Dining Room Table Top Material Pros/Cons

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
GmanJeff

Dining Room Table Top Material Pros/Cons

Post by GmanJeff »

Can anyone discuss their experience with ceramic (e.g. from Calligaris) or wood dining room table top materials? Ceramic is said to be heat, moisture, stain, and chip resistant, while wood would seem to require either a glass top or diligent use of a tablecloth and/or trivets to protect against surface damage from normal use. The newer ceramic styles seem to be fashionable now, and do provide a cleaner look suitable for a modern/contemporary style, but I wonder how they hold up, and whether owners are happy with them?

Re: Dining Room Table Top Material Pros/Cons

Post by 123 »

GmanJeff wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:48 pm ...The newer ceramic styles seem to be fashionable now, and do provide a cleaner look suitable for a modern/contemporary style, but I wonder how they hold up, and whether owners are happy with them?
The risk of something that is very fashionable is that it can become very dated very quickly. To have a modern/contemporary style often requires a whole set of matching or related pieces. Classic materials, like wood, often work well with a variety of styles and surrounding pieces.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
bradinsky

Post by bradinsky »

We have an oak oval dining room table. We use a custom table pad & always a tablecloth. The pad is a great insulator against moisture, scratches, heat & scorch marks.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

I like wood. We always use place mats and trivets (usually cork) and don't find that to be a problem. We did have a wood table with a high shine once which showed micro-scratches in certain light so we now have one with a more natural looking matte finish which is much easier to care for. It also looks less formal which we prefer. As someone else mentioned, we typically stay away from trendy furnishings as they go out of style quickly. We like high quality furniture which is more expensive but also lasts longer, particularly if it's cared for properly.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
TrueNorth33

Post by TrueNorth33 »

We have owned several wood dining room tables and have ordered a glass cut to size from a local glass shop. The wood is obviously visible and never have to worry about someone scratching it or placing something hot on it causing blemishes.
MJS

Post by MJS »

A ceramic top signals: our family uses this table. Crafts, feet, chemistry kits, homework & office work, cooking, and yes, eating. We can drop wet swimsuits & towels here. For formal occasions, we use a nice tablecloth.

Take a look at wet bench types: https://labtechsupplyco.com/different-t ... -purposes/ for some ideas.

(I myself have a nice walnut table, and use coasters and mats. I like the warmth, and can polish out most dents, scratches & scorches.)
Ipsa scientia potestas est. Bacon F. Meditationes Sacrae.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

We use our table top. If company comes, we put a nice table cloth on it to hide imperfections. It seems like a lot less work than trying to protect it in pristine condition. If it gets too bad, I'll just sand it and refinish it.
vineviz

Post by vineviz »

lthenderson wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:56 am We use our table top. If company comes, we put a nice table cloth on it to hide imperfections. It seems like a lot less work than trying to protect it in pristine condition. If it gets too bad, I'll just sand it and refinish it.
Same here. We raised three kids and our dining room table is no longer pristine but every mark has a story (even if we've forgotten most of them).
"Far more money has been lost by investors preparing for corrections than has been lost in corrections themselves." ~~ Peter Lynch
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

TrueNorth33 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:45 am We have owned several wood dining room tables and have ordered a glass cut to size from a local glass shop. The wood is obviously visible and never have to worry about someone scratching it or placing something hot on it causing blemishes.
We also have a very nice wooden table and have a glass top to protect the wood. Our table is not square or rectangular which increases the cost of the glass a lot as it has to be cut to fit. We had to replace the glass top once because it was broken while cleaning. It cost $400 to replace the glass for a 42x66 table. Ouch!

We used the table for a while without the glass and it has the scratches and dinks to show for it. The top is veneer and will require a pro to refinish. I have refinished cabinets and other furniture, but do not have the skill to do that.
ShaftoesSpreadsheet

Post by ShaftoesSpreadsheet »

Our table top is birch wood, finished with "Tried and True finish" which is made from beeswax and linseed oil. No chemicals, VOCs, etc. Great for kids and pets.

What I love about it is, I can sand down a spot where there are scribbles and refinish just that area. Within minutes the whole thing looks like new. With polyurethane or other varnishes, you can't easily spot treat one area.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

We have wood, antique, from the late 1800’s, been in the family since it was bought at an antique shop in the late 40’s. It was the table my wife’s family had when she was a kid, and the one we used when raising our kids. It doesn’t look sturdy at all, but it’s had everything happen to it, and been repaired and refinished multiple times. The cool thing about solid wood is that you can do that. Not sure you can repair or refinish most modern furniture.

We use a trivets and placemats for everyday, tablecloths when we want to get fancy.

We have a kitchen table with a ceramic tile top. It looks nice in it’s 1990’s sort of way, but that ceramic tile makes it freaking heavy.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.