Kindle eReader Black Friday upgrade deal

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Kindle eReader Black Friday upgrade deal

Post by LadyGeek »

[Moved into a new thread from: FYI, Kindle Fire Black Friday upgrade deal. --admin LadyGeek]

My 2015 Paperwhite Kindle is available for trade-in. I'm thinking about it.

Login to your account --> Content and devices --> Devices --> Click on device --> Click on link --> Device summary. A box "Device Trade-In Available" is shown. Click on the "Trade-In this device" button and follow the instructions.

I qualify for a $25.00 Amazon gift card and 20% off a new Kindle. Amazon will email me a free UPS return shipping label.

- Terms and Conditions Trade-In: Amazon Devices Accessories
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
02nz

Re: FYI, Kindle Fire Black Friday upgrade deal.

Post by 02nz »

LadyGeek wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:20 pm My 2015 Paperwhite Kindle is available for trade-in. I'm thinking about it.

Login to your account --> Content and devices --> Devices --> Click on device --> Click on link --> Device summary. A box "Device Trade-In Available" is shown. Click on the "Trade-In this device" button and follow the instructions.

I qualify for a $25.00 Amazon gift card and 20% off a new Kindle. Amazon will email me a free UPS return shipping label.

- Terms and Conditions Trade-In: Amazon Devices Accessories
The current Paperwhite is really nice. The display being flush with the bezels makes it much nicer to use IMO. USB-C charging is also nice, and I believe this is also the first model of the Paperwhite with dual-band wifi.
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

02nz wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:33 pm The current Paperwhite is really nice. The display being flush with the bezels makes it much nicer to use IMO. USB-C charging is also nice, and I believe this is also the first model of the Paperwhite with dual-band wifi.
Thanks! Based on reviews (Hands on Review of the Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 16GB Model), I went for the 16 GB Paperwhite. The Linux OS takes up 3 GB, so there's not much left if you go with the 8 GB model. I like to store every book I own on it.

My costs:

Kindle Paperwhite 16 GB, ad-supported $99.99
20% trade-in discount: -$20.00
Instant trade-in gift card credit: -$25.00
Total e-reader: $54.99

Kindle Paperwhite Fabric Cover (11th Generation-2021): $25.99

+ state tax
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Kindle eReader Black Friday upgrade deal

Post by LadyGeek »

My 2015 Kindle was also purchased with ads. One of the complaints I've read is that you still get "suggestions" inside the content even if you pay them the $20 to remove the ads.

The home screen ads are somewhat annoying, but they go away as soon as I start reading.

Also, I always have the Kindle in Airplane mode unless I need to download a new book. I know it will download the ads at that time (along with syncing content), but it's at least a compromise.
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

I'm tempted to do this. I have a paperwhite from 2014 that still works fine.

I might go with the Kids version as my child uses it a decent amount - https://www.amazon.com/Introducing-Kind ... 82&sr=8-15

Is it that much of an upgrade?
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

LadyGeek wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:30 am My costs:

+ state tax
I wonder how you got the instant 20% discount. When I tried, I get the message:
"An additional 20% off any new Kindle E-reader (limit 1 per customer; terms apply) will be applied to your account after we receive and appraise your trade-in"
Maybe they trust you more than me :D

Anyone else run into this?
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I'm wondering if it's based on the model year. Mine is 2015, but yours is 2014.

As for the kids version, you can find online reviews to compare. Google "kindle reviews kids version".
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

ThankYouJack wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:31 am I wonder how you got the instant 20% discount. When I tried, I get the message:
"An additional 20% off any new Kindle E-reader (limit 1 per customer; terms apply) will be applied to your account after we receive and appraise your trade-in"

Another thought - I had the Kindle and cover in my cart before I executed the trade-in. Perhaps Amazon saw I was ready to purchase and applied the info because of that? Also, there was a "Save 20% with Trade-In" box under the price.

I forgot to mention that I went with the "Without Kindle Unlimited" option. I tried it last year and it wasn't worth it. There were too many books that I wanted to read that weren't on the list. Also, I wanted to keep my books - not have them go away when the subscription expires.
CAsage

Post by CAsage »

LadyGeek wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:42 am I forgot to mention that I went with the "Without Kindle Unlimited" option. I tried it last year and it wasn't worth it. There were too many books that I wanted to read that weren't on the list. Also, I wanted to keep my books - not have them go away when the subscription expires.
While I am happy to download what I am currently into (and delete the library copies I'm done with), I also found Kindle Unlimited to be not worth the price. $10/month is ... well, I'm frugal. I have not even begun to exhaust the billions of titles that all the CA public libraries offer, even with the not-everything-Kindle format. These days I mostly only read at night, and almost only on Kindle. I have an Oasis which I adore. But there is that old spare backup paperwhite maybe I need to upgrade that.....
Salvia Clevelandii "Winifred Gilman" my favorite. YMMV; not a professional advisor.
birb

Post by birb »

CAsage wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:37 pm
LadyGeek wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:42 am I forgot to mention that I went with the "Without Kindle Unlimited" option. I tried it last year and it wasn't worth it. There were too many books that I wanted to read that weren't on the list. Also, I wanted to keep my books - not have them go away when the subscription expires.
While I am happy to download what I am currently into (and delete the library copies I'm done with), I also found Kindle Unlimited to be not worth the price. $10/month is ... well, I'm frugal. I have not even begun to exhaust the billions of titles that all the CA public libraries offer, even with the not-everything-Kindle format. These days I mostly only read at night, and almost only on Kindle. I have an Oasis which I adore. But there is that old spare backup paperwhite maybe I need to upgrade that.....
I'm a huge kindle fan, and I agree, I don't like Kindle Unlimited either. Worst "books" ever, in quotes because how can half of those things even be called books? Though I do sometimes take the 3 free month offers that pop up periodically just to see if it's gotten any better (it hasn't). I also read on the Oasis and love it - in fact, the wifi antenna in my old oasis just died to death and I opted to buy a new one of the exact same model (the amazon chat people gave me 20% off after deciding my old oasis was dead). I briefly debated getting the Scribe, but I cannot believe they left off the page turn buttons. Deal breaker for me!
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

Thanks LadyGeek, just traded in my 5 year old Kindle (no backlight) for the latest Paperwhite. It arrives Tuesday!
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
mamster

Post by mamster »

I read this post this morning. Hit up Amazon during a break. Paid $72 (including tax!) for the new Paperwhite and a third-party case after trade-in and discount. Arrived at 2pm. It's terrific! A big step up from my 2015 model. Thank you, LadyGeek!
Lou Sevens

Post by Lou Sevens »

I've had various Kindles for 12 years and love them. The most recent paper white has been excellent with the close to 7" screen and battery life.

Through trade ins last year and a small difference I have a backup paperwhite and an Oasis I use- battery not as long as the PW.

I have a Kindle Scribe 10" on order, and will likely trade the others in - I might cancel the Scribe or eventually trade my remaining 3 for a Scribe as I really want the larger screen.

I've tried reading in the past on my Chromebook via the app- even though it is almost similar to holding a newspaper, I don't like it- I prefer the Eink background.

*I totally agree about the post with unlimited- quality of books there to me is not as great. They do have 3 months for $1 right now though.
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

My brand new Kindle Paperwhite and cover arrived today. The increase to the new 6.8" display makes a noticeable difference. Looks good. I'm also happy they included a USB-C to USB cable.

The setup was relatively painless. Just keep hitting "No thanks" to all the offers.

Pay attention to the Wi-Fi setup. I unchecked the box "Save password to Amazon.com".

There is zero reason that Amazon should have your wi-fi password. Tap on the "Learn more" to find out that your password will be saved securely. OK, but the password is shared according to the terms in the privacy policy. I don't have a good feeling about that.

Also, you have to call customer service to remove the passwords. I can imagine having all your Amazon passwords reset because they didn't understand what you wanted to do...

I'm currently downloading all my books to the new Kindle. Why? It's a backup to the online storage and I have plenty of room.
CloveLeaf

Post by CloveLeaf »

Thank you for this thread! I traded my 2014 in and got a new Paperwhite 16GB with fabric cover, to be delivered this evening! I used the $25 credit and Amex 50% off deal. The trade-in 20% off cannot be stacked with the Amex 50% off
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

One major difference between my 2015 Kindle and the one I just got is the highly annoying "kindle" logo at the bottom of the reader. My eyes can't avoid looking at it. :annoyed

A small piece of black electrical tape covers the logo just fine and is fairly unobtrusive. :happy

My settings to make the reader look like a paperback:

- Compact
- Left-justified alignment
- Font size 2 (default font)
- Bold 1
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

LadyGeek wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:41 pm I'm currently downloading all my books to the new Kindle. Why? It's a backup to the online storage and I have plenty of room.
LadyGeek, thanks for starting as well as updating this post. I was on the fence about upgrading my 2015 Kindle Paperwhite but will likely proceed. But, now that you highlight that I will want to download all my books to my new KIndle, I realize that it will be one more thing for me to do ...

Is there a way to be sure everything from my current Kindle will get transferred to the new Kindle I buy? I assume that all the Kindle books I bought on Amazon will transfer seamlessly as long as I saved them to the cloud (I think this was an option, but now I don't see it when I check my digital purchases on Amazon. Even so, as long as I have my Amazon account I should be able to access the material and load it to my new Kindle, right?)

And any other files (non-Amazon / Kindle material) I have on my current Kindle will I guess not transfer to my new Kindle unless I save them somewhere first?

Did you delete everything on your "old" Kindle before returning to Amazon for the trade-in credit?
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

First, don't do anything with the 2015 Kindle until you have the new one up and running the way you want.

Syncing -
I tried syncing my old Kindle in the hope it would transfer to the new one. Nope. Instead, note exactly where you're at in the old reader. The display in the new one might be different, but getting to the right page number is a good start. Check that the content aligns. Sync the new device at that point.

Device registration -
The default option when you placed your order is to attach the new kindle to your account. When mine arrived, it was already in my account. That's about it. Nothing else was done.

Device setup -
Run through the device setup. Answer "No, thanks" to all the offers. Uncheck the "Save password to Amazon" box when entering the wi-fi password (see my previous post).

Once the kindle is happily connected to Amazon, it will ask for your account password. After that, it will go through a software upgrade check.

Content -
Your online account is the 'master library' where the books are stored.

Find all your purchased content (Content and devices --> Digital Content --> Books). Select 'All' --> Deliver to device. The site only displays 25 books at a time, so repeat for every page until all the books are downloaded. (I had close to 300 books, which includes quite a number shared with me by my late husband.)

The new Kindle will update its library as the books are downloaded. When done, the number of books should match what you've downloaded. There's a new display filter (library settings). Clearing the filter should give you a count on the number of books in the library. I also group my books by series - very convenient.

Display -
See my previous post for configuring the display. I highly recommend covering the logo with black electrical tape.

Returning the old device -
If you have any files that are not part of the Amazon library, offload them now. I should mention that there is an excellent open source eBook reader calibre - E-book management that might be helpful. The tool runs in Linux, Windows, and Mac and has been around a very long time. I use it in Linux. You'll need to learn how to use this software, which may be harder than simply connecting to the old Kindle via USB file transfer. (If anyone wants to discuss this tool, start a new thread.)

Once you are very sure that you have everything you need off the old reader, perform a factory reset. Then, deregister the device in your Amazon account.

Print the return shipping label (both pages). The second page of the label is return info for your device. Put that page and the old Kindle in the shipping box used for the new Kindle. Tape the box shut and tape the return label to the top. Drop it off at any UPS pickup.

Update: Corrected library filter
imyeti2

Post by imyeti2 »

This deal is like for like. I have the Fire tablet and wanted to switch to kindle. Don't think that works.
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

I am in the same boat as ThankYouJack. Need to wait until my 2014 PW is appraised for the 20% discount. :(
LadyGeek wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:42 am
ThankYouJack wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:31 am I wonder how you got the instant 20% discount. When I tried, I get the message:

Another thought - I had the Kindle and cover in my cart before I executed the trade-in. Perhaps Amazon saw I was ready to purchase and applied the info because of that? Also, there was a "Save 20% with Trade-In" box under the price.
CloveLeaf

Post by CloveLeaf »

CardinalRule wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:51 pm I am in the same boat as ThankYouJack. Need to wait until my 2014 PW is appraised for the 20% discount. :(
LadyGeek wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:42 am

Same here. I got the $25 credit and 20% off new kindle right after I dropped off my old one at the store. The new kindle was delivered to my house the same day :D
Fremdon Ferndock

Post by Fremdon Ferndock »

ThankYouJack wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:31 am
LadyGeek wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:30 am My costs:

+ state tax
I wonder how you got the instant 20% discount. When I tried, I get the message:

Yes, same for me, so the 20% is useless for this purchase. Can only be used for future Kindle purchases.
"Risk is what’s left over when you think you’ve thought of everything." ~ Morgan Housel
Fremdon Ferndock

When returning the old Kindle for trade-in, do you need to include the charging cable that came with it?
"Risk is what’s left over when you think you’ve thought of everything." ~ Morgan Housel
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I don't remember if my Kindle came with a charging cable. In any case, it's a standard USB cable and I seriously doubt they would want it back.

Otherwise, it would be in the packing instructions and I guarantee they would have a lot of upset customers who can't find a simple cable (worth < $1) that's holding up their return.

I'm shipping my Kindle back barebones. I also removed the cover that I purchased for it at that time.
Fremdon Ferndock

Find all your purchased content (Content and devices --> Digital Content --> Books). Select 'All' --> Deliver to device. The site only displays 25 books at a time, so repeat for every page until all the books are downloaded. (I had close to 300 books, which includes quite a number shared with me by my late husband.)
Lady Geek - After attempting to download all my books to the new Kindle, the Digital Content on my Amazon account for the device only displays 3 of my books and all the rest are missing. It refuses to show that these missing books have been downloaded. Don't know what's going on except that these other books were probably purchased for another Kindle device other than the one I'm trading in. How do I gain access to them on the new device?
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

As long as you have those books in your digital library, you can download them to the Kindle. Your content library will say if the book is yours or is shared from another account.

Look for a missing book in your content library. The entry will show:

-- Title
-- Acquired on (date)
-- in (1 device) <--- if you've downloaded the book and which device it's on.
--Acquired by (LadyGeek's husband) <--- says the book is shared with me from my late husband's account*

If you share the book with another account, the last entry will be shown as "Shared with...". That should give you enough clues to figure it out.

If those missing books are not in your library, someone else has used that Kindle before and registered it to their account. You'll need to track down that person and see what's going on.

Be sure to clear the library filter (Settings when viewing the library) which will show a count of books downloaded to the device. That will confirm if your new Kindle has those 3 books.

*When my husband passed, Amazon was unable to consolidate his account with mine. They told me to keep both accounts.

beardsicles

Post by beardsicles »

I submitted my ancient (first-gen) paperwhite for trade-in but the email indicated I wouldn't get a code until the trade-in was appraised. Just ordered without the 20%. Oh well.
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

LadyGeek wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:30 am
02nz wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:33 pm The current Paperwhite is really nice. The display being flush with the bezels makes it much nicer to use IMO. USB-C charging is also nice, and I believe this is also the first model of the Paperwhite with dual-band wifi.
Thanks! Based on reviews (Hands on Review of the Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 16GB Model), I went for the 16 GB Paperwhite. The Linux OS takes up 3 GB, so there's not much left if you go with the 8 GB model. I like to store every book I own on it.

My costs:

+ state tax
From the linked review:

"The Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 11th generation features a 6.8 inch E INK Carta 1200 touchscreen display with a resolution of 1236 x 1648 and 300 PPI. There is a front-lit display and warm lighting system with a total of 17 white and amber LED lights. There is a new system wide Dark Mode that can be pulled down from the drop down arrow above the search bar. It inverts the black and white e-paper display, so the background is black and the fonts are white. You can use the white and warm lighting to customize the brightness of the screen.

The screen is flush with the bezel, protected by a layer of glass. I have found that glass reflects overhead light when reading indoors, such as a lamp. If you are reading outdoors, direct sunlight will also put glare on the screen. To be fair, the vast majority of e-readers have glass that protects the e-paper display."

Does the 11th generation screen produce glare (both indoors and out) that doesn't result with the 5th generation model? I am still on the fence about switching, and this glare aspect would seem a drawback. Or maybe I'm missing something?

P.S. to LadyGeek: many thanks for your detailed reply earlier on how to transfer my files from my 2015 Kindle to the current model.
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I haven't taken my new Kindle outside yet, but glare from indoor and outdoor lighting is always a problem. Yes, I see a reflection from an indoor light.

However, it's easily fixed. Just orient the Kindle so the glare goes away. You only need to move it slightly in one direction or another. Even after moving it slightly, there's still enough of a viewing angle to easily read. I wouldn't worry about it.

My old 2015 Kindle did show a reflection from indoor lighting, but it was more diffused than the new one. Reorienting the viewing angle (change the way you hold it) so the glare goes off the screen works just fine. Reading is not a problem.
Fremdon Ferndock

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:21 pm As long as you have those books in your digital library, you can download them to the Kindle. Your content library will say if the book is yours or is shared from another account.

Look for a missing book in your content library. The entry will show:

-- Title
-- Acquired on (date)
-- in (1 device) <--- if you've downloaded the book and which device it's on.
--Acquired by (LadyGeek's husband) <--- says the book is shared with me from my late husband's account*

If you share the book with another account, the last entry will be shown as "Shared with...". That should give you enough clues to figure it out.

If those missing books are not in your library, someone else has used that Kindle before and registered it to their account. You'll need to track down that person and see what's going on.

Be sure to clear the library filter (Settings when viewing the library) which will show a count of books downloaded to the device. That will confirm if your new Kindle has those 3 books.

*When my husband passed, Amazon was unable to consolidate his account with mine. They told me to keep both accounts.

I have a similar situation to yours. I have kindle books in two different accounts and would like to consolidate them in one account. Best I can do is to share and download all the books to the new kindle. However, this means I have to keep both accounts forever unless I can figure out a way to bring them together.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

LadyGeek wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:30 am

My costs:

+ state tax
$55 is a good price for a quality product that is 7 years newer, though I have no idea what your experience is with your current one or if significant changes have been made. My Paperwhite is probably a few years newer than yours and I am very happy with it as is. I am not sure why you feel a need for a cover, especially for about half of what you are paying for your device.....I never had one, I am not good at taking care of things, and mine still seems as good as new to me. I also like to limit the bulkiness (I can fit it in a jacket pocket comfortably, for example). If you trash yours within the next 5 years or whatever, more than likely you will be able to get a similar deal on a new one anyway.