Costco Mexico Resort recommendations

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
kayaken

Costco Mexico Resort recommendations

Post by kayaken »

Hi there,

Looking for some recommendations from the board. Wife and I are about to be empty nesters next fall. We have twin daughters going to college and the past 17 years has been centered around raising them correctly and catering to their needs. I'm trying to plan a trip just the two of us to Mexico as a big reward and looking to use Costco based on their good reviews. I've narrowed down to a couple of choices: Cozumel, Cancun and Riveria Maya shoreline. We definitely want to spend a couple of days snorkling and just sitting on the beach, but knowing us, we'll get ancy and want to see some of the cultural attractions. Any recommendations?

Florida may be an option depending on what the total bill is, but Mexico is our top choice.

Thanks,
galawdawg

Re: Costco Mexico Resort recommendations

Post by galawdawg »

Cozumel and Riviera Maya are good destinations for snorkeling. That being said, there are currently travel advisories for Mexico and Jamaica due to crime and violence. Unless you are "locked into" Mexico as a destination, you may want to take a look at some of the Caribbean islands like Bonaire, Curacao, Grand Cayman, Turks & Caicos and the Virgin Islands. All have great snorkeling and a range of resort options.
like2read

Post by like2read »

We've visited a number of Caribbean destinations and have always enjoyed Mexico the most. We like the Mayan Riviera - great all around destination: snorkeling/diving, great and many resort options, family oriented, close to historic sites, warm people and great food.

Would recommend you check out Trip Advisor . com for more detail, reviews and nuance.

I view the crime thing in the popular resort areas much like going to NYC. Sure it is a thing, but we just stay where we should and use common sense.

Check out US State Dept warning site for more detail:
https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... isory.html

Frankly I would be more concerned about whether or not the excess beach sea weed situation is going on or not.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

galawdawg wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:26 am Cozumel and Riviera Maya are good destinations for snorkeling. That being said, there are currently travel advisories for Mexico and Jamaica due to crime and violence. Unless you are "locked into" Mexico as a destination, you may want to take a look at some of the Caribbean islands like Bonaire, Curacao, Grand Cayman, Turks & Caicos and the Virgin Islands. All have great snorkeling and a range of resort options.
I have a friend who is really into snorkeling/diving. He goes to Bonaire every year. I might be misremembering this, but I think he said it’s the best you can get. He and his family are certified, so I think maybe he’s doing a lot more than the typical tourist snorkeling I’ve done in Mexico.

Anyway, it sounds like Bonaire might be worth a bit of research for you.
Bonaire is renowned for its excellent scuba diving and snorkeling. Its waters are a national park designated by the National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration as having not only the Caribbean’s most pristine reef environment but also the most species of fish. Incredibly, the reef sits just a few feet from the coastline, making first-class dive sites remarkably accessible. Above the surface, visitors can take their pick of watersports, including fishing, sailing, world-class windsurfing, kitesurfing, and kayaking the island’s mangrove system. Birdwatching, hiking, caving, and rope climbing Bonaire’s limestone walls are popular, land-based experiences.
teCh0010

Post by teCh0010 »

Grand Velas Rivera Maya is fantastic. I haven’t been since Covid but before Covid it was the bast all inclusive I’ve been to. Service was head and shoulders above most of the others I’ve been to.
Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k »

teCh0010 wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:40 am Grand Velas Rivera Maya is fantastic. I haven’t been since Covid but before Covid it was the bast all inclusive I’ve been to. Service was head and shoulders above most of the others I’ve been to.
We went to the Grand Velas, Riviera Vallarta, outside of Puerto Vallarta. Fantastic experience, service, resort amenities, and food. Downside: on the Pacific side.

Our favorite Mexico vacations were Cozumel and Isla Mujeres - I'd go back to Isla Mujeres any time, but DH will not, given recent criminal issues.

When we went to Playa del Carmen a few years ago, crime was a problem. So much so that Trip Advisor forums were telling folks to print out a card in advance - to give to the cops WHEN you were pulled over - that said "I won't pay a fine at the side of the road, I will go to the police department to pay it instead." DH decided he would NOT drive in Playa del Carmen as a result. We hired a driver and guide to get us from the resort to Tulum and cenote snorkeling instead, from a Trip Advisor listing. The owner chose to have no physical presence in downtown Playa del Carmen, due to shakedowns.

We heard from shopkeepers along 5th Ave. that they paid off the cops, to ensure "protection." And a couple of years ago, there was a shootout at the ferry station, where tourists go to get from Playa del Carmen to Cozumel.

As a result, Mexico is currently off our list. But if it were on our list, I would highly recommend Isla Mujeres. With a golf cart for the week. ;)
safari

Post by safari »

teCh0010 wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:40 am Grand Velas Rivera Maya is fantastic. I haven’t been since Covid but before Covid it was the bast all inclusive I’ve been to. Service was head and shoulders above most of the others I’ve been to.
We stayed at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit (Puerto Vallarta) in May of this year, and it was the best all inclusive resort we ever stayed at. The service, the restaurants, the pool - everything was top notch. We were there for 7 days and never stepped our feet outside of the resort, except for the miles long walks along the beach. You get assigned a personal concierge, who you can call or text for anything. The restaurants are really nice, you can see the prices of all entries on the menu because people from outside the resort can also dine there, but it's nice to be able to order anything in any quantities and not thinking about the cost. They still bring you a check at the end with $0 balance, as they credit you for 100% of the order, but it was interesting to see how much our meal cost. On average our dinners were over $100 per person.

If you set your eyes on Cancun, I can recommend Excellence Playa Mujeres and Beloved Playa Mujeres. And of course, Grand Velas Riviera Maya.

By the way, you can often get better deals by booking with the hotels directly, as they often run promotions. For example, Excellence Playa Mujeres is currently offering up to 43% off on next summer stays:

https://www.excellenceresorts.com/cancu ... ya-mujeres
JimmyD

Post by JimmyD »

We've been to the Hard Rock resort in Cancun twice now and recommend it highly. Food, drinks, beach, pools, service, all fantastic. We book via Costco as well. I actually just spent the $400 gift card we received from our last trip in September.
sedaliachris

Post by sedaliachris »

Thanks like2read ... I'm changing my trip to Baja as a result of the State Dep warning of "crime and kidnapping".
WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs »

A couple to consider,
Isla Mujeres- There are some nice resorts on the playa. We went to go see the whale sharks. If you go early Sept. you might be interested in taking a boat out to snorkel with them. We stayed at Aluxes Privileges but there are others near that location that looked good. I like the beach in that area.

Puerto Morelos- Marine Sanctuary for snorkel/diving. All inclusive area. Nice little town.

Akumal- Excellent snorkeling from main beach and yal ku lagoon. There are also nearby cenotes to explore. Can day visit ruins at Tulum.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX
bberris

Post by bberris »

In Puerto Morelos, you can take your own gear and have great snorkeling for free on the beach. Or you can pay a small price for a boat ride out to the reef. The fish are just as good from the beach, but the coral is better on the reef.

There are pricey all inclusives there, but there are also lots of small hotels and great restaurants.
hvaclorax

Post by hvaclorax »

Agree with all the others in steering away from Mexico. Possibly a large resort with only tourists, think fully packaged plan from trusted travel agent. They want good reviews and return customers. Otherwise I’d stay away from Mexico.
HVAC
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

The State Department has issued an updated travel advisory for Quintana Roo, MX after recent violence involving attacks on Uber drivers and passengers. Quintana Roo includes Cancún, the islands of Cozumel and Isla Mujeres, and the towns of Bacalar, Playa del Carmen and Akumal, as well as the ancient Maya ruins of Chacchoben, Cobá, Kohunlich, Muyil, Tulum, Xel-Há, and Xcaret.

As noted in the advisory, "Violent crime – such as homicide, kidnapping, carjacking, and robbery – is widespread and common in Mexico."