AAA [car] battery replacement without membership?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
Topic Author
MrJones
Posts: 538
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:23 am

AAA [car] battery replacement without membership?

Post by MrJones »

I recently bought a car. It's got a AAA branded battery in it, that is not even a year old, but is not holding a charge. Sticker says 3 year free replacement warranty. Seller is a close friend, but doesn't have AAA any more.

I tried to call but got tired of hold times and being given the run around, in trying to find out:

Will AAA honor the warranty without a membership? Are there state laws in CA that mandate honoring the warranty without membership? Thank you.
BuddyJet
Posts: 885
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:56 pm

Re: AAA battery replacement without membership?

Post by BuddyJet »

Aaa battery warranty is to original purchaser and isn’t transferable.

https://member.acg.aaa.com/content/dam/ ... t-Form.pdf
People say nothing is impossible. I do nothing all day.
Topic Author
MrJones
Posts: 538
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:23 am

Re: AAA battery replacement without membership?

Post by MrJones »

Curious: if I buy a new AAA battery from a place like Costco or AAA, do I get the warranty only if I remain a member and pay membership dues?
Goal33
Posts: 1953
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:30 pm

Re: AAA battery replacement without membership?

Post by Goal33 »

MrJones wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:27 am Curious: if I buy a new AAA battery from a place like Costco or AAA, do I get the warranty only if I remain a member and pay membership dues?

I think so. But don’t waste your friends time with this game. I just put in a new battery from Costco… it was $100.
Topic Author
MrJones
Posts: 538
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:23 am

Re: AAA battery replacement without membership?

Post by MrJones »

Goal33 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:47 am
MrJones wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:27 am Curious: if I buy a new AAA battery from a place like Costco or AAA, do I get the warranty only if I remain a member and pay membership dues?

I think so. But don’t waste your friends time with this game. I just put in a new battery from Costco… it was $100.
Do you know for sure? Could you point me to proof? Makes no sense to buy from Costco if this is true, unless I count 6 years of membership into the price, which would make it 250 + 360.
User avatar
galawdawg
Posts: 4671
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:59 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: AAA battery replacement without membership?

Post by galawdawg »

MrJones wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:27 am Curious: if I buy a new AAA battery from a place like Costco or AAA, do I get the warranty only if I remain a member and pay membership dues?
Why would you want to buy another AAA branded battery considering the one you have failed in less than a year and you can't get it replaced under warranty? If you aren't a member of AAA, you don't receive any benefit from buying one of their branded batteries. So just skip AAA and their branded batteries.

Car and truck batteries are mass-produced consumables, most of them are made by Johnson Controls (including that AAA battery in all likelihood) with the rest being made by East Penn and a few other minor manufacturers. Just check pricing, reviews and warranties on batteries sold at Walmart, Advance Auto, Auto Zone, Pep Boys and similar retailers and buy one that meets your needs. Done. :beer
User avatar
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Posts: 47957
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:33 am
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Re: AAA battery replacement without membership?

Post by nisiprius »

The first time I saw...

Image

...I thought

Image
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
User avatar
enad
Posts: 618
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:50 pm

Re: AAA battery replacement without membership?

Post by enad »

MrJones wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:10 pm I recently bought a car. It's got a AAA branded battery in it, that is not even a year old, but is not holding a charge. Sticker says 3 year free replacement warranty. Seller is a close friend, but doesn't have AAA any more.

I tried to call but got tired of hold times and being given the run around, in trying to find out:

Will AAA honor the warranty without a membership? Are there state laws in CA that mandate honoring the warranty without membership? Thank you.
From AAA: If a battery fails due to a defect during the Free Replacement Period, the original Customer may obtain a free replacement battery.

If you need a new battery, try Costco. Call them ahead to make sure they have the battery in stock. Take the old battery out and if you want place it in about 5 or 6 grocery bags to make it easier to carry. Take it to Costco when you buy the new battery so they don't charge you a "core" charge.

I'm on my 4th battery (from the original purchase) because the battery dies right around month 28 or 29. I only had to pay $10 (the last time) because the new price is higher than the last price.
What Goes Up Must come down -- David Clayton-Thomas (1968), BST
User avatar
9Iron
Posts: 235
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:41 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: AAA battery replacement without membership?

Post by 9Iron »

every time i see see the word ‘alkaline’, I think of Al Kaline!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Kaline
User avatar
Gort
Posts: 823
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:07 pm
Location: Idaho

Re: AAA battery replacement without membership?

Post by Gort »

enad wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:17 am
MrJones wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:10 pm I recently bought a car. It's got a AAA branded battery in it, that is not even a year old, but is not holding a charge. Sticker says 3 year free replacement warranty. Seller is a close friend, but doesn't have AAA any more.

I tried to call but got tired of hold times and being given the run around, in trying to find out:

Will AAA honor the warranty without a membership? Are there state laws in CA that mandate honoring the warranty without membership? Thank you.
From AAA: If a battery fails due to a defect during the Free Replacement Period, the original Customer may obtain a free replacement battery.

If you need a new battery, try Costco. Call them ahead to make sure they have the battery in stock. Take the old battery out and if you want place it in about 5 or 6 grocery bags to make it easier to carry. Take it to Costco when you buy the new battery so they don't charge you a "core" charge.

I'm on my 4th battery (from the original purchase) because the battery dies right around month 28 or 29. I only had to pay $10 (the last time) because the new price is higher than the last price.
You can take your old battery in later and get the “core” charge reversed.
BobTexas
Posts: 216
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:56 pm

Re: AAA battery replacement without membership?

Post by BobTexas »

If the battery failed after less then a year, I suspect that there is something else the matter that’s causing it to not charge. You probably need a mechanic to check it
FellsGuy
Posts: 189
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:30 pm

Re: AAA battery replacement without membership?

Post by FellsGuy »

BobTexas wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:52 am If the battery failed after less then a year, I suspect that there is something else the matter that’s causing it to not charge. You probably need a mechanic to check it
Agreed you almost certainly have an electrical "something or other" draining the battery which may or may not worth fixing but you know it will kill your battery in a blizzard at 11:00 pm on a Sunday night. I had a passenger seat motor that was doing it. Good quality batteries dont fail that fast.
“Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six , result happiness. | Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery”
tj
Posts: 6737
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:10 am

Re: AAA battery replacement without membership?

Post by tj »

MrJones wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:27 am Curious: if I buy a new AAA battery from a place like Costco or AAA, do I get the warranty only if I remain a member and pay membership dues?
I'm not aware of being able to buy a AAA battery from anywhere other than AAA, and I'm not sure why you'd want to if you could?
User avatar
enad
Posts: 618
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:50 pm

Re: AAA battery replacement without membership?

Post by enad »

BobTexas wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:52 am If the battery failed after less then a year, I suspect that there is something else the matter that’s causing it to not charge. You probably need a mechanic to check it
MrJones wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:10 pm I recently bought a car. It's got a AAA branded battery in it, that is not even a year old, but is not holding a charge. Sticker says 3 year free replacement warranty. Seller is a close friend, but doesn't have AAA any more.
MrJones wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:27 am Curious: if I buy a new AAA battery from a place like Costco or AAA, do I get the warranty only if I remain a member and pay membership dues?
Batteries can go out for all sorts of reasons. Maybe it's the charging circuit. Some oil change places have a service to test the battery and the charging circuit for a nominal price, perhaps worth a shot before you buy a new battery.

If you don't shop at Costco, don't bother getting a membership just to buy a battery. Try Walmart
What Goes Up Must come down -- David Clayton-Thomas (1968), BST
HomeOwner2022
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:16 am

Re: AAA battery replacement without membership?

Post by HomeOwner2022 »

NAPA also sells AAA batteries so you might check out what their warranty /return policy is.
User avatar
jabberwockOG
Posts: 2899
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 7:23 am

Re: AAA [car] battery replacement without membership?

Post by jabberwockOG »

I don't recommend Walmart for any car services except for batteries. They sell and install millions of batteries every year. They will test your battery and charging system for free - no diagnostic fee. You get the test printout in 5 minutes and it is accurate. The batteries they sell are made by Exide or Johnson controls. 95% of wet cell acid lead core batteries these days are internally identical. The maxx plus battery line the Walmart sells has a 3 year full replacement warranty. Bigger is better. The best battery for your car is the biggest heaviest battery that will fit in the battery box.

Extended long term 'prorated' battery warranties that most auto parts stores sell with their high priced batteries are worthless. The higher price buys you a prepaid insurance policy for a fancy rebranded/re-stickered normal battery that comes with a mountain of fine print that insures the extended portion of the warranty ends up being very close to worthless.
tibbitts
Posts: 18340
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:50 pm

Re: AAA [car] battery replacement without membership?

Post by tibbitts »

jabberwockOG wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:58 pm I don't recommend Walmart for any car services except for batteries. They sell and install millions of batteries every year. They will test your battery and charging system for free - no diagnostic fee. You get the test printout in 5 minutes and it is accurate. The batteries they sell are made by Exide or Johnson controls. 95% of wet cell acid lead core batteries these days are internally identical. The maxx plus battery line the Walmart sells has a 3 year full replacement warranty. Bigger is better. The best battery for your car is the biggest heaviest battery that will fit in the battery box.

Extended long term 'prorated' battery warranties that most auto parts stores sell with their high priced batteries are worthless. The higher price buys you a prepaid insurance policy for a fancy rebranded/re-stickered normal battery that comes with a mountain of fine print that insures the extended portion of the warranty ends up being very close to worthless.
The Maxx warranty changed a few years ago so that now a free replacement no longer restarts the warranty.
User avatar
jabberwockOG
Posts: 2899
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 7:23 am

Re: AAA [car] battery replacement without membership?

Post by jabberwockOG »

tibbitts wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:47 am
jabberwockOG wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:58 pm I don't recommend Walmart for any car services except for batteries. They sell and install millions of batteries every year. They will test your battery and charging system for free - no diagnostic fee. You get the test printout in 5 minutes and it is accurate. The batteries they sell are made by Exide or Johnson controls. 95% of wet cell acid lead core batteries these days are internally identical. The maxx plus battery line the Walmart sells has a 3 year full replacement warranty. Bigger is better. The best battery for your car is the biggest heaviest battery that will fit in the battery box.

Extended long term 'prorated' battery warranties that most auto parts stores sell with their high priced batteries are worthless. The higher price buys you a prepaid insurance policy for a fancy rebranded/re-stickered normal battery that comes with a mountain of fine print that insures the extended portion of the warranty ends up being very close to worthless.
The Maxx warranty changed a few years ago so that now a free replacement no longer restarts the warranty.

Agree - did not realize that was a change. My understanding is that the three year warranty was per purchase so a free under warranty replacement did not extend it the original 3 year warranty. A couple of years ago I had a free battery warranty replacement at month 34-35. I did not expect Walmart to give me another 3 year warranty on the free replacement battery.
Jeepergeo
Posts: 515
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:33 pm

Re: AAA [car] battery replacement without membership?

Post by Jeepergeo »

It seems batteries always seem to fail when the user is many miles from an outlet that will honor the warranty.

My resolution to that problem is to get batteries at a retailer that has outlets in places I might travel. Auto Zone with over 6,700 stores, meets that criteria for me.
tibbitts
Posts: 18340
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:50 pm

Re: AAA [car] battery replacement without membership?

Post by tibbitts »

jabberwockOG wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:48 pm
tibbitts wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:47 am
jabberwockOG wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:58 pm I don't recommend Walmart for any car services except for batteries. They sell and install millions of batteries every year. They will test your battery and charging system for free - no diagnostic fee. You get the test printout in 5 minutes and it is accurate. The batteries they sell are made by Exide or Johnson controls. 95% of wet cell acid lead core batteries these days are internally identical. The maxx plus battery line the Walmart sells has a 3 year full replacement warranty. Bigger is better. The best battery for your car is the biggest heaviest battery that will fit in the battery box.

Extended long term 'prorated' battery warranties that most auto parts stores sell with their high priced batteries are worthless. The higher price buys you a prepaid insurance policy for a fancy rebranded/re-stickered normal battery that comes with a mountain of fine print that insures the extended portion of the warranty ends up being very close to worthless.
The Maxx warranty changed a few years ago so that now a free replacement no longer restarts the warranty.

Agree - did not realize that was a change. My understanding is that the three year warranty was per purchase so a free under warranty replacement did not extend it the original 3 year warranty. A couple of years ago I had a free battery warranty replacement at month 34-35. I did not expect Walmart to give me another 3 year warranty on the free replacement battery.
I received a second replacement Maxx after the first replacement failed, both after about 2.5yrs each. But was told no "double-dipping" going forward.
twh
Posts: 773
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:15 pm

Re: AAA [car] battery replacement without membership?

Post by twh »

There are less than half dozen companies on the planet that make car batteries regardless of what label is on it.
What I'm saying is they are pretty much all the same if you are comparing the same spec'ed battery from label A and label B.
I've had batteries from: Costco, Walmart, Advance Auto Parts, O-Rielly.
Just find the biggest cheapest one that fits your car and is priced right.
sport
Posts: 11395
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:26 pm
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: AAA [car] battery replacement without membership?

Post by sport »

twh wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:10 pm There are less than half dozen companies on the planet that make car batteries regardless of what label is on it.
What I'm saying is they are pretty much all the same if you are comparing the same spec'ed battery from label A and label B.
I've had batteries from: Costco, Walmart, Advance Auto Parts, O-Rielly.
Just find the biggest cheapest one that fits your car and is priced right.
I would suggest that is better to judge a battery's performance by its ratings rather than its size. When I was in the battery business, we would make several different batteries for each group size. The higher the ratings, the better the performance and the longer the life expectancy. The ratings are Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) and Reserve Capacity. CCA is a measure of how well the battery will start an engine at zero degrees F. The Reserve Capacity is a measure of how long the battery will keep your lights and defroster working if your fan belt breaks and the battery is not being charged by the alternator.
Post Reply