Another dress shirt thread

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
GG

Another dress shirt thread

Post by GG » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:00 am

Sorry, I know there have been a couple dress shirt discussion in the past, but I'd like to see if anyone has suggestions.

I am "young" (maybe not as young as I think) and I'm really having a tough time finding nice shirts to meet my criteria. I've favored styles like Banana Republic for many years, though I'm finding they don't fit as well as they used to since they come in only a couple sizes.

1 - I'd like something with style.

I wear suits, so typically it's blues and whites and occassional patterns, but I would like something with style - pin stripes, paslies, etc. Dark suits, nice shirt and colorful ties. I need a collar that's more european cut rather than pointed inward and long. If I tie a nice knot, I wantthe whole thing to be seen, notunder the collar. French cuff is fine, not required.

2 - Wrinkle free. Must have, no exceptions

3 - Slim fit. I don't need a tent.

Because of the criteria, I broke down and bought a 1/2 dozen Brooks Brothers shirts and I guess they're fine. However they have very limited style choices and the collars are terrible unless you build a custom shirt online for $125. Jos Banks doesn't look any better than BB. And a big no please to lands end, Stafford, van heusen, Eddie Bauer, ll bean, and all those.

The kids at Banana said they have a "wrinkle resistant" which I know is far short of BB wrinkle free, so even though it's a far better style, I like the wrinkle free. I like hugo boss shirts. AT $80 they're a bit expensive, but I've always like their styles and good cuts. I don't know that they have a wrinkle free version or I'd take it for sure. I really like the style of some of the shirts at neiman marcus, nordstroms, etc but the $ gets up there and not a lot of wrinkle free

Maybe I won't find a better reply than the other threads (maybe better posted on some other website?!) but if we can have a multi page thread about $5k watches, someone out there must have a nice suggestion on shirts.

Thanks!
GG

TreeGuy

Post by TreeGuy » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:10 am

A few recommendations that you may want to check out would be:

http://www.paulfredrick.com/
Paul Frederick is online and mail order, they have a wide selection of standard shirts but you may order custom as well.

http://www.tomjames.com/
They are located in most major metropolitan areas but do not have store fronts. They are strictly custom designed.

Both of the above offer more styles and options than you will typically find off the rack. Unless you are very hard to fit I would stick with standard shirts. Expect to pay $125 and up for a custom shirt .

Dagwood

Post by Dagwood » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:06 am

Have you tried Ike Behar? Usually available at Nordstroms. I think they're even made in the U.S. too, if that matters to you.

GG

Post by GG » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:36 am

Thanks for the ideas. I will check those out for sure

leonard

Re: Another dress shirt thread

Post by leonard » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:51 am

GG wrote: 1 - I'd like something with style.
Check out Brooks Brothers. It is one of the few product categories for which I will pay the premium for a high end product. Watch for sales and you can sometimes get a reasonable discount.

As for style, you will have to check them out to see if they meet your criteria for stylish.

However, for Wrinkle Free performance and Slim fit, they are great. They never need to be ironed - at least I have never ironed them. Wash and wear. Saves a bunch of time on ironing.

They also have slim fit or athletic fit - don't remember which they call theirs. eliminates the tent around the waist when tucked in.

Great performing shirt, but your call on whether they are "stylish".
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:03 pm

I have exactly the same 3 requirements for dress shirts that you do. I usually end up with Brooks Brothers shirts though. Not always the most stylish but definitely better than average. They're the best at the wrinkle-free part that I've ever found, and the slim fit is great. I buy them on sale in January each year for around $40-$50 each.

Unfortunately I've found that most of the more stylish shirts from other brands are not wrinkle free. Or if they are wrinkle free, they're nowhere near as good as BB and look like they need "touching up" when taking them out of the dryer.

sage1166

Post by sage1166 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:38 pm

http://www.josabank.com is having a 50% off sale today on everything (no shoes or GCs). Plus here are some coupons around that can take $25 off of $100 (sale or regular price) or $100 off of $400: http://f.chtah.com/i/41/398002746/GiftF ... dnotes.htm

I've never had a BB wrinkle-free shirt but the JAB wrinkle-frees have all the same qualities as have been mentioned in this thread. Wash & wear, hold up for years, can get a slimmer-cut if necessary, etc. Worth every bit of $35 (if you get 3 during this sale and take off $25).

GG

Post by GG » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:53 pm

I have a 1/2 dozen brooks bros already and I'm looking for an alternative, but thanks for the idea. Jos A Banks is not impressive - at least not any more so that the BB I'm trying to replace

GG

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:03 pm

I know what you are writing about BB shirts. All my dress shirts are from BB. But once you get to slim-fit, you are relegated to about 6 different shirts. And I see you have them all already.

However, BB doesn't sell the same styles all year 'round, so you should look maybe every 3 to 4 months to see if there is some new shirt you like. I think there are maybe 4 collars styles and that's it. Fortunately, I never have to wear a tie, so I don't really care about the knot.

Finally, get a pink shirt. It's my shirt that the ladies like the best.

saurabhec

Post by saurabhec » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:14 pm

GG wrote: I am "young" (maybe not as young as I think) and I'm really having a tough time finding nice shirts to meet my criteria. I've favored styles like Banana Republic for many years, though I'm finding they don't fit as well as they used to since they come in only a couple sizes.
I'm not a big fan of paying ridiculous amounts for shirts. I would also describe myself as somewhat fashion conscious so certainly not a dress slob. The fit of the shirt is the most important part to its looking sharp once the basic elements of color and fabric have been met. I live in Manhattan where I have had good luck in buying $10-$15 shirts from street vendors and small retail stores in certain "bargain" neighborhoods. If you are looking for a reasonably priced mass retail store, I think Express for Men is pretty decent and not expensive.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:56 pm

I am in the same situation, and have gone with a mix of BB, JAB, and Men's Wearhouse slim fit shirts. The Men's Wearhouse shirts require a little more ironing than the BB or JAB, but they hold up OK and offer a little more variety. I have a nice deep burgundy MW no iron slim fit that I like to rotate in on some days.

GG

Post by GG » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:27 pm

saurabhec wrote:
GG wrote: I am "young" (maybe not as young as I think) and I'm really having a tough time finding nice shirts to meet my criteria. I've favored styles like Banana Republic for many years, though I'm finding they don't fit as well as they used to since they come in only a couple sizes.
I'm not a big fan of paying ridiculous amounts for shirts. I would also describe myself as somewhat fashion conscious so certainly not a dress slob. The fit of the shirt is the most important part to its looking sharp once the basic elements of color and fabric have been met. I live in Manhattan where I have had good luck in buying $10-$15 shirts from street vendors and small retail stores in certain "bargain" neighborhoods. If you are looking for a reasonably priced mass retail store, I think Express for Men is pretty decent and not expensive.
Agreed. I'm not a big fan of paying good money. But I had a revelation a number of years ago. I used to by at TJMaxx - get middle of the road name brands when they were overrun or imperfect. Usually $10-$20. Then I bought 2 "pricey" $50 shirts for 2 weddings. And the funny thing is that I wore the shirts I loved 3 or 4 times as often as the cheaper shirts. So, per year, the nicer shirts were an even better value. I probably put the cap at the price of BB, but if I had street vendors in town, I'd look there too.

I also do like express. There's not super "sharp" but they're better than lots of other and a good price.

And if I wear a suit 250 days a year, paynig $40 per shirt or $80 is negligible .

I may try some of the custom BB online becuase you can build your own, but forking over $125 per shirt may test my theory above about value.

Sam I Am

Post by Sam I Am » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:38 pm

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

saurabhec

Post by saurabhec » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:38 pm

GG wrote: Agreed. I'm not a big fan of paying good money. But I had a revelation a number of years ago. I used to by at TJMaxx - get middle of the road name brands when they were overrun or imperfect. Usually $10-$20. Then I bought 2 "pricey" $50 shirts for 2 weddings. And the funny thing is that I wore the shirts I loved 3 or 4 times as often as the cheaper shirts. So, per year, the nicer shirts were an even better value. I probably put the cap at the price of BB, but if I had street vendors in town, I'd look there too.
Ah if only we could get TJMaxx and Marshalls where I am, life would be good, you can get some pretty good finds there. I think $50 is well within the realm of reason. It is when prices get to $75 and above that I think it becomes excessive.

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:06 pm

GG wrote: I also do like express. There's not super "sharp" but they're better than lots of other and a good price.
I actually like a lot of the Express styles but they don't have non-iron/wrinkle free. In fact the one Express shirt I own seems to be "wrinke-prone."

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:10 pm

Also, the Joseph A. Bank shirts seem to be cut a bit large for the sizes. I wear a 14.5/32" in Brooks Brothers slim fit, that fits me perfectly. The same size in a Joseph A. Bank shirt looks like I'm drowning in fabric, plus the styles are even more "old man" than Brooks Bros.

Olav2

Post by Olav2 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:36 pm

I personally like the young-brand of Macy's, the label is "INC":

http://www.macys.com/catalog/index.ognc ... 7412054120

Also, H&M and Kenneth Cole have fairly middle of the road prices and younger-cuts.

Driver

Post by Driver » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:33 am

Try bestcustomshirt dot com (can't post a link because I don't have enough posts). I have them make my work shirts and they seem to last and the prices are good.

GG

Post by GG » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:00 am

Driver wrote:Try bestcustomshirt dot com (can't post a link because I don't have enough posts). I have them make my work shirts and they seem to last and the prices are good.
Do you know if they have a wrinkle free option? I didn't see it

Driver

Post by Driver » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:52 pm

I do not know. I've had to iron my shirts. You can call them and ask. They might be able to source some wrinkle free material for you and use your measurements to make the shirts for you.

Drain

Post by Drain » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:24 pm

It's not clear to me if the problem is that BB slim-fits are too limiting or that BB shirts in general are too limiting...in terms of styling, I mean. If the former is the problem, you could buy the traditional or regular/luxury fits and then have a tailor take in the waist. The shirt would wrinkle slightly along the side seams, but no one would notice, and you could iron every once in a while if it bothered you too much.

That's what I would do, except that BB's new one-button cuffs are too big for me.
Darin

Drain

Post by Drain » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:27 pm

Driver wrote:I do not know. I've had to iron my shirts. You can call them and ask. They might be able to source some wrinkle free material for you and use your measurements to make the shirts for you.
You can't just use wrinkle-free material, because the thread you'd use to sew the whole thing together wouldn't be wrinkle-free, so you'd get puckering or whatever at the seams. That's okay in limited spots, but not on every seam.
Darin

GG

Post by GG » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:05 pm

Drain wrote:It's not clear to me if the problem is that BB slim-fits are too limiting or that BB shirts in general are too limiting...in terms of styling, I mean. If the former is the problem, you could buy the traditional or regular/luxury fits and then have a tailor take in the waist. The shirt would wrinkle slightly along the side seams, but no one would notice, and you could iron every once in a while if it bothered you too much.

That's what I would do, except that BB's new one-button cuffs are too big for me.
It's that BB shirts just aren't very cool. They fit nice, but the patterns and styles of cuffs / collars aren't what I would choose.

That said I'm going to wear a BB shirt all 5 days this week.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:02 pm

GG wrote:That said I'm going to wear a BB shirt all 5 days this week.
I'm wearing Tori Richard all 7 days this week. :)

ddb

Post by ddb » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:21 am

I picked up 4 Donald Trump non-iron shirts at Macy's on Saturday morning for a net cost after coupon of $40 + tax. I have two other Donald Trump non-iron shirts and their non-iron "functionality' is about on part with Brooks Brothers. The Trump shirts have a very nice selection of colors and patterns, both with and without french cuffs.

Don't like my Lands End non-iron shirts; they just don't come out of the dryer with that "crisp" look.

- DDB
"We have to encourage a return to traditional moral values. Most importantly, we have to promote general social concern, and less materialism in young people." - PB

gtaylor

Post by gtaylor » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:14 pm

Right, shirts...

The key word is "Jermyn Street", the location in London where most of the better shirt places are based. The Wikipedia article with that name lists them all. These makers will have slimmer fits, more interesting fabrics, better collar choices (particularly the spread style you want), etc. A number of them do business in the US as well, most visibly Thomas Pink and Charles Tyrwhitt. But they'll all ship stock items overseas. Or with airfare to London these days, you could even go there to try stuff on, extravagant as it may sounds.

BB, JAB, LE, and the other obvious US choices have all been covered here, and you seem to have done those experiments. Ditto Nordstrom, where you should try both the John Nordstrom store brand and the various other fashion brands mentioned.

You appear to have made up your mind regarding wrinkle-free. Nevertheless, I feel obligated to try and save you from yourself by pointing out that formaldehyded shirts are not as long-lasting and they don't breathe well at all (in my experience, or more authoritatively according to Consumer Reports, too). They are entirely or almost entirely made outside the US, as it is easier to gas your workers outside the country. You will find that many custom makers do not do wrinkle free, and similarly that many premium off-the-rack lines aren't wrinkle-free (true at BB, JAB, etc). The cloth, the wear, etc, is just better that way. And BB, JAB, etc, are now backpedalling by offering things like "BrooksCool" lines that are thinner wrinkle-free fabric intended not to be so uncomfortable.

Herring123

Post by Herring123 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:21 pm

I favor H&M and Zara for slim fit shirts with "style." I also like Charles Tyrwhitt's slim fit shirts, though these are slightly less "slim" than the European slim fit shirts. I was very unimpressed with my co-workers' Tom James shirts (at a big law firm in NYC) (perhaps the guy did a terrible job taking the measurements, the shirt did not look custom).

will23

Post by will23 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:01 pm

GG wrote: 1 - I'd like something with style.

I wear suits, so typically it's blues and whites and occassional patterns, but I would like something with style - pin stripes, paslies, etc. Dark suits, nice shirt and colorful ties. I need a collar that's more european cut rather than pointed inward and long. If I tie a nice knot, I wantthe whole thing to be seen, notunder the collar. French cuff is fine, not required.

For stylish prints and collars, I have shirts I like from Ike Behar, Hickey Freeman, Paul Fredrick, Polo, Charles Trywhitt. Each have a variety of colorful prints with spread and cutaway collars. Try bluefly.com for designer shirts; they have a lot of shirts that fit your general description. I love BB and LE, but I would stay away from those brands based on what you said you were looking for.

You really don't need to buy a slim fit shirt. Find a shirt you like that fits in the shoulders and has the right arm length and have a tailor take it in. It is an easy $10-20 alteration and will look very sharp.

Why don't you also try the ask Andy about clothes forum for more advice? If you post there give a price range.

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:14 pm

ddb wrote:I picked up 4 Donald Trump non-iron shirts at Macy's on Saturday morning for a net cost after coupon of $40 + tax. I have two other Donald Trump non-iron shirts and their non-iron "functionality' is about on part with Brooks Brothers. The Trump shirts have a very nice selection of colors and patterns, both with and without french cuffs.

Don't like my Lands End non-iron shirts; they just don't come out of the dryer with that "crisp" look.

- DDB
Donald Trump shirts??? you should be embarrassed and ashamed.

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:26 pm

GG wrote:Sorry, I know there have been a couple dress shirt discussion in the past, but I'd like to see if anyone has suggestions.

I am "young" (maybe not as young as I think) and I'm really having a tough time finding nice shirts to meet my criteria. I've favored styles like Banana Republic for many years, though I'm finding they don't fit as well as they used to since they come in only a couple sizes.

1 - I'd like something with style.

Because of the criteria, I broke down and bought a 1/2 dozen Brooks Brothers shirts and I guess they're fine. However they have very limited style choices and the collars are terrible unless you build a custom shirt online for $125. Jos Banks doesn't look any better than BB. And a big no please to lands end, Stafford, van heusen, Eddie Bauer, ll bean, and all those.

The kids at Banana said they have a "wrinkle resistant" which I know is far short of BB wrinkle free, so even though it's a far better style, I like the wrinkle free. I like hugo boss shirts. AT $80 they're a bit expensive, but I've always like their styles and good cuts. I don't know that they have a wrinkle free version or I'd take it for sure. I really like the style of some of the shirts at neiman marcus, nordstroms, etc but the $ gets up there and not a lot of wrinkle free

Maybe I won't find a better reply than the other threads (maybe better posted on some other website?!) but if we can have a multi page thread about $5k watches, someone out there must have a nice suggestion on shirts.

Thanks!
GG
IMO wrinkle free look awful. suck it up and just spend the $2 and get them laundered.

Suits - Hugo Boss "Rossellini/Movie" Cut
Shirts - Banana Slim Fit Stretch Poplin
Ties - Banana
Shoes/Belt - Kenneth Cole New York
Socks - Gold Toe "Canterbury"
Boxers - Banana

good luck.

jcole21

Post by jcole21 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:57 am

I like Banana Republic for style (although, in my opinion, they've fallen off slightly).

Infrequently used solid colors I like Express 1MX. The collar isn't as widely spread as I prefer but they're decent.

For traditional solid colors I like 'Eagle' - you can get two slimfit on eBay for like ~$70. All of my white shirts are 'Eagle' and I've been pleased with their quality. I've heard there wrinkle-free's hold up well.

Pants I prefer Brooks Brothers or Express, not crazy about BB shirts though.

Thomas Pink is alright too. Paul Fredericks shirts have fit me a little 'loose', but they have decent style selection for good prices (particularly contrasting cuff/collar shirts). I dry clean though so my feedback isn't particularly tailored to your situation.
Jeff C.

ddb

Post by ddb » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:29 am

Gekko wrote:
ddb wrote:I picked up 4 Donald Trump non-iron shirts at Macy's on Saturday morning for a net cost after coupon of $40 + tax. I have two other Donald Trump non-iron shirts and their non-iron "functionality' is about on part with Brooks Brothers. The Trump shirts have a very nice selection of colors and patterns, both with and without french cuffs.
Donald Trump shirts??? you should be embarrassed and ashamed.
Why should I be embarrassed? Do you have any suggestions for nicer lower-maintenance shirts that I could have gotten for $10 each?
Gekko wrote:IMO wrinkle free look awful. suck it up and just spend the $2 and get them laundered.
Glad to hear your opinion, but telling somebody to "suck it up" and spend money on something that clearly isn't important to them...I guess I don't really understand your angle here. Apparently everybody should do things the way YOU think they should be done, right?

- DDB
"We have to encourage a return to traditional moral values. Most importantly, we have to promote general social concern, and less materialism in young people." - PB

ddb

Post by ddb » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:31 am

jcole21 wrote:For traditional solid colors I like 'Eagle' - you can get two slimfit on eBay for like ~$70. All of my white shirts are 'Eagle' and I've been pleased with their quality. I've heard there wrinkle-free's hold up well.
I bought two white Eagle shirts w/ french cuffs (non-iron) at Macy's for a net cost of $25 last weekend. They came out of the dryer completely wrinkle-free and fairly crisp-looking, and the one I have worn so far held up perfectly to its first day of use.

- DDB

Rodc

Post by Rodc » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:07 am

Man, some of you guys are really high maintenance!

:o
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.

jcole21

Post by jcole21 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:04 pm

ddb wrote:
jcole21 wrote:For traditional solid colors I like 'Eagle' - you can get two slimfit on eBay for like ~$70. All of my white shirts are 'Eagle' and I've been pleased with their quality. I've heard there wrinkle-free's hold up well.
I bought two white Eagle shirts w/ french cuffs (non-iron) at Macy's for a net cost of $25 last weekend. They came out of the dryer completely wrinkle-free and fairly crisp-looking, and the one I have worn so far held up perfectly to its first day of use.

- DDB
Good feedback - I've scooped up some good deals on white/french at Younkers for around $15-$30 - that's a steal. I've yet to try the non-iron ones but with that info I will.
Jeff C.