What should I be looking for in a new TV?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
stilllurking

Post by stilllurking »

I'm upgrading from a 46" TV from over 10 years ago so I don't even know what type of TV it is. However, my head is spinning with LED, UHD, QLED, OLED, mini LED and the other acronyms.

We don't use a TV much, maybe a few hours on weekends to watch a few streamed movies or something on Netflix. We also have Nintendo Wii and Switch that we will use the TV for off and on.

The largest TV my wall will fit is a 75" so I am looking for that size specifically. The room is relatively bright with windows on two of the walls so I'm thinking OLED may not be the best choice. I'm also hoping to spend no more than $1000. I know I can get a lot of LED TVs for way under that price point, but the question is, should I go with an LED? Would the upgrade to a QLED be that much better than an LED/UHD when I'm coming from a tiny TV to begin with?

Hoping to see what deals are out there for Friday and Cyber Monday sales.
rich126

Re: What should I be looking for in a new TV?

Post by rich126 »

Personally if I was buying a tv now, I would want an OLED TV and would rather have a smaller OLED TV than a larger LED or QLED TV. Fortunately my old Plasma TVs are still going well after 15 yrs. Hoping they will last until we move into a retirement home in a year.

Good luck (and I can't imagine a 75" TV).
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

Honestly, get the cheapest 75" you can find on a good brand (samsung, vizio, sony, LG). I would get it at Costco. Despite all the marketing for the specs for your TV, it is meaningless when your source is limited to 1080p or 4k. Even Google's latest Chromecast device only supports 1080p and not 4k.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
MN-Investor

Post by MN-Investor »

I don't know if the article from TheWirecutter will help, but it might answer some of your questions - The Best TVs
The key to success - Save early, save often, invest well.
Watty

Post by Watty »

stilllurking wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:05 pm The largest TV my wall will fit is a 75" so I am looking for that size specifically.
You can get a TV that is too large for your viewing distance. You can find viewing distance charts on the internet so check to make sure that it is not too large for the viewing distance you will have. If you are going to mount it on a wall also read up on the correct height to mount it at.

Figure out just how you will get to home from the store. Most of them will say on the box to not lay them flat, like in the back of a pickup, take that seriously. Getting a large TV up or down stairs can be tricky.

Order plenty of cables ahead of time when you can order them and read the reviews and get a good price. If you have to buy cables them where you get the TV they will likely charge you a very high price for mediocre cables.

Be aware that some "TV"s are not really a "TV" since they do not have a tuner for using an antenna for over the air broadcasts. If receiving over the air broadcast is something you want to do then make sure it actually has a tuner.
Make sure that it has all the connectors that you will need. Sometimes the Black Friday specials will be stripped down versions with limited connections.

Plan on buying a sound bar or some sort of sound system. The tiny speakers that are built into most TV's are lame and only really useful for making sure the sound is working.
enad

Post by enad »

stilllurking wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:05 pm I'm upgrading from a 46" TV from over 10 years ago so I don't even know what type of TV it is. However, my head is spinning with LED, UHD, QLED, OLED, mini LED and the other acronyms.

We don't use a TV much, maybe a few hours on weekends to watch a few streamed movies or something on Netflix. We also have Nintendo Wii and Switch that we will use the TV for off and on.

The largest TV my wall will fit is a 75" so I am looking for that size specifically. The room is relatively bright with windows on two of the walls so I'm thinking OLED may not be the best choice. I'm also hoping to spend no more than $1000. I know I can get a lot of LED TVs for way under that price point, but the question is, should I go with an LED? Would the upgrade to a QLED be that much better than an LED/UHD when I'm coming from a tiny TV to begin with?

Hoping to see what deals are out there for Friday and Cyber Monday sales.
What's wrong with the 46" TV?
What Goes Up Must come down -- David Clayton-Thomas (1968), BST
Bogle7

OLED

Post by Bogle7 »

During the “Covid experience”, we decided to upgrade from our 55-inch Panasonic plasma TV.
So, we bought an LG OLED 77-inch TV, Yamaha receiver, KEF speakers (5).
$8000 and worth it. I never intend to set foot in a cinema again.
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
ForeverPunjabi

Post by ForeverPunjabi »

harrychan wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:35 pm Honestly, get the cheapest 75" you can find on a good brand (samsung, vizio, sony, LG). I would get it at Costco. Despite all the marketing for the specs for your TV, it is meaningless when your source is limited to 1080p or 4k. Even Google's latest Chromecast device only supports 1080p and not 4k.
I second buying a reasonably priced TV. I bought an expensive Samsung a 7+ years ago. Conked our after a couple of years. Bought an (expensive) LG OLED TV a couple of years ago. Got burn in on the screen and need to replace soon. Of course that's my experience and others will have the opposite. Nevertheless I won't be buying an expensive TV's going forwards.
enad

Post by enad »

While supplies last through 11/28, you can pick up a Samsung 65" LED TV at Costco for $449.99 delivered. It's 4K, has a 3 year warranty and comes with an HDMI cable. if you don't like it, keep your box and return it to any Costco (bring your receipt)
What Goes Up Must come down -- David Clayton-Thomas (1968), BST
FellsGuy

Post by FellsGuy »

One small thing to keep in mind depending on size and set up of your room with cheaper TV's is viewing angle small thing that can make a huge difference depending again on the room set up.
“Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six , result happiness. | Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery”
onourway

Post by onourway »

harrychan wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:35 pm Honestly, get the cheapest 75" you can find on a good brand (samsung, vizio, sony, LG). I would get it at Costco. Despite all the marketing for the specs for your TV, it is meaningless when your source is limited to 1080p or 4k. Even Google's latest Chromecast device only supports 1080p and not 4k.
Cheap tv's look dramatically worse on all content, especially older, low bitrate content where digital artifacts are made clearly visible.

I realize most people don't notice/don't care - the vast majority of TV's I see in other people's homes are overly bright with the color cranked way up on the default 'showroom' or 'vivid' setting. However a good tv, properly calibrated, with all of the motion interpolation settings, etc. turned off looks far more natural - if you care about this stuff. Today, that pretty much means OLED although I don't keep up with the latest offerings because our plasma tv's are still working flawlessly.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

rich126 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:30 pm Personally if I was buying a tv now, I would want an OLED TV and would rather have a smaller OLED TV than a larger LED or QLED TV. Fortunately my old Plasma TVs are still going well after 15 yrs. Hoping they will last until we move into a retirement home in a year.

I feel the same way, OLED is the way to go. Though I am still using the same LED TV from 9 years ago.
student

Post by student »

Given that you are confused with the acronyms, I assume that you are not a videophile. So just get the cheapest TV from one of the following: Sony, Samsung and LG. Note that some "former" name brands such as Toshiba should be avoided as the name is licensed out. For example, https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-75 ... Id=6401719 Personally, I will get something in this price range. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-75 ... Id=6503079
Last edited by student on Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

I would agree with this. We just bought a 65' TCL for $348 and gave our previous TV (55' TCL) to my little sister; it was absolutely fine after ~7yrs, but we just decided to get something bigger. The new TV looks great after simple tuning. A lot of people are dazzled by OLED, but the difference just isn't dramatic enough for us to justify the cost difference. You can find a TCL/Phillips/Hisense 75' for ~$600, an OLED is going to be $2k or more. OP says their budget is ~$1K, hard to justify doubling that budget.
RobLyons

Post by RobLyons »

You don't need to spend $8,000 for a really great looking tv. What I've found is people tend to over emphasize certain features of TVs, specs, they overspend, and jack the brightness up to match how they look in stores to the point it looks worse than if they had left it on normal factory settings or calibrated the unit properly.

You are shopping for a tv at a great time of year. Black Friday is tomorrow (or available now online!)

Deals:
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/best-70- ... 00105.html

I personally would check out the LG G2 OLED. But if I couldn't find it, I'd read online reviews, browse what's local to see what I personally like, shopping at stores such as Best Buy, Costco, and any local electronic stores. I trust certain online reviews, and as you can see from this one, not one TV above $1,650:

https://www.cnet.com/tech/home-entertainment/best-tv/

Same here:
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-tvs,review-2224.html

If you don't care for my budget advice above, want the best of the best, and you have $5k burning a hole in your pocket, then you won't be disappointed with:

75” Class QN900B Samsung Neo QLED 8K Smart TV

https://www.samsung.com/us/televisions- ... raACq4Pimw

Hope this helps!
"Great parenting sets the foundation for a better world"
focoyolo

Post by focoyolo »

I was in a similar situation two years ago after my 10 year old, 50" plasma TV developed a line of stuck pixels. I debated between 65" and 75", and expensive vs. cheaper models. I decided on the 75" Sony X900H and have been very happy with it. I don't watch TV very much but really enjoy the size and quality of this model. The current model is X90K, and it is now on sale for $1500. For $1000, you could get the Sony X85K, which is very similar but does not have full-array local dimming (FALD). In the store, I'm not able to tell the difference between the two models, but I think FALD makes for a better movie-watching experience at home in a dark room. I bought the TV at Costco, and they delivered the box to my basement. Unwrapping and setting up takes two people, but it was not difficult. Costco also offers a longer warranty than other stores. rtings.com is a great review site, and they have an excellent feature that allows you to compare two models side-by-side. Happy shopping! If you don't want to make a quick decision, I was able to find Black Friday prices in April (when new models get released).
Pugs1351

Post by Pugs1351 »

onourway wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:41 am
Cheap tv's look dramatically worse on all content, especially older, low bitrate content where digital artifacts are made clearly visible.

I realize most people don't notice/don't care - the vast majority of TV's I see in other people's homes are overly bright with the color cranked way up on the default 'showroom' or 'vivid' setting. However a good tv, properly calibrated, with all of the motion interpolation settings, etc. turned off looks far more natural - if you care about this stuff. Today, that pretty much means OLED although I don't keep up with the latest offerings because our plasma tv's are still working flawlessly.
Any guide on how to properly calibrate?
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Pugs1351 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:13 am
onourway wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:41 am

Any guide on how to properly calibrate?
“Properly” calibrating a TV requires equipment and an experienced calibrator; very expensive and not recommended for most BH.

A “good enough” calibration can be done using your eyeballs and referring to Owner’s threads on AVSforum.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

ForeverPunjabi wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:51 am
I second buying a reasonably priced TV. I bought an expensive Samsung a 7+ years ago. Conked our after a couple of years. Bought an (expensive) LG OLED TV a couple of years ago. Got burn in on the screen and need to replace soon. Of course that's my experience and others will have the opposite. Nevertheless I won't be buying an expensive TV's going forwards.
Yep. The TV I am using now is a 60" Vizio M-class TV I got at costco for $550. This was 7 years ago. My friend got the 70" Samsung with all of the bells and whistles for $5000 and I honestly can't tell you the difference. If anything, we prefer ours as it isn't as bright or sharp. Sometimes too much can be a strain to the eyes.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

anon_investor wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:43 am
rich126 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:30 pm Personally if I was buying a tv now, I would want an OLED TV and would rather have a smaller OLED TV than a larger LED or QLED TV. Fortunately my old Plasma TVs are still going well after 15 yrs. Hoping they will last until we move into a retirement home in a year.

I feel the same way, OLED is the way to go. Though I am still using the same LED TV from 9 years ago.
I am not going to disagree that OLED is great, but I wouldn't dismiss Samsung QLED out of hand. I ended up picking a QLED over OLED recently and I am very pleased.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

I totally disagree. I think there are visible differences in the bare bones editions versus the mid-range and higher models of the same manufacturer. Personally, I have found the built-in streaming apps to be great not sure why someone would be using and external device with a new TV.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

harrychan wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:05 am
ForeverPunjabi wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:51 am
Yep. The TV I am using now is a 60" Vizio M-class TV I got at costco for $550. This was 7 years ago. My friend got the 70" Samsung with all of the bells and whistles for $5000 and I honestly can't tell you the difference. If anything, we prefer ours as it isn't as bright or sharp. Sometimes too much can be a strain to the eyes.
For $5,000 I assume it is an 8K TV so the question is what was the resolution on the feed. You can get a higher end Samsung QLED 75" for half that.
pindevil

Post by pindevil »

TheTimeLord wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:09 am

I am not going to disagree that OLED is great, but I wouldn't dismiss Samsung QLED out of hand. I ended up picking a QLED over OLED recently and I am very pleased.
Can't go wrong with QLED if you want a bright picture and long lifespan. OLED if you want the absolute best picture quality and don't mind the lower brightness level.
Topic Author
stilllurking

Post by stilllurking »

Thanks for the great tips and suggestions everyone!
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

I purchased a Samsung Neo-QLED TV specifically because I was putting it in a very bright room and because of excellent performance at wide viewing angles. I am extremely pleased with it and have always had good luck with Samsung TVs.

Costco currently has my 65" model on sale for $1599.99 (model QN90BD). A 75" would cost considerably more. I find the 65" to be plenty large when viewing it from about 13' away.

Correction.....I looked back and mine is the QN85 which is $1399.00, not the QN90.
Last edited by FrugalInvestor on Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Compare prices carefully. Particularly at the smaller sizes (55 inches), a Samsung QLED is only a little bit cheaper or the same cost as an OLED, and in picture quality it's not even remotely close.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

02nz wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:05 pm

Compare prices carefully. Particularly at the smaller sizes (55 inches), a Samsung QLED is only a little bit cheaper or the same cost as an OLED, and in picture quality it's not even remotely close.
A Neo-QLED TV is superior to OLED for bright rooms which is what the OP stated he is dealing with.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
02nz

Post by 02nz »

FrugalInvestor wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:09 pm
02nz wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:05 pm

A Neo-QLED TV is superior to OLED for bright rooms which is what the OP stated he is dealing with.
Yes people keep saying this. But OLEDs have gotten brighter (esp. the ones with LG's "Evo" panels and Samsung's own QD-OLEDs), and in all but the very brightest rooms, they're more than bright enough. Note also that it's only the top-end QLED models - which can cost MORE than OLED - which can claim a huge advantage in eye-searing brightness over OLED.