What are your LEAST favorite vacation destinations

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
OnBoard

What are your LEAST favorite vacation destinations

Post by OnBoard »

Other thread got me thinking, what destination did you have high hopes for that disappointment you the most?
cbox

Re: What are your LEAST favorite vacation destinations

Post by cbox »

OnBoard wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:48 am Other thread got me thinking, what destination did you have high hopes for that disappointment you the most?
Almost any place in the United States because I hate driving and the infrastructure forces one to be in the car for inordinate amounts of time. I prefer vacations that get me out there and active, which is why I typically head to Europe--the Alps in the nicer weather. I take the trains from city to walkable city and the wonderful buses within cities for longer distances, and that way I'm able to stay perfectly mobile without ever setting foot in a car or sitting in traffic. Nirvana.
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

This is just our personal opinion and not a knock on what I’m sure is a nice place, but I do not get the appeal of Santa Fe, NM as a destination. I’ve been through there a couple times and have been profoundly bored. I’m sure it’s a lovely town to live in, but I don’t get traveling there

Of course, I find art galleries pretty boring. If there is more to do I never found it.
“… the fact remains that buying a nominal bond ladder to defease future living expenses can prove disastrous.” - Bill Bernstein | | “…something unusual happens—usually.” - Nassim Taleb
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Not that I had high hopes for it, but years and years ago, I went to a Disney place. Miserable. I never returned.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:21 am Not that I had high hopes for it, but years and years ago, I went to a Disney place. Miserable. I never returned.
This. My wife was once a HUGE Disney Fan, but that has changed and even my kids weren't really into it the last time we went. We will never go again. I also agree with Santa Fe, NM and I have a trio of least favorite cities in the country that we've vacationed in: San Francisco (absolutely beautiful natural environment, EVERYTHING else about the city was not to our liking - to put it mildly), Las Vegas, and New Orleans.

Internationally, Rome, Paris, and Cancun were my three least favorite trips, but it's hard to get a good impression of a place when you have like 3-7 days to see things. I've never been blown away by anywhere in Europe and I've been to about half of the major travel destinations (wife still wants to do Croatia at some point), granted most of my trips were for business.

IMO, there is so much natural beauty within ~5hrs drive of my house (and we're really into nature, hiking, camping) that I don't really see the point in extensive traveling. That's my perspective on vacations.
mrmass

Post by mrmass »

Norwalk, CA to visit inlaws. The inlaws are fine.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

We have found interesting things to see and do in nearly every destination we have been to all around the US, Europe and Asia so this one is hard for me to answer BUT if I had to pick a least favorite I would say some of the Carribean beach vacations I have been on. I can't spend more that a couple of days baking in the sun drinking rum drinks reading books before I need to do something else (and all the beach attractions get old quickly). I realize I am in the minority here.

This question will be answered based upon individual interests (e.g. - I have been to Sante Fe and enjoyed but agree with poster above that if you don't like artsy-crafty places it's probably not for you. A couple of musuems and some interest places within an hour or so drive but it's mostly about art).
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Walt Disney World Resort. Loved it in 1979 and 1986. Hated it in 2014 and 2015. And in 2014 we were staying on the property, in the Contemporary, sharing a suite, high-end lodging, walking distance to Magic Kingdom, see the fireworks right from the hotel.

90-minute waits in line. Food at any but three-star restaurants ranged from disappointing (decent mall food court quality at restaurant prices) to terrible ("Himalayan local food" = teriyaki sauce on chicken nuggets). The right word for food prices isn't "exorbitant," it's "abusive." Incessant and intrusive advertising for the Disney Vacation Club everywhere.

One morning, we were walking around between attractions and I decided to try to count smiles in the people around us.

I saw no smiles.

Sourpusses everywhere. Even the kids. Particularly the kids.

On the evidence of smiles, any city financial district is a happier place than Walt Disney World.

If you love it, peace. I'm happy for you.

(Yes, there are Disney virtues... the rides themselves are great, and in the "show-like" attractions, they play fair--in exchange for not being able to choose a seat, the auditoriums have nothing but good seats. And, yes, it's clean.)
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
gator15

Post by gator15 »

Someone earlier mentioned Cancun and I agree. My experience there was so bad I’ve refuse to travel to the country again. I may be in the minority here but Italy was a big “meh” for me. We spent two weeks there and traveled to 8 different cities via car. The only city I truly enjoyed was Florence.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Anything Disney.
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

Curacao.

We didn't arrive there on a cruise ship, but the island felt like a big extension of a very touristy cruise ship (which is my nightmare...). Not my cup of tea, and it would not be high on my list of places to return to.

I'd agree with Cancun as well. I had a good trip there, but we stayed at a quiet resort many years ago. It seems like things have changed and its become much more of a party / spring break destination. From what I've heard from people who have been there, I am not planning on returning.
dcabler

Post by dcabler »

Pretty much any place that has been designated by the popular press as a tourist destination. Can't stand the crowds, especially busloads of tourists that clog up everything....

Cheers.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Las Vegas Strip
Disney.
Staying with family.
keith6014

Post by keith6014 »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:21 am Not that I had high hopes for it, but years and years ago, I went to a Disney place. Miserable. I never returned.
As an engineer I was impressed with Disney's operations. But as a parent I wasn't so thrilled. I think its a miserable place.

(great thread BTW).
Last edited by keith6014 on Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy »

mrmass wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:38 am Norwalk, CA to visit inlaws. The inlaws are fine.
:D
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

New Orleans. I was there on business but saw Bourbon Street, popular restaurants and sites. I could not believe that was all there was there. It was a very unsavory place.

My biggest travel disappointment was Rome. I spent a week in Tuscany and enjoyed it, including Florence, a lovely, compact city. I then went to Rome for 5 days. I was really disappointed. I can appreciate art museums and old churches for a day or two, but not everyday. The coliseum was a huge disappointment. The food was nothing special except that my hotel had a great breakfast and was across the plaza from the Pantheon. I saw better Roman ruins in Jordan than in Rome. I took a (long) day trip to the Amalfi coast which I thoroughly enjoyed and would love to go back there some day.
camden

Post by camden »

Agree totally with Disney and anything Disney. Guess I can understand its attraction for children, but why on earth adults would go there on their own (and know some adults who have gone multiple times) in preference to all of the great places they could be going for the same money baffles me. For my interests and tastes, wouldn’t go near the place; if I were Dante reincarnated, would have to open a new circle in Hades for it.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

Nassau Bahama's - we avoid this at all costs.
Colorado14

Post by Colorado14 »

I didn't love Dublin. It was cold and dirty, although this was years ago and maybe it's cleaner these days. I don't love dampness and cold, which isn't Dublin's fault, yet it made for unpleasant times. Cold weather clothing is likely much better than it was 20 years ago, so my goofy complaint about the weather is likely moot.

We visited interesting historical sites, but I wouldn't go back.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

camden wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:59 am Agree totally with Disney and anything Disney. Guess I can understand its attraction for children, but why on earth adults would go there on their own (and know some adults who have gone multiple times) in preference to all of the great places they could be going for the same money baffles me. For my interests and tastes, wouldn’t go near the place; if I were Dante reincarnated, would have to open a new circle in Hades for it.
"why on earth adults would go there on their own (and know some adults who have gone multiple times) in preference to all of the great places they could be going for the same money baffles me"

FWIW - For a couple for 2 days and one night.... travel/tickets/hotel less than $100.
You would need to add food at whatever the personal choices might be.
leonidas

Post by leonidas »

Disney resorts seems to be a common destination that rates low on many posters comments. I'm in that camp too. I've been there 4 times over 20 years and I enjoyed it less each time. So glad the kids aged out of wanting to there. Been to Athens Greece a few times, usually as a precursor to traveling to the Islands and I'm not a huge fan (being a Spartan did you expect anything less :D ). Its kind of dirty and I enjoyed my time to the ruins the first time but I could not wait to get out during my latest trip.
BrooklynInvest

Post by BrooklynInvest »

Awesome question. Am taking notes...

I've done a lot of road trips on my motorcycle and have made a point of going off the beaten path at times. Lends itself to awesome discoveries... and some not so awesome discoveries.

Bad stops

Brownfield TX. Miserable. I mean, it was never billed as a tourist destination but you asked ;-)
Hope Arkansas. A dry county seemingly full of drunk people when I was there. Worst Mexican food I've ever eaten
Jackson Mississippi. It was Sunday. It was closed.

Good discoveries

The VLA in New Mexico
Truth or Consequences New Mexico. Stayed in a spa/discount motel overlooking the Mississipi. Yeah I know.
Marfa TX - what fun! Reborn around the arts so a mix of "where the heck am I?" and beautiful galleries, restaurants and a really nice hotel

Overseas, we've never had a bad trip thankfully. We usually have a local guide for the first day, shows us the ropes and off we go. Rome was incredible, Porto the same. We went to a little island called Sifnos as part of our honeymoon - idyllic.

EDIT: We also went to Santorini on our honeymoon. Certainly not my least favorite spot in the world - it certainly is beautiful and getting into the countryside was great. But the crowds from the cruise ships during the day were a turnoff. Wouldn't go back, but would definitely explore other islands.
Last edited by BrooklynInvest on Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

camden wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:59 am ......... but why on earth adults would go there on their own (and know some adults who have gone multiple times) in preference to all of the great places they could be going for the same money baffles me.....
It is cult like. Perhaps they drank too much of the mouses Kool-aid as kids! ;) I don't get it either.
cheapindexer

Post by cheapindexer »

Definitely Atlantis Bahamas

Must say the kids liked it though

Overpriced joke of a resort with garbage food accommodations

After kids saw 10,000 commercials for it felt obliged

Literally ANYWHERE else is 10 times better including Turks and Caicos / st Lucia / caymans / Barbados / Puerto Rico /

Dominican and especially Costa Rica and Belize

We actually turned down a sweet deal in Atlantis dubai to stay at Jumeirah for much more - I couldn’t risk another crappy Atlantis stay
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

leonidas wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:18 am Disney resorts seems to be a common destination that rates low on many posters comments. I'm in that camp too. I've been there 4 times over 20 years and I enjoyed it less each time. So glad the kids aged out of wanting to there. Been to Athens Greece a few times, usually as a precursor to traveling to the Islands and I'm not a huge fan (being a Spartan did you expect anything less :D ). Its kind of dirty and I enjoyed my time to the ruins the first time but I could not wait to get out during my latest trip.
Visited Athens on a cruise a few months back. Loved the Acropolis but I doubt I'd have any desire to ever go back to Athens. Same with Rome. The best thing about Rome was our day trip to Orvieto. Going to the Trevi Fountain was like visiting Times Square (another vastly overrated destination). Way, way too crowded. Much preferred Florence to Rome.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

carolinaman wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:56 am New Orleans.
Totally forgot about this one, agree!
marti038

Post by marti038 »

Anywhere there are lots of people.

Disney, major cities, and national parks in California.

Sequoia was particularly disappointing. Both because of the crowds and the woefully inefficient way the park service herded visitors around like cattle in their slow shuttles. Yosemite had poor shuttle service too, but we didn't need it as much.

Zion was a bit disappointing due to the crowds and having to wait in long lines early in the morning for the shuttles. Felt like we were at Disney again.

Went to Israel in 2010 and did not enjoy it. It was crowded and the people were rude.
Last edited by marti038 on Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Having, first, gained all you can, and, secondly saved all you can, then give all you can.” - John Wesley
mhc

Post by mhc »

Don't stay in Hanksville if you go to Capitol Reef NP.

French Quarter in New Orleans. There are some nice things there, but it really is a cesspool.

Aspen, Co. The area around Aspen is amazing and great. I just find the town very strange for a Colorado mountain town. Not for me.

Breckenridge, Co. People from out of state need somewhere to go, but I'm not going again.

Biscayne Bay NP. Really? The film in the visitor center made it sound like it was only created to stop development. It is my least favorite NP that I have ever visited.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

runner3081 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:48 am
I assume that you weren't there during the Jazz and Heritage Festival.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
BattyNatty

Post by BattyNatty »

India. I've spent a good bit of time in other SE Asia and developing countries and just never experienced anything like it. We always prefer independent travel and making our own way around at our own pace. India was the one place that in retrospect would have been better to just see from a tour bus... (to avoid all the touts and staring and accosting and attempted scams).
Bmac

Post by Bmac »

If not my least favorite, certainly the most underwhelming travel experience was Mount Rushmore. I realize creating it must have been quite a feat, but in person it just felt a bit overrated. Particularly given the lengths required to get there.
marti038

Post by marti038 »

mhc wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:56 am Biscayne Bay NP. Really? The film in the visitor center made it sound like it was only created to stop development. It is my least favorite NP that I have ever visited.
The bar for being named a national park seems to get lower and lower. At one time, we wanted to hit them all, but there are several that don't look like they're worth going out of your way to see.
“Having, first, gained all you can, and, secondly saved all you can, then give all you can.” - John Wesley
GT99

Post by GT99 »

Love this thread...and love all the Disney comments, as that was my first thought. I have 2 young daughters and we've been to Disney World I think 5 times in the last 7 years. And I hate it. I mean, we've stayed at a couple of resorts that were nice and had some great activities (e.g. water park), but the parks themselves are hell. Adults going to the Magic Kingdom without kids might be the single most baffling concept to wrap my head around that I've ever encountered. Why would anyone pay that much to stand in long lines for mostly crummy rides and poor excuses for food? Orlando as a city otherwise is pretty generic.

Not sure Jackson, MS qualifies as a "vacation destination" but there is no reason to ever go there. We went for a wedding. Walking out to a bar after the wedding I commented that it felt like we were walking through a scene in the Walking Dead. Most shops were empty and had broken windows, etc, garbage everywhere.

I'd would add Jamaica, specifically away from inclusive resorts (I know they have many great resorts). We made the mistake of staying at a small "boutique" hotel on Seven Mile Beach. The constant barrage of vendors on the beach made it extremely unpleasant, service everywhere we went was miserable, food was bad, etc. Worst beach trip I've ever had, and I've had many.
GT99

Post by GT99 »

Bmac wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:07 am If not my least favorite, certainly the most underwhelming travel experience was Mount Rushmore. I realize creating it must have been quite a feat, but in person it just felt a bit overrated. Particularly given the lengths required to get there.
Never been to Mt Rushmore, but I've found a lot of that with specific things to look at, like Stonehenge. The history and stuff can be fascinating, but seeing it in person isn't much different than seeing pictures.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

Puerto Rico.

Tim
oxothuk

Post by oxothuk »

BrooklynInvest wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:19 am Truth or Consequences New Mexico. Stayed in a spa/discount motel overlooking the Mississipi.
You must have been on a VERY high floor. I’ve only ever been able to see the Rio Grande.
Bogle7

Orlando

Post by Bogle7 »

Orlando with its crappy hotels, terrible food, and horribly expensive amusement parks.
Once was more than enough.
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

keith6014 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:50 am
As an engineer I was impressed with Disney's operations. But as a parent I wasn't so thrilled. I think its a miserable place.

(great thread BTW).
I think the fact that I'm an engineer makes Disney unenjoyable to me. The last time i went was in college and i felt like a widget on an assembly line and could see the trade studies done to extract money. The food was just stupidly expensive for what you get, the only decent "deal" was the mickey shaped chocolate covered ice cream bars. The production values and rides are nice.
praxis

Post by praxis »

Some people enjoy Disney-clean streets and trains that run on time-other people accept a little more grit in their Bohemia. All a matter of taste. Our most remembered vacations often include unplanned, off-the-trail adventures.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Las Vegas is a love it or hate it place. We hate it. Loud, and filled with crowds of drunk people and cigarette smoke. A few nice restaurants, though.
praxis

Post by praxis »

oxothuk wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:39 am
BrooklynInvest wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:19 am Truth or Consequences New Mexico. Stayed in a spa/discount motel overlooking the Mississipi.
You must have been on a VERY high floor. I’ve only ever been able to see the Rio Grande.
:happy
Nver2Late

Post by Nver2Late »

SmileyFace wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:46 am We have found interesting things to see and do in nearly every destination we have been to all around the US, Europe and Asia so this one is hard for me to answer BUT if I had to pick a least favorite I would say some of the Carribean beach vacations I have been on. I can't spend more that a couple of days baking in the sun drinking rum drinks reading books before I need to do something else (and all the beach attractions get old quickly). I realize I am in the minority here.
+1 This is spot on.
JD2775

Post by JD2775 »

Call me crazy, but any vacation that involves just sitting on a beach every day. Bored to tears.
OffGridder

Post by OffGridder »

Anywhere near a cruise ship port.
"Goodness is the only investment that never fails." | H.D. Thoreau
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

Included would have to be most of the coastal Florida vacation spots, east or west coast. Lots of traffic, need to get in your car to do anything and the scarcity (or hard to find) hole in the wall restos put me off. The Gulf Coast is a bit of an exception.
Spent a few weeks west of Orlando bicycling. This was decent but the auto drivers seem to have a penchant for crowding bicyclists, not very friendly.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

GT99 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:20 am
Bmac wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:07 am If not my least favorite, certainly the most underwhelming travel experience was Mount Rushmore. I realize creating it must have been quite a feat, but in person it just felt a bit overrated. Particularly given the lengths required to get there.
Never been to Mt Rushmore, but I've found a lot of that with specific things to look at, like Stonehenge. The history and stuff can be fascinating, but seeing it in person isn't much different than seeing pictures.
Yup, I totally had the same feelings with Mt Rushmore, the Alamo, and most of the historic sites I've visited in Europe (including Stonehenge).

A lot of similar sentiments in this thread; I mentioned Rome, Cancun, Las Vegas, New Orleans, and Disney earlier in the thread and it seems like a lot of us agree.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:59 am
Nope, those aren't my types of events. I found the city to be filthy and not anywhere I would ever go back to. Even the river is dirty brown.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

I live on the east coast. I think trips to Oahu are a waste of time and money. Mexico is much better in my opinion.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

runner3081 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:40 am
TomatoTomahto wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:59 am
Nope, those aren't my types of events. I found the city to be filthy and not anywhere I would ever go back to. Even the river is dirty brown.
I was absolutely shocked how filthy and disgusting New Orleans was.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

We have loved New Orleans in the past, but it is changed place now that several friends who also loved it and have returned recently say they will not visit again.

Tim