Check refrigerated items on a 30 hour intl airplane trip?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
need403bhelp

Check refrigerated items on a 30 hour intl airplane trip?

Post by need403bhelp »

We have a toddler and want to bring some items on a 30 hour, 1 stop international trip that require refrigeration in checked luggage. Most of these are baby food, some are other items our toddler likes to eat that are not strictly baby food.

It seems this would be easiest to do in our checked luggage. Ideally, based on volume and weight would be something like this 20 can soft cooler that Wirecutter recommends:
https://www.amazon.com/RTIC-Latches-Ins ... RB3DK?th=1

(their article https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/revi ... rd-cooler/ )

However, I'm just not clear if it will really work to keep the food cold that long.

Any suggestions for how to transport this food, especially if can be similar size and weight to the above soft cooler (if possible)?

We do know that the international destination to which we are traveling DOES allow us to bring the food.

Thank you.
student

Re: Check refrigerated items on a 30 hour intl airplane trip?

Post by student »

need403bhelp wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:03 pm We have a toddler and want to bring some items on a 30 hour, 1 stop international trip that require refrigeration in checked luggage. Most of these are baby food, some are other items our toddler likes to eat that are not strictly baby food.

It seems this would be easiest to do in our checked luggage. Ideally, based on volume and weight would be something like this 20 can soft cooler that Wirecutter recommends:
https://www.amazon.com/RTIC-Latches-Ins ... RB3DK?th=1

(their article https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/revi ... rd-cooler/ )

However, I'm just not clear if it will really work to keep the food cold that long.

Any suggestions for how to transport this food, especially if can be similar size and weight to the above soft cooler (if possible)?

We do know that the international destination to which we are traveling DOES allow us to bring the food.

Thank you.
This will likely work with "ice packs." I mean people ship seafood across the country. However, personally I will add a thermometer with a high/low memory to ensure that the food is maintained at proper temperature.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

I'll ask the obvious. What's your destination? If not a third world country or having special dietary needs, most if not all items should be able to be purchased upon arrival. It may eliminate some hassle and spoilage. ;)
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

You do know that the baggage compartment of most large aircraft is typically about 20degF colder than the cabin, or around 45F. Assuming there's sufficient frozen matter such as blue ice in the luggage, and it isn't allowed to sit for prolonged periods prior to being checked and loaded, the cooler should have no issue maintaining temperature.

Any food or other items that can be safely frozen before packing into the cooler will obviously help.
rob

Post by rob »

Make sure you can get baby food past the entry in whatever country... Had issues over the years when kids were that age. MUCH easier to just buy when you get there IMO....
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
crefwatch

Post by crefwatch »

I would expect the blue ice, or the organic dye-free baby food to trigger physical inspection after imaging through the bag. So make sure the stuff is packed (say, in a clear ziplock within the cooler) so that it will be just as well protected after the inspection. I'm saying, make it easy for them to restore things exactly the way they were.

In fairness, I have never traveled with a toddler. But as the fireman said to the nice old lady, "Look, I've never found a cat skeleton in a tree." Have you considered the difficulty of getting 30 hours of toddler food past the TSA, so that other passengers on the plane won't suffer disturbance?
Last edited by crefwatch on Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 123 »

Fresh food items, raw or prepared, the kind most likely to require refrigeration, are the ones that are most likely to run into customs issues. Anything that has liquid included, even if frozen at the time is passes through customs, may be suspected of containing a contraband drug in the mix, even if its in what appears to be a regular commercial container. Having an infant/child in the travel party might be seen as just a cover story. Worst case scenario is that customs "tests" each container, who knows what they will stick into it, will you still give it to your child after customs has tested it? "Regular" travelers just don't bring a cooler full of meals/groceries with them on an international trip.

Or maybe I've just watched too many episodes of "To Catch a Smuggler",
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Watty

Post by Watty »

need403bhelp wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:03 pm We do know that the international destination to which we are traveling DOES allow us to bring the food.
Be sure to also check any country where there are flight connections or even stops.
123 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:30 pm Anything that has liquid included, even if frozen at the time is passes through customs, may be suspected of containing a contraband drug in the mix.
The insulation of the ice chest will also be suspect.

Unless this is for some medical reason I think it is a bad idea.
TexasPE

Post by TexasPE »

need403bhelp wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:03 pm

Thank you.
I've used dry ice to bring along "care-package" food items (shrimp, crawfish, ice cream) with no problems in a single-use Styrofoam cooler. The dry ice (solid CO2) sublimates from a solid to a gas.. no liquid state. It did require a special label which the airline supplied when I checked it through to our destination.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-scr ... ms/dry-ice
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)
celia

Post by celia »

need403bhelp wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:03 pm We have a toddler and want to bring some items on a 30 hour, 1 stop international trip that require refrigeration in checked luggage. Most of these are baby food, some are other items our toddler likes to eat that are not strictly baby food.
Unless the toddler has a serious health issue, I don’t know why you want to refrigerate everything. Most baby food can sit at room temperature until it is open. If it was sitting on an open shelf at the store, you can do the same thing at home. You can even travel with room temp cans, open and use half of it up, and toss the rest. How many containers are you thinking of over a 30-hour travel window?

—or— plan it differently. Take only foods that are at room temperature. The airline can heat some of it up while in flight.
Parkinglotracer

Post by Parkinglotracer »

TexasPE wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:34 pm
need403bhelp wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:03 pm

Thank you.
I've used dry ice to bring along "care-package" food items (shrimp, crawfish, ice cream) with no problems in a single-use Styrofoam cooler. The dry ice (solid CO2) sublimates from a solid to a gas.. no liquid state. It did require a special label which the airline supplied when I checked it through to our destination.

When you buy fish in Alaska that’s what they do to send it to east coast. Dry ice in styrofoam container.
rob

Post by rob »

TexasPE wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:34 pm I've used dry ice to bring along "care-package" food items (shrimp, crawfish, ice cream) with no problems in a single-use Styrofoam cooler. The dry ice (solid CO2) sublimates from a solid to a gas.. no liquid state. It did require a special label which the airline supplied when I checked it through to our destination.

This is for non US travel... TSA rules are useless....
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Are you sure op, that you can bring food into the area you are visiting? I would check before making plans for carting food for 30 hour flight.
TexasPE

Post by TexasPE »

rob wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:17 pm
TexasPE wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:34 pm I've used dry ice to bring along "care-package" food items (shrimp, crawfish, ice cream) with no problems in a single-use Styrofoam cooler. The dry ice (solid CO2) sublimates from a solid to a gas.. no liquid state. It did require a special label which the airline supplied when I checked it through to our destination.

Well,.. one can always find out (instead of rejecting the idea out of hand)
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

celia wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:03 pm
Unless the toddler has a serious health issue, I don’t know why you want to refrigerate everything. Most baby food can sit at room temperature until it is open. If it was sitting on an open shelf at the store, you can do the same thing at home. You can even travel with room temp cans, open and use half of it up, and toss the rest. How many containers are you thinking of over a 30-hour travel window?

—or— plan it differently. Take only foods that are at room temperature. The airline can heat some of it up while in flight.
Since it is checked luggage, it seems OP wants to have stuff they know the kid will eat on the other end.

I still think OP's time would be better spent researching appropriate substitutes at the other end.
MJS

Post by MJS »

30 hour flight ... are you headed to or thru the southern hemisphere or to a desert or tropical location? If your luggage might be sitting in full sun at a hot airport, be very cautious. And the longer your layovers, the less likely your food is to survive.
Ipsa scientia potestas est. Bacon F. Meditationes Sacrae.
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

Can you clarify exactly what food it is you are trying to take and your destination country?

This feels like it’s got a lot of ways it can go wrong

You do you, but I wouldn’t have my toddler travel 30 straight hours. That’s rough on a healthy adult. Sounds miserable for a toddler. Can you get a hotel at the intermediate stop?
“… the fact remains that buying a nominal bond ladder to defease future living expenses can prove disastrous.” - Bill Bernstein | | “…something unusual happens—usually.” - Nassim Taleb
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

rob wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:17 pm

not really. Assuming the OP is traveling from the US, any checked bags and carry-on have to pass TSA checks.

Obviously, it gets more complicated if the mentioned stop is at an international location.
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

ScubaHogg wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:43 am You do you, but I wouldn’t have my toddler travel 30 straight hours. That’s rough on a healthy adult. Sounds miserable for a toddler. Can you get a hotel at the intermediate stop?
+1 I have done trips up to about 15 hours (one flight) and done two flights approaching 20 hours that was fairly rough and I was in business class/first class. In my experience there is a marked difference between 8-10 hours and more than that. I'll be doing my first 30 hour trip (two 12+ hour flights plus a layover this December so I guess I'll get experience that myself).

To OP I'll agree with others that there are a lot of moving parts here. One is what is allowed on the plan from a security perspective which may vary by country and what may be allowed to be imported at your arrival country.
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

It helps if you can start with frozen food, but if that'll ruin your food you're going to need real insulation like a cooler bag.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
fyre4ce

Post by fyre4ce »

Dry ice is worth looking into. That's the gold standard for how frozen foods are shipped in the mail.

If the food can't be frozen, maybe lots of frozen gel packs? You could pre-refrigerate the food, and pack it into an insulated container with frozen gel packs. I doubt the food would really freeze.

Another option is to bring it carry-on - of course, depending on how much. That way, you can monitor the temperature yourself. You can't bring ice through security, but you can bring empty zip-loc bags, and once inside the airport, get ice from a restaurant and fill up the bags. Same for any airports you may have layovers at. The flight attendants will be able to give you more ice during the flight, and you can go into the lavatories, pour out the melted ice and replace with fresh ice as many times as needed during the flight. Also avoids the risk of the bag sitting on a hot tarmac for many hours.

I know you can buy relatively cheap temperature monitors that are used for recording the temperature of items during shipment. Throw one or two in with the food, it records the temperature every X minutes, then on the other end you plug it into a computer and you can see a plot of tempeature vs. time. That way if the food goes bad at least you'll know it before you eat it.
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

THY4373 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:20 am
ScubaHogg wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:43 am You do you, but I wouldn’t have my toddler travel 30 straight hours. That’s rough on a healthy adult. Sounds miserable for a toddler. Can you get a hotel at the intermediate stop?
+1 I have done trips up to about 15 hours (one flight) and done two flights approaching 20 hours that was fairly rough and I was in business class/first class. In my experience there is a marked difference between 8-10 hours and more than that. I'll be doing my first 30 hour trip (two 12+ hour flights plus a layover this December so I guess I'll get experience that myself).

To OP I'll agree with others that there are a lot of moving parts here. One is what is allowed on the plan from a security perspective which may vary by country and what may be allowed to be imported at your arrival country.
I am really curious where you are going that is a sum of two 12+ hour trips. I would posit that most places would be accessible in less time going the other direction.

PS: We took our toddler to India - not necessarily OP's destination - back in the early 2000s and it was a 30 hour trip each way more or less ... with connections of course. We all made out quite well. It all depends on the travellers. I do agree that the older (60+ maybe?) you are, it would probably get rougher.
mamahoffour

Post by mamahoffour »

I don't have an answer to your question but we have taken international flights of 30 total hours with our small kids. We flew to Europe. I was surprised that we found plenty of similar items in their grocery stores. I packed quite a bit of "baby food" in our carry on just to have it with me but we ended up not needing most of it. We had a kitchen in the apartment we rented and I was able to make what I needed. I would also like to know where you are going because I can help direct to substitutions as that will probably be less stressful for you in the long run.
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

an_asker wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:53 am I am really curious where you are going that is a sum of two 12+ hour trips. I would posit that most places would be accessible in less time going the other direction.
I am going from the East Coast of US to Sydney Australia. You are correct going west would have been about 7-8 hours shorter (with optimum routing/layover). I am going the less direct route because that is what I could get on points on the specific dates I wanted and both legs of my flight will be on international business vs a shorter leg in domestic first/economy. I am flying Etihad so I'll have a five hour layover in Abu Dhabi. On balance with all factors considered this was the optimum way for me to get there.
Zeno

Post by Zeno »

deleted
Last edited by Zeno on Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

OP, why are you doing this? Just buy what you need when you arrive at your destination.
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:30 pm OP, why are you doing this? Just buy what you need when you arrive at your destination.
+1! Australia should have almost everything you can get here.
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

If it is a reasonable quantity you can ask the air hostess to put it in the galley refrigerator. I sat next to a guy who did this once on a trip from Oslo to Amsterdam. He had a large package of whale meat he was planning to cook to troll his Dutch friends.
student

Post by student »

snackdog wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:11 am If it is a reasonable quantity you can ask the air hostess to put it in the galley refrigerator. I sat next to a guy who did this once on a trip from Oslo to Amsterdam. He had a large package of whale meat he was planning to cook to troll his Dutch friends.
:shock:
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

It would be nice to hear back from the OP. :)
Topic Author
need403bhelp

Post by need403bhelp »

Seems the best way to start a hot thread on Bogleheads is to post a question and then leave for a few days... ;)

Sorry, just busy with life.

We are traveling to SE Asia. It is DW's home country. DW wants to bring the refrigerated baby food (it is sold refrigerated, is NOT shelf stable, also says cannot be frozen). DS is pretty picky so I understand, although I worry it will spoil. Most things in this country are done with bribes, so I suspected any customs issues will be taken care of this way (usually call to DW's parents who call someone they know etc). Unfortunately, this makes quality control for products sold in stores also quite poor in this country, so I'm not sure I would feel comfortable with baby food there. DS can eat real food and does so, but again is quite picky...

My main reason for posting was more regarding how to transport said food and specific question re container - for example, https://www.amazon.com/RTIC-Latches-Ins ... RB3DK?th=1 or something similar?

I think Dry Ice would be tough, we actually fly 2 separate airlines (could do whole other post) although our only layover is in US. Also, technically pouches are not supposed to be frozen, so may be too cold.

I think the empty zip lock bags idea is a great one as we will carry on some items, as is the thermometer with low-high memory.

Any other comments on specific containers would be appreciated. DW is not changing her mind re bringing the food, the only question is how to best do so.

Thank you, all, for your comments to date. I have read them all, but haven't had time for individual replies, unfortunately.
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

These things are amazing. You can get various sizes and they stay frozen much longer then a normal ice pack.

https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Shock-Reu ... B07VVGGBQS

Combined with a yeti quality cooler you’d probably be fine, assuming the luggage doesn’t spend 10 hours on the tarmac in Mumbai, etc
“… the fact remains that buying a nominal bond ladder to defease future living expenses can prove disastrous.” - Bill Bernstein | | “…something unusual happens—usually.” - Nassim Taleb
Watty

Post by Watty »

need403bhelp wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:27 pm DW is not changing her mind re bringing the food, the only question is how to best do so.
If you will be catching a connecting flight anywhere in the middle east then you can expect the security to be tighter than normal and airport crowds to be heavier than normal because the World Cup is being played in Qatar soon.

I would suggest that the luggage with the food in it should have her name on the luggage tag and that it be checked on her ticket. That way if there is a problem with customs she would be the one that has to deal with being interrogated.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

need403bhelp wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:27 pm
We are traveling to SE Asia. It is DW's home country. DW wants to bring the refrigerated baby food (it is sold refrigerated, is NOT shelf stable, also says cannot be frozen). DS is pretty picky so I understand, although I worry it will spoil.
How long is your trip (overall, not just the air travel… presumably you are staying days or weeks at your destination) and how much food are you planning to transport?
Scotttheking

Post by Scotttheking »

Get a top rated soft sided cooler, fill it with stuff and ice packs, put it in a suitcase, check it. I’ve done that before, it’ll be fine.
AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe »

need403bhelp wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:27 pm We are traveling to SE Asia. It is DW's home country. DW wants to bring the refrigerated baby food (it is sold refrigerated, is NOT shelf stable, also says cannot be frozen). DS is pretty picky so I understand, although I worry it will spoil. Most things in this country are done with bribes, so I suspected any customs issues will be taken care of this way (usually call to DW's parents who call someone they know etc). Unfortunately, this makes quality control for products sold in stores also quite poor in this country, so I'm not sure I would feel comfortable with baby food there. DS can eat real food and does so, but again is quite picky...
I live in Vietnam, which is where you are traveling to.

Your understanding of quality control in any reputable store is off base. There are thousands of foreigners, including rich expat executives, who have no problem with the baby food here for their toddlers. I have two toddlers and also know dozens of other parents with similar age kids. Zero issues with any of the baby food here.

(Irresistible urge to point out that it was America that recently had a baby formula crisis due to poor quality control, not Vietnam.)

If your child is picky enough that your need specific brands then it is definitely worth checking how available those are here. Feel free to send me a private message if you need help checking that.
Topic Author
need403bhelp

Post by need403bhelp »

TravelGeek wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:07 am
need403bhelp wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:27 pm
We are traveling to SE Asia. It is DW's home country. DW wants to bring the refrigerated baby food (it is sold refrigerated, is NOT shelf stable, also says cannot be frozen). DS is pretty picky so I understand, although I worry it will spoil.
How long is your trip (overall, not just the air travel… presumably you are staying days or weeks at your destination) and how much food are you planning to transport?
2 weeks. I think we plan to bring enough so DS has his comfort foods while hopefully will also eat some of the things cooked locally by family.
Scotttheking wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:20 am Get a top rated soft sided cooler, fill it with stuff and ice packs, put it in a suitcase, check it. I’ve done that before, it’ll be fine.
Thanks, I am going with:
Soft cooler - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09WPPJF4M?ps ... ct_details
Ice packs - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0773 ... UTF8&psc=1
Thermometer logger - https://www.thermoworks.com/thermadata-lite/

I think the last one is a bit of a splurge, but we could also use it during the next power outage to make sure the food in our fridge stays good (we seem to have these more often than we'd like, despite being in one of 10 largest US cities in the center of town).
AlohaJoe wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:27 am
need403bhelp wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:27 pm We are traveling to SE Asia. It is DW's home country. DW wants to bring the refrigerated baby food (it is sold refrigerated, is NOT shelf stable, also says cannot be frozen). DS is pretty picky so I understand, although I worry it will spoil. Most things in this country are done with bribes, so I suspected any customs issues will be taken care of this way (usually call to DW's parents who call someone they know etc). Unfortunately, this makes quality control for products sold in stores also quite poor in this country, so I'm not sure I would feel comfortable with baby food there. DS can eat real food and does so, but again is quite picky...
I live in Vietnam, which is where you are traveling to.

Your understanding of quality control in any reputable store is off base. There are thousands of foreigners, including rich expat executives, who have no problem with the baby food here for their toddlers. I have two toddlers and also know dozens of other parents with similar age kids. Zero issues with any of the baby food here.

(Irresistible urge to point out that it was America that recently had a baby formula crisis due to poor quality control, not Vietnam.)

If your child is picky enough that your need specific brands then it is definitely worth checking how available those are here. Feel free to send me a private message if you need help checking that.
Thanks. I think that may very well be true in Saigon, but we are going somewhere where I don't think there are any or very few foreign executives (there is one bi-national corporation there but the foreign workers have their own "city" which has its own "stores," and I don't think we can go there). Also, to be fair, we even have trouble finding the specific food in stock in our local neighborhood stores (it seems things go in and out of stock quite a bit, including baby food), so I'd really worry about its availability in VN even if it was normally available.

Thanks for your help, though!
Scotttheking

Post by Scotttheking »

Be aware linked cooler says 24 hour cooler. One I used (I forget brand) was rated at 2-3 days.
Topic Author
need403bhelp

Post by need403bhelp »

Scotttheking wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:04 pm Be aware linked cooler says 24 hour cooler. One I used (I forget brand) was rated at 2-3 days.
I see, thank you. Was this a soft cooler or a hard cooler? Wirecutter said this one is more insulated than the Yeti alternative, and Yeti doesn't make claims re how long it is rated so don't know.

I do plan to test the cooler first with the sensor just in our house to see what happens. I realize this may not mimick the conditions we may experience on the flight.

Any other cooler recommendations also much appreciated.
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

In addition to customs issue, there is also risk of baggage being delayed/lost. What then? What's your Plan B? If Plan B does not involve starvation, then maybe Plan B should be the Plan A to begin with.
theac

Post by theac »

need403bhelp wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:53 am
Scotttheking wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:04 pm Be aware linked cooler says 24 hour cooler. One I used (I forget brand) was rated at 2-3 days.
I see, thank you. Was this a soft cooler or a hard cooler? Wirecutter said this one is more insulated than the Yeti alternative, and Yeti doesn't make claims re how long it is rated so don't know.

I do plan to test the cooler first with the sensor just in our house to see what happens. I realize this may not mimick the conditions we may experience on the flight.

Out of curiosity, I looked up how cold the cargo hold can get, and it looks like it will be a lot colder than the passenger or animal-transport areas. So that will help in your situation. Found this:

Many are surprised to hear that the cargo hold in the belly of an airliner is pressurized. Conditioned air is directed from the cabin, so the air tends to be a little cooler by the time it reaches the cargo areas, which are also less insulated than the cabin. Cargo temperatures vary in our fleet. The Boeing 767 maintains its baggage hold above 7˚C, but the bulk area (where animals are carried) can be heated above 18˚C. Controlled temperature cargo bins are also available when temperature–sensitive goods are being shipped.

https://enroute.aircanada.com/en/aviati ... gage-hold/
"We keep you alive to serve this ship. Row well...and live." Ben Hur...and The Taxman! hahaha (a George Harrison song)
BatBuckeye

Post by BatBuckeye »

I think your question is will your plan keep the baby food cold.
Do a test. Get your cooler. Pack as planned. Wait 30 hours and check the temperature.

I doubt the people who check bags are sympathetic but you could place a picture of your child next to the food.
And, you could include a label, "This baby food is for ____".

I would warn my wife, that I plan to say to everyone that asks why are we doing this, "This is what my wife wants ...".

Previously there was a post questioning how to maintain a toddler on a flight. My daughter traveled with scotch tape. It will keep them busy for quite a while. Maybe not 30 hours though.
teCh0010

Post by teCh0010 »

bob60014 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:10 pm I'll ask the obvious. What's your destination? If not a third world country or having special dietary needs, most if not all items should be able to be purchased upon arrival. It may eliminate some hassle and spoilage. ;)
You don’t understand how pissed off toddlers can get about change.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

I would look at websites aimed at people who go off the grid for hiking and the like. Lots of serious enthusiasts giving good advice. For instance, this article seems to indicate that the RTIC has a 5 rating for insulation and several others are at 7-9. The top ranked cooler stayed below 40 degrees for 3 days.

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/c ... oft-cooler
Topic Author
need403bhelp

Post by need403bhelp »

Katietsu wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:42 am

I would look at websites aimed at people who go off the grid for hiking and the like. Lots of serious enthusiasts giving good advice. For instance, this article seems to indicate that the RTIC has a 5 rating for insulation and several others are at 7-9. The top ranked cooler stayed below 40 degrees for 3 days.

Thanks. I did see that site but looks like their top pick has 4 reviews total on Amazon (!). They also do use affiliate links so benefit from their recommendations.

Do you know the site from personal experience?

It seems like safest bet could be the Yeti M20 (not listed on that site)
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

need403bhelp wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:28 pm

Thanks. I did see that site but looks like their top pick has 4 reviews total on Amazon (!). They also do use affiliate links so benefit from their recommendations.

Unfortunately, it is hard to judge reviews and advice. Amazon reviews used to be so much more useful. I have used the Outdoor Gear Lab reviews.

I have not used a soft cooler for multiple day use. But I do think you can do better than your initial selection.

Anyway, here is a review from an Outdoors magazine of the Outdoor Gear Lab review site. How meta is that?

“Outdoor Gear Lab
Head-to-head gear tests

Good for: Head to head comparisons of camping, backpacking, and climbing gear.
Written by: Chris McNamara, who has climbed El Capitan more than 70 times, holds nine big wall speed-climbing records, and is the cofounder of the popular climbing website, Supertopo.com.
McNamara and company beat the b’jeezu out of gear by employing lab tests and field tests. Multiple testers take products out in the field, often for months at a time, divulge all testing criteria, and rate items in multiple categories. Not enough for you? They also have video reviews.”
Topic Author
need403bhelp

Post by need403bhelp »

Katietsu wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:37 pm
need403bhelp wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:28 pm

Unfortunately, it is hard to judge reviews and advice. Amazon reviews used to be so much more useful. I have used the Outdoor Gear Lab reviews.

I have not used a soft cooler for multiple day use. But I do think you can do better than your initial selection.

Anyway, here is a review from an Outdoors magazine of the Outdoor Gear Lab review site. How meta is that?

“Outdoor Gear Lab
Head-to-head gear tests

Good for: Head to head comparisons of camping, backpacking, and climbing gear.
Written by: Chris McNamara, who has climbed El Capitan more than 70 times, holds nine big wall speed-climbing records, and is the cofounder of the popular climbing website, Supertopo.com.
McNamara and company beat the b’jeezu out of gear by employing lab tests and field tests. Multiple testers take products out in the field, often for months at a time, divulge all testing criteria, and rate items in multiple categories. Not enough for you? They also have video reviews.”
Thank you so much! What do you think of:

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/ ... vas-cooler

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/ ... ol-haul-18

for our trip. These seem to have done very well in their insulation tests and are smaller than their top choices which seem pretty big for our purposes.

Thanks again!
Scotttheking

Post by Scotttheking »

Found it: https://polarbearcoolers.com/collections/soft-coolers Is what we used to fly food to Asia. Packed it, closed it, then put it inside a suitcase for protection.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

need403bhelp wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:16 pm Thank you so much! What do you think of:

for our trip. These seem to have done very well in their insulation tests and are smaller than their top choices which seem pretty big for our purposes.

Thanks again!
The numbers look good. I am a fan of REI but it seems that either would meet your needs.
Topic Author
need403bhelp

Post by need403bhelp »

Katietsu wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:23 pm
need403bhelp wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:16 pm Thank you so much! What do you think of:

Thanks again!
The numbers look good. I am a fan of REI but it seems that either would meet your needs.
Thanks, we’ll get the REI one.

We are also planning to bring several of the pouches on the plane itself . I am thinking of the below to carry them on, any suggestions with respect to below or other options? Thanks!

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/ ... er-flip-12