New iPhone 14

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
eddot98

New iPhone 14

Post by eddot98 »

I’m debating how to upgrade DW’s iPhone 11 to an iPhone 14, just the standard 14 - not a plus or Pro. It’s $800 plus sales tax unlocked from Apple for the iPhone 14. We have AT&T for which we pay $112 per month with all taxes and fees for unlimited talk, text, and data for 2 lines. We are satisfied with that. I am currently paying off a free after trade in iPhone 12 by $26.67 a month bill credits. I have 5 payments left on the iPhone 12, but the bill credits make our real cost about $85 a month if I had to buy the iPhone 12 21 months ago.
AT&T is offering a trade in value of $800 for DW’s iPhone 11 making the iPhone 14 free, but we have to keep AT&T for 36 months because the trade in value is spread out over that time period. $800/36 = $22, so getting a free iPhone 14 lowers our real cost per month to $73 if we had to buy an iPhone 14.
I do have enough Thank You points with Citibank to get a gift card from Apple that will cover the cost of the iPhone 14, including taxes.
So, the question is:
Pay $850 including taxes for an unlocked iPhone 14?
Upgrade through AT&T and get a locked iPhone 14, but be committed to them for 36 months?
Use 85,000 Thank You points to get an unlocked iPhone 14?

Please do not suggest that we get this MVNO or this other 1GB a month service as we use anywhere between 2.5 and 5 GB of data per month each. And, as I said, we are happy with AT&T’s service and price for what we get.

Having written this out and forcing myself to think critically about the choices, I am leaning towards the AT&T upgrade. Comments?
Last edited by eddot98 on Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dukeblue219

Re: New iPhone 14

Post by dukeblue219 »

You're paying for a full-featured plan. Use it for the upgrade discounts and trade-in bonuses!

If you decide you hate ATT before 36 months is up you can just pay off the rest of the phone. There's not a massive penalty for that. If you switch to TMobile or Verizon they'd likely offer to pay off your phone anyway. Not a big risk.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

Sorry, I am going to suggest you switch to an MVNO. If you’re happy with AT&T coverage, Boost Mobile runs on the AT&T network and is currently offering unlimited talk, text, data for $25/mo.

If you just want to stay on AT&T, use their trade-in offer. That’s why the plan is more expensive.
Freeadvice

Post by Freeadvice »

Will the locked phone work in Europe?
Topic Author
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

Freeadvice wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:09 pm Will the locked phone work in Europe?
Yes, but only through AT&T because it will be locked. We just returned a few weeks ago from France and we used AT&T’s international day pass that cost us $150 to use both of our phones just as we do here in the USA - unlimited talk, text, and data. We were in France for 17 days, luckily it was all in the same billing period. It’s $10 a day for the first phone and $5 for the second with a maximum of 10 days in the same billing period.
I’m sure that we could have paid less using local SIM cards, but I have done that before with mixed results.
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

op

Your ATT offer is ok, personally I have been with Straight Talk prepaid (2017) using Verizon network, you could specify ATT or T-Mobile.

here is the phone choices: https://www.straighttalk.com/phones/ios-phones

It seems similar deal what you are getting from ATT:

https://www.straighttalk.com/all-phones ... gb-prepaid at 829.99

My $35 per month plan gets 25 GB data, unlimited talk and text.

https://www.straighttalk.com/all-plans
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

Not that I have an IPhone, but the 14 has an Emergency SOS via satellite feature (although if I was planning to do a long term remote vacation, I would rent a sat phone). Appears that it works more effectively in open areas. You need iOS 16.1 and you get two years free service.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
Topic Author
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

Thanks to all those who offered a response. I’m going to go the upgrade through AT&T route. Now I just have to break it to DW - she doesn’t like change.
I should talk. I have had the same Lock Screen and case for 2 years.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Visible is running a pretty good promo if you port in a number: you pay full price for the phone but get a $250 gift card (you have a choice of merchants incl. Amazon) and free Apple Beats Studio Buds wireless earphones. That's about a $400 value in all, and you pay $30 per month per line for unlimited everything. Visible is a Verizon subsidiary and (of course) runs on that network.

https://www.visible.com/shop/smartphone ... =MPVR3LL/A

ETA: The phone is automatically unlocked after 60 days. Can confirm it worked perfectly on mine.
Last edited by 02nz on Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

eddot98 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:20 pm Pay $850 including taxes for an unlocked iPhone 14?
Upgrade through AT&T and get a locked iPhone 14, but be committed to them for 36 months?
If you travel, second option is not usually acceptable.
charis23

Post by charis23 »

02nz wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:38 pm Visible is running a pretty good promo if you port in a number: you pay full price for the phone but get a $250 gift card (you have a choice of merchants incl. Amazon) and free Apple Beats Studio Buds wireless earphones. That's about a $400 value in all, and you pay $30 per month per line for unlimited everything. Visible is a Verizon subsidiary and (of course) runs on that network.

ETA: The phone is automatically unlocked after 60 days. Can confirm it worked perfectly on mine.
This is a pretty good deal. Do you use Visible? What are your thoughts?
sureshoe

Post by sureshoe »

eddot98 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:20 pm I’m debating how to upgrade DW’s iPhone 11 to an iPhone 14, just the standard 14 - not a plus or Pro. It’s $800 plus sales tax unlocked from Apple for the iPhone 14. We have AT&T for which we pay $112 per month with all taxes and fees for unlimited talk, text, and data for 2 lines. We are satisfied with that. I am currently paying off a free after trade in iPhone 12 by $26.67 a month bill credits. I have 5 payments left on the iPhone 12, but the bill credits make our real cost about $85 a month if I had to buy the iPhone 12 21 months ago.
AT&T is offering a trade in value of $800 for DW’s iPhone 11 making the iPhone 14 free, but we have to keep AT&T for 36 months because the trade in value is spread out over that time period. $800/36 = $22, so getting a free iPhone 14 lowers our real cost per month to $73 if we had to buy an iPhone 14.
I do have enough Thank You points with Citibank to get a gift card from Apple that will cover the cost of the iPhone 14, including taxes.
So, the question is:
Pay $850 including taxes for an unlocked iPhone 14?
Use 85,000 Thank You points to get an unlocked iPhone 14?

Please do not suggest that we get this MVNO or this other 1GB a month service as we use anywhere between 2.5 and 5 GB of data per month each. And, as I said, we are happy with AT&T’s service and price for what we get.

Having written this out and forcing myself to think critically about the choices, I am leaning towards the AT&T upgrade. Comments?
It's up to you what service you use: ATT, Verizon, Cricket, MVNO, whatever. As you mentioned, gobs has been written on the process.

In general, opposed to popular opinion, you are most often best to sign a contract if you're going to stay with one of the major carriers and need a phone. The obvious reason is that you are already paying a markup on the service to compensate for your phone. Having written that, I wouldn't necessarily upgrade and overspend just to use that discount.

The one thing I would personally NEVER do is buy a phone directly from Apple and move it to ATT because you're unnecessarily overpaying. If you're happy with ATT and planning to stay there, get a credit. I'm usually very skeptical of tradeins because they give you abysmal value and reselling on the open market is usually better. So before you pull the trigger - make sure you know the street value of the phone you're trading in. I'm assuming it's in the $200-$400 range, so the real "bonus" is $400ish (which is not bad and you dont' have to mess with selling the phone). I just got the $800 tradein from Verizon going from iphone11 to 14, but my front camera had broken, so it was next to valueless as-is.

Good luck.
N.Y.Cab

Post by N.Y.Cab »

iPhone 14 without physical SIM tray might be a deal breaker for travelers. iPhone 13 with same specs for $100 less is a better deal.
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

charis23 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:54 am
02nz wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:38 pm Visible is running a pretty good promo if you port in a number: you pay full price for the phone but get a $250 gift card (you have a choice of merchants incl. Amazon) and free Apple Beats Studio Buds wireless earphones. That's about a $400 value in all, and you pay $30 per month per line for unlimited everything. Visible is a Verizon subsidiary and (of course) runs on that network.

I recently switched to Visible. Generally, have been pleased with it. I have run speed tests in many places. Highest speeds were well over 100Mbps download. Have had a couple of speed tests where download/upload was in the single digit Mbps. That said, I haven't noticed much of an issue in real-world use, with one exception - Service was unavailable when I was recently in a stadium, so I had to walk to the far end of the concourse away from the crowd to get even a minimal data connection.

I don't hang out with large crowds that often, but if that continues to be a problem, I figure I can upgrade to the Visible plan that doesn't get deprioritized.
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

N.Y.Cab wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:57 am iPhone 14 without physical SIM tray might be a deal breaker for travelers. iPhone 13 with same specs for $100 less is a better deal.
Airalo and alike esims do a very reasonable job, although a bit pricey.
homebuyer6426

Post by homebuyer6426 »

I just bought a refurbished iPhone 11 for $400. Unless you're in the fraction of a percent of power users, the 14 is not going to be a big improvement.
charis23

Post by charis23 »

bluebolt wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:56 am

I recently switched to Visible. Generally, have been pleased with it. I have run speed tests in many places. Highest speeds were well over 100Mbps download. Have had a couple of speed tests where download/upload was in the single digit Mbps. That said, I haven't noticed much of an issue in real-world use, with one exception - Service was unavailable when I was recently in a stadium, so I had to walk to the far end of the concourse away from the crowd to get even a minimal data connection.

I don't hang out with large crowds that often, but if that continues to be a problem, I figure I can upgrade to the Visible plan that doesn't get deprioritized.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I actually didn't know the carriers even did de-prioritization. I'm on a prepaid plan for Verizon and I've never experienced slowness while in stadiums. But Visible is attractive because I do like the unlimited data and it seems like a good deal on an iPhone 14.
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

charis23 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:22 pm
bluebolt wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:56 am I recently switched to Visible. Generally, have been pleased with it. I have run speed tests in many places. Highest speeds were well over 100Mbps download. Have had a couple of speed tests where download/upload was in the single digit Mbps. That said, I haven't noticed much of an issue in real-world use, with one exception - Service was unavailable when I was recently in a stadium, so I had to walk to the far end of the concourse away from the crowd to get even a minimal data connection.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I actually didn't know the carriers even did de-prioritization. I'm on a prepaid plan for Verizon and I've never experienced slowness while in stadiums. But Visible is attractive because I do like the unlimited data and it seems like a good deal on an iPhone 14.
I figured the worst case was that I stayed for 3 months to get the promo and then switched somewhere else.
j9j

Post by j9j »

N.Y.Cab wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:57 am iPhone 14 without physical SIM tray might be a deal breaker for travelers. iPhone 13 with same specs for $100 less is a better deal.
This is the main reason I skipped upgrading from my 13.
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

j9j wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:40 pm
This is the main reason I skipped upgrading from my 13.
I travel regularly. eSIM availability is good enough that I'm not too worried about it. I'll let you know in a year if I regret going with the iPhone 14.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Like all MVNOs, they can get throttled when traffic is heavy. They now have a $45/mo plan that gives you a "premium network experience," meaning higher priority (maybe same as Verizon postpaid?). Where I am, Verizon is generally way more congested than T-Mobile, so as soon as I've made my third payment, back to Mint Mobile I go. Conveniently, Mint is running a 6 mos for the price of 3 promo right now. (This is the third year in a row I've bought the latest iPhone from Visible to get the promos, and only stayed on 3 mos each time.)
Rainier

Post by Rainier »

Go to TMobile and you'll likely get free phones and a huge monthly bill cut with free international data roaming.