the giant velvet Elvis picture hanging on the wall above the headboard. What can I say, my wife needs something to inspire her at times. :beer
Topic Author
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. There are lots of thoughts about not having a tv in the bedroom but we have our reasons.

We have an eight-year-old daughter who goes to bed before us and likes to leave her bedroom door open. When we go downstairs to the living room to watch a show, we wait an hour or so after she goes to bed and then turn down the volume low so as not to wake her up. The living room is right above the kid’s room and we don’t want the noise disturbing her. By that time, it’s too late to start a movie.

On the weekends, the kid may want to watch cartoons and I’d rather lay in bed for a while and watch a Sunday morning news show or something. Other times, there is language or content on a program that isn’t suitable for a second grader and we don’t want our daughter seeing or hearing something that she shouldn’t.

When someone isn’t feeling well, having a tv in the bedroom can come in handy. I had Covid over the summer and my wife escaped it as I stayed in the bedroom for a week.

Now that I’ve given reasons/excuses/justifications, please let’s move on to the question at hand: what size should we get so that we can watch the tv without straining our eyes (we’re turning 49 years old this year and will likely have this tv for years to come) but isn’t so big that it looks odd to have a tv that size in the bedroom?
Target2019

Post by Target2019 »

We updated living room TV to 65" and moved the older 48" model into the bedroom. It is more than adequate at 12' viewing distance. Height of mounting is just as important. I chose to place ours on a TV cabinet which is chest-height.
rebellovw

Post by rebellovw »

We have a 65 inch - huge. Keep in mind it is tough to sleep when one person is watching TV and the other wants to sleep. It was always a point of contention. We used to have a nice 40 LED (thin like a picture frame) - and that was easier as it gave off less light and light movement.

We now have our own rooms - each with a 65 inch TV in it.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Ron Ronnerson wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:01 am Thanks for the feedback, everyone. There are lots of thoughts about not having a tv in the bedroom but we have our reasons.

We have an eight-year-old daughter who goes to bed before us and likes to leave her bedroom door open. When we go downstairs to the living room to watch a show, we wait an hour or so after she goes to bed and then turn down the volume low so as not to wake her up. The living room is right above the kid’s room and we don’t want the noise disturbing her. By that time, it’s too late to start a movie.

What size TV do you have in the living room now, and what's the viewing distance? Have you considered moving that one into the bedroom and putting the new one in the living room? If the living room one gets more viewing time, I'd want to spend a little more and have the newer one there.
Topic Author
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

02nz wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:20 am
Ron Ronnerson wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:01 am Thanks for the feedback, everyone. There are lots of thoughts about not having a tv in the bedroom but we have our reasons.

What size TV do you have in the living room now, and what's the viewing distance? Have you considered moving that one into the bedroom and putting the new one in the living room? If the living room one gets more viewing time, I'd want to spend a little more and have the newer one there.
We have a 58” tv in the living that was purchased two years ago. It is the maximum size we could fit into the space in the living room and it’s perfect there. The bedroom wouldn’t have space limitations (within reason).
sureshoe

Post by sureshoe »

vested1 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:45 am
sureshoe wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:00 am Anywhere from 40 inches to 70 will be fine. In a bedroom, anything much over 50 inches would have a tacky aesthetic in my opinion.
I'm confused. The question was about the size of a TV in the master bedroom and you said up to 70 inches would be fine, but then said it would be tacky if the TV were over 50 inches in the bedroom.

I don't entertain guests very often in my master bedroom, so don't concern myself too much with the appearance of tackiness, but if I did, I would have to reconsider the giant velvet Elvis picture hanging on the wall above the headboard. What can I say, my wife needs something to inspire her at times. :beer
There are 2 factors in the equation:
Viewing comfort
Aesthetic Appropriateness

12 feet is more than enough viewing space for a 70 inch TV. That's Viewing Comfort.
I think a 70" TV would look silly in a bedroom. 50" is a good number.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Ron Ronnerson wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:44 am

We have a 58” tv in the living that was purchased two years ago. It is the maximum size we could fit into the space in the living room and it’s perfect there. The bedroom wouldn’t have space limitations (within reason).
Why not move it to the bedroom to at least see how the size/viewing distance works, then go from there to decide what size TV to get and for which room.
AS7911

Post by AS7911 »

You need to consider the type of TV programs you will be watching. Is this your main house location for watching movies? In which case go really big. Is it mainly for watching the morning news in the background while getting ready for work? Then a more modest size may make sense.
Topic Author
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

02nz wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:19 am
Ron Ronnerson wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:44 am

Why not move it to the bedroom to at least see how the size/viewing distance works, then go from there to decide what size TV to get and for which room.
Good suggestion. It’s a little bit of work but may be worth it.
Topic Author
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

sureshoe wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:14 am

Viewing comfort

12 feet is more than enough viewing space for a 70 inch TV. That's Viewing Comfort.
This is exactly the dilemma. I guess my question boils down to this: what’s the biggest size tv that would work for a bedroom without looking silly?
Callisto

Post by Callisto »

Depending on your price point you can consider a ultra short throw (UST) projector, which will give you 120" or more. They are going to be more expensive than the cheapest TVs, but less expensive than the most expensive TVs. These are not the old style projectors that must be ceiling mounted far away and require maintainance.

They are nice for bedrooms because their greatest weakness is they are much more sensitive to light control, but most bedrooms are going to have good light control already for sleeping.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

Ron Ronnerson wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:01 pm
This is exactly the dilemma. I guess my question boils down to this: what’s the biggest size tv that would work for a bedroom without looking silly?
0-120" depending on personal preference. Personally I have never been in a room with a 12' viewing distance where 70" would look silly. But your mileage will vary. Plenty of people will go any Tv that you can see is tacky. Some of them have cabinets and the like to hide them. To me that is silly...
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

Apparently a tv in the bedroom can make you sleepless, sick and fat.

https://eachnight.com/sleep/tv-in-bedroom/
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
Topic Author
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

randomguy wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:10 pm
0-120" depending on personal preference. Personally I have never been in a room with a 12' viewing distance where 70" would look silly. But your mileage will vary. Plenty of people will go any Tv that you can see is tacky. Some of them have cabinets and the like to hide them. To me that is silly...
Fair enough. Maybe I’ll go with around 60” since that was the middle of the range.
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

I always prefer to take what's behind curtain number 3.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
sureshoe

Post by sureshoe »

Viewing comfort

That's just an opinion quesiton.

My opinion is 50 inches. In my case, it sits on top of a dresser, but we literally haven't turned it on in 3 years.

If you mounted it on the wall and it was effectively the centerpiece of that wall, you could go up to 70 inches. That feels odd to me unless you're someone who lives in the bedroom, but it wouldn't be totally ridiculous.

Again, just all opinions.
Topic Author
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

sureshoe wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:52 am

Viewing comfort

That's just an opinion quesiton.

My opinion is 50 inches. In my case, it sits on top of a dresser, but we literally haven't turned it on in 3 years.

If you mounted it on the wall and it was effectively the centerpiece of that wall, you could go up to 70 inches. That feels odd to me unless you're someone who lives in the bedroom, but it wouldn't be totally ridiculous.

Again, just all opinions.
I understand but sometimes it’s helpful to get opinions and I appreciate yours. Thanks.
Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke »

Ron Ronnerson wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:14 pm Thanks. This is helpful. On the one hand, I like the idea of getting a bigger tv as it makes for better viewing and, as I said earlier, our eyes aren't as strong as they once were (and likely will only get worse). On the other hand, though, this would be for a bedroom and I don't know if it's going to look good to have a huge tv in there.
Get the biggest TV that will fit on the wall that's within your budget. I've never heard anyone complain about their TV being too big.
GT99

Post by GT99 »

It's fascinating to me that people are able to judge the proper aesthetic size of a TV based on no information other than "bedroom." Bedrooms vary tremendously. We have a 55" TV in our bedroom that almost never gets used (we only have it because it was previously in the the living room but we replaced it with a bigger TV), but the space could easily hold a 75" TV without looking odd at all. But if we're talking about a bedroom that's less than 120 sq feet, then yeah, probably would look odd.

But why would you choose aesthetic over functional in a bedroom? How often do you have people who don't live in your household in your bedroom? And would something slightly less good looking but more functional bother you and/or your partner? I mean, I get not wanting it to look ridiculous, but it has to be a pretty small/cramped room for a 65" TV to look ridiculous.

If aesthetics are a priority, a wall mounted 65" TV would generally be about 33" Tall and 57" wide. Would a similarly sized mirror or piece of artwork reasonably fit the space? If yes, then aesthetics shouldn't be an issue. That's how I would think about it.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

enad wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:32 am The Wall Street Journal had this seating distance:

40 inch: 5 feet, 3 inches
50 inch: 6 feet, 5 inches
60 inch: 7 feet, 8 inches
70 inch: 9 feet, 2 inches

I suppose if you are going to put a TV in the bedroom, get the biggest one you can fit on a dresser or wall. As your eyes age you'll thank yourself for getting the biggest one instead of getting a bigger later.
Very true!

I have a 65 inch TV in my bedroom. The large screen allows me to enjoy the picture without my glasses, but even more important I can have lower/no sound volume and readable closed captioning. This allows me to watch TV at odd hours of the night or early morning and not disturb DW's rest. She gets very cranky unless she gets a full night's sleep. I have no desire to cheat her of the sleep she needs! :shock:

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

Krm45 wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:55 pm In true Bogglehead fashion, I still have my 19" Quazar (circa 1990) in our bedroom. I don't watch it much, but it's still working.
You and I :-)

Our main TV is like 20-something inches! I don't mind watching movies on my smartphone lol.

PS: Sorry, I lied :-( The correct numbers - after a measurement - are 24" in bedroom and 39" in front room. I guess I haven't really kept track of TV sizes :oops:
Topic Author
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

GT99 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:44 am It's fascinating to me that people are able to judge the proper aesthetic size of a TV based on no information other than "bedroom." Bedrooms vary tremendously. We have a 55" TV in our bedroom that almost never gets used (we only have it because it was previously in the the living room but we replaced it with a bigger TV), but the space could easily hold a 75" TV without looking odd at all. But if we're talking about a bedroom that's less than 120 sq feet, then yeah, probably would look odd.

But why would you choose aesthetic over functional in a bedroom? How often do you have people who don't live in your household in your bedroom? And would something slightly less good looking but more functional bother you and/or your partner? I mean, I get not wanting it to look ridiculous, but it has to be a pretty small/cramped room for a 65" TV to look ridiculous.

If aesthetics are a priority, a wall mounted 65" TV would generally be about 33" Tall and 57" wide. Would a similarly sized mirror or piece of artwork reasonably fit the space? If yes, then aesthetics shouldn't be an issue. That's how I would think about it.
Good point about functionality being more important than aesthetic. While the two aren't weighted the same, I don't want to completely ignore the aesthetic aspect all together either. By the way, your response is helpful and I'm now thinking that 65" might be better than 60".

The room's dimensions are approximately 13.5 ft. by 15.5 ft so it's about 210 sq ft.

Thanks again.
Doctor Rhythm

Post by Doctor Rhythm »

We went for 75” at similar distance, at spouse’s insistence (I was thinking 65”). I was wrong - bigger was better.